Speaker 1: Hello, this is let's talk about myths, baby, and I am your myth obsessed nerd host who is sort of out of place right now in this distinctly historic series of episodes, and of course I've managed to make it as mythological as possible all the same.
Speaker 2: But as we get further and further into this collapse of the Bronze Age and all of its many causes, all the little things that went into this collapse of the elite power structures, oh it's utterly fascinating. Oh my god. So today's episode is with another returning guest, doctor Flint Dibble, who talked to me about Atlantis last year the year before What is time and Flint came back to talk about this Bronze Age collapse and how it relates to what he studies, which is like animal bones and like eating via. Like it's fascinating, fascinating stuff s type of archaeology that I just didn't even think about until I learned, Like, of course it's a thing, and we can learn so much from animal bones in terms of like how they sacrifice the animals, how they ate them, what they prioritize, like all of these different things, and also the climate as it aligns with food completely fascinating. We have such a great conversation coming, and I just have to say, the biggest joy that has come out of this Bronze Age collapse episodes like the whole series is my realization that I knew about the collapse for sure, I did not know how much climate change came into play with it, and how much these experts on this stuff are just so so aware of the modern ramifications like I just yet, I didn't expect it to be like a very very forceful wake up call in terms of climate change. So stay tuned for that. And without any further ado from me, let's listen to how food can tell us so much about the collapse of the Bronze Age conversations. The evidence is in the thigh bone climate and collapse in the Bronze Age with doctor Flint Dibble. So, I mean, I'm very excited for this. Climate change is like my obsession in the modern world. So I like to hear about like you know, I mean, I know it's obviously a very different climate change, but the Bronze Age and the food ways and all of the different things that that you know, affected that whole time. Period is utterly fascinating. So do you want to just give me like a kind of overview of what what that means, like you just food wats broadly or what you know, what you study regarding this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I specifically study ancient animal remains. So I look at sort of the bones and the teeth from sheep and goats mostly, but also some cattle, pigs, dogs, you know, all range horses, donkeys.
Speaker 2: That's kind of wild to me.
Speaker 3: Specific I don't actually study too many why out animals a few, but I focus on larger mammals, and then I work with people that focus on fish and birds and really tiny mammals. Though I will study deer and hair. I'm really interested in hair, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Bronze age. But so I study ancient animals and what that lets you put together, and in particular, since I look at mostly domesticated animals is kind of the agricultural economy, right, that's the kind of evidence that we get out of this food waves in a sense, how do people produce these animals in terms of manage them? Did they move them around the landscape, what were the animals eating? How large were the herds even and so that's the underpinning, of course of economies in the Bronze Age and the Iron Ages, agriculture and animal husbandry. We all think about monuments and architecture and gold masks and stuff like that, but that's just sort of luxury stuff that's on the side. The reason the elites are wealthy is because they own so much land, right, and so this is what underpins the entire sort of palace economy in the Bronze Age. It's what underpins the economy and the Iron Age, I mean into down through the Roman period, the Medieval period until really the Industrial Revolution. That's the underpinning of all human wealth and power and structure around which societies manage themselves. So yeah, so that's that what by studying animals and food that gives you an inn, let's say, to tackle a lot of different questions, so from economy but also sort of ritual So the ritual feasting you could think of this is how elites bring people together is to eat, right. I mean, I don't know if anyone listening to their students, but you know how you get food at a party or drinks. That's one of the huge draws. Even after a lecture, if it's a good lecture series, you'll have some little like wine and cheese or something like that. And so food is what brings people together, whether it's a holiday or whether it's just a family meal or whatnot. And so therefore food lets you look at things like religion or everyday life at home, but also not just the production of food. You can think about the distribution of food. These animals go to butchers who then butcher it up, which then either gets sold or given away at a festival or something like that, and then it's cooked in different ways until it ends up on somebody's plate who eats it, and then the bone gets tossed in the midden. And then I look at those bones and try to work the way back to what they can say along each of those steps along the way. And it's the combo of those steps that makes it food ways. So food waves is the study of the interaction of those different steps, from the production of food through to the consumption of food and disposal of trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I love that. I mean to's the idea of It's like, ultimately you're just digging through garbage and finding this kind of done. Like I mean we were talking about this before, you know, like it'll be off off the microphone. But so just for the listeners generally, But what is really like so interesting is the reality of archaeology and like the really nerdy, weird stuff that you can learn from just like everyday life garbage. And I mean, yeah, it's you know, this this series less so than Atlantis, but it is still about you know, kind of debunking some of the myths about the Bronze Age and it's collapse and so you know, it's it's obviously less, but I still I'll remember forever. This time. I was just like on Instagram and this real popped up of this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He's like one of those influencer history bros who gives you like a minute worth of history and says it's all true and real absolutely, and then you know, proceeds just about utter nonsense. And this guy, this guy is talking about the Mycenians and he's like introducing this whole thing, and he's got some accurate stuff about the Mysonians and then he's like and then one day they just disappeared completely and Greece descended into a Dark Age. And they he said that they lost the ability to read and write. And then from that dark age of no words Outsprung Homer, a man who wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey and and so like, I think about that in relation to this series because it is so about, you know, the end of the Bronze Age. And you've already said Iron Age, so you've already you know, introduced the idea that there was no Dark Age, there was an Iron Age. But I think about that kind of thing like this. You know, they they disappeared out of nowhere, and it's like, well, no, and you know, we can look at their trash to find out that, no, they didn't just disappear out of nowhere. Like all these different things are going on, and you know, it's early days in my recording of this series, but still it's I just I love this idea you can dig into some trash and find the truth of things. So like, what what do we know about, you know, how this relates to the Bronze Age, What it says about you know, what they were doing and getting towards you know, the end of it, Like I want to hear with the Bronze Age itself, but also the kind of transition you know that they went through, because it was a transition, not a you know, loss of society entirely.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree, so a few things. One I'm agnostic on the term dark Age. Actually, okay, I I think that well. First of all, yeah, it's not just some sort of collapse where everybody disappears. That's the ludicrous. I agree with the points that, like, you know, Aoni's Conos has a paper on the terminology the Dark Age and what that means and the problems with it, and he was on my PhD committee, so I mean I mostly agree with him. He did sign my PhD after all. But at the same time, you know, to a certain degree, life does get worse, and we can talk about what the Bronze Age was like, but one way you can track that is through people's diets and through malnourishment that you can see in people's teeth. And so this is not my own studies. It to other people that that study human remains. But uh Filu and others have published on sort of what you get in teeth is if while your teeth are growing, so you know, when you're a child, if you have a period of severe malnourishment, your teeth will sort of stop growing, they'll interrupt their growth for a period of time, and it develops this kind of line that you can see on it. It's called enamel hypoplasia. And so that line is an indication of people that are you know, they don't get enough food, and that specific pathological marker, that marker of this malnourishment. It shows up more frequently proportionally in many Iron Age populations than Bronze Age. So they are eating, they're more malnourished from the graves that have been excavated and studied more methodically and scientifically. And at the same time, you can see this in isotopic signatures of people. So for example, you know, certainly I have nothing wrong with people that are vegetarians or vegans, and in this case, I guess it's more vegans because what you can measure is you can measure animal protein consumption and that shows up in the isotopes in your teeth. Again, it's laid down while you're growing, or in your bones that's closer to the time of your death because your bones keep remodeling during your life. And again, people in the Iron Age, they're eating less animal protein on average than people in the Bronze Age, though in the Bronze Age it's very stratified. It's mostly the wealthy men that get a lot of animal protein. In the Iron Age it's much more even. It looks like everybody eats less, and so there's definitely the less wealth at least just existing, one would think, at least in terms of animal wealth at that time. So this is why I'm kind of a little agnostic about Dark Age. I think there's there is. Certainly writing does disappear, for example, linear b the tablets used in that. We find in Bronze Age what we call palaces, though it's a really stupid name.
