Speaker 1: It's a late fifteen to ten touchdown sack.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Welcome into a very special edition of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Muddy Smith in person, though today top golf El Segundo. The Chargers have just selected Joe Alt fifth overall, the big massive tackle from Notre Dame and money do you want to give a give an eye?
Speaker 1: Told you so? No, I don't you. You've been saying it. You've been saying it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I think it's it's a product of what the Chargers are and what they want to be and what their identity is. And that is so important in this particular sport is to have an identity, to establish a culture, to be a particular type of football team that you know when you walk into the facility every single day.
Speaker 4: That's just how we play football.
Speaker 2: And I think it's something that's been missing and one of the reasons why when we talked about who do you want him to hire? I said, I want to hire a winner, And there's nobody that they could hire that we better than Jim Harbaugh to walk through that door and say I have won here, I've won here, I've won here, I've won here. This is how we do it. Follow me. You know, your losers, I'm a winner. Let's make you winners along with me. And this is the first step. You know, well it's not the first step, but this is a step toward that result. And that's we're gonna play physical football. It's not lip service. When Jim Harbaugh's at the owners meeting and says, offensive line, what's the most important? Yeah, you know, exactly, five fingers on a glove. You know, it's a fist. You work together, and every other position group on the team benefits from the offensive line and they don't benefit from anybody else.
Speaker 4: Like that's.
Speaker 2: That's that's what was announced. When when you draft Joe Alt, when Malik Neighbors and Roma Dounsday and any defensive player you want are there, and you take a six foot nine, three hundred and fifty pound guy that is going to beat the snot out of opponents with Rashaun Slater on the other side, that's what you're announcing. Yet you better strap it up, man, better be ready to go, because we're gonna beat your ass for sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's no surprise.
Speaker 3: And you know you hear coach Bischoff saying this is gonna be an offensive line centric football team. And I think if you're a charges fan, you should feel good that this team has an identity and it's been established from the beginning. You already had Rashaun Slater who was here earlier, with Zion Johnson.
Speaker 1: Right now, you bring.
Speaker 3: Joe Alton and you're able to protect Justin Herbert and really bring this running game to life. Money this is this is another big component of what they want to do is run the football and Joe Alt's.
Speaker 1: Going to provide that on the other side with Slater, Yeah, that's the key.
Speaker 2: So you know, a couple of things there doing the show, you know, doing the draft party. Here, we had Rashaan, we had Zion, we had a Looie Gilman. We could not have picked three better people to have won. A Loe Notre Dame who gave us some insight into what I'll start there. So a Looie when we were talking to him, said, listen, offensive line at Notre Dame is a special, exclusive group of people. That is the identity of that football team. And he talked about how how great it is. And I just happened to come back from Hawaii, so and I happened to know somebody who played at the same high school he did, Kahuku, which is known as like they're known as, you know, the butt kickin high school team.
Speaker 4: They're up by on the north Shore.
Speaker 2: It's not Punaho, it's not Saint Louis. It's in kind of the nicer part of town. It's kind of the we're big, we're strong, you're gonna feel it. So he got excited when we brought that up. And then he brought up Notre Dame. He's like, just know, like, when you're a football player at Notre Dame, you're in an exclusive group. Playing football at that place is special, he said. But then there's another sub sect, which is the offensive lineman in Notre Dame. And he said, they're in their own little sort of category and their own group. And you know, he played with McGlinchey, with Quinton Nelson Nelson, and so he brought those guys up. He said, to know that Joe Alt he was juiced, he was excited. He's like, I can tell you man, that's where we picked him, and that's what I've heard about. The Chargers got a heck of a football player today that's going to come in and help continue to set this tone of how they expect to play football.
Speaker 3: And I just talked to a Lowhi too, And you know, how does the offensive line help the entire team?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And Jim Harball alluded to that, like it helps everybody, it helps the defense. Time of possession. This would be a time of possession football team too.
