Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio, previously on Ridiculous History. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous his Stories. Think who has always so much for tuning in. Let's give a big shout out to our super producer, mister Max the Tycoon Williams. I am ben Bullen joy does always with the man, the myth, the legend, a tycoon in his own right, Mister Noel Brown Noles. We've had We've had a heck of a time with this roller coaster series, right, A lot of oh no, no, it's okay, we'll allow it. Yeah, no ups and downs.
Speaker 2: To be sure, I think we've roughly reached approaching modern times, but not not not not quite. We still have a little bit of history again.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, just like the experience of writing a roller coaster, we're having form follow function, or form and function be interrelated. Because our previous episode, part one was kind of a up the hill, all right, and now we are at a titular point. Now we are at an apex of roller coaster history because you see, with the dawning of the world's first legit roller coaster, Tycoon La Marcus. I just love to say his name uh, he triggered and arms race amidst the roller coaster manufacturers of the world. I mean, within just a few months after he becomes the roller coaster king of Coney Island, people start moving in on his territory. That's right.
Speaker 2: I mean he held a virtual monopoly on coasters, you know, at least in this country at Coney Island. But enter Charles Alcoke, who had built a kind of more of a scenic people mover type situation, a slow scenic railroad. The connected the ends of the tracks in a continuous loop to make it more of a pleasure cruise.
Speaker 1: I like that, a pleasure cruise people mover, a people moving pleasure cruise. Yes, so this coaster gets close to the record set by Thompson Switchback Railway, but Philip Hinkle makes a breakthrough in eighteen eighty five. His coaster has an elliptical route and a powered hoist that pulls cars back to the top of the first hill, and because of the speed at which it moves, it's a more exciting ride than the relatively slow moving switchback. And at this point, to be clear, no one has beaten that original train powered scenic railway from episode one that ended at like sixty five miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Right, And when I say we're roughly approaching modern coaster times, what I mean is this technology in a lot of ways is still kind of how things are done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And like you said, these a lot of these are what we will call simple machines with further pieces of technology added on top of them. At this point, all of them, at least all the rides at Coney Island are leveraging gravity to work. They're just approaching gravity and interesting ways, there's a ride called the Steeplechase by a guy named George C. Till You, which is an interesting last name. I wonder what the etymology of that is. I don't know. It's spelt like it's spelled like t I L you, so it's like until you with me again.
Speaker 2: I don't know this this ride actually, you know, Steeplechase being a famous is it a specific horse race or is it just a style.
Speaker 1: Of horse racing.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if it's like a particular event, but either way, Steeplechase is a horse race scenario, and this one kind of mimic that with these mechanical horses that descend it on kind of a wavy track, and it was very very popular amongst early coaster heads.
Speaker 1: I also like coaster heads. I think it's steeplechase, isn't that the one where the horses have to jump over obstacles, like they don't run, and they run and they jump over different fences or different ditches, So it kind of mimics what you would experience on a roller coaster. It's an obstacle race in athletics, but it is named after the.
Speaker 2: Steeplechase in horse racing, which, to your point, Ben was involved jumping over hurdles and things like that. But a steeple chase in like an Olympic type event, involves going through water, you know, jumping over hurdles and all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So this was named for the horse race, the original version of a steeple chase, because of the ups and downs, and there were there were other things like the cannon coaster. Yes, the cannon coaster is a little bit dystopian. Already. There is a gap in the rails. Ooh, yeah, that seems a little bit dangerous. Well, often often the cars made it across the gap. Yeah, when one would hope it would work out that way for you. There was also something called the mystic screw, which also sounds a little dirty. Maybe my mind is just in the gut of perpetually and this trick it was a yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: This involved a kind of a helix type pattern and then the writers would descend around seventy five feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Pass around this time, our friends of Encyclopedia Britannic and note people start experimenting with something called inversions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and whenever you are are looking at, you know, guides for roller coasters written by coaster heads, inversions are a big feature that are always you know discussed, like how many inversions does a ride happen, what's their height? And also things like corkscrews that might send you kind of circling. It's not a full inversion exactly. It's more of like a sideways kind of like inversion.
Speaker 1: I always thought loops loops were so cool because it is just from a physics standpoint, it's such an interesting experiment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like taking a bucket of water and swinging it upside down over your head. It's not gonna come out because of you know, mother gravity. Just hold that holding that stuff in and early inversions didn't even have lap bars or what do you call them, like, you know, harnesses.
