Speaker 1: Hello, How did We Get Weird? Listeners?
Speaker 2: This week we are going to re air one of our favorite episodes with the hilarious and delightful Sam Richardson. We're talking about our days in Chicago doing improv, teenage Mutant, Ninja, Turtles, Power Rangers, and so much more. So please enjoy and we will be back next week with a brand new episode.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Vanessa Mayor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 4: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are.
Speaker 2: Today, who are pretty into layering during the winter months, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 3: Welcome to How did We Get Weird?
Speaker 2: So, Jonah, I was thinking about our guests today, and I was thinking about when we first met. Now, I know this has less to do with you and me and more to do with me and our guest, but I still wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just give me a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, get into.
Speaker 1: It, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm so excited about today's guest and the way that I first met him was I was doing improv in Chicago. I was, you know, out of college for a few years. Doing improv in Chicago, and then all of a sudden and I'm with all these Chicago improvisers, don't we think we're funny? And then all of a sudden, this group of Detroit improvisers moves to Chicago, and they are so much funnier than us.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: Our guest is kind of acting like, oh, that's true, and you know it. It includes our guest today. Tim Robinson was another one of the Detroit people. I mean, these people, they're just so much funnier than us, in like such a real way. And then I one summer got to do a show in Detroit, which I guess must have been after that, and I was like, whether they're in Chicago or Detroit, they're so much funnier than us. By the way, this is not meant to I think Chicago improvisers are so funny.
Speaker 1: Got Detroit improvisers are funny here.
Speaker 4: So, Vanessa, what was funnier about was it like a different like longer form for shorter form, or different sensibility or what made it funnier to you?
Speaker 2: They specifically as people were better at comedy than us.
Speaker 3: They were just funnier humans.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, so I think The first thing we should do after we introduce our guests today is ask why are they funnier?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, why don't you introduce him? And then we can ask ourselves? Right now?
Speaker 1: That sounds great.
Speaker 2: Jonah, our guest today, is an actor, comedian, writer, producer. You may know him from playing Richard Split on the HBO political comedy series Veep co creating and starring in the comedy series Detroititers with Tim Robinson. What about starring the Apple TV series The After Party?
Speaker 3: Or how about this?
Speaker 2: How about when he was nominated for a Primetime Enemy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor a Comedy Series for his performance in Teslaso. Folks, you know him from that, but I know him from our days of improvising together in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Sam Richardson.
Speaker 5: You know, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: I don't know where, well, yeah, now, I think truly Detroit improvisers. Like in Chicago, I feel everybody knows what improv is. So like when you're performing an improv show, everybody is like on board immediately, and in Detroit that's not the case. So you have to like just like learn to become real good, real fast, right, because that's the only way it works. So like there's a whole bunch of people who were like what is this and you're like trust me, and then you know it's like we all like train this hyperbolic chamber of no laps for a.
Speaker 5: Long time and then you like squeeze blood from the stone.
Speaker 3: That's my yes.
Speaker 2: I feel like Tim has told me a similar thing, which is that like, yeah, we were performing at like Second City and Io, these places where it's like everyone's kind of there to have fun, whereas you guys were often well you had a Second City there, but you was.
Speaker 6: The So Second City was first was in Detroit City proper, and it was in the Hockeytown Cafe and it was like right across the street from Camerica Park and like it's right like downtown, and that was like where it started and was there for like ten a little less than ten years, and so there it was like, oh, this like cool small black box theater of Second City where you know you're in here, you're in our rules, and it's like it's fun and funn you can like really come out on the city and all that stuff. Then it closed down and then reopened in Nova, which is a suburb, which.
Speaker 2: Is where I did a summer doing Jews call the musical in Nova.
Speaker 6: That's right, yes, And Nova was is like a very very much the suburbs, and they were right above Andiamo restaurant. It's the Italian restaurant and the club next door. And anybody who came out there, they didn't care. It's like a big open space, which is not great for a small comedy.
Speaker 2: And wasn't there another place that you guys kind of would perform it a lot where you really had to prove like So.
Speaker 6: Then there was also planet Ant Theater, which that was like a night that the audience was like on board for in that space because it was like very like very experimental like there. And so like there was that plus comedy like so you know where we got to like write our first shows and everything. Yeah, and like sort of get a feel for what our comedic voices were. It's like really really it was Planet Ant that like let us find out who are what our comedic voices are, and then Second City let us polish them in front of like paying like a full proper paying audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here we are in Chicago in these like really nice, big theaters where everyone knows what improv is.
Speaker 5: Everyone people people have flown to right, They're like, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Sam, I don't know if you know this. I've done a little improv myself. It's not really a big deal. I haven't been nominated for an Emmy or Primetime Emmy, but you know, I had an experience where I took some improv classes at UCB. Yeah, I took one, my first class ever. It was a very long time with Antheon Taminak.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 4: And then I took a second one. It was very strange because we had our class show. We got a lot of laughs, and our teacher was upset that we didn't follow the game. We weren't playing the Dell close thing. And it was so weird because I was like, Okay, this is a comedy show, but they were so focused on the Dell close thing that, like our teacher was actually was kind of annoyed with us. And then I kind of never did it again because I was like, this is isn't it kind of supposed to make people laugh too? Like did you have that kind of experience or was it more kind of free form for you?
Speaker 6: I mean, I get the idea of like, oh, we want you to know the rules before you break the rules.
Speaker 5: Make sure sure of course that.
Speaker 6: But like also I feel like what happens so much and I'm not downing any of the theaters or anything like that, or at least I'm subtly doing that.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 6: It's like it becomes so much about like the form of it, and then everybody just kind of like plugs themselves into it. But like the whole point of the form is just to like make somebody forget, to like just make somebody lose and like kind of not worry about it. But if you're not worried about it and you're doing it, then you don't need the form, right, you know what I mean, as long as it works, right. But like the whole idea of like these like structures and all that is just to put some bones. You put meat on the bones, and you can just kind of get in there and like be playful without have to worry about like how the stretch of it works because the strucure is already established.
Speaker 5: But again, if you don't need that, it's a crutch.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, And in a trait we didn't like really like nail forms every now and then somebody would like come back from a trip from Chicago or like, it's just rather we've.
Speaker 5: Got to do uh you know what I mean, We've got to do this form. And we're like yeah, sure.
Speaker 6: No, we're just gonna I'm just gonna come in as a waiter and and then like listen and respond and like I'm gonna fall down a bunch and that's gonna work.
Speaker 2: I also think in Chicago it was well, depending on like what improv team you were on or whatever, it was such a like big deal to like follow the structure. And again, I had the best time in Chicago, and I learned so much and it you know, got me, you know, to where I am now and everything.
Speaker 1: But just thinking about.
Speaker 3: Stuff that we would do, what we would be like we'll.
Speaker 2: Take a suggestion and it would be like we would pretty much really do Harold's which is like to the listener who's not super familiar with improv, it's like a structure of like an improv show that's like you get a suggestion and then you do you do like.