Speaker 1: Money. If you run the ball, you sustain.
Speaker 3: Drives, you get first downs, You're gonna have that defense well rested on the sideline. And I just I think that that's another element to how they're gonna play football, starting with a guy like Joe Wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look, maybe the defense doesn't even have to come back on the field for a change. Right, how many times have we got the game to the end of game situation, you know, calling the game and all the Chargers have to do is pick up one, maybe two.
Speaker 4: First downs, and they can't get it. They can't even get a couple of yards. You know.
Speaker 2: You think about the Jacksonville playoff game and you're talking about six carries for thirteen yards when you're up, you know, twenty eight nothing. And that's what happens to the run game. So you know, it is the running game that's what we're talking about. It's Gus Edwards. You know, we had Zion up here, and so two things stood out from that Zion he said, I said, you know kind of you know what it's like the block for runners, and what are you thinking when you see JK.
Speaker 4: Dobbins and Gus Edwards walking through there?
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, he's like Gus Edwards, He's like, man, that's that's a big guy.
Speaker 4: Like that's a running back that I'm blocking for. So you get that.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing I said, you know that we asked him was you know, offensive line, there's pass pro backing up and then there's run blocking pushing forward. And I said, how much different is it in terms of what you're being asked to do pushing forward? And he literally sat up and he's like, oh man, he goes, you know how much better it is for offensive linemen to push forward? How much more excited you are about coming to work every day when you know you're pushing forward. You're the one punishing the opponent and it's not the other opponent that's pushing you and you're just doing your pass sets and trying to set up That's what these guys want man, that's what they want to do. They want to dominate, they want to punish, they want to push forward. And that's what Greg Roman and Jim Harbar are all about. And that's what Joe Alt is going to be a big part of because now he had six foot nine, thirty five plus inch arms on the right side of that line, pushing forward and getting nasty like those Notre Dame you know, offensive linemen.
Speaker 3: Do you know sometimes you wonder you hear all these mock drafts and experts and you know, money and I were at the combat a couple of months ago talking to all these different people, and you just wonder, what do the teams actually think.
Speaker 1: And the board right now, we're.
Speaker 3: In the twenties right now as we take Steelers are on as we tape this twenty twenty exactly you know what, you know what GMS and the league are saying that tackle matters, yeah, right, because Latham goes off the board right after all, and there has been a run on tackles.
Speaker 1: So you wonder for the people. And over the last couple of.
Speaker 3: Months, we've talked about the wide receivers, right, We've talked about Marvin Harrison Junior and Roma Dunsday and Elik Neighbors, and how any of those three guys would have a perfect fit for the Chargers when Marvin Harrison goes at four. I think that's where it got really interesting. If two part question money, if Marvin Harrison was there at five, do you think the pick would have been different? And two? What would you say to the fan that says we should have taken Molak Neighbors?
Speaker 1: What are we doing? We got to take my league neighbors.
Speaker 4: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: You know we talked to Matt Harmon last week about all the receivers and yeah, man, watching I call play by play, you don't think I want to call Justin Herbert's seventy yard bombs to Melik Neighbors. You know what It's gonna be like me calling, hey, Joe, all just clean house man, and we got six yards on that first down carry. I'm I'm gonna say that a lot, and it's not as exciting as having a touchdown call.
Speaker 1: Well you can make it, yeah, but you know.
Speaker 2: Like they can clip those they play them on Sunday Night Football. Of course I wanted Elik Neighbors, you know, or Roma Dunze. You know which I was not shy about talking about how he was one of my favorite players in this draft. But at the same time, I think, what kind of what happens? And and look, this isn't just this isn't just fans, Like there are head coaches in the league in the NFL that get that have sway and they get into the first round and they make that first round pick and then they tell the front office, yeah, you guys do the rest. Wait a minute, this is not a one player draft. This is you're hoping to come away with, in the case of the Chargers right now, nine players that will make your team second rounder, third rounder, your high fourth round. Those guys better be starters. Like, this is not about one player. This is about how what are these nine players that you're going to get over this three day span gonna look like? And how is that gonna change your team? And it's not for twenty twenty four. It's you know, something to Tom Tellescoud always say to us, He's like, we're not drafting a guy for seventeen games. We're drafting him for five years and hopefully a second contract in ten years. So understand the Chargers look panay Sewell just got a twenty eight million dollar dollars a.