Speaker 2: But I want to explain what that means to people, Like they're not I mean, we call them palaces. It's very palatial, but like also you need to understand what that means, and it's just kind of the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically at this point, I think it's mostly means a large monumental complex that includes a large courtyard, sometimes adjacent to it, sometimes within it contained, and so they they're often some people want to recall them like courtyard complexes or things related to that, because clearly there are these large complexes, which means lots of rooms, different activities going on. Some have throne rooms, some don't, but you know that doesn't matter. But then the courtyard means that you can gather a whole lot of people together, right, And so it's these two combos of this evidence for hierarchy and the evidence and the ability to host large groups that sort of makes a palace, if you will. And it's an Oh, I think I'm not sure about this. Don't quote me on it, but uh, I guess you're gonna quote me on a podcast.
Speaker 2: But you've already preis you're a preface, you're a guy.
Speaker 3: But but I think almost all, if not all, of the linear be tablets, So the actual writings we have come from what we would label as a palace, right, certainly most of them do. So yeah, so so yeah, that's that's something my take on it. So all right, food, Well, we can say a lot so these and a lot of it comes from writing as well, and how it relates to the archaeological evidence can be interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can ask you know, I know you study the bones, but like I'm so, I'm interested in how the linear be tablets that we have, like correspond to the food because obviously, I mean what I know of linear Be is that you know, primarily the records that we have, our palatial records are you know, trades and like food stores and all of these different things that they're just kind of recording, you know, for their own just sort of administrative purposes, which is why linar B is very cool but also frustrating because they didn't write down stories, which is just too bad. But like, I want to know how those things kind of relate, Like, you know, do you look at how the bone evidence of food like relates to those you know, the registers kind of that we have in linear Bee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. So thankfully linear Be is well studied and a lot of it's been published, and there's actually been a lot of studies more probably on food stuffs in linear b than of the animal bones themselves. So it's something that you can go to and read and site and see how it fits together. And the picture you get from these linear Bee tablets is this it gives a very misleading picture of society. Certain aspects are accurate, but it's misleading in the sense that it's so palatial focused, and so it's really like you said, their accounts, and so it's goods in and out, and it's sort of it shows how they control also the larger agricultural economy, but it's only what they're focused on. So the big thing that you can tell when you compare the archaeological record to the written record is there's so much missing in the written record, right, there's a focus on only a few food stuffs, and so sheep are one of the really big ones, and then wheat is another really really big one, and olive oil and wine are also reasonably prominent in there. But it ignores everything else, which is oh oh. In the animals. They also have some mentions of palatial oxen tines for pulling plowsh okay, So those are what most of the food stuffs. And the linear bee tablets, sorry, the linear be tablets mostly talk about those food stuffs and not all the others. They don't talk about, you know, barley, for example, nearly as much or lesser quality wheats hold wheats we call them emmer einecorn, which we're around. They don't talk about all the different diversity of beans, which are really really important. I know it sounds silly.
Speaker 2: I love that diversity of beans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's all these legumes, beans and peas, and you know, they're really important to sort of agriculture because they absorb nitrogen from the air and then fix it in the soil. So wheat depletes grains in general, they deplete all the nitrogen from the soil, while beans bring it back. So beans are extremely important because they regenerate the soil's nitrogen and at the same time they're they're very healthy. They provide a lot of calories, they're easy to grow and to eat and prepare and things like that. So we know from our archaeobotanical samples that have been published that beans and peas are eaten all the times, and barley is far more common than wheat in the archaeobotanical record. It grows better in Greek landscape because it's so dry there, which is a key point that we'll get to. And so yeah, so there's so much missing and same thing, pigs and goats don't come up very often, and it's just and even of the sheep. So there's tens of thousands of sheep in the linear BT's from Kenosos in particular, because there was a huge interest not in the sheet for food, but for wool, and so they were making textiles. A lot of tablets focus on the textile economy, including weavers and different people working with textiles and uh and and we believe it was a major export from like from Manoan crete and then later on from the Mycenean world. I think you'd have to ask Eric, but I think there's this fresco in Egypt where there's he's published on it where they're showing he identifies the people carrying textiles is as I think Monoan's and so it's been a while since ever that paper. So so yeah, so, so the textiles are big, big business and that's what they're interested in. And so what that means is so you know, as a zoe archaeologist, sorry, there's some kind of fun the tangents. As a zo archaeologist, one of the big questions we ask of our animal teeth and bones is what are the ages of slaughter of animals? And this makes sense in a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 3: Promise, I promise, And this is an exercise I do with my students all the time where I say, all right, so why the heck does this matter? Right? Yeah, So let's play a game here with You are a goat herder on the island decrete, and all you care about is milk. You don't care about meats, you don't care about the skins. All you want to maximize is milk production. So what kind of goats do you want? In terms of age and sex?
Speaker 2: I mean, as a very knowledgeable person on goats, I'm assuming the older and female.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want a lot of female because they give birth, which the leads me to them, which leads to them producing milk. But they give birth fifty to fifty male female. And you know, do you keep a couple lucky guys alive breeding purposes? But they give birth fifty to fifty male female. What do you do with the young males?
Speaker 2: Do they just eat them when they're very young?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're drinking them milk, right, and you want to get as much of that as possible, So you know, you look at anthropologically ethnographically, this is what people raising goats or cattle or sheep if they really want to maximize milk. That's the age and sex profile you'd have for a herd, right, older females, infant males bean slaughter. Now let's shift that up to wool. So now you want to have your wooly sheep on crete. You want them to maximize their wool production. What do you want?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm assuming that all sheep grow wool, and it's not a gendered or thing, but so you just want them all and then you just want them to live as long as possible. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Nobody can see me except for you. I'm giving you a clue. Oh well, I mean I'm stroking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, describe what you're doing. I mean, I don't like, I don't know that. I don't have any idea how sheep grow woll. Well, so just like they do it, just.
Speaker 3: Like I produce more wool. Yeah, Male sheep on average, male sheep on average produce more wool. Okay, So have you ever been to the beach?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you scope out the beach, you know, looking for potential hookups or whatever it is we all do, and you think about it in terms of wool on backs, who has the most wool on their backs?
Speaker 2: Older men?
Speaker 3: Okay, the same is true for sheep. The exact same thing is true for sheep. Older male sheep have woolier backs on average, and if you castrate them, they're even woolier. I don't know if that works with humans. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is true for sheep.
Speaker 3: And so we call, you know, agriculturally, if you're a sheepherder, a shepherd, and you have a you're maximizing wool. You want older male castrated sheep and older male castrated sheep in English are called weathers w E T H E R, and they're really common throughout traditional agricultural economies if you're looking at wool production, and so that's what you'd be looking for, and that's what the linear B tablets focus on. They only talk about tens of thousands of weathers male castrated sheep, and they don't talk about the rest of the herd. And so it's up to us to try to put that back into place. And it seems like according to Paul Halstead, who studied both these tablets, and he's like the the I don't know, he's just retired recently, but he was like the guy who's published the most on sort of Bronze Age Greek zoo archaeology animal. He was also the person who trained me, and so he's pointed out that the way these tablets seem to be working is they're describing tens of thousands of weathers, but they're not all within a herd. In fact, they're controlled by private individuals, and so they're controlling the heard, which includes a few palatial weathers or a certain number of them. And so you can start putting together the larger sheepherd economy by looking at the animal remains, if you see what I mean. Yeah, And so the palatial stuff misses out on a lot, right, It's missing the larger picture of what's going on. Even if we can understand that the palace at Kenosos controls you know, castrated male sheep throughout the island, and the at Pilos, we have these records showing the control of plow oxen and they move them around to different places that need plowing, and so there's a lot of administration that goes on to kind of plan out where they are and who they get lent to, I guess perhaps, And so that's the sort of way that the palace controls agricultural production by controlling these plow oxen teams, and same thing with the weathers, and so they focus on these specific goods, and that's what they're sort of focused on, and the archaeological evidence gives us the larger picture, obviously more diversity, but also the relationship is interesting though, because sheep are the most common animal in the archaeological record. For example, wheat is not in the archaeobotanical it's par but sheep certainly are. And in my study, I study the site in southwest Greece near Pilos, near the Palace Semester at Pilos, it's called nick Korea. And we can talk about this one a bunch because it really matters for this transition historiographically. It's been at the center of how scholars have interpreted the change between Bronze Age and Iron Enge. They're all wrong, I'm right, I mean to a certain degree most people. Most people realized they were all wrong already by the time I published my article. But you know, it's so so at Nick Korea, though, when it starts off in the Middle Bronze Age and in the very beginning of the Late Bronze Age, is an independent community, and then by what's called the late Haladic three periods around sixteen fifty DC year or so, it becomes dominated by the Palace of Nester. And it's at that time that we see this shift from pigs being the most common animal to sheep. And what's really cool is the age of slaughter. The sheep gets older and there's more male so it looks like they are focused they're starting to focus more on wool production. It isn't like they're only focused on wool production, though, is those tablets that seem to show it's part of a more diverse economy. But this change in control has had an impact on the Korea.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Okay, quick nerdy question. We call it the Palace of Nestor. Is that only tied to Homeric tradition or is there any kind of like name in linear B No, No.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's just we you know, Carl Blake, and it's pretty cool. He found it like on like the first day, and but then World War two broke out and yeah, and he went back and activated it. But no, it's just because they're you know, ninety nine point nine percent sure. It actually is the of Bronze age pilos, and therefore the palace would be Nestor's palace because that's who homer put as the king of Pilos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that makes perfect sense. I just was like, do we have slightly is there anything? But yeah, I know, I mean everything I do love.