Speaker 1: We were literally held in place.
Speaker 2: By gravity, which we know is gonna work unless the coaster fails or something, you know, and then you just PLoP right out.
Speaker 1: Gravity does its thing once again. Yeah, yeah, because the one constant force in all of these things, one thing that never breaks is gravity. So you just have to stay on gravity's good side. It doesn't care about you. It's what it's gonna do. It's very focused on it. It's like one thing that it's good at. So these loop track rides, people had tried them in Paris before in the middle of the eighteen hundreds, and the rides were similar to the Bucket of Water example from earlier. The rides are based on a toy for kids that keeps a small ball rolling on a loop track without falling off. However, at least in Paris, people found these inversions uncomfortable and dangerous, and so the idea was scrapped until eighteen ninety five, when Lena Beecher installs something called the Flip Flap Railway at Paul Boyton's Sea Lion Park and Coney Island. Their main attraction was sea lions, but they also of course had what they called the Railway. It was uncomfortable, it was still dangerous, but it had this big twenty five foot circular loop that became wildly popular and went viral, as we would say in the parlance of today, and it shut down after only a few years. And it was so potentially dangerous that a lot of folks would just show up to watch others ride it, which I can relate to again with my kind of building back up my courage to ride the coasters. If I go to an amusement park and haven't been in a while, I will sometimes just kind of watch a few of the coasters to kind of build up my moxie, you know, to go for a ride myself. Yeah. I think people found the excel the slight acceleration, g forces, gravitational forces uncomfortable. Oh yeah, well it kind of is a little bit so, right. So this is where we get to a guy named Edward Prescott who builds something called the loop de loop.
Speaker 2: And that is sort of the stand in parlance for these kind of inversions. You know, people will often call them a loop, the loop, uh, and that this is also a Coney Island, had a bit of a gentler slope, more oval shaped design, and was much better in engineered and constructed then the flippity flap.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I know it's not the flippity flap, but I like that better. Oh sure, let's treat the phrase flip flap with the gravity it deserves.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, jeez, the but it'd still be quite quite a few more decades seventy five years in fact, before a very fully successful vertical loop was was actually created.
Speaker 1: And because it had a very low seating capacity, the loop. The loop itself doesn't doesn't succeed long term. It's not around now, but for the for the fans of coasters, for the roller coaster folk, it is the coolest thing in town, or indeed in the world, until a new challenger emerges in this arms race for adrenaline, something called drop the Dip, later to be called rough Riders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a little better. But rough Riders. It makes me think of DMX. Wasn't he the rough rider to the head of the rough Riders crew.
Speaker 1: It makes me think of Roosevelt.
Speaker 3: I gotta jump in here. Remember when we were doing our Model Trains. Episode I talked about the terrible idea of a third track roller coaster.
Speaker 4: This is it. This is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, third track being a power rail that delivers electricity to the coaster. But also, as we know if you've ever been on like a subway station, those tracks are way out of reach. They're down, you know, in the in the pit kind of of the of the subway track. But they are very clearly labeled do not touch the third rail because you can get a deadly shock.
Speaker 1: Exactly. And the issue here is not necessarily the mechanics at play. The issue here is the human operators. Because folks operating the rough rider would try to deliver the maximum amount of fun, thrill and adrenaline to their passengers, which meant they pushed it too hard. They pushed the machine too hard, They used full power, even when folks were already going down, taking the power leveraging the power of gravity. In nineteen ten, one guy operating rough riders, he took his train around a bend just way too fast. He was all gased, no brakes. He threw two cars loose from the ride. Sixteen passengers flew out over the nearby surf avenue. And four of them died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Britannica points out that these kind of upping the ante here in terms of the danger quotient did force some of that oversight that we were desperately lacking. And obviously it takes a real gnarly tragedy like this, you know, for folks to see the need for intervention at this level. And so you started to see things like lap bars, which got passengers in place right before that, like I was saying, you were just in place by the forces of gravity and the g force of the vertical loop themselves. Train derailments, however, did kind of continue, though they became a lot less common after some of these, you know, safety measures were put in place around nineteen twelve when John Miller, who was the chief engineer for our boy LaMarcus, invented something called the under friction wheel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was sort of a big wig or as Max wanted to say, a large hair piece in the I appreciate in the roller coaster industry. Yeah, the under friction wheel. Before we get to that, I got to tell you guys, here's the story of how I almost died on the American screen machine. It's due to a lap bar. So the lap bar in these things works, as you know, if you're seated two by two, the lap bar is supposed to go down sort of like on your crotch area, the bend between your hips and your thighs, and as long as people relatively the same size, you're gonna be all right. I was writing with an adult friend of the family who was, you know, a grown, a grown woman much larger than me as a young Ben Bolan, and the lap bar clanked down on her but didn't quite reach our young, our young protagonist. And so thank god, the American Scream Machine did not have loop de loops. It just had this old creaky wooden thing where the first seri downhills, though it's got some serious downhills, and I was replicating the experience of pre lap bar people because I kid you not, guys. There was a clear like six inches or so between my body and the lap bar, so I was almost out of the car well.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem with community lap bars, because again you're you're limited by the largest person in the scenario.
