Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Welcome to and that's what you were in this podcast the very special guest edition Kevin. Who do we have today?
Speaker 3: Oh? My god, we have.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: This person worked, I mean maybe harder than anyone on the show. She had to put up with us after the long hours. She is famous in the Glee world for making all of the behind the scenes content. It is the one and only Kaylin Gorman.
Speaker 1: She'd have the chase after us in between scenes, like do you want to do SOMEPN And you're like, ah, but I'm glad she did, because I truly said that, like it's a moment in time that we have forever now, even as tired as we were, but we were goofy in some of those she spills the tea and she also it's such so interesting what her job consisted of and all the things, the kind of steps that she had to take, and it's a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 3: So I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: And how much Ryan Murphy trusted her. She is so good at her job and it's just a special and kind person. This is Kaylyn Gorman.
Speaker 1: Welcome Kaylin. So good to see you. Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm just so excited. When you messaged me and was like, do you want to be on the plot? I was like, oh, I was like, would see who was on? I was like, oh, yeah, that makes way more sense than me. So I go, oh my gosh, we just got to spread it out.
Speaker 2: You are Glee Royalty and yeah, like the at all. What we know from like the fans doing this is that the things you made are very near and dear and beloved by all the fans. Still, yes, say yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think people don't know probably the amount of work, the amount of time you spent on set.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it was what I think about it all the time too for you guys, because I'm like, I don't think people understood, and even people I think at Fox didn't understand what your guys' schedules were. Like you're learning lines, you're learning choreography sometimes for two different episodes at the same time, you're you know, having to you had so much on your plates, and then you're recording and then all of a sudden, it's like I'm on set, like hey, or during your.
Speaker 4: One break and talk to me and you guys see so great.
Speaker 1: We use these as reference a lot for our recaps too, because it gives us like a window into where we were in our number one mental state and also like what we were doing in the episode. So sometimes it's a really good memory jogger as well as just like fun to watch ourselves at that in that moment in time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a tough thing to do the ePK with you and do all these other things. And but I'm okay, So for our listeners, can you kind of explain what your job was and how how it all like what you did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: My brother, by the way, who worked in entertainment, said, you do promos, right, And I'm like, I don't. No one ever could have explain or understand. I worked at Fox the network, and I was in charge of all the content, the behind the scenes content for a Glee. I came during the pilot and covered every single episode up through season five.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: And like on the bigger episodes like Madonna or whatever, I was there sometimes two or three times so and every it kind of evolved, but when it landed, it became each episode got a sneak peek which was like a minute or less, and then after the episode it would be like a two or three minute piece, which, by the way, now is crazy because that is so long. Totally when you're watching a three minute piece, even if you love it, it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of like uh huh. But anyway, yeah, but it and those those videos would get like eight million views and then would continue to get views.
Speaker 5: I mean, oh and still by the way, because the fans like ripped them and then reposted them and then they get more views there. And so I don't even I think it's incalculable.
Speaker 4: No, that's not the word, don't use.
Speaker 5: You can't really calculate at this point, all these years later, like how many views.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the cumulative views over time, ripped, ripped upon, ripped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And sometimes I go to look for them just and and.
Speaker 4: I can't find them.
Speaker 5: So I have to kind of think, like, okay, like there's this behind this. I took I did one the outtakes from all the interviews, and I called it Glee Say what, So I it was there for a long time and then suddenly I guess Fox took it down or something.
Speaker 4: So then I couldn't fit.
Speaker 5: So it's now I think it's Glee interview. Bloopers is what you search, and then it's that which I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh I love bloopers.
Speaker 5: I think from I haven't even explained what I did. So I worked at Fox, so I came I had other shows too, But when Glee came out of the gate and was such a phenomenon, it was almost like, just go do Glee and like we'll worry about bones.
Speaker 2: And did you have to ask can I just work and Glee or were they like you just need to do this.
Speaker 5: I think it became like you need to focus on the show because I don't know if people now really understand how huge Glee was, Like it was like nothing anyone had ever seen before, and I think it was maybe besides the Simpsons, like the biggest hit Fox ever had.
Speaker 4: Wow, and it it was. It just took off.
Speaker 5: I mean, you guys were on the cover of magazines, like you were doing talk shis, you were going to the White I mean, like, I know people know this, but.
Speaker 4: Like to put it in perspective.
Speaker 5: That you guys were virtual unknowns and now you're singing for Obama at the White like head like a short span, you're selling out the O two arena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like exactly.
Speaker 5: It was very quickers how much And you guys and I listened to one of your podcasts you guys talked about it. I really believe that because you were this cohesive group and you all kind of came in at the same level. You guys kept each other in check. And there was never a time that I remember where there was like cud Kevin's like, oh my god, he's like really even you know, getting full of himself or you know, or.
Speaker 4: Anything like that.
Speaker 5: It was always just like you guys would always kind of pull each other down and and keep and you know, hold each other up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And for you to say that, it means a lot because by the time we would get to you, we and there's a great video you sent us today, like a refresher video of what is it called h It's called.
Speaker 4: Total Gleananagan because into everything.
Speaker 2: Like yes, right, And I think if people watch that you.
Speaker 1: Get a really good idea.
Speaker 2: Presentation of our state of mind when you would receive us, which is probably really terrible because you're trying to do your job like before the network and we have we're out of our minds. But for you to say that we were good and not really complaining about each other, it means a lot because you would see it. You were sort of like like we could vent to you. We would get to you in those in between late hours, and so you would play like, Okay, still get to do my job, but part time therapist.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically, like on set, Kaylene would set up with her camera and like with a cameraman and they in a room that we weren't shooting in off to the side. So if we were in the theater that day, they would be you know, you'd set up in the choir room, and you know, they try to get as many people to pop in or if it's your episode, like you know, they try to get you to come and talk about what's happening and what it's like to shoot and when you got the script and all of that. So I'm curious though, how how did that work for you? So did you get the scripts with everybody else and then you came up with these questions based on reading the script or how did it work for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would get the scripts and I'd read through them and I figure out what the musical numbers were and I would read and you know, because in the scripts it would be like they're flying on stage and you're like, well, what does that mean? Is it like you're four feet off the ground? Is it going to be like one hundred extras? So what I would do is I would when I was on set for whatever episode I was doing, I would go to Zach and say, what is this number? And he would say, oh, my god, you know it's gonna be good, or he'd say it's not going to be that interesting. It's literally like just three of them, like Rocky swaying back and forth, So you know, do you want to cover that? And you know, and then a lot of times I'd come to set and they'd be like, why were you there yesterday?
Speaker 4: And I was like what, who?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: No one told me it.
Speaker 5: Was something amazing, And then I would feel like, you know, god, I missed that thing. But I think I got pretty savvy about realizing because they were obviously planning the next episodes ahead of time, they would know like this is going to be a big number, like the Madonna and the I think it was a madonn episode where they had.
Speaker 4: Like the the.
Speaker 5: The Bikers that were like on the ramps and like fireworks. It was still yes, I mean those kinds of numbers. Yeah, they would they had to plan all that. So then and Zach and I were really close, so it was like he was a really good wealth of information.
Speaker 1: Did you just show up on set like that day and then you would talk to like one of the pas or like ads and say like, hey, I'm here, how does that? How did that work?
Speaker 4: I would well, in the beginning, I was calling.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I would call someone in the office. I guess, I don't even remember. But then when Will came, so Will became kind of like the go between and then Will would clear it I guess with like you know, Karen and Ryan or whoever approved it at that time. And then and then I would book my crew and then I would we'd show up and get ready and you know, then just try and snag you guys. And that was always to me, Like there were days where I would be I felt like like a like a fan trying to get an autograph because I would like see you guys like all huddled up and you're having so much fun and you're laughing, and I'm like, oh, and I'm like, oh, hey, Jenna, can I grab you for a second? And you know, and I know that like even though you like me or you appreciate respect what I'm doing or whatever, like you did, I just sometimes I was like, oh God.
Speaker 4: And it got to the.
Speaker 5: Point where, you know, everyone was so cool and everyone was so great throughout, but there were times when I could just tell, like people were like.
Speaker 1: Not today, yeah today, so yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: So, And then I would know. And the great news was is that there were so many people that you were like having a bad day.
Speaker 4: Then I'd go hey Court or hey Corey or you know whomever.
Speaker 1: Who were the ones that you would go to that you knew would always say yes to you. Is there anybody that you're like, oh, they'll say yes to me.
Speaker 4: Corey?
Speaker 1: Oh you you're gonna say that.
Speaker 4: Corey was. I love Corey. He was.
Speaker 5: I feel like because he was older and had maybe done a little more like TV kind of stuff or whatever, I feel like he maybe appreciated it. Not that you guys didn't appreciate it, but I think he had a little perspective maybe you guys didn't. He was just like, let's let me help you, Like what do you need, I'll help you.
Speaker 4: And I appreciated that.
Speaker 5: And also Corey and I got to a spot where he'd sit down on the chair and he'd be like, what.
Speaker 4: Do you want me to say?
Speaker 5: And I go just say, this episode's amazing. I you know, like, we have so much gone on in this episode.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be so fun. And he goes got it. He'd be like, this is amazing. And so sometimes when I watch interviews and I look, I'm like.
Speaker 5: It's literally he's just married out to me because he was like, I don't we could go and do.
Speaker 4: The interview whatever, just tell me what you want me to say.
Speaker 7: And so, yeah, it was team players in the In the Glee Say What or the Glee Blooper video, there's a moment in that there's so it's so funny.
Speaker 4: If you guys haven't seen it in a while, go watch it.
Speaker 5: But Corey, there's a moment where Corey goes, I absorbed like five percent of what you just said. And that's what he's talking about because I gave him this whole thing.
Speaker 7: He's like, I think good was good.
Speaker 4: You guys were both good. I don't ever remember you guys are going like I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there were days that I said that, but sure.
Speaker 4: And the thing I learned I learned really early on was and.
Speaker 5: Is that if an episode is really about one character or two characters, like they're the primary focus of the episode, then do you go to the other characters and say, hey, come and sit in this chair and talk about the other storyline that you're not really involved in.
Speaker 4: And even though you guys.
Speaker 5: Were great about it, I knew after like maybe like ten episodes, fifteen whatever, I was like, you know what, it's kind of not really fair to like make somebody sit in a chair when the person who the episode's about, like it doesn't really want to talk, you know.
Speaker 8: I was like, okay, so let's that's what I kind of shifted.
Speaker 5: In season like maybe two or where I would just kind of ask you guys about general atmosphere, like what's going on, you know what, tell me like kind of what's happening on set, like what's the vibe, and you know, talk about guest star or whatever it was. And I stopped having you guys go in this. I mean, maybe there'd be.
Speaker 2: One lot I remember that, Yeah, you know, we're like here's what we're going to do from now on. Let's just talk about because I think we would do that, you know, talk about the storyline. But it's sort of like pulling teeth, probably because you're like, I don't really know much exactly. We're sitting in the fire room, so I think you got to know us, and like, I think, knowing our dynamics and hanging out with us so much, you also probably knew like that they'll talk about this till the cows come home. Just the vibes. What are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I also I would see all the shenanigans on set.
Speaker 4: I mean I think I was.
Speaker 5: I captured a lot of it in the behind the scenes, but it was so much more than that. And I was I always thought, God, if the fans who love this show, this is what they want to see, They want to feel like they're part of it.
Speaker 4: They want to be on set and see you, you know, you.
Speaker 5: Guys all in a corner laughing and like goofing off and dancing and doing whatever.
Speaker 4: And and I was like, this.
Speaker 5: Is what I find so charming and fun about being on the set. So why would I then just make you guys go Today's episode is a blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: But it just seemed like they they need to know you. I wanted them to fall in love with you, not your character.
Speaker 1: It's very smart because I think there are some like epks that I'll watch after an episode that I'll want for storyline, Like I watch Game of Thrones, I watch those extras because I want to know about what they were doing and how they were filming the scenes and what the intention was. But on Glee, there were so many unhinged storylines and things that didn't make sense, and we probably didn't even read the scripts. We stopped reading them at some point that you're like, they say, these fans don't really want to they want to know what we thought about the unhinged storyline, kind of like this podcast, but they just want to see us be act a fool because that's yeah, that's kind of what we were doing, and that that's I think what made part of the chemistry of the show work was, you know, our crazy antics. So it was very it's very smart of you.
Speaker 5: It was also unusual to have so many like young, attractive people together and getting along so well that it just I felt like it was like lightning in a bottle, Like I was really aware of it.
Speaker 4: I feel like pretty early, and I I just wanted to do it.
Speaker 5: And I also I felt very protective of you guys, like I was always like would never I mean, I hope you've never watched it behind the scene thing and thought.
Speaker 4: Oh no, why did she use that?
Speaker 1: Wait there?
Speaker 3: I just had a flashback.
Speaker 2: There was one time I was sitting with you and I think because I mumble, and I think I said something that sounded like I said my boyfriend, Oh my god, do you remember this? And then you came and I just like went out with the interview, finished it blah blah blah blah, and you came over to me afterwards. This was early. I think it was maybe Sey one.
Speaker 5: It was so early, this was maybe like episode five or something, and.
Speaker 2: You were so nice and you're like, hey, so I just want to make sure. I think you said wherever the quote was is your boyfriend? And I was like, oh my god, did I say that? Because I was like not out. Nobody really knew except like Jenna Amber and Chris, like nobody knew now. And then she came over to like check to make sure, did you mean to say that? Is that what you said? And I was like, I think I just said for but it was I think about Marco, who was my boyfriend at the time.
Speaker 5: So yes, I remember it vividly. You said what I thought I heard you say was my boyfriend hates when I put my feet on the table. I think was what I thought you said. So I just was like, oh, because at that point I didn't even think about it really one way or another. But I just thought, well, I should ask because I you know, I knew you weren't like open about it, and I was like maybe, and not that I would have even gonna use it, but it just I was like, I feel like I should know this.
Speaker 8: But I felt like afterwards that it was like it put like a weird like thing because then you were like, no, I didn't, And then for like a while.
Speaker 4: I felt like it was awkward. Did you feel that too?
Speaker 2: No, it was nice that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think if there's any awkwardness, it was with myself because I think it was the first time, like professionally, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I'm slipping up.
Speaker 2: I gotta I gotta rein it in. I'm getting too comfy. But I thought it was really nice that you came to check. Yeah, and it was sort of And that was very much in that time too, where I was like do I tell people? Do I not? I didn't really know what I was doing, and at that not telling people didn't last very long after that, but I always remember that I thought it was really nice of you to like just come over discreetly and be like, did you say this?
Speaker 3: Did you mean to say this?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you didn't have to do that, by the way, you didn't because I went back and looked at the taping that you did not say boyfriend.
Speaker 2: But you felt something though, because what I remember was I was like, I'm pretty sure I said friend, but it was about my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: So your sixth sense was like.
Speaker 5: That's fine, Yeah, I guess, but I yeah, I do remember that, and I remember, yeah.
Speaker 4: I just I just felt because you were like, no, I didn't. You were you weren't defensive, but you were very adamant, like, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Anytime I got brought up, I immediately like, oh no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: I didn't say something like that, though.
Speaker 4: So I then felt bad that I brought it up.
Speaker 5: So then I think I felt like oh, I made him uncomfortable, and that's not what I ever want to do, and so.
Speaker 3: It was oh no, just no.
Speaker 2: I appreciated it, and any uncomfortableness was me probably projecting whatever was going on with myself. So I'm sorry if I made you.
Speaker 4: Feel like that, because are you kidding?
Speaker 2: There was another instance too where Phil came up to me sound because oh my god, like right, it might have been the same week. I was just following apart and I said something, Oh, because we were miked a lot of the time, this was aide the point, but it was just nice to be surrounded by you know, a crew and a cast everybody that was just really protective, like you were saying. And we were playing some game or something in the teacher's lounge and usually for a micd as soon as we're off the set that's lit, the mics are turned off. Right, there was a day where a moment where it was not turned off, and I'm like joking around with everyone, and all Phil hears is by curious Kevin was I said that at some point and so then he turns over to me. It might have been the same week, because I was like.
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 2: And then very discreetly same thing, like, hey, so I just I'm sorry that the mic was on. It never normally is, and this is what I heard. I'm like, oh, it's all good. We were just joking.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Already said that.
Speaker 5: It's hard though for you, like did you, like, were you kind of like I should or.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it got to the point where it felt so pointless because it's not like anybody would care right at all, And it just took I think I had to like get through my preconceived things of like what the entertainment business was and how I could fit within it. And yeah, I think it just took. Like at some point Telly was like, so you like guys right, And I think it took a little bit of that to really help me. And like Leah was like, so when you talk about this girl, you're emphasizing girl really hard. I'm like, damn it, she saw oh by time every time in my mouth, I was telling out myself. So it was really nice that around me in every department there was a really supportive group of people being like, hey, like you no, but you take your time.
Speaker 1: We got you, right, we got you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, did you And Chris ever talk about it, Yes, very early on.
Speaker 4: And what did he ever say anything to you, like come on join me?
Speaker 2: You know, I started talking to him in the first place, sort of preemptively because I knew, I assumed he might be gay, but wasn't out with us. It was like pilot time and we were just rehearsing for the pilot. So he and I used to talk like on aim and I would like offer up myself. I'm like, hey, here's my situation, just so I My intention was so he had somebody he felt like he could talk to that was sort of going through a similar thing because we were only two years apart in age. We were the two youngest ones in the cast, and so so very early on he was very open with me, and then that very quickly became Jenna and Amber included as well, so very like almost immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was our little little group. When there were guest stars, which we had a lot and a plentiful many great guest stars, did you try to cover those did you try to let them do their thing? What was your angle on that?
Speaker 5: I I mean depending on I mean, yes, most of the guest stars, because the guest stars were all amazing, So yeah, we always made a point of like let's make sure we get you know, Ricky Martin and Carol Vernett and Matt Boehmer, and you know.
Speaker 4: I did anyone, I don't.
Speaker 5: I think the only people we didn't cover that I can remember were for various reasons were Sarah Jessica Parker and would Be Goldberg hmm, would be one other one that we can suffer.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot that's a few out of a lot, a lot of guest stars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I have to say, if you tell me, if you guys remember this. When Ricky Martin was on set and I think he's very attractive, but like you know whatever, I was like swooning, and everybody around that was like comes over and she's like, oh, he's so handsome, Like everybody on men, women, young, old, did not matter.
Speaker 4: Am I crazy? Or was that the vibe?
Speaker 2: It was like it was almost and he was so nice, like I think to offset he was probably so used to rooms, like walking into rooms and everyone responding like that where he was upsetting it or just being like the kindest sweet and he was quiet, but it was also so like I couldn't go talk to him. I felt so intimidated because his first concert, right, he was, but he was also everyone was sort of like glancing and stealing looks because he was.
Speaker 3: It's unreal.
Speaker 4: It was more than just handsomeness though.
Speaker 5: It's it's saying I've rarely ever encountered and I've been around a lot of celebrities, and I'm just it was.
Speaker 4: It was crazy, but everybody felt it. And even when I was doing his interview, I felt like giddy. I was like, what it was weird?
Speaker 2: It felt like like when living the FDA Looka came out and everyone was like a Riggie Martin world and we were all just living in it. He's never lost that whatever that is, like that presence and so like that excitement was very palpable, like it was whatever year that song came out. When he was there, it was very strange, like we all just reverted to that time, like, oh my god, I don't think.
Speaker 4: There was anyone else who came that had that effect. Was there? Am I forgetting someone like I think we all loved?
Speaker 5: But that was probably obviously Yes, I missed, yeah, but I yeah.
Speaker 4: So we cover all the guests, and thankfully most of them did interviews.
Speaker 3: And that's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think there was anyone, you know again.
Speaker 3: Professionals, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean all the guest stars were excited to be there. Like it felt like everybody was a gracious and kind of samous as they were, like they were happy to be there and like down to do whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they really, they really were. It was they were I remember. But honestly, for me, when Stevie Nicks came to set, I can't it.
Speaker 3: It was you were there that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you were there for that.
Speaker 4: And she she was like the biggest fan.
Speaker 5: Like I walked her around the sets and she was taking pictures like for herself, like and she was like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, look at the corn Like she was one of.
Speaker 5: The biggest fans of the show that I ever saw, like famous.
Speaker 2: So you took her around everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then I did an interview with her.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I took my opportunity and I started asking her, you know, and she told me the whole story about how she wrote Landslide. It's literally like I found in my in my Instagram bio the ePK interviews in there, and she talked about writing Landslide and she and I was like, I mean, I was like a cartoon with like hard eyes, I think the whole time because I'm like, you know, obviously older than you, like Stevie Nicks, Like I couldn't.
Speaker 2: That was that the coolest moment of working on Glee.
Speaker 5: That was pretty high up there. Carol Burnett was also that was just I felt dumbfounded, but.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 5: You know who the interview was that I was most nervous about was James Lipton because of right, and he said after the interview, he said, you're very good at this.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 5: Like it was the nicest, one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me professionally like that.
Speaker 4: I was so blown away, but yeah he was. He was intimidating for obvious reason, but yeah, it was. It was so it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy.
Speaker 4: Your job was crazy, truly, the job was, I mean, and thankfully I had worked in publicity before, you know, segueing into production.
Speaker 5: And I when I worked in publicity, we worked with al Pacino and Drew Barrymore and Tom Hanks and I mean the biggest Tom cruise, like the biggest stars in the world, so it I just didn't get starstruck at all, and so the only person and I wished so badly if David Bowie had done had gone on the show, I would have probably cried through the entire interview. Yeah, he was my like white whale that I was like, I want to interview David Bowie, but it sadly didn't happen. But yeah, I him and Prince if they were like the two it's good to have dreams and goals.
Speaker 2: Also, show like Glee, you didn't know who was going to show up. It was totally within the realm of possibility that one of them might have ended up on the show, which is crazy.
Speaker 4: And remember when I remember for what Javier Bardain was supposed to do the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh.
Speaker 5: Wanted he wanted to do the show, right, because I feel like Ryan had said.
Speaker 2: That yes, yes, yeah, because they had an Eat Prey Love, so they knew each other and then Glee was going on at the same time.
Speaker 5: By the way, you wanted to something crazy that you guys probably had no idea about. But I think about it now and I'm like, that's bonkers. When I in the first like two or three seasons of Glee, every single piece of content that I did. Ryan approved. Ryan watched and approved every single one of them.
Speaker 1: WHOA, I'm like surprised, and that surprised yea, I do you know what I mean, like exactly, Wow, that's a lot of content though.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know, and the fact that in his schedule because he was well, he was doing e Prey Love at one point and he was wherever he was around the world, and he'd still look at them and I'm like, I wanted to say, like, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: But he really liked them, you know. He he told me one time.
Speaker 5: This is me just fully bragging sure that he said to me, and you're one of the one of us shouldn't say this because I don't want to make it seem like negative against it. Anyway, he told me, I'll kind of rephrase it a little bit. That he liked the fact that I understood the tone.
Speaker 3: Of the show.
Speaker 4: He felt like I was I had a real grasp of the tone of the show. So he never the only time he ever.
Speaker 5: Gave a note, it was usually just something like, oh take that out because we don't know if that's going to happen or something.
Speaker 1: It was more like a storyline kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it was never anything that was you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little horrifying to think about the things we would say and doing those interviews and he was watching truly.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: No, he he really liked He literally liked it.
Speaker 5: I think he Ryan is such He's so savvy, and I think he knew, like the fact that Fox was putting so much time and effort behind the show, like he understood, so I think he respected how much just that Fox and twentieth were doing and Twentieth International, like it was such a massive, all hands on dack thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't really feel like that, though, because when we would start to see those behind the scenes scenes come out and you would also sort of let us just be stupid and crazy and wild, where it felt like you would allow us to do that, and then a lot of it would make it into the cut. You understood the tone of us personally and the show so well that it was fun like going into those interviews at some point because I knew, like, oh, we can also sort of in some jokes and have some fun and Kaylen's going to like use it.
Speaker 3: Well some bits.
Speaker 1: You have to know that if you said something. It was fair game, like it could be and probably would be used, not in a bad way, but like I mean, I would be stupid and and it would come out and you're like, oh that, yeah I said that. I said it. But it was fun. It was really fun to to chat and even more now though, like to watch back again. Like I said, it's like it's having these like moments in time that we are, you know, encapsulated.
Speaker 2: Now we're there to do it, and you did it like with such care every single day that you.
Speaker 1: Like props when everybody played each other and we all those like that. BTS was amazing, very was amazing.
Speaker 2: That's what I see more than anything online.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all the time.
Speaker 4: I have watched it over and over.
Speaker 5: And it's funny too, because you know, when you're editing something, you're you're watching over and over again and I still can almost verbatim tell you exactly like in certain spots like what you guys, so like little things will like comick out, you know, And when I watch it, I'm like, that's so weird that all these years later, I remember this so vividly, Like that's my memories of the show.
Speaker 4: Are numbers and like interviews that were done that.
Speaker 5: Day, Like if I couldn't tell you stories like in most of the episodes, if you said, like what happened in prop like I know Tina hit her head in this fantasy, but then like anything ill said, it was happening, no idea. I only really remember the episodes by whatever bind scenes there were.
Speaker 2: That makes me feel a lot better because I think Jenna and I also remember a lot of the episodes of the exact same way as you do. Yes, because storylines will come We're like, what, but remember everything by the numbers. I remember doing interviews with you all the time, and so I think because that's directly just the behind the scenes stuff. So it's hard to like sometimes storylines get cut or changed, like how Ryan would say, don't put that in there, and so it's I feel like it's easier for as to forget those things. But all the because we spent so much time together, you included on that set, what was your process like for you had Ryan approving it, and then so you would get on you'd make your questions, you'd get on set, hopefully we weren't being terrible and we'd trow for some interviews. What was your relationship, like with the editing process and then the network, did you have to run everything by the network or did they sort of just trust you to like let go and like.
Speaker 4: God, you do I mean for what I shot or what I.
Speaker 1: Yeah you shot?
Speaker 2: It was that the true process afterwards?
Speaker 5: Well, Tracy who was the publicist for Fox on the show Who We Love. Tracy got to the point where she was like, you know this show better than like anyone can hope to know it at this point. So like if you think that, I would always tell her I'm doing this, and she would always just be like great.
Speaker 4: She never was like no, you know, unless it was like a start or something. Yeah, I mean she trusts. Yeah, she trusted that.
Speaker 5: I you know, because after you you know, work and cut you know, eighty pieces of content, people.
Speaker 4: Are like, okay, I guess she might, but she so so she would.
Speaker 5: Tracy was the only one that I would ever say I'm doing this and she'd say great, and then I would go to set and then afterwards I'd take the footage.
Speaker 4: I had an editor who did.
Speaker 5: Not work it because it was too much of an ask for anybody at Fox to do. So we had an outside editor who I had worked with his names. I have to give him a shout out. Quinn O'Brien.
Speaker 4: He just was nominated for that one hundred foot Wave that show on HBO.
Speaker 1: He's such a good show.
Speaker 5: He was nominated for editing for that recently. He's a phenomenal editor. And it was insane, like he was working so hard because there was so much footage also to go through, and I would go through it and be like, oh, this is a great shot, make sure to include this, and blah blah would kind of give him a little bit of guidance. But he liked to kind of do a first cut for me with just his own like input, and nine out of ten times he was right on the money anyway. And then once they were cut, then it went through at Fox.
Speaker 4: There were probably.
Speaker 5: Nine people who had to prove it wow. And then but then Ryan and Joe Joe who was like the head of Fox, you know, Joe head of marketing whatever, Joe would Joe approved everything like it was it was a I can't say it enough, like it was such.
Speaker 4: A priority at Fox that.
Speaker 5: Everybody wanted to be involved, like there was going to be no missteps with this show.
Speaker 1: Well, like Light and clicks or you know, you know, views, it had it had to be right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also during Glee, if I'm not mistaken, it was when like Twitter came out, and I mean so yep, there was not a whole lot of social media going on where it so really these like videos that were going on YouTube or whatever were kind of it for like the first part. Until then, you know, we could do shorter stuff and just put it on Twitter or put it on Instagram or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's right later, that's you're at the forefront, you were.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, yes, wow, Quinn and I were editing these together. When you know, somebody, if someone who's being kind of sarcastic and they say a comment, you know they're kidding, but once when you edit it, sometimes it comes out like maybe they're being like a jerk. Yes, So I early on was like, well I love that bite, but we got to like figure something out. So then I said to Quinn cut do like a like a flash cut to him laughing, and then and then it won't and then and it worked, and so then from then on.
Speaker 4: We just called it pops of laughter. I'd be like, put, we need to pop up loud here after Kevin says like I hate it here or whatever.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, that's a bad example.
Speaker 4: Like add a pop of laughter. So if you ever like are watching.
Speaker 5: And you just all of a sudden in any of the scenes and then you just somebody says something and then it cuts to them laughing, that's typically why we did that, because we just wanted because it'll be like, oh God, this is like a really long day on set and blah blah blah, and then it like you start to think, oh god, is it seems like they're really like bummed out? And then it was like figure out a way to kind of bring it back so smart.
Speaker 1: Thank godness, thank goodness. Before we let you go, I have a very important question for you, Caitlin. What is the feeling that Glee leaves you with it?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: I feel like I will cry right now, which is embarrassing, but like working on the show and it's funny because you guys know, but like outsiders don't know.
Speaker 4: It was like this beautiful moment in time where I got to go to a set full of amazing people, not just you guys, the crew.
Speaker 5: I can't even say enough nice things about the crew because we were in their way, and they never ever made us feel bad about anything, and they were a phenomenal But just to like go and watch people sing and dance and like watch you guys like having fun off to the side, and the feeling like, you know, you'd go on set and people will come up and hug you, like how are you doing?
Speaker 4: And it was like a job, but it was a family.
Speaker 5: And so when I think about it, because I have friends that sometimes I'll be like, well, Glee, and I feel like they're like going, oh my god, really like it's been like ten years, cruly, but I'm like, you'll never understand it. Like it almost feels like if you like this is a bad analogy, if you like fought in a war together, like you'd always.
Speaker 4: Forever you're in the trenches.
Speaker 6: And it just felt like i'd really had it was the best job I ever had. That's when I was saying, wow, truly and you guys were really truly part of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I can't cry because that's so embarrassing. But you guys were always never ever, ever and I would remember because I have a lot of time, you were never rude to me. You never were it made me feel bad or anything, and it was and I was there a lot, you know, and there would have been moments where if you had been like kylein just can you not or whatever, I would have been like, oh my god, I feel so bad.
Speaker 4: But you never did that. It just it really I feel a very sense mental about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 5: Love that you're doing this podcast because I think it's so I think it's interesting to come back, you know, with perspective totally.
Speaker 4: By the way, I have a question for you guys. Yeah, yes, if you could go back.
Speaker 5: To the very beginning during the pilot now and tell your pilot self one thing, like give yourself like some advice or something, what would you say, Oh.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's almost very obvious, but it's like things are going to get tough, but don't forget how very rare and special this is. Because we got tired, and there were times I did forget it, and that's okay. But I think the reminder of like, because now, in hindsight we look back, you're like, gosh, I wish I appreciated that moment a little bit, a little bit more. I could still be tired, but just a little bit more. I think I would have just said, like, just remind yourself of like how this won't last forever.
Speaker 4: Happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of that, And I think I would add something along the lines of if you can sort of slow it down in your head to like just take care and those the little moments you had of like silence, to like just really soak that up because it's going to go on for a while and it is going to get crazy. But you know, I think that question also makes me realize that I think we did a lot of smart things unintentionally. I you know, I love that we were all so so close. We did keep each other in check. Yeah, we protected each other, and by we, I mean you you included in that Klin and the crew. And so I think a lot of those things we did really really well. And so I think, yeah, I think, you know, in that sense, played the long game, because obviously when we lost Corey, things got a little crazy, and so I think to be able to maintain that throughout would have been the ultimate goal. But you know, life happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, but we were so lucky to have someone like you that was like you cared and you do care so much.
Speaker 1: And I had fun and yeah, it was really nice to have.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you coming on the show and chatting with us. I think people really loved all the content you made, truly and still do. I mean we do for sure, So we really appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, thank you guys, I really, I like I said, it really was so much fun for me and you guys made it fun.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 1: She's amazing. Thank you Kilan for coming on the show and spending time with us. I don't know, she'd thankless jobs.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, yeah, and like would fly under the radar and like do such a great job truly, really really good when.
Speaker 1: You know, some days we were and we really it's just the fans really love those, and I totally get why. It's like a real inside like a sneak peek into what it was like the on set. So she did a really really great job. Obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were very lucky to have her in her team every single episode because I mean, she did that for a very long time, didn't we all.
Speaker 3: Kevin, You're right.
Speaker 2: Thank you Kaylen for coming on and being so open and honest and spending so much time with us. We really appreciate it. We love you fans. I hope listeners, I hope you enjoy her Kaylan, because she really has such a unique perspective of working on that show. She was basically a one person department for a really long time, and then Mia came on to help as well, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the best. We were so lucky. And that's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Bye, Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.