Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with the deadlock broken in the House over billions of dollars in foreign aid. After a six month impassed, lawmakers on both sides of the Isle voted to advance ninety five billion dollars in assistance to Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan. House Speaker Mike Johnson worked with Democrats and overcame an ouster threat from conservatives in his own party to secure the three hundred eleven to one hundred twelve vote. House Foreign Affairs Chairman Michael McCall says he thinks the speaker's job is safe.
Speaker 1: I'm so proud the Speaker, Mike Johnson. He went through a transformation. At the end of the day, a profile encourage.
Speaker 4: Is putting the nation above yourself, and that's.
Speaker 5: What he did.
Speaker 3: Foreign Affairs chair Michael McColl spoke on ABC's This Week, and Ukrainian President vladimir's Lenski went on NBC's Meet the Press to express his gratitude this.
Speaker 6: Aid will strengthen Ukraine and the femline upon powerful signal that it will not be the second Afghanistan. The United States will stay with Ukraine.
Speaker 3: President Zelenski spoke through an interpreter. Now the Senate plans to hold its first votes on the measure tomorrow. Senate Intelligence Chairman Mark Warner says, from there, the aide should get out relatively quickly.
Speaker 1: Once the President signs.
Speaker 7: We've been told that there is it is the President's signature, making sure Congress does its job that these materials will be entranted by the end.
Speaker 5: Of the week.
Speaker 3: Senator Warner was a guest on CBS's Face the Nation, which airs Sundays on Bloomberg Radio along with Meet the Press and ABC's This Week.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan tied to that aid package.
Speaker 2: The House also passed a measure requiring TikTok's owner by Dance to sell its stake in the social media firm if the Chinese company refuses to divest the platf for a maybe band in the United States. Sources have told Bloomberg that by Dance intends to fight the effort in court before he considers any kind of sale. Meanwhile, the TikTok executive who was tasked with easing US lawmaker's concerns is reportedly leaving his position. We get more with Bloomberg's Ed Baxter.
Speaker 8: The reports say that TikTok is letting him go, saying he wasn't doing enough to stave off US security concerns regarding its ties with owner Byte Dance in China. Eric Anderson's role had been incrementally reduced, but with the passage of the divest bill passed by the House over the weekend, it looks now more imminent. A TikTok statement said the reports were false, but then the publication the information said Anderson has informed his legal team that he is leaving and that it is his decision. Ed Baxter, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you now to the latest on the hush money criminal trial of Donald Trump. Opening statements are scheduled to begin today in Manhattan. Bloomberg Law hosts June So has the latest from New York.
Speaker 9: Donald Trump lost his last ditch effort on Friday to convince an appellet court to stop the trial and change its location. That clears the way for the prosecution and defense to give their opening statements today, outlining their cases for the jury of five women and seven men. The trial is moving faster than expected, with jury selection completed a week earlier than the judge anticipated. In New York, June Grosso, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Sorry, June, thanks well.
Speaker 2: Turning to Wall Street, It's a very busy week ahead for earnings with high profile big tech names and focus, and we get a preview from Bloomberg's Charlie Pillett.
Speaker 5: We'll be hearing from the likes of Alphabet, Metal Platforms, Tesla, and Microsoft as bulls look to earnings as a catalyst to get this year's rally back on track. Victoria Fernandez, as chief market strategist at Crossmark Global Investments.
Speaker 2: Thanks for Okay, the market didn't have big moves on that, and obviously we haven't hit a lot of those growth companies yet and then tend to move the market a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Also up this week Boeing, Lockheed, Martin, Northrop, Grumman, Caterpillar, Ford, GM, and ge In New York, Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 10: All right, Charlie.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Turning to the bond market, now treasuries are on track for their worst month this year. Now a hefty slate of auctions could be a major test of whether yields have peaked after reaching their highest levels of twenty twenty four. The market has to absorb a combined one hundred and eighty three billion dollar calendar of two five and seven year note sales, the first two of which will be at record levels.
Speaker 5: At the end of the week.
Speaker 3: Investors get a crucial inflation reading with the PCE deflator.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan and Company News.
Speaker 2: Tesla spent the weekend cutting prices of its models across China, Europe and the US and we get more from Bloomberg's Doug Chrisner.
