Speaker 1: Pushkin. This is Talk Easy. I'm standing Fragoso. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: In honor of National Poetry Month, we're returning to our conversation with Rupy Khorr. She's the author of four poetry collections, including Milk and Honey, The Sun and Her Flowers, Homebody, and Healing Through Words. Collectively, those books have sold over twelve million copies. That's not a typo, and have been translated into over forty languages. Her debut collection, Milk and Honey, which she actually self published as a student in college, has become one of the highest selling poetry books of the twenty first century. Again not a typo. That debut arrived a decade ago now, and to celebrate its anniversary this year, Core will be re releasing the book on October first. This special edition also includes a new chapter, an archive of original photos, and a whole bunch of diary entries that she's excavated from these past ten years. To pre order the book and to learn more about Rupee and her work, be sure to visit our show notes at talkeeasypod dot com. When Rupy and I first sat in the spring of twenty twenty two, she was about to embark on what became a sold out global tour. These shows are poetic, theatrical experiences where she addresses themes of family, love, heartbreak, and womanhood. And so today we'll be revisiting some of those pieces, including a couple personal poems inspired by her childhood in Canada as part of an immigrant family from Punjab, India. We also dive into how she's processed trauma through writing the emotional Toll in the last decade and the aftermath of her Milk and Honey fame. With that, I want to issue a quick warning here at the top. It's the same warning I gave listeners back in twenty twenty two, which is that some of the poems and stories shared in this conversation include details of sexual violence. They're certainly not the bulk of this conversation. It doesn't dominate the dialogue, but it is part of it. We've marked those moments in the description of this episode, which you can find on your phone or on our website at talkeeasypod dot com. As always, if you want to give us feedback or suggest future episodes, you can reach us at sf at talk easypod dot com. We'll be back next Sunday with a new episode of the podcast. It is with someone that I don't want to spoil it, but it is with someone that I've been trying to have on Talk Easy for five six years now, So stick around for that until then. Here is one of my favorite conversations of twenty twenty two with the one and only rupeecre.
Speaker 2: Enjoy rupe Core.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you, Nice to meet you. How are you feeling?
Speaker 3: I feel good, A little bit tired. I had a show last.
Speaker 4: Night, but I feel grateful and excited to be here.
Speaker 1: You're about to embark on a forty one city global tour. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: I think even more cities than that. It's more cities than that, definitely. We're near fifty where definitely nearing like seventy ish seventy. There's lots of stops that haven't been announced yet, and then there's lots coming in other parts of the world in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: I just don't like to think about that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not think about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's stressful. Let's think about the the Let's think about the next two months. And it's forty cities.
Speaker 1: Rupe's like, I want to go home. Now you're going to travel across the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe, the UK. For most people, this would be a very daunting undertaking. How does one prepare for something like this?
Speaker 3: You know what I feel like. I spent the last twelve years preparing. This is the first time I'm intentionally doing it. Whereas you know, I hit stage as teenager in high school. They didn't even know what I was doing. I was just a sad teenager who's not a sad teenager. And I saw this little flyer. It was like a local open mic night and I was like, well, everything is wrong with my life already. Things can't get anywhere, so let me go see what this is about.
Speaker 1: How old are you here?
Speaker 3: Sixteen seventeen?
Speaker 4: And I went and it was such a nice feeling. I feel like it was the first time I felt hurt.
Speaker 3: And listened to.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I love this. I want to come do it again. So I was just doing open mics.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: It was a hobby and it snowballed into a self published book and then these tours and I feel like I got on this train and the train never stopped like I was expecting it to like let me off, and it kept going and going and going and going until twenty twenty the pandemic hit and I was like, okay, wow, so I've been going NonStop. Now I get to stop and be still. I guess all those years prepared me for this next tour. Those shows were tough because I had no clue how to take care of myself. So I feel like I've fingers crossed seen the worst of it, and now I'm going in knowing what I need and what I can do, and I feel very good about it. Like I used to get nervous before every other show that I did, and for some reason, my first show back after two and a half years was this Saturday, and it just inside my body is like a steady heartbeat. I don't get nervous, I don't get excited. It just is because I'm like, Okay, finally, let's go.
Speaker 1: I want to walk through all those train stops that you're talking about. I think to do that, we have to go back to your childhood. Isn't it true that your first performance came in performing classical Indian music? What was that experience? Like?
Speaker 4: Definitely not an experience I chose for myself. It was like, you know, immigrant parents trying to make sure their kids don't lose their culture and heritage. And I was going to opunjubby classes on weekends, learning to read the language, write the language. I grew up in Malton and Brampton, which are two very heavy working class immigrant suburbs in Canada, in Ontario, so it was very normal for all of the kids to learn music, and so I did enjoy it. I did enjoy it. I did it for about seven years. That was the first sort of being on stage experience I ever had, singing and playing the harmonium.
Speaker 1: I gotta say the way you're saying I enjoyed it, I think you're saying it so reluctantly.
Speaker 2: I did enjoy it.
Speaker 3: It was scary. I'm not gonna lie that. My teacher was like, very scary. How so a lot of tough love.
Speaker 4: Very normal in our community him virgilately. But if I got a note wrong, you just smack my hand and start screaming away. You know, it's being twelve years old, thirteen fourteen. I would be like, oh my god, every day I'm just going to go to get yelled at. And would we be preparing for competitions, it would be that every single day for weeks.