Speaker 3: I actually have a follow up on this because this is how my friend David almost killed me on American Scream machine in the exact same roller coaster. Really, my friend David is a daredevil. He like, you know, I'm afraid of heights. He has no fear of heights whatsoever. Sure, and we were teenagers, probably like fifteen sixteen years old. We're at six Flags, and what he would do is he would always sit up as far as he possibly could and see if people would not notice that he's just like making it so the bar can't go all the way down.
Speaker 4: It was like it was like a Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 1: We were there.
Speaker 4: The person that didn't really check, and so.
Speaker 3: Then we're rolling out, he stands up completely out of his seat. Does to show me how bad it is. I'm just like cranking down in the seat, Belty Calf. But I got the last laugh because a year later we went to Cedar Point and I made him right at top fill Dragster and I actually watched that man cry before it went off, and he started to cry.
Speaker 1: You'll love to see it. Good to be in touch with your emotions, I guess. But but yes, so this idea here and also out to everybody who survived a roller coaster where you almost died. And Carol, if you're hearing this, I forgive you. John Miller's invention of the under friction wheel is a massive game changer because it keeps the train bolted down beneath the track with a third set of wheels. So if gravity, if you get on the bad side of gravity, you have an opposing force attaching your car to the rail, kind of like clamping something. So like the previous ones had maybe side friction wheels that were meant to function kind of as insurance of ice rolling on the inside or the inner edges of the track. But this is this is just a much better answer. It stops so many accidental derailments. Our guy John Miller is also responsible for others safety innovations, like a safety chain lift, which means, okay, I didn't know this, but it makes sense. Back in the day roller coasters rolling up that first till that we were talking about, sometimes they didn't make it. There's real backwards that's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I mean, was there any safety measure in place to stop them from just like slamming to a halt at the end when they dropped back.
Speaker 1: Down hopefully after the first few times. I would hope after the first few anyway, there's a weird thing that occurs here because this progress in terms of safety also enables these absolutely mad cap roller coaster engineers to get even more extreme with their designs. You know, a side friction wheel had limited velocity and you couldn't plunge at certain inclides, but this under friction wheel allows you to go even faster, even higher and lower. And Miller himself is kind of this crazy it's kind of pushing the envelope of physics when you think about it. The Russian mountain builders would be astounded by this because they would be like, literally in the ice age of roller coasters, that joke is worth it.
Speaker 2: It's more than worth it pen and you know, and you know, you really started to see that arms rays kind of playing out where people were trying to top, you know, existing coasters so they could be known as the fastest, the scariest, whatever it might be. And Miller actually really pushed the envelope of physics itself with his Jack Rabbit attraction at Kennywood Park, which had a significantly precipitous dive into kind of like almost like a valley, and then his Cyclone in Cleveland, Ohio, which used the cliffs and gorges, natural attractions at the appuritus springs to create these kind of v shaped, you know, paths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is where we get to the golden age of roller coasters, and once more, credit where it's due. We want to shout out American Experience WABPPS dot org. You can find it. This is a relatively comprehensive history. By the nineteen twenties, says American Experience, the roller coaster street name the scream Machine was making more screams than ever before. The US had like maybe fifteen hundred separate roller coasters. Sure, they're all chasing hyperbole and superlatives like one is one hundred and thirty eight feet high, the fastest goes sixty one miles an hour. And there were more and more complex iterations of the basic principles tiger curves, steeper drop spirals, figure eights that would just blow your mind. There was even once upon a time, we talked about this an episode of car stuff. Once upon a time in Los Angeles there was an auto coaster, which was a roller coaster you rode in your car. Yikes, I don't know about that, guys. Just now. It didn't work out. Don't really see those too much these days, if at.
