Speaker 1: Hey, it's me Corinn. Don't fast forward this, okay.
Speaker 2: I Am going on a fourteenth city stand up comedy tour with an hour of material that you've never heard before. I've elongated bits, I've worked on bits.
Speaker 1: It's good. I'm really excited about it.
Speaker 2: It's I have the Tiger Tour twenty twenty four, featuring Chloy le Branch, who you've heard on Guys We Fucked Podcast. If you live in these cities, buy your tickets now. I'm gonna go through them. Tampa, Florida April seventeenth, Miami, Florida, April eighteenth, Atlanta, Georgia, April nineteenth and twentieth, Columbus, Ohio, April twenty fifth, Raleigh, North Carolina, April thirtieth, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May first, Boston May second, Portland, Oregon, May fourteenth, San Francisco May fifteenth, Sacramento May sixteenth, Seattle May seventeenth, Houston June twenty seventh, and Austin June twenty eighth and twenty ninth, and then Salt Lake City, Utah, rounding it out on September twenty sixth. All the tickets for all those shows are available now at Karinfisher dot com. You can also get it at the linktree link in any of my bios on social media. I'm at Philanthropy Gal again. I have the Tiger Tour twenty twenty four. Get your tickets now, see you there. We're gonna have a blast.
Speaker 1: Welcome the guys We find the anti slut shaming podcast. I'm Christina Hutchinson, I'm Kuren Fister, and I'm gona boys friends, bring us So it's flooding your horny and your shame. Heys, what yes, Okay, we're here recording, recording, rolling, Yay, this is first step.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, greetings, fuckers, how you doing where you've been or your socks clean? Welcome to another episode of Guys We Fucked.
Speaker 2: It's the anti slut shaming podcast. I'm Karen Fisher, I'm Christina Hutchinson. Welcome to the show. Los Angeless May eleventh.
Speaker 1: Are you there? So we're gonna be doing the live episode of Guys We Fucked for the Netflix is a joke festival.
Speaker 2: It's a live podcast for recording. You're gonna want to be there. It's at the Regent Theater. This is fancy. This is a big deal. Let's not have everyone regret it, including ourselves. Yes, please buy ticket now, don't.
Speaker 1: Wait, don't make us. We're gonna give you the spiel. It's I feel like it's stick.
Speaker 2: Your guys is kink to make us sweat it out, and then ultimately the room is always full and like, Okay, all's well, that ends well, I guess, guys, but you.
Speaker 1: Know it's better. All's well, that's well. The whole time, we're not call our daddy. We can't afford to have Netflix pissed at us. We can't, we can't. We don't.
Speaker 2: They already didn't like I hate so much, and they made it so clear. So the fact that they even are letting us do this festival is.
Speaker 1: Like very Yeah, we can't make Daddy mad. It was a surprise. Let's not have Daddy get angry. Buy your ticket. Please get all of our link tree bios at guys, we fucked without the U and fucked. I'm at Christina Hutch, I'm at Philanthropy. Ou O click those links, baby, It's very accessible, very excessive. Oh my goodness, jesus.
Speaker 2: Okay, guy, if you want to send us an email, it's sorry about last night's show at gmail dot com. This subject line says five months pregnant and want my husband to take a dick pill.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds tommy one. Mommy gets what mommy wants.
Speaker 2: Hi, Corn and Christina love you both and the show. Your podcast is the only one I listened to religiously. Thank you anyway. I'm thirty one and my husband is thirty three. We've been together for nine years, married for almost three. He is my favorite person and I'm incredibly attracted to him still.
Speaker 1: I love the use of stow. I really love comedically. I love how shocked you are by it, writer.
Speaker 2: I really love the stow. I'm five months pregnant and super horny all the time.
Speaker 1: That makes me want of a baby like I could fuck one to two times a day if we had the time. My husband has always had a lower sex drive than me, but usually he is always down to have sex, especially because he knows how horny I've been lately. Good because you are carrying that baby. It's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: The problem is his dick just isn't getting as hard as it used to. It's hard enough, but not like rock hard. I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yea, yeah for sure. Sometimes it'll go soft in the middle of having sex, and it's never a big deal.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't be I wouldn't love that thirty three were young. We just take a break and he will focus on me. But I miss his super hard dick me too.
Speaker 2: I tried to see if waiting a few extra days to have sex would help, but it's still only just hard enough.
Speaker 1: God, and we all know that feeling. They just hard enough dick. I go, I'm just yeah, I'm just gonna have a snack. I just like I rather eatwich.
Speaker 2: I would rather eat a piece of chocolate cake than deal with your semi erect penis what am I.
Speaker 1: Supposed to do with that? And look, die is your dick semi erect? It's only a personal tack.
Speaker 2: If that's the cake, that's because you and you don't eat vegetables, Eric.
Speaker 4: I do eat vegetables.
Speaker 1: I have a very healthy diet. I okay, really, yeah? Would you eat today?
Speaker 4: I had three hard boiled eggs?
Speaker 1: Oh, guest on over here? Yeah? Oh man morning? Okay. I want to gently suggest he literally, he used literally any dick enhancing pay it like that.
Speaker 2: He has even mentioned that other male comedian podcasts have made him want to try a dick pill.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: But he just said it in passing because he all, you got to talk to him. He needs you to get desperate, apparently, any advice for a horny pregnant woman. Thanks, Buy them for him and leave them out in a little dish, like a candy dish. I've done this for people, don't. I don't have to be cute about it. No, just leave it where you know he will see it. Or you can be like sexy like ooh, like you want to make your fucking dick rock hard? Baby, I got you this blue shoe. I heard it's gonna be rock card.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or just playing this part of the podcast right now, Wow, gain an extra half inch, just just for the spectacle.
Speaker 1: Just take it, and it's worth it, gain a half an inch. I know, guys, well, I guess if it's harder. Yeah, I know. It's like when your hair is wet and it looks longer, you know.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I know guys who like don't are not even having any easy issues, and they will take a dick pill just to like make it like a super dick. Yeah, they can do it. You can certainly do it.
Speaker 2: I just really don't have any I have. I have sympathy for people that they have the problem initially, but I don't have any sympathy for people who aren't doing anything about it because of the fucking highest ass standards women are held to in a society. You have a problem, that's fine, fucking do something about it. Enough is enough.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have to be a problem. It doesn't have to be a problem.
Speaker 2: There are so many especially when when for men getting hard, there are a thousand products on the market to fix this, because nothing nothing worse for a man than him not being able to use his dick flail it around.
Speaker 1: Okay, they've made the product, you consume it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if he works out, I mean tell them to take it go for a workout, because that I mean just the that performance alone.
Speaker 1: Is taking a dick pill and working out in the fucking Oh.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you afterwards, but you just take to work out. No, but I have taken them and then like day of it's I've gone to like the gym and I'm like, oh, I can run for so much longer.
Speaker 1: Whoa everything longer? It opens up your uh chakra.
Speaker 6: Sure we'll say that, dickra you're.
Speaker 1: Dickra Yeah, you just put it somewhere because you're carrying that baby. You your pregnancy happens to make you very horny. He needs to be of service as the guy who just went into you to make that baby happen. You're the one cooking it, Okay, you're doing all the hard work.
Speaker 2: I also wonder though, like if it's something like if it did your pregnancy and him having dick problems, did that go one hundred percent hand in hand because some people, it's like some guys in their heads are weird about like just hitting the baby. Yeah, just like it feels like and I can kind of understand this. Not not that hitting because you're not gonna actually hit the baby. That's just like them not understanding science. But it's like there is something that maybe you don't want to, like you you don't want to just absolutely like eviscerate the pussy of the woman like holding your child. Yeah right, you know, I get that. I understand that part of it. Yeah, you know, but he needs to take a medicine and get past that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, I mean I'm weird, Like I had sex this morning and my dog was buried under the blanket I'm like, you can't be in here. You got to leave, Kevin. Yeah, that's weird. Can't. Yeah, it's weird. I can't. Yeah. So I can see a guy being like, well, there's a baby. I can't see it, but I know you obviously you know it's there. I can't understand that. Yeah, I can do it. I can rationalize this for sure. And some women aren't horny during pregnancy and some arm and I'm like, if you're horny, that means you owe me your dick. Sorry, We're in this together, teamwork.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, we've told many women on this podcast to fucking suck it up and fuck their boyfriend. So yeah, honestly, yeah, this is we're giving, I think, really equal opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yes, And if you are in Springfield, Missouri, where are you at Springfield, Missouri? I'm headlining the Blue Room Comedy Club March twenty second and twenty third. My debut stand up comedy album, Goog Girl Barbara is available wherever you get your stand up album Spotify, I Heard Radio app and iTunes are the iTunes store. I have a Patreon where once a week I do group zoom therapy. Therapy is what I call because I'm not a licensed therapist, Chad, and I'm also doing on my solo podcast, The Voices in Our Heads. I'm currently doing a deep dive on this book called Supercharged Self Healing by RJ. Spina, who, as I've mentioned before, cured himself from chest down paralysis. There is something I forgot, there is something I want to talk about this intro, but it has to do with this. So I'm reading a couple pages of each chapter on the end of The Voices in Our Heads. It's a really powerful book and he gets very potent exercises, and then I'm finishing the chapter readings on my Patreon, So if you just sign up for five bucks a month, you get to listen in on those zoom sessions, but you also get to listen in on the bonus chapter readings. But one thing I just wanted to give everybody because I feel like it would be very helpful specifically to this show. RJ. Spina, who's the author of the book. He has another book out let me get the exact title. It says some similar stuff. It's called change your deprogramming your subconscious mind, rewire the brain, balance your energy. He has this one notebook exercise that I thought could be beneficial to any listener that kind of them finds themselves in relationship pattern that you don't like. He basically says that buy a notebook and a pen, and if you could take off work grade. If you can't find just do it at work if you can. If not, just do it when you're not at work. But basically interrogate yourself. So every time you go to text somebody, or you go to scroll on social media, or you go to do something, or you get stuck in this thought pattern, take a pause and write down what you're doing and ask yourself why why are you doing that? And the goal is to uncover your subconscious bringing your subconscious programming into your consciousness and it kind of makes it dissolve and you gain all this confidence. It's a very intriguing exercise. I myself have not done it yet, but this one example he gave I wrote down because I'm like, I want to share this. So this one woman who was a of RJ's he suggested this. She basically on paper, she's a Reikie healer, her career is going well. She can't even take on any more new clients because her business is going so good, but she said, every relation, intimate relationship I've have sucks the life out of me, and it's ruining my good time and all the things that she's worked on for her career. So she did this notebooks exercise and it completely transformed her. One of the examples that she gave that r J shares in the book was so she went to text her boyfriend to see how he's doing, and he just says, ask yourself, why are you doing that? Why it's because I feel responsible for his happiness. Why do you feel responsible for his happiness because it's my job to make sure he's happy. Why does it feel like that's your job? And she said, because I don't want to fail? And then she asked herself, why do you think you failed if someone isn't happy? And she answered that question saying, because it means I'm not good enough, good enough for what for anybody? I don't deserve to be in a relationship. If I can't make someone happy, I need to make someone else happy so I feel better about my my self conscious need to make people happy is because I don't value myself, so I constantly focus on making sure everybody else is doing good. She said she would listen and obsess over what she could do to fix people, and I was like, oh wow, this this woman did this notebook exercise for like a week and it completely transformed. And all it is is just bringing in the root of your of the habits that you do when your kind of need jerk reactions to like people please, for example, it's a super toxic trait, and it's kind of easier to get to the bottom of things than we think. You just ask yourself why, sit there for a second and really honestly answer it, and then just the act of answering it and bringing it to light will make you more aware of why you do that. So a lot of people get stuck in negative relationship patterns with romance, and I think that's a good little tool. So for me to you have fun enjoy it sounds like she needs some reking on herself. Well, it's always the healers that are the most fucked up people, the therapists.
