Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best.
Speaker 2: Feeling you can have.
Speaker 1: Because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Shan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your h it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep wedding. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Money Making Conversations Masterclass. This is a good show that I set up in twenty seventeen to sit down and interview people about their success stories, so entrepreneurs, celebrities. Originally start out with celebrities because I felt that people wanted to hear from celebrities. They wanted to hear their stories, and I wouldraw those numbers and ratings and everybody will want to hear the show and listen to sex stories or celebrities. They'll realize people don't care by celebrities. They want to care about. They want to hear about people like you that listen to the show, entrepreneurs, everyday people. They want to hear about people nonprofits that are making a difference in the community. I'm not saying I don't do celebrities on the show, but I realize is that every day wins. The everyday person who has something to say, that's doing something in the community on a regular basis is the person that is impacted by the listeners who listen to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. So let's get to show rolling. Not saying my guest is not a celebrity, but I'm saying that he's an impactful person in the community, a person you definitely want to hear from. He's best suited to address questions that intersects young leaders with leadership, teamwork, motivational and personal development, which are all key components when you are trying to be successful in life. Please welcome to the Money Making Conversation Master Class. Omar L Harris, How.
Speaker 2: Are you doing?
Speaker 3: Omar, hey Rishan, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me well, thank you for coming on the show. And I was just pointing out that you are the new stars man everyday people. You know, you ain't got one billion social media follows, but you have motivation, you have information, and you have a resume that people want to hear about. What is the basis of the foundation for what your brand is all about?
Speaker 3: Omar, The foundation really is all about leadership and more important, servant leadership. Servant leadership is the concept that the higher of you going on an organization organization, the higher and greater responsibility you have to lead and to affect the employees in your care and servants support them to help them achieve their goals and develop them and coach them, and so it's not about we over me. Is the attitude of a serving leader basically like, how can we achieve bigger and more ambitious goals together, leave nobody behind and collectively impact the community, customers and the environment and even shareholders. But it all starts with the intention of the leader themselves, with the leader.
Speaker 1: And is that somebody that's appointed or somebody just assumes that opportunity.
Speaker 3: So basically, you know, leadership can be a title, so basically you can you can think of someone who has a title like director or manager or whatnot, but leadership is actually earned, not given. So people can follow you because of your title, right because they have to. But the most effective leaders people follow them because they want to because of the way that individual connects with them, builds trust with them, and demonstrates their true intention is for the good of that human being or those human beings in their charge. And so that's really much more effective of getting things done when people lean into you because of how you lead, not because of what your title is. Right.
Speaker 1: That really is interesting when you say it like that, because of the fact that some people can lead based on fear, based on repercussions, based on but that's not the right level of leadership if you want loyalty correct exactly.
Speaker 3: I call those individuals bosses. And I wrote a book be a Jedi Leader, not a Boss? What reason everyone talking about bossing? And I think, you know, being the boss of oneself cool, very empowering, very very very inspiring. But when you aspire to boss other people, people don't even understand where the word boss comes from. The word boss comes from the word Dutch for master, and it was actually implemented after slavery to keep us calling people master. So when you use the word boss, there's a very heavy conversation to that terminology that we should really move away from. No one should want to ever be called a boss in the workplace. But if you're giving, if you call coach, or called manager or called leader, these are much more aspirational and more effective titles to lean into.
Speaker 1: Well, you know when I listen to you, Omar, that that journey start is some Well, I know, like I said, you know you pick up information along the way. I know I did. You know, people mentored me, people told me, Rashan, you should do this, even though I wanted to take the easy route. You know, there's always to do. What you should be doing is always the harder route. Don't you agree, O mark on Hun.
Speaker 3: Agree with that? Yes, it would do the hard things first, I say, the heart things first.
Speaker 1: And so how did it all start for you? You know where you where you based at now? And where did you start?
Speaker 3: So I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina. Now they're a long winding road to Charlotte. I was born in Pittsburgh. But I would save my journey to leadership again at the illustrious Florida A and M University in Tema. Me La, Yes, sir, and you know, I was in the School of Business and Industry and that's where we're basically. They called us the Marines of business schools because of how we would go through this boot camp process and then come out the other side as primed and prepped leaders were to take on the corporate world. And I did take on the corporate world. For over twenty years, I worked in pharmaceuticals from the US, Latin America, Middle East, middles and Asia. Of course, for twenty year career, I've lived everywhere from Brazil to Turkey to Indonesia over the course of my career, leading teams and organizations of different sizes and scopes and really get to test my brand of leadership around the world, which is why I know that it's truly unique and applicable because it's not just theoretical. A lot of people you talk to are talking from a space of theory or what makes sense, but I'm talking from a space of actual practicality what I've actually done over the course of my career living around the world.