Speaker 3: It's not even on the home. It's not even on the beach, you know, in in in the in the Odyssey, when Telemachus goes there, they sacrifice cattle on the beach. Everything's along the beach and everything. They call it sandy Pilos. That's the epithet. There's no sand there. I've dug there. I've spent like seven as many seasons, I don't know, four or five seasons digging there. I helped find the tomb of the Griffin Warrior. I was field director then, and uh, there's no sand in sight. It's all very clay soil that's really hard to dig through. And I don't know why Homer calls it sandy Pilos, and it really annoys me. I wish it was sandier. It would have been easier to dig.
Speaker 2: Well, the Odyssey is a little tricky in terms of tracking wear or anything is and what it actually looked like in reality. So that makes some sense, you know, the of it all slash every other stop. Autotysseus's journey. No, that's really interesting. So okay, I want to I mean, I wanted to hear kind of anything about you know, how we know about this, the food and everything, especially in this palace. But I one thing I just can't resist talking about, and I'm so curious about it because I don't I don't know at all how or if it you know, we we have evidence of it, how it affected things. But I am obsessed with the volcanic eruption, and I would imagine that that shows up in bones, like do we have record of like what kind of was affected? Because to me, it feels like a volcanic eruption of that size would affect agriculture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so but in certain areas, so probably on crete only only. Yeah. So it was obviously a massive eruption destroying Santorini. And then there's a part of the signature on crete. Most of what it does actually is so what comes to is tephra, right, and so there are tephra layers that have been excavated, like in eastern crete at Polycastro, I believe, and elsewhere, and so, but it doesn't seem to have gone say so Santorini's not too far from crete even and so it's not like we have any tephra layers on the mainland, and even these tephra layers on crete are you know, there are very ephemeral layers, and so we do scholars do think when you model it in a sense, having observed more modern volcanic eruptions and historical descriptions of it, it certainly the would have impacted the crops around Crete and around some other Edgean islands and the cyclides and stuff. With taffyra coming down, maybe having the sky darker, the sulfur could potentially have cooled the temperature a little bit, But it wasn't some major impact that you can see in people's or animals bones or as far as I know from any seeds that have been published. Not to say it would not have had a big impact, but it would have been fairly temporary and less unless, of course you lived right there and you died in it and stuff like that. That's of course.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there was probably like a refuge or I remember whenever I learned about this last which was probably in school, like refugee crisis kind of thing happened.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, yeah, people.
Speaker 2: Got out or a lot of them.
Speaker 3: I mean, who knows. It's tough to tell, and because we just don't have so it's mostly so it doesn't really have to do at the end of the Bronze Age either. It's a lot earlier, right, Yeah, several hundred years earlier, and it certainly would have impacted sort of circulation networks in the sicklidies, because Santorini was a really important acriteria. I mean, it was a very important settlement, and it had important interactions with both the Monons and the Mycenians and in the middle of the Asia Minor and stuff like that, and so yeah, it would have been it would have been really devastating economically, one would imagine, But yeah, there isn't. It's one of those things that scholars argue about NonStop, is what kind of impact that really had, And mostly it's tough to detect that archaeologically, just like Pompei erupting, that should have had a huge enormous impact on the Bay of Naples region, right, and the Bay of Naples region was sort of the hotspot for the Roman elite. And so yet it's almost like a side mentioned in history, you know, in the histories that we get it's an important archaeological find and all this kind of stuff, but it certainly was not something that and we would imagine refugees and stuff like that from as well, and no descriptions of that made history or anything. Again, no real clear archaeological evidence. And don't believe the recent headlines that they found plenty of the elders Villa or something like that. That's total crap.
Speaker 2: No, I it's interesting. I definitely was under the impression that the that the eruption of Thera was like considerably bigger than POMPEII, I guess. And I just think of like the historic eruptions of you know, the whatever the one was, where like basically they got a year of darkness like all the way up in the UK, and I think it was a volcano in Indonesia or something. So I just imagine of like just the the kind of because to me, like, I mean, Sanderini's far from the mainland, but it's not that far, you know. So I'm just interested to hear that that it didn't necessarily at least.
Speaker 3: Not in any detectable way. I don't think I've ever seen anybody published tefra from Santerini outside of crete or ice course or or closer a field like in thessivilities. I don't think I've ever I've never excavated any layers of pilos or my senior where I've excavated or elsewhere, and I've never as far as I know, I could be wrong, but I don't think there's anything like that on the mainland. It doesn't mean that there's no impacts, but it's just we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course, yeah, I just I would have assumed it affected like crop growth in some kind of way, but maybe in sort of if it did, it was just undetectable or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just and if enough for a falling on creeps that you're getting a clear layer of it, that could kill a lot of crops, but it would only be for a season. So as long as you have some stuff stored, you recover the next season, you get trade and other things, and probably some people die, of course, you know, because that's what happens. Unfortunately, that's what archaeologies how we find stuff. But yeah, yeah, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, interesting, okay, yeah, yeah, so what like what do we you you mentioned, you know, when we get into the getting into the Bronze or to the Iron Age, that there's a lot more of like this malnutrition and stuff. So do we know do we know of like what kind of I mean, I guess would be hard to tell what kind of caused that, But like other than just that, there's obviously different food happening and things. But I just love to hear about what we know about that transition of like what changes that we know kind of we're happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's start with the traditional picture or what was the picture from the eighties until about I don't know, ten years ago ish, because that's what people still come across, mostly in most of the literature, especially if it's not like you're not up to date. So basically it's pretty clear that something happens. Palaces disappear, monumental structures, art trade still seems going strong. If you read Sarah Murray's book on trade between the Bronze and the Iron Age, there's still a lot of trade going on, and she's her surveys in Eastern Attica are showing that as well. But what you do see is this total shifting towards more of a regional economy and there is this evidence of somewhat the people are living in a different kind of lifestyle. There's not the same kind of hierarchy. Whether that's good or bad is a different question. Like I said, in the Bronze Age, the elites were the ones benefiting from that hierarchy, right, and they were the ones eating well while nobody else was, including their wives and their children. And so you know, we can tell this from from isotope tests of people from these from Tholos tombs around Pilos and so so. Yeah, so in the Iron Age, for a long time people because of Nikoia, the site that I mentioned, I restudied these bones. This is one of the first sites where animal bones were ever studied in the Greek world, and it was one of the first scientific expedition excavations out at the University of Minnesota where they had collaborated with Carl Blagen excavating Pilos. And at Pilos, by the way, some of the animal remains have been published by Ballacy Ezekido and Paul Hall said. They show large scale feasting an animal sacrifice even then, right, and in the linear the archive room is actually where the big assemblage of sacrificial stuff is just weird little point of bones and texts together, you know. And so it seems like it was a record of the sacrifice because they deposited these jawbones and leg bones from cattle and red deer there like it's a record of the sacrifice. Yeah, so the bones as a record. And so this project in ne Korea happens in the seventies. It's the first time people are studying seeds and animal remains and doing soil studies and this kind of stuff, and it's really cool. And they got this paleontologist to study dinosaurs to go study these bones because he worked at Minnesota. And he notices that there's a lot more cattle in the Iron Age than in the Bronze Age, and the Bronze Age is sheep. Well, it's pick and sheep depends, like I said. And he says, they all became cowboys. They became so they went No, seriously, it is autobiography, he says this, and so and and and this is what started this idea that the change from the Palatial Period to the Dark Age is this shift from civilized agriculture to sort of less civilized pastoralism. Okay, right, and so I don't mean I shouldn't make it sound so pejortive because a lot of smart people worked on this, but uh but I think they're wrong.