Speaker 2: I just it's so it's like it's actually like funny at this point, Like whenever a time I hear like someone going through like some kind of a journal prompt or that like I was intrigued by the initial question very much. I'm always you know, unhappy in these in relationships. And then I'm like, yea on edge of my see, I'm like, what's the answer, and then I go, oh, immediately have nothing in common with this person?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, not relate to me. Yeah. The goal is to uncover like you're operating from a place of insecurity and if you can, if you can just bring that to the surface by verbalizing it or just writing it down on this exercise case, a lot of times, that'll make you stop doing it, Yeah, which is pretty cool. That's why it's like good to get to the root of the problem, to identify it. Yes, and then you can do the most important step, which is fix it in charge of your own life. Fucking fix it. Personal responsibility. Baby, it's what's for dinner. It's amazing. And I was also you know, it's your personal responsibility. Everyone buying a ticket to one of my Eye of the Tiger twenty twenty four shows. Okay, I will be on the road a lot in April, May, going into June and September a little bit with the one and only Chloe Labranch. So here are the cities and the dates. It's Tampa April seventeenth, Miami April eighteenth, Atlanta April nineteenth and twentieth, Columbus, Ohio, April twenty fifth, Raleigh, North Carolina, April thirtieth, Philadelphia May first, Boston May second, Portland, Oregon, May fourteenth, San Francisco May fifteenth, Sacramento May sixteenth, Seattle, Washington, May seventeenth, Houston, Texas June twenty seventh, Austin, Texas June twenty eighth and twenty ninth, and Salt Lake City, Utah, September twenty sixth. Ticks are available at Corinnefisher dot com. It's on the main page, but you could also click live if you want more of that. It's accessible. You can also access it via the link tree link in my bio on Instagram at Philanthropy gal. Again, you're gonna come to the show, just buy the tickets sooner than later, because a lot of these are one nighters. A couple are like a couple shows at night, but like they do track it and if everyone waits till like the week of the shows will get canceled. Not that this is in danger of happening already, but We're just like we just know from the past, like this is how this is. Our listeners like to buy tickets late and that is bad.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's not not good. So please stop doing that. We appreciate you coming. But if you could make a decision, you know, two weeks, three weeks in advance, that would be great.
Speaker 1: And uh, just just think about how that like it.
Speaker 2: You know, think of how you feel when a guy you like texts you for plans day of instead of setting it like a couple days in advance. Think of how much better the in advanced plans feel okay and they really care. Yeah, it feels like you really wanted to be there and it's not just a last fucking restort.
Speaker 1: Oh, this other girl didn't text me, so courn you want to go out to dinner exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And additionally, yeah, it just helps us prepare everything. And of course, and this happened in Washington, d C. But uh, if you bring someone who doesn't listen to guys, we bring someone who's not familiar with my comedy and create a new fan and bond with that person. That is like amazing thing to do for female comedians in general, because as we talk about every week people don't cold see female comedians, and they're going to get not one, but two great female comedians, probably three if there's a host. A lot of times they pick a female host for me because I hold a knife up to their throat and I sy female only. Otherwise they're not getting on my fucking stage. But it's great, and of course you can continue listening to without a Country. Last week we went over my c Span appearance, which was just fucking incredible. The people who called in every week we've been really diving in and again getting closer and closer to that twenty twenty four election that is going to be Biden versus Trump.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna want to be politically aware. And that's on YouTube or wherever you listen to podcasts on Wednesdays, all right.
Speaker 4: And come see me, Yes, go ahead, and Edmonton, Vancouver, Plano, Phoenix or Minneapolis, and all those those dates are in the link my bio at Eric Freddy F R E. T. T Y at Instagram.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're following him even if you're not going to code any of those shows. Guys support Baby got to support the team, the team of guys we fucked don't send Eric.
Speaker 1: Hand pictures though, hand pictures. That's that was the thing that we had with Mike and Judge. If you're hot based on the picture of your hand, yeah, he has he's a he has a hand fixation. So people, some people have ugly hands. Yeah, and they were men were confidently sending my pictures of their hands, and even us as non hand aficionados, could tell that they were not good hands. Oh yeah, there was some hands build with those hands. Girl, Yeah, they were not they were not or they're just like stubby little hands oh dump thumbs. Yeah, just not good hands that were coming in.
Speaker 4: So listen to my podcast, the podcast at Eric It's Eric and Diego have Sex only on Patreon.
Speaker 1: What wow? Is this a new podcast?
Speaker 6: No, I've had it for like a year, but it's.
Speaker 1: Called Eric and dieg ide It was his room. Eric and Diego have said, yes, And what inspired you to call it that?
Speaker 4: We just thought it is funny, a.
Speaker 1: Bit of an earwork.
Speaker 4: We wanted to gay bait a little bit community.
Speaker 1: Wow, I just say that. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: All right, well, uh, you know it is award season and as every awards season goes, there will be a man on stage who was once broken but was brought back to life talking about Robert by the love of one. Yes, I am talking about Robert down.
Speaker 1: I think everyone. I think.
Speaker 2: I think I've gotten so deeply into our listeners' brains that I was sitting there hoping I was. I was, like anyone who listens to guys we fucked and is also watching the Oscars right now knows I'm going to feel some sort of way about this speech.
Speaker 1: And let me just preface this.
Speaker 2: By saying, I love Robert Downey gin your He is so fucking hot. He is one of the hottest people to ever exist. He looked so fucking hot last night that Zaddy. I mean, that guy's like he's getting up there in eight. He's in his sixties.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, he's he's elderly, and he is so fucking feign I fifty eight. Yeah, okay, so I'm sorry, he is almost sixty. That's not elderly. I'm gonna retrash it. That's great to know that you could be that hot at sixty. I think it's not very common, but for Robert.
Speaker 2: Well, and also keep in mind that, like I think, he also looked older previously because of all the excess of drug use. So now, in comparison to how he used to look like, he's he's probably really like obsessed with health, because you know how people with addiction get obsessed with something else. He probably got obsessed with like taking care of himself. And so in his you know, he's he's been with his current wife for a while. You know, of course he hasn't just been married once. He's a celebrity, but he's he doesn't have a terrible track record, right, And so he looks down at his wife. And she's a movie producer, which makes sense someone who has control of a fucking situation. A lot of these delinquent men will go with female Hollywood movie producers, which even though I am a creedive my personality type is definitely a Hollywood producer.
Speaker 1: It's not talent. Talent's all over the place, can't fucking remember to pay their own rent. I have producer energy, Yes you do.
Speaker 2: And so I know that, and I so anytime I said, I go, oh, this is a situation I would find myself in somehow.
Speaker 1: And he looks down at her, right, and he and you know and everyone.
Speaker 2: It's very well known in Hollywood that Robert Downing Junior has had a bumpy road with addiction, like just a excess of drug sex worker just like you know, all this kind of stuff and not that and you know, sex worder is bad, but he managed to do it badly, and so he I mean it's you know, he even makes a joke about him, you know, kind of being unensurable for a good amount of his Hollywood career. And he looks down at his wife and he said, you know, a really talented, successful person in her own right.
Speaker 1: And he and he goes, you know, baby, you loved me. Back to life, and everyone in the in the audience goes, oh, everyone's heart strengths are being tugged. That's not cute.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why it is, is society, how we can't get that out of our head, that that's not cute. This woman, I mean, she's probably twenty and she looked forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like she was no, no. But I'm just saying, like, because of how much time he's taken off of her life. The told he's taken on this woman, right, yeah, And like I appreciate that he's acknowledging her public of course, I appreciate that. He can't undo his thus as it happens, it happened. He can appreciate her. He can think her publicly.
Speaker 2: But that's not enough. I hope he's doing and maybe he is behind the scenes. I hope he's doing a thousand times more for that for her. I hope he is stepping up in ways above and beyond as a an eternal thank you to this woman. You know, what's likely that it happens you put in the shee runner one day.
Speaker 1: But I want to think.
Speaker 2: Positively about this, right, But what I did not appreciate everyone's reaction in the crowd, Grow the fuck up.
Speaker 1: That's not cute, Like, that's not we're thinking.
Speaker 2: We're we're giving a thank you as number one as we're accepting an oscar?
Speaker 1: Still something for us? Still something? What did she get? Where's her oscar? Where's her oscar? For digging you out of a meth ditch? Robert? And then so as a society, like I.
Speaker 2: Would like to us to reframe our thinking and stop giving men credit for like yet, like, how about if you just didn't go to the worst depths of yourself? Because I know so many women who didn't. What if you just didn't travel there and make a woman pluck you out of it, what can we And what if we just all applauded you for not ever going there.
Speaker 1: But let's just applaud for that.
Speaker 2: Let's give Matt Damon a round of applause for just not ever doing that. You know, there are a couple marrying a waitress, right, just just being like a fucking normal person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh yeah. And then but then I started thinking of like, you know, we get getting very into the woo woo and like our roles and how who we were in past lives are these lives? And I was like maybe.