Speaker 6: A loose like like a bunch of like word finding, like some sort of open game to start out or like some exercises walking around, Like if a suggestion is water, you're like.
Speaker 5: Oh, ducks ponds, like walk.
Speaker 2: Diving, you know, so bud, But while you're saying that, you have to be like pulling it from the air and doing really embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Stuff exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, a duck is in water the waves, and.
Speaker 2: Then like by the end of it, everyone's going like tear drop, tier.
Speaker 6: Drop drop, tear drop, tear drop, drop, drop, drop, drop drop the base, and then you're in a club and then.
Speaker 2: You do like three scenes. Oh my god, I don't know how we did it because it's like it seems so hard not to do it and be like so, and then you do three scenes that are like kind of loosely based on that, and like it'll be like coming out and being like and then like sometimes no one's going out and you just have to go out and be like, hey, Joe, big day at the office today.
Speaker 4: Your improv skills have only gotten sharper with times.
Speaker 5: But I'll tell you what that is the reality of what it was like.
Speaker 6: The initiation would be like, hey, Joe, office, it's Greg's birthday, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, I forgot to get the cake for Greg's birthday. We have to bake a cake right now.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right, let's bake it right now in the office.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: We've got a sink, we've got uh got a microwave, a microwave, I've got some flour in the kitchen, and i'll I guess we'll flavor it with.
Speaker 3: These onions scenes.
Speaker 5: Ha ha ha. If you're lucky, now.
Speaker 1: Don't worry because you go, oh, the scene's over.
Speaker 2: That stinks. Absolutely not. We're going to come back to it in the second half. So then you do three scenes that are like that kind of unrelated, or they can be on the same.
Speaker 5: Theme exactly, or they could be exactly.
Speaker 6: So moving forward in time a little bit like after the oh the cake didn't go well or he got sick.
Speaker 5: And then that's that. Then you're doing that for another five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now between that, so you do three scenes in a row, and then there's another game where you go, like you would maybe want to pick up on what was the suggestion It.
Speaker 5: Was duck water, and then duck was what it came from, Oh.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, water.
Speaker 2: So then the next thing, maybe someone goes on stage and goes glug glug glug glug glug, and then people start like harmonizing.
Speaker 6: With it, and everybody's doing kind of a dance.
Speaker 5: The idea of being is a real palate cleanser.
Speaker 2: Cause right, that's right, that's right, it's supposed to be a palate clean And then you come back to the three seats and yeah, like you said, Sam, like when you get to that scene about the cake in the office, then it's like Joe's like, hmm, this cake looks really good and then he tries it and he's like, guys, guys.
Speaker 5: You know I'm allergic to onions.
Speaker 2: Right, And they go oh shit, and then it's like then, why did you eat the cake? And he goes, I didn't think onions would be in a cake. Everyone last, someone runs across the stage, because that's.
Speaker 1: The end of the scene.
Speaker 3: That's how you edit.
Speaker 1: That's how someone has to run across.
Speaker 2: The stage, which is also it's also really hard to be that person I've always found who edits the scene because it's like you're basically like, also, you can't let people sit out there and improvise for too long because then they look stupid.
Speaker 1: But it's hard because you have to.
Speaker 6: Run across exactly, like do like a light jog across the stage to show the audience, and the players say, all right, and that's it.
Speaker 5: It's a white so that's so that's that scene.
Speaker 1: And who doesn't look extremely cool doing a light jog?
Speaker 2: So then three scenes again.
Speaker 1: Then you do another game, which.
Speaker 6: Is like the last game for this one, somebody would be like somebody would like initiate that you're at a water talk show.
Speaker 5: And everybody would be like a guest on that thing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 6: Everybody's included because like do you typically have like oh, so with all these things, they're doing three different scenes per act. Let's say it's a three act thing, right, so like so we will do our office scene, but somebody else is doing you know, a mother daughter scene, going to you know a park, and then somebody else is doing a scene.
Speaker 3: In a womb, right exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know that sort of third act or a pre third act.
Speaker 6: Sort of group thing is just includes everybody the palate cleanser and maybe incorporates like little bits and things from what you've done, or it just like doesn't at all, and you know it.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea.
Speaker 2: So you're saying like maybe the third game is like an underwater or like an aquatic talk show where like the characters from the other scenes in the show come on.
Speaker 6: Well I wouldn't did, because a third act usually has everybody and then they like sometimes like we in between.
Speaker 3: Right right right? Yes, man, my whole life same here.
Speaker 4: I feel like our listeners are getting just a masterclass in improv.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, honestly, that's really like if you were going to move to Chicago or Detroit and learn improv, now you don't have to.
Speaker 5: Exactly, we just saved you five years of grind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what it is. Just practice that you know, and you're some comfortable space.
Speaker 6: In your home, exactly enough space to be able to lie out two people can lie head to toe, head to toe and you know, I mean have space that's about as much bace as you need, and a backline and then you're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've really set some people up here. Now before we go to our first commercial break, can I just bring up one other thing that happens, yes, which is that a couple improv teams might do heralds and then there's this thing called the dream.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, Sam, oh my god. The dream is.
Speaker 2: This thing where you pick an audience member, you single them out, you bring them on stage, and you tell us about your day and they're like I had. By the way, it seems like I feel like I'm shitting on Chicago im pravd.
Speaker 1: I actually love it, and I don't. That's not how I mean this.
Speaker 5: I just I'm looking lovingly.
Speaker 1: Okay, someone's like on stage.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Jonah, Like, imagine we would like bring you up on stage.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jonah, We're going to do it to you now.
Speaker 3: Jonah.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess it's morning, so you haven't had a full day. Tell us about your day yesterday. You don't really have to. I won't take a long time with this, but okay, yeah, Like what did you have for breakfast?
Speaker 3: Woke up?
Speaker 4: I had some cereal for breakfast, took my dog for a walk, came home, did some work, and then and what do you do for work?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, Well what is it you do for work? Another person would come Out'm like okay, yeah, and what is it that wants.
Speaker 3: To get on stage?
Speaker 1: So like I think of a question. Gotta think of a question for this guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm a therapist. Oh wow, wow.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. Okay, someone who does improv all day. That's really cool. Okay, sorry, just kidding. Wow, interesting, interesting, cool, cool? And okay, So you went to your job. Do you see clients or is.
Speaker 5: There anyone you work with that you know what I mean? Who annoys you or that you really like?
Speaker 4: Just a regular day. And then I came home and then played with my dog some more. Okay, played with your dog? Did you eat dinner?
Speaker 3: I did eat dinner?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, the question what are your dog's names?
Speaker 3: A dog's name is loopen okay, dog's loopin. Okay, like the flower. Okay, okay, got it, got it? Like the flower? Okay.
Speaker 1: And then you had dinner? What did you have for dinner?
Speaker 3: I had mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: Okay, you had mashed potatoes. And then did you watch any tea or anything like that?
Speaker 4: I watched the news? You watch the news while I ate mashed potatoes.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well, thank you very much. Know what this is your dream?