Speaker 1: Year to play right tackle, eighty eight guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he's a right tackle, look you know, and look he could be the left tackle, but they just you know, a decker that that's how they play it.
Speaker 4: But you get the point, like.
Speaker 2: Rashaun Slater's gonna sign a twenty eight million dollars a year deal. He's an All Pro, he's a left tackle. So think of this as a five year because you're gonna, you know, if everything goes as we suspect it's going to, and I don't know why it wouldn't, you're gonna pick up Joel's fifth year option. So now you've got your tackles, which very well could end up being the best tackles in the league, All pro Slater, I think Joel's going to be an All Pro as well. And now you have them locked up for five years at an average cost of about twelve million bucks a year for the two of the best tackle Like that changes the math on everything when you can save all that money at a premium position.
Speaker 4: So I just I get it.
Speaker 2: Just to answer you're coming back and ask the questions, you can reset it like, I get it. I get why you'd be excited about neighbors and why you desperate number eight neighbors.
Speaker 4: Are we riot? You know, God knows the amount of incoming.
Speaker 2: I've taken over the last two weeks for talking about what I think they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: But there is no throwing downfield if you're.
Speaker 2: Not pushing forward and you're not establishing the run and you're not protecting the quarterback.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you mentioned the Lions, because the Lions started in the trenches, right They got Decker, they got Seul, they built up both of their lines so they could then grab Jamiir Gibbs. I'm and ross Saint Brown is the highest paid receiver in the league right now, where'd he go after Joshua Palmer?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, so Brown?
Speaker 3: So starting in the trenches, that's what the Chargers are doing. They already have Slater in tow. I think Zion is gonna take a big step forward this year. I think that this can light a fire under Trey Pipkins. Keep in mind, like, yeah, we're talking about starting five, but when when coach Bischoff says offensive line centric, you're gonna need all these guys, you're gonna need to have depth that's required to win and kind of sustain a seventeen game season, but kind of been here to forward to the wide receiver position. I'm glad we had Harmon on recently too, because he talked about some of these other guys late in the first round. Second round eighty Mitchell still on the board, Xavier Worthy is still on the.
Speaker 1: Board as we take this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mconkey, pure saul le Get and I know that there's been mixed it's a mixed bag on the get. But there's a lot of guys that justin Herbert can get the football too, and maybe that starts in the second round. Money.
Speaker 2: Look, you know how many how many Stanford games I called where they had a sixth offensive lineman and three tight ends out there. So who knows, Maybe Pipkins is a sixth little lineman, you know, and that's what you do.
Speaker 4: You run a lot of that.
Speaker 1: So it all played tight end, didn't he?
Speaker 2: Yes, all was a tight end for two that's like. And that's the other thing too. I'm glad you mentioned that because for the people you're gonna you're gonna make a left tackle right tackle.