Speaker 1: From that experience, what propels you into wanting to do that? If that first experience is it's fun, but there's this sort of restrictive element to it. I know you ended up pivoting a little bit into speech competitions in middle school? Were those also kind of daunting and scary?
Speaker 4: I actually I think I did it for like sevenish years. I never wanted to stop. Was it scary? Were there bad days?
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 4: But I think I did love it because it is such a meditative experience and a very communal experience that you have with your people. And then the speech competitions, that was really a teacher who was like, I want you to do this, try it, And I'm like writing a speech about the War of eighteen twelve, and like, I don't even remember what I said, but I do remember that speech.
Speaker 3: It was seventh grade.
Speaker 4: Was the first time I think most people probably heard me speak because I grew up so shy.
Speaker 1: Is it true you didn't learn English till the fourth grade.
Speaker 4: Definitely didn't know it in kindergarten, and then in grade one and two I was learning it, but like grade three four, I was good. I was talking to my one friend that I had.
Speaker 1: You moved from India to Canada around age three and a half. The idea that by seventh grade that person is like I'm gonna do speech competitions is kind of remarkable. Did you think, Wow, this is I can't believe I'm doing this.
Speaker 4: In seventh grade, definitely, I was like what am I doing? Why am I doing it? And regretting it the whole time. But you know, he was His name was mister Vermont, and he was just like one of those teachers that like definitely changed my life.
Speaker 3: How So he sort of just saw me.
Speaker 4: I feel like, when you're in a class of like thirty people, that quiet individual who sort of like blends into the background is usually never seen. And that was usually my life, and I was comfortable with that. He was like, no, no, no, you very much like pushed me out of my comfort zone. But I was definitely reading more than I was speaking out loud, and so I think that's where my love for books came from. And then people like mister Vermont in seventh grade continue pushing me in that direction.
Speaker 1: I mean I was the same way. Yeah, I didn't people.
Speaker 4: Before also like third graders, nobody should be friends with third graders are horrible. Kids are so mean. Kids are mean. Yeah, and I was very sensitive.
Speaker 1: How did that manifest?
Speaker 4: I feel like my mom always says that I was one way in Punjab when we lived there, and then I was a completely different person when we landed in Canada and we arrived in this like cold city. We arrived in Montreal the year of this horrible ice storm, and it just was like everything sort of about me flipped.
Speaker 1: On your website in twenty sixteen, you wrote, I was always stuck between two worlds, but never fully belonging to one, on a land that does not want me. Coming from a land that no longer considers me its own, I had no place to call mine. I had to build a bridge between these two worlds and attach them together to build my own foundation. Do you think the foundation of that bridge started when your mother told you try drawing?
Speaker 4: I think so. Drawing was for sure the first thing that I learned to do for myself. There was not much that we had access to. I remember pencil crayons, drawing, and there was an older bunjabbisick couple upstairs. Maybe they're in their seventies. I called her Auntie. She would take sequence off of her clothing and we would sit and we would make little elephants and little animals out of them. And that immediately became the thing that I would do when I was feeling too much, when there was a situation happening at home, or I could sense any form of stress, step away.
Speaker 3: And I would be drawing.
Speaker 1: You said, as a child, I turned to expression because there was a lot going on at home that I didn't know how to deal with. Like I said, you moved from India to Canada. Your father was a long distance truck driver while your mother held down the fort. What was going on at home, It.
Speaker 4: Was just us as individuals, but just a larger sense of what was going on with us as a community. Like, for example, my dad was a refugee to Canada. He has injured and seen things at the hands of like the Indian state that are horrible. I think that definitely changes a person. When we were reunited with him, because I didn't see him for the first three and a half years of my life.
Speaker 1: He wasn't there when you were born, right, No, he wasn't.
Speaker 4: He was trying to get out because the police had picked him up, and then they were targeting at the time, any visible sick minority men with a turbine beer. Young boys as young as thirteen were being disappeared, and so people were like, shit, we got to go. Tens of thousands of people went missing and we still don't know where they are. So that generation carries all of that trauma, and like, those were the people that I grew up with. I know uncles who have scars all over their bodies from being tortured bullet wounds. That was like something I've been used to for my entire life since I was young. When I was reunited with my dad, he was definitely a different person. We've never really talked about that, but I think it impacted his mental health a lot. There's no such thing as mental health in my community yet, like learning kind of deal with that. So the home was where that sort of stress came out. Not in a physical way, but I was very scared of him. I was a really timid kid, and I think the weight of all the mothers to all the wives eventually came over. Of these men who had fled, they don't know English, they're stuck in these homes all day and they were pressed, and so many of them wanted to go back, but there was nothing to go back too. I just took that in and I sort of stored it.
Speaker 1: And how did your mom deal?
Speaker 4: She's very, very strong. She did really well, a lot better than the other moms. What do you mean my mom was able to? And I'm not saying that this is the right way to do it, There is no right way, but she sort of just went numb to it all and survived for her kids and just put everything within us. And I know so many other people weren't able to and experience lots of like suicidal ideations and attempts, but my mom, for some reason, was just like she had four kids. I know that she went numb because I asked her the day that I graduated. She came to my graduation and we were driving back home together, and I was like, how did that make you feel? Like when you were all in Montreal and all the wives were together, and can you tell me the emotions, like what were you feeling? And She's like, I don't understand the question. And I was like, what do you mean you don't understand the question? For forty five minutes. I tried to explain to her what an emotion is, and I was like, just like, what did you feel sad? Did you feel like this? And she didn't answer the question. She was very confused, and that's when I was like, oh, now I know why you're still here. She actually lost her brother a year before she got married, and then a year after she got married. She was an immigrant, so I think from that point on she got very used to just going and going and sort of not processing.