Speaker 2: And it's just still like it's it's time, you know. It's just things change over time, and the way we structure these things and understand anything changes, So it makes sense it doesn't, yeah, less than the original findings.
Speaker 3: And so uh so Anthony Snagrast sort of looked around. He was the guy who really started earlier in age studies and in Greece. He like coined a lot of the terminology and periods and how to think about them, and so he put together what he calls the pastoral hypothesis. In a sense, people start living in more ephemeral structures. We see this shift from wheel may pottery to handmade potter. We see this shift from sort of agriculture to cattle. And the reason behind all this stuff is because they've shifted towards pastoralism. And this is what dominated, like I said, for a few decades the thinking on this, and it only was about ten years ago when the first book on archaeodiet and isotopic studies. It shows that actually people are even less animal protein at that time. And so my restudy of these bones at Nekorea, they basically showed that the reason why there's more cattle has nothing to do with humans. It has to do with the fact that the soil is more acidic in the higher levels of the site, and so smaller animals their bones didn't survive as well, while cattle survived. And I've mapped this all out spatially, like you have some areas where there's no Early Iron Age occupation, so it's just late Bronze Age at the top and those little areas, cattle are still the more dominant animal even in the late Bronze Age because they're worse preserved those bones, and so yeah, yeah, so that's it. That's what my article that Dan Filou is about is sort of the myth of this beef ranching. And no other site in the Iron Age that's been published since then by me or others shows cattle as the dominant animal. There's no real evidence for a pastoral economy. It looks like an agricultural economy continues. It's just more impoverished. We don't see this sort of upcycling of stuff and h yeah, so that's that's sort of what happens. And if you think about Homeric Epic, now, so how does how does this picture of the early Iron Age animal and animal husbandry and food stuffs and food ways, how does it relate to what we see in homer And it's I call it food porn food pornography.
Speaker 2: I remember you mentioned that when we when we talked about Atlantis. And it's funny because you're you're saying this in my head originally, like when you're before you said that, actually it's the cattle because they bone survived. But I'm thinking, well, you know, Homeric epic.
Speaker 3: Is all I should have mentioned that that was a part of his thing too. He's like, you know, and Anthony Snydgrass and others like we read about it. This is what they're doing. They're stealing cattle, their cattle rustling and their cowboys.
Speaker 2: Everything they sacrifice is cattle. And because I was already thinking when you're talking earlier about how many sheep there were, I was like, well, there's like no sheep in epic, which is just interesting. So yeah, that's that's really interesting because it does seem like a very cattle heavy people of course, you know, in terms of where where we're really interacting with that stuff, it's over and you know, quote unquote Troy. But like, yeah, that's that's really interesting because it does feel like that would fit, but then it sounds like it doesn't. You know, they did have.
Speaker 3: Not at all, and it's not only in Troy. At Pilos's under cattle and then they have that. That's the long scene, always cattle, and that's where they describe in detail and book three the sacrifice of the cow. They gild the horns, all the all the women chant as they bring the axe down, and like you know, all this kind of stuff, and so that's like the big sacrificial scene actually mostly comes from the Odyssees, and a lot of feasting does as well on Ehaica and elsewhere, and so yeah, but they're always eating cattle and it's and they're eating a lot of meat. It's like just like meat on meat on meat, which I love and I study, but it's not what you see. And I think that this is what I call I got to finish this article one day on this archaeology of epic poetry where I think for the for if we consider Homer a real person. Or let's just say when the story was heard by people in the early Iron Age, they were probably salivating. This is like descriptions of amazing food that they don't have access to. On the other hand, when this story is told in classical Athens and they're having huge sacrifices, they're saying, we're arranging our sacrifices to honor how Homer said that our ancestors made sacrifices. So it informs how they do things later on. And so you can think about how Homeric poetry is, the reception of it by ancient people, and especially because so much of it is food, how their diet is going to impact how they're going to sort of hear and understand and interpret the poem and these stories. Right. So, yeah, so that's one way that it relates is the cattle. You can also look at how sacrificial rituals arrange themselves, where in a sense, if you I have mentioned it at the Palace of Nester, it's sort of this jawbone and then the femur and the humorous so the upper fore limb and hind limb, front leg and back leg of the animal, and over time it becomes much more orthodox in what you burn for the gods. So you've read some Homer, what body part do you burn for the gods?
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's always you know the well, I guess Homer. I'll have trouble defining what's in Homer versus what's just sort of the doesn't matter those but yeah, it's the idea that, like, you know, because of Prometheus, you burn like the fatty stuff for the gods, basically the stuff you don't want to eat and then then you eat.
Speaker 3: So he see it, describes it as he see it, describes it as the it's a trick. So it's a big trick where you know, they kill the cow and then they make two portions, the meat wrapped in the hides and then the bones wrapped in the fat. And then Zeus comes down and he's like, I want that one, even though he knows it's a lie. And so that's why we he see it the way it ends it is like that's why we burn fat wrapped bones on the altars of the gods. Okay, but Homer's more specific, and the in the Odyssey dozens of times think about it. There's a specific bone that he burns. Oh, very specific, and don't worry, it's accurately translated almost all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I would never, I've not.
Speaker 3: Next time, next time you read some home or pay attention to the thigh bones. It's always the thigh bone that's burned the myria in ancient Greek, and that's the port and it's always fat wraps, so that connects to he see it. And then but what we have archaeologically, I said, in the Bronze Age is more complicated. We have burning of bones. In fact, at this at the Mount Lecheon, the ash altar there in the Bronze Age layers, and all the way down it's burnt thigh bones, mostly a sheep. At Hallasmenos on Crete where I published it in the late Monoan period, it's the lower legs and heads of sheep and cattle, and the same at iron Age and Ecorea, and then at Pilos, like I mentioned, it's the jawbone, the forelimb, and the and the thigh bone. And then I do need to remember the name of that site. And iOS Constantinos on Mathena on the peninsula Mathana, and at these Bronze Age layers, at a Leucis, it's the also the feet and the heads, but of pigs, and so we have all this diversity of bones being burned, and slowly over time, it takes not a millennium, but by about five hundred BC or so, it's pretty much only the thigh bones that are burned. And so that goes back to again, I think it has to do with the reception of Homer as Homer. Yeah, as Homer it becomes more popular, the people see that as the orthodox of how we do our religious rituals and refer to it. They become more orthodox in what they burn on their alters, and it's just thigh bones eventually. Yeah, and so yeah.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting. I mean, see, this is why I'm thrilled to have, you know, have Joel come on to talk about the Homeric interactions, because like I mean, it's really it's really fascinating the way that they would mirror so many things off of Homer with the understanding that like it was you know, the Bronze age kind of thing, like what we now think of as a Bronze Age, Like yeah, oh, it's just faating.
Speaker 3: And that's why it's silly to think of homer as describing the Bronze Age or the Iron Age. It's a weirdnish mash of both. And you know, people like Susan Sharritts who share I forget, she's Ameritis, not a Sheffield. She's published on this, the direct relationship between archaeology and Homeric epic and how do you can find chronological markers in there? And so you know, so what they have is like the type of spear that they use or the type of shield they use. We can compare that to spears and shields that we have for iconography and in graves and stuff like that. And so homer uses both the shields and the spears from both the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. And there's one scene that she describes I forget where where a hero grabs it first the Bronze Age style sphere, and then the very next line is it's an Iron Age style sphere. And so just from the description of the spear, it's not like there's a different word, it's the way the spear is being used and described matches one or the other, like the physical nature of it and so so yeah, so Homeric epic poetry does not pay very clear attention. It just takes a bit from both if you see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, because I mean because the thing about it, you know, and Joel was on my show a couple of years ago to talk about this, but you know, the whole I mean, obviously there's so much complexity to oral storytelling. But like, ultimately, what we have that survives was just written down at some point and that's the version that we have, but there would have been so many other versions, and you know, it was probably written down in the archaic period in Athens, and so it's so completely like tied to that time period in addition to everything else, because you're dealing with like five or six hundred years of storytelling then being written down into the only thing that we have, like exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so interesting to look at it all that way. And I mean I love the idea of just how many other versions could have existed or like, you know, what how different they were when they were actually being you know, sung to people five hundred years earlier. Things will never know. I want a time machine.
