Speaker 1: So one of the things that's fun about living so close to Danielle is that we tend to go places. Everywhere we have to be at the same place together. It makes sense we hop in the same car Danielle Norris drives, and the conversations we've we've realized between all three of us are just endless. We just so for some reason, it's like now we're trying to run out of stuff to say, because we could use this.
Speaker 2: We literally stop recording and keep talking. I noticed when we were at breakfast, we kept going. It was like no one's even recording our filming notes, and it's just like it never stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're we're going and the conversations go all over the place. So this one started where she was talking about Keaton waking up because Keaton at the time was kind of battling a little bit of a fever. Yeah, and he felt but She's like, he felt great when when we woke up in the morning. You know, he wanted to wrestle right away and we were playing Hulk, and but he's got this little fever and little stuff. And I said, well, you realize, if you know, maybe he's turning into the actual Hulk has he been exposed to any gamma radiation, to which then Danielle kind of says what, And I get to spend the next fifteen minutes really explaining the backstory of doctor Bruce Banner and the Hulk.
Speaker 2: Bruce band.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't the gamma rays that confused me. You said, what if he because he could be smart Hulk, And I said.
Speaker 4: Right, what, what's smart Hulk?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we had a great conversation about smart Hulk.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing that was so funny was that you were telling me that you had kind of like the basic Hahul story that you read your kid, and she's like, so, no, I read him a story and it's Hulk green, Hulk angry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh no, there's so much more. But then in the perfect Danielle is right when she finished telling the story, she's like, but the doctor Bruce Banner in the book is hot.
Speaker 4: He's hot. Oh yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: It's a real simple comic book for like the earliest reader. So literally the book goes, Hulk is green, Hulk is strong, Hulk is a good person.
Speaker 4: He likes to the.
Speaker 3: Bruce Banner story, where we find out how he became the Hulk, And I'm like.
Speaker 4: Whoa Bruce Banner? Huh?
Speaker 1: Danyell wants to wake up to find those purple shorts on her floor.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, but this is where I get so overwhelmed with comic mythology. It's so dense and there's so many layers, like did you ever did you actually read comics when you were a kid? Will like? Is that where it started?
Speaker 1: Or I didn't? I actually, but I read mythology, don't you remember? Like Hamilton? Is that the famous mythology book that everybody needs in school? And then I, you know, I just dove into But that's what comic books are. It's it's americanology. I mean, so it's but no, I did start comic book reading till later. So you okay, but you do? Do you read comics now?
Speaker 2: Or is you mostly like cartoons movies?
Speaker 1: It's cartoons, movies and the lore like that. But if somebody says to me, like, you've got to read this, you know, this group of comics, then I'll jump in and I'll read I want it. I've always wanted to do X Men from the beginning, But depending on who you ask, I know, the ninety different versions you're supposed to read. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Like I because I remember when I was a kid, like I don't know, second or third grade, we we got pen pals at another school, you know, and so we were like and I became pen pals with this kid and he was like really into X Men.
Speaker 1: I decided like, oh, I'm gonna I'm gonna get into X Men.
Speaker 2: And then I just got so lost. I have no idea where to start. It was like, do I go to sixties X Men? Do I go to eighties X Men? Do I do the cartoons? It was like, yeah, oh my god. I mean and now, of course this is kind of standard, Like I feel like there must be like lists online of like start here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are, and it's where you can start and where you can go and do all that stuff. But any opportunity I get to nerd out to Danielle is a lot of fun because she's like, what is smart Hulk? I'm like, okay. So doctor Bruce Banner realized that the balance the whole fund was that he was trying to get rid of the Hulk his entire life, to just go back to be Bruce Banner but what turns out is he just the best part was adding Bruce Banner to the Hulk, so he always walks around his Hulk now, but he's Smart home. She's like, oh god, so yeah, whenever I can.
Speaker 3: And I love it because now with my boys, I want to know all of it so that I can participate in it with them. You know, whereas before I'd be like, okay, whatever, well, cool story about Smart.
Speaker 2: It reaches it reaches a saturation point.
Speaker 1: Trust me, oh I got to. I got you know.
Speaker 2: Indy went through his Star Wars face. He like, now he can't stand Star Wars. You just go through like months of everything is this one thing. And so luckily Will came to my brother's house for brunch when he was going through like his heavy lightsaber.
Speaker 1: It was it was not just Star Wars.
Speaker 2: It's very specific lightsaber. And I saw Will and Indie just start getting into the different colored lightsabers, and I was like, thank god he has Will because he would always ask me. He's like, well, what a white lightsabers kind of crystals makes the red lightsaber? What? And I was like uh, And Will was just like, oh, well, he's a Sith lord who came from this planet, and the kyber crystals from this and if you're talking a yellow lightsaber, those was only this order of Jedi. And I'm like, oh my god, than I know, fine, great, but I'm not I can only my patients only go so far. Do you want to talk Shakespeare writer.
Speaker 3: I'd actually like to know more about your pen pal. Did your pen pal know you were? Like who you were? Did you guys know each other?
Speaker 2: This was like second or third grade early on. Yeah, this is before I was acting.
Speaker 3: But so did you like it was just like a neighboring school, like a neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like our school got paired up with another school in another city, another town somewhere. I have no idea California. Yeah, I was still in California.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've only really had like two pen pals. It was that. And then Aaron Metchick, who was on our show, was in another production of Lay Miz, and he and I started writing letters back to each other while we were doing La Miz. He was in a different production and I saw him. I had lunch with him like a couple of months ago. It was so great.
Speaker 1: Cool. Yeah, he's he runs.
Speaker 2: An acting studio. Now for kids actually in la and then San Luis Obispo, which is where he's from, and so he started this acting studio there and then he opened it up down here.
Speaker 1: So I think I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Go visit his school and like meet his students and stuff.
Speaker 1: But it was so good to see him. When you were younger, did you did your class ever do when it was still okay to release balloons? Did you ever do writing the notes and balloons and then letting the balloon go? And then months later you'd get like a letter from somebody going, I'm in Michigan and I found your balloon. Yeah, it was really Yeah.
Speaker 2: You actually got a letter about I feel like we did that that just never heard, you know, some bird.
Speaker 1: It was like a message in a bottle, you know it was. It was totally But how do.
Speaker 4: You guide where the balloons land?
Speaker 2: How'd you like a message in a bottle?
Speaker 4: You just one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember it was probably third grade. She's like, we got two letters back from the balloons we released. Here's one from Rhode Island and here's one from where they just go on the wind. And somebody picks him up and writes back like, Hi, I'm a student, and I was just want of if you find this, please write here in the East Coast.
Speaker 2: It actually would work because there are enough towns and like you know, there's enough density that you could at your balloon would actually read somewhere.
Speaker 1: Maybe or maybe your teacher.
Speaker 4: Was just I think they were lying.
Speaker 1: My god, I think they lying to me. My life would not be the same.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm sorry to put that thought in your head, but well, I'm just happy that writer's pen pal relationship turned out better than mine, who ended up being the creepy guy protruded to be a girl.
Speaker 4: That's the only pen pell I've ever had. Yeah, that ruined pen pals for.
Speaker 1: Me to the pen pals from that moment.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I could probably release a balloon to Will's house.
Speaker 1: You can we just drone it. At this point, I just send Danielle stuff by drone. I think that would be better.
Speaker 4: We do have a drone, so I could send one to you. Oh jes, Welcome to Pod meets World.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Vishel, I'm right strong, and I'm WILFORDO. Welcome to day's episode. We are recapping season four, episode seventeen, A Long Walk to Pittsburgh, Part two. It originally aired Valentine's Day, February fourteenth, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Right makes sense.
Speaker 3: The synopsis is that Corey is despondent without Tapanga until one rainy evening she shows up on the Matthews doorstep. Now Corey and Tapanga must convince Corey's parents and Topanga's aunt that they are truly in love and belong together in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Wait February fourteenth, Sorry before you jump in February is it?
Speaker 2: Wasn't it?
Speaker 1: February sweeps?
Speaker 2: Oh, this has been a sweet episode.
Speaker 1: Sense that this is a sweeps episode, Big guest star, big ride line. I think this is probably a sweeps episode that was thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a two parter. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Mark Blutman and Howard Buskang. And before I jump into our very special guest star or guest stars, did you guys have any over all feelings about the episode?