Speaker 1: Is there a piece in Milk and Honey that you think kind of encapsulates what you're talking about here?
Speaker 4: There's definitely You.
Speaker 1: Looked at the cover of the book like you almost forgot the title.
Speaker 4: Performance.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll stop giving you any shit.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, all good, Okay, let's read it. Father. You always call to say nothing in particular, ass what I'm doing or where I am, And when the silence stretches, oh my god, I think I'm gonna cry. Okay, this is what happens when you stop taking medication and you are like feeling real emotions again. Who bother? You always call to say nothing in particular. You ask what I'm doing or where I am, and when the silence stretches like a lifetime between us, I scramble to find questions to keep the conversation going. What I long to say most is I understand that this world broke you. It has been so hard on your feet, and I don't blame you for not knowing how to remain soft with me. Sometimes I stay up thinking of all the places you're hurting, which you'll never care to mention. I come from the same aching blood, from the same bone, so desperate for attention that I collapse in on myself. I am your daughter. I know the small talk is the only way you know how to tell me you love me, because it's the only way I know how to tell you.
Speaker 1: You read the first line, you were good. You read the second line, and something was produced. Yeah, what was going on?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's been a while since I've even felt my own poetry. I think I'm only recently beginning to feel it again. I used to feel it when I first wrote it, and then I got on that train and it was so fast that I stopped feeling any of it, and then I got extremely depressed, and now I'm not anymore. Hence I'm off the medication, trying that, And so now I read it and I experience it all like exactly what I was feeling when I wrote that. The weight of it sort of hits me and I'm brought back into that.
Speaker 3: It feels very human. Yeah, I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: What were you feeling when you wrote it?
Speaker 4: I have this like one year, especially with my father, because in our community, the men definitely do not know how to talk about anything. They are very like scary figures who are like, I'm going to work, make sure you memorize your multiplication tables, and then they disappear, and.
Speaker 1: It's always math.
Speaker 3: It's always math.
Speaker 4: And beyond that, we never really had a relationship as his daughter, and we've had a very complicated relationship that I think is finally not complicated anymore. And so my biggest fear is my dad is sixty years old this year. And then I do the math and then I'm like, what, you have thirty years left or twenty and that's not a very long time, and will I learn more about you between our time is done? And I know that he wants to have conversations now like we never saw him growing up. He was definitely absent, but that's because he had to be. And now I I see him as this sixty year old man who was like so tired, so physically sick from this like labor work, and I see him wanting to have a relationship with his children and wanting to know them at an age when his children are like now grown and gone. And I know that he will never learn how to have a conversation and I will have to learn how to have a conversation with him, and that's so much responsibility. But I know that I need to figure my shit out and learn how to have that conversation before he leaves this place, and I have to live with that regret forever.
Speaker 1: You're not alone in that fear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I realize that recently, as have been like sharing those kind of anxieties around with my parents, that so many people feel that too.
Speaker 1: It's that weird push and pull because you are twenty nine. I'm twenty seven.
Speaker 4: My god, you're so young. When I first listen to your podcast, i'ming this person has to be fifty because you're so well spoken.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, sure that was a compliment.
Speaker 3: No, it's definitely a compliment. Yeah yeah, yeah, so well spoken.
Speaker 1: God, he sounds shifty and uh three.
Speaker 4: I think this person has probably seen so much talking to you know so much like you talk a Marina Brahimg Margaret Atwood.
Speaker 3: I love those conversations.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, But we're at that age you're only two years older than I am where you do think we're living our lives, and yet our parents are in that sixty age range where they're now kind of getting comfortable with sharing. It sounds like my parents were a little more forthcoming. But nevertheless, that lingers for me, and I know it lingers for people listening. There's always an expiration day, there.
Speaker 4: Is, but it almost feels like the moment we do realize that it's there, it almost feels like, shoot, there's like.
Speaker 1: Not enough time. You have some work to do to figure that out. Yes, but it has to be a two way street, you know it does. Even if you got to drag him, he still has to be willing.
Speaker 4: He is willing, he's willing. I just it's so hard to start the conversation. We don't talk in my family like we talk. My dad loves to talk philosophy, politics, Oh, but when it comes to feelings, barely.
Speaker 1: Ever do you think that's why you turned to the page.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: My dad had this rule growing up that we weren't allowed to cry in the house.
Speaker 1: That's a great rule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I cried a lot.
Speaker 4: There was a running joke that, oh, I'm so sensitive that I would cry at the snap of anybody's fingers, and it was true. And if you cried, you would get yelled at. I don't know why. I think it was seen as a sign of weakness, but now I see it as like, Wow, you just maybe didn't want us to cry because you just were so holding it like this. You didn't want to see anyone else do it, and you told yourself and you told everybody that it's bad and that it's weakness, and that was your way to survive. But now you know, we cry all we want at home and he can't say anything because there's four women in the house and my brother who will cry with us, and then him, and he's like, oh, you're all ganging up on me. None of this is fair.
Speaker 1: It's the odd man out.
Speaker 4: He is so funny. He spent his entire life telling me how sensitive I am, and now we're like, you are the sensitive one.
Speaker 3: Get it together.
Speaker 1: We're really getting into the heart of this here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't. I wasn't expecting to.