Speaker 2: All, I'm going to say not at all, because I've certainly never heard of one outside of this. It was, like you said, Ben, consider the golden age of the roller coaster specifically, though, you know, like we have our ice age and all that stuff in our bronze age.
Speaker 1: This was the wooden age. M yeah, yeah, And this is this is sort of the grandfather of things like the American scream machine. These are the ones that are clattery and jittery. They're lurching, they're they're made pretty much entirely of wood. Perhaps the most famous is the Coney Island Cyclone, which is built in nineteen twenty seven by Vernon Keaton and Harry Baker. Even notables of the day like Charles Lindbergh would get off this ride and say that is actually scarier to me than flying in an airplane. Eighty five foot drop, sixty miles an hour. This is the gold standard for most of modern roller coasters. It truly freaks.
Speaker 2: Me out the idea of something like that being held with such force, you know, of being exerted on it on the regular, being held together by like nails and boards. I don't understand how they don't just come crashing down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Woodies, right, Ben, the Woodies, that's right. Yeah. And the King of the Woodies is a guy named Harry Guy Traver, A guy named Harry Guy Traver. Guy's actually his mill named. In the nineteen twenties, he starts building his own version of cyclone across the nation, and his most famous creation is the cyclone at Canada's Crystal Beach Park. At this point, just a context new. You know, in the early days, they were calling a lot of these rides scenic railways wherever they were. Now they're calling them cyclone like it's not necessarily patented, they're not cyclones or guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this particular cyclone, like you said, Ben, at Crystal Beach Park up there in Canada, actually had a staff nurse on hand in case people experience any kind of medical issues as a result of riding the ride. Another one in the same kind of era and style was something called the aeroplane at a place called Playland Amusement Park in Rye Beach, New York, which was constructed with assistance from Frederick Church. The airplane really relied on this first kind of corkscrew kind of spirally dropped that drops so steeply with such forests that riders were slammed against the side of the cars. And again we see that with things like the remaining woodies that like you know, the Great American Scream Machine in six Flags, or some of the old style coasters at Coney Island. They are really jarring and they do kind of tend to give you a little bit of shell shock just from having your head banged around. And I guess this was a feature, not a bug here where they described that as simulating the experience of being in a plane.
Speaker 1: Crash, which doesn't sound particularly fun to me. M h true, right, And I wonder whether there are now VR plane crash simulations. I wonder if people do that for fun. Maybe I don't doubt that it exists.
Speaker 2: Ben, And I was just talking to my kid about again our trip to Disney World a couple of years ago. One of my favorite rides there was like this gravity simular later of like what it feels like to be in a spaceship launch and it literallyre just in this pod. And that's I think the same technology that's used to train you know, up and coming astronauts how to kind of deal with g's G forces. It really does feel like your whole body is being compressed against the back of your seat, and it's very claustrophobic. And you know, for being a pretty old attraction there at Disney, I found it to be one of the most terrifying of any of the things that we wrote.
Speaker 1: I also think what we're learning is the older, the older rides are going to inherently be more terrified. And especially if you have knowledge of the history of roller coasters, you might ask yourself, well, hey, guys, that's all good and well, but why aren't any of these older rides around now? Why have so many disappeared? Well, when we think about the timeline, we see the same thing that affected so many other stories of Americana, and the same the Great Depression came, the Great Depression rolled in and disposable income rolled away. Roller coasters were part of this. With the onset of the Depression and World War Two right after that, people just didn't have money to spend on roller coasters. They were busy trying to you know, buy food and water and sleep indoors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this came up on a recent episode as well, I mean it always you know, you never expect the Great Depression, but it does tend to throw a wrench in any kind of leisure time activities, and folks that have really liked invested their their livelihoods into these types of attractions or these types of businesses.
Speaker 1: Is going to be a sort of a slump inherent. Yeah, So a lot of these things, even the legend God to your Ones get torn down. The Traverse cyclone at Crystal Beach Park is torn down in forty six. Nineteen forty six, the Cody Island Tornado goes defunct. And by the nineteen sixties, as a result of all these difficult times, the US went from having fifteen hundred roller coasters to more like two hundred. So it's a heck of a rate of attrition. And it turns out that when we look at the roller coaster today, not just in the United States but around the world, we have to thank Walt Disney because he got super into roller coasters. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very often credited as kind of rescuing the concept of the roller coaster, which you know, it's credit where credit is due. He absolutely did that, and he also made them more accessible by not leaning so hard into the absolute death defying kind of thrills of them all, but making them more these sort of like very thoughtfully designed experiences, you know, and themed like for example, the Matterhorn bob Sled ride, which it holds up man. It's super cool and a little bit scary. There's some parts where you know, you look like you're about to jump off the tracks, and then this yetti swoops in and there's all of this animatronics around it.
