Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: We talked about trains a bit in previous episodes. Ridiculous Historians, Max, Noel and I they call me Ben. We have a we have a classic, a blast from the past for.
Speaker 1: You, Noel.
Speaker 2: Once upon a time, rumor has it London made a train for the dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know you hear that, And there's a lot of places that your mind could go, like, is this like a spooky ghost train that only appears after midnight as some sort of transparent apparition?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did the monarchy discover life after death and decide to train the newly dead for some sort of career opportunities in the afterlife?
Speaker 1: I love it? Well, yes, and no kind of. It's up for interpretation there. Happy birthday, by the way, Max, but there is.
Speaker 2: Happy Birthday, Max, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, birthday's coming up. I know it's coming up. It's hard especially, Yeah, it's all I guess our birthdays are always in some former fashion.
Speaker 2: Coming shout out technically the truth.
Speaker 1: Indeed, So what we're talking about today is the story of the London Necropolis Railway. Uh, it was in fact a train for the dead. Let's just leave it at that and jump right.
Speaker 2: In Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Choo Choo Choo, Friends and neighbors all aboard. We want the train to run on time. My name is Ben.
Speaker 1: We are going off the rails on a train of the dead on. My name is Nolan. This is ridiculous history.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, alight. No, we are looking into something relatively morbid today. I would say even more so morbid than ridiculous. We're looking at a very particular railway in London.
Speaker 1: That's right. From eighteen fifty four to nineteen forty one, the London Necropolis Railway was operational. It took mourners and they're dearly departed on a forty minute, twenty three mile ride to a very specific cemetery outside of London Town.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey, which at the time was the largest cemetery in the world, or the largest acknowledged, and it came about through the efforts of something known as the London Necropolis Company. They were established in eighteen fifty two by an Act of Parliament. Because it turns out this wasn't just some grizzly macob lark. There wasn't you know, some creepy like Adams family type Gomez figure who wanted to cart dead people around London was in the grips of a crisis, a burial crisis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. It was actually a twofold problem because around about the mid nineteenth century, the cemeteries in London proper were just absurdly overcrowded because of a booming population that more than doubled from the early eighteen hundreds to the mid eighteen hundreds, not to mention that there was a pretty serious cholera outbreak, so London nurse were burying in the neighborhood of fifty thousand dead every year.
Speaker 2: Before the cholera epidemic. The cemeteries were so overcrowded that it was impossible to find a new grave without running into an older grave. So when the cholera epidemic hit in eighteen forty eight and killed almost fifteen thousand people from cholera alone, the bodies were left stacked like cordwood waiting to be buried, and people were exhuming even recent graves to make room for new corpses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a fantastic article from the BBC by Amanda Riggery and She says that one way of dealing with this is pretty grizzly, was actually digging up bodies and cremating them under cover of night. And the only way that you could escape this potential fate of your loved ones was if you had all the money. Just all the money. Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are going to encounter some very strange issues of class and social hierarchy here. So as the city falls into this christ they're trying to figure out how to address it. And there were a couple of different ideas that were tossed around with varying degrees of plausibility, but the one that won out was the idea of transporting the newly deceased, you know, the recently passed on from London proper to an area outside of it. That would be Brookwood Cemetery or the London Necropolis. As Noel mentioned, this isn't too far out of town thirty seven kilometers or so.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly right, twenty three miles or thirty seven kilometers outside of London. And this was all done in tandem. The railway was built at the same time as the Brookwood Cemetery to deal with this overcrowding, because you know, the folks that came up with this idea thought this would be a pretty elegant solution because it was not very efficient to take a horse drawn hearse with a single boy thirty kilometers out of town. That would just be a prohibitively long trip and just you know, how would you even accommodate all the people that wanted to go along for the procession. And the train was sort of a combination of that where you could have many people going at predetermined times each day. This train made this journey and it was kind of an all encompassing, for lack of a better term, kind of a package deal, right. It was the total package because not only did the mourners get transportation, there were even snacks provided. You could have these homemade sandwiches and things called fairy cakes, which are sort of the English equivalent of cupcakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, specifically ham sandwiches, and then take the same train back returning to London mid afternoon at three point thirty pm. This was an efficacious solution, but as you might imagine, folks, it was a very controversial one for a number of reasons. The Bishop of London testified on the proposal before a House of Common Slight committee in eighteen forty two, and he said, I consider it improper at present, we are not sufficiently habituated to that mode of traveling, not to consider the hurry and bustle connected with it as inconsistent with the solemnity of a Christian funeral. So he thought, you know, it was disrespectful to the dead and not blasphemous, but not proper in terms of the Christian religion.