Speaker 3: Okay. So what we have left to do though, is we I've explained the older hypothesis this kind of yeah, pastoralism. There's like a whole new thing that I've been putting forth and other people have been putting forth, which is that a lot of it has to do with climate change. So this is not me being woke.
Speaker 2: Or something like that, right, show it's fine. We do not deny even a single thing about climate change on this show.
Speaker 3: No, no, I know, but I mean, but I guess the point is a lot of this just has to do with the fact that there's more evidence out there for things climate change. So with the fact that climate is changing today due to human causes, there's been a lot more research funds that have going gone towards understanding past climate change. And so you know that we've reached a critical mass in the Eastern Mediterranean, in the Aegean and the Greek world specifically, that we now understand that the climate does get drier between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. This drying of the climate starts not right at the collapse point though, so it's not some sort of inflection all this sudden. There's a megage route some some scholars have called it that because originally it was identified as the three point two Ka event. So from thirty two hundred years ago or twelve hundred, right, and so, uh and it's still called that.
Speaker 2: And there is it does worthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it makes sense though, because you have to date everything with from before present if you're doing scientific dating. And the other reason for it is because there's also a fourteen point or four point two K event and an eight point two K event for some reason, there's a lot of periods of sharp climate change at the point two periods years ago. It's really weird. It's the type of thing I'm surprised conspiracy theorists have not jumped on because it's like a totally weird not.
Speaker 2: That it's not as exciting they needed to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they've got climate change everything.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is that at the point two years the aliens have come down and they you know, made these major changes to Earth's climate.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not saying that at all, but no, and it's not every point too either, it's just now. Yeah, so about twelve hundred years ago it gets more rapid the driver. But this drying transition years ago started yeah, thirty two hundred years ago, sorry, started actually before that, so somewhere around fifteen hundred BC, I think. So there's a team out of Uppsala University, Erica Wiberg and Martin Fine and Antonine Bonier who have been working on this in the Peloponnese and detail and I published a few things with them, and they've been putting together all these climate records and then comparing them to regional surveys and stuff, and so what they seem to show is that when the climate first starts getting dryer about fifteen hundred BC, the first response that humans make is to So there's different ways you can adapt to climate change if you think about it like agriculturally speaking, and one of it is to intensify, so start growing more in more areas. So this is where you start seeing from regional surveys more dots on the map and in more marginal landscapes. So they're trying to intensify their production even areas that we don't farm today, you know, sort of on steeper slopes. They've measured this in terms of slope steepness and so yeah, so that's the first attempt. And we see this as a period though of cultural flourishing. You know, this is the waxing of the falacial Bronze Age. Sorry I never talked like this, but this is what you think of, is like the Bronze Age with with palaces and when your bat This is a period where it's starting to get dryer though, and so they're they're trying to adapt by intensifying. And then it's really tough to tell what kind of impact this climate change has had on sort of the palace structure itself. It clearly would not have been, you know, a direct impact that would have impacted food, which then would have impacted economic stuff, which then would have had other impacts on society. And eventually we see this you know, inflection point around what Eric Client would say, eleven seventy a BC. Right, obviously that's way too precisely dated, but whatever, it's eleven seventy seven, what am I saying? And so uh yeah, so so you know, but around the twelfth century BC we start seeing more of these palaces burning. However they do stay, those sites stay in occupation a little longer. More recent excavations at Pilo's, Massini, Tians and elsewhere. Kenosos of course never has an abandonment, and so clearly people are not just disappearing, and it's a slower transition into what you'd think of as an early Iron Age economy and what we're seeing. So Martin Fine, he's a paleoclimatologist at Upsala, and he does sort of so you you piece together the climate through looking at pollen. You can drill cores into lake beds where pollen survives.
Speaker 2: The scientific I love it those.
Speaker 3: Sediments, you know, they they accumulate in layers, and each of those layers is essentially a year or something like that. And all these cores down you look at the landscape from the pollen that's in there, and so you can see changes in sort of dryness or humidity or temperature based on which types of natural you know, wild plants show up in there. But Martin he studies speliothems, which are stalactites or stalagmites in caves, and so you cut a cross section of them. Their form from dripping of water, so you know, the water dissolves the calcium in the bedrock and then as it drips it sort of accumulates and solidifies, and since it's formed in these kind of layers again through the dripping, and that's why you have that sort of conical shape to these stalactites and stalagmites. You can sort of take a cross section of them, and then you can test them with oxygen isotopes and other isotopes that will tell you that tell you about precipitation. And so that's actually a more direct understanding of what's going on with precipitation specifically. And while of course pollen looks at the wild plants, which gives you a sense of how plants are, and so it's tough to understand though, if what the change in precipitation is right, you know, is this like five millimeters of rainfall, in which case maybe humans can shrug it off, or is it twenty And how is that different in different regions and things like that, right, And so that's where what I wanted to do is I wanted to see if humans adapted to this climate change and can we find any evidence that the people living there they wanted to adapt their sort of animal economy to it. And so what I found is, yes, very clearly they do. There's this shift from sheep to ghats, but only in eastern areas of the mainland and crete. And the reason for that is because if you look at a topographic map of Greece, there's a mountain range that runs right down the middle and the western half of Greece, and crete gets twice as much rainfall as the eastern half. So in the areas where they were more at risk from a drier climate, the eastern half, that's when they had to adapt by shifting from sheep to ghosts. And so I published that with about fifteen sites, or well fifteen sites in each period. And now I've just zoomed in on create my big research projective project is called Zoa Crete, and that picked out, like I don't know, forty five different sites in crete, and you can see this shift over time, and it's really clearly eastern versus western, and it's very very clearly therefore correlated with rainfall. And so that tells me that and I hope others that this climate change was not just something that's showing up in a really you know I am I trying to say, in a really sensitive scientific study, this would have been enough that people felt the need to adapt to it, and so it was very much impacting their their their what what what kind of what their crop outputs and animal outputs were not enough archaeobotanical studies have been done from the Iron Age and Bronze Age to really put together a global picture, like the global a complete picture of these periods and contrast them. Only a few Iron Age sites have been studied. More on that, I hope eventually from colleagues. But so, yeah, but what's happening also is it's a very slow change, so it doesn't happen immediately almost anywhere. It takes several hundred years for people to adapt, and so that also suggests they struggled with it. So like at Nikorea, they never really do it goes you know, like if you ignore that shift cattle, they're still very sheep heavy. They are also in the west, so you know that that might be part of it. So they're getting it there, maybe not as impacted, but yeah, most areas, it seems like it takes several centuries for this shift towards goats. And one of the things that I'm trying to think about is how that impacts then developments to the next period, because the next period, of course is archaic crease, and you think about it. I described this as it's adaptive, but it's also shows that every area is responding differently in a unique sort of heterogeneous way, and that sort of mimics this next period of established from the city states right where it's a very heterogeneous, regional sort of cultural and economic way of people managing themselves. But they're all in these Greek city states. And so I'm wondering if this kind of regionality that we see in ceramics it also has to do with agriculture and food production, and if it's this shift in economic production that helps lead to these cultural changes that we call, you know, the developed in a city state and things like that in these different political economies. So that's what I would say is sort of happening now or what we think, what a lot of us think is happening now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that's really interesting. I it's so funny. I mean, I'm I just associate Greace with goats so much that I'm interested in hearing that transition exactly. Like I mean, I've been to Samothrak and I've been to Crete, and it's like those are my two those are my goat islands in my head. Like I mean, I've definitely seen them, you know, on another a lot of other like cyclic cycladic islands. But I just in my head, it's just like they're so tied together, like goats. Goats are just so Greek to me. But I love hearing about the rainfall. It's so this is like very niche connection. But like so I live on the west coast of Canada. I live in the Pacific Northwest. I live in this general realm where everyone assumes that the whole thing we have all the time, all day, every day is rain, right, like Seattle and Vancouver, that rainiest places imaginable, and they like like our sort of sort of surround where I live, Victoria, the Island, Vancouver Island, But Vancouver Island has this big mountain called the Malahat, and everything south of the Malahat, which is like only a short ways up our very very large island, everything south of the Malahat gets about I mean, I don't know the scientific number, but like just anecdotally having lived in Vancouver and Victoria, like Victoria and the South Island gets probably sixty to seventy percent less rain than Vancouver and Seattle and even north of that mountain because we like we call it our rain shadow. I don't know if it's like a thing broadly, but like we live in this little rain shadow where like everyone assumes it's raining all the time, but really, especially as climate change progresses, like Victoria gets very little rain compared to the other places, and we just live in this nice little bubble. So I'm like, oh, I like I have this kind of like I know how that can happen and how it like affects the difference, and like it can really just be like such a just that little shift of there's a mountain there and the amount of like rainfall is so affected. And I'm deeply unscientific, so but I love the idea that I could just like connect that. I'm like, oh, yeah, I know that just from living here.