Speaker 2: Then another part of me was started thinking, like I've tried to fight against this, this.
Speaker 1: Like a dynamic for so long. It's a battle. I am. I'm not personally losing it, but I feel like as women, we are still losing this battle, right, And so then I started thinking, what if for the iteration of your life, for the lifetime that you are a woman, or the lifetimes that you are a woman, is it just our role in the dynamic of society to fix broken men? Is that just it? Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that the challenge that we are supposed to be getting through in that lifetime.
Speaker 1: Is that another option?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it feels so overwhelming, and we are constantly and I mean I think this is the patriarch. We are constantly like applauded for helping broken men.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel good, No, it's not. It's exhausting, and it comes from a place of Usually if you repair a broken man, it's coming from a different place, right, Like you're like trying to fix something else, nothing to do with him.
Speaker 2: I mean, or you think that you just have to do that much work in order to receive love. I think it's more like that totally. But what is yeah, like what and as but as also as as people not part of these relationships where a woman is fixing a broken man, we need to stop. We need to stop applauding like the man for like a minimal thank you for the chaos, and have the key rates on this woman's life and then also like stop applauding the woman.
Speaker 1: For doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna actually say, like stop, maybe if we stopped rewarding women for doing these things, they would stop doing them. You know, how will we only applaud her for like producing the amazing movies? That she's produced and not for you know, because he literally said he's like you found me when I mean, it was like the language he used was like you you know and again like if it is no Hollywood mystery that Robert Downey Junr. Was fucking rock bottom And then there's a part of me I thought that was, like, what did she find appealing about Robert Downey Junior at rock bottom? Did she see the potential, the Zaddy, the charismatic Oscar Award winning actor that was inside of him? And she decided this is this is my next project that I want to produce. This is this next thing that I want to embark on.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can't answer these questions.
Speaker 2: Only she can, and like so often like and there has to be something to it because so often like I'm at home, dry heaving, and the woman you know is seems proud and happy with this little acknowledgment.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to take that away from that. If you feel proud, good fucking enjoy that, Yeah, But I just it makes me have such larger questions about relationships, especially had her sexual relationships and societies, like I mean, we love a comeback story of course you love a comeback story. And I do think too, like when you're with a romantic partner and you love them, like even with my friends, like I'll see the best in them, and so maybe it's like that, like I see how good you are, and I see all the muck on top of it that you don't really see right now.
Speaker 2: But she she didn't even It's not like she met him. He fell into addiction and then she got right. She met him when he was I mean, I'm guessing probably incoherent. I'm probably pretty charismatic and charming, probably like I don't know, like like okay, like what like I mean he was using what like what drugs?
Speaker 1: He is so charming and so hot, Oh my god, Yeah, like the sex appeal probably wasn't that watered down with the addiction stuff. Like sometimes it's hard to tell. Yeah, but I will say too as somebody and I've said this before, but I just I'll remind you I was using heroin and crack fuck, so he was okay, wow, those are very opposite drugs. See, because I know it's not just like a Hollywood guy who's buzzing on coke. This this is it says it says by nineteen ninety five, he had descended into the harrowing depths of heroin and cracked pane abuse, leading to multiple arrests and numerous stints in rehab facilities. Yeah, you know, even if Robert Downey Juter, even if like I had a friend and I found out they were using heroin, I would feel a little bit of a responsibility to try to get them, help them, to help them as much as I can. I would that that's a bummer, But a.
Speaker 2: Lot of times that help really turns into enabling in backfire. So like the kind of life that you would need to give as a romantic partner, it had to be I'm guessing in some way enabling. And then just in Susan her name is Susan. In Susan Downe's case, it turned out positive, right, luck.
Speaker 1: Of the draw kind of thing exactly right, right right, And listen, you know, we love a gambling woman, we love a risk taking a woman. Goddamn right, But why not it's just again, why not take this risk on yourself? Like it was worth that maybe of a risk for love. Maybe she already maybe she already risked her like took risks on her during her whole life, and she's really proud of her progress, and she's like, well, this is nothing.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I just mean they like the amount of time and the thank you, like you can tell you can tell from the thank you how bad the crack cocaine used was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got that. I got me.
Speaker 2: Sure we could tell from Robert Downey's juniors things.
Speaker 1: You could believe he was alive. The crack use was alarming. Yeah, yeah, cracks alarming. Don't do it, kids, And I'll say I I am. I am a person here to tell you that it is possible to be with a partner who is in an active addiction and they themselves without you saying a goddamn thing, want to make their lives better and enter sobriety, and you're there for the ride, but you had nothing to do with their decision to be sober. It's amazing, But you also agree that was a gamble for you to enter that in hoping that he would stop. Uh huh right, yes, okay, But I also I wasn't saying much about it. I was be I was kind of like distant from his addiction because I knew that I'm like it's not going to be potent in any way. If I'm the one who, like who pushes you to get there, it won't stick. You have to do it, and you know, my head, I'm like, well, we can't get to these certain milestones if it's still like this, you know, but you gotta kind of hope Hope. Really, yeah, sometimes hope works. It's my most destructive addiction is hope. But then when it works, you're like, oh, it's so good. You don't know Hope like I do. Well, it's just me and Hope. It's great. Hope's my best friend. It's my fucking lover, she said, spanks me and makes me walk around in high heels and crawl on the floor. Damn, Hope is so sexy. Hope. You got it girl. So yeah, glad, he's glad, he's sober. Yeah, I could tell by that speech. Well one I already heard, like I heard your monologue. I was watching it and it was killing me because I really I was so happy for him, and I really, yeah, I can't. This is first Oscar. Yeah it was. He was been nominating before but he never won, And like you could tell, I mean, there was a number when there was too many fucking standing ovations that that Oscars last night. Yey were standing for it. They just stood for good. They stood for Jimmy Kimmel. I was like, laughable, this is laughable. I will say the way that they presented like best Actress, best supporting and stuff with they had like the previous winners and said the most beautiful that was really nice and copy that those actors gave it was sincere. It was heartfelt, beautifully performed themselves. I hope so too. It felt like it because especially the ones that had a personal connection with Yah. Yeah, but that was such a beautiful touch. I'm like, damn, I liked it too. To be honest, I totally forgot, like when Kimmel was like, uh, you know, we thought we this is the fifth fiftieth anniversary of the Streaker, we thought that was gonna be the most I totally forgot about the Will Smith slop. I totally felt it left my until I brought that up. I was like, oh my god, yeah, I forgot about that and so and because he was like, we thought this was gonna be the most memorable Oscars moment until you know, I was like, what was it? I forgot about that too. I forgot about that too. Yeah, wild that was the most talked about and I'm like, this is never not gonna be talked about the slap herd around the world and yeah, no, it's just we all. It just goes to say like, no one's important, no one's thinking about you. I wasn't thinking about the Will Smith slap for a year. Yeah that's crazy, that's true. We're all busy with our own lives, guys. Damn Okay, speaking of damns, We're so excited to be here with Mark Groves. We were saying before we before we started recording that, uh, it's so nice to have a guest on that we can actually use as a resource for our own lives. Yeah, we just called you in because we need help.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what whatever, just to be here, so excited to be in person. But if we could, you know, do some intervention, a please use protection. Come on, the bully is an.
Speaker 1: Effective uh yeah yeah, then the fluid bonding is just you know, that's the point. I'm not going to date. What's the point for dating? But so this is really great. So Karin was told, I don't know if you want to go first Krin, but you I was thinking about what you were telling me earlier about codependency.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so I've been thinking about a lot about codependency. I actually like put little homework assignments for myself on my to do list for the week, and one of them was, like you have this podcast, Like, I know, people talk about codependency all the time.
Speaker 1: I seemingly know what it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's just hard with my personality to really wrap my mind around it. So when I saw that's one of the main things we're speaking about in your new book, like, I need some Can you explain to me what is codependency in Layman's terms, and what does that look like and like and how do people get themselves into codependent relationships? It feels like such a foreign concept to me that I that I really need someone.
Speaker 1: To break it down. Starts with your mother, Karina.
Speaker 6: I just yeah, I mean most stuff does got a bad rap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some moms are bad.
Speaker 6: That's very true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can go hut time. My mouth was open, but I was done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: Codependency The term is traditionally known in the addiction circles. So based on alan On and the original work in that space is by Melody B. D. It's a book called Codependent No More Right. And so we know codependency as this idea of being the enabler. So the person who's constantly like trying to shape shift help someone save them. And so people who are in relationship with addicts really need to understand that because they're part of the challenge.
Speaker 6: And I often think about that, and.
Speaker 7: You know, I'll get to like our definition of codependency that we have in the book, But I often think about, you know, when someone finally gets sober, it's one because the people around them say, I love you too much to let this happen anymore, and I will no longer participate in your addiction or whatever it is, your toxic behavior. And but when they get sober or stop doing the thing they're doing, the person who's trying to change them doesn't have a job anymore. So part of what the person who's trying to change people does, and this is dating unavailable people. This is staying in relationship dynamics that don't serve you, dating someone who's ambivalent, doesn't know what they want. These are all ways that we abandon ourselves and what we truly desire, and if we were to stop doing that, we stop sourcing our worth from someone needing us to help them change. So we define it in the book as a relational dynamic where we source safety from something or someone at the expense of ourselves and our overall well being and our safety. So it's essentially like you're not the main character in your story.
Speaker 6: It's always about other people. Now.
Speaker 7: On the other side, where we would think an attic normally takes that role is actually someone who generally has a challenge in the psychological world. They might say that they're underfunctioning, that they are not fully adulting, you know what I mean. And they might ident defight is broken, that there's something wrong with them.
Speaker 6: They really don't have a capacity to hold shame.
Speaker 7: And usually you find these people together, you find the person who's quote unquote more anxiously attached with the person who's more avoidant. So one is afraid that there's not there's too much space between me.
Speaker 6: And the other person.
Speaker 7: Like when we think about attachment styles and have you had someone come on and talk about it before.
Speaker 1: We've talked about yeah, talked about it before.
Speaker 7: I like to think of it instead of like I am anxious or I am avoidant, or I am secure, it's I'm prone to Because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good because then you're labeling that for yourself for the rest of time because you kind of evolve.
Speaker 7: It's called earned secure, So you learn how to become secure, and it's your modeling behaviors of what a secure person would do, and you become secure. I mean, it sounds a lot easier than it is, but the I think of it like it's your relationship to space. So anxious people don't like too much space. It means a lack you're gonna leave me. I'm not safe, and avoiding people need space, so when there's not enough, they need space.