Speaker 4: Guy was a tight end for two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he figured out left tackle pretty quick, so you know, it didn't take him too long to transition from tight end to left tackle. I think he'll be fine going left tackle to right tackle. In terms of the wide receivers, I think there's just so many different ways, and look, I've just whatever. I basically people like, oh, you're a shill, you're a charger shill. You work for the team, You're gonna push whatever they do is the right thing to do. But I feel like I've been pretty consistent and I would not have been surprised if they would have taken to do and say, or if they would have taken neighbors, it would not have surprised them at all. I would have said, I get it, they're exceptional players. Maybe that was the best player on the board, and that's just what they're gonna do, and they'll find another offensive lineman in the second round and coach them up and be fine.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think what is important.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things that we can kind of speak to and you brought it up with the Lions. Is there any team in the NFL that has more of an identity as a football team that's connected to the identity of their head coach.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: It is Dan Campbell came in with that attitude, I am going to turn this place around. You guys have been losers for three decades, and we're gonna figure this out. We're gonna figure it out together. And he built a team of ass kickers and and line dominant players. And he drafted Piney Sewell, and he drafted Aiden Hutchinson and he you know, and he's got that line built around Ragnow and Decker, and he drafted Jumior Gibbs when everybody was coming at him for trading up to twelve to do that. And and look, they were damn near in the super Bowl. You know, they were close to being in the super Bowl because that's their identity.
Speaker 1: And the Chargers have more talent than the Lions.
Speaker 3: When when Campbell came in, I'm saying not now, but when they when they when they started this kind of rebuild, the one thing that stuck with me is they were losing and losing and losing, but they were like fighting their.
Speaker 4: Right face, were losing close games.
Speaker 1: They were losing close games.
Speaker 3: And so my point is that the Chargers have more talent than the Lions did when Dan Campbell started.
Speaker 1: So I don't look at it as like a Lion rebuilt per se.
Speaker 3: But I do think that it's it's gonna take a little time to really build a culture and an identity, uh that you haven't had in ever really with the Chargers in terms of what Harball's trying to bring.
Speaker 2: I think the thing with with the Chargers, you know, and I just I just bring it up to compare, like how important it is if you if you preach.
Speaker 4: That identity, then you need to back it up.
Speaker 2: You need you need to have the players to back it up to play that style of football. And that's what Dan Campbell did. We're gonna bite your kneecaps and we're gonna bite it again on the way up.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, that's a line.
Speaker 1: That's speaking of a line. Steelers just took it.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: You know who by the way, very you know, you think about the Steelers, and if I know we we think of the Steelers and we think a defensive line obviously, and great wide receiver play. But like the first position I think of what the Steelers is centers. They've always had incredible centers yep, I would not be surprised if that guy ends up becoming their center and becomes the best center in the league. Like that's the thing about you know, and whatever. That's just on the screen. Thought, uh sorry, where was I?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: The other thing like.
Speaker 2: If that's if you have Jim Harbaugh and coach Bischoff talking about we're an O line team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well guess what, guys, we're not bsing. We're not. This isn't lip service. This is who we are. I said it.
Speaker 2: I said it to the media, and now we're proving it to you. So when we tell you to go out there and push forward and to fight and we're playing a physical brand of football, yeah, we're gonna get you to the players to do that too, and they're all going to help you out. The other thing I bring up to is with the wide receiver position. Look, I think just kind of look at look at the Chiefs. That's that's probably the best way I can pick a bunch of different teams to illustrate this point. But just look at the Chiefs, right, they let Tyreek kill go, the most explosive and dangerous player in the NFL outside of the quarterback position, A guy that keeps defensive coordiners up at night.
Speaker 1: They let him go.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, go ahead, get out of here, walk out of the walk out of here.
Speaker 2: And you're the reason why we've been so one of the reasons why we've been so so.
Speaker 4: That's well, they let him go.
Speaker 2: Two, did they invest any first rounders and wide receivers. No, But what they did was trade a first rounder for Orlando Brown. That made Joe Toney the highest paid guard in the league. They invested in Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith. They just paid Juwan Taylor. They overpaid him based on past performance because they were like, look, we just got to get someone in here. Like they invested in an offensive line because they know how important it is. Rashi Rai's second rounder Ye Sky like MVS low budget free agent acquisition, Kadarius Tony mid round pick. Let's see if it's a reclamation project.
Speaker 1: They get it.
Speaker 2: They get it, you know, like and granted they can do that because they have Travis Kelcey, who's one of the biggest mismatches in the NFL.