Speaker 1: Okay, so then we do Jonah's dream?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Me.
Speaker 1: Someone is just whoa.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, what did.
Speaker 1: You have for breakfast?
Speaker 5: Cereal?
Speaker 1: Time for Cereal our sloop in, loop in. Please be quiet. I have to go to work.
Speaker 3: Walk walk walk walk walk to work.
Speaker 6: H I'm having so many problems today, Jonah, it's just like the week has been so weird and like just I'm having problems with my mother and my father.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what you should do. You should talk to them.
Speaker 5: Hmmm, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, work work, work, and then everyone on stages work work, work, work, work work.
Speaker 1: Well, it's time to go home.
Speaker 2: Walk walk walk walk walk walk walk walk or arp.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take you for a walk, walk walking walking walking. Okay, finally time to have dinner. Hmm what should I have?
Speaker 6: I'd come out and I'd be the fridge of like empty empty empty empty, mashed potatoes empty empty, empty empty.
Speaker 2: And then I go, I guess I have one choice, and then everyone on the stage goes Masha, and then I go, well, I guess I'll turn on did you say you watch TV?
Speaker 3: You're not supposed to news?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's time to turn on the TV. And then someone who hasn't got the last.
Speaker 5: Stage time, last chance to do something.
Speaker 3: And in the.
Speaker 2: News tonight, a lot of things happening in the world, and that's the news. And then I go, okay, now go to sleep, Sleep, Sleep, Sleep.
Speaker 1: And that, ladies and gentlemen, was Jonah's dream.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 6: The audience laughs, And it's Chicago. The audience laughs, and the audience.
Speaker 2: Laughs, lap slaps. Maybe some other places the audience, yes, you know, maybe.
Speaker 5: Some here too.
Speaker 3: Maybe that was incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: So that was your exact dream last night. Okay, And with that, we're going to take a quick commercial break. I won't be right back, Sam Richardson, and we're back from commercial break.
Speaker 3: Back from commercial break, Sam, my nical question for you.
Speaker 4: You know, Vanessa, did the Second City Touring company, did some cruise ships stuff. Did you do any kind of touring stuff when you were kind of cutting your teeth in the biz?
Speaker 5: I did. I performed Second Seed Detroit. Then I worked in a cruise ship.
Speaker 6: Actually that is where I first met you, Vanessa, because you were on the ship with Brett Oh and Chris and we met in Miami for like up talking about like a day, and then I moved to Chicago.
Speaker 5: After that. I was on the ship for a year.
Speaker 3: Okay, you were on a ship for a year.
Speaker 6: Two contracts he did five months and then home for a month and five more months.
Speaker 2: Than oh, okay, okay, okay, okay. So we actually met on a cruise ship.
Speaker 5: For a day in my because the way.
Speaker 3: The ships we were docked in Miami exactly.
Speaker 6: So like we were at I can't remember where, but one of my oldest and best friends, Brett Ganell, was in your cast, right, So I went to meet up with him, and then I was introduced to you and Chris Watowski and Brett Lyons.
Speaker 2: Lions right, and who's your Molly Durand and our music? That tall guy, Yeah, he was very talented and I truly can't believe I'm blanking on his name.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Johnny Rotowski, was it.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't John Edwardtowski. But I worked with him when I did Jusic Call the musical.
Speaker 4: Vanessa, you have a poster of the CULD cast of this ship somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, there was one in our in our grandparents grandparents apartment and in our parents' house. Yeah, the laminated poster of that cast and musical director who's name we're blanking on was in my parents' house, my grandparents' apartment.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so Sam, you did a five month contract. You said this was pretty cool, I'm going to do it again. Did you think like this could just be my thing or you after a year you were ready to move on?
Speaker 6: Well, I went to the ships because I was trying to move out to Chicago to do Second City. Actually, really I want to go to Vegas because like, that's gonna be the coolest job, because.
Speaker 1: There was a Second City in Vegas then right.
Speaker 5: There was there was for me.
Speaker 6: I was like twenty one, and I was like, this could be the best job a twenty one year old could have, is like to live in Vegas and like work.
Speaker 5: You know, as an adult.
Speaker 6: I'm like, now, I'm like that would have been the death of me, and like, but I really wanted to do Second City Vegas, you know, because like, oh, they do have Second City main stage in Chicago. That's lofty, but Vegas is like accessible.
Speaker 5: I want to do that. Of course I want to tour.
Speaker 6: So I went to work on the cruise ship and while I was in the first cruise ship, Second City Detroit closed. So then I was gonna move to La But I was like, all right, well, I'll just do another cruise ship to kind of figure out what I'm going to do. In the meantime, I was just like, work on this cruise ship. Did the cruise ship. Then they hired me to the touring company. So I moved to Chicago, toured for two years, and then got hired for the main stage, and then did two years in the main stage before I moved up to LA And that's.
Speaker 5: Life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And Vanessa, you understudied my touring company, Greenco. And we had the best time because you think you came in for Lily for like a week on a tour, and that's why I was like, oh my godness is the funniest and the absolute best because.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was so fun.
Speaker 2: Was I stealing stuff left and right on that tour too, because whatever, I love free stuff.
Speaker 5: Love free show. It's all this soap. It's so free.
Speaker 2: There were always a lot of extra bottles of water that I'm like, no one's gonna take these.
Speaker 5: Exactly, just like let me sit here. It wasn't ways.
Speaker 2: Wait, your ship was also docking in Miami. Was it your first cruise ship or your second cruise ship?
Speaker 5: It was my first cruise ship. Yeah. Yeah, it was the Norwegian Pearl.
Speaker 3: Oh great, I remember the Pearl.
Speaker 2: I remember the Okay, so we met on the cruise ships first.
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought we met in Chicago first. I got that.
Speaker 6: Wrong, unless I met you when we were like auditioning. But I'm pretty sure it was Brett introduced.
Speaker 5: Me to you.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet that makes sense. That makes sense. Yeah, yeah, such funny Detroit guys.
Speaker 3: Look at us now here.
Speaker 5: We are my own recording studio here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For listeners who didn't hear, I thought that Sam was in a recording studio, but he said, he's just in the room that has a lot of stuff, slide.
Speaker 5: Junk, glad of junk, I lot of toys on the wall.
Speaker 2: Actually, it really looks cool to me. I'm sitting on the floor of my guest bedroom.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Johnah, I was gonna say, you know, say I'm speaking of toys.
Speaker 1: Here comes a seamless transition.
Speaker 4: We reached out to you about topics. You picked a great one, which is action packed television shows like Power Rangers, ThunderCats, Ninja Turtles, And I'm just curious, like, why did you kind of pick this topic? Were you really into these shows growing up? Do you still watch them? What's behind that for you?