Speaker 6: So think about these two people together.
Speaker 1: And we've all seen two people start dating that you're like, no, what are you doing? And they just feed each other, right, Like, I've witnessed relationships where I'm like, it's just I don't want to be around you at a function or any and I've certainly been in those relationships. I've been that person and it's like you're just going to back away until they figure out that that's not good.
Speaker 7: That is such the healthy response when someone is constantly distancing. I always think like they can't move towards you if you keep taking up the space, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one. How do you feel safe when you don't feel safe? That's a big question.
Speaker 7: Well, usually we're looking for the other person to alter the relationship dynamics so that safety becomes, you know something, so safety being like am I safe to self express? Am I safe to be myself? Am I safe to be vulnerable? Am I safe to have wounds? And ultimately it's like we're seeking for someone else to finally give us that, But it's really us who ask to give it, right, Yeah, yeah, it's all just evidence for our own you know, need to heal and grow.
Speaker 1: Have you felt unsafe in relationships past.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent? Even in the book?
Speaker 7: My wife and I in the book we talk we talked about relationship one point oh this sacred pause and relationship two point zero and that's our first relationship. Then a breakup and then we got back together, and that was not planned. I did not expect to get back together and really no.
Speaker 1: Together what I was very carefully watching this. I really love this, this story, I mean, great for the book, but I know that's not why you did it. You did Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I was like, this is like the Notebook but better.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Relationship one point zero completely lacked safety because my wife was previously divorced, very dis She was afraid to come fully into the relationship and so she.
Speaker 6: Had this dream.
Speaker 7: And what how this came forward is I was going for a run and I was like, man, I keep feeling like I chase her and then and then I come close to her, and then she runs again. So I got back from the run and I was like, hey, you know, this is what I'm noticing, and she was like, yeah, you're right. I actually had this dream where there was a house that was burning and it was our relationship and the message I got was.
Speaker 6: You need to go.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 6: And this was about eight months into our relationship.
Speaker 7: Broke up with you no, no, no, but that she had been holding this fear because she didn't want to go anywhere. She was like, I finally met a guy who like thinks about how I think, is open to growth, et cetera, et cetera. And she was like, what's wrong with me that I can't choose this? I don't want to leave mm hmmm. And so she and I spent so much of our relational energy trying to figure out how to fix this thing right. So one she has to believe there's something wrong with her that she can't choose this relationship. And two I'm like, hey, like you're not you might leave at any moment, Like this dream still lives.
Speaker 2: But the dream was just fear right, Yeah, yeah, I mean like it manifesting because so many we got a little too into woo woo stuff. And on this podcast, if I get one more email that's like I had a dream about this is this So on my relationship, I'm going to end it, okay, And I mean my own life, I just can't. Like I just so, I'm glad that you brought this up, because see, you guys, sometimes a dream is just our fear talking to us in our sleep.
Speaker 1: He's the show's from God. And a lot of times when you suppress your fear, it makes all the sense in the world that it's going to be manifest as a dream some metaphor. Yes, exactly. So you felt unsafe in relationship one point zero.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because at any time, you know, now there's this unconscious fear. She could go till it's resolved and she's like, I choose this, that dream is no longer relevant, right, But it really was. We what shifted towards the end of relationship. One point, oh is we were like, hey, we've done everything, Like we're two pretty self aware people. Were were deep in the work. We're seeing lots of mentors and therapists, et cetera, just trying to figure this out, like we love each other. And I was like, what happens if actually what you're thinking you're broken is actually wisdom? Oh, Like you're sensing a deeper relational pattern here that needs to be resolved, and so you're saying I gotta go. And she talks about it. I love the way she expresses it. She's like her body was like the somatic canarian.
Speaker 6: The coal mine.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 7: And it it is so true because by then seeing that what was coming up for her was actually wisdom, we could act upon that, we ended the relationship. Oh yeah, and that was It was so beautiful because now instead of me being like, it's okay to be in a relationship with someone who might go, I was like, no.
Speaker 1: Right, right, that's the that's an act of safety. Right.
Speaker 7: Really, I couldn't feel safe because I didn't trust myself. It looked like she wasn't choosing me, but I was leaving myself in circumstances with.
Speaker 6: An ambibiuent person. So like, how could I not have anxiety gut stuff?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Like it's I'm thinking it's her and then I get to make it her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so in relationships, it's we're so quick to think that the other person is the one who needs to change, right when we're the ones who needs to change.
Speaker 7: And by a lot of times that change means leave the relationship right and and change how we orient to someone not changing. Yeah, right, Like that's the big shift. It can be a massive shift when as you're saying, oh, it's what's my side of the street. Like every relational dynamic we're in, we're in. We are the common denominator in all our relationship outcomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even if the other person does need to change, you cannot. That's work they have to do on their own time. It's only like I'm like, you have control of your own actions to work on that. People are so obsessed with other people's or their friend's friends. Like there's so many people who write in and they're like, my friend is in this relationship.
Speaker 1: I go, you have too much. You have too much time on your right unless they're in imminent danger, right, you probably have some stuff to work on that you can grate on. Yeah, it's so much easier to have your intenn's pointed out word than then word.
Speaker 7: Well, isn't that again, Like you're you're putting your attention and your life force into trying to resolve other people's conflict. Sure, there's more codependency, it's like stay in your lane.
Speaker 1: Do you think how much codependency do you think is from a person's subconscious desire to fix their own dynamic with a parent? Because that fuel you're blind, like you have that fuel, it gives you such tunnel vision that all you like because I've experienced that. I've been on the rocket of that and it's like nothing else exists except this goal. It's wild, never focused on something so much in my life, very unhealthy.
Speaker 7: Well, it makes sense because you think it's the unresolved need of the child. So the we usually orient a relationship from the place of needing to resolve that unconsciously. So the relationships, as you know, we draw into our lives are usually re wounding us in a way that is familiar, and usually with a parent, and usually the parent that we sort of experience the most challenged with. I'd say it's it's unfortunately usually our mother, because that's where we learn secure, attachment, attainment, all the things. So you know, it's I would say almost all codependency is rooted in our childhood dynamic, but I'd say culture moves in there.
Speaker 6: You also look at what do movies tell us.
Speaker 7: The stories are like, be a woman sitting in the top of a building who needs to be saved, like the top of a castle.
Speaker 6: And then the man needs to be the one who goes and fixes it.
Speaker 2: And movies fuck me up. Everyone's talking about child to trauma. Go that's movies for me, one hundred percent, not parent stuff. It's more like movies also presented a much more exciting existence because in a movie, it doesn't show you. You're not looking at the mundane parts of life. You're only seeing the It's a highlights reel, right, It's like Instagram before Instagram existed.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, oh, you guys want to talk about trauma, Let's talk about how exciting and thrilling movies are. I Mean, a big question that I ask like all the time on this podcast is like do I even have a soulmate? Because like we're sold this idea that like everyone does and then you go, all right, well it's been like thirty eight years, Like what's happening here?
Speaker 2: You know, It's like it feels like something that you're old, the same way I feel about tits, Like I didn't get those either. You know, there's like a long list of things that I was like, why really I deserve a refund?
Speaker 7: Well, the the idea that we have a soulmate, I think it's just so limiting, you know. I know people who are in some toxic relational dynamics that the yeah, and they'll say there's this one I can think of where they're like, he's my twin flame.
Speaker 1: Flame red flag.
Speaker 7: Well, and to me, it's like, soulmate doesn't mean because I think we have many. I think that's just a much easier they could be. It could be a dog, it could be a person, right, and and they're really people who wake us up to our patterns, you know. But yeah, to think that your soulmate you have to work it out with that is the illusion. Maybe the lesson from the soulmate is that you actually need to choose yourself and not you know, and then you put yourself on the path to somebody who's who You're not trying to resolve childhood stuff with anymore, you know, And that we usually orient to our relationships from place of wounding, seeking them to be healed, and we do that in our life. Like, think about what brings us to personal growth. It's usually the idea that something wrong with us. Yeah, but at some point in our life we can't orient to the world from that place anymore.
Speaker 6: It has to be there's something right with me.
Speaker 7: These challenges that I'm having are no longer evidence of my lack of or my inadequacy.
Speaker 6: They're actually evidence that I'm learning.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that reframe. It's all about reframing you something. And it's like, there was this quote the other day from this author that I'm reading, and he said anger is the ego substitute for courage, and I'm like, God damn, that makes me actually not want to have road rage because I have that road rage and I'm like, now I do not want to indulge in that getting off on the anger thing. Because it's just like thinking of it as a substitute for courage. So that's so. Yeah, the reframing is huge. I imagine there was a lot of reframing when you got back together with your now wife.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long was the break?
Speaker 6: Ten months?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: Ten months?
Speaker 1: Did you talk a lot?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, no time, especially right away. I was like, no communication for three months, and then we came back together, had dinner, and then we were like no, not aligned. Yeah, and then yeah, we came back again. And so it broke up into September, and I think it was April or something like that May the following year that we actually were like okay. She actually sent me a message and was like, I'd like to chat and like catch up, and you know, I'm interested in sharing with you some of the things I've learned. And we had a coffee and she was like, I'm ready to choose this. Oh, I'm ready to have kids, I'm ready to do those things. Oh wow with you, But I'm not ready to just jump into that as a commitment.
Speaker 6: I'd like to explore that with you. I'd like.
Speaker 7: So we created what we called a dating container. It was like and you know, in Stan Tacken's work. He's a famous psychotherapist. He talks about how the reason that relatesh ships end is because they fail to create clear agreements at the start. Yeah, so our container was just very clear agreements, like we we weren't seeing other people, we were going to check in all the time.
Speaker 1: Everybody's always so scared to ask, Like, so we can be monogamous like until it gets too late. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: You can't create emotional safety if you're directing your relational energy into a person who is directing it into multiple people.
Speaker 6: It's impossible.
Speaker 2: And see, I'm glad you said that because these people who are starting open like the starting what like a primary relationship, but keeping it open at the start, I just think it is a real big mistake.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I respect everyone's relational choice. I just I just think either.
Speaker 1: I just think, but I'm happy that you do. That's that's why that you're in the studio with us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 7: I do think that polyamory is often the changing of a relational dynamic that we probably want to end or don't know how to do the work within. And that's not always true, but I think that's often true. It's like we're creating safety nets, yeah, that are protecting us from really going deeper with one person.