Speaker 1: So it's more than just a coaster.
Speaker 2: It really is almost like riding a high speed like Haunted House attraction or something.
Speaker 1: There's also a huge key innovation that the Disney crew makes. The matter Horns tracks are not built of wood, they're built of steel, so the ride smoother, quieter, it feels less threatening. And this idea of making coasters out of steel brings the industry back to life. It resurrects it. Disneyland's massive success encourages all sorts of people dreaming of the coaster game to open their own theme parks in different regions of the US and the layer of the world. There's Six Flags, which is you know everywhere. Now it's a franchise. We have one in our fair metropolis of Atlanta, King's Island near the Natty Bush Gardens in Tampa Bay, Florida, And then there are more and more. It seems, even when the economy is not doing so well, a lot of these places survive. At least twenty thirty brings us another great depression.
Speaker 2: So in the nineteen sixties a company called Arrow who actually designed the Matter Horn for Disney.
Speaker 1: They hired a guy named Ron.
Speaker 2: Tumor who introduced a super successful line of rides that could be recreated, like the Flume ride, for example, which everyone knows is like sort of the log ride where you go down like one single you know, incline and get splashed.
Speaker 1: Nice. Where are you guys at Nolan max on splash rides.
Speaker 2: If it's hot, I'm cool with it. It's like a really really hot It's a nice little kind of you know, relief a little bit. I go to water parks to get wet.
Speaker 3: My problem with like water rice and world and like amusement parks a lot of times is like I know, people like, oh, we're sandals. I'm like, I'm walking around all day. I don't I have like comfortable socks on and coortle shoes on.
Speaker 4: That stuff doesn't do well when it gets wet.
Speaker 3: But granted, if it's like ninety five degrees outside, okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't go to water parks, and I'm concerned that you do because of all the pea.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of pea.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pea.
Speaker 3: Now I don't like I don't like water parks because water parks you have to climb up those stairs and being afraid of heights.
Speaker 4: It's awful.
Speaker 1: Yet, yeah, I feel you, man, Let's start a hot air balloon amusement park.
Speaker 2: It's sort of out of this, Yes, it's sort of out of this. You are you are really on this hot hout for these air balloons. Ben Hey. There is a park that's probably outside of the scope of this particular episode, but it's called Action Park in New Jersey, I often referred to as Class Action. It is a water park that notoriously contained very poorly designed rides that would just shoot people or water slides that would just shoot people out into oblivion, you know, to be injured in various ways. And one of the reasons apparently that this was so common was that the designs of the ride, or the designers of the ride did not seem to have sufficient knowledge or training in physics and engineering.
Speaker 1: Just shoot them and go with God, see what happens. There's the Great American Revolution ride at six Flags Magic Mountain, which is over in Valencia, California, that goes out in nineteen seventy six, and it redefines the looping coaster game. Now it's just called Revolution and it had a tear drop loop. The technical term would be a clothoid or clothoid loop. This was designed by a German engineer, Anton Schwartzkrop, and the company that made this roller coaster is still around to this day. They're called Intimate AG and so they The innovations these guys made brought more and more people back to amusement parks. And today if you go to any modern major amusement park, like anything that's not just a bunch of carnies in a parking lot, you're going to see some kind of looping coaster. And there was another arms race to get the maximum number of loops or inversions in a single ride. I'm thinking of stuff like Dragon Con and Spain Monte Macaia in Brazil. And there's one quote This is probably one of my favorite quotes from the research that John Allen, President of Philadelphia. Toboggan said this, you don't need a degree in engineering to design roller coasters. You need a degree in psychology. Noel, can you help us unpack that? What does he mean?
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, because I mean a lot of it is about weaponizing psychology in a way that she us maximum thrills. We all talked about how oftentimes the scariest part is the anticipation.
Speaker 1: Is that click, click, click, up the hill.