Speaker 1: And that's important. Now let's break down this whole living around the world and exercising leaderships in those different moments because I'm sure, you're dealing with different types of people, different RACESM Ginger, and let's walk through those different steps of what was what has been What is the most challenging when you are leading around the world, But then what allows you the most satisfaction when you do lead around the world.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, the most challenging aspect of leading around the world to me was leading in places where the actual culture, the culture goes against my leadership style. So for example, in Indonesia, they are a very indirect culture and I'm a very direct individual, and they actually very much respond to hierarchy. So basically, if you don't have a title in Indonesia, it's hard to get things done because people only respect title. And I went in there with this whole idea of flattening the hierarchy, getting rid of titles, and just doing the right things for the good of patients. Can We were working in a pharmaceutical context, and that was very challenging to get people to actually lean in and believe in me because I wasn't coming from a position of hierarchy. I wasn't imposing, I wasn't telling people what to do. I was trying to engage them in the purpose of our organization and then get to do the right thing because they believe in the purpose, which is a lot harder to do as a leader, but it's also much more sustainable. Once people connect with purpose, they connect their individual purpose to the organization's purpose, then you're off to the races. So that was a really great lab for me to actually implement and see how how much I really believe in my leadership philosophy is because it would have been very easy to discard those and just lean into hierarchies that do it because I tell you to do it. But I never did that. I made sure that I led through supporting and serving and not dictating and directing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting when you talk about leadership, you know, because everybody wants to believe there are a leader. You know, they're like you said, there are natural ways to leadership. There as assigned leadership. But we was trying to manage. Is there when I use the word management and leadership? Am I used in? Are they different terms? Management and leadership?
Speaker 3: Actually? Are? There's three terms? Actually? I think I said there's three modes of let's get lead, three modes of leadership. There's manager mode, coach mode and leader mode. Okay, so you're in leader mode when you are inspiring and motivating and performance. So basically when you're leaning into purpose and say listen, we're trying to achieve this vision with a big visionary. And when you're inspiring and motivating, your leading because you're getting people to follow you. When you're coaching, you are working with people on an individual or group basis to correct or to enhance behaviors. So you're coaching basically try to dial up positive behaviors and dial down negative behaviors. And when you're managing, you are focusing on the work being done itself, so how the quality and the care being put into the work itself is being managed. Basically, achieving key performance indicators and these types of terminology is what you're doing fundamentally when you're managing a business or managing people.
Speaker 1: Now I'm talking to amar L Harris. Omar L Harris, he basically talking about leadership, teamwork, motivation, and personal development. Reason I bring this up because you know, we have so many people listening to the show to have some all business or they may be you know, in major corporations, and when you walk into a session or employees. You might have twenty different people, but all different persons, and you've laid out three pillows there. So when you look at it, because everybody works differently. Some people are self motivated. Some people you have to you have to get in and get get to get the work out of them. Some people show up on time, some people want to stay late. And then you have different gender tones and ethnicities. Now, people listening to this show, and because I'm not talking about the military, that's a whole different conversation. I'm talking about that forty hour week person. How does your structure come into play when you're dealing with so many different personalities as well as different gender.