Speaker 2: It's like it to me, like polyamory to me is like a lot of a lot of people. Also is my issue is like that they're calling something polyamory that is not they're They're just calling the ability to constantly fuck around pomory and memory is extremely complex. And I know maybe one person who I really feel to be polyamorous. And this is a person who has, like in a beautiful way, devoted their life to love.
Speaker 1: Nothing I want a part of. But like, goddamn, does this person spend a lot of time on relationships and love and caring for the people in their life?
Speaker 6: I mean you have to when you have a lot of relationships. How do people have our time? I have one wife?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine having a bun yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's wild. Yeah. What other agreements were in your dating container? Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I was just reading the audible for our book and I laughed because one of the agreements was not to have penetrative sex. So I had to say penetrative of penetrative yeah, And I was like, I feel like the mark, I feel like I'm like in health classes or something so clinical. It really felt I always laugh whenever I say it. But so we didn't have sex, But did you get a finger in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We did all that. It was actually really fun.
Speaker 1: Were you doing insertions? Okay? Months fun to put a little like because then people just jump in physically like people just jump in right away, and it's like, man, you really miss that out on the making out, on the grabbing, the boobs, over the shirt, the fingering, you know, all that fun stuff. A good hand job, Yeah, you know what is a good hand job?
Speaker 6: Mark, I think it's a two hand job really more attention.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I feel like my I like doing it with one. The rhythm is hard with two interesting, okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, it's like your stomach and you know yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: That was another agreement.
Speaker 7: Which I really resisted that one at first. No penetrative act. It's a beautiful I've match practice. The audible person's like, what penetrative? Yeah, because I'm more like what we would think of as the woman in the relationship. As soon as I have a connection with someone, I'm like marriage the brain and girlfriend. That's that not like no joke for sure, And what I found that did for me was the container made it so.
Speaker 1: The relationship could not accelerate.
Speaker 7: So even if I was like, you know, a month and oh we're doing good, like we're labeling like we're good now, and it was like, that's not part of the agreement. And what I noticed was that I wasn't ready to call it a yes yet, but I wanted it to be a yes, so I felt more secure.
Speaker 6: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: And that was part of the me being with someone who couldn't fully choose the relationship was that I had already bypassed the sense that why would you ever put yourself in a relationship with someone who can't fully choose it. That makes no sense, but it means that somewhere when I was young, I learned that it was okay to not feel fully chosen and that became just normal. So my nervous system not knowing where I fit was actually familiar. And what that three month container and also our breakup did for me was recognize what a no is. And I was working with this client recently and I was talking to her. She had like a lot of guys who were her friend who wanted more, and then she was friends with guys she wanted more from. And I said, like, isn't this interesting that the thing you're doing to these men who want more and you know and then you like source stuff from them, you're also in the same circumstance with someone else. And I said, so till you can actually get very clear on what a no is in your life, You're yes, actually isn't a real yes, right, you know, because your yes still comes with small print. It's like, I'm yes on the condition. So if I can't say this is definitely not a fit for you, but if it's not a fit for you, it's not a fit for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, like our other agreement, coming back together was a fierce dedication to the truth, the truth ahead of anything. This working out This not because we realized through working with thousands of people and just all the experiences we'd had personally, was that the truth is ultimately what deepens trust and intimacy. We grow up in families where the family create, everyone has a role, where we don't talk about dad's alcoholism or mom's narcissism or whatever it is, right right and so and so we're like bringing pad.
Speaker 1: The lies in all of your other relationships going forward? Right, Why don't nothing to see here?
Speaker 6: That's why I'm like, fuck that, Yeah, Like I don't want relationships like that.
Speaker 1: Can you recall the truth? Can you recall something that either you said to her or she said to you that you were like, ooh, okay, that's the truth. Yep, I'm gonna have to take a break and cry real quick.
Speaker 7: I mean a few One that comes to mind was in our previous relationship, and then one when we got back together. One in our previous relationship was she was coming. So this was like as we were about to meet again. She was not living in Vancouver at the time, and I said, well, you know what, I'll pay for your flight, like come visit. And as soon as I said it, this was wild. I could hear this voice inside me that was like, if you pay for her flight, you've got her. And I didn't notice that really, like I noticed it, but I was like, nah, whatever. And then when she came to Vancouver. I don't think I ended up paying for her flight. But when she came to Vancouver, she was like that didn't feel clean, and I was like, what do you mean, And she's like, I'm just wondering what's wrong with me that I couldn't receive your generosity to pay for the flight?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's an interesting way to say that.
Speaker 7: And I said, actually, I feel a lot of shame saying this, but I think what you were onto is that I had this like unconscious sense that if I paid for it, I had power.
Speaker 1: Over you manipulated.
Speaker 7: And then I was like, so so when I shared with her that, she started crying because she immediately thought there was something wrong with her that she couldn't receive my generosity, right.
Speaker 1: Jeez, and you were you were having a whole other dynamic.
Speaker 7: I was going on to manipulate and her body, which I think women, but I think people, but especially women have been taught to bypass that sense and then think because think about it, ends I've done a.
Speaker 1: Lot because there's like statistics of like when people don't women don't follow their gut because out of basically.
Speaker 2: Politeness A lot of time, like walking on the other side of the street when they feel safe, when someone's on the like following them or something, they end up literally dead.
Speaker 6: Right, And you think, I wonder how they do that. Research did you or did you not follow your guys?
Speaker 1: The street and you just did it, mam ma'am below.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's choice, she attacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: The with What I found interesting about that was that even you know, call it the patriarchal sort of training, that I'm fine and I was just being generous. And so we in our book go through these what we call codependent hooks and their unconscious ways that we hook into people's energy so that we can keep them close.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, probably that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I started to realize how much I did it, and that so I had to really I had to be with the shame that I had been doing this my whole life, using charm, using you know, humor, using everything to like try to bring someone close, intuiting their needs yea, you know, but leaving my own center. Like if I have to pay for someone to keep someone close, that's not security, right right, right right, It's meeting a need, yes exactly. But think about relational dynamics. They are fueled by that power dynamic.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the cat and schame of just even like getting together in the first place, and the attraction. It's like, don't call them back right away, don't text her immediately after the you know, and it's like, Okay, I mean just the dance is kind of fun, but then when the game playing extends into what are we it's like this is not enjoyable.
Speaker 6: Right, right?
Speaker 7: And it's crazy to me that we're so worried about asking someone if you know, let's say we want to not see other people because you can sense that you want to invest more and you want more safety emotionally, that we're actually afraid to have that conversation because it might push our soulmate away.
Speaker 1: But if they're their soul mat away and it'll filter.
Speaker 6: Them, right, you want to filter out the people who.
Speaker 1: Don't want it, right.
Speaker 6: It's such a mind fuck.
Speaker 1: Well, there's this thing with romantic relationships, especially if you've had any sort of like trauma of any kind in childhood, which most people have, where it's like, man, if I lose this, I'll never get this feeling again. And that is a really big selling point to cling.
Speaker 6: It really is.
Speaker 7: And I always think, like the the universe God, your experience doesn't matter. Whatever words you use will remove people from your life who you place your value in having. Sure absolutely to remind you that your value doesn't live in having them. So if you're if you lose your relationship and your sense of self is in your relationship status, which I think as a culture we celebrate that. Oh yes, basically because if you're single, people go like, oh, why are you still single? Like you have an ailment.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was literally just talking about those a couple of months ago because I was like, I actually like fucking hate having a boyfriend, and anytime I had one, it was just like a strategic move to like have my like like to peer to others like as it's like, oh, I have everything, so stop asking me about it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't like having it. So even if that appears lower value or like.
Speaker 1: Losing to you, I'm winning because I don't want to have a boyfriend because it sucks.
Speaker 6: Like having one, because it is a sense of going validation.
Speaker 1: Just having one in general. Period hard stop. But yeah, do you think having a boyfriend suck?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean most because the boyfriends suck.
Speaker 1: I it's there's just I don't I guess I need to create some things that maybe I need. That's what it always seems like. I don't.
Speaker 2: There's nothing I really need. So then you know the boyfriend's there and he's like what's my job? And I'm like, just be cool and hang out and eat snacks, and they seem to want like more of a job, you know, And so then I just have someone in my space who's annoying me.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, the idea that you need to have a need for them to be in your life, right is again, like that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to tell them. I go, you don't. You don't. There's not a job. This is like a luxury. It's a relationship. Should be a cherry on to an already great life.
Speaker 6: You've agreed because.
Speaker 1: Yourself, I don't. I certainly don't want another job, Like I don't want girlfriends to feel like an occupation. I have an occupation, right it comed Yeah, I don't need enough. I don't need a second one.
Speaker 7: Well, I think when when we say that to someone, especially for a man who doesn't feel like they have a place, because I think there's a that idea of I don't need a man, which you know, I think is really sourced from the pain of the real.
Speaker 1: Of men sucking. No.
Speaker 7: But truthfully, like the relational dynamics that were abusive, that were financially abusive, we you know, I'm forty five. So I look up my I look at society when I grew up, and that was really when divorce really increased, especially in nineteen eighty six in the US, because that's when separation went from three years to one year. So all of a sudden, there was this huge wave of women especially who were like, well, three years is a lot to be separated before a divorce. I could do one year. So divorce actually skyrocketed in eighty six. It originally skyrocketed with I mean, you had this sexual revolution, you had the feminist revolution, so you had all these movements at the exact same time that the Divorce Act went in, and that was the first wave, but then this was the second wave. And so I think, what we're we're healing is this residue from relational dynamics that especially occurred in our own parents and maybe for some younger people now today their grandparents, where the woman did not have autonomy sovereignty.
Speaker 6: Because if you think about it.
Speaker 7: If you're if you depend on your relationship for financial security, that means you depend on your relationship for your safety. So that means if you are to rock the boat, you rock.
Speaker 1: Your survival form feels a childhood part two, you know, because it's like the same You're like, this is just the same dynamic that you know you have when you're a.
Speaker 7: Child, right, And so it's like, how as because that power dynamic can exist, right, Like, let's say I was dating a woman who was the breadwinner. The power dynamic will exist if she's paying more things. So we're not saying that's wrong. But in the book, what we say is bring forward what are the implicit contracts of power dynamic so that we can if I'm paying, if she's paying, how does that make me feel?