Speaker 1: I actually I liked it. You know you know what I liked about it? Is it? I mean, I again the same thing that happened last week. I thought I was kind of forcing my comedy a little bit. Not it was a little big, But I liked how it felt like a play. It felt very contained and it was you know, we can get into the hole. They've rewritten the qory into Pega saga obviously for the episode, and that's a whole thing story wise, but the actual you know, the feenie scene and the parents doing what they do, and and I thought Ben was good. So I liked the play aspect of the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, writer, I really really didn't like this episode.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm going to be the stick of the mud again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I think this is like a I mean, you know, we've talked about this a lot. Is you know, how the show changes and and like you said, rewrites the Corey to Panga thing. But I I feel like this is a just it's a huge diversion from our It rewrites the premise of Boymut's world. To me, like, I just found this so true and and you know the play factor. I like what you were saying about it being contained, but to me, it felt more like pageantry. It felt more like a like a trial of sorts. Like weirdly it felt like this I don't know, it just you know, I we can get into it as we go through. But like, yeah, I thought this is you know, this is one of those things like there are so many people who probably really love Boymuts World for the love story, for the Corey to Panga thing, and I feel like this episode is the like rewriting the premise of Boy Meets World to lock that in and to make that the sort of new central tenet of And it's been hinted at, it's been talked about, it's been danced around, and I think from now on we're just in a different show. We're in a show that's about Corey and Topanga's love. And I think for a lot of fans that is what they love about Boy Meets World. For me, it's not, you know, and I can see that this is the turning point this episode, and I you know, for me, that's a big mistake because I think, you know, and I'm sure we'll go back to the other version of Boy Meets World and other episodes and stuff, but for me, this is a like it's a big writing like it's a huge, bold choice, and I don't like it. I don't think it's good. You know, I can get into why, but I just think it it undermines what I really loved about the first you know what we've been watching like there's something so special about boy meets World and the approach to the world, and instead now it's it's a romance and that's just a different type of story. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying, but I'm sorry. You go ahead, Danielle.
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna say, I You're right. It is.
Speaker 3: It is completely rewriting the what feels like we've set up for all three and a half now seasons of the show. It feels like we're changing the idea of what the show is. But I actually, and even though I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the Big Swing is these two people are gonna are supposed to be together and come hell or high water, they're going to make it work together. Why I may while I may not agree, and I feel more like an Amy Matthews in my real life, there is a part of me that takes if I take myself out of it, I really just respect and appreciate the Big Swing in the Bold Choice, and I recognize how unique it was for its time to do that, to say, what if we're the show that says two people who love each other, no matter how old they are, should fight, come hell or high water to be together. And instead of the idea that you should just go and hook up with many different people until you decide to pick one and then settle down, what if it's okay to only love one person and to be with one person. So, on the one hand, I personally Danielle will feel more like Amy. On the other hand, I actually love the idea of taking the freaking risk and taking that move.
Speaker 1: I also think it's right. But I also think it's perfectly in a way. It's perfectly in keeping with Boym's world because we've talked about the shifts that the show does all the time, and they're big. It's like Corey's a little kid and it's about Corey and his home life, and then it shifts and it's about Sean and his homelike, and then it's about Eric and Sean, and now it's about Corey and Tapanga. Like it's one more new shift into what the show is going to be. And it keeps doing it every once in a while where they're just go, all right, now we're gonna focus on this, and if we have to rewrite stuff to focus on this that's what we're gonna do. I mean, it was like when they brought in Verna, she was this wacky, funny character that we just heard about, and then we bring her in and we show Sean's home life and they have to rewrite what Verna was to bring in that character. So now to show Corey and too Panga, they have to rewrite the history to me, make it fate, you know, kind of a destiny. And I think it will then culminate in all of us being together at college where it's like everybody's had their moment and then we're all kind of an ensemble again back.
Speaker 3: And it's not too unlike what we talked about earlier for pre show chatter, the toddler stages where you go through things where for months it's all about pop Patrol and then it's all about Power Rangers. When you're a teenager, you go from it's all about your family to it's all about my friends too.
Speaker 4: It's all about my girlfriend. I love my girlfriendster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so those phases may last a little longer when you're a teenager, or maybe they don't than they do in the toddler years. But I mean, I feel very much Like you know, I had my core group of girlfriends as a teenager, but there was always a different one I was super close to. It was like Vanessa and I are bfs forever, and then six months later it was like you were in a different class with someone else, and now all of a sudden, this part since your bff. And then of course there's the rotating cast of relationships you have. So it doesn't feel unlike real life that this has taken this trajectory at sixteen, seventeen years old.
Speaker 2: Well, but but real life has adjusted.
Speaker 1: The thing that's the thing for me is like it's a big change.
Speaker 2: It's because I think the story I guess the story logic of the show was always you know, in the title Boy Meets World, like you know that the poignancy, the beauty of it was that the show is going to be this magnifying glass on all the small experiences at this eleven year old maybe sixteen year old now kid is having, and so all the experiences of like thinking he's right, thinking he can change the world, meet up against the world, and meet up against mister Feenie and detention and whatever the situation is, and then like he pushes back and says, no, the world is this way, and then he learns his lesson in the world maybe adjusts a little bit right, and like there's like a little show to shift each way, and we come back next week and he does it all again, and like that is what's beautiful is that, like the the what's been beautiful so far is that the adult world is kind of messy. The kid world is kind of messy, and they're kind of neither one is like right or winning this argument. And then this one, Corey into Panga win the argument. It's like and that is just fundamentally like, oh now the it's like it's it's boy conquers world, you know, at the end of this episode, and I was like, well, wait, that's not the point of the show. The point of the show is that you learn that all those experiences, things that you think are so important, are little not You're still a kid, and like the show itself makes it important by highlighting and telling that story, but the world of the show doesn't adjust to fit the kid's view. That's like and in this one, we watch the pillars fault, like he literally goes, well, she's got to live in that you know, she's all the way in Pittsburgh. Boom to Panga shows up and then well we got to you know, my parents are never gonna let us do it. And then one by one the parents and then well Ant Proud and Aunt Prue and then Fiene and it's like literally goes on trial and Corey wins every argument and at the end, Boy gets Love conquers all and Boy, you know, Boy conquers world. And I was kind of like, but that's that's not the show.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what Jensen said. Jensen said, Normally they'd be losing. Normally they would lose the argument. They wouldn't be they would be on the wrong side, they wouldn't be on the right side. And I actually, I will get into it when we start when we let's just jump in and recap the show. But I see your perspective, and I would if it weren't for the fact that all of the adults are on the other side, and they're actually the reason they win is not because they love each other and they should be able to be together. It's because of all the other reasons. That's the only reason I actually ended up enjoying the episode. So we'll talk about it. Let's jump into our recap. Guest starring Olivia Hussey as Aunt Pruden's curtis a stunt casting if I've ever seen one. She is best known as Juliet in the nineteen sixty eight movie of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, making her the most famous teen in Hollywood at the time, a movie that was shown in classrooms around the country, despite the fact that she was only fifteen years old and the film included a topless scene. She was allegedly unaware was being filmed until the day of and then was told that no nudity would actually be seen on screen. In twenty twenty three, Olivia and her co star Leonard Whiting, whose butt was also shown, sued Paramount Pictures for abuse and distributing the underage scene. Do you guys remember working with her.
Speaker 1: I remember how exciting it was that she was going to be there, because this was one of those I mean, this was a movie I think they showed us in high school. I believe they also caught it. They might have edited out on the top of community by this point. Yeah, but I mean it was Romeo and Juliet. It it was at that time. I think kind of the quintessential version of Romeo and Juliet was that film. I remember her being very very sweet. Yeah, when she walked on camera. In my head, and again this is just because of my age at the time, I remember her being a lot older.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so when I saw her she walked down, I was like, oh my god, she's stunning. Like she I don't I remember for some reason, I remember her being closer to Bill's age.
Speaker 2: Oh well, because in your mind she was fifteen. Probably still right, she's so old.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like that at all. I mean she was and she was good. I mean I remember her being incredibly.
Speaker 4: Nervous, Yes, very nervous.
Speaker 3: I think my only memory of working with her is really just that she was very quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and very quiet, very nervous. She and would talk. She remember her saying that, like, I'm just very nervous to be in front of the audience. And so it was. But she was very sweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, writer, do you have any memories of you actually didn't really.
Speaker 2: Want to know. It's funny that you said that she was nervous, because that was my feeling watching it. But I wonder how much of that is that I did remember that fact too, Like there felt like attention to me. When I was watching the episode, I was like, what's happening. There's a lot of pressure on her, you know, obviously the big entrance, and like wondering if anybody's gonna even know she is.