Speaker 6: I was obsessed with these things, like they really did, Like they were my whole life, like you know, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers. Like like when we asked a question, I was like, well, what are things? And like it took me a second because like I'm still really into these things. So it's like, wats them that shaped my childhood? As I sit on like a Ninja Turtles chair and look at my wall of Power Rangers, and I was like, oh well, and I was like trying think of like other stuff. I was like, well, but no, these things, true are what like shaped me? And I was like so obsessed with them as a kid. I lived in Ghana for a while, you know, back and forth, but like in first grade and second grade i lived in Ghano. I would have like all these tapes of stuff, and like the tapes would be of you know, Ninja Turtles or like you know movies, but like a lot of like g I Joe and like he Man and ThunderCats and so like I would just watch these on repeat, and like now I have like a encyclopedic knowledge. I'm like yes to a question about ThunderCats. I can tell you anything about it. I was a Thundercat for Halloween. I was lying over Halloween, like a few years ago. I was skeletor of this past Halloween.
Speaker 5: You know. I got into martial arts because of Ninja Turtles, you know.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that's why I picked it. Because it's even still I'm like, actually, they are legit good movies, and I agree.
Speaker 5: I agree with myself.
Speaker 3: Sam.
Speaker 4: I was in a punk band in college for a few years and we're called mamra Oh.
Speaker 5: The Ever Living. That's incredible to people who.
Speaker 2: Aren't super familiar with ThunderCats, Can you explain that name?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: So the ThunderCats were this humanoid cat people from this planet called Thundera, and their world is being destroyed, so they left their planet and landed on this place called Third Earth, so that they were trying to make a new world there on Third Earth. There were about seven ThunderCats who were like the last surviving members of Thundera. By Lionel with the Sword of Omens, which was the like sort of symbol of the ThunderCats. But it's like this power, magical power sword that held the eye of Thundera, which was the a like a magic jewel that was the source of the Thundercat's powers essentially, and so the ThunderCats essentially the ThunderCats like being the name I'm assuming comes from like dinosaurs being thunder lizards, but these are.
Speaker 5: ThunderCats, got it. But they weren't huge.
Speaker 6: They were like human size but like very strong humans, like very big humans, but they were like had cat features.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, Okay, Well I was actually asking about the name Mamra, but I didn't.
Speaker 5: But Mamra was like a mummy. He was like a mummy sorcerer, evil sorcerer. So he's Momrob.
Speaker 6: But then he like turned into like a big version of Mamra who was like very muscular, but he was very like Egyptian themed. Okay, had like yeah snakes and like he was, yeah, that's mum Rah and Rob being the god of the Egyptian son god. That's never like pointed out in the show because that's not really what he is, but I think it's just something that sounded very you know, and they're like, what's his name, mummy Rah, Like mam is good.
Speaker 5: Hotel, cool name.
Speaker 1: Jonah, you guys used it in your Yeah.
Speaker 4: No one knew really what it was I feel like very few people got that reference. And this is probably early two thousands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been all over.
Speaker 1: It interesting that you picked the villain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know how that happened. I don't remember.
Speaker 6: Ancient spirits of evil, that was what we say. You say, ancient spirits of evil transform this decayed form to Mamra the ever living, and then he turned like huge, wow.
Speaker 3: Moving wow.
Speaker 2: So you watched these shows a lot growing up. When did you move to the US or back to the US.
Speaker 6: So I moved back after second grade, so I was there for first and second grade. So that would have been like nineteen ninety two is when it came back to the or ninety three is when I moved back to the States, back to Detroit, And like you know, this whole time, I'd just been watching and watching and watching, and like that's around then.
Speaker 5: Is also like when Power Rangers came.
Speaker 3: Out right right right right yeah, and.
Speaker 6: It was like aimed right at my chest because like I was, how would I have been. I would have been like eight seven or eight years old? Yeah, and I just you see these I remember that the toy commercials and then the Fox like I was watching Fox and like the commercial four Power Rangers came out and I was blown away.
Speaker 5: I was like, what is this how?
Speaker 6: And like the idea they were teenagers was like so cool because I was like, oh man, I'm gonna be exactly like that, and I'm gonna have powers and I'm gonna be able to morphine transform.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be morphin time. Never happened for me.
Speaker 1: So you were at the perfect age for that.
Speaker 2: I never thought about them as being Did they fight a lot Power Rangers?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they would fight the Putties first, like so the Tears. So the Power Rangers' idea is Rita Fulsa is released from her prison on the Moon after ten thousand years ago, putting this tomb by Zord on on the Moon, and then like there's a mission to the Moon that the US takes or whatever the world takes, and then they find this thing and they take the top off of it and it releases Rita and her evil forces.
Speaker 5: And so Zordan finds five young people.
Speaker 6: Teenagers with attitude and brings them to the command center and gives them these power coins that then turn them into the Power Rangers, and so then they can transform and they can protect the earth from the evil forces of Rita. And so they would fight the putties, which were her like goons that were made of clay. They'd fight them, but then like they would make monsters out of clay who would be like Pudgy Pig or Madam Woa or you know what I mean, a nasty night and they would fight them first with their blade blasters, then use their power weapons. If that didn't work, then they would she would make them huge, you know, building size. So then they would call their power zords, which were these like robot dinosaurs, and then they'd come out, and then the robot dinosaurs didn't do it, then they could combine the robot dinosaurs and make the Megasord, which would then fight the giant monster with his power sword, which came from the sky and would always win the day of.
Speaker 2: Course, of course, And what do you think you loved so much about that show and that show in particular, but also all of these kind of action packed sort of magical adventure shows.
Speaker 5: Huh, you have never thought about it.
Speaker 6: So I had gotten into martial arts at the cot Ninja Turtles.
Speaker 2: So, like, Jonah, did you get into martial arts because of a ninja turt I did take taekwondo classes around that age.
Speaker 4: I don't know directly, but I'm sure it was influenced probably by my favorite ninja turtle, Donatello.
Speaker 6: Yes, down Teller from the movie is my favorite as my favorite ninja turtle, but usually Leonardo's is.
Speaker 5: My favorite period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 5: I find like I'm most like the two of them.
Speaker 6: However, I feel like as a person I'm a little bit of all four of them in some way, you know what I mean, All four of them make one sam.
Speaker 2: Yes, but like oh same here, because I love pizza, you know what.
Speaker 6: I mean, That's the main thing. I'm a party dude, but I also do machines. Sometimes I lead, but I'm also I'm cool but rude.
Speaker 1: Which one is funny?
Speaker 5: That depends.
Speaker 6: Michael is a funny one in the movies. In the cartoon, Rafael is the sarcastic.
Speaker 1: Funny one that's so weird that they switch that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but because in the movie Rafael is the brooding you know what I mean, like upset one. So he's so his idea is like the prodigal son, like he doesn't feel like he's knit with the group. Because teen, he's like the most teen angsty one. So like he like it's really trying to find himself and so like he leaves the group a little bit and then that's kind of like the push pull and so with that then you have like Michael Angelo and Dona Tello or like the sort of like comedic duo or Michael Angelo is just like jokes, jokes, jokes, gags. Dona Tello sits back and he's like very like quippy. But Leonardo was like the leader and he's like a little dorky, but he's trying to like keep his brothers together. But meanwhile fight with Rafael because he's like I'm trying to keep us together and he's like you, you know, the boss and me, and so like that's essentially the very it's a very good film.