Speaker 6: What does that make me?
Speaker 7: Not talk about because you know, Harriet Lerner talks about this like she's the best.
Speaker 6: And she was saying that because I said to her, why do more women?
Speaker 7: I got eighty five percent of my following as women, And I was like, why do more.
Speaker 6: Women consume relational content?
Speaker 7: And she said, because the subordinate group always needs to learn the needs and nuances of the dominant group for survival, So like women need to learn how to be emotional ninjas so they don't die. And I was like, wow, that's really interesting. And so we think about like what you were saying about not wanting a boyfriend who's a project like where they need to have something to do, And I think about how for a lot of men, our value is in the doing. It's in like providing, oh for sure. So it's like, if I'm not providing money or rent or food or whatever it is, how else can I be needed? And what we equate the rebellion from these self abandoning relationships where women didn't have voices, and that could be true of other dynamics. It's like the response is usually I don't need anybody, right, And we're saying it's actually super healthy to be needed and need. It's just that we don't trust when we need someone because it's like when someone's afraid of commitment, I would say, you're not afraid of commitment, you're afraid of what commitment leads to.
Speaker 6: You already have a story. You don't trust yourself, you don't trust others.
Speaker 7: So it's like, what we really want to look at is one type of what type of people are we drawing into our lives, and can we actually offer vulnerabilities and needs that they could attend to that are not financially based, that are not a problem, like you're not fixing something, but you're actually, you know, maybe rubbing my.
Speaker 1: Feet or like just being there for the person, right and checking in.
Speaker 7: And like my wife, she whenever she opens a jar, she's like, oh, can you open this? And I'm like, I know she can open jars, but I'm in charge of her access to peanut butter. That is, I'll take it, right.
Speaker 2: See, I was actually gonna bring up something very similar because like a lot of women's actual like have have recommended me, like my female friends have like basically recommended like creating jobs that I can do myself to make the men in my life feel needed.
Speaker 1: And while I I'm not going to cause play like it's ridiculous to me that says the man's self worse's wrapped up in providing providing a thing, of course.
Speaker 7: And then and then the next part of this thought, which I think is just maybe what you're saying is, well, then it's just more placating to men, right. So imagine if instead of that we oriented to it from actually not trying to carry everything ourselves, right, Because the opposite.
Speaker 6: Of a dependent is an independent.
Speaker 7: And so yeah, I mean you see this politically too, It's like collectivism versus individuated. It's like relationships either we either abandon relationship for ourselves or abandon ourselves for a relationship. And I'm saying, how do you be a self and be with another? And where the intention not cause playing because I agree with you, like not pretending I have I need to be saved in.
Speaker 6: A castle now it's so fake, it's bullshit.
Speaker 7: So instead it's like, what are things that I carry that I actually am so used to carrying on my own that I can now trust someone else to support me with which I'm guilty of this. I'm the like I got everything and then I'm like, oh, like buried.
Speaker 3: Talk to me.
Speaker 1: I'm busy, and you're like, Jesus Christ, that's it.
Speaker 7: And that's I mean, that's self abandonment, that's codependency, that's it.
Speaker 6: It's like, I'm going to do everything, so.
Speaker 1: How do you like? I know, one of the things I was super codependent, and I'm in a relationship now that started off super like toxic dynamic because I was going after somebody who was like no, I'm like but yeah, and then we are in a really healthy, loving, beautiful relationship. And one of the things that I with trick that I used was like, if this relationship ends, it's okay, You'll be fine, You'll be the same person you were, and like just reminding myself of that because I think back to my previous relationships and it was this thing of like what will I do if this if this world that we've built in, the safety nest that I've built in this relationship goes away, Like I'll die and it's like oof. So just reminding yourself being comfortable with uncomfortable, you know, uncomfortable outcomes.
Speaker 6: I think that's essential. It's like you're still a self regardless of your relationship.
Speaker 3: Step.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that was the same for me, you know, formally in breakups, I was like, you know, I would ruminate and be like, oh my god, I miss I need them back. But it was it wasn't that. It was that I needed to finally stand on my own two feet and build a life that was truly about cultivating the most powerful version of me, you know, the most stepping into my fullest purpose, my potential, and not sourcing that from my relationship. I think for a lot of us, our relationships become our lives and then we lose them and we lose everything.
Speaker 1: Well, it's you know, it's so tricky when you get in, when you enter, when you fall in love with somebody, the chemicals that happen in your body, The sky is bluer, the birds are chirping louder every even if you're having a bad day. You don't give a fuck, and like that, that way of living and that kind of feeling. It's like, who wouldn't want that? All right the time?
Speaker 6: And there's drugs trying to get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when and when it feels like it's being compromised or maybe it's not leading, and you're like, whoa, what the fuck? And we act like heroin addicts, it's like, that's that's tricky. The feelings that happen when you first start a relationship or not misleading, but they make it difficult.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I remember it was Ramdas who said that we get lost in the idea of the object of love, like we confuse falling in life with being in love, and huh, yeah, I really love it when I heard that, because it just reminded me so many times I've been in the honeymoon phase. And what I love what rom DAWs talked about is that the experience let's say it's meditation or drugs or LSD or mushrooms or love. We think that that experience is only accessed through that, right, But he's saying what it does is it reminds you that it lives within you. So what feeling is in your body exactly? So you think the object is what provides you love. Like I remember working with this woman is like I'm just more funny when I'm in relationships, and I was like, well.
Speaker 1: You have that funny in you, girl, exactly.
Speaker 7: But what they just wake up with you is a type of joy and access to play, right, And it's like.
Speaker 1: In your house to like, different people bring out different sides. I think this goes for for everybody, Like different people bring out different sides of you, right, and like a romantic partner. But it's like, how do you bring out that side? Like some people I'm really attracted to hanging out with because I like who I am around them, which is a little selfish, but hopefully they like who they are around me and we can both be selfish about it. But how do you bring that side of yourself out by yourself? Man?
Speaker 6: A mystery?
Speaker 2: I was like, that's so funny because like, for me, relationship brings out my bitch monster. So I'm like, as long as I'm not in a relationship, I'm great.
Speaker 1: Like I'm the best I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Now. I haven't had sex and months, haven't drank, didn't do anything really fun, nothing's really going well, you know truly, but I feel great like this like birds and chirping thing that we're talking about, Like, I feel that now.
Speaker 1: Because you're acting authentic, yeah, to who you are just hanging out? Well, I mean I can kind of always doing that, but sometimes I.
Speaker 2: Do things that like I just sometimes it's just like, really I just need less.
Speaker 7: People in my life. Well, you know, sometimes I found for me too. It's like, as you were saying, you're around some people who bring you alive. Yeah, you know, and I really In the book, we talk about creating a container for yourself.
Speaker 6: Which is how do you do that?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Where you actually do not You actually go into an intentional space, you know, much like a cocoon where you're like the intention of this is to get to know myself. Like you think about what you're talking about. If we're living from the neck up, we're not in contact with what our body is telling us, maybe because we had to disassociate and learn to do that as a kid. So the container, what we're talking about, is really thawing out the nervous system where colors are brighter and birds are louder. And what you do what I usually recommend to people, which I think is it's funny how people respond to it. But you say, like, no engagement at all with whatever sex you're attracted to, so you actually there's no sexting, no texting, no nothing, and you do that for three months and usually people are.
Speaker 1: Like right, right, even a male friend.
Speaker 6: If you're sourcing from them, yes, oh okay.
Speaker 7: So if you know that, you're like you get a buzz, like you get affirmation of your hotness, of your so I can talk to my brother, you can talk to your brother anyone. Dog my dog, Yeah I have an ill dog. Yeah, okay, I have to give them away from only a you sour from.
Speaker 5: Dogs?
Speaker 1: Are they're so good for your nervous system? Yeah?
Speaker 6: For regulation? Yeah, but yeah, the container.
Speaker 7: I was working with this woman where she was like, three months sounds good, and then as it was coming she.
Speaker 6: Was like, I could do a month.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I'm like, you're negotiating with what's possible for you, Like you're already saying I can't do that, but you can, and it's actually true you can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm giddy at she's just touching all my male friends being like sorry, I can't talk for three months. Like that sounds.
Speaker 6: Great, sounds like you're really in the cocoon.
Speaker 1: That sounds sick.
Speaker 2: Well, because there men, men drain me in a way that women don't. You know, It's like there's a lot of more reciprocity and female friendships. My best friend is as a man, he's gay, but there's reciprocity there, so that's no problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think when any relationship lacks reciprocity, yeah, for sure. And of course it's like we have to say no, we have to request that the relationship becomes balanced yeah or no yes, And so it's like, of course, what a great model of like why would we invest in things that don't invest in us?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: But if we're so used to being the one who does all that maintain Like I think about the people that if you never texted them, they'd never text you, right, or like that's.
Speaker 1: Me, I would never text anyone. No one would ever hear. I'm guilty of that.
Speaker 7: You probably get a lot of messages I hear people who are creators.
Speaker 6: Which there's such a poll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I just don't reach out like I always respond though, Yeah.
Speaker 6: You do, see I always respond.
Speaker 1: I don't respond.
Speaker 7: I'm a bad Well, actually I'm not a bad texture. I just don't like texting.
Speaker 1: I don't either.
Speaker 7: Yes, Like I think about social media and I'm like, shit is so heavy. Yes, And it's like, especially if you're putting out your creativity into the world, much like you guys do in many different ways. Yeah, it's just because I don't think you're designed to get that much feedback.
Speaker 1: No, we're not. There's too much stimulus. It's too much, too much information. And they're also like, it's really starting to depress me walking around New York City. Not that I don't do this, because I do, but just you look around and there's maybe one hundred people that you can physically see in that second, and they're all looking at their phones, and you're like, Dude, this isn't good.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 1: Look up, You're in one of the greatest cities in the world. Just fucking look up. Do your email at home?
Speaker 6: Like I had someone almost walk in at Oh.
Speaker 1: That happens all the time.
Speaker 2: I just feel like that people have I don't like being accessible twenty four hours a day. That's what really bothers me, and I really I remember getting my mom wanting me to have a cell phone in high school, like for safety, obviously, and I cried and I fought her on it. I'm the only kid I've ever heard of who've cried not to get a cell phone.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when I and then when I when I was an adult at my first like really really big serious job, which was in talent management, my boss gave me a BlackBerry for Christmas, obviously so he could reach out to me more. And I cried again.