Speaker 1: There seem to be more of a focus on the act of crying rather than the source of the tears. And I don't know how you reconcile with that now as you're growing up, But you were saying that for the last twelve years you've been on this train that hasn't stopped. To understand that, I think we have to go back to that Instagram post of you. In college at the University of Waterloo, You're taking a class for visual rhetoric. You create this class project for people that may not be familiar. What was this project?
Speaker 4: So I masured in rhetoric studies and so the teacher professor was like, Okay, I want you to create some sort of visual works that tackles taboo. And at the time, I was dabbling in photography a lot, because I always say poetry is just one of many mediums that I use. And so I had wanted to do this work around menstruation periods because like I've always struggled with my period with endometriosis.
Speaker 1: You had to go in and out of hospital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hospital visits when I would get my period. It'd be so painful. I just wanted to like hurt myself, and my mom would have to like hold me down and be like it's going to be fine, and I would be like, oh, I hate being a girl. I hate being a girl. And then I was like, I really need to stop saying this and like start loving some part of it somehow. And so I got this idea. And then when the professor was like, we want to work tackle some sort of taboos, I was like, okay, periods like two birds with one stone. So I went back home to where my parents lived, got my little sister to help me. We show a series of six photos. My mom was like, what are you all doing. I'm more like concocting blood and stuff, and she's like, I'm scared. I don't want to I don't want to know. And unfortunately everybody and their mom found out later she was like, oh my god, I should have stopped you. Anyways, I posted one of the images online because we were studying the way people react to the same art differently depending on the space that it is in, So like if you were to see them Mona Lisa in real life in Paris, you would feel differently versus seeing it like painted giane on like the side of a building or like a stamp. And so I took this photograph of me lying down. It's kind of like how so many women who men straight wake up like, oh Saturday, shit, I got my period and I have like a stain. I posted it in different places. It was fine on Tumblr, and it was fine in a lot of other places, and then Instagram is where it was not fine. I honestly didn't think that it was going to be controversial because at the time I'd been writing about sexual abuse violence. I even was writing about periods. So this photograph to me was just like the regular, regular thing that I was doing, which I think was very naive of me to think, because those were just words and this was a photograph, and this was much more disturbing for some people. So my readership they were fine with it. But once that photo sort of like left MySpace and got to other spaces, Instagram removed it, and then I posted a second time, removed it again, and then it ended up just sort of like going viral, was on the front page of everything in twenty fifteen. I was so scared because people were so mad. Fifty percent and people were like, this is amazing, and the other fifty percent were like, we are going to rape and kill you.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I'm so anxious now.
Speaker 1: You said in Rolling Stone. I think from that day this anxiety came upon me that's never left, an endless stream of hate that came from every corner of the planet.
Speaker 4: It was so much. I was like regular kid, you know, going to college, putting my little poems up on Instagram. It was like all of the opinions. Nobody told me log off and stop reading this shit. So I sat there taking in and then it was like all of the emails coming in. I don't know how people found out about my emails. It was on the Punjabi radio stations in my parents' hometown. Like that's how my mom found out when the Punjabi uncles are talking about it on the local radio station, just to assume everybody knows about it, and it's just and you know, she was like, oh my god, why did you do this. My dad was like, I don't even get it. What's the big deal? People get periods, move it along. And I was like, oh, thank god. But it was really scary. I think it was just like, it's not human to have that much attention and it's not natural to have that many eyes looking at you, and that sort of catapult people immediately started to treat me differently.
Speaker 1: And you're twenty one years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was like, oh, my followers went from thirty thousand to over two hundred thousand. And I'm very involved in the sick community and community organizing, and that week we had I think it was Sick Heritage Month, and when I walked in, it was just different.
Speaker 3: People were like looking a particular way.
Speaker 4: It was if it's fine, it was nice, nobody was mean, but I was like, oh, the way that you look at me is like definitely changed now, and it's sort of like never really stopped. I actually was scared because I was like, oh, no, I'm getting all this attention for like this photograph, Like do they expect me to keep making these photos? But I feel very appreciative because like they came for the photo, but then they stayed for the poetry.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the way people saw you changed. But did you start to see yourself in a different way?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: People were like, like, wow, how does it feel and I always said, I don't know, it feels weird, like I think you want me to say, it's so amazing, But I'm just doing this shit that everybody else is doing. I have to go unload my dishwasher, I have to like do my laundry. But I think I immediately disassociated from my body, and I don't think I stepped back into my body till about twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Well, before you step back into your body, you do release Milk and Honey first on your own self publishing. I think Amazon platform it was the next year at twenty fifteen, is that right? Yes, it gets republished.
Speaker 4: My publishers Andrew's mcmeehal They're amazing and they I was so scared when a publisher approached me because I was like, they're gonna tell me to take this out and change this and do that, and they were like, no, we just want this.
Speaker 1: Was there a particular piece in here that you thought, I don't know if they're going to let me publish this?
Speaker 3: Definitely?
Speaker 4: Which one I think, like a lot of the maybe is the sexual assault pieces. I think the first chapter, so this one is for Milk and Honey Our knees pride open by cousins and uncles, and men are bodies touched by all the wrong people that even in a bed full of safety, we are afraid.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of pieces like that. I think I was.
Speaker 4: Very unapologetic in the way that I wrote about sexual abuse, and I wasn't trying to hide it, And that only came from the fact that I didn't think that it was going to become a book and sell like over eight million copies. Yeah, I thought I was writing it for me and my like ten friends.
