Speaker 1: Welcome to the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast, a weekly conversation about mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible versions of ourselves. I'm your host, doctor joy hard and Bradford, a licensed psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information or to find a therapist in your area, visit our website at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com. While I hope you love listening to and learning from the podcast, it is not meant to be a substitute for a relationship with a licensed mental health professional.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, thanks.
Speaker 1: So much for joining me for session three fifty six of the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast. We'll get right into our conversation after a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm doctor uj Blackstock and I'm on the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast. I'm in session today unpacking the historical relationship between black people and hospitals.
Speaker 1: It's no secret that the relationship between black people and the healthcare system is a fraught one, and as medical racism continues to go unaddressed, we're seeing more and more negative health outcomes for black patients, including the perpetuation of harmful conspiracy theories, and hesitance to seek medical help when in need. Joining me today to talk about the history and statistics behind some of these outcomes is health advocate and New York Times bestselling author doctor U. J.
Speaker 2: Blackstock.
Speaker 1: Doctor Blackstock is the founder and CEO of Advancing Health Equity, an organization created with the mission of partnering with healthcare organizations to dismantle racism and healthcare and to close the gap and racial health inequities. During our conversation, we discuss some of the most prevalent examples of hospital neglect experienced by black patients, how healthcare systems can better engage with black communities in order to engender trust, and how black medical students can find support while studying to become physicians. If something resonates with you while enjoying our conversation, please share with us on social media using the hashtag TPG in session or join us over in the Sister Circle To talk more about the episode. You can join us at community dot therapy for Blackgirls dot Com. Here's our conversation. Well, thank you so much for joining me today, Doctor blacksc Thank you.
Speaker 2: For having me. I'm so excited to talk to you. He is a pleasure to see you again.
Speaker 3: You too, it's been a little while.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it's essence best, right, we're rolling up on Essence time again this year.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you are a highly accomplished author, New York Times bestselling author, a physician, and a health equity advocate. But I want you to take us back to your time at Harvard as a medical student. Can you talk a little bit about what that experience was like in a field that is predominantly not made up of us.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I should also reflect on how I grew up. I grew up thinking that most physicians were black because my mother was a physician, my pediatrician was a black woman. All of the physicians I was surrounded by growing up were black, and a lot of them were black women. So it really wasn't until I got older and to medical school that I realized how few of us there were and that environment. I would say it was striking in a way for me because our numbers were so small. But with in my class there were a decent number of black students. But when I think back on my experience during medical school, there was so much that we didn't learn about, right, like We never talked about racial health inequities. There is this Western biomedical model of how medicine is taught that it's all about the physician and the patient without really recognizing all of the systemic factors that impact health. And that was something that I did not learn in medical school that I had to learn during my residency in emergency medicine when I was working at a public hospital in Brooklyn, and afterwards as a practicing physician. So there was so much that I didn't learn. There were so many things that were implicitly taught about differences between black patients and other patients, like that there were differences in kidney function right between their normal values for black patients and normal values for non black patients, but we were never really told why got it?
Speaker 2: Imagine that as you continued in your career.
Speaker 1: I know you started out in academic medicine, right, and so was a part of you wanting to go into practicing medicine in that way spurred by learning.
Speaker 2: All these things that you wanted to then make right for students.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think a lot of it was having a mother who was a physician, seeing all the work she was doing in our community with other black physicians and seeing her. I read about this in my book about seeing her, how she interacted with her patients, really understanding the full context social political in which they were living, and understanding that when her patients saw her wasn't just about what was happening in that room, in that exam room, that it was really more about what was happening in their lives and their communities at work, that all of that impacts health. So when I went to medical school and after medical school, I always knew that I wanted to work in service to our community. And that's when I became really aware of the racial health inequities that we have in our community as relates to Black maternal mortality, life expectancy, how we're more often to carry the burden of chronic disease. And what I recognized also was that this was very little about the individual choices that we were making as black people, and more so had to do with the fact that there are systems and practices and policies in place related to racism that impact our health and getting really clear about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So talk to us a little bit more about legacy. So Legacy is your book. Legacy a black physician reckons with racism in medicine. So you shared a little bit about the fact that you wrote about your mom and her journey as a physician. But what else might we be able to expect as a part of legacy.