Speaker 3: That's really important because I mean, you know, when you you've been to Greece, right, and it's such a heterogeneous landscape. You have some mountains, upland plateaus and coastal plains, you have you know, a whole set of kind of different biomes and so you know, yeah, we need to understand this on a very precise regional and microregional scale, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's it's so diverse there, Like I just have to say, like one of the things that stood out to me most like I've been I've been to a lot of great islands now and not as much on the mainland, but like I went to Samothraki a couple of years ago, and that island to me is like from my experience, it is the most diverse. Like have you been there at all?
Speaker 3: No, I've never been to. No, I wish.
Speaker 2: I mean it's wild. Wild is the only word to use to describe it. I mean the goats alone. But like there most of the island is like very typical Greek, you know, it's it's very dry and arid, and there's this big mountain like the island like is Mount Pangari. And and then but there's this one little spot of this very small island where just one face of the mountain is like a rainforest and there's like you know, waterfalls and rivers and the plants that you go Like there's this town called Therma, and then the river is Fonias and you can go to this like gorge area and it's like a different world. It's like the trees are completely different. Everything is so green and wet and luscious. And then you leave this like tiny little square of the island, and you were on typical Greek where everything is so dry and mountainous and and it's like brown, and there's just goats everywhere. And it's fascinating to me because Samotharky's one of the smallest islands, like and it just like this, this complete difference, just on this one place. So I can only imagine, you know, what exists in the wider Greek world that I haven't seen yet. But I'm also just obsessed with sam with Reki, so I can talk about but.
Speaker 3: I want to pop your bubble, or pop your myth bubble for a second about these goats. So this is a myth. This is like cattle's in Homer.
Speaker 2: What do you mean a myth?
Speaker 3: What I mean that this is a myth? Your association of Greece with goats. So let me tell you a story.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I okay, I mean how many I've seen that?
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, but I'm going to prove it to you. I'm going to prove it to you. Wait, do you do you eat meat? I forget? Yeah? Yeah, okay, good, that that's important. So all right, I gave a lecture. I studied all these goats from Azori on Cretan. I was called goats and other animals in there, and I went to the Internet and I asked for pictures of goats to illustrate my point, and I got so many amazing goat pictures, mostly from Greek archaeologists, but really people all over the world, because goats are so photogenic.
Speaker 2: It's why I sort of got I have from Samothraki in correct, the horns on some of them, because they're all wild and they're like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Far they're they're they were domesticated and they went feral. Yeah so uh but yes, and you need to send me some of those so I can integrate them into my lectures. But it was only after I did this and asked for sheep and cattle for my Twitter followers and nobody could send me any good photos that I realized that these goats and from all over the world. They're highly visible because people let them roam right, so they're very visible, and people like them, so they notice them and see them and photograph them. They end up going viral online and that's why you see all these articles every year, like the Year of the Goat. Everybody's going crazy about baby goats. Online, you know, and whatnot. They are, but they don't represent the actual animal economy in modern Greece. It's still mostly sheep. So if you go into a taverna, what do you order? You order lamb or do you order goat? And so you m yeah, yeah, yeah, And so this is just what you're seeing because the sheep are being raised in a more sort of constricted way. They are what's you know, on agricultural fields that you don't go and visit. You know, you're not going to the farms of Greece where most of those sheep are. Instead, you're up at the archaeological sites and in the forest or at the beach where goats might sometimes roam by because they just sort of roam around.
Speaker 2: Now I have to tell you a bit more about the Samothration that's a.
Speaker 3: Different story because of the're feral goats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well exactly, and Sanmo Three's feral goats, Like I think I read this number somewhere once, but they outnumber people tend to one on Samothraci, like the goats are while you literally cannot exist in the outdoors on Samothraki unless you're in like the town without hearing goats everywhere around you all the time. It's incredible. But Samothraki is also the only place I've ever seen sheep, and so, like I was staying in this hotel.
Speaker 3: Except for a butcher shop.
Speaker 2: Well yes, exactly, live no, I was staying in this hotel and like all of Samothraki, like there's just a road all the way around the island because it's a mountain in the middle, and so everything is basically on the coast, and so from my hotel, I can see the coast and you can like I walked this long street that goes around the island to like get to the closest restaurant. So I like walked this strip along the water like so many times. And one time I was coming back to my hotel and I'm walking along and there is just an entire like herd of sheep and this shepherd guy who's there with a truck and his shepherd crook, and I was like, this is the most iconic thing I've ever seen, Like so and but he'd brought his herd of sheep to the beach and they were like just grazing somewhere, and I was really obsessed with like okay, but he had his so many of them, like how does he get them back? And I was like so interested in this farmer and his sheep and they're on the beach and it's so cool. And then so I like go back to my hotel room to decide. I'm like, I'm gonna watch. I want to see like what this guy does. But I get distracted because the sheep are on this beach and then directly behind the sheep dolphins, huh start cool breaching like literally probably ten to twenty feet off the coast, directly behind this herd of sheep, and I'm just staring at this thing, like what am I even watching right now? I've got dolphins behind a herd of sheep in front of me, and I got so distracted by the dolphins I didn't catch how the guy heard it all his sheep at wherever the heck he was, because I had been like there for a week and never seen a single sheep because of the goats, except when he brought them in. So it definitely proves your point. But also it's just one of my favorite eends from Semukreki. It's the craziest island, Like it's another world entirely. But yeah, I did see domesticated sheep and a lot of feral goats.
Speaker 3: Far goats are on and it's yeah, yeah, I mean but even the even the ones that are domesticated are problems. Like we had a lot of problems with them climbing our fences and getting onto the site. So that are those the students excavating. They'd enter the trench every morning to go turts, and so you know, it creates problems with scientific sampling. It creates all kinds of issues. But you can't really control goats because they're able to climb pretty much anything, and so.
Speaker 2: You know why they work so well, yeah, mountainous grease.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and it also means when you start hitting a recession and stop doing as much investment into agricultural wild spaces, goats can just take over, like on samitharchy, and it's a real problem there. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, they are a myth in that sense. They mostly raise them for feta. So most of the feta you eat his goats cheese. And then most of the animal that you eat is often lamb, unless it's adult, in which case some butchers or restaurants that might occasionally give you goat when they say it's cheap, that can happen to Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've definitely seeing goat on the menu. I have chosen to eat it, but I mean I'm not like a big adventurous meat person. I'll admit though in grease i am more so, so I probably should, but no, it's I mean, it's interesting because, yeah, I associate when it comes to at least grease and Greek food, I associate goat with the milk, with feta and cheese. Broadly, it's a lot of a lot of goat cheese over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you should if you're ever in Greece for something like smoky Tuesdays, Seek No Pempty or Easter or something like that. I mean, it's just lamb everywhere, all over, and so I mean, you know, they really are a lamb eating culture rather than a goat eating culture. Definitely.