Speaker 7: The discounts followed disappointing first quarter sales and bloated inventory. The prices of Tesla's best selling Model Y, as well as the Model S and X, were cut by two thousand dollars. The company also slashed the the price of its driver assistant software by more than thirty percent, and on top of that, CEO Elon Musk postponed a plan trip to India this week. He had been expected to meet with Prime Minister Mody and announce an investment. On Tuesday, Tesla will issue first quarter results. It's expected to report a forty percent plunge in operating profit, first revenue decline in four years in New York. I'm Doug Krisner, Bloomberg Radio. Thanks Doug.
Speaker 3: In deal news, Bloomberg News has learned talks for Salesforce to take over Informatica have cooled, with both parties struggling to agree to terms. The deal would have ranked among the largest ever buy Salesforce. Representatives for Salesforce and Informatica both declined to comment. Shares of Informatica are down more than six percent in early trading.
Speaker 2: Nathan private equity firm Blackstone has made a new proposal worth about one and a half billion dollars to purchase Hypnosis Song's fund Thattop's a bid made last week by music rights investor Conquered And for those of.
Speaker 3: You with time and a lot of money on hand, this story.
Speaker 11: Is for you.
Speaker 3: A rare Rolex with a split second chronograph sold for three and a half million dollars at auction in Monaco. That is a record price for the Rolex four one point one three produced in nineteen forty two. It is one of just twelve ever made and nine known to exist. The watch has a case diameter of one point seven three inches. That makes it one of the largest watches Rolex ever made.
Speaker 2: And it's time now for a look at some of their stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Welcome back, Michael, Thank you very much.
Speaker 10: Karen.
Speaker 11: There's a call for greater security as Passover begins at sundown today, as tensions over the Israel Hamas war loom. Authorities across the country are showing concern. Rabbi associated with Columbia University is urging Jewish students to go home, saying the university's public safety and the New York Police Department cannot guarantee Jewish student safety. Over the weekend, students with sleeping bags refused to leave the grounds of Columbia University. The pro Palestinian demonstrators called for the Ivy League Institution to divest its stocks, funds, and endowments from companies that they say profit from Israel's violations of international law and Palestinian human rights, among them. This student of Syrian descent.
Speaker 12: Seeing the parallels, witnessing the level of violence that Palestinians and Palstinians in the West Bank Palestinians all across Palestine are being subjected to, but especially the genocidalze.
Speaker 11: Some counter protests also popped up, calling for the terror network holding Israeli hostages inside Gaza to release them. Riva Feinstein is a retired administrator for Columbia.
Speaker 2: The whole thing breaks my heart, and isn't it especially I think it's.
Speaker 1: The worst, horrible, most horrible.
Speaker 8: Thing is what's going on with these hostages that it's one hundred and ninety eight days today.
Speaker 11: Some ares were made over the weekend when protesters on campus refused to leave and tussled with the NYPD. A military base in Syria belonging to a US led coalition came under rocket fire late on Sunday. That's according to a statement from the government affiliated Iraqi Security media Cell. It said at least one rocket landed at the base, its first reported attack on the US base in the Middle East since February. A person has been taken into custody after allegedly breaking into the home of Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass. Police say it happened early Sunday morning. Police say the unidentified suspect smashed one of the homes windows to gain entry before being taken into custody without further incident. LAPD Lieutenant James myonachus, it's the.
Speaker 13: Mayor of the city and we're concerned in any resident that has somebody just come into their home, so we treat this very seriously.
Speaker 11: The Mayor's office says she was at home and was uninjured. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg New Now Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Kern, right, Michael Barr, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Time now for the Bloomberry Scores update with John stash Hour.
Speaker 1: John, good morning, Good morning, Carrod.
Speaker 4: After the winningest regular season in club history, obviously high hopes for the Rangers and the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Game one at the Arden Rangers in Capitol scoreless first period than the first Ranger goal the postseason came from an unlikely player.
Speaker 11: Rempy carries the puck over the red line with Goodrow on left wing. Rank White pass collected by VC off the wall, beats it behind.
Speaker 5: An end good Troit tight.
Speaker 1: I score the best.
Speaker 5: Rempy on the doorstep Hen he bangs it home.
Speaker 4: Honey ESP New York rookie Matt Rempy, known more for his fighting skills of his goal scoring thirty three seconds later. Our Semi Pineren scored minut and a half after that. Jimmy VC Rangers beat Washington four to one. Game two tomorrow home team's all one Florida, Vancouver and Winnipeg a wild one with Colorado. The Jets won seven to six to six goals scored in both the first and third periods.
Speaker 11: Home cooking.