Speaker 1: So they teat it up as much as they can, and.
Speaker 2: I don't think we had an audience this week. I feel like, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming we did, because don't you remember when when when Tapega shows up they had to cut because they went crazy when she showed up and they were it lasted forever, so they remember they had to cut it down for the actual edit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt myself kind of nervous watching it, and I but I also just feel like there was a kind of a missed opportunity. I didn't feel like she got to do that now. I didn't know what was happening. I didn't quite understand her position in the scenes, and like her going head to head with Phoenie, I'm so, what is this is?
Speaker 1: This didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 2: It didn't make a whole lot of sense, and it didn't like it just didn't. It didn't quite pay off, Like it didn't plan out, like I even when they kind of go at each other in this like what I assume was was sort of meant to be this like meeting of the minds and like smart verbose and they actually say for most people like going at it, but it just didn't land.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like, what is this. I'm not sure they're oppositional or even the tools that they have to be oppositional are not that great.
Speaker 3: Was it was a it was a fever dream of the writers to get Hussy and Bill days together acting their faces off with each other, but the characters didn't have enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I would.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would have been interesting to try and find a way to like allow her to actually be on stage or in some context, or like for them to do a Shakespeare thing or I don't know, but obviously they they couldn't quite figure that out or make that work, so it just, I don't know, it felt it felt like a lot of expectation and held breath to me, like I.
Speaker 1: Just I just love the idea that they keep using Romeo and Juliet as the pinnacle of how young love conquers all they died.
Speaker 2: I don't get me started. That's what drives me so crazy. That's where I started like writing all these notes. I was like, what the whole point I mean? And that's it gets to, you know what I was saying, Like, the whole point of Romeo and Juliet is that their kids, they don't know. That's the point. They're thirteen. They think they're in love. When we meet Romeo, he's broken up over his last girlfriend. He's obsessed with her. So Romo's love sick teenager. He's writers, strong, writer thirteen, and he's an idiot. That's the whole point, is like, it's not the point of the play is not that Romeo and Juliet are right. The point of the play is that they're young, idiot kids who love each other and they shouldn't have died, but they took themselves so seriously because of the corrupt adults. You know, they were in opposite and it's like that is the worst metaphor for them, or the worst parallel for this, Like the point of Boy Meets World is that the adults are actually pretty great and nuanced and willing to listen to the kids and the kids still just don't have power, but in this this episode we completely subvert the power, like now the kids have all the power. It's so weird to me.
Speaker 3: It's also guest star and Katie Johnston as Rosie Sparrow, a new addition to the Trio Club if you can believe it, joining Hillary Tuck, Willie Garson, Jonathan Kaplan, and maybe Phil Leeds. Katie Johnson played Hillary aka fish Girl in Corey's Alternative Friends.
Speaker 4: Yes, Bonnie in Breaking.
Speaker 3: Up is really, really, really hard to do, and now she is British Rosie.
Speaker 1: I thought she was British by the accent.
Speaker 4: Oh, sure you did.
Speaker 2: Well? No, okay, I thought my exit was actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yours. No, I was surprised. I was like, yeah, the two girls, they weren't. They weren't the best accents I've ever heard in my life. If I'm I'm being honest.
Speaker 3: That's okay, you're you're I don't know about the I don't know when he is actually British. Emma Ridley as Becky Sparrow. You may recognize her as Ozma in the Wizard of Oz sequel, And yes she is British, then hers is fine. Yeah, returned to OZ, but Boy Meets This World was her last of only four acting credits. Really so yeah, so those are our guest stars jumping into our recap.
Speaker 4: This episode kicks off with a.
Speaker 3: Previously seene on and we see a recap of what happened in part one.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you guys have like the crazy voice?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: James Earl Jones was introducing.
Speaker 4: It was Crael. It was wild.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't it be one of us?
Speaker 2: I know, I thought it would be banned or somebody like, but it.
Speaker 1: Was like Bill, how do you use Bill? Daniel's voice was so.
Speaker 2: Dramatic and deep, and I was like, oh, this is serious, yes, very weird, so funny.
Speaker 4: So then we're in the Matthews living room.
Speaker 3: Sean is making out with a girl as her friend sits next to them uncomfortably. The camera pans to a nearby chair, where Corey is awkwardly sitting. The girl making out with Sean pulls away and speaks in a British accent, don't be such a rushy boy. Sean laughs, A rushy boy. Corey painfully smiles back. The girl continues, since Rosie and I have been in America, we really haven't been on very many dates, you know. Rosie chimes in, yes, and I suppose Becky and I have a little catching up to do, And then the girl's giggle and Sean is loving it. Becky leans back into Sean and Rosie diverts her attention to Corey. She points out, anyone can sit on a couch, but you were clever enough to choose the cozy chair. She gets up and starts massaging Corey's shoulders. Clever indeed, she announces, are you just as clever? Becky slides her hands down Corey's arms, but quickly picks up the phone, pretending to talk to Tapega. Rosie is confused. Did anyone hear the phone ring? Nope, she didn't hear anything. Sean's annoyed. He walks over to Corey and hangs up the phone. Cory's mad, by.
Speaker 2: The way, because I was like, I had that phone and that exact phone in my house. It's like, oh I miss those.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was very confused, so are Corey? And to Panga, I just I mean, yeah, that's what I didn't get from.
Speaker 1: It was so weird.
Speaker 3: It wasn't set up in any way because you find out later after to Panga's already there and they're sitting on the couch that they had been talking every day, and then at this point it had been a Monday and a Tuesday and a Wednesday that had passed, and they tried to set it up in the first one.
Speaker 1: I think they tried to set it up in the first one that he says to her something along the lines of is it fair if I'm not there for you not to see other people? And that's kind of where they left it where then she comes and says, I'm coming to say goodbye, and he may do it. So I think they're trying to say that they're giving each other space and they can hang out with other people. But I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Yeah, and I just I guess the only reason I just didn't understand Shawn's point, Like Shawn's saying, make out with this girl, get over to Panga, which is a little odd considering how he was in the previous episode where he was like, you're going to end up together a TV believes it, And then I think that that becomes a thing where Shawn's the one who actually believes in their love even more than Corey and Topanga at time, so it was weird for Sean to be rooting, and I thought, well, I don't know. I guess maybe if it had just been clear like Topanga and I are taking a break or we you know, we said, and then it would be like and then Corey's not able to do that exact Sean saying, you have to be able to do this to try it out and know that you can move on. But I don't know why they left it kind of messy. I mean, I understand real life is messy and you have these sort of like half breakups, but I guess I kind of want to just know for the sake of whether I should be on Sean's side or not.
Speaker 3: Sean, you could have said, Cory, you went too. Panga talked about this, You're going to give each other space. How are you you have to dive into normal life like.
Speaker 2: Or even just I know you're not going to make out with this girl, but just go along so I can make out with the other girl, you know, like, just be my wingman. You don't have to do anything, but just don't you know, it's it's really it's I was thinking of the swinger scene, you know, puppy dogs and ice cream, like where you know, John Favreau is bringing down Vince Vaughan's game because he keeps talking about his breakup, which is kind of what this was like, almost verbatim, And I was like, it could have been fine for him to not be making out, but just don't.
Speaker 1: Don't bring up to Panga while they're having on this double date. You know, let me have my date.
Speaker 2: But instead Sean's kind of already making out, Like what does he care?
Speaker 3: Really, I know, it's weird. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. With your character, you're both super supportive of his relationship and on his team, but also old Sean, which was come on, dude, we just got to make out as many girls as wegan, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Corey says, you hung up the phone onto Pega Shonfire's back. I hung up on nobody. The phone has to ring for somebody to be on it. Corey is killing him. Corey retorts, I haven't done anything. Sean admits that's exactly what the problem is. You have a beautiful girl from another country who doesn't understand our language, and you haven't done a thing. And this is where I notice that writer, you have a black fingernail.
Speaker 1: I saw that too, was it? I think it was?
Speaker 4: It's a middle finger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has smashed my finger.
Speaker 4: You smashed your finger. Do you remember why you would have smashed your finger?
