Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the brand new car hidden behind Puzzle Door number three. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and today we are lucky to have Vanessa and Jonah Mayer, multi talented siblings. Jonah is a music writer, musician, and much more. Vanessa is a writer actor, former cast member of Saturday Night Live. Together, they host the lovely podcast How Did We Get Weird, where they reminisce with a guest about wonderful things from our childhood or not so wonderful, sometimes creepy, sometimes weird, always weird. First Welcome, Welcome Vanessa and Jonah.
Speaker 2: Thank you having us.
Speaker 1: We have loved having you as our guests, and you both have so many projects that are so interesting. One of my favorites is I Love That for You, which you can stream on any number of services. It was created by and starred Vanessa as an aspiring host for the Shopping Channel or ESPN, who lies that her childhood cancer has returned in order to keep her job. So delightfully weird, very funny, very touching. This puzzle is very loosely based on the title of that show. So yes, it is I perhaps your first. I Love that for you based puzzle. I think it is good. I'm glad no one scooped us. So in this puzzle, all the clues will lead to a phrase I love that for you blank. So it sounds a little tricky, but all of the answers will have I love that for you something. So if the clue, for instance, is tinted glasses for Bono and a new guitar for the Edge, the answer would be I love that for you too. I love that for you too. So everything has to sound you and these are gifts that you think that you thing will love. Great. All right. So there's the premise, and here's the puzzle itself. Coupons for flying saucer washes, for flying saucer car washes. That might be I love that for if this were a gift for something that a flying saucer might.
Speaker 3: Need, I I love that for u.
Speaker 1: F O's that's it. That's it. Set. You can say it with confidence. Okay, you got it right. Yes, And by the way, Greg Pliska, the chief puzzle officer, wrote this, all right, okay, so how about what about if the gift were or the product being sold were an emery board designed to keep the horn on your head, nice and sharp, the horn on your only one horn on your head. I love that.
Speaker 3: For got it, Jonah, Do you want me to beat you to it?
Speaker 1: Or unicorns? You nic corns? Exactly? There you go? All right? What about a trophy stand for the Best Actor Emmy for this man who starred in Shit's Creek? I love that.
Speaker 2: For Eugene Levy.
Speaker 1: That's it. Eugene Levy is a little tricky because it's not spelled you, But yes, exactly, have about a one billion dollar alumni donation. What that? I love that for? Yes exactly. You always say it with with such trepidation, and you're always right, all right, Well, this one's a little trick here, a little tricker. But matching socks with scylla and charryptis on the matching socks with scylla and chryptis a little high brow. But I love that for I believe it was. It was the whirlpool and the rock that this ancient character had to navigate through. And it's not I always think of the Greek name, which is Odysseus. But I love that, exactly. I love that for Ulysses Joy. I was going to say, I was going to say Unique, Well, you might buy you might buy Ulysses socks at Unique Club. Exactly, that's right. Well, thank you you both did great. Don't that's you a question?
Speaker 2: And this is your podcast. I was such a big fan of your book, no at all, and I know it's like twenty years old. I'm wondering how much that book comes up with your puzzle knowledge, like the stuff. Do you retain any of that from back then or not really or what's that like for you?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for asking. Yeah, they I would say I've And for those who don't know, I that was a book where I read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and tried to learn everything in the world, and I have forgotten. I don't know the exact percentage, but I would say somewhere in the ninety nine point nine percent, which sounds terrible, but actually zero point one percent of the encyclopedia. I still there's still a lot of facts floating in my brain. The sad part is they're not the facts I want, Like, they're not the wiz that they're things like a possums have thirteen nipples or Renee Descartes, the philosopher had a fetish for women with crossed eyes like these are the things that cling to my neurons, and I wish it were not, but I would say, yeah, that's a great question about puzzling. I'm trying to think of an example and it's not coming to mind. But I do think I've incorporated weird trivia into the puzzles. And I had forgotten how to spell scylla and charybdis. So I'm lucky that Greg wrote this puzzle and not me, But thank you for asking. Thank you, of course. Well where can people find more Vanessa and Jonah content?
Speaker 3: Well you can find me and Jonah on our podcast How did We Get Weird, which you can find wherever you get your podcasts, and we talk about nostalgic stuff with some really great guests like Andy Samberg, God who else, Bridget Everett, We've had it on there, Yes.
Speaker 2: Bill Hayter, a lot of musicians too, you know, I'm a music journalist, so Jason, Isabel Craig, Finn, Laura, Jane Grace, a lot of great ones.
Speaker 3: Well, you can find a lot of great guests and a lot of great nostalgic talk on our podcast. And again it's how did we get We're doing whereever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts, any platform. It is a lovely show and it is nostalgic but also relevant, and I love the tangents and great guests. Thank you for coming on our show. And as always, I have a puzzle for the puzzlers at home, a little extra credit. What is picks? That's pic ks, not pics. Picks with pictures of tiny Tim on them. Picks with pictures of tiny Tim on them. I love that for you blank, what might that be? Please tune in next time to get the answer, and don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and we'll meet you here next time for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly. Hello, puzzlers, it's Greg Blisker here with the answer to last episode's extra credit. We played a game with Vanessa and Jonah Bayer in which each answer is the name of an SNL cast member and a word that rhymes with their name. Your clue was Leslie's Doppelgangers and the answer is Jon's clones. I bet you all got that one, and I'm hoping you'll be back to join us next time.