Speaker 1: Do you think he was it was because of the noise, you know, the noisy engines, and just the nature of traveling by train, the fact that it was kind of considered newer technology. Maybe I wonder what his beef was. It's hard to tell specifically from that quote, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think you're on the right track though, on the right rail, ay, Because he did seem to feel that the technologlogy was impinging upon the traditions, the rituals of burial. And when we were looking into this earlier, I was wondering if it would be comparable to something like having someone skype in at a funeral today, like that would be controversial to some people, right, that's.
Speaker 1: A really good parallel. Ben, I kind of that's a really good way to look at it, and I think we've kind of hit on what this bishop's problem really was. But you know, the company that put all this together really did try to make it a solemn and comforting experience. The folks on the train were treated to some quite resplendent views, including Westminster, Hampton Court and Richmond Park. And you know, typically people that plan train routes looking for the most efficient path, not necessarily the most scenic, but this was a completely different animal, wasn't it. Yes. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: There's a book on this called the Brookwood Necropolis Railway by an author named John m clark, and in there he details some of the amenities that were available to the living and one of the other controversies that may be surprising for us today, which is that in addition to concerns about religious traditions, there were class concerns. After you had a relative or a loved one pass on, you could buy them a ticket for their coffin to go to Brookwood Cemetery. But you could buy one of three types of tickets, and we had the prices attached for this travel, right, like the fancy one first class that would be a pound, Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a pound, and it was divided up. You had to pay for the living and the dead as well.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, So live passengers were charged six shillings I believe for first class, so it was less expensive to transport the living, probably because of space. To be honest with you, we know it was five shillings for the dead and second class, a little over two shillings in third class. And we did some of the math here, so in eighteen fifty four one British pound from eighteen fifty four today would be about eighty six pounds, so this was not an insignificant expense. This was still a pretty pricey endeavor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, funerals to this day totally still are. I found a review of a BBC four extra radio documentary about the Necropolis that has some interesting references to the signage one might have seen laying out these different classes and prices, and it's referred to here as corpses artisan five shillings, corpses pauper two shillings and sixpence. Oh wow, that's some pretty strong language, right.
Speaker 2: Pauper that's what they call third class copper and artisan I guess that would be like the mercantile class premium.
Speaker 1: I don't know artisan. I always think of artisan as like artisanal Jesus.
Speaker 2: Right, right, especially, you know, if you're in a fancy boutique of some sort. We don't usually associate the phrase artisan or artisanal with corpses.
Speaker 1: I guess you could have an artisan artisanal coffin though, right, like a handmade bespoke coffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, you absolutely could. We're just not used to thinking of actual human remains that way. And I'm glad that it's weird in this day and age, because isn't death supposed to be the great equalizer. This leads us to one of the concerns that baffled us, the social class idea. One of the worries that people had was that different social classes might mix. For that reason, there were separate carriages for each class. And this was the at the time, and so even though you know, a titan of banking and a very poor family could ride the same train and arrive at the same station, they would be segregated. And the cemetery itself, however, was not divided by class or status. It was divided by religion.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, once you're in the ground, we're all equal, right.
Speaker 2: Not if you're Anglican. They had their own spot.
Speaker 1: That's true. But at the same time, you could have that titan of industry buried next to a pauper that was in his same religion, unless you are such a titan of industry that you could afford a private plot somewhere like Highgate Cemetery, which was very exclusive and very expensive.
Speaker 2: And today in twenty eighteen is nol and our super producer Casey Pegrim and I record this. People in the West tend to keep death as far away from us as possible, right, But at the time, especially when the city is literally getting crowded with corpses, people were much more intimately familiar with the concept of mortality. And during its peak, London's Necropolis Railway transported more than two thousand corpses per year. That's you know, if we count the live mourners, then the number of bodies reaches the tens of thousands. This was a very successful thing. Also, there were bars, did you find that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, I mean, like you know, the concessions were licensed to serve alcohol and pints, so you know, if you opted to do that instead of a nice lemonade and a cupcake or a fairy cake as it were, you could, you know, get smashed.
Speaker 2: Which you know happens sometimes at wakes and other funereal rights.