Speaker 5: If you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the original.
Speaker 5: Film, the nineteen ninety that had.
Speaker 1: The song go Ninja, Go, Ninja.
Speaker 6: Go from two that's from Ninja Turtles too.
Speaker 2: Was there an original song from the first one? And can you sing turtle Power Turtle Power? That's right, Yeah, so it was a rap song.
Speaker 6: I can't remember the name of the guy who did it, but I remember so well because it would come up at the end of the movie on the half show anyway.
Speaker 5: Anyway, the guy, the guyud rap and he would.
Speaker 6: Like explain the plot of the movie, you know, like which is what like rap songs in those days. It would just at the end of the movie, the person would wrap a thing that would explain the whole movie that you just saw, you sa, you just saw it, you know what I mean, like and like clearly he saw it, and seeing it was like taking on some notes and then that's what the rap would be about. It's not phlegmatic, it's just directly Wikipedia. It was like Wikipedia before Wikipedia.
Speaker 4: This this is incredible. So it was by this hip hop duo from New York called Partners in Crime. Crime is spelled k R y m E, and that itself is a crime, and it's an acronym for keep rhythm, your motivating element.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: And you know they were like, that's it, that's it, Partners in Crime.
Speaker 5: The sand in Turtles, We're gonna take off.
Speaker 6: But my favorite thing about it, which was also I hated, is he would explain the movie, but he'd get it so wrong, Like he described all of them. He was like this, and Raphael, he's a leader of the crew, and I'm like, no, he's not.
Speaker 5: He's specifically not, he's not. He's very much not the leader.
Speaker 4: It's like, maybe we should be listening to someone who can spell crime correctly, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like it was clearly a mistake. They're like, no, actually, what it stands for is keep rhythm and not even rhyme. Is it rhythm?
Speaker 3: Keep rhythm your motivating element.
Speaker 5: Your motivating element? Like, how do you even do that?
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, I was killing some time at a Walmart and they had sam if you remember the Ninja Turtles video game, which was huge, oh and how and they had like you know how now you can buy arcade games and I was playing it. I was going some time and then like part of me was like I should buy this, like and then I feel like I couldn't really do it and probably would not be good for my productivity.
Speaker 3: But that was an incredible game.
Speaker 5: Don't you think it was an incredible game? You can buy it now.
Speaker 6: They have like the little mini it's called one up game where they it's like a little mini box.
Speaker 3: That's what I was playing. Yeah, yeah, do you have it?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 6: It's like one of those things where you like, I could buy it for myself. I'm like, I gotta find a special occasion and.
Speaker 5: It just stays at the store. Yeah, I want one very much. I want that, and I want NBA jam Oh. Yeah. Arcade Machine. They just released maybe.
Speaker 6: A little bit ago, a game called Revenge of the Shredder Ninja Turtles. So it's like very throwback to the old, like Arcade in Trots games, and it's like a multiplayer game. You completely friends online and you can be the four Turtles plus two more so you can be total six people and you're just like going through side squirrel fighting. It's so much fun as like a full almost forty year old adult man playing with my other almost forty years or forty plus adult men friends or friends and like playing as Ninja Turtles and like calling out the guy who you are and I'm le because I'm I'm most like him, and then we played through the levels. But it's great Ninja Turtles Revenge of the of the Shredder or Return Return and revengeat of the Shredder. But if you like that original game, you'll have a blast with this because it really much is that?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to check it out for sure, And I said, maybe you could get it from me.
Speaker 1: What's the name of it again?
Speaker 6: You know, at that time of the year, people had given gifts Ninja Turtles Revenge of the of the Shredder. It's a downloadable game.
Speaker 1: You buy for some.
Speaker 5: That For myself, it's easy. You know.
Speaker 4: We did an episode last year about the Ninja Turtles and we talked about this thing that that no one really remembers, and I feel like I want to throw it out there to see if you remember it. Ye, Hostess made these Ninja Turtle custard pies. Yes you remember those? I absolutely do, Okay, absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: Jonah was really into those.
Speaker 6: Like I love them because I think they were they were apple, but they had like green on the inside.
Speaker 5: It was supposed to be like the slime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jonah, is this so nice for you? Because I feel like our guest when you brought this up, did not remember them.
Speaker 4: There's not even a lot on the internet about these, Like they're kind of kind of an obscure eighties kind of Hostess promo thing.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they were bigger in the Midwest, maybe because we're from.
Speaker 6: Oh maybe maybe because like, yeah, I feel like those like factory made snacks really really.
Speaker 5: Took hold in the Midwest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember we had them at school. You had like a little snack bar and you could buy them at school. And I remember like when they had the custard Ninja Turtle ones, like the fluorescent ones.
Speaker 3: That was that was all about this.
Speaker 6: Yep, I love them because there's the thing like, for me, if you put ninja trolls on anything like that, branding and marketing worked hook line and syncround me. I was like, I got you, because the guys eat this right right right, So like.
Speaker 1: The guys meaning the turtles, meaning.
Speaker 5: The Ninja Turtles. Yes, the four Brothers.
Speaker 2: So you thought any food that was branded like Ninja Turtles was stuff that they actually ate. Yeah, And I was like, I mean that's funny, kid would yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: I was like, I eat their cereal. I gotta eat the host's pies I'm talking about. I was all about Pizza Hut pizza because like it was, it was at the beginning of the first like VHS tape, it was commercial for Pizza Hut. I was like, well, I gotta eat Pizza Hut while I watching Turtles, and like in Detroit, Pizza Hut wouldn't deliver to my house. It was only Dominoes, So like I had get Dominoes and like kind of a grudgingly eat it.
Speaker 5: But I was like, ah, I'm meaning this, and watching the Turtles, you.
Speaker 1: Thought, sorry, I feel like I'm I'm like kind of like trolling you.
Speaker 6: But you're a seven year old child.
Speaker 1: Because there was a pizza commercial.
Speaker 2: Before the show, well because they were eating pizza, so you're like, oh, it must be this pizza.
Speaker 5: And it was on the VHS tape like before, so like.
Speaker 2: It was all like not the tape that you recorded it on, but like the VHS tape that you bought.
Speaker 5: The one soul.
Speaker 3: Okay, that logic.
Speaker 2: Makes sense to me, by the way, I'm so sorry I'm questioning your seven year old logic.
Speaker 1: Now, just to go back really quickly, you were.
Speaker 2: Saying I was asking you about like what you think you loved about these shows so much, and you were saying you took martial arts because of them, but I'm just curious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, it's like very active and like it was like a very clear sense of like justice and like right and wrong and like physically like implementing justice.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: So as a kid, I felt it was very appealing, especially very appealing to me. It was like, oh, these are like these warriors of right, like this ancient justice, Like there's a very clear form of evil and like you know that the evil is very obvious, and then like these people are immitting these these powers from elsewhere that they were used because like it's the same reason why I like, I liked Superman as a kid. It was like, you know, there was nothing that could happen that wasn't solvable by him.