Speaker 3: Well, legacy it has a double meaning, right, so as you allude to about being a second generation black woman physician, which is something that unfortunately today in twenty twenty four, is still so rare, Like the fact that my twin sister Onie and I and our mom were the first black mother Daughter legacy graduates from Harvard Medical School, and that was two thousand and five when Oni and I graduate waited. Since then, there's only been one other Black mother Daughter Legacy graduate, So that speaks to the work that these institutions have to do, like that is not acceptable, right. Also, just celebrating the journey and the work that my mother did in her short life. She died at forty seven from acute milogenous leukemia, and there was so much more that she could have done because she was doing health equity work at a time when we weren't even using that expression, right, she was doing work on behalf of the community, organizing community health fairs and working with her colleagues to make things better for residents and neighbors. But the other legacy piece is this history of medical racism. That the reason why in twenty twenty four that we're seeing these health and equities, especially in black communities, and the reason why they actually are worstening, is because of a deeply rooted history of racism, not only in medicine, but in all other aspects of society that negatively impact Black health. So I wanted to be able to use this book to help connect the dots for a broad audience, not just people even in medicine, not it's just people in healthcare, but for the general public to understand the history, to understand the current day, and to understand why we're seeing these appalling statistics, and then ending the book with a call to action for different groups about how you can make a difference. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I want to spend some times a day, doctor Black sat talking more about hospital neglect.
Speaker 2: And I wondered if you could talk.
Speaker 1: With us about some of the most prevalent examples of hospital neglect you have seen for Black patients.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there's so many in so many different ways. I think one of the main areas is how when black patients go to seek care, often our concerns are dismiss minimized, and ignored. Happens more often for black women, and we're seeing that contributes to some of the poor outcomes, especially for black birthing people, that when they are presenting with saying I'm having bleeding or I'm not feeling like myself or I'm having swelling in my legs, health professionals are not listening to them. Another area is around pain and how pain is treated and not treated, how it's undertreated specifically. But we know and we have studies that show that even in twenty sixteen, there was a study of medical students and residents that showed that some of them believed in these false myths about differences between black patients and other patients that we had thicker skin were less sensitive to pain, and because of that, this study actually showed that it was a mock case between a black patient and a white patient, but showed that those students and residents were less likely to treat the black patient's pain than the white patient's pain, even though everything was similar except the race of the patients. What we have in our healthcare system, our health professionals who they think that they are providing equitable care, They think that they're doing their best, but the fact is that they are just like every other American. They're absorbing all this cultural messaging that's anti black, anti black women, that actually impacts how they make decisions about care.
Speaker 1: So I want to doctor black Clack, if you can talk a little bit about what is the treatment for this?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Can you talk a little bit about medical school curriculum and what kinds of things is the field aware of this outside of you and the other physicians who are preaching on the hiel about this, Is the field aware of this and what kinds of things are being done to combat some of these misconceptions?
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, they are very much aware of this. Are they doing the work that needs to be done, the deep work. That's one of the reasons why I wrote Legacy, because I don't think they are doing enough. Some of these issues are just so deeply rooted in our medical education system, like there's just been a gap in what we've been learning. But I also want to say that a lot of this has to stick or even before medical school, because we can't have pre med students coming into medical school already holding these biases in their heads. Right. So that's why it's so important, even starting as early as possible in our educational system, that we are making future health professionals aware of what the history is, aware of what the current day situation is for black patients that are interfacing with the healthcare system. So yes, medical schools need to do their part, and what the part is making sure they're teaching about one, medical racism, the history of it, but also teaching about what are the experiences of black patients today in twenty twenty four when they seek health care right, and what is the responsibility and the obligation of health professionals when they're caring for black patients, And that one it's so simple as to say, like, truly listen to them, truly listen to us, and understand that we are also human, we also feel pain, we also suffer right, but also understanding the context in which we live in this country, that there's so many things that actually the outside of healthcare, in terms of education, housing, employment, that also impact our health. So I think that medical schools have an obligation to educate future physicians to understand the experiences of their black patients and to respond to those experiences and to care for us in a holistic way. And so medical schools have a lot of work to do because they're not doing their work, and a lot of it is because of the current political environment that we're in. We know that there's that act that was brought forth recently, a federal bill called the Educate Act that is to defund medical schools that have diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. And how could that be that in twenty twenty four, when we're seeing the actually worsening of racial health and equities, that these sort of legislative bills are brought forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it really all is just like a microcosm for everything we are seeing in every other area of our lives. Because you've already alluded to, and you wrote about in the book that less than two percent of physicians are actually black women, right, and so when you already talked about these institutions needing to do a better job of bringing in people, but also when the students are there, We've had conversations on the podcast about the treatment that sometimes happens when black women are in medical school and even the treatment of faculty, like how many faculty are pushed out or leave for their own sanity or health. Right, So it feels really difficult to figure out, like how you break into and make some differences in this kind of system when it does feel like the system is largely just miserable and built to work against us.