Speaker 4: But that's my point is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what the Chargers are missing it. They're missing the the either the Kelsey or the they'll kind of number one explosive outside weapon that they could potentially get in the second round. You know, I sat that with Hayden Hurst this week, and I think a decent year's coming for Hayden. Like I'm not saying that he's gonna be a top five, top eight tight end in the league, but like I just I think that there's new characters that we're gonna be introduced to this year, from JK. Dobbas to Gus Edwards, the Hayden Hurst. You're gonna win a certain way. And oh, by the way, in the second round, there could be a game changer that the Chargers land on. Like you know, I was thinking, like you know what, LADDI Mcconaukye's not gonna work because we got Keenan Allen here. Like Ladd mcconukeey could work right now for the for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Or don't forget there's two sides of the football. They gotta they gotta show up that.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing too, Like we're talking about corner.
Speaker 2: Linebackers, defensive tackles. You know, they they've got to identify that. Look, the Dobbins signing is huge, you know, how I feel about that. And I had been hoping, like you said, you manifested it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we had been pushing for that.
Speaker 2: And I think there's more, there's more opportunities like that out there where you can take some Christian Fulton's, you know, former high pick injury issues, see.
Speaker 4: If you can get them. You know. So that's kind of what I think the past is.
Speaker 2: And it's not again, it's hard to It's hard to sell because I do believe this team will be good enough to make a playoff run and will be good enough to give the Chiefs all they can handle in the AFC West. I just I have that belief in Jim Harbaugh and this staff and the fact that they've got plenty. You've got Justin Herbert, You've got Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack. I believe in the second year players and Tully and some of the younger players. We've talked about the offensive line, Zion Johnson in year three. I think that you're talking about enough talent to be able to do it. But it's not about twenty twenty four. This is you got to it's it's you know, it's it's a wash. You're washing the deck man and so, and now you've got to get it back together, shuffle it and deal it out again. And I think that's something to remember. It's not just about one pick. It's not about number five at all. It's about all these picks, and it's about twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six and building something that's sustainable. And that's what he did at Stanford and in San Francisco. He walked in to a very talented team, very talented team. Offensive line was already assembled. Staley's already there. You know, that whole offensive line was already intact. Vernon Davis a freak of freaks at tight end, Frank Gore a freak of freaks.
Speaker 4: At running back.
Speaker 2: So and not to mention just the defensive line, Alden Smith, Justin Smith, the mod Brooks, Patrick Willis.
Speaker 4: I mean that that defense stupid is a rookie. So he inherited all of that.
Speaker 2: So I think it's important to remember that thirteen and three turnaround and what he had in front of him from a six and ten team. So I guess you know, my big takeaway is is you always want a coach to be authentic. You hear that all the time. You know, if you're going to change a culture and establish a culture, the most important thing is to be yourself and be authentic.
Speaker 1: He's told no lies, He's told no lies.
Speaker 4: This is what did Bucky Brooks tell us.
Speaker 2: I would bet my house that the first pick is not going to be a wide receiver of the Jim Harvoy era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would bet my.
Speaker 3: House buy Bucky's house is safe. Just to paint a picture for you guys, we are top golf El segundo. It is freezing outside. It's freezing. The draft is still going on, and I'm looking down just to see if, if anything wild has happened. One of the things that stands out to me is we kind of push it forward to tomorrow money rounds two and three.
Speaker 1: No corner has been selected.
Speaker 3: We're in the twenties, all right, So no quinnyin Mitchell, No Terryn, Arnold, kool Aid McKinstry is still on the board. Wiggins from Clemson. So like, as much as I'm thinking, you know, wide receiver could be an option, Quarner quarter quarter could be another option for the Chargers early in the second.
Speaker 4: Oh, they need one.