Speaker 1: In the end, it was not the end you wrote the book at eighteen, nineteen and twenty, this book becomes massively popular. As you just said, you thought it was only going to be for you. Yeah, I'm judging anxiety. I can feel the anxiety. I'm inheriting it right now.
Speaker 4: Still not like I don't know, I think it's really fucked up. I think it's sold up, just like how the personal becomes so big, Like it went from being back at college and I'm like writing, writing, writing, all the girls are getting ready for the club and putting on my Misscara and editing at the same time, and multitasking always, and it was definitely very easy for me to write about certain things when I didn't think that the number of people who are reading them now were going to read them. I cannot write about my experiences with sexual abuse in the ways that I used to write them in that first book. I couldn't write about them like that.
Speaker 1: Now. Why is that?
Speaker 4: Because I know that there's millions of people watching, and that is like, I don't want to feel naked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But isn't the reason people like you so much just because, yeah, you are naked on the phone?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I love doing it for them, Like when I am on stage and I'm connecting with them, I'm like, fuck, I'm gonna do this for the rest of my life. But then when it's the other people who perhaps don't like you very much and they take something that's like your lived experience and then they rape you to shreds for it, I think that's very hard. That's when I'm like, oh my god, do I regret doing this or do I not? I think people just forget that these are real life experiences. I don't want to keep having to defend them.
Speaker 1: There's of course plenty of as you're talking about negative press that has been written and I as you know, because you listen to the show, and I read everything before these, So I just had a couple days of reading every horrible thing I could find, and it's unnerving.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Ew Sometimes I'm just like, I wasn't built for this. I just want to go home and write. But it's it is what it is. It's like what I signed up for. I guess, Yeah, I think it's fine. I'm also tired of lying and saying I don't care anymore, because the more I say I don't care, the more obvious is obvious it is that I do care.
Speaker 1: You know. It's it's okay to say that it's not fine. Yeah, at least on this show.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you say you're not build for this, I can see it's like it's like eating at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that writing something that I truly loved any become the person I am today. Like as I was writing Milk and Honey, I was I went from girl to woman through that book. Then writing became a very scary and triggering thing. Like I couldn't walk into bookstores. I didn't want to hear the word poetry. I didn't even want to hear the word book like people would say that, and my entire body would just like because it was so many things like when when is the next one coming? And like how do I recreate the success of the first one? Again, like that ate at me and just made me so sick. People expect you to do that. Two months I was given to write the second book, and of course I did not meet that deadline. But then all of a sudden, everyone's like, well, you know, if you don't hurry up, if you take a break, you're just here today, gone tomorrow. And then this ambitious part of me who did the self publishing, who did all that, I was like, wait a minute, but I like did work really hard, and I don't want to be here today, gone tomorrow, so I gotta go, I gotta go, I gotta go keep doing it. It's like a very hard balance and homebody. The third one is about me trying to actually be like, let me write the book that I need to write, because The Sun in or Flowers was the book that I thought the world wanted me to write.
Speaker 1: So after pouring yourself onto the pages of Milk and Honey, this thing of writing that you love that you fell in love with that was your sort of vessel to communicate all the complex emotions you couldn't quite in your childhood. As we've talked about, it got corrupted to the point where the word poetry you had a physical response to that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it would make me sick. When I was writing that second book, I couldn't like digest food. My whole nervous system physically broken. I could not get up for weeks, Like the migraines were so bad for such long periods of time that I was like, maybe I do need to go to a hospital. That was me trying to keep pushing it all down just so I can make the deadline.
Speaker 3: Do it, do it, do it, do it, And like.
Speaker 4: A part of me is like, I am glad that I did it, because I do think if that deadline wasn't there, perhaps I would have never done it, because it's very difficult to do the second thing.
Speaker 3: And nobody told me that.
Speaker 4: Like the people that I grew up with are all like factory workers and people who work labor jobs, and like the fanciest person I knew was an aunt who like went from working on the production line to becoming a manager on the floor. Nobody in my community could guide me or like support me or tell me, you know, and so it was kind of like figuring it out alone.
Speaker 1: How the hell do you do that.
Speaker 4: I feel like I got very lucky with my friends. They saved and carried me through, like those worst moments when I was so depressed and I couldn't leave my bed for weeks. My friend Rock we actually met two months before that Milk and Honey was self published, and she went on, now she's my manager, my business partner, and she would come over, sit at my bed and we'd work, and then there would be periods where I couldn't drive. We had an office at the time, and she would come pick me up at six am and drive me to work and then drive me home and drive me to work and drive me home. And I think that I didn't realize also, like shit, now I'm doing my MBA, Like I went from being an author who writes by herself to now having a team of nine people, and I'm like, fuck, there's all these skills that I need to do to like manage all of these things. And I was only like twenty three, so it's been just so much learning. And those women, really I had a solid team. I'd have a solid team, and I think that's the only reason I'm here. I wouldn't have made it.
Speaker 1: After the break, Ruby and I discussed being a young person in their twenties making mistakes very publicly for all the world to see. That's all coming up next with my guest Ruby Kor. You said in some interview that the strangest thing about all of this is that in your twenties, and perhaps through all of life, but especially in your twenties, we make mistakes. Most of us have the good fortune of making those mistakes in private. Of course, we're all online and there's some documentation, there's some hyper visibility for everyone now, but you, especially were to make these mistakes in public. How do you make those mistakes in public and still continue onward? How do you allow yourself to still fuck up in the way that we all have to?
Speaker 3: I mean, you're not.
Speaker 4: I don't allow myself to fuck up. I like punish myself, and if I fuck up, it's like, wait, what did we just do? And then I have to forgive myself for fucking up. So I'm not allowing it because I feel like I can't afford to fuck up. If I fuck up, then it sort of feels like it's done. I won't get another chance. You know how many brown women are even so visible, and how many of them get second chances. But you eventually just have to let it hurt and then two weeks later stop crying about it and pick up. But that scar is always there, cut into your skin, and you sort of keep a tally of it.
Speaker 1: Is there a piece in this one or that one that's that's hitting on that?
Speaker 4: I think this one, Homebody, the one under the.
Speaker 1: Giving you your books, is I'm back and help it.
Speaker 3: Let me see? Should I read it?
Speaker 1: Let's let's do it.
Speaker 4: This is from It's kind of arrogant, though you.
Speaker 1: Know what we're gonna be. Okay, okay, this is a rupee reading from Homebody from twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: I paid in blood to be here. I paid with a childhood littered with bigger monsters than you. I've been beaten into a silence more times than I've been embraced on this earth. You haven't seen what I've seen. My rock bottom went so deep I'm pretty sure it was hell. I spent a decade climbing out of it. My hands blistered, my feet, swelled. My mind said I can't take it anymore. I told my mind, you better get yourself together. We came here for Joe, and we are gonna feel all of it. I've been hunted, killed, and walked back to Earth. I snapped the neck off every beast that thought it could. And you want to take my seat, the one I built with the story of my life, Honey, you won't fit. I juggle clowns like you. I pick my teeth with fools like you for fun. I've played and slept and danced with bigger devils.
Speaker 1: I was essentially a kind of spoken word distrack.
Speaker 4: Definitely, that was that's the dis track, because I usually don't respond to the hate, but I was like, fuck it, I'm allowed.
Speaker 3: To in my own book.
Speaker 1: That's the response.
Speaker 3: That's the response.
Speaker 1: Is that the response to all the parodying that has happened to those people who do that.
Speaker 4: For sure. You know what helps me is like, I go back to my roots. That's why I'm sitting here healthy today. I think my community and what we've been through over the past five hundred years, what we have seen, what we have injured, was so much bigger than this, and so I think about the people who lost their lives so that I could be here today. And that's the emotions I channeled while writing that piece. That is what I go back to and I pull myself together.
Speaker 1: And you're part of this larger legacy that made the work you're doing possible. Yes, I want to pinpoint someone in particular, which is your mother. You have this piece called Broken English that I want to sit with to do that. Can you tell the story of how when you were growing up you felt some sense of shame around her?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're growing up in your minority, all you want to do is look like the majority. And I just was like, why can't my parents get it together and do that? Like, Mom, why do you have to wear that? Obviously? When we go to the grocery store, just look like a normal person. Stop yelling out in Bundubbi while I'm in like an aisle ten looking at candy. Do you see anybody else, any of the nice white lady screaming?
Speaker 1: You know you didn't see my mom right now? Grocery store. So horrible event, traumatizing, so dramatic. She yelled at me in English, to be fair, but it was yelling, just drag they put you in the cart. You get punished in one of those carts.
Speaker 4: It's not fun. And then it was like I don't want to eat this food and like that whole thing, and that's a normal experience, you know, when you're like an immigrant kid, the food from from back, pndube food and you know, we spend so much time being ashamed. I was like, oh, we never really had the nicest things. And I was like, can you drop me four blocks away from school? I don't want people to see the car we're driving me? And then I hit like twenty one and then I grew up a little bit. I was like, I'm such an asshole. Why am I like such a self hater? The fact that they did all of those things like deserves an award and I'm here. I used to be ashamed of all of that. And that's where broken English sort of came from, because especially the Indian accent is so mocked and it's like the butt of all jokes. And I was like, wait a minute, it's like the last thing that my mom has left of where she came from. That poem. I was asked to write it for an event for Binjabi mothers and I wrote it over a couple of days and thought, you know, performing at once and gone tomorrow. But that is the piece that everywhere I go like, it will never leave me. That's the one they want to hear. And what's so beautiful and cool is like it doesn't matter who's in the audience and what they look like, what color their skin is. Everybody feels it in a different type of that feels like they connect to it.
Speaker 1: Shall we do it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Broken English? I think about the way my father pulled the family out of poverty without knowing what a vowel was, and my mother raised four children without being able to construct a perfect sentence in English. A discombobulated couple who landed in the New world with hopes that left the bitter taste of rejection in their mouths. No family, no friends, just man and wife, two university degrees that meant nothing, one mother tongue that was broken now, one swollen belly with a baby inside, and a father worrying about jobs and rent because no matter what, this baby was coming. And they thought to themselves for a split second, was it worth it to put all of our money into the dream of a country that's swallowing us whole. And Papa looks at his woman's eyes and sees loneliness living where the iris was. He wants to give her a home in a country that looks at her with the word visitor wrapped around their tongue. On their wedding day, she left an entire village to be his wife. And now she left an entire country to be a warrior. And when the winter came, they had absolutely nothing to keep the coldness out, and like two brackets, they faced one another to hold the dearest parts of them, their children close. They turned a suitcase full of clothes into a life and regular paychecks to make sure that the children of immigrants wouldn't hate them for being the children of immigrants. They worked too hard, you can tell by their hands. Their eyes were begging for sleep, and our mouths were begging to be fed. And that is the most artistic thing I have ever seen. It is poetry to these ears that have never heard what passion sounds like. And my mouth is full of likes and ums when I look at their masterpiece. Because there are no words in the English language that can articulate that kind of beauty. I can't compact their existence into twenty six letters and call it a description. I tried once, but the adjectives needed to describe them don't even exist, so instead I ended up with pages and pages and pages full of words, followed with commas and more words and more commas, only to realize that there are some things in the world so infinite they could never use a full stop. So how dare you mock your mother? When she opens her mouth and broken English spills out. Don't be ashamed of the fact that she split through countries to be here so you wouldn't have to cross the shoreline. Her accent is thick like honey. Hold it with your life. It's the only thing she has left from home. Don't you stomp on that richness? Instead hang it up on the walls of museums next to Dolly and Van Go. Her life is brilliant and tragic. Kiss the side of her.
Speaker 3: Tent, her cheek.
Speaker 4: She already knows what it sounds like to have an entire nation laugh when she speaks. She is more than our punctuation and language. We might be able to paint pictures and write stories, but she made an entire world for herself.
Speaker 3: So how is that for art?
Speaker 4: I remember that day, like I walked into the kitchen. I think her and my dad must have gotten into a fight because she was cooking, and she was like, I'm just so stupid. Well she's saying it in bundubby. She's like, I don't even know anything. I haven't done anything. I've just been in this house all of these years, and I'm like, I've not accomplished a single thing. And it just broke my heart. And I remember just crumpling to the floor and I was like, how dare you say you're stupid? Like everything I do, I'm capable of doing it because of you? Are you?
Speaker 3: What are you saying?
Speaker 4: Woman? You gave us your whole life? And I feel like I try. I have a whole piece about that. How do I make you believe that you are so much more than what you think you are?
Speaker 1: Does she believe you?
Speaker 4: I think so. Like I said, that display of emotion was very rare for my mom. That was many, many years ago. I have not seen it since. But when my mom cries, because it's very rare, everybody in the house except for my dad because he does not know what to do when anyone's crying. All the kids were.
Speaker 3: Like, what did you do to our mother?
Speaker 4: And everyone loses their shit.
Speaker 3: Oh, the whole house will start.
Speaker 4: All of us start crying because like mom can't cry, Like mom cannot cry. So it was very, very, very different, And I think that she believes it. You know what, when she comes to my shows, and she comes to a lot of them, it's so sweet because I feel like she becomes this sixteen year old girl because she gets so much love and attention and she gets to be that sixteen year old girl that she never got to be, and they'll ask her for her autograph in the books. And I think my whole family, at least me and my parents have had this, Like there's been somewhat of a healing for the parents through that, Like when a child of working class immigrant parents says that my parents literally sacrificed everything, Like the first time we went to dinner out as a family at a restaurant was like after I started making book money, Like they did absolutely nothing. Our first vacation was in twenty seventeen. And so this whole thing that's happened with me, it's really been big for my parents and my family because I'm like I can give you, guys, what I think that you deserve, which is comfort.
Speaker 1: So when she sees you on stage now, perhaps on this global tour you're about to do, do you think that she's able to say to herself, I've done something, I hope.
Speaker 3: So I always try to tell her.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I can only do this because of you. You gave me the strength and you raise me. You know, you gave up the ability to do so much so that I could have this. But to be honest, she's not that excited about tour. She's like, I don't like this idea that you have to leave again. Can you just like not find a regular job. That's my mom's biggest complaint is that I just didn't become a teacher where I could get my summers off. And she's like, I don't understand why you need to work so hard. And my dad is like, good job. But she's not really about it. She's always she's still actually in denial. She's like, oh yeah, like you're gonna get off the train right, Like when's the next stop? And I'm like, mom, like this is my life now, Like there's no stopping.
Speaker 1: Well, so you're still on this train.
Speaker 3: The train did stop during COVID.
Speaker 1: The train stopped during COVID, But outside of that, it continues onward.
Speaker 4: It continues onward. But I feel like I'm the conductor.
Speaker 1: Now, That's what I'm I want to ask you about it. You're twenty nine, you'll be thirty this year.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I don't know if you feel this way, but I just don't know where my twenties went.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I remember being twenty one and publishing that first book and then everything in between that. I don't know what the hell happened. And yes, I'm turning thirty this year.
Speaker 1: I do feel that way. The pandemic didn't help. You've said before that Milk and Honey, Sun and Her Flowers it's for the seventeen year old brown woman in Brampton who is not even thinking about the literary space, who's just trying to live, survive, get through her day. And the girl that wrote Milk and Honey is not the woman who wrote The Sun and Her Flowers and is not the person who wrote Homebody. So I'm curious how you're thinking about the evolution of both you and the potential person reading the work you're putting into the world.
Speaker 4: The first one, I was just writing, and the second one I got confused about who I was writing for because suddenly I was like, am I writing for these people? And then no, I think I'm very clear that I've always been writing for me. And actually it's such a freeing thing to accept that. I always just to wonder, well, what's this recipe? What was the recipe of milk and honey? I need to figure out the recipes so I can make the cake again. And the recipe was that I was just being honest with me and only writing for me. And there's such a freedom in that because then the poetry just sort of comes by itself. And the thing is when you are honest and you dig into the most like vulnerable parts of you, that is a feeling that's most universal. So as long as I can continue to write those things, I think I'll be okay. And honestly, after the shit storm of the last couple of years, it is very clear to me that success and happiness are two very different things. And after a lot of external success, I've realized more of that isn't going to fill me in any sort of spiritual way. And so what is that? I always say the thing that makes me the happiest in the world is laughing, and so that's all I want to do. Surround myself with good company and people that make me laugh.
Speaker 1: As we leave, could we read a piece from Homebody? M hm that I think is you kind of becoming the conductor that you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll do this one in another one.
Speaker 1: Okay, great?
Speaker 4: Today I saw myself for the first time when I dusted off the mirror of my mind, and the woman looking back took my breath away. Who was this beautiful beastling, this extra celestial earthly I touched my face and my reflection touched the woman of my dreams, all her gorgeous smirking back at me. My knees surrendered to the earth as I wept and sighed at how I'd gone my whole life being myself but not seeing myself. I spent in decades living inside my body, never left it once, yet managed to miss all its miracles. Isn't it funny how you can occupy a space without being in touch with it. How it took so long for me to open the eyes of my eyes, embrace the heart of my heart, kissed the soles of my swollen feet and hear them whisper.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you for noticing. There's one more that I think.
Speaker 1: Is like, is there a tit up for this one?
Speaker 4: No? Okay, I think I should really start on the title thing. That would make performing them much easier. People don't know what I learned from last night, so is people never know when I'm done a poem and so when to clap, and then when I move on to the.
Speaker 1: Next one, you just tell me when to clap and I'll do it.
Speaker 4: Our souls will not be soothed by what we achieve, how we look, or all the hard work we do. Even if we manage to make all the money in the world, we'd be left feeling empty for something. Our souls ache for community. Our deepest being craves one another. We need to be connected to feel alive. That's the one.
Speaker 1: My final question I guess is you're going on this massive tour. Your mom's not happy.
Speaker 3: About it, just not happy about it at all.
Speaker 1: Your father's proud. Yeah, as you move forward as a poet, as a human, going on to that stage, what do you want to leave behind and what do you want to bring with you?
Speaker 4: I'm leaving behind that drill sergeant in my head.
Speaker 3: That's so unforgiving.
Speaker 4: And I am going forward into this tour with the idea that it's not that serious. It's fine, I'll fuck up, it's great. I'm doing this to be able to look those folks in the eye when they're in the audience that have the most human experience. Touring post COVID is just different. We talk about some heavy shit and there's always tears, and there's always laughter, and it's a hole. You experience it like all of the human emotion, But post COVID, all the emotions are very, very heightened in this room, and it's just a reminder of what we need, which is that connection. So when I'm standing up there and I see all of them having that very visceral experience, I just want them to know, as I guess I want myself to know that, yeah, we're alone, but we're not really all alone.
Speaker 1: All the time you said with the first book, I kept thinking, is this all a mistake? Am I just a one hit wonder? Then the second book happened and I realized that I can do this a third, fourth, and fifth time. I just want to give it time. I just want to create the best thing going forward. When I'm eighty nine years old lying in my bed somewhere, I want to feel good about what I've done. Do you think you're on your way to being that eighty nine year old?
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I promise myself, I'm never going to sign another book contract. That is freed my creativity. I am a free woman. They get the book when I tell them they're getting the book, and they will be happy with the book that they get. That's the rule. And it's allowed me to become creative again. I don't tense up when I hear the word poetry, and I'm falling back in love with the thing that people say they love me for. And so it's so funny because it took so long to get there. But I mean, I already wrote a fourth book, but only because I had to free myself from the ability to do so, you know, learn to get off the train and then like hop back on with a nice coffee, get off in a couple stuff, smell the flowers and then get.
Speaker 3: Back on sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish that for you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: He becore, thank you for the time thank you so much, and that's our show.
Speaker 2: If you enjoy today's episode, be sure to leave us.
Speaker 1: Five stars on Spotify, Apple, wherever you do your listening. If you want to go above and beyond, sharing this episode on social media, sharing it with a friend, whatever you do, all of it really does help new listeners find the program. I want to give a special thanks this week to Narrative pr and of course our guest Rupy Kor to pre order the tenth anniversary Collector's edition of Milk and Honey, or to find any of the works discussed in today's episode, be sure to visit talk easypod dot com for more conversations with other writers. I'd recommend Ocean Wong, Jimblahary, Margaret Atwood, Zadi Smith, and George Saunders. You can find those in more Pushkin podcasts on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, at talk Easypod. You can always drop me a line at SF at talkasypod dot com. And if you want to purchase one of our mugs they Come and Cream or Navy, or our vinyl record with writer fran Leeboitz, you can do so at talk easypond dot com slash shop. Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Jennick sa Bravo. Today's talk was edited by Clarice Gavara, with assistants from Sean Fitzgerald and mixed by Andrew Vastola. Our music is by Dylan Peck. Our illustrations are by Christia Shenoy. Our photographs are by Julius Chew, graphics by Ethan Sineca and of course our team at Pushkin Industries. Justin Richmond, Kerry Brody, Jacob Smith, Eric Sandler, Keira Posey, Jorna McMillan, Tara Machado, Sarah Nix, Malcolm Gladwell, Gretacon.
Speaker 2: And Jacob Weisberg.
Speaker 1: I'm San Fragoso, thank you for listening to Talk Easy. I'll see you back here next week with a new episode. Until then, stay safe and so on.
Speaker 4: Had a fa