Speaker 2: Toboggan goes on to say, a roller coaster is as theatrically contrived as a broadway play. These advancements in roller coaster technology and design tech included a lot of very specific engineering touches that really played with things like your expectations, things like parabolic hill shapes where you couldn't see what was coming around the next bend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. So it's always it's like Alfred Hitchcock said, right, the monster off screen that you can't see is always going to be scarier than the one on screen. So not knowing what's coming next really messages with your expectations your head. We also know that the wooden coasters or woodies, which are you know, technologically speaking, they're not as advanced as steel coasters. They are now benefiting from the power of nostalgia. Ah yeah, hell of a drug indeed, right, And these these wooden coasters, the woodies, become instrumental in the rebirth of roller coasters as a cool, fun thing. And now they're starting to be called mega coasters at this point, around like the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Right, and you had mega coasters such as Racer, which was a John Allen design that actually contained dual coasters, so I believe these would have been side by side, right, kind of going in tandem. Yeah, and then you also had the Beast of nineteen seventy nine fame, which had the title.
Speaker 1: Of longest coaster in the world.
Speaker 2: Both of these, the Beast and the Racer, were at King's Island Amusement Park were.
Speaker 3: And are because I've been a couple of times in my life, I've written both of these.
Speaker 4: The Racers Racers Cool.
Speaker 3: Racer is fun because no matter what, you're just automatically everyone is just talking massive ship to the other car. But they don't always They used to run at one part where one was going backwards. One was going forwards. I don't know if they do that all the time now, but The Beast is to the state the best roller coaster I've ever written.
Speaker 4: It's been that.
Speaker 3: That first sentence you don't need a degree in engineering, you need a degree in psychology, is like that because you just walk up. The Beast is at like a part of the park where it's just woods all behind it, so you have no idea what it is.
Speaker 1: You look at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have no idea in so long, and it's like a it's like a story, basically just writing a story, and it's literally like all you can do on that roller coaster is just laugh and joy.
Speaker 4: It is so amazing.
Speaker 3: It's despite its age, it's still like, especially for a wooden coaster, Oh really smooth. A lot of these hold up, yeah, if it's don't fix it, yeah, I mean, like obviously they have to spend a lot of wooden coaster is one of the big drawbacks wooden coasters. You have to spend a lot of money mainta yeah, replacing the tracks. But the Beast is one that's like, I mean, it's been a number of years since I've written it, but it was it's about it's probably the number one roller coaster in my list. I got about three. I got three in Tier A. Let's go, oh yeah, let's let's let's get to that at the end. I'd love to hear what all our favorites are. I've got a top three in my head right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the uh, the as we're getting to that, let's uh, let's you know what, Let's let's hurry up and get to that part right now. What you need to know, folks, without getting two into weeds, is that the arms race for the superlatives continues. The titles for the fastest, biggest, longest coaster are an issue of hot, intense debate every single year. It's just sort of it's sort of similar to the arms race for skyscrapers, you know what I mean, everybody's trying to build the tallest building. And honestly, if you're hearing this, congrats on the bergs Dubai. But should we count the antennas at the top as part of the height? Max says no, Maxican in thumbed out, I don't think so either. Skyscraper episode on the way, we're just yeah confessed it. Yeah, so okay, So we know this, right, like the latest crop of coasters. Every time they come out, they're trying to find at least some specific thing that they are the best at, the biggest, the fastest, the most loops, you know, the fewest injuries.
Speaker 2: Indoor coasters, you know, indoor coasters. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have these. First of all, you have suspended coasters like the Xcel R eight nineteen eighty four and six Flags Astro World in Houston. You have stand up coasters, which well, there's one called the King Kobra, but there is one at six Flags that's called the Viper maybe or something like that, but it's there's a stand up coaster at the No, it's the Scorcher, the Georgia. Scorcher has six laves over Georgia as end up coaster, and those are really cool. They're fun because it really feels like you're like flying.
Speaker 1: Don't we have the Superman one too, where that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, yeah, I find that one to be difficult because I just get kind of claustrophobic when I'm like like like locked in in that way, and so I'm got a little stressful.
Speaker 3: It's really restraining. I find I like scorture. But the one that like the problem with stand up coasters just in general is they don't handle g forces very well, right, so you either have to tune it back a lot or you get a little rough and scorture is like kind of in the middle where it's not it's really fun. But I've readen other stand up coasters, I've rit bigger ones than that. I'm like, oh my god, this is horrible.