Speaker 3: Now absolutely, and I write in the book about my students that I work with and that A mentored, who had their own experiences where they were just in medical school to learn how to be a doctor, but instead they had to focus on these DII efforts because the school wasn't doing enough, and so when they should have been focusing on their work, they had to do all the heavy lifting, right, and then they have to deal with microaggressions and they have to deal with as we know, the data shows how black students are evaluated differently than other students. The words used to describe us in our evaluations are different.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's like you said, even once we get into these environments, right, getting into medical schools was just part of it. Then once you're in medical school, were often environments that are not supportive and hospitable to us. So it's again, at every step of the way, there are these barriers and challenges, right and even as a faculty, I write about how I was in academic medicine for ten years. I thought that was going to be my future. Got appointed to a DEI role in our Office of Diversity Affairs and really got to see what the institution was about, and they were not about supporting me. So I had to make very difficult decision. I call it a life saving decision actually because when I look back, I was very unhappy. But also I say I had forgotten I was someone that had gifts to share, because often when we black women are in these predominantly white environments, they undervalue us and underappreciate us so much that we lose sight of what we have to offer. So leaving that environment for me, even though I say, I was very very scared, because people don't leave academic medicine. It's very secure. I mean, I had multiple roles, multiple titles. People would have looked at me and thought I was happy, but I was actually miserable. And so like I say, I made that life saving decision because I was not thriving in that environment. When I look back at pictures that I took during that time, I'd lost a lot of weight. I wasn't sleeping at circles under my eyes. You know how you can look back at old pictures and be like, oh, that was not a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a lot of times as black women were forced into these situations where we have to make these tough decisions where like do we stay do we leave? I left financial security, but I also left an environment that was psychologically violent to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break, but first, a quick snippet of what's coming up next week on TVG.
Speaker 4: When you should on yourself, you literally put the shoulds on you and you are judging. So a should signals judgment the minute you use it in your vocabulary. I should mother this way. I should get married at twenty six because that's what women do. I should have a baby. I should pursue this career path because this is what I went to school for. And it doesn't matter if I really like art. I should be a lawyer because that's what I got my degree in.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if you can talk a little bit more about what kinds of things helped you to make that kind of decision. Because I would imagine many of the people who are listening to our conversation now may find themselves in a similar situation right and not sure, like how do I take this leap? Or I know this isn't healthy for me, but I'm not sure what to do. Can you share a little bit about your process?
Speaker 3: I mean, I always say I consulted with my village. I have a wonderful therapist that I've been working with for the last five years, and she has seen me through some very very difficult times. But just working with her, I feel like gave me permission to deviate off of that path that I thought I had to take. Especially in medicine, many of us are like, Okay, we're like checking off boxes. I talk about right pre med check, medical school, residency check, faculty position or job check right. And I realized I was just like going through the motions and not really thinking at each step. It's just really what you want to do, Chay. So working with my therapist, Shinikua. She doesn't mind me saying her name, but working with her really helped me through those very tough, tough moments. When I look back, I'm like, I don't even know how I got through it, but I know it was because of our bi weekly sessions where I was given permission to think bigger. I was reminded that I was someone that had gifts to share. And it's interesting when my book came out a few months ago, she sent me flowers and with a note and she said, I've always seen the magic in you, and so you just need those kind of people in your life. Of course, I have my twin sister, Onni, who was there every day supporting me. I would call her crying. And then my girlfriends. I talked to them. Many of them maybe they were not in the same position as I was, but they saw how upsetting it was for me and encouraged me and said, you don't need to have an institutional affiliation. You don't need all the things that you think you're supposed to have to feel important, like you are enough on your own. And that was definitely a process that I had to internalize that knowing that I did not need to be affiliated with NYU, I didn't need to be associate professor to know that I still can make an impact. And actually, what I recognized was listen. Once I left that environment that was so incredibly stifling to me. It was just abundance flowed opportunities that I never thought would open up for me, opened up, doors opened. So if you had told me five years ago I would be where I am today, I would have been like, really, no, I don't think so, but truly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 1: I appreciate hearing about that because I think, again, many people, when we're checking off these boxes, we're just following what we think we're supposed to do and don't ever really check in with ourselves about whether this is.
Speaker 2: Something that feels right for me.
Speaker 1: You've already shared so much about like all of the racism and all the other isms that impact the care that black people get as a part of the medical institution, And I think an unfortunate byproduct of that is that there is often a lot of conspiracy theory, a lot of misinformation and disinformation that continues to be perpetuated in the black community related to medicine. I mean we saw that of course most recently related to the vaccine, and just warranted concern about like whether this is something that is going to be good for us. So can you talk a little bit about like how that kind of system continues to perpetuate given what we know about medical institutions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because that misinformation or disinformation. I get it in a way because I talk about how healthcare institutions, all different societal institutions, have proven themselves untrustworthy to black people for a very long time. Right, So, like I think about, how can you expect us, when there is a pandemic out of the blue, to then be like, Okay, I'm gonna get vaccinated when we have this not only the history but the current da mious treatment of black people in healthcare settings. And so that's why I think is so important one that we have black health professionals who are out there speaking up using our platforms. And that's why for me it was so important. I never thought I would do like health communications or media work, but I saw that when the pandemic started, given all the misinformation that was out there, even from the presidential administration, I was like, Okay, we got to get out there. Black folks who are in health, we got to get out there to make sure that our communities have the information they need to make an informed decision. Like no one's trying to force anything on anyone I just want to make sure that we have the information to make an informed decision, and I think that is critical. The other thing I think is it's a reminder of when healthcare institutions don't center or have not centered Black communities, that you don't engender trust. Right. I talk about in the book how even my barber, I store my hair really short in my twenties. My barber and I still see him all the time in my neighborhood. We stop and talk. But he reached out to me about a year after the vaccine came out and said, I really want to talk to you because I don't have insurance, I don't have a primary care doctor. You're the only doctor I know, and you're the only.
Speaker 2: Doctor I trust.
Speaker 3: A year after and we talked like for an hour on the phone with his adult daughter, who also had not been vaccinated yet. He asked me the most thoughtful questions, and one thing he said to me is like, I know that there are other folks like doctor Anthony Fauci on television saying I should take this vaccine, but I don't trust him. I don't know who he is. He is, and I trust you. So that's why I think It is so, so so important that the investments in our community happen in terms of creating a strong relationship between the healthcare system and our community. It should be ongoing because we saw what happens when it's not ongoing, and that kind of environment allows that misinformation and disinformation to spread, where people tell me, oh, my hairdresser or my barber told me that the vaccine doesn't work, or just like inaccurate information, people were listening to people who were not even in healthcare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting information from all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of places I know, or like you know, social media or somewhat's app thread, and that is dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's dangerous. We also know that there's also a large focus I think again rightfully so on like more natural kinds of ways to take care of ourselves.
Speaker 2: Can you speak to how.
Speaker 1: We can kind of vet information about the people orn't necessarily wanting to sign up for like more traditional kinds of medicine. What kinds of things can we do to kind of vet sources into really integrate maybe more natural ways of healing into our practices. Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think that's such an important question because again, my training is from the western biomedical model, traditional right, and we know that there are other ways that people can care for themselves in a more holistic way. But yes, making sure the source of the information is important. So I always say, just to make sure that people are vetting the source, looking at the background of this person, What kind of experience, what kind of training.
Speaker 1: Do they have?
Speaker 3: Do other people who are responsible trusted messengers? Do they follow these people? Are they people who others can co sign on that what they're saying is accurate information? So it doesn't matter how many followers someone has, but maybe reading up on them, reading up on their background, I think could be helpful.
Speaker 1: Can you share some of your favorite websites or podcasts or other kinds of things where you send people for like trusted information.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I feel like I sent them to myself and I'm kidding. I'm kidding, but no, I feel like there are a lot of black health influencers in different specialties that I can co sign because I know them personally, like doctor Heather or Abunda who is an obstetric gynecologist, or doctor Camilla Phillips, who I've known since I was very very young person. I also think that we have to remember that groups like the National Medical Association, the largest and oldest organization of black physicians. They have a lot of great resources on their website. Health in her Hue also, which is a startup that was founded by doctor Ashley Wisdom, has a directory of health professionals that are trained to care for black women and women of color. But they also have a lot of educational content on their website people can use that it has been vetted thoroughly. And then for people who are interested in maternal health issues, there's an app called the Earth app Irt started by a black woman also that has a lot of information, really accurate information about the birthing process and also has a provider directory too.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing it.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break, doctor Blacksack, I wonder if you could say more about how our mistrust and distrust of medical institutions and hospitals really impacts health outcomes for black people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's like the other impact, right, So when we have a very high burden of unmet needs in our communities, because when people don't trust the healthcare system and they're not feeling well, they end up not pursuing care or not seeking care. So what happens is they're having symptoms, whether it's lightheadedness, chest pain, whatever it may be, it ends up progressing. So by the time they do seek treatment, they are sicker than they would have been. They may have more advanced cancer, they may have uncontrolled high blood pressure or diabetes that lead to more complications, harm, and even death. So that's why I think it's so important that the way that we frame this sort of mistrust and distrust for health care that is actually ends up being very, very harmful for us. But again, it's up to the institutions to center our communities, center our voices, our priorities and needs, and to do that in gendering the trust process that is so so important.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this a little bit, but I love to hear more of your thoughts. One of the I think most awful outcomes of everything that happened with the pandemic was a loss of trust for institutions that I think largely had been credible and specifically, I'm thinking about the Centers for Disease Control, right, like the CDC. I had always thought the CDC like, okay, this is like the goal star of information if anything, happens like they're going to have the right information, They're going to like steer us, right. But I think in the pandemic we largely saw and I think political reasons were behind this, but that we could not even trust I think some of the information coming from the CDC. So what is the work that institutions like the CDC need to do to regain the public's trust so that we can't have a public health field again?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: It's so interesting because the CDC is a predominantly white institution and it has the same issues internally right in terms of representation of black folks, in terms of prioritizing health equity as every other organization, so they are not immune to that. I think that the pandemic showed us that there is so much self reflection and inner work that the CDC needs to do. And what does that look like. That looks like engaging with communities, that looks like hiring, retaining, promoting black public health professionals, that looks like prioritizing what ideal health equity looks like. And there's so many opportunities for them to partner with black led organizations that are already embedded in the community. Right. I think that is how they can engender trust, like investing resources funding into organizations. Because there's so many organizations out there that are already doing the work, how can we.
Speaker 1: Lift up their work?
Speaker 3: And I think the CDC needs to think about what kind of partnerships can they do with community based organizations that are already doing the work, that already have relationships with community members and not reinvent the wheel.
Speaker 1: So in the meantime, why we are waiting for these systems to change? We know that means that there is a lot of work that needs to be on the individual right in terms of advocating for themselves and doing all these things. What suggestions would you have for people about how they can advocate for themselves within the medical system.
Speaker 3: I know, And it's interesting because that question I'm always like, Ah, it's the system, as you alluded to, it's a system, like it shouldn't be on us to feel like we're going to war when we are seeking care, when we are at our most vulnerable, at our weakest in discomfort and pain. Right, But a few things. So, I don't know if you saw this recently, there was a viral, but I think it on social media of a white male physician who said he's like, I want to know why when I go into the room to see black patients, they usually have someone on FaceTime.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: It's because they don't trust you and they need someone else there, like for surveillance. So I say, bring someone with you to your appointments, a loved one, a family member, your best friend, someone who can help support you, whether it be just to ensure that you are getting respectful, dignified care, or someone who can make sure that you're asking all the questions that you need to ask. I also think it's important for people to go into the healthcare settings prepared, So take notes on what your symptoms have been like, the duration of your symptoms, the quality of your symptoms, what has worked, what hasn't worked. Make sure to have notes because a lot of times when we get in front of a health professional, we get nervous, anxious also for not feeling well. We may not be able to share all the details. Making sure that you ask a health professional, what do you think is going on? What is your plan for me? What is my follow up? What are red flags I should look out for it where I would come back or go to the emergency department making sure that you have answers to those questions. And then I think that I always say, and this is more difficult obviously in emergency medicine settings, but if you feel like your health professional is not listening to you, minimizing your complaints, get a second opinion, get a third opinion.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The other thing is I think that we have our informal circles, our friends. I do it even as a physician. I asked my girls my village, who do you see for this? Who's your dermatologist, who's your obgyn?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Because these are people that we already know, have been vetted and we know will give us good care. But like I mentioned, there are provider directories out there. National Medical Association has them. Health in her Hue has one specifically for black women and women of color. We are creating the solutions right to make sure that we are receiving respectful and equitable care.
Speaker 1: And are there specific questions that we can ask providers that can help us to vit whether they are culturally competent or culturally responsive.
Speaker 3: I think that is more challenging. But I think maybe when you go see someone, you can ask them what is your patient population, like even looking but like where did they train, where do they go to medical school? What kind of settings have they been practicing in, a lot of that you can actually find out online. I would look at even physician reviews, even though sometimes people may go in there and it may not be accurate in terms of what folks are saying, But definitely looking up physical reviews and seeing what people are saying about them because that can be very helpful as well.
Speaker 1: Nowc of Black PEC, I wonder what kind of message or charge would you give to either current medical students or future medical students about how they can continue to advance this work even if it is not being taught as a part of their formal curriculum.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's interesting because I actually gave a keynote talk the week before last the Student National Medical Association, which is the largest organization for black pre medical and medical students. One I wanted to remind them that it's a hard road to becoming a physician, especially in these predominantly white institutions, that they really have to be clear on what their purposes, what their values are, always stay in alignment, but also gather your village around you find the people, other students that you can trust, find the faculty that are open to mentoring and sponsoring you and to help support you if something comes up. I think organizing is something we don't talk about in medical school, but organizing, the more students that we have that are speaking up about these kind of issues, the more protected you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't try to sugarcoat it, because I know there's so much more work that medical schools need to do in creating diverse, inclusive environments for our students where they can show up authentically. And I also say, just keep your village, keep your family close to you, your loved ones, your blood and chosen family close to you, because they're the ones that are going to keep you grounded during your process where you're an environment that is very unfamiliar to you and sometimes unwelcoming to you. So stay grounded, remembering your purpose, seeking help when you need to, finding your village, whether it be other students or faculty. When I was faculty, I really felt like it was my purpose and obligation to support our students if something came up, to speak on behalf of them, to let their instructors know that something is going on to really have their back, and I know there are a lot of black faculty out there that are still doing that.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Well, thank you so much for that, doctor Blacksack. I wonder if you could share how we can stay connected to all the work that you're doing and where can we grab a copy of your book? Sure?
Speaker 3: So my organization is Advancing Health Equity. So that's actually what I left Academic medicine to focus on. It's five years old this month. It's a health equity consulting firm and we work with healthcare organizations around the issues we're talking about today to create diverse, inclusive environments where we can retain black health professionals and where we can deliver the most equitable care to our patients. So the website for Advancing Health Equity is ww dot Advancinghealthequity dot com. But if you want to follow me on social media because I talk about these issues all the time they mean so much to me. I'm on Instagram at UJA Blackstock MD, I'm on Twitter at uja Underscore Blackstock, and I'm on LinkedIn as well, and i also have my own website wwwja Blackstock dot com. If people are interested in book events and some media that I've appeared and legacy, my New York Times bestseller is available wherever books are sold, but I always recommend people to buy local, buy black owned, so find those stores close to you.
Speaker 1: We'll be sure to include all of that in the show notes. Thank you so much, Doctor Blacksock.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Doctor Joy.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad doctor Blackstock was able to join us for this episode. To learn more about her and her work, be sure to visit the show notes at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash Session three fifty six, and don't forget to text two of your girls right now and tell them to check out the episode. If you're looking for a therapist in your area, check out our therapist directory at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash directory. And if you want to continue digging into this topic or just be in community with other sisters, come on over and join us in the Sister Circle. It's our cozy corner of the Internet designed just for black women. You can join us at community dot Therapy for Blackgirls dot com. This episode was produced by Elie Ellis and Zaria Taylor. Editing was done by Dennison Bradford. Thank y'all so much for joining me again this week. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you all real soon. Take good care, what