Speaker 2: And then that's see and that's And now it's gonna sound like I'm talking down to the people that follow and listen, and I'm not. I appreciate you, but I think it's just natural. Like what about our wide receiver room. It's the worst wide receiver from the room in the league. Okay, how about the cornerback room? You know, how about the corner room, Like Mike Michael Davis is gone.
Speaker 4: You know you've got Yes, we got Zon. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's like in Christian Fultons, who they just signed. Like nobody's saying, what about our wife?
Speaker 4: What about our corner room?
Speaker 2: You know what corton quarterbacks are in the NFL, And like nobody's saying, what about our Why wouldn't we trade down and take you know, Quinnon Mitchell, or trade down to take Terry and Arnold, or trade down and take Nate Wiggins. We never got one of those. It was all drap the wide receiver, our wide receiver. And I think, and I think that's the I think that's the the trouble I'm having connecting is, yeah, we all want Justin Herbert to be the best quarterback in the league. But the idea that you're gonna sacrifice his stats for wins and for identity, like, well, we need we.
Speaker 4: Need he needs a wide receiver. You can't do this, Just sure you can.
Speaker 1: Justin stoked.
Speaker 2: You get a tackle like you pair a tackle like Slater with Joe Walt and nobody more happy than Justin Herbert right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, you get JK.
Speaker 2: Dobbins next to him for play action because he's ripping off six yards per clip like he has his whole career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's excited. You know, he's happy about this.
Speaker 1: So there's guys out there.
Speaker 2: Justin Herbert will be fine, Yeah, he'll He'll be fine. This is how we played football at Oregon. This is Mario christobal football, O.
Speaker 4: Line run game.
Speaker 2: When I need to make a play, Justin, You're gonna go out there and make a play. And that's what he did at Oregon and that's why some people dinged him coming into the league. He's now a stranger to this, like, this is what he did at Oregon and it led to a Rose Bowl victory for Oregon over I think it was Wisconsin they played. But like he knows, he's comfortable playing this way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Justin maybe Justin uses his legs a little bit in this offense as well. Yeah, we've seen him as a runner and he does a very good job of protecting himself when he runs safe for maybe the first game he's ever played against the Chiefs when he leveled the linebackerund or bounds. But it's just gonna be a different style of offense. But you're right, money, Like we've kind of neglected talking about the defense because I think, especially around the draft, it's just an exciting position to talk about wide receiver and you envision Justin Herbert and listen, if it was Moleak Neighbors or Marvin Harrison or Roam with dunesday, it would have been we would have been thrilled up here talking about that.
Speaker 2: I know, I say it all the time and it's gotta be tiring for the people listening. But I wish those of you that could have lived the life that I lived when I was calling Stanford football and when I got to go up on the farm. And I can't begin to tell you after seeing it, like the first two times, when I'm looking at my schedule and what games I get to call, and I see Stanford, Oregon, Stanford CAL Big Game, Stanford USC and I know I'm gonna go watch Toby Gerhart punish dudes. It was fun, man, it was fun watching those fourth quarters.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: I watched USC quit at the Coliseum. I watched them quit a football game, literally quit to the point where I was told after the game that that someone came up to Toby and was like, hey, man, are we not done? And there was still like eight minutes left in the game. They're like, you're really gonna keep. That was fifty five to ten games, and that was the what's your Deal game?
Speaker 1: What's your deal?
Speaker 4: They quit?
Speaker 2: Like you know how much fun it is to watch a team make another team quit because they just.
Speaker 4: Don't want to the pounding anymore. Like it's fun. It is fun.
Speaker 2: And I watched and I called a ton of those San Francisco games with Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick, and man, it was fun. It was a lot of fun. I remember that open I think it was the opener. It was Green Bay, San Francisco, a candlestick I called from that stinking shipping container that was bolted at the top of candlestick where had to call those games from. And watching Jim Harbaugh and those tight ends and Delaney Walker and Frank Gore just pound those guys was a lot of fun. And I think it's hard to wrap your head around right now, but trust me, you're you're gonna come around to it. You're gonna dig it. It's gonna be it's gonna be different. And it's just one pick, and who knows, maybe the next three picks are wide receivers.