Speaker 6: I remember blacky BT.
Speaker 2: The time I've gotten a fucking device where people can access him more.
Speaker 1: My reaction is to cry, and I'm not like a big crier, So this is like a big reaction from me. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well you think about what your body's actually telling you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It is like I think for a lot of us, this is me projecting too, is that I didn't know how to take all that energy and not take it in you know, yeah, lot of ways, because I am very sensitive. I'm very empathetic, but I also lacked boundaries and energetic boundaries.
Speaker 6: I was watching this I forget his name.
Speaker 7: But I was watching a video the other day about creative burnout and they were saying the guy, I think he's a professor at Harvard, he was saying that the people who naturally are in creative are arts are people who overtly self express So burnout is a result of actually people who go into it are already biased to burn out because of all the emotional processing and expressing. And I thought, that's really interesting that we've, like I think in my work I really monetized my codependency. I was like, oh, I want to help people, I'll just create a brand and get paid. And so what had to change was that I no longer needed to source from it because otherwise, and I think most people in caretaking sort of roles coaches, therapists, dieticians, doctors, you know, all the name them are oriented their job because as kids, they took care of someone, they managed the energetics of the home, and so they have a natural skill set that's a survival strategy that can become a superpower when it's no longer sourcing a need to be needed. So even though you're getting paid to help somebody, there's still a part of you that needs the validation of the helping. So there's still a book into the person you're serving.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, but it's like helping, helping is it one type of energy attached to it. Serving is a different type of like serving people is a different type like helping implies. I was reading a quote that it's like helping imply something is broken or someone is broken. The fixing and helping they have they're both negative energies. They're they're called they're a little separate fixing and helping. But then serving, how could I be of service to you? Is like a totally different energy.
Speaker 6: It sounds unconditional. You're right because in that helping.
Speaker 1: Anything return because I don't need you to give me something in order for me to go.
Speaker 7: I'm glad I did that right, Right, it's reinforcing the other person then has.
Speaker 6: To identify as broken. Yeah, yeah, good point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would be curious in stand up comedy, how do you, I mean, how do you separate yourself from because the feedback also allows you to shape what you create.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but also sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it doesn't get a laugh, you're like, all right, back to the draw. You just take your emotions out of it. Yeah, you can't wrap yourself worse up in how your set was. That took me personally a long time.
Speaker 6: How long does that take?
Speaker 1: You get used to it, because then you see other comics do well on stage and then the audience is like, we don't like them, or you see a comic that you're like, this guy sucks and the audience loves it, and you're like, okay, so you can safely take your emotions out of how you did.
Speaker 6: It's not it's practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just witnessing other people like either like have different experiences with audiences. For me, that's that's what helps a little.
Speaker 6: Fy it is it different being a woman in comedy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah for sure. I mean I like it because you're in the minority. So there's something unique about you right away, which is cool. Not I mean, now there's just so many much anymore. Yeah, you go to any of the clubs in New York, there's I mean the lineup white women really not, that's not but yeah, we started it felt like there was some some type of unique thing. But yeah, it's not. I mean I think with most women it's like you get you'll get a spot, maybe sooner than you're ready for it, because the booker wants to fuck you. And then if you're the only woman on the lineup and you're you're a little bit of a weak sauce and everyone's like, well it's women aren't fully and it's like, well, no, it's just the book. I wanted to fuck her and she any booked her and then she said yeah, as young as I know, you know, so that happens.
Speaker 2: But I also felt I think you have to be like in your material, like there are some things that you can see, like a charming man can get away with that even no matter how charming you are as a woman, like topics that you can't. You have to have like more likable, palatable topics.
Speaker 6: And not as crass or not as you can be.
Speaker 2: Crass, but only sexually. So it's just so funny to me because people, you know, it's like it's almost like a hack complaint at this point, especially online, that women comedians talk too much about sex, But like I challenge anyone to try and go and talk about something that is interesting or high level that not that doesn't have to do with sex, but like it's like politically jarring or something like that.
Speaker 1: Try and talk about it and see how it goes. It's not going to go well, right.
Speaker 2: People are on people expect women to be a certain way and want to hear certain things from them, And I think, like step one is hearing graphic sex stuff from them, But we haven't gotten to step two yet, you know, like in the likability category.
Speaker 1: Is that wild?
Speaker 7: Because you think that's very similar to like the rules we take on relationally what we expect from women and don't do too much too emotional to a survey, right, But then we also are like, don't be too sexual, but if you're a comic, please talk about sex, because that's how that's the acceptable. It's such a mind weird, yeah, because it's like, no matter you're not, you can't.
Speaker 6: You can't well when you.
Speaker 1: Stop warning exactly, the only way you win is you have to be fiercely authentic to yourself.
Speaker 7: I think it's such a I would saying to you guys before we hit record that like what an opportunity to both like on a large level, be empathic to a space like you have to be receiving feedback constantly. Oh yeah, and then you have to be shifting delivery constantly, so you become a master communicator.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, and you realize, like, wow, saying this word in this different of a tone makes the joke completely different.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I find for me too, that humor was always a way that I deflected intimacy. But then I also see that humor, when.
Speaker 1: Used it can be very vulnerable too, like when you were when you're when your partner jokes about something where you're like, uh uh, you know, if you had a fight and then somebody is willing to like throw the first joke in and you're like, that's nice, Okay, we can put our armor down, right.
Speaker 7: It's one of the top qualities of successful couples, is humor.
Speaker 1: Oh really that's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank god.
Speaker 1: In the distance, I just we just we just laugh until we cry all day. I love it.
Speaker 6: That's so fun.
Speaker 1: Do you get I wanted to ask you if you still get triggered by your wife?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: What what does that look like? And what do you do? Like, what is it like? What something that she does or says that triggers you? And then what is what happens behind the curtains of your brain of how you get out of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we talk about triggers in the book. The context we also go into is good triggers. So when we think about triggers, we often think about you know, like one that does for me is my wife giving me feedback. That's is that any kind Yeah, any solicitor unsolicited?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because my you want to be perfect.
Speaker 7: Well, I just like, if I'm getting feedback, it means I wasn't good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the thought. So I I you get butt hurt. Yeah, well there's this thought.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's well, and there's this idea that you're healed when the triggers are done. But actually that's not true. It's just what we do with triggers that changes. So my trigger is just a radar that's saying, hey, we've been in this experience before, and last time, you felt really bad about your you know, when you were a kid, you didn't feel like you were enough. So when I get feedback, I love it because I'm like able to observe that and then breathe into it and then ask questions. Because the antidote to defensiveness is actually curiosity.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So if someone if your natural response is to inflame, get defensive, make it about the other person, then what we actually would say is tell me more about what you're saying, or I can see some truth in what you're saying.
Speaker 6: And I would say.
Speaker 7: Ninety nine point nine percent of the time, my wife is speaking one hundred percent truth, Okay, And I'm curious, yeah, because everything she does is with a positive intention of like me seeing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had to remind myself. I'm like, your partner is not against you on your team because I'm like, no, you're gonna fuck it. You're gonna fuck me.
Speaker 6: You're gonna fuck me.
Speaker 1: In any minute. It's like, what an exhausting, What an exhausting place to be all the time?
Speaker 7: It's absolutely and so that trigger I now am able to breathe into it as always ask questions. But most of the time, and if not, we are very much about repair. So like, if I don't respond, how I maybe could have my best I come back and I'm like, I'm sorry, I could have done that better. She's really I would say, she's usually first to return. She's definitely models that better than I do. But that's the thing is like the the like one of the principles we talk about in the book is is to have positive regard for each other and also that if something's coming up for one of us, it's coming up for both of us.
Speaker 6: We just don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that we honor whatever is coming up for each person as needing.
Speaker 6: To come up for the relationship.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So there's no longer do you want to avoid subjects, right, because you realize that the team, right, and the and the relationship needs to work with this material right, So we actually see that the frictions of our relationship are actually allowing us both to grow. And we just had a kid, so you know, it's it's like amplified because you have less sleep you have and you know my that I mentioned stan tecam before he wrote a book called The Baby Bomb and he was talking. I interviewed him and he said to me that that everything that comes up as a new parent is just stuff that wasn't resolved yet from prior to being a parent.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh, beautiful, morse.
Speaker 1: I got to learn more lessons, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: The good trigger's part is that we can actually be triggered by good stuff like vulnerability, openness, reliability, safety, trust, And so it's recognizing that, hey, like we will sabotage or push away what we actually long for because the last time we were in relationship to that thing, we were really hurturt. Yeah, so you know, I always think that it's painfully ironic that where the thing we want most wells, you know, love is also where the thing we most want to avoid lives. And it's almost this strange humor, a dark humor, but that requires us to walk towards it, to walk towards it, you know. Yeah, there's a mutuality to that.
Speaker 2: For feedback, I think a lot of people struggle with that. And I hear what you're what you're saying responding with curiosity I think is great advice.
Speaker 1: But what do you do with a partner who.
Speaker 2: Is like I think there's a time and a place for feedback, And if you're someone who's constantly giving or constantly like expected to receive feedback, no one is living perfectly at any time, Like, how do you convey to someone be like I don't need fucking constant nos, right, you know, I mean, I think there's a time and a space for it. But if someone's that's that's that's getting into nagging territory, you know.
Speaker 7: All. Yeah, well that's a great point because there is a delineation between criticism and feedback. So a lot of people learn to connect through criticism.
Speaker 1: Oh do they mark? They do?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 7: And like the person you're talking about is like constantly giving feedback. What they're really trying to do is connect, probably what they learn from a parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it sucks because it's like the thing that you're doing to try to connect makes me want to run away and go to the grave without ever seeing.
Speaker 7: You again, right, because it's like all you're doing is reminding me that I never do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: So I think one of the parts of that is saying like giving that feedback to the person, saying like, hey, can you start to connect with me through positive experiences? And also can you try to let me win like acknowledge things, because a lot of the times we don't let our partner win because if they win, then we have vulnerability and closeness. If I'm constantly nagging them, then I get to be the one who's seeing all that problem, so I don't have a problem. So it's the focus is on them, and they then are constantly feeling like they suck. So it's creating a relational dynamic where I'm in power and you're in the problem.