Speaker 1: It's a tricky one, you know what I mean. It's kind of like building a three willed vehicle, right, but there's like it's possible, right. But also, uh, I love the Superman thing just because despite all the restraints you have to wear, it replicates flying. It does. I wrote it once. And it's also really really short.
Speaker 2: I remember it being obscenely short, which probably for good reason because it is so restraining.
Speaker 1: Can we do this?
Speaker 2: I just I remember the first coaster that really, you know, blew my mind was the Batman Ride. Batman the Ride, which I believe debuted at six Flags Great America in Illinois, but has been at six a staple of six Flags.
Speaker 1: Over Georgia, you know, for many, many years.
Speaker 2: And that's one where I guess it's called an inverted coaster where your legs are kind of dangling. And if I'm not mistaken, somebody got killed on the Batman ride at Six Flags because they tried to get their hat from this sort of cordoned off area, and I believe the the you know, one of the cars swooped down and they were decapitated, if I'm.
Speaker 1: Mistaken, And then someone on a ride called z Force in six Flags broke their neck. You can find on coaster pedia dot at a fairly comprehensive list of deadly roller coaster accidents. To be fair to the industry, these are isolated cases rare. They're very rare. It can sound scary, and part of that, I would argue is a little bit of like black bag psyop stuff in some of the marketers. But to be absolutely transparent, everybody building roller coasters, everybody charging you to ride one, they want you to be as safe as possible. They want you to have an amazing time. That's why there are like one hundred and twenty different roller coaster operations opening across the world by the end of the twentieth century, about half of those fifty percent or in the United States. Because I ask you, despite the Russian and French origin story, what is more American than a roller coaster as a ride? Saying like, I want to feel like I might die for you know, two three minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a sort of cheating of death aspect to it that that does have.
Speaker 1: A certain appeal.
Speaker 2: But you're right, you know, despite its origins, it has become a pretty uniquely American thing. Well, you know, not to say that there aren't cool coasters in other parts of the world.
Speaker 1: There certainly are. Do you guys wanna as we as we close out our series on the history of roller coasters, thanks again to our research associate Max, do you guys wanna tell us all a little bit about your favorite coasters? Each said you have a top three? I do?
Speaker 2: I think for me, my number three would be Batman, the ride at six Slives over Georgia. Why don't we maybe go round robin until we get to our number ones?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with that one. Play That one's so much fun. It's also a great one that if you're there on a night or it's slow and there's not many people there that you can just binge that one.
Speaker 1: They'll like, they'll let you ride it a couple of times. Yeah, sure that one.
Speaker 3: That one's great for that I'm gonna go with at a theater point. There's this one called Maverick and it's a weird roller coaster because it doesn't have chain lift or anything like that. So it's like you were was in constant motion the entire time and as like it was the first ninety five degree drop, which is a weird thing.
Speaker 4: Like I'm Amurican on my that's not great but crazy of an idea, and I wrote it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen because you're going underneath the track that you were just on, but it just whips and turns and it's just this beautifully scripted written roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Very cool, Ben, you got a number three fave. I don't really have, you know, I don't really have a top list of roller coasters. Again, it's like the ice cream comparison in episode one. You know, like if they're.
Speaker 2: There, I'll go stand out in your memory, whether it be childhood.
Speaker 1: But I know, almost dying, like to the ice cream thing, I don't wake up and then immediately travel the one American scream Machine just because I conquered death on that one, which is the inherent appeal of roller coasters. I wouldn't say it's a great coaster by any means, uh, But I fought it and I won.
Speaker 2: Sonumber three well, okay, And speaking of fighting against great adversity and winning as the underdog, my number two would be the Goliath at six Flags over Georgia, which is quite long and very high, with incredible scenic views of the surrounding kind of wooded areas in that part of Atlanta, and some serious drops, and every time I ride it, I have to get over my fear of heights because it is massively tall, and at night when they do the fright Fest or whatever Fright Night I guess it's called at six Flags. It is a wild one to ride at night when you can see the full moon up in the sky ahead of you.