Speaker 2: The only place I've really seen goat on the menu is like in crete, which I know, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: All over, it's all over, but it's it's it's good. It's a goat is great. They sometimes do it with old goat, but you can also get young goat, and I've never had bad goat. It's it's good, and it's it's you have to it's a little game here, but it's it's when they when they know if you if they know how to cook it, they'll make it really delicious.
Speaker 2: I mean Greek food. They know how to cook it.
Speaker 3: But maybe you don't want to go out and cook a goat.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're going to do it for me. I don't cook a lot of animal mad I just get people to do it for you. It's just I mean, this is so fascinating because I just never think about this side of it, the interactions with animals, let alone the study of bones to figure out this kind of thing. Is there is there more? I mean, obviously there's so much more, but like, is there more particularly that you want to share when it comes to this, like the Bronze Age associations and you know that transition or really anything fond about how about bronz Age and food?
Speaker 3: This ain't Bronze Age per se. It's more like what we can think about coming next. So in a sense I've mentioned at a few points things like isotopes studies, right, So you can take isotopes from people's teeth and bones, and it tells you about diet and stuff like that. So you can look at how much animal consumption or different kinds of plants people are eating, stuff like that. But you can also do that with animals. And so this is what I'm doing right now, is you can actually take samples from the teeth of the bones of animals and you can see understand their diet and even better if you if anyone was paying a lot of attention, I mentioned that at some point those those spieliothems, those stalactites and stalagmites, uh, they use sometimes oxygen isotope can tell you about seasonal or precipitation, or weather patterns, climate pans. So you can do this on the tooth of a sheeper goat. Unlike most human teeth, sheep and goat teeth or cattle teeth, they grow up and the way they I'm making signs with you too with my hand. Nobody can see them, but.
Speaker 2: They normally I remember, but now I'm like, does the shape.
Speaker 3: So the way that these teeth grow is it's it's one layer of enamel at a time, right, And so if we sample a tooth horizontally, and we take several samples up a tooth. What we end up with is a signature of what this animal is eating during different seasons of the year. Yeah, right, And so we can correlate that using oxygen, and then the carbon signature, which we get at the same time from the mass spectrometer from the same sample, tells us about the type of plants that the animal is eating. And so what that tells us is how these animals are managed seasonally. So when you think about modern day agriculture, you see all these goats, do you have a sense of how they're herded between uplands and lowland seasonally?
Speaker 2: I only associate it with samilthraki, where they're just fucking everywhere. They're doing their own things. They don't give a shit.
Speaker 3: Fucking feral goats everywhere everywhere. Okay, So traditionally these sheep and goat and other animals there are oftentimes, so if you think about it, they're in the uplands in the summer when it's cooler and the uplands are more lush, and they're in the lowlands in the winter. That's sort of modern animal husbandry. And there's been this debate that's been raging between ancient historians and archaeologists for about one hundred y and it's called the agro pastoral debate, and it's about a big chunk of it is about whether they move their animals up and down seasonally. And so now we can start to answer this kind of question by doing this isotope study up a tooth to see what they're eating and where they're going from the geological signature seasonally, and so that's going to be able to tell us a lot more. I've started getting results from Zorea, so that's iron Age and archaic, but there's no Bronze Age animals there. And then collaborator of my Ballacia Izikivu, has published some from Bronze Age Kumosos, and I am going to Greece next week. I'm working with her and I'm grabbing material with a permit from the Ministry of Culture and everything like that. I'm not just taking it with me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, and I you.
Speaker 3: Know, I have a conservator that's gonna inspect what I do and I'll be discussing how I sample it, and I have an official permit and everything, and I'll be taking material back here in Cardiff in order to do this analysis on material from Iron Age and then Classical period and Roman period sheep and goat from Kenosos. So we'll have a record from the Bronze Age to the Roman period soon at Kenosos that could maybe be talking about in more detail how this animal management adapts and responds and drives cultural changes and relates to climate change and things like that. And so we'll really have a clearer understanding of that between those periods at a few of these sites, and if I get more funding, I'll do it at more sites, places like Cathens and elsewhere, because I think it's important to reach this level of resolution. If you will, you know, if we want to really understand how humans adapt to sort of climate change, one thing I can say is they take way too long. That that clearly now, yeah, we can tell that right now. I mean, this is this is an article I want to write for some magazine. Is like, you know, when you look at these shifts in the Greek world, they tell us that people took too long. They clearly recognize that the climate was changing. And it's funny how we're mimicking this intensification. We're just growing our economy. But you know, at some point we're gonna have to start thinking about changing our diversity. So that's this guy Mac Marston who teaches it. Bu We wrote this article on different ways people can adapt to climate change, and one is intensification, the other one is diversity, biodiversity and diversify strategies. Even so you don't just do the same strategy. You do different kinds of strategies in different places. And so you know, we're gonna have to start thinking about that today and we need to act faster because you know, we look at the Iron Age of Greece and even though I agree calling it a dark age is silly, doesn't make sense. But at the same time people there were more people that were malnourished, there were people that were not eating as well, and there are no elites at all, you know, Like you get these stories of elites that want to build a bunker and survive, and then they ask what can I do when my guards have guns and I don't, And it's like, well, dude, if you want to look at some history so you can inform yourself when you look at collapse, collapse is a stupid term. Collapse literally just means the collapse of the elites. When we think of cultural collapses and civilizational collapses, it's the elites who get fucked yep, just as much as everyone else. And the elites disappear, right, they get they get eaten and become.
Speaker 2: The poor as well, and so you know, the angry left. Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Like, if there's some billionaire listening who wants to build a bunker, screw that. Fuck that work to help society as a whole mitigate and adapt to climate change, because we're all going down together.
Speaker 2: And your billions aren't gonna matter then, so nothing, they don't matter now, So maybe just fucking use them correctly instead of Yeah, yeah, Zucker, and we're talking to you. Yeah, I just I mean, that's yeah, that's a pretty interesting. I'm glad we have that connection to modern climate change because, like I mean, if you think like they took too long back then and they did not have the human made impacts of climate change that we have now, and we are like the evidence is there, we're fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like well, I mean, look, I refuse to be a dumer about it. I mean, the reality is people have adapted, and we can adapt if we can somehow get the will to do it.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, that's the thing. It's not about the people. It's about the elite wanting to do it right. And I mean I would love to, but I have no control over that.
Speaker 3: Some notes of optimism is that the lots of countries are decarbonizing at you know, not as fast as we need, but they it's moving along, and that's important to acknowledge because that builds up economies of scale, makes it cheaper to decarbonize for other people. And to be honest, if you think about it long term, it's a capitalists should want to decarbonize. It's a lot cheaper to use renewable energy sources than they have to mine into the ground and transport them all over the world, like that costs money. So you know, like I think we will decarbonize. And there's lots of efforts to adapt things like our some mostly in wealthier countries of course, agricultural systems and to build flood barriers and to adapt to rising sea levels. But I definitely think we need to think more about food as well, because, to be honest, we talk about like more intense storms and we talk about rising sea level, but what's really impacting people today from climate change that is already happening is food. That's why we see famines, That's why we see refugee crises, that's why we see there's people that have speculated with good evidence, not just crappy speculation that you know, the wars in Syria, for example, started with famines which were caused basically by climate change, or at least made a lot worse. And so you know already today, if we want to be thinking about what's really impacting most people, it's food. It's the price of food that it's the availability of food. It's our ability to grow and distribute food. That is what underpins our society and our ability to live. So we got to fix that up and make it work better. It also contributes to to to carbon as well. You know, all the fertilizers we use, the ways in which we produce animals, factory.
Speaker 2: Farming in North America specifically, yeah, yeah, yeah, And so we're talking to you a lot today between the oil and the factory farming province. It is reassuring, it is there's some positive I mean, hopefully, I have trouble with trusting any capitalist government, but I'd like to think that maybe things will change, yeah, you know for us today, but it's so interesting to look at these past examples of what was happening. Like I think we often don't don't think about that because because you know, human made climate change now is so much faster, and it like we are dealing with so much of that now that it's interesting to look back on the stuff that did happen naturally.