Speaker 1: They could it could be.
Speaker 3: But but making teams submit, I think that that's probably the theme and what they're trying to accomplish this year, and especially in the fourth quarter, playing sixty minutes of football and not as a cliche like we are literally we're playing sixty minutes of football.
Speaker 1: Any final thoughts is we get out of here money?
Speaker 3: I'm looking Chop Robinson just went No corner has been selected right now, and I feel like the Eagles probably will take one. If you guys are listening to this, you already knew who the Eagles took.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's true, you know, yeah, No. I In terms of next pick, I think, hey, listen, man, I wouldn't be surprised if it's O line on line and there's a center sitting there. Jackson powers Johnson slips out Sax Frazier. If Graham Barton is there and Barno like Zach, I wouldn't be surprised. And Neck Fraser state champion wrestling exactly. You know Nick Hardwick, wrestler turned turned offensive lineman at center. Yeah, give me, give me all the wrestlers. I am all about it, you know, Lorenzo O'Neil, you know, state champion out of Fresno State and conference champion out of Fresno State. Fingers strength, you know, that's what it's all about, especially at the center position. So there's gonna there's gonna be a lot of great players available when they pick again, just because you had six quarterbacks go off the board in the first twelve. So now your pick thirty four becomes pick twenty eight, which is kind of thirty four to thirty five. That no, thirty thirty seven becomes thirty one.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: So you're essentially you get a back end of the first round, or is what your second round pick becomes because of all the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Just real quick reaction to Bondecks going to Denver and brock Bowers, Yeah, going to the Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Our friend Tom Telesco not you know, it's very interesting because they just took Michael Mayor in the second round a year ago. But I think that speaks to Bowers being more of a weapon than just a tight end. Let's just put him out there at Yeah, deal with it. How are you gonna how are you know? What are you going to cover Brock Bowers with? If we have Mayor attached to the line and Bowers is in the slot, how are you going to do that? You know, you're you're your linebacker and your safety. You're too slow, your corners too, you're too small. Good luck figure it out. So it's interesting. I thought for sure the Jets were going to take them. Uh they took Shano instead, which I get. You know, you can't really trust to thirty five year old tackles to make it through the season with Aaron Rodgers back there, But I really thought the Jets were going to take him. So, yeah, we'll see Brock Bowers twice a year. Looking forward to that. Bonnick's rookie, looking forward to that. Absolutely give us all of that. We're gonna go see Drake may in New England, another rookie on the on the schedule. We'll get to see Marvin Harrison. They're playing the Arizona Cardinals this year, so you're gonna get a heavy dose of that. It's gonna be It's gonna be fun. It's definitely gonna be fun. I'm excited, as you can tell. I'm all about it. I I wanted Jim Harbor to be the head coach of the team, and that means I signed up for the way Jim Harball plays five.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna close the podcast like this. I'm gonna put you on the spot. I want you to pretend like you're calling a seven yard Gus Edwards rush. But Joe Alt just destroyed the man in front of them.
Speaker 4: All right, go all right, let me let me visualize it. Here we go.
Speaker 2: I had Chargers left Hash at their own thirty five with a first and ten. They were able to force three and out on the opening POSSESSI let's see if they can establish a tone here at Arrowhead and we got offset. I as in the backfield is Gus Edwards, Joe Alt, the new right tackle out there getting his first taste of some regular season action. And here we go, is under center Herbert snap hands to Edwards and oh my god, George carl Is okay, he may not survive all still just laying on top of him like he's taking a nap, and Edwards goes for seven second down of three.
Speaker 1: That's the perfect way to it. We'll be with you throughout the weekend.
Speaker 3: We'll recap round Steward three and obviously everything the Charges do throughout the weekend for Buddy of Chris from Top Golf El Segundo's is Chargers week