Speaker 1: It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: So I was actually changing up my list kind of on the fly right here, so that I talked about the Beasts and how which I love that one, and I was going to talk about Goliath. It's my number two, so I'm going to change it for the sake of having more and talk about Goliath Daddy, which is Magnum x L, which is the first ever mega coaster in the world. I think it's the late eighties at Suit Point. It's basically it's very similar to Billie. It's not the same script, and it's nowhere smooth as Goliath is, but it's like it was one of the coolest things about Cedar Point, which I gush about it if you let me do it for too long. There's so many records were set at that park, and it looked it was the first two hundred foot roller coaster in the world, and you can still ride to this day. It's just there's just now two other roller coasters taller than it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because again it's it's like the skyscraper race. They're also what are they called giga roller coasters. A giga coaster Gego's three hundred and three three hundred to three hundred and ninety nine feet it is, which is massive. And I think there's what we're talking about too, is this nomenclature. There's also the hyper coaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I said mega Hyper's two hundred to three hundred right, right, So.
Speaker 1: We're throwing at the terms here too.
Speaker 2: You can tell Max is a real coasters in terms like script you know, I mean, come now, you've done your homeworks there.
Speaker 1: Magnum XL is A is a hypercoaster. There are giga coasters as as you mentioned. If I had to choose a second one, you know what, I'm thinking more in terms beyond just orthodox coasters. I really like the bungee rides where they launch you out and you're attached to a rope. No, no, thank you. I don't like those straight drops, but I like the I like that. I like the big swings. Those are terrified pasts.
Speaker 3: I've read it one time in my life, and I will never not regret you.
Speaker 1: Came through the fire. I'm proud of you. Max. All right, So then that brings us to what number ones? Just their number ones? Yeah? Max, you want to go first?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Sure, I can go first, because, uh Ben, you were talking about giga coasters, so of course I'm want to talk about the first giga coaster ever made, Millennium Force at Cedar point three hundred foot. The coolest thing about Millennium Force, well, ay, one thing that's really cool about that is it has probably the fastest chain I've ever ridden, going to three hundred feet and it's just like you go so fast up and I'm like, okay, that's nice, but as an eighty degree three and nude foot drop. But the coolest thing it does is the first thing it goes up and then turns and on the turn you go I think one twenty, so your feet are above your head on a turn and you only have a lap bar on and it's just so smooth and it's so excellent. The problem with Lannium Force is it's like always broken. At least that's my knowledge. Like I've been a Supard Point twice and I was only able to one of the times.
Speaker 4: It was broken for the entire season.
Speaker 1: It's like there McDonald's ice cream.
Speaker 3: It really is the McDonald's ice cream. So if you're in Ohio and Lenian Force is running, you should just go to Santusky.
Speaker 1: All right, Chief Advice. And with that, mister Brown, your number one coaster.
Speaker 2: The number one coaster for me was at Universal Studios, Orlando, and it is the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. And it is because I ever experienced anything like this where it wasn't. It does this thing where you enter on the I guess the uphill part. The very first little you know, chain lift part and it click click click click click.
Speaker 1: You go to this tunnel that sort of.
Speaker 2: Surrounded you with like gamma ray kind of lights, one would presume, and you go click click click about halfway and then it just shoots you out and you don't know exactly what's gonna happen. And it's like, I don't know how it's propelled or what the technology is behind it. But something about the like the momentary, you know, familiar thing of the chain lift click and then the note.
Speaker 1: Screw this, bam and you're out.
Speaker 2: There's something about it that just really games your your brain in a really interesting way and you just feel like unstoppable and it has some incredible inversions and it's just really really fast and really really fun and I loved it.
Speaker 1: I've only ridden it once and I thought it was next level. Nice nice with that will end with a number one on my end. That is not a declaration, it's a question. Ridiculous his story? Could you help it? Could you help me find a number one roller coaster? What is your favorite? Let us know at Ridiculous Historians over our Facebook page. Yeah, we want to hear about your adventures folks and I can't wait to can't wait to return with even more strange, ridiculous history. This has been such a not even an intentional pun, but I'll keep it if we're okay with it. It's been such a fun ride.
Speaker 2: A real ride, yeah, real journey of self discovery.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Jois de viv No, it's good stuff. Man. Without a line.
Speaker 2: No, no, no line requires ridiculous history. We're right there for you.
Speaker 1: Huge thanks to Max for the incredible research work on this one, as well as aj Bahamas and Jonathan Strickland the Puzzler and Quist respectively. Huge fan of lines, that guy. Big big thanks to christ Rossiotis Eves, jeffco will Be Eve Jeff Coat, and Ben Thompson, both of whom will be appearing soon in the near future spoilers. Big big thanks again to Alex Williams, who composed this slap and bop and audio roller coaster all its own indeed, and Noel, thanks to you. Ah to you as well. Ben. We'll see you next time. Folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.