Speaker 1: For sure. It's interesting that John Clark, who wrote the book you mentioned the Brookwood Necropolis Railway's overall he's he's just a railroad historian. He seemed to think that this was pretty forward thinking. He referred to it as pioneering, revolutionary and quoted as saying, as far as I know, it was the first use of the railway for a dedicated service from one private station directly into a cemetery at the other end. And a man by the name of George Nash we're in an essay called Pomp and Circumstance, Archaeology, Modernity and the Corporatization of Death. He notes that discretion was very important because the biggest railway station in London at the time was Waterloo Station, and the York Street station was built just far enough from that station. York Street was where you'd get on to catch the Necropolis train, was just far enough away to be separated from normal commuters in their day to day route, so it was all about kind of segmenting that while also making it accessible and speaking of being pioneering in terms of the technology, these trains had to be specially outfitted to store these coffins. They had leather straps and in fact Parliament mandated that the fares be capped, so it was even though it was a little pricey, the you know, poor people and rich people alike, couldn't be gouged, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: These were known as Hearse vans, and the Necropolis Company had the locomotives and passenger carriages on loan, but it owned the Hearse vans outright. In the beginning, each van had twelve partitions in two rows of six. Each of those spots could handle one coffin. In the later vans had around fourteen coffins. I guess per van. They were fitted with these partitions to divide first, second and third class coffins because God forbid that the poor and the wealthy right the same train, even as remains, and they continued to evolve these Hearse vans. It was an example of I don't want to say bleeding edge technology, but it was an example of ingenuity because it became a matter of numbers. They are literally, you know, moving bodies and calculating how much they make per unit.
Speaker 1: And the location was a big part of it too. In that BBC article called the Passenger Train Created to Carry the Dead, author Amanda Riggeri mentions that Waterloo had these railway arches that were able to temporarily store these corpses. So there was I'm going to go through the way she describes it in the article. She says, quote, most families have their loved ones picked up by a horse drawn hearst. The funeral procession would end at the station. There the coffins would be lifted into elevators that would carry them up to the platform level and onto the train, and those railway arches offered temporary storage if needed.
Speaker 2: And here we see another controversial point. So we had social class right, and we had the solemnity of religion. Both were seen as very valid points at the time. The third issue was that, according to Clark, most people aspired to be buried near where they lived and worked, So the idea of varying someone miles away from central London was a large and significant choice to make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a tough pill to swallow. But again we know that there just wasn't space, so I'm not sure how best to handle that. This seemed like a pretty elegant solution. One final taboo that we haven't even mentioned, this kind of staring us right in the face, is this idea of the living occupying the same vehicles as the dead. I mean, there was concern of things like odors from the dead and potential transmission of diseases even and so that was something to be considered as well. And like you said, Ben, it was seemingly successful with the amount of dead and mourners that were transported on this rail, but it didn't quite take off in the way that the creators hoped it would.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Clark says this in his book. The original aims of the company to effectively offer economic and sanitary burial well beyond the city limits forever if necessary. That could have been achieved, but the public, having the choice of burial place, decided otherwise, And it all came down to that issue of not wanting to be buried so far away from their home base thirty miles outside of town. That was a stretch for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And two other events influenced the fall of the Necropolis train. One which we cannot emphasize enough was the introduction of the motorized Terse in nineteen oh en. This started out slowly, but by the nineteen twenties it became more popular than the horse drawn hearse, which again, as you point out, was pretty expensive, and the train itself, which had its own sort of issues of propriety versus efficiency.
Speaker 1: It's true, and there was also that issue of timing because as we know, the trains run on a very specific schedule and a lot of folks couldn't take off work to meet these So unless the funeral or even you know, wanting to go visit a loved one took place on a Sunday, they had to take off work. And as this started to wane in popularity, which did happen, the frequency of these runs started to dwindle. But the true death now for this particular railway, came in nineteen forty one. During World War.
Speaker 2: Two, the London terminus of the Necropolis train was damaged by a German V two rocket. And when the this damage occurred during the London Blitz, there had already been a couple of near misses and the train had already been kind of winding down the frequency of trips, and in addition to that, the trips that did have scheduled were occasionally canceled because there was enemy action somewhere else on the rail line. So in April of nineteen forty one, and one of the last major air raids on London, bombs repeatedly fell on the Waterloo area and the cars or what's called rolling stock in the train world. The cars were burned. The railway arch that Noel mentioned connecting the main line was damaged. The building itself was okay, but again the cars were on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it caused more than two thousand fire as it turns out, and in the neighborhood of one thousand Peace people lost their lives and that blitz, and you know, faced with the choice of rebuilding or just walking away, the company decided to do the ladder and just ditch it.