Speaker 2: That's also good because it feels like a lot of times I think people feel like when their partner is winning, the winning is somehow distancing their partner from that like this, this is creating a space because now you you are now better and I am worse when in reality, and I mean like this is like kind of like the anti antithesis of how I think genuinely, but I truly do feel like when I'm dating someone you know who's I actually like that it's like it's a team effort and I really in my soul believe when they win, I'm winning, right, And you know, the the reverse has been a lot harder to sell though that's just because of like that's more like a heterosexual female male dynamic.
Speaker 1: Though with the women winning.
Speaker 7: That's with powerful women, because well, when we're still operating on things.
Speaker 6: Like do I text back, do I not do it?
Speaker 7: Call? Sure, we're still thinking about like the upper hand. As soon as you exactly, as soon as you're in the power dynamic game. You're recognizing that power is somehow you're thinking power is finite, right, And what you're saying, which I love, is that your partner becoming powerful doesn't make you less powerful in unless some way you gain power by their smallness.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so it's making a whole it's to me, it's I'm just thinking of it like the whole unit now has more value.
Speaker 6: Way more like I don't.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, I'm like, how are we not seeing it this way?
Speaker 6: Well if men?
Speaker 7: And I think there's pointing to a really important thing that men need to learn today, which I think when women become powerful sometimes that can be a protective mechanism which makes total sense, or retaliation, but it's like can they soften and still be met eye to eye? And then can men allow a woman to be powerful without thinking in some way they don't have control? Remember these unconscious hooks I'm talking about. If my woman can pay for all her things and take care of herself, who am I?
Speaker 6: Oh you're a self without that? So you have to grow and learn that.
Speaker 7: And that's that for us men that's in the heterosexual dynamic is really important to learn. I mean, these happen in any relationship dynamic, these power shifts and like how do I use money, how do I use sex?
Speaker 6: How do I use all these things?
Speaker 7: But I think for men especially, it's learning that having a powerful woman who got who has full access to her voice actually is in service of you if you can handle what she's telling you right.
Speaker 2: Well, for sure, nothing's more confident than seeing like a guy a guy kind of just like calmly like let their baby do their thing. Now you see it, I mean obviously like to actually see it.
Speaker 1: You see it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I add an award show if you actually want to like visualize it. But yeah, like I love watching that in a celebrity dynamic where there's like maybe like a much even you know, this is just a hack example at this point, but even with like a travel Kelsey and Taylor Swift obviously they're both famous, but Taylor Swift is way way more famous. So it's even just watch him just kind of like let her exist and and do her thing and not try to like out tailor her or something.
Speaker 7: It's very and you get smashed by the Swift is also you'd become an album, you'd become a top album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I mean I just love that because I mean, I was I've been thinking also for the interview about what you said at the beginning when we're talking about codependency, that a codependent person is often not the main character in their own story. And I've I've described being a heterosexual woman in the world as that. So often I feel like we are a supporting.
Speaker 1: Role in our own movie. And and so.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of coming back to that, like how can we receive love and then still be the star of our own film.
Speaker 1: That's that's the mountain.
Speaker 7: Isn't that the I think we have to live that question, you know, because it's something that you're always getting in for. And I think there's an important differentiation of because often when people start to center themselves in their lives in the relationship, who am I?
Speaker 6: What do I want?
Speaker 7: Especially because of relationship dynamics, you'll just see that be a more challenging question for a woman to begin to ask, and who am I without the validation of a partner of being chosen, like your worthiness is innate. But there's a line where we'll call that self centeredness. But self centeredness is at the cost of relationship. Being a centered self is not. It's actually in service of a relationship. And that question you're asking is like, how do we how do we begin to prioritize ourselves make our lives about us? You know, I think about it being like life on your terms. But the why is in brackets, because if it's in service of you, it's in service of me. And where there isn't this, you have to trade. And I think that's the delineation also between self and compromise. Yeah, compromise, Like let's say my wife needed us to move somewhere because she needed to do something for work or and that might mean I have to compromise something wherever we are, I would we would work together to see, like to acknowledge what I might be losing for something for her to gain. But it's actually in service of the unit to move forward, and so that compromises in service of the relationship with the recognition of the lass and the recognition of the gain. Self abandonment is often done in silence. It often precedes resentment. Resentment is one hundred percent of the time, one hundred ninety nine point nine one hundred percent of the time because it's a reflection that you're not prioritizing yourself in some way.
Speaker 1: And I think we're getting better at relationships now to foresee the resentment. Like I've certainly thought this, and I've heard I'm hearing people talk about this in relationships. If I agree to do this, I will resent you. That's it's great thinking ahead, you know.
Speaker 7: Right, right, And if anyone says that to you, you should never do it. You should never allow them right to do it. Yeah, because resentment, if we're owning our side of the street, we might say I really resent you, but it's really because I didn't honor me.
Speaker 1: Because I sacrificed something I would didn't want to sacrifice you.
Speaker 7: Right, And I think like one of my most painful experiences in my life was a betrayal when I was nineteen.
Speaker 6: Oh I went through I got cheated on.
Speaker 7: Oh And I remember much later processing that experience.
Speaker 6: How much later, like ten years twelve years later?
Speaker 1: Oh you held it in? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I never. I never dealt with it. I drank.
Speaker 7: I did everything to avoid confronting that deep pain of like when I love people, they lie to me, they cheat on me, I lose myself.
Speaker 6: I don't stand for myself.
Speaker 7: But in hindsight, what I saw was that my experience of betrayal was actually preceded by me not honoring myself previously. And like, long story short, she had gone away to school and we had said it's okay to see other people, but I didn't see right.
Speaker 1: And so that's the heartbreaking part that was it.
Speaker 7: That was like that moment drew a path to where, of course a betrayal was gonna happen because I was living a betrayal.
Speaker 1: Right. We get a lot of emails from a lot of times women who they'll say, like their boyfriends or husbands or something did all these things and they're still there and they're so heartbroken and they're focused on the guy. But I'm like, I think you're actually heartbroken because you allowed yourself to do that. And that's a tough pill, my gal.
Speaker 7: You have to come to that truth though, Yeah, Yeah, you have to because if you can't, you can't change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that like it's almost like reassuring in a way that like the biggest heartache that I've ever experienced because I betrayed myself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, same, you know, that's bummer, And usually that can be preceded by being a kid who had to betray yourself to stay safe. Right, So then we split and there is a part of us that needed to say the thing, do the thing, access to our power, but that had to go silent.
Speaker 6: And we do this in many ways.
Speaker 7: We wear many masks, you know, because as a child we learn don't be too funny, don't be too emotional, don't be you.
Speaker 6: Know, be seen not heard.
Speaker 7: We have all these different things we're taught from culture and family, but then as adults we need access to that again.
Speaker 6: And so it is true.
Speaker 7: It is through the radical confrontation with the truth, with reality, because if I could be with yes, they did the thing, Yes, I stayed in relationship dynamics that led to that thing. We often think when we take responsibility for all of the experiences that happen to our in our lives, that we're negating the experience of being a victim. But you, of course can be a victim to circumstances and other people's behaviors one hundred percent, but we can't change them. So we have to change how we see the story, which is if if even though I didn't choose it, and I'm not negating the experience of my victimization. How is this actually in service of what I need to do today, and that that is actually holding the complexity of the human experience.
Speaker 6: That's true anyways, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but we don't know how to not be the victim of something and also be empowered by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's hard to do because I think the empowered it's like, well, say you date narcissist. Yeah, no, I don't know the time, Say you date narcissist after narcissis and it's like, yes, I am. But at some point it's like, all right, that's a clear cut, Like there's very clearly personal responsibility to be had here. The common denominator is you, right, Like, there's no you can't get mad at that because you can't. And I think that people also say like or maybe they're scared. At least I was at one point of like, well, if I take personal responsibility, I don't have to deal with the shame of the behavior. And yes, that's true, but like that's good.
Speaker 6: That's the kind of shame that changes you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a shame does have a place.
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 7: There's a such thing called healthy shame, which is not toxic shame, and it's the recognition of the violation of our own reality.
Speaker 6: Yeah, our own values.
Speaker 1: The original definition of sin is to go against yourself, and then religion was just it was weaponized against Yeah. Right, that's a beautiful definition. We have to wrap up. But Eric, I didn't know if you wanted to have we usually Eric's are our new third mic, and so I didn't know what to chime in. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like I just did a lot of learning myself.
Speaker 1: That's what this Love That podcast is all about. Education.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't think I have any questions.
Speaker 6: I feel like, are you opening your heart?
Speaker 1: Yeah? His heart's very open.
Speaker 6: I can.
Speaker 1: All right, well then plug your book mark. Yeah, let's go. Where can we find it?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Is it available in.
Speaker 7: It's available in every form, Kindle, audible, Yeah, the audible is actually, yeah, all the places wherever you get your books. The audio version is has my wife and I having conversations after each chapter.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was fun. That was really fun.
Speaker 1: Bonus.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to be able to give people more insight into our own experience and writing it and yeah, it's called liberated love, and it's about releasing codependent patterns and creating the love and relationship you desire and so everything we talked about, we like navigate what shaped you, so your relationship blueprint, we go through attachment and attachment theory. One thing we do different than a lot of books in this space is that we overlay the nervous system in this and how important it is, Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Important because safety is attached to it exactly and it's and really the work is incomplete without integration from the nervous system.
Speaker 7: And we talk about you know, the breakup or the first relationship, the breakup and then how to go back together and and it is for single people or people in relationship, and it gives you all the tools to do all the things we're talking about today.
Speaker 1: Wow. How thanks for having me, Thanks for existing, and thanks you for the great voice out there. We really appreciate it. We've learned a lot from you.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Liberated Love is out now by the time you're listening to this podcast, So thank you so much. This has been Guys we Fucked, the anti slat chiming podcast. We'll talk to you next Friday. Guys We Fucked is presented by Luminary, created and hosted by Karn Fisher and Christina Hutchinson. Editing and music coordination by Mike Coscarelli. Theme song by Rob Patterson and Jake Cozen.
Speaker 1: Suck my wet ass pussy. Christina sends to cut that before, but now it's in airy. Yeah, let's keep it.
Speaker 5: Chris stuck hell hellos thoughts and you give it a round high fe comes to the service a thousand degrees.
Speaker 1: No way to let it out, No way.
Speaker 5: You're not broken in the world to think you are in the curst, bad for the sun.
Speaker 3: In the hot time, Just how that the will making these to be. Don't stop.
Speaker 5: The hot time, I cannoice.
Speaker 3: Think on your lad.
Speaker 5: You don't have to leave thayla An the end, there's poorl outside.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of weird and