Speaker 4: Also in the NBA, Celtics by twenty over Miami, Jason Tatum at triple double. Clippers played without the injured Kawhi Leonards still beat Dallas easily. Milwaukee was without Gianni sun To the Compost still beat Indiana easily. Damian Lillard scored thirty five for the Bucks, all of them in the first half. Close won last night in Oklahoma City by two over New Orleans Nixon Sixers. Game two tonight at MSG, the Mets six game win streak came to a crashy haul. Dodgers won ten to nothing. A home run for showe O Tommy that gave him the record for most by a Japanese player, surpassing the x Yankee Hideki Matsui. Yankees top Tampa Bay five to four day game today at the stadium with Oakland. The only thing that can stop Scottie Scheffler the rain at Hilton Head. He'll be back early this morning to seemingly finished up another win. Leads by five with three holes to play. It'll be Scheffer's fourth winning his last five and on the LPGA Tour, Nelly Corda has won each of her last five tournaments. The only others to do that Nancy Lopez and Anica Sorenstain that with Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 10: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Months of deadlock on aid to Ukraine and Israel are finally broken on Capitol Hill. The ninety five billion dollar package is headed to the Senate now for the first votes expected tomorrow after a bipartisan series of votes in the House that had Speaker Mike Johnson facing off with hardliners in his own party for more.
Speaker 5: We are joined by.
Speaker 3: Terry Haynes, founder of Pangaea Policy. Terry, Good morning, does the passage of this aid blunt geopolitical risk for this market?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Nathan. You know, I think the Ukraine the House package is a geopolitical risk positive, but I think it's very much outweighed by what's going on in the Middle East right now. You know the mark I think are taking comfort in the word de escalation, But when you've had very serious escalation before people decide they're not going to shoot everything they've got at each other, that net serious escalation, not de escalation. You know, if you have the stock goes up by ten points and then it goes down one, you know like that it's not going down you got plus nine. And that's kind of where we are today.
Speaker 3: And now that this package is heading to the Senate, I wonder what that risk of further escalation in the Middle East means for the prospects for this package there. I've got to think that there would be a number of progressive senators who are concerned about the way this war has been going in Gaza that might have a little bit of pause when it comes to providing further aid. Is there that risk there?
Speaker 13: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think in the end this aid package passes by the way, so let's start there. But yeah, absolutely, there are a lot of things that could slow this down, and concerns about Gazer is right up there at the top. Another potential one is the TikTok issue. Not so much because there's any lack of concern about TikTok, but there is a difference of opinion. There has been a difference of opinion in the Senate with the House on exactly how you ought to deal with the TikTok issue, So there's a potential that that falls out or changes as well. And if that happens and the Center ultimately passes a bill that isn't identical to the House, then it has to go back to the House for another vote, So this might get delayed by a week or so.
Speaker 3: The TikTok aspect of this is pretty interesting because it's been altered to give by Dance up to a year to finish the divestment, which puts it past the November election. And any concerns that a lot of lawmakers might have about whether this app could have an impact on the November election.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's on that level. I think it's it's a little strange. Yeah, at the same time, I think it is. The impulse here was primarily fairness, the idea that that an immediate divestiture would be unfair to the asset, and and and look like some sort of a fire sale, and frankly bring up another another series of legal issues. So so what they decided to do was give it some time to to to find an appropriate buyer.
Speaker 3: In terms of how this got done, Terry House Speaker Johnson had to look past an ouster threat to work with Democrats to get it done. Is Speaker Johnson's job in danger this morning?
Speaker 13: Yeah, certainly there's a threat to it. I do think that it's it's less likely that he ends up getting ousted, though you know, if I had to put my put my quarter somewhere, I'd put it on john staying.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: You know, the vast, vast majority of Republicans want him to stay, and I think that continues. I don't I don't take lightly the idea that this small band of supposed House purists might seek to try to take him down. But I think there's there's such disapproval from the from the body of Republicans overall that I think it's it's unlikely to happen. What these folks seem to be hanging their hat on. Is the idea that if there's any you know, there, any more than the three that are currently now there, well, then Johnson's going to see the light and he's gonna, you know, he's going to have to resign just to be honorable or something. Well, you know, Johnson's already showed you what he's interested in being honorable on, which is, among other things, American leadership and globally an American foreign policy. He professes not to be concerned about that, and I think I'll take it as a word on it.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 3: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak
Speaker 10: And by