Speaker 2: No, I don't, but I definitely remember smashing my finger and I needed to get like if blood builds up under his fingernail hole in it? Yeah, so I remember having to having to do that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, were you smelting something? Maybe that's possible. You could have been making Are I just slammed it in a car door?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was making a wooden rose for some woman. So the girls are giggling again. They do a lot of giggling in the scene. Sean begs Corey to move faster. They're only here on a six month visa. Corey explains he's worried about to pang, but Sean puts his hand over his mouth to prevent him from saying her full name.
Speaker 4: Please for one night, I beg of you.
Speaker 3: There is no to pang, so Corey bravely takes a seat on the couch while Becky gets on Sean's lap to start making out again. Corey and Rosie still just stare at each other awkwardly. Well, I guess we should kiss now, Cory says. She responds, I suppose we could.
Speaker 4: We don't have to.
Speaker 3: So when nothing happens, she asks, do I make you sad? Corey responds no, and I think you're very delightful. I think you speak English quite well. She smiles and inches closer to him. He continues, I've just been going out with this girl for like sixteen years.
Speaker 1: No, Sean, I just sat there going I know, I know. Wow.
Speaker 3: No, you weren't, He even says in his speech about what their relationship is. Later, he calls those the lost years. It's like if you have lost years right there.
Speaker 5: You haven't been going out for sixteen years, and you're sixteen years old, and you're calling the lost years is like eight years of sixteen by the.
Speaker 3: Way, all of them being the years we have seen exactly. So Sean mid makeout, pretends to cough, I'll kill you. Corey lowers his voice to a whisper. A girl named Tapanga. He explains the story about meeting Topanga when they were eight months old in the sandbox. Rosie asks she was your first girlfriend then, and Corey nuts I'm pretty sure two weeks ago she moved to Pittsburgh, and I never got a chance to say goodbye and that I love her. He wonders if he'll ever get the chance to tell her.
Speaker 4: Will she know?
Speaker 1: Have they not spoken in these two weeks?
Speaker 4: It's like he, this is weird.
Speaker 3: He never got a chance to say goodbye and tell her that he loves her, and yet like, so then you just haven't spoken at all.
Speaker 4: You haven't addressed that with her, Like, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: I screwed that up. I really didn't think you were gonna go. I should have said goodbye.
Speaker 1: It's it also doesn't make any sense that he they've already established that he has a license and that it's a five hour drive, and Eric drives there all the time. How has he not already been there at least once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe to pay I thought maybe Topeg is mad at him for not saying a proper goodbye, Like maybe there has been some tension between them for these two weeks, that the way they ended things made her upset, Right, But I know this part, this setup is not It was bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the point of the scene is that Corey's not over to pank and he can't move on, and Sean wants him to move on, right, Yeah, so why not be very clear about that? Like ya, Topanga and I had a conversation that we can see other people, and I'm not able to because I'm still in love with her exactly.
Speaker 3: Was upset with the way I couldn't handle a goodbye, and that if I couldn't even handle a goodbye, how could I possibly handle long distance?
Speaker 1: And we decided that decided to take a break, to take a break in sea.
Speaker 2: I'm heartbroken and I'm still in love exactly, and then she shows up at the door. It would have been the same story, but it's interesting thing.
Speaker 1: I wanted to keep it to There's a thousand jokes you can do. It's it's Sean going. She said to move on, So move on to the couch. I mean, like, there's so many different ways you could have gone with it. One line and it would have made it a lot.
Speaker 3: So even more romantic if they had both agreed we have to take some space and I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be the smart thing and not be teenagers. And we can't help it.
Speaker 3: We just all and I just want to see your face. I had to see your face. So Rosie reveals that this is the most beautiful and heartfelt thing she's ever heard. Would you mind very much if I cried my eyes out just right now? Corey responds with a shaky voice. Would it be okay if I cried with you? They hug, and as they start to cry, Sean and Becky think the embrace is a makeout session. Becky notices he seems to be quite the rushy boy too. Sean smiles, I taught him everything he knows, and they go back to mauling each other.
Speaker 4: That's a long scene.
Speaker 1: It is a lot of scene. You don't really learn anything at all except that Corey's not over to Pango, which we kind of would have guessed anyway, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean taking our time machine idea. Why couldn't this scene have taken place in Chubby's where Sean is on a date alone and Corey keeps wanting to talk to Sean about his situation with Tapanga, And then.
Speaker 4: She said maybe we just need to take a break and we can't live.
Speaker 3: With in Sean's like, okay, I love you, but let's he could have been just interrupting and we get all the exposition about what the update is without it needing I mean, it.
Speaker 2: Was tell I'm so uncomfortable in this episode, like I'm just checked out, you know, And I think part of it is it feels for Sean, it just doesn't It feels.
Speaker 1: Like we've a rased, We've gone back to season two. Sean. It's just like character reset.
Speaker 2: And I've never loved to Panga, never had the connections and fought for Corey and Topanga the way I have. Or you know, it's so I think, you know.
Speaker 1: I can. I can just tell that.
Speaker 2: Like at that age, even I was probably just like, what am I doing? This doesn't make sense to me?
Speaker 1: All right, But it's a strange juxtaposition for your performance, especially because even Sue pointed it out. You might feel like you were checked out, but your timing is way better than that, Like it's getting better as a comedic. I feel like I wasn't committed. I feel like I could. I've never seen these before. Looked up and she was like, wow, writers really like hitting his stride with this stuff. So you see funny. I was watching, Man, I'm out of it. I don't care about my so with Eric in this, I was like what is Eric doing in this sense? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then we get a commercial break, and when we come back to Panga, we're in Topanga's an abandoned room, which I don't know carpet.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: I also do not recognize the room at all in any way, shape or form. Corey is sitting on the floor of Topanga's empty room, looking like a sad ben Affleck meme. And there's a knock at the window. It's Eric dressed like a police sketch, retrieving Corey for dinner.
Speaker 2: I know, And I was like, oh, on the ground floor. I didn't quite realize that for some reason. I was like, I guess I just imagined it was like the boy's bedroom recorder was climbing a tree to get up there. But I was like, oh, Eric's stand he's hovering. Yeah, Oh no, he's on the ground.
Speaker 3: So then we follow up that very long scene we just had with a scene that is at most four seconds long.
Speaker 1: Corey Dinner. Goreat dinner, Corey Dinner. Thank you. I just recreated the entire scene.
Speaker 4: There it is, you've seen it. Then we're in the Matthew's kitchen.
Speaker 3: Eric escorts Corey into the house they are both completely drenched from the rain.
Speaker 4: Eric is treating him like a lost puppy. Good boy, let's get you out of the rain.
Speaker 1: That sweatshirt to like a month ago, that gray sweatshirt didn't have They weren't moth holes, but there were holes all of it. Yeste cigarette burns all my old clothes will close.
Speaker 4: Its true, it's true.
Speaker 3: Alan looks at his despondent son with concern. I know this is tough on you, but you can't go on avoiding life. Eric chimes in, He's absolutely right. I had the same problem when I broke up with Francesca. Alan asks, who's Francesca. Eric slyly whispers there is no Francesca. I'm just trying to help. Alan whispers back, nobody wants.
Speaker 4: That, and the way you do. Okay, okay, it's so funny. Alan asks Corey.
Speaker 3: Why don't we just drive down to Pittsburgh this weekend. I need to see some suppliers and you can spend some time with Tapanga. That's a great dad. Hell yeah, what a great dad.
Speaker 4: Move. Hey, you know what I was thinking. I've actually got to go to Pittsburgh. Do you want to go with me? And you can spend some time with her and I'll get my work done.
Speaker 2: Ah great, Yeah, guess where this kind of stuff doesn't happen. Romeo and Juliet exactly.
Speaker 1: It's Romeo and Juliette Rider. It's about kid love. It is the ultimate kid love. It worked out. They're still together today.
Speaker 2: They used to rewrite it to like make it a happy end, and it's like.
Speaker 4: That's not that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the version I think they read before they read about it lasts forever.
Speaker 2: I do feel like I have a chip on my shoulder about Romeo and Juliet in the popular conception, because it's it's so misinterpreted as this like love story, this great, you know, platonic ideal of young and it's like, no, that's not the point of the play. If it was just a romance, there's tons of those stories, right. A good romance is just two people that shouldn't be together end up together, and that's great. But that's not what makes Romeo and Juliet great. What makes Roman and Juliet great is that it's complicated than that, and that they're not right, and that the parents have to learn from them and they have to learn from it. It's great.