Speaker 5: You know, yes, yeah, it's like and.
Speaker 6: I love Batman, but Batman was very reactionary, like something would happen and then he'd go and he'd like figure out and beat a person who did it.
Speaker 5: But Superman stopped happening, you know, right.
Speaker 6: All these shows, it's like something was happening and they did go and they go and they stopped the end of time, you know what I mean, before it became a problem, or it was in the middle of becoming a problem, they'd stop it, you know what I mean. So it was like very active and not reactive that appealed to me as a kid at least, but even still like that's what for the cartoons, you know, I mean that was the thing. And like for he Man also, like there's this duality for like he Man was great because he was like this this wimpy thing. Then he became the most powerful man in the universe when he like held his sword up and then said I have the power, right, and like it was just like things are like very powerful and very strong, you know, Yeah, with a little kid, you're like and I was like a very wimpy, little skinny, little little kid, so like the idea of like being ultimately powerful totally, even as a little boy, I was like, I demand power and I got that.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, that's so great.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, like with Power Rangers, I didn't realize that like in their off time they're like cool teams and there's probably also something really cool about them having all this power, but also on their time off. That's kind of how I always felt when I would watch Roundhouse on Nickelodeon, do you remember, Because it would be like they'd be doing sketch comedy and playing all these like wacky characters and then at the end, they just like be wearing knee pads and roller blades.
Speaker 1: And just kind of like hanging out. And I was like, I bet they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna go like they're gonna go like eat pizza and like have the best time because they're such cool teens.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, they're the coolest teens. Tommy and Jason are like doing martial arts in the youth center. You know, you know, Zach is also doing it, but he's also doing hip hop keto, and Treeny's doing taichi and Billy's like inventing something and Kimberly is doing gymnastics. Like that was like and You're like, oh, that seems the best place to hang out. And I want to be one of them and among them. And they're at the Juice Bar hanging out with Ernie so cool. Bulkan Skull or like trying to pick on them, but I don't know why bolkan Skull picked. They were trying and pick on Billy and like and I would work, but I'm like, Billy, you are a superhero.
Speaker 5: But that's the fun part.
Speaker 6: Because like he's he's like a nerd and getting beat up then like he can transform and then turn into the Blue Ranger and like Fight the World's Greatest Threats.
Speaker 1: The Duality, The Duality.
Speaker 4: Do you ever watch because it seems like they remake a lot of these cartoons now, like Memo Befo, We're watching an old cartoon and then or it's like there's like a new version like Strawberry Shortcake or Muppet Babies, where like everything's like kind of this weird like three D CG like CGI, and it's like to me, I'm like me and my wife were just saying that the old cartoons are so much better, right, there's so.
Speaker 6: Much I like I go back because you sometimes you feel like, oh, I'm just being an old man and like, oh, well back in my day things were but you know, you watch and you're like, no, this was it was truly better. I mean some of the things are and stuff like like he Man like as an animated show, truly not incredible because you can see like they were like saving money they because they would like reuse a lot of cells and stuff like that. But but even still like even the world they built was very cool and it advanced, like because they mixed like Viking culture with like technology and like with sort of like these like eroticism truly, like they're all wearing like tights but also like armor and like these huge belts and like fur, and they'd be like you know, or not even tights but just like thongs and then like bear legs and big boots with fur on the boots, and you're like, that's sexy. You know, they did it, and they did that for us, thank you.
Speaker 2: On one of our episodes, we played the new Muppet Baby's song and like, you know, the old ones like so iconic, and then the new ones like this woman being like moping, no my gad Jan's gun ja Like it's so like, no, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I'm remembering it.
Speaker 3: Jonah, You're right, that's very accurate.
Speaker 4: It was like this classic kind of do woppy thing, and then they remade it into this weird pop b No.
Speaker 5: Was like mop baby Babies.
Speaker 6: Like I was like, it was, yeah, it's like doop, but that wasn't like what was the modern music at that time, because that came out in the eighties, so it wasn't like of the time.
Speaker 5: So they make that poppy, you have to make that. They gotta make a disco song.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I mean, if you're gonna do the New Muppets babies.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like they were not keeping rhythm. They're motivating thing whatever. I can't remember that motivating element. Yes, motivating, we'll call back.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it seems like trilling, you know.
Speaker 6: If I'm gonna just sidesep for one second. That were a backstep. So I got so into Power Rangers. Me and my friend Lamar, we would like make our own Power Rangers show because we'd been through it, and we watched the Power Rangers in a well passed when we should have been watching it, you know what I mean, well to the point when we were like, oh no, we if we were going to become Power Rangers in real life, it would have happened now because we're at the actual age.
Speaker 5: I just hold on.
Speaker 6: We had the power morphers like the toys, and we always keep them on ourselves. And the idea was like, here's the thinking. If for some reason in the universe it becomes real and a monster attacks by transitive property, our MorphOS should work and then we will also become Power Rangers. Like, so just have it on you just in case, because you don't want to be without it, and then if it works and only one of us has it and it works, you'll be so mad.
Speaker 5: So have it and be ready. We're so obsessed with it.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel like it was starting to work and you were like, wait a second, like, oh.
Speaker 5: I think it's just let me be the one.
Speaker 6: No, not, damn it, it's more for a time close. That's closest been yet. That's the closest it's been. I think, like my shoes start to change, but I wasn't looking down at them, so I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay. So got close, got pretty close.
Speaker 6: But then I got so into it that I discovered. The Power Rangers came from this Japanese thing called Senai. These were Japanese action shows that for the America. What they did was they took the action parts of it, cut it, and then put American actors in the off costume parts.
Speaker 5: So they made Power Ranges for very cheap. In Japan. These were like huge budgeted, like big shows.
Speaker 6: With like explosions and like all the fight scenes would be like humans and then people in costumes. It was like very big, it was like, but then the heim Saban took that and then made it Power Rangers, and so they like tremendously underpaid everybody, and like it was very cheap. I found out about it, so I got my hands on the tapes I had. I had my dad order the VHS tapes with Japanese with English subtitles, so subbed being obsessed. I watched this it's called Zou Ranger, and I knew everything about it, so I've got so deep into and then like I would like know all the theme songs to the Sentai shows, so like Zoo Ranger.
Speaker 5: And and Wow and like Go.
Speaker 6: Go five and Dire Ranger and all these things, because I was like obsessed, and like even still I'm like, I just like know them like starts to try and learn Japanese to like know how to watch these shows better and then get into anime and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Anyway, that's the obsession. I was obsessed.
Speaker 2: Oh, if anyone could have more into a Power Ranger in real time, it would have been you and your friend.
Speaker 5: I still think I will be able to do.
Speaker 1: You still carry that thing?
Speaker 6: I usually had it like right there. I wish I might have put it away because if somebody was coming over to the house and I was like embarrassed about it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, what if a force of evil is trying to sabotage you and hit it, I mean, probably pretty important to locate that thing where it gets into the wrong hands.