Speaker 2: And so there ends the strange story of London's Train of the Dead. But if you want to check it out, I believe that you can still see remnants of the station today.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's going to be a weird date. But if you want to take somebody, just let them know what you're getting into.
Speaker 1: And the facade of the building is almost the same, exactly the same as it was, minus the signage identifying it as the London Necropolis Railway.
Speaker 2: And I have to ask, no, it's it's always a tricky thing for us to put ourselves in the position of someone in the past. But I want to know your take. If you were conducting a funeral for a loved one in this day and age, would you take the train? Does it do any of their concerns seems stranger off putting to you in the modern day.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's cliche to say, but it was a different time then. My modern mind just can't wrap itself around this notion, you know. Plus the funerals give me the creeps. Anyway, I'm not a fan us who is meant Harold from Harold?
Speaker 2: I knew you were gonna say that. Yeah, I'm I'm kind of the of the same mind. It's just if we existed back then. I keep having some voice in my head of some you know, hypothetical relatives saying I can't believe you're putting our darling Asmirelda in the ground with Anglicans or something like that, you know, I say that overall, this was a smart solution and was a crucial one for the time in which it existed. And this is only scratching the surface of strange funeral and burial customs around the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For a deeper dive, check out John Clark's book on the Brookwood Necropolis or the essay from George Nash Pomp and Circumstance, Archaeology, Modernity, and the Corporatization of Death, both of which you can find with a crisery Google search.
Speaker 2: And on that note, we would like to hear from you.
Speaker 1: What are some of the Do you hear that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was gonna ignore it.
Speaker 1: You were really trying to power through that ending, weren't, she.
Speaker 2: Thought if we sewed it up quickly, gentlemen, Jonathan Strickland, the quizt it is.
Speaker 3: I the Quizzer returned at last to plague you with questions about fact and fiction?
Speaker 2: Do you have an English exit today?
Speaker 3: Some? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: Okay, it comes and goes.
Speaker 3: I've been in this room a really long time, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how long have you been here?
Speaker 3: Pretty sure it's been weeks, So you know, I hide here, ready to spring at a moment's notice. But you guys recorded in the other studio like across the way the last couple of times, and I mean the light was on. I'm not going to come in with the lights on, right, So I just had to keep waiting until you came back in here.
Speaker 1: So, but that is.
Speaker 3: Beside the point. Now you will quake in fear as you face a quizter, the most cringe worthy segment at all of podcasting. Now you were talking about James K. Polk and so mine.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, we did that one already, like weeks ago.
Speaker 3: What in the other studio?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I knew it. I knew it, guys. I hit here to give you the perfect Why did you talk about today?
Speaker 1: There's other dead stuff me in my work. We talked about the Train of the Dead in the UK.
Speaker 3: Still thematically irrelevant. So I will pose to you a query, and as you know, I always come up with rules of arbitrary nature for every single query I posed to you. Yes, yes, And so you must before asking me any questions about the scenario, which I shall lay so graciously before your feet, the phrase.
Speaker 1: Ooo spooky oOoOO spooks.
Speaker 3: In on it. My eyes are on you. Then trust me. If you don't give me a sincere ooh spooky. You will not like what you get, so don't phone it in. Do not, by any means phone it in. I mean put your back into it.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to see spooky waves of spookiness from you. Before you ask me a question, right, I will not give you an answer.
Speaker 2: Well, quister, you have set the rules, as I believe, we have three minutes.
Speaker 3: That is correct, three minutes to ask me any questions before you tell me whether or not the scenario I give you is true or fiction. Now I will tell you when to start the timer. This one's a bit of a long one. So when I tell you, then you hit go.
Speaker 2: That's very you know, for a villain that is tremendously courteous.
Speaker 3: I just I find that it won't be as wonderful a victory. I won't be able to savor it if I cheat you of some of your precious ouspookita.
Speaker 1: So here we are.
Speaker 3: Shakespeare. You familiar with him, Yeah, wrote a few plays.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: He was buried. First of all, spoiler alert, he's dead. He was buried in the cemetery adjacent to the Church of the Holy Trinity in Stratford upon Avon, but in seventeen twenty six his bones were moved from that site to Poet's Corner in Westminster Abbey. Shortly thereafter. The abbey reportedly was the site of several misfortunes, and the cause was attributed to a curse Shakespeare had laid upon his own grave, and the bones were thus dug back up and replaced in his original grave at Stratford upon Avon. A statue of Shakespeare was erected in seventeen forty one in Westminster Abbey. That just had to do start.