Speaker 3: Well, this is why leadership is hard work for Storm, because it's not It's not why do you take the big bucks? This is to ask peop well, why do you want to be a leader of your groupe? Because they want the salary, they want to bag, they want to they want the status. But you know, with great status, the great responsibility. Now what are you going to do? Now you're a leader? What are you gonna do? Who's gonna follow you? Right? And so you have to the goal of a leader is you have to individualize leadership to your point, what I need to know what where everybody on my in my organization is on their journey. I just know who to direct, who to coach, who to empower, who to delegate to. And that's not going to be the same group of people. And depending on that's with I have to adjust my style to the needs of my people. That's what it means. By serving them from leadership, I'm serving you by adapting my style, meeting me where you are and helping you get to the next level. It's a lot of work to be a leader, so people who leadership is thrown around a lot, but there's very few actual leaders leading in this way in the world unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Well, you know it's important when I when I bring yourself and I smile because of the fact that you know you want to be a leader. You want that responsibility comes with leadership. But like you said, it's so mentally draining, and and you hire people because I'm in the position to hire people, in the position to also terminate people, but you want to You don't hire people to terminate them. You hire them and hopefully you made the best decision because you go through a weed out process did you brought a person on board that meets the stand that you have, But then that person has to be assimilated into the culture, you know, And that's what I'm assuming the management comes in there and then you the leadership has to allow them to talk to your other employees to allow them to understand the strategy of how this person is going to be positioned into the workflow. But what fails sometime is that you just want people just to fit in and do their job. Sometimes you just get tired, O, Mark, Can you can you just do it? Can you just do it?
Speaker 3: How? You know?
Speaker 1: And I say that when I smile because I know that if people listening on this car or listen to the show are there too, they go, hey, man, can I just hire somebody and they just do their job and I just go home? But that's not the case.
Speaker 3: Correct, We're sorry, we were detend of what your ultimate goal is, we over me. If you want to if the highest level of ambition requires the highest level of leadership. If you don't have high ambition, then you can do that. You can tell people what to do and they'll do it, and then they'll go home. But they're not going to engage and give themselves fully to the work, right, and so what you want I mean we're talking about We're talking about engagement because engagement leads to productivity, and if you want to inspire the highest level of productivity, you have to make the person feel essential to the work being done. Not just do this work, but bring your best self to doing the work, and bring your best self doing the work because you believe in the cause of the mission. And so that's where it gets really really tricking. It's hard for people to elevate themselves from bossing, get out of bossing and get into managing, coaching and leading. They have to negate and get rid of their self orientation and focus on what the other person needs to get to that level that they're already at because they already already achieved or they started the business, or they're in that position.
Speaker 1: Well, they got that job to cash in that check, and I'm looking at it. I'm going I got to get more out of them, because I want to get into one of your techniques, your motivational techniques. They incited to motivating warmth. And I'm very serious. You know, I've been in a position to hire people last last twenty years of my life, I've been hiring and securing people for full time job opportunities, and each one of them is different, but alone the way, Sometimes you can give people too much rope, too much opportunity, hoping and maybe even praying that they would get it. What is the motivational text needs I should be using so I won't get frustrated?
Speaker 3: Omar, So once again, go back to basic principles. Go back to childhood, when you first learn to ride a bike, right when you first learn how to ride a bike, that your mom or dad lets you ride around them there or the entire neighborhood wherever you want it. No, I told you you can ride in the yard right here, right right. You can ride the bike in the yard right here. Once you've proven you can ride the bike in the yard right here without killing yourself or hurting anybody else, you can go down the block to this point, come back, go down the block. Come back only after you've demonstrated that for a while. Well, I'll let you release the ring and allow you to ride the bike wherever you want. As it comes to gam maturity, so understanding, no matter what you expect of somebody coming into an organization. Everybody needs that goes through that process, whether they're very senior orhe that they're very junior, there's a process of onboarding where you need to basically define the boundaries for them in that initial stage, in this initial state that wants you to do in this kind of work. I'm going to release you, but I need to see you do this kind of thing well first. And so this gives them confidence to get things done in an effective way. They build their confidence and you build your trust in them. That allows you to release them to go further and further and further faster in their journey and so motivationally. Create the boundaries initially for what you want someone to do. Don't just have someone come in the door and dump all the work that wasn't being done on this individual. Like figure it out. That's what usually happens. People come in you like figure it out right because you don't want to be bothered with it. You want to basically hand off the work. But if you do that, you're going to bury the person. They're not gonna be motivated, they're not gonna be engaged, and they're going to see that it was all about you in the first place, not about them. Well you so take a step to do that help them out.