Speaker 6: So as an adult, I then got this limited edition Green Ranger Dragon Dagger. So I have this thing, and it's a gold plated and it's like an adult version of the toy prop WHOA, I'm the Green Ranger who was like the ultimate cool power Ranger who came in later into the season and like was like was rocking everybody's socks off, and then had the dragons Or was introduced like a new thing.
Speaker 5: So I use this to call his dragon Zord.
Speaker 3: How does this work like a flute?
Speaker 6: And like when you do that, he would like play this like dagger as like a flute and they would call the dragon Zord and then the dragons Or would come and it was like this big giant robot dragon that would fight alongside the Megasoord and then there's a big deal when they both transformed into one, they became a dragon Megazord. But I had this toy and then so I got this thing as an adult, I keep on saying as an adult, and I mean it because I am as an adult. I am an adult, I swear, But like you know, I still have like all this Memorabilian stuff because Bandai, who makes a toy is they know that, like my generation grew up watching stuff so that now they're like and they called the Legacy line, like and here's a legacy Morphers. Yeah, So I'm like, yeah, of course I'm gonna buy it. Of course I am. There's no way. So I do have the Legacy morph like the new one. And I sent my friend Lamar who lives in England. Now I was the bloways a Blue Ranger. He was always a Black Ranger, so I sent him the Black Rangers like Morphers be like, hey, I remember this and our power coins. So we're still and we're still already so excited when he was so excited because I mean it was our life, you know what I mean, Like we were upsetsed because we would go, especially in the summertime. We would go like one week at his house when we can at my house, back and forth all summer. You know, I'm talking about like watching Power Rangers or watching you know, anime, watching like whatever and then like coming up with our own like Power Ranger shows and all that. So it was such an important part of our lives that extending him this thing was like, oh, it's just like a crystallization of what our childhood was. And then that's on a sad note, the guy who played the Green Ranger, Jason David Frank, just passed maybe a few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like because he took his own life, and it was really the saddest thing because like it was such an important part of me growing up. I like remember like the first time he came up on there. This was just maybe a few weeks ago. And so like me and my my friend Lamar hadn't talked in like a while, not not not for any reason, but he lives in England and some time difference is hard, you know, so like just to like keep up is like a hard thing. But like we talked to each other and it was like a really nice thing to kind of like talk and remember and reminisce on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it was nice in the in the in the face of like that really sad thing. I mean, I'll just I'll just wait, I just hold on to the little more for you know, and if the time comes, I'll be ready.
Speaker 2: All right, Well we're going to take a quick commercial break, but we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: So the sandwich is said, okay, and we're back.
Speaker 2: So Sam, now we want to play a little game with you that is called legit moan or unnecessary grown.
Speaker 3: Legit moan necessary grown.
Speaker 2: And basically this is inspired by a now defunct column in our local paper growing up called the Cleveland Plain Dealer. And there was this section called Monday Moaning that we used to read where every Monday the paper would print extremely petty complaints that their readers would submit. We used to find them very funny as kids, and we find them even funnier today as a So we picked a few for you and we will decide whether we will individually decide whether we think they're legit moans or unnecessary groans. And again, these are all at least ten years old, Okay, but let's get to it.
Speaker 4: Oah, So I found these this morning. First one is from Parma, Ohio. It's a short one. My moan is about people cutting grass. I don't know who's lazier, people who have their grass cut or people cutting the grass with equipment worth ten thousand dollars for a postage stamp sized a lot. So this person is upset saying people are lazy if they hire someone to cut their yard, but also saying people are lazy if they buy a lot of equipment to cut a small yard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I don't know what you want from these people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess they think people should use like more equipment that's cut it themselves, but use more pared down equipment.
Speaker 3: If they have a smaller yard. I think that's what they're saying.
Speaker 5: I think, Yeah, I think. But like even the complaint is like confusing. It is because like you can't be at it both.
Speaker 6: If you don't want me used proper equipment, let them, then you get somebody professionally.
Speaker 5: To come do that lawn for them.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 6: Also, you're trying to have garden workers and like lawn care professionals unemployed out there right, No, I'm unnecessary.
Speaker 1: What do you think I'm saying the same thing.
Speaker 2: If you want people to cut their lawns, you don't get to pick their lawnmower, get a grip.
Speaker 3: I cut my lawn, okay, and I have a pretty modest lawnmower. It's electric. It's not a big deal. You would love you.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so I think I fit in that category of having a pretty small setup for my yard. But I also would think if I got a nicer lawnmower or hire someone to do it, that would be cool. I wouldn't say, like, that makes me lazy. So I think this is a really misguided moan.
Speaker 3: I agree. So I'm going to stay unnecessary grown as well.
Speaker 5: This person has a lot of spare time, and so they're.
Speaker 6: Watching somebody how the lawnmowing goes, and they're like, ah, you should do what I do for my line, and then all you your gear is too small or too big.
Speaker 5: There shouldn't be that. No.
Speaker 4: I picture this person on their front porch. The person next to them has landscapers. He's like, they're lazy. The person to ride them has like a riding lawnmower, is like, oh, they're lazy and want something else to worry about.
Speaker 1: Find something else exactly that.
Speaker 6: They're out there like cutting each blade individual with scissors. See that's you know, the exact height.
Speaker 3: Get real, all right?
Speaker 4: Soving on that one, Vanessa, do you want to read that this next one? Is a little bit Halloween theme, but I think it's still, you know, just relevant.
Speaker 2: I think it's yeah, yeah, to the gentleman who is surprised when trigger treaders discarded his wife's homemade brownies, certainly tossing them as garbage into your yard was pretty rude, but are you really surprised they weren't eaten. It's a shame that your wife's thoughtful efforts went to waste in this age of demented people trying to harm children by poisoning them or putting pins into their candy. I wouldn't allow my daughter to eat homemade brownies unless they were from somebody knew well enough to be certain she wouldn't come to harm by eating them.
Speaker 1: Stick to store about candy.
Speaker 2: It's much less work for everybody involved, and you can be certain it won't go to waste.
Speaker 1: That's from a dinah Ohio.
Speaker 6: I think legitim mo. And they even call out the fact that, yes, it's rude to throw it in the front lawn, but you shouldn't be given out like to strangers baked goods because also who knows allergies?
Speaker 5: We don't know what you're doing with you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, just don't you know what ma'am. First of all, yeah, just buy some candy. Also, get in or get.
Speaker 5: Out, in or get out, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Jonah and I have talked about, you know, there are worse things to be given, including pennies and apples, which we've gotten none, yes Halloween and those are But yeah, I think this person has a very it's a Legiti moan.
Speaker 1: I think this is a good point.
Speaker 2: Like you just in this day and age, you can't be making your homemade brownies. Yeah, there's Yeah, aside from just even if we trust this woman, we don't know her well enough to have a list of ingredients.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, or even if they're posted, like can we really true? Like who's the overseeing I that's like making sure she's using these ingredients?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, what's the standard here?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: I bet it goes back in this thing.