Speaker 2: Uh, Okay, I'm gonna say, uh sh I don't know, man, I remember reading some stuff about Shakespeare posthumously.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember, I definitely remember the epitaph. It was. It was kind of like a creepy little poem, a bit of a spoo keep o oohoo. Christer, what was the epitaph that that Shakespeare had inscribed on his tomb?
Speaker 3: Excellent question, noel, very well, good, good, spooky too. Here you go, good friend, for Jesus sake, for bear to dig the dust enclose it here. Blessed be the man that spares these stones, and cursed be he that moves my bones.
Speaker 2: That sounds like Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, that definitely rings you. I remember that from school. Okay, but I've got I've got one. I've got what you got?
Speaker 3: Oohoo, passable, Ben, go ahead, I thank presenting you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fine, quister. Is is it possible that some of this is true and some is not?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: It's also possible that I have a golden Cadillac at home. I don't see what the point of that is. Do you mean, do I make something out of whole cloth? Or could there be elements of truth woven into a lie? The Oh yeah, I could. That sounds like me. It could happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm thinking yes, because I definitely remember that epitaph. That sounds completely accurate. It seems like something that would have happened. The whole Westminster Abbey thing. What do you think that I'm going with?
Speaker 2: True? Westminster Abbey is historically a place for the interment of very significant people. That's the real thing. Yeah, sure, I'm gonna go with true. All right, let's go with it, shall we lock it in? Let's like it in true? True, I wind know.
Speaker 3: Your streak of victories has come to an end. Your streak too, is a streak here in Atlanta. As it turns out, the people who aren't familiar with Atlanta sports, two's a streak. I have claimed victory from the jaws of defeat. You were bambuzled. So here's the real story. His body was buried at Strafford upon Avon. That is, in fact his epitaph on his gravestone. He was never moved, although in the eighteenth century there was a fellow named John Rich who was a theater manager in London, very very influential man, who actually suggested that they move Shakespeare's bones to Westminster Abbey, and the abbey said, nah.
Speaker 1: We're cool.
Speaker 3: So Shakespeare's statue is there, but Shakespeare's bones are still at Strafford upon Avon. You can find other dead poets over at Westminster Abbey, including Chaucer, Spencer, many others all over in that corner. I remember jumping up and down on Thomas Hardy's grave myself.
Speaker 1: To a corner like where you hide in the podcast studio.
Speaker 3: I mean no, no, because that's a corner. The poet's corner is a corner on the ground, and I always stay in the one in the upper right part of the ceiling that was you. Yeah, I'm gonna need to replace some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also, you know you can't blame a guy, because God knows it's gotta be tough to keep your grip up there.
Speaker 1: But fair is fair.
Speaker 2: And because you finally won this round, Jonathan and your incarnation as the quizzer Noel Casey, and I must award you this badge that says winner.
Speaker 3: I have literally never been this happy, Jonathan.
Speaker 1: Are you crying? Shut up?
Speaker 3: You're crying.
Speaker 2: So what this means, I think is that you might have won the battle Old Nemesis, but you have not won the war.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I will return and I will quiz you yet again and again and again for all eternity.
Speaker 1: But until that time comes, I think we're gonna have to go drown our sorrows elsewhere. That's gonna be it for today's episode. Ridiculous hisstory. I am admittedly quite bummed. I thought we had it. Yeah, it felt it felt right, But now it feels so wrong.
Speaker 2: I have never been so upset about getting a badge that says winner back, not even in like fourth grade when that stuff really mattered.
Speaker 1: Hey, folks, if you want to write us some consolations and help us to feel better about ourselves. Please do so, Please do so. We need it, We need it. Send it to ridiculous at HowStuffWorks dot com. You can also console us on social media, which we are a ridiculous history on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 2: We would of course like to thank Lori l Dove. Her fantastic article London had a Train for the Dead provided some inspiration for this episode. Our super producer, Casey Pegrin.
Speaker 1: Along with Alex Williams who composed our theme, and begrudging thanks to Jonathan Whister Strickland for tormenting us you yet again.
Speaker 3: You guys are going to be in the studio again next time, right because I mean, like, I've got snacks up there.
Speaker 2: You know what I don't know right now? I don't just I think that Nolan and I need.
Speaker 1: A break, We need some time to heal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much for listening, folks, and.
Speaker 1: Let us know if you would have been fooled by that Shakespeare thing. We'll see you next time. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.