Speaker 1: We know, Oh, something you said really key in this whole conversation with the word on boarding, and that is something I had to learn. We're going to take a break when we come back. I want to bring that at the top of the conversation. The on boarding process that you have to put in play when you bring in a new employee in so they can understand the culture. If you don't on board them and just have them walk out there and just kind of figure out on their own, you're going to have a problem. And I've had that problem in the past and own boarding and HR plays a major role in correcting those issues. Be right back with more money Making Conversations master Class and my guests Omar L. Harris, thank you. Be right back.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with there's more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking to Omar L. Harris, and he's educating me. He's allowed me to speak honestly about how I have dealt with employees that I've hired over the years. And hopefully the information that he's given me is hitting home with some of the people who are listening to the show. And you know, Omar, when I sit down and think about myself as an individual, you know, sometimes you can you know, it can be daunting task because you have a budget for a number of employees you can hire, and so there's a certain level of expectation that you need to see happen in that position that you hire. But the own body process, it's where I was failing miserably when I was bringing new employees on that on board. Can you expound on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this is actually something that I went through in my leadership journey as well, where I, you know, basically assumed because someone had a certain level of career maturity or title coming in the door, that I didn't need to kind of hold their hand on the way in. And what I realized is that you know, previous experience, previous is you know, uh, success is context dependent. So just because you were successful in a previous context. Just because Lebron James won a championship in Cleveland on meet, he's an won one in LA right, So you have to still be on boarded into the organization, the culture, the values, the principles and expectations. And so what I began doing was realizing that HR was the only going to help me so much. So HR was only going to basically bring people into the culture and help them meet other individuals, but they weren't going to get on board to my expectations and my leadership styles, and we weren't going to be able to trust fright from the beginning. So I innovated a three hour onboarding conversation that I had with each person who directly reported into me. So I spent three hours in the first two weeks with every person who were directly reported into me, whether I'd inherited them or whether I hired them, and built trust, conversed about styles, conversed about strengths, creating powerful partnerships. We've discussed our expectations, we discussed upcoming priorities, and I explained to them, I'm giving you ninety days to get up to speed, and so I'm going to support you really hold your hand for ninety days. At not to day ninety one. The training will go off if you're going around the block, but for ninety days, listen, come to me for everything you need. I am here to give you all the support you need to make sure you are successful. I want to set you up for success. And so that to some leaders, that's a tremendous burden. It's like, oh, I have to do that, well, okay, if you don't do it, the implication of not doing that kind of action, whether that be one hour or three hours or any amount of time, is that this person is not going to connect with you right away. They're not going to understand the parameters and expectations of how they're being measured and what's going to make them successful. And they're not going to have permission to come to you to ask all their questions that they have, or to get directed to resources within the organization to get their questions asked. Because the biggest thing to success when you're doing an organization is knowing the whens hows, who's what's wise. You have to get all that stuff answered in order for you to be set out for success. That takes around ninety days giving people that grace is really important. Giving them that support is really important, that you can watch them fly.
Speaker 1: Right, it's really important. And also you know that ninety day window usually is the probation window that you give employees, So it's important to keep that eye. And that's what the holy evaluation process comes in, because again, all these things matter because people come to work for you. One, they've accepted the job based on the income that you're offering them along the way, they are not going to be satisfied with that salary a year from now or two years. They might not be satisfied ninety days from now, and so you have to evaluate that. And when in speaking to you, Omar, when you're talking about leadership, when you're a small business owner and an entrepreneur, you are the leader. You know, you're not working for a fortune five hundred company. What are some of the advice for aspiring entrepreneurs starting new business and maintaining you know, the the resilience of facing these challenges that they should do, or there's some steps like we talked about HR. We talked about HR is just the starting point. You have to take it to the rest. What are some of the some of the building points for an entrepreneur, I would take.
Speaker 3: A step back. When you're an entrepreneur, you know that every hire counts, right, you cannot really afford to make bad hiring decisions because every individual you're bringing is going to be doing more than whatever your title for them is anyway, because you're small, right, and when you're smaller, to do everything. So what I tell people is to prioritize behaviors over pedigree. So it doesn't matter where you went to school, doesn't matter what your previous experiences in your resume. What I care about is what I call the whom. The whom so I want to understand your work ethic, your heart so basically shared passion, your optimism which is a O, and your maturity when I get I calibrate this actually via a questionnaire that I have in my first book, Read Aboard the DNA of High Performance Teams. But basically this process of whome interviewing allows me to calibrate and bring in a right what I call team DNA right from the start, so I don't make hiring mistakes. I make sure I bring in a right team DNA, and then I can mold that DNA towards task and what's happening within the business. But it's hard to fix a mistake you've made in a hiring processing. You know, if you hire somebody poorly, or you hired poorly, you know that this is a very costly, timely mistake and it can really take the wind out of the sales of small business especially well.