Speaker 6: Like I'm sure her husband or whatever her neighbor was like it's lazy to buy candy.
Speaker 5: You gotta make it yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just let's get over this lazy and let's let's use the things that we can.
Speaker 5: Buy to make all of our lives easy. Yes, that is capitalism.
Speaker 3: Capitalism support it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean I think the tone of the letter is harsh to the gentleman, like in this age of demented people, Like it's like very kind of traumatic.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 2: Also it feels a little bit like how did this guy find this out? Like did this other guy that confide in it, or like did this other guy tell him? And instead of him being like, I think it's okay, like she should like be just buying candy, he decided to just go straight to Monday Morning with that opinion.
Speaker 4: Right right, Sorry to I interrupted you, It's okay. I was just actually just watching Freaks and Geeks and there's an episode of the mom like baked stuff and none of the kids will eat it, and you know, it's kind of sad for her. And I do think like there can be a nice sentiment of like wanting to make something and do something special. But yeah, it just feels like that time has just kind of passed and we need to kind of accept it. And a lot of these Monday Moons are people who are very stuck in the past. It's just not the way things are now. Just buy some candy, it's just easier. Just make your life easier. You know, you don't need to cut every blade of grass, you don't need to bake brownies.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, you're grouping these people together. Why am I being such an asshole today? I'm like I'm making all these like observations that are so like, okay.
Speaker 3: So what do we think that we think this is a legit moon? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I think it's okay.
Speaker 5: The messaging is harsh, but the message is salient.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, exactly, fair, very well put this.
Speaker 4: Is the last one. This in short, but sweet Lynnhurst, Ohio. I wish neighbors on either side of me would tend to their own business and not mine. I mean, what do you think, Sam, I feel like we're missing a little bit of context.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly, I think so too.
Speaker 6: Then you're like, it's on either side of you that's a problem. I was maybe on either side of me and the police and the chop protective services would just get off my back.
Speaker 5: I think you're not giving us the whole picture here, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, yeah, tough one to judge.
Speaker 4: And also, yeah, it's interesting to write this into a local paper and not provide it.
Speaker 2: That was my first thought was, like, yes, do you have a friend or is there Yeah, I think if I can take a leap here.
Speaker 4: The logic is maybe my neighbors will see this and they will know it's me, and it's like a subtle message.
Speaker 2: My only thing about that is almost everybody in Lyndhurst, Ohio has neighbors on either side of them. Okay, yeah, you know, unless you live on you know, the first house on the street or something like that. So and even in that case, you might be on a corner where there are people on either side. So the point is, I'm not going to get into the way the city is divided, but I just want to say, yeah, it is really unless this person is always telling their neighbors how much they love Monday Moaning and love to write into it, right, or if they purposely plan to write this and then say, did you see Monday Moaning today one of my complaints got posted.
Speaker 3: It could be it could be a little too subtle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or like in my head.
Speaker 6: They try to do that, and then they got a little nervous about it, so they wrote in like some details and like that's too obvious, and describe the thing out line by line until that was all.
Speaker 5: That was left.
Speaker 2: They kept cutting out the details until there was literally just my neighbors with mind their own.
Speaker 6: Business, so many ex's on that paper, just lines crossed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one is truly a hard one to judge. But just based on this person's coping mechanisms with when they're faced with neighbors they're not crazy about, I feel like it's hard for me to support it because, yeah, unless you know, sometimes we've once found like a continuation of like someone responded to someone else's.
Speaker 3: Oh really Monday moaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like I wonder if this person would respond to their own moaning like the next week and say, like, just to be a little more specific, this is who I am, and these are the specific things that happened, and.
Speaker 1: Like you know who you are neighbors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's something that I made up that it probably didn't happen. So in that case, yeah, I'm gonna call this an unnecessary groan just because it's it's too general.
Speaker 3: I agree, Sam, what do we think.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say unecessary groan because it truly, quite literally you're groaning, but there's no details. Unnecessary, you haven't said anything, so it's unnecessary.
Speaker 4: I'm going to agree with both of you. And I think by calling this legitimate, you're really rewarding this like the most like passive aggressive way to the problems. And I just cannot, I can't put my stamp on that. I'm saying, un this, they're grown all the way on this one.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 6: And if this was a herald, each of those scenes, the semlets would have been about all three of the houses. And then so the one in the center it has the lawn that's not taken care of, or it has a lawn that a complicated, a lawnmower, and then big brownies, and the one on one side is complaining about the lawnmower, and one the other side is complaining about the brownies.
Speaker 5: And then that's how it all comes together. The last act.
Speaker 6: All it makes one big scene where you've seen all the little things and they all come together that last one complain about it, and this is the letter. The person's like, get off my back seeing, Oh my god, incredible.
Speaker 2: And then at the end they go, thank you so much for coming tonight. Be sure to tip your bartenders. They're going to use that money to pay for dumb things.
Speaker 5: Like rent and insolin.
Speaker 2: They use it room stuff like college dues and those dude's rent support inlent insolent. So okay, So Sam, what a delight this has been?
Speaker 3: And where can people find you?
Speaker 6: You can find me on the IG. I'm on the IG, you know, the Sam Richardson. I don't really use Twitter because I don't like to type things.
Speaker 5: You can find me on Twitter, I guess. And just like you know, the after Party, you seem an after party.
Speaker 3: After party, yes, and just other various shows.
Speaker 5: Go back watch Detroiters, watch Champagnel.
Speaker 2: Oh, Champagne Ill. Yes, I didn't mention that's so funny. And and Detroiter is just if people haven't seen it, it's absolutely a hilarious work of art.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, okay, is that okay with you?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 5: Okay with you all? You know?
Speaker 1: Are you all cool with that?
Speaker 5: I hope that's fine with you? And I hope you're all right with it. I'll say, Also, go see Office Christmas Party if you've got it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god, the time they spent in Atlanta doing Office Christmas Party together.
Speaker 1: Who could ever forget?
Speaker 3: Who could ever forget?
Speaker 5: Get?
Speaker 2: The Times Confederate Cemetery across from our hotel and being like, look, we probably shouldn't be here.
Speaker 6: You know, there was like a cannon, a Confederate cannon that was pointed directly at the elevators. When you get off the elevator, you're faced by a cannon that was used to kill.
Speaker 5: I'd say, hundreds of soldiers.
Speaker 2: Very spooky, scary for us.
Speaker 5: And they would do like demonstrations and stuff and like have reenactments.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they would do demonstrations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was like a big Confederate funeral reenactment or something.
Speaker 3: One day, and yeah, I thought we'll steer clear of that wild Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the memories.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much Sam for joining us today.
Speaker 3: That was so much.
Speaker 5: It has been the best. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It has been so much fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this has been incredible, and we wanted to say thank you that everyone is listening and say if you enjoyed that, please subscribe to them podcast and keep an eye up for next week's episode.
Speaker 1: Of How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 2: We'll discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like action packed. Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing. This put me in a real silly mood. Action packed television shows that's what I meant to say.