Speaker 3: Amy says she doesn't think that's the best idea, and Corey defensively responds, you've made it really clear how you feel. My feelings are for you. I don't want you to be in pain, she explains. Corey doesn't hesitate. No, you just don't want me into Panga to be together. Amy clarifies, I don't want you to be sick over to Panga. She isn't here anymore. I think this presents a good opportunity to get to know other girls.
Speaker 4: Corey's very reasonable.
Speaker 3: My mom my mom used to say to me all the time, Danielle, if you're constantly wrapped up with the wrong person, how are you ever supposed to be available for the right person?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: And not that Amy is saying to Pega is the wrong person, but more about you can't she isn't here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Betsy is so good in this APPA.
Speaker 4: I know she is.
Speaker 2: And so when she was hired, right, she's she's like we were talking to her this weekend, and she's one of the few adults who had done sitcom yeah, because Bill and Rusty had not neither of them had ever done a sitcom before, and she was the sitcom pro and yet you know, and she was very funny in the early seasons, but like now, like here, she is just carrying a very nuanced, dramatic like through line that is tough because you know, you don't want her to be a monster, right, and what she's saying is very reasonable, and just I loved watching her.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, this is her last episode, so I would say, and it's.
Speaker 2: A drama episode.
Speaker 1: How funny is that?
Speaker 2: Like she can do drama so well, yeah, really great.
Speaker 3: So Corey fights back, I don't want to know other girls. He and Tepanga would have been together for the rest of their lives. Amy doesn't think that's true. She insists you both have to get to know other people to make a choice like that. I had relationships with four other men before I met your father. Eric doesn't want to hear that. Ma Alan is confused.
Speaker 2: I know, three, four seems like not that many. No, but I guess they were pretty young.
Speaker 4: Right, they were in their early twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they met its supposed to have met a teenager's late teens, early twenties, and so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, yeah, So Corey tells his mom, I'm sure you'll be really happy to know that I'm not going to Pittsburgh. He's realized he's been the one who's making all the calls, He's been the one writing all the letters, and he will not be the one who travels three hundred miles to be rejected and look like a fool. He concludes, if life doesn't want me into Panga to be together, then you can't fight life. He opens the back door and turns around to see to Penga standing there also drenched. Do y'all remember this, Danielle, Oh, I remember it vividly. Yes, I remember so the way the Matthew's living room was right in front of the audience, and that therefore the backyard sideyard Feenie's yard was also right in front.
Speaker 4: Of the audience.
Speaker 3: And they put up a big black screen so that I could walk down the backyard and be at the back door without the audience knowing, because they wanted the reaction, the surprise reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I remember the very first time.
Speaker 3: We did it, like Will said, you reveal me at the door, and the audience gasped a big gasp, and then they started cheering, and they cheered for a long time, and we just had to stand there staring at each other with that.
Speaker 1: I bet you know it was in the entire run of Boy Mets Rold. I bet you it was the longest, most genuine audience reaction we'd ever had, you think, so, say I do. I can't think of another moment that was because I remember all of us sitting there, because we're all in the scene at this point, and all of us just sitting there holding and holding, and when you're on a stage like that and the audience is there, five seconds feels like fifty seconds. So thirty seconds felt like minutes that we were sitting there as they were going off, and I can't think of another reaction that was that long or real.
Speaker 3: It's so funny too, because since we've been doing the I remember it vividly and I remember thinking, Wow, this was way more than I was expecting. And as we're doing the rewatch, I'm thinking, I guess it's different if you're young, because we've had to be told so much about their relationship that it it does feel to me like a little all of this feels a little anti climactic, like Okay, God settled down, guys.
Speaker 2: She's there.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Yeah, very briefly, I have a technical question the rain outside.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Because I don't remember how they did this. Was it just did they wet you down and then it was sheeting on the windows or was there a rain machine outside the door? So you're actually getting rained on outside the door.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't getting rained on. I was just all wet and sprayed down and then they had the rain on the window.
Speaker 1: That's what I figured.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what I Yeah, so I I you know, that's why my hair still looks glorious. It's like brushed back away from my face. It was like I remember being like, she needs to look like a wet rat, but we still want her to be cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like from Joey the Rat, who was cute.
Speaker 2: A sexy Joey the Rat.
Speaker 4: Where's my where's my fleece? Cropped up?
Speaker 1: Well, you are in the rain.
Speaker 2: But what choice has Corey made? What has Corey? What has Corey done in this entire episode?
Speaker 3: Well, the funny thing is that it feels like what he's just decided is I'm done with Tipega right before she shows up. It feels like he says, you know, because I mean he does he says, if life doesn't want us to be together, you can't fight life.
Speaker 4: So I'm basically that's it. I'm out. I guess I'm just gonna have to I'm sad, but I'm I'm moving on.
Speaker 2: Chooses to break up. But that's why they had to keep it vague in the beginning, because they wanted they had to highlight that he is choosing to still be able not to move on to to break up with her at this moment. And it just, you know, right at the act break there she is there, she is okay, Yeah, that makes sense because his dad does say we can go visit.
Speaker 1: Her, and he goes no.
Speaker 3: It's just also weird because in that moment, this is the first reveal that he's made the phone calls, he's written the letters.
Speaker 4: There's been no In that first.
Speaker 3: Scene with the makeout stuff, he doesn't say like and and and I've been trying so hard since she's been gone, and now I'm she's not writing me back, or we haven't talked in a few days, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's somebody else. None of that set up. It's just like, but we find it out here in the scene, right before she shows up. So there's a lot, there's a lot of this needed to be a three parter.
Speaker 1: No, it's just that first scene needs to be. If that first scene was different and just they got rid of the messiness of the first scene, it.
Speaker 4: Would really needed a rewrite to set the rest.
Speaker 1: Of this up. Absolutely. If it's just Corey on the phone leaving a message to Pega, I'm leaving another message for you. I don't know where you are, I mean something like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's more like an argument. It's more like a discussion, and it's more like Corey laying out his vision of the world. And now we get into it. Now it's just going to be monologues and debates and then everything that gets changed, the change the entire Corey to Pango relaationship.
Speaker 1: You now, after this episode, you need to believe they have been together since they were eight months old and there forever and new minutes to do it.
Speaker 2: This is the new testament of we're rewriting, We're now and to the next stage, and you have to just accept this as.
Speaker 1: The real exactly that's what they did.
Speaker 2: The whole point is that you're a kid, I know, you don't know anything.
Speaker 3: So then we go to a commercial break. We're back in the Matthew's kitchen. Tapanga asks Corey if he's going to hug her, and he does. I missed you so much, he admits. Allan and Amy both say hi to her, and Amy asks if her parents would like to come in. Eric closes the door and announces there are no parents. Amy asks your parents dropped you off? And Eric answers, I'm betting no, and you're eating licorice.
Speaker 1: I love the act's favorite. You ask for that. You must have asked for that, right I did. I think I was at the Brad Pitt eating stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of your.
Speaker 1: Career, of my career, which is I totally think it works, man.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like, yeah, because you had the toothpick in the previous episode like two episodes, and yeah, I think it's but in this case, like there's nothing for you to do now, and it makes it so much funnier if you're like, man, I'm just you know, you're basically eating popcorn, right, it's like the idea of like can't wait and that's the rest of your part for the rest of the Yes, that's it. It totally works.
Speaker 4: So funny, so uh.
Speaker 3: Tapega tells Corey she couldn't be without him. Amy asks, your parents don't know you're here, do they? Tapanga shakes her head. Well, Eric narrates no, no, they don't. Alan knows this is trouble. Your parents are going to be very worried about you, and she gets defensive. They weren't worried about me when they decided to move. Tapega told her parents how much Corey meant to her and how she couldn't be away from him. They just told her she was too young to say things like that. Tapega explains she didn't run away from her parents, She ran away to Corey. Alan turns to Amy. It just got serious now. Amy tells Tapanga she has to call her parents, and Corey tries to stop her. Her parents don't understand her, just like his parents don't understand him. Amy calmly tells Tapanga, I know you, miss Corey, but to come here without your parents' permission, that's just wrong. Corey yells, how can it be wrong if she loves me enough to do that. I'm sorry I didn't do it myself. And to Panga, let's add a little smile all right.
Speaker 2: Then this is I mean, that is like some whacked up logic.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: It's so self justified, right, Like, well, how can it be wrong if because I'm in love and if I do something out of love that it can't be wrong. Therefore it's not wrong, right, It's you know, it's like, how can it be bad if love can't be bad and I love you, therefore I can do nothing bad. It's like, this is really not healthy. This is logic, but it's too sure, but the show bends to it for the rest of I mean, this is this is the escalation that we set up. Now there's no way out.