Speaker 1: You know, let's be real. Now, when you hire somebody, they may have had another job they've left, so you just kind of it has been maturity on both sides here. Maturity that you've made a mistake in your hiring, but you've also asked this person to trust you in the hiring process. So if you've hired the wrong person, you have to take on responsibility. And I think this is what Omar is saying. When you're on board somebody, there has to be handholding. You just can't push somebody in the corner where you've got a master's degree or you got experience in computer science or you got to experience in accounting, go do what you do because this person has come on board into your company, bought into your culture, and you just can't go, well, I've hired the wrong person. Maybe you've shown bad leadership when do we accept responsibility that we are not doing our job Omar as.
Speaker 3: Leaders, Oh yeah, this is the most important thing. Is a concept called the window in the mirror. And so the window in the mirror concept is basically this, uh, it's true. Leaders what they do is when they are when it when it comes time to give praise and look out the window, so basically trying to look for people to get praise too. But when it comes time to take accountability for actions and look in the mirror, so you look at yourself. So basically the first port of call for for when things go bad, look in the mirror, look at what you did wrong, raise your own self awareness and understand where you could have improved yourself and admit and admit where you failed. But when it comes time to giving out praise, be generous, open out window and shout to the to the rooftops about the praise. And that's what real you know, as a very simple concept, but basically the window in the mirror allows you to think about what the role of the leader is. You have to take accountability, as you mentioned Shan, you have to take that accountability right and look at look at yourself and say hey, I screwed up. I got to fix it and I got to make it right.
Speaker 1: It's really and that's when you get into personal development and self improvement, both on the on the leadership side as well as the developer of the people that you high What are some of the tips on goal setting and self reflection?
Speaker 3: Well, so for goals, basically, you know, we have this, we have frameworks, you know, smart whatever it is. I think at the end of the day, what matters for goal setting is to make sure that the bar you're trying to achieve is attainable, but it is difficult, so it needs to be really ambitious. You want to make sure you have ambition in your goal. You want to stretch in your goal because people develop when they're stretched, when it's not just a layup. And so you want to make things what makes things detainable so they're achievable, So you want to make sure they have to We all have to work to get here. You know. It's sort of like you know, trying to climb Everest, right, we have to go one stage at a time, So our goal this time is going to be stage one, Stage two, Stage three, stage four, and we know and make sure you know when you get there, we have milestones and you celebrate success along the journey. So I think that's really really important in terms of goal setting, is it's to set up that frame in terms of your mind, in terms of making sure it is honestly attainable what you're trying to achieve, but not so easy that everybody hits the mark every time.
Speaker 1: Well, that's really important. So how can we reach out to you a website? Social media there, omar so we can you know gate because you mentioned several books, tell us some background on how we can now follow you.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate that. Rison. So my website www. Dot Omar Lharris dot com is the best place to get access and learn more about myself. On Amazon dot com Omar L. Harris, if you google Omar L. Harris, all my books will come up, and my socials will come up, and on Instagram omrl dot Harris and LinkedIn Omarl Harris. So basically made it pretty easy for you to find me.
Speaker 1: Well, greatful. First of all, thank you for coming on the show, because you know, this is the first time I've had a kind of like I believe I've given a leadership session on the show. From a standpoon of management, as paying a standpoint of strategy, because sometimes I have to look in the mirror. I have to understand that I invited these people and I put a indeed add in and saying I'm hiring that I have to go through the process of not just hiring the first person to come through the door because I'm I don't feel like doing this. I have to hire the best person because there's a commitment on both sides, the commitment that I'm going to welcome into a culture to give them an opportunity to succeed and also train them so they can succeed in the mindset of what my level of expectation is.
Speaker 3: That correct one hundred percent. And for me, I guesked me earlier how to I dot success of leadership And it comes down to I look back at my career, look at the amount of leaders that I've created who have gone and surpassed me in terms of leader corporate leadership, and that's how I did my success. If you achieve the level that I was at when I was leading you or but above that, that to me is success because true leaders make other leaders cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you allmar Harris for calling in and speaking to me on Money Making Conversations Master Class, because you have given us a class today, my friend, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, thank you, thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making COMversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts