Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Buzzler Podcast the Mystery Meat at your nineteen eighties puzzle Cafeteria. I am your host, aj Jacobs, and today we have with us Vanessa and Jonah Bayer, siblings and hosts of the awesome podcast How did we get weird? Welcome Jonah and Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're such big, fancy yours. By the way, I almost tell you before I went to the Year of Living Biblically book reading you did in the West Village, got a sign book, and then you sent me a postcard when I moved out here. I moved from Brooklyn to the Berkshires, and you said it was like a good movie idea because for which is great, because you firs start promo for one of your books. You sent out postcards right.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, yeah, it was all about thankfulness and gratitude. And I sent you a thank you card and I'll send you another. I'll send you a listen.
Speaker 3: I was so excited to get it, so thank you again.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it. I love that we're friends and epistolary chums whatever that is. So Jonah and Vanessa are not just podcasts hosts. They both have multiple hyphens. Jonah is a writer, a musician, a licensed counselor, and Vanessa is a writer actor former cast member of Saturday Night Live, where she was known for many of her brilliant characters, including child actress Laura Parson and Jacob the bar Mitsva boy.
Speaker 4: By the way, sort of based on Jonah No way is that true? Yeah, realized it when I started doing it. And then Jonah's friends, adult friends, I will say, said, you're doing an impression of Jonah, and and then I realized it was taken partially from all the barnbut mits as I went to as a kid, but very much from from Jonah.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is big news. That is so cool. And Jonah, did you have a theme at your bar Mitzvah?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I don't remember. Apparently our mom thought themes were tacky quote unquote tacky, which I get.
Speaker 1: It, got it.
Speaker 4: We were not allowed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, theme with judaism right.
Speaker 3: I'm also I'm not a license counselor yet. If I do have a master's degree in clinical metalth counsel, I'm working towards licensure, So next time I'm on I will be licensed.
Speaker 1: All right, or maybe when this airs, you'll already maybe, yeah, I'm manifesting. It's nice. Well, thank you for that. Now Here at the Puzzler, we are huge fans of SNL, so of course we did have to have one SNL themed puzzle, and it's a rhyming puzzle. The answers are going to be two word rhyming phrases where one of the words is the last name of an SNL cast member. So, for instance, if the clue is Jim's raw Fish, that would be Jim from the original cast. Jim's raw Fish might be Jim the lushi sushi Belushi's Sushi, So they're always gonna rhy I see, I see. And I'll give you another example. Because Vanessa's coatings it's actually a little hard. Vanessa's slabs strata sheet coatings. Vanessa's that would be Bayars synonym for levels tears. Lads, got a layers nailed it. That is a tough one. It is because layers layers is a hard like. It's not an easy these ones. Hopefully it'll be a little more accessible, all right, how about this Amy's back teeth, Amy's back teeth. I got it, I've already got it.
Speaker 4: Nice, I want to give the audience a chance to catch up to me. But I would say, you're kind polars molars, polars.
Speaker 1: Molers is correct? All right? How about we keep with a dental theme and go with Bowen's sharp canines. Bowen's sharp canines.
Speaker 4: This one's I got this one. This one's a slam dunk, Jonah, do you have it?
Speaker 1: Yang's yangs yangs fangs exactly all right? Look at that, you're on fire. How about Kristen's Irish dances, Christen's Irish dances?
Speaker 4: Oh, this one, this one, I got it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Look at that. You guys are fast. Yeah. Wiggs Jigs, Wiggs jaggs excellent, all right, This one, this one a friend of mine suggested, and I actually didn't get it, but so I decided to try it on you and kills Vindaaloo Bill's vindaloo. The original cast, Oh, original cast, Yeah, this one going back, legendary, also very successful. Actor also bus Hurry Mury's curry exactly all right. A couple more, A couple more, because how about Jimmy's clause. Jimmy's clause, this was I think this was your era.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 1: Oh, she got it, she got it.
Speaker 4: I'd say Fallons talents.
Speaker 1: Falence Talents is absolutely correct. All right, how about one more? What about Rachel's lacerations. Rachel's lacerations? I got it, she got it already. Oh my god, do you have it?
Speaker 3: Scratches scratches.
Speaker 1: Nice, you got it now, I will say before we close out, there is actually a a cast member, former cast member, who you don't even need to make a clue because her name is like an answer. Her name is a rhyming phrase. I don't know if you let me give you she was. She was a cheerleader at one point. She oh, Barbara Walters was one of her characters, and she is hilarious. Exactly who you're talking about, Terry exactly? Say you lay that rhymes and I didn't even have to write any clues. Well you did fantastic. Thank you again. Where can people find more? Jonah and Vanessa content.
Speaker 4: Well, we have a podcast, funnily enough, called how Did We Get Weird? And on it we talk about nostalgic stuff from growing up with some really great guests like Jonah. Who are some of our great guests. There's so many it's starting to keep track. Dave Holmes, a friend of mine, Dy Ratmans our cousin, cousin Ricky Racman.
Speaker 1: And I will say one of the running theme I've noticed is that Vanessa, you will do a boast at the beginning of the show where you will say, and I am very good at and one of them was word games. He said, I'm very good at word games if I do say so myself. Oh well, there you go. You just proved. You just proved your boast not a liar. All right, Well, I have one for the puzzlers at home, Leslie's doppelganger, Leslie's Dopplegangers. Yeah, plural, let's go with plural. Please tune in to find out what that is, and don't forget to subscribe, and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles. They will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode we played with Ben Thompson and Pat and the extra critic clue you got was knuckles, tacks or rings might be made of this material. The answer, of course is brass.
Speaker 1: Thanks for playing