Speaker 1: She has to go not go to Yale. They have to get married.
Speaker 2: Like you've you've changed the rules of the show. You said from now on, Corey. Is you know this love is going to defy all the adults, It's going to defy reality, and you're going to it's and that that is just and that it's like whoa, Okay, now you can do nothing wrong, but if you're doing it for love.
Speaker 3: I think the world doesn't feel yet like it's bending to it to me because every adult in the scene is still saying.
Speaker 2: Right, But the point of this episode is that every adult bends like every and then the whole reality bends.
Speaker 3: They don't bend because they agree, you're right, you're in love and you should be together. They bend because the idea that Tapanga has lived here her entire life and has grown up here, and it's only one year before she's going to move for college anyway, And so they end up agreeing kind of like, not because you should be with Corey, but because really it's there. It is a lot to ask of a seventeen year old kid to move the last year of high school and uproot their entire life if there is another solution so that she could stay. Not because I think she should stay because you and Corey should be together necessarily, but because it is an uprooting of your life and all of the adults, including Aunt Prue, because I didn't remember that Aunt Prudence actually still.
Speaker 4: Says, I do not love this relationship.
Speaker 3: I actually think this is an illness, and I don't love the exclusivity of it. I don't like any of that, but I do think you should be allowed for one more year of your life before you decide where you're going to go to college. You should be able to stay in this place, not because we're going to get you an apartment and emancipate you and change your entire life, but because you could live with me.
Speaker 2: But Aunt Prue is just like the Deis x Makina who comes in and fixes the situation. Yeah, but the whole situation, Like you do convince Alan than Amy than FIENI, You watch all the pillars fall of the adult world, and they all bend to this logic that Corey just stated, which is, how can it be crazy if we're in love? And then they're all going to try and support them, you know, and they change their minds, and the situation then just magically gets fixed by am Pru showing up and saying why she can stay with me?
Speaker 1: Okay, but like, and that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: The whole reality of Boy Meets World is no longer that the adults, that the powerlessness of childhood is the whole point of the show, and now it's no longer the point. The point is that they are empowered through their love, and they are they are better than the adults, they are better than the world, and they're going to make it no matter what. And that's just that's a romance. It's a romance story, and they're gonna and you know, now we've set ourselves up. That's why I thought maybe God, you know, it's kind of short sighted because now the show has to keep insistent for it, and it has to keep digging in deeper in order to rationalize this.
Speaker 1: But it gets even crazier because if they're juniors in high school, they're engaged in a year.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh yeah, I propose graduation going in high school graduation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're engaged here.
Speaker 2: Well, can it be crazy if you're in love?
Speaker 3: Amy begs Alan to help her here he jumps in. First of all, we are not the enemy. We understand that you two want to be together, but this is not the way to go about it. Amy tells them she's calling, and just in case you thought, well, how does she know Tapanga's number, the kitchen whiteboard actually says.
Speaker 4: To the phone number.
Speaker 3: So Corey runs to Topanga and promises no one will take her away from him. He turns to his parents and Alan's eyes we have to They embrace and kind of touch noses, and then we're in the Matthews living room to Panga now and very comfy looking sweats is drying off her hair while Corey recaps all the days they haven't spoken to each other since she's left. She explains, I could have sat and talked to you on the phone every day, but it was just the phone, and every time I hung up it got harder for me. I just tried to stay busy. He gets defensive. Does busy include going to the school dance with your new friends?
Speaker 4: Oh, Corey, calm down.
Speaker 2: I know he was trying to make out with somebody or thought Sean.
Speaker 5: It was so weird.
Speaker 4: It was like, where did he even get that idea? And why is he so angry at.
Speaker 2: The where she did? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I almost read it like he was almost doing it tongue in cheek, but maybe not, Like does that include going to your you know? Maybe?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seemed like he had to of a lilt to it, but not yet. It was a little strange.
Speaker 3: She questions, how'd you know? He admits that it was just a guess and to Pega says it was just something to do. She had a lousy time because all she could think about was Corey and the audience loudly Oh favorite writer was really stabbing himself in the eyeball there to Pega wonders, you missed a phone caller too?
Speaker 1: Where were you?
Speaker 3: Corey responds if I missed a phone calls because I was at the mailbox checking for a letter.
Speaker 4: And on cue, Sean bursts through the door. The Sparrows sister's call. They want to see us again. The audience can't see.
Speaker 3: To Pegau, it's just a random person there bodies and the audience loves this. It's a big reaction to this happening. Sean continues, Naturally, I told them you were married. Great timing, yep, all very very funny. To Pega smiles. The Sparrow sisters, they were in your mailbox, were they? Corey responds, trust me, I love you?
Speaker 4: She smiles. I know you do. I love you too. Cool.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: You also notice that your hair, your hair keeps getting wetter and then's dry and it's wet. I know.
Speaker 3: It kept it was bothering me the whole time. It's like, just stick with the fact that her hair is dry. Now, it's been enough time that her hair has dried, please, or that I tried it with a hair dryer.
Speaker 4: We do not need to keep going.
Speaker 2: Say your hair's wet. You're wearing Corey's clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: Wait, her hair's not wet enough.
Speaker 4: Maybe her hair's a mess something.
Speaker 1: It was several levels of dampness. It was so went.
Speaker 3: It went back and forth so many times. So then Sean puts two and two together. Your hair's wet, You're wearing Corey's clothes. He ran away, didn't you. She nods and he laughs. She gets that from me. Then Corey's parents walk down the stairs and Sean exclaims, hey, she ran away. But Alan and Amy aren't pleased, so Sean changes his tone, bad bad, bad girl, and then you run out of the house. I love this drive I love I love the drive by involved.
Speaker 1: Drive by Sean.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's ever a draft or that tried to keep me around for any of this discussion.
Speaker 4: And by the way, it.
Speaker 3: Would have been funny for you and Eric to be in kahoots on oh I eating popcorn. It's the meme, you guys, would have been the meme of just sitting back eating popcorn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it just I just don't know where Sean's at, Like, is he rooting for Topanga great this point?
Speaker 4: Is he not it's there.
Speaker 1: It's not about you, it's not about they did that last episode. You had an opinion, You don't need an opinion this episode.
Speaker 3: Sure, Ellen reveals they called Tapega's parents and Amy continues, and later on, Corey angrily cuts her off, and later on what she's going back to her house? Then fine, I'm going with her. Amy reminds him, you live here. Tapanga lives in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: I didn't do it.
Speaker 3: Stop jumping on me. Cory argues, I'm jumping on you because you seem happy about this. Why don't you want us to be together? I do not think she seems happy about this. She's not happy at all. And I love their argument because I can totally see myself having this conversation with Adler. Adler, I'm not the enemy here. Let's let's work together. I understand.
Speaker 4: I'm hearing you. I love writer.
Speaker 3: We've talked about it a lot in parenting, just validating your kids feelings.
Speaker 4: They do it so often in this episode. I have heard you.
Speaker 3: You want to be together, you love each other. Please stop attacking us.
Speaker 1: Wait you and talk to me like that all the time? Are you validating my feelings?
Speaker 2: Do you validate your feelings. That is right, It's okay that you feel this way. It's okay that you feel that way. It's like, it's one of the most human things that we all take for granted. Is that just having like your feelings said back to you is so powerful.
Speaker 3: You're like, great, yeah, it really, it's it's so good. Eric frantically runs into the room from the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I hear yelling.
Speaker 3: Alan tells him to go upstairs, but Eric doesn't budge. I hear yelling, I'm not involved. I'm staying so again. Now, your whole point through the rest of this is just drama, and I'm not in it.
Speaker 2: I want to watch it, which is we need the comic relief, right, we need to break it up just to help it at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Amy continues to Corey, you cannot make adult life decisions without adult life experiences behind those decisions to make them stand up valid good point. Corey simply states, I love her.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's the entire episode of That's all that matters, So you say, Amy responds, but what does love mean to you? At sixteen years old? Amy says she's been with Alan for twenty two years and she is just now beginning to realize what love really means. Eric loudly questions, was I a big surprise? They completely disregard him?
Speaker 2: Amy, does that make sense? I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't get an jor because if they were together for that meant long? Because Eric's nineteen, right, So it's not what I know.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: What is a joke that that that she's slept with somebody else? Because she's saying because she says, I'm just now beginning to understand. So is he saying like, oh, you guys still haven't made love, so I couldn't have been right?
Speaker 3: I don't or I definitely don't think it's a cheating thing. I think it's more like, if you weren't I was, I should have been born from love. Babies are born from love, and so if I was born and you didn't love him.
Speaker 4: Yet, okay, god, I must have been a big surprise. But it's a lot of it's a lot of math for ye.
Speaker 3: For I feel like there's a there's a punchier, harder joke there than was I a big surprise?
Speaker 4: But it's still funny.
Speaker 1: It's still funny. I mean, just anything Eric says, at this point, it's like a break and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, ah, exactly, You're like, thank you.
Speaker 3: Amy asks Corey to tell her what love means then, and he tells them, I haven't been together with Tapanga for twenty two two years, but we have been together for sixteen.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a lot longer than most couples.
Speaker 3: Cool, Corey reminds them, building the alternate timeline piece by piece. When we were born, you told me that we used to take walks in our strollers together around the block. When we were two, we were best friends. When we were six, Eric made fun of me because it wasn't cool to have a best friend that's a girl. So for the next seven years I threw dirt at her. So for seven of the sixteen years you were he.
Speaker 1: Was throwing Yeah, you were not together. It's a significant Fifty percent is a significant.
Speaker 3: A significant portion, especially when the other portion of it is from eight months to six.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. It's like me, it's like, well, I haven't smoked for ten years. From zero to ten, I was not a smoker. It's like that's.
Speaker 4: Exactly, yeah, exactly. It's so so funny.
Speaker 3: I like to call those the last years to Panka asks Eric, you were the one who made him throw dirt at me, and eric'scoss you were a girl noogie head, which is.
Speaker 1: Just such a weird And that's when I was like, ooh, okay, I didn't know what else to do. But in my as I'm sitting there watching him, like, how would I do that? Now, that's what I realized. I wouldn't. I would be like, we do something other than NOGGI. Heead, it's just not working for me.
Speaker 4: I thought it was kind of cute.
Speaker 3: Corey Can continues transitioning into the real timeline. When I was thirteen, she put me up against my locker and she kissed me. She gave me my first kiss. She taught me how to dance, and Corey closes with that's what I like.
Speaker 1: He was twelve, twelveleven or twelve?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, and it was.
Speaker 3: And it was both of our first kiss and he closes with that's what I think love is. When I'm better because she's here and now she won't be. Dapanga tells him why it's a good thing that Corey is the only boy she's ever loved. She gives a sweet little speech about wanting to do the things people who were in love do and with Corey instead of some random guy in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Do do you do you remember this? Do you remember Michael's talking to you about this? This was during a note session? Oh yeah, no, this was during a note session. I guess you ran by it one time and he's like, do you realize what you're saying? You're saying we want to lose our virginity together. I don't want to do it with some other random guy. And he like laid it out for you where he's like, you are saying that you guys want to eventually have sex together for the first time ever. And I remember saying it. I was like, Okay, I think she got it, but you don't need to bracket it as much as you did, Like it was right. Yeah, but I just think it's one of the few memories I have from this week.
Speaker 4: Was maybe that's why I read.
Speaker 3: I understood it so clearly when I was watching it, I was like, wow, really spelling it out.
Speaker 1: There's the way we pointed that out. Do you realize what it saying?
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, her argument is like, why would I just you know, have an I guess love making experience or just a relationship with some random guy because he happens to live in Pittsburgh as opposed to the guy who just happened to be born four blocks away from me. Like, why is this any better necessarily? Right? Like, well, we were just.
Speaker 4: Sixteen years The idea is, just.
Speaker 1: What does that make it better?
Speaker 2: Just because you know somebody for sixteen years doesn't especially if you're a kid, That doesn't mean that doesn't rationalize that you should have sex with them, right, Like, that doesn't make.
Speaker 1: Sure we've known a lot of people.
Speaker 4: For them, we would have all lived together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what they what he's trying to say is that Topanga, they've already established that Tapanga is chased in her way, so eventually she wanted to experience this with a person she had this deep spiritual connection with.
Speaker 3: Correct And the idea for Tapanga is that this is the age when that kind of stuff starts to happen. And if it's gonna happen when I'm living in another place, it's going to be with somebody I haven't had a sixteen year history with with, It's gonna be with somebody.
Speaker 2: Right, and I love that probably be better I can't like the idea to me of like the fact that we were born in the same town, come from the same class, race, you know, a subset of whatever you take categors in her mouth, I'm saying, just in life, like like I believe, like no, go out, experience, meet more people. The chances of you finding somebody great. Increase the diversity of people that you meet in the world. So explore the world, move to another city, change and you will more likely find a good person.
Speaker 1: Why do you have to just stay in your try for your small little subject?
Speaker 4: Very clear together, very clear writer.
Speaker 1: That's but that's the answer. That's what they say, that's the answer. It is No, they're just bethouse. It's faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's supernatural. I mean that's the thing. It's it's an article of faith, right, I mean that's what we're talking about, because he says love is faith, so it's just have faith in this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Eric asks, should I call the caterers? And then the doorbell rings? Any jokes? Never mind, they're here.
Speaker 3: Alan reveals it's actually Topanga's aunt to Peg gets shocked.
Speaker 4: My aunt Prudence.
Speaker 3: Corey's hopeful maybe she'll be on our side. Corey is still convinced he and to Panga are Romeo and Juliet, But to Pega says her aunt has never been in love, never been married, and wouldn't even know who Romeo and Juliet were.
Speaker 4: Sat up, sat ups thatt uh.
Speaker 3: The door opens to reveal Aunt Prudence aka Olivia Hussey nineteen sixty eight's Juliet.
Speaker 1: And there's no way our audience would know who that was.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I said.
Speaker 3: They gave a raucous applause, and that was definitely asked for applause, lights.
Speaker 4: Please, please please. The crowd gives a rowdy applause.
Speaker 3: Eric sees her and asks, how is that possible? Because my aunt looks like an elephant. Alan reminds him that's my sister you're talking about, Eric, Lass She.
Speaker 1: Does, man, just pointing at it right in her face.
Speaker 4: How is that possible? I know, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: Aunt pru strolls in and greets her niece, then refers to Corey as the young man who has her niece so smitten. Corey begs her not to take to Panga away from him. She apologizes. Her instructions are to take to Panga home with her and put her on a train to Pittsburgh first thing in the morning. To Penga begs him to help, but he's convinced everyone wants them apart except Alan. Corey asks if he's really going to let them take Tapanga away, and Alan says, I don't think I'm going to have to, and you're right right. This is where I forgot about this part where like all of a sudden, the adults kind of just crumble. Alan explains, you may have known Tapanga since you were born, but I've known your mother like forever. And what I know about your mother and the thing I respect in her the most, is that she has always put her faith in love when she sees it, he emphasizes, which is why she chose me when her parents told her not to love.
Speaker 1: Is faith?
Speaker 3: Do you love your mother? Corey answers yes, and Alan tells him, then have faith. Amy slowly strolls over to Tapanga. It would be wrong, and then she turns to Aunt Prue and finishes for Tapega to go back to.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh and changes for Betsy.
Speaker 4: That is the part I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is the big turn, is that she's been basically saying the same thing, and Pru has been saying, but then right now because of what Rusty says, She.
Speaker 1: Rusty, but Rusty specifically says he's reminding her your parents did not want me to be with you either. Yeah, and look what he says, like the way that your parents did. So I think he's reminding her this was us. Yes, we are, these two and we How great would it have been had your parents been supportive of us when we needed them to be? So let's be supportive of them now. I think that's what they were going. Yeah, and necessarily worked, but that's what they're going.
Speaker 4: But that is what they're going for.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right, Prudence has taken aback. Certainly, you're not suggesting I let some puppy love between two sixteen year old children interfere with her parents' wishes, and Amy nods, explaining that Topanga was born and raised in Philly and forcing Tapanga to Pittsburgh for one year before she has to leave again for college is irresponsible. Prudence is pleased to hear Amy calling Toapanga's parents irresponsible, so she sits down, inviting Amy to continue. Amy brings Tapanga into her arms as they PLoP down on the couch. She's known to Panga for sixteen years too, it's hard not to love her.
Speaker 4: No matter how old he is. It will be hard for him to find better.
Speaker 3: And I got emotional watching it because I remember getting emotional in the moment every time with Betsy.
Speaker 1: You could tell it was very real, that moment that you had with her. You could tell you were choked up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was choked up. Betsy was choked up.
Speaker 3: And you know, because I do remember for Betsy and I this feeling of like we love each other so much. And so the fact that she gets to say to me, even though I don't necessarily agree with their relationship to Panga, it's not because to Panga isn't good.
Speaker 4: She's great.
Speaker 3: And that part was that's part such a nice feeling. It's not that I don't love you. I think you're the best, it's just all this other stuff. So I remember getting choked up there. Amy tells Corey, you're my son. I never want you to be in pain. Prudence asked the kids if they would excuse them so she could speak to Amy and Allen alone, and they oblige. Walking into the kitchen, Alan gives them a reassuring nod and a weirdly timed one shot. Eric, still in the room, puts his feet up on the table to get comfortable.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm staying.
Speaker 3: And then we're in the Matthew's backyard. Cory and t Banker are sitting on the bench waiting for a final decision. Phoene walks outside to find them together, and they break apart from their cuddling position. Phoenie insists, this isn't the classroom, as you were. Phoene asks, even though this isn't the classroom, would you mind if I taught you a lesson?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 3: They nod, and Phoenie continues, believe it or not, there was a time in my life where I cared for someone as deeply as you two care for each other. Now, Corey surprised you believe we love each other. Phoene moves on, and for no reason, I understood My wife was taken from me, and I haven't been so deeply in love since.
Speaker 4: Cory smiles.
Speaker 1: I know I knew, you knew it, you knew it was coming. But every time he talks about it, and you just see, Lilian, this man who never never remarried, never did anything just found the love of his life and then she was gone and you don't really know how, and it's just very You put yourself in that when you're married or you have a part and you put yourself in that position and it's cut wrenching, gut wrenching.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that was such a great backstory.
Speaker 1: Oh it's awesome, and he's just so we talk about it every week, but it's so on another level acting with him where there's not a false moment ever.
Speaker 4: Ever, it also reminded me of my grandfather.
Speaker 3: Have a very lovely story about my grandfather who married my grandmother when they were in their late twenties early thirties. They left Malta on their honeymoon. Their honeymoon was taking the Queen Mary. On the last trip the Queen Mary took from Malta to where it docked, and they actually took it to New York. It was the last trip it took. They came over here. They moved to San Francisco. They had my mom and my two aunts, and then they moved to southern California. Back no one of my time about they live. They lived in San Francisco, then they moved down to southern California, raised their kids, had all these grandkids, and then at my grand My grandmother was fifty five years old and I was two when she died of leukemia, and her youngest daughter, my mom, was twenty five, and my grandfather lived to be ninety nine and a half. He just passed away a year ago. And he never remarried. He never dated, and I just always thought like, wow, what a love story. He just never you know, it was just never going to be the same. And one day I got up the courage to ask him, Papa, why didn't you ever date anyone after Grandma died? Why didn't you ever want to get remarried? Was it just because she was the love of your life? And he said get married again? No, I made that mistake once.
Speaker 1: He's like, I don't have to do that again.
Speaker 2: Oh oh.
Speaker 1: You never dated though.
Speaker 5: He never even dated, Nope, never even dated. Just had his had a garage with a workshop and worked on his totally. That's so independent. And had three daughters and was like they're grown and married and I have grandkids and.
Speaker 1: That's really yeah, No, why would I do that again?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I made that mistake once. It was like, oh oh, Okay, well I'm gonna I actually liked the one where I didn't ask and I.
Speaker 1: It was the grandma was your only love? So would I talk about that? When you see like the polygamous things, and she's ever like the idea of having multiple lives, I'm like, are you kidding? Thank you so much?
Speaker 4: Work so much.
Speaker 1: Now. My grandmother, we all had that, My grandm my mom's mom. My grandfather died when he was like fifty one, and she spent the rest of her life alone. She traveled, she saw the world. She had a bunch of friends, but never remarried. I don't think dated much. It was just it was different back then, totally.
Speaker 3: So Phoene preaches on, I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer and it may never come again, And that, my DearS, is the most important thing that I could teach you. It's revealed that Prudence, Amy and Allen are outside listening in on Phoene's lesson, and Prudence abruptly asks who is that guy? Tapanga answers, that's mister Feenie. Corey ads he knows everything. Prudence insists, no, he doesn't the audience wildly ooh that this bold statement. The prisoners were on one for this taping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I was just so lost. I just don't know. I didn't understand the tension. I didn't understand what. I just didn't. I just, yeah, what is Phoene doing?
Speaker 1: Like they wanted to, I think you're right exactly what you said at the beginning. They wanted two old school stage actors to go at it on stage, and they didn't really think about why we're going to say or why.
Speaker 2: It was just that, I mean, just create a story where they're actually in opposition to each other. They have because right now, what is the problem. The problem is that she's got to go home back to Pittsburgh and like and but everybody's really in supportive the.
Speaker 3: That Feene is actually saying, because he's flat out says the love you have, hold on to it and don't let anybody take it from you. And Prudence is like, honestly, you guys should be dating others. So that's where they're in opposition. It's just not necessarily set up as well. Phoene wan beg your pardon, She explains, I don't know that I appreciate what you're teaching these children. She compares Phoene to being just as irresponsible as to Pang his parents. In the situation, Phoene stands his ground. If you choose to question my opinions, then you disregard thirty eight years in the public school system where I have borne the responsibility of those opinions for thirty thousand students, none held in higher regard than mister Matthews and Miss Laurence. Corey is shocked again you like me, Phoene tells him to stay out of it. Prudence responds, the only thing I presume is that you are as verbose as you are snappy. Phoene, trying to have a less verbose comeback, settles on, well, then there we are.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a great None of it makes any sense. It's totally unnecessary, but it's.
Speaker 2: A great response. And I like the aside where you know, Corey says you like me. I love that little bit. Yeah, but I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 1: I don't know what there'sides him raising thirty thousand are helping me. Thirty thousand kids have anything to do with Corey and Tipanga being in love. Well, I hate hearing Phoene be defensive too, Like, I don't think he should ever have to be defensive like Phoenie.
Speaker 4: You know, I should understand his point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just confident, like he's just he's all known.
Speaker 1: So I also, if Aunt Prudence lives in town so she can stay in school, why not give a backstory where they've known each other?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Also, wouldn't they have seen each other at Chubby's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean exactly the one restaurant in town. I mean something, Oh, lovely, Prudence, you're back, something to give them some kind right they have?
Speaker 2: They have a Shakespeare club together, and they hate each other. They're on opposite sides of every play.
Speaker 1: I'm tamed and tamed and tamed, and yet the shrew is still here. Yeah, something like that. There's so many things you can do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Amy tells Stefanga that her aunt has something to tell her.
Speaker 3: Prudence reveals I've spoken to your parents, and while I don't condone the intensity or exclusivity of this relationship, I also cannot condone the actions of my sister and brother in law.
Speaker 4: The verdict has been reached.
Speaker 3: If Tapanga would like to stay in Philadelphia, she's welcome to stay with her and Aunt Prudence while she finishes the remainder of high school. After Prudence finishes her spiel, Phoene asks, I'm Topenga, gives her aunt a giant hug and relief, then embraces Corey, knowing they'll be able to stay together.
Speaker 4: The audience gives them a.
Speaker 3: Huge round of applause, and Amy and Allen gaze at the two with happiness as they hold each other lovingly.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 2: No tag, no tag, nothing, I mean, it's yeah, it's a yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys liked it.
Speaker 2: Though you liked this episode, you think.
Speaker 3: I overall did not. I agreed with every point you made, especially the preu stuff, and yet.
Speaker 4: Somehow I still I still kind of enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how I look at it too. I like, again, I liked it. If we once again have to just say you have to be in on this now, you just have to accept this is what it's going to be, then it was good actors. Honestly, you know, on one small stage, it seemed like most of it took place in the living room. It was very like that. I enjoyed. I enjoyed seeing everybody act the adults getting a chance to act. Betsy killing it stuff like that was was great, but no, iget exactly what Danie I said. I agree with every point you made because they're all accurate, but I guess I have to just be like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's kind of, you know, it's kind of like the montage that you gave us crap for falling in love with. I guess we are now a romance show. We are love story love Sorry, and there you go.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot.
Speaker 1: Com and we have merch Romeo and Juliet was actually a tragedy March.
Speaker 4: Podmeets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all. I've dismissed. Podmeats World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensenkarp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Sudbaksh Producer Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Isle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com