Speaker 3: And we have to, I mean, like it's silly not to look to the past to understand how we can respond. I mean, I know that some archaeology has some relevance with something called lithic mulching. So for a long time in Southwest America you see sort of Southwest indigenous farms archaeologically, I mean, and there's sort of terraces, and it's like, how are people growing in the middle of the desert, right, And what you see oftentimes is this scattering of stones in the soil. And we know they're growing there because we have pollen and archaeopotanical stuff. We have terraces and like you know, houses and other structures there. And the way they're able to do that is through something called lithic mulching, where when you put stones in the soil the stones help retain moisture. You can think about this if you go outside today and do after on a drier day, and you pick up a rock, the soil right under the rock is wetter than the soil that's right next to it, and so the and lithic multi The more archaeologists look at it, we find it in indigenous cultures all over the world, right and so so now people are starting to adapt that to modern farming in areas that are getting drier, and so we should definitely be looking to the past to start thinking about how to I mean, look, how often have humans had to deal with climate change? Obviously a lot over the span of thousands and thousands of years, but not that it's only this one event in our own lifetime. So you know, if we want to understand different ways that human societies have adapted, I mean, I think we have to look to the past. And it's so silly that we see things like all these cuts to things like archaeology and humanities and stuff like that, because how do we how do we contextualize major changes? There's no way to do that. We always economists look to the past with stock performance, people who comment on sports look to the past with statistics. You know what they're doing. We got to do the same thing with humans. You know, we look to the past to inform our own decisions, to provide context to why we make decisions. And so, you know, just because ours is anthropogenic climate change does not make it. You know, the end point could be drastically different as climate change goes faster and more severe than ever before. But obviously we want to work to mitigate that, you know, that's the goal is to decarbonize and mitigate that and so, but at the same time, there's some amount of climate change that's cooked in, let's say, and so we should be looking in the past or ways that we can mitigate that or adapt to it, is what I mean. Sorry, Yeah, and obviously things like elithic mulching, but also the evidence for biodiversity from past food production. If you go to POMPEII, for example, and you walk around, you might notice there's these weird concrete things that kind of look like a platform form with like spider legs underneath it. Oh.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was just there, but now I'm like, oh, what are this? Okay, sorry, keep going, It's okay.
Speaker 3: You can you see them in a more wide open spaces at Pompeii. What they are is so all right, so you probably saw the bodies when you went to Pompeii.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, not enough, I was. We spent too much time walking around, but I did I thought saw some.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So what happens with that is when the volcanic material rains down, organic life forms like people got trapped in this lapili is what they're called there, and eventually the bodies decayed away and left a void. And early excavators saw these voids. There were people, and they poured in plaster. And that's what those bodies are that you see on display, those spider leg things with a platform. That's actually the same thing but for a tree trunk and roots. Oh cool. Yeah, they're all over Pompeii. None of them have signs. You have to know what you're looking for or to see them. But they're all over right by the Amphitheater And like you know, well, I wish I talked to you two minutes ago.
Speaker 2: I was there for the first time in January.
Speaker 3: But what this lets us do at Pompeii, because especially these days, experts are really they're they're keen to identify this kind of stuff, and like Barbara Burrell's doing excavations at a villa nearby, I think is that a plontis I'm blanking on which villa it is, and different teams they're able to see these, and they're able to now pour in the plaster in about different kind of plaster, which gets you more specific root cast. It was wil Helmina Zruzhzemsky, by the way, she was the first one to develop this technique in the seventies. But now we're down to like this micro level of roots, which lets biologists then identify very closely to species and much smaller plants as well, which means we can say this tree was here, that tree was there, that's stake in the ground that had a vine on it was right there, right, And then from other types of things like archaeobotanical stuff and pollen samples, we can really put together a farmstead right in real place, what's growing where at the time of the eruption, And what we see is it looks nothing like our farms today, nothing at all. When you go to like the Midwest or in Midwest, it's corn as far as you can see. And I don't know In France it's corn or sunflowers as far as you can see. In Greece it's olive trees as far as you can see, you know, And so we have this monoculture. This is the epitome of polyculture. It's one row of olives next to another row of a different kind of fruit tree in between them as a row of vines. Right over there is a small little field for wheat and legumes. It's all in one farmstead and that is extremely productive, if you you know, the more different. There's a lot of studies done by Big Agriculture as well, even funded by the show that the more biodiversity there is a plot of land, the more you can produce. The amount that we think of of ancient people getting out of a plot of land has been kind of the scholars until recently have underestimated it. In fact, ancient agriculture, probably a lot of it produced more per unit of land than modern industry of agriculture because it was so biodiverse. We don't like it for our economy today because it takes a lot more work, right, so it's an efficiency of labor issue, But in terms of maximizing your production out of the landscape in the face of something like climate change. We need to be thinking about polyculture systems. And you know, that's what most indigenous agriculture around the world is, that's what most ancient Greek and Roman agriculture around the world is, so on and so forth. That's actually how to be more productive and efficient and stable and resilient, sustainable and resilient with your sort of food production systems. And so we should be looking to these food productions resistance in the past to get some ideas on how to rejigger our own in the face of this. One of my arguments, well.
Speaker 2: I imagine that looking back to what indigenous people did, you know in so many places, I think of North America so specifically, but you know, like they knew how to use the land without harming the land in a lot of ways. Like they really really had this like actual real connection with with the land and were able to do all of these things that we just you know, capitalism has just made it so that like it just doesn't occur in the same ways. And and it's all about you know, power and power structures versus you know, particularly those indigenous groups that were less concerned with that and more concerned with with just living happily on the land and honoring it and all of that. It's you know, it's a it's a really interesting thing. And I think particularly in North America, Like I know that you know, indigenous archaeology and stuff is studied, but obviously the you know, the the colonial impacts that are still so long lasting. I mean that they're not you know, we're not looking as much as I think that we should. But it is so interesting to look at, you know, the way that a lot of indigenous people really cared for their land in ways that is so different from us today. Like yeah, just a much more like holistic approach to that, and.
Speaker 3: It's much smarter. I mean, like think about it evolutionarily, like how long did people survive in the land doing these kind of traditional agricultural ways of life. They supported many many, many thousands of years, many thousands of years of generations of people. Industrialization, it looks like we're about to go out like a flash in a pan where you know, it's like if you think about it, like what we think of as smart, no, that way of life is the smart way that's evolutionarily beneficial, you know, is to actually honor the land around you, and too to understand how to live off of it in a sustainable way, not to just exploit it and accumulate wealth for no reason, you know, other than a pissing contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, I I could go on forever, but yeah, I just I love that we were, that you made these connections because I think, yeah, the connection to modern the modern day is so important and just generally interesting to look at this comparison, because I think it is it's sometimes hard or easy to forget how many thousands of years ancient indigenous peoples lived on their lands without damaging a damn thing about it. And then yeah, in the last few hundred years, we've just come in and torn it all up, and we're about to just like leave this planet in the dust because we don't know how to to actually work with the land in the ways that you know, are sustainable and lasting and actually benefit both the earth and the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and make it work together, you know. And it's amazing because we live in a period where we have all this knowledge and it's just like where we have the ability to like, like it's not like the people in the early Iron age had the ability to really track precipitation in the same way, and so they figured it out. Yeah, they figured it out. I mean it took a while, but we know how to figure it out right now. We have the understanding of why indigenous agriculture was ecological for example, and sustainable. We have the ability to understand that the climate is changing and that it's not about to stop, so we need to do something about it. And so it's just so silly to think about I don't know, like as if this should be some debate between science and and and and humanities or something like that, or scientific knowledge and indigenous knowledge. Indigenous knowledge is scientific and scientific knowledge helps us understand how to tackle these problems, and so we should be taking that and using you know, figuring out how to survive and thrive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I mean theeah, the big difference is we we know we need to do this, we know we need to adapt, whereas you know, certainly in their early Iron Age they're looking at it, they're like they're not certain yet, Like it probably took a while for them to realize they had to adapt because you don't, I mean, you don't notice things are changing until they've been changing for a while exactly because it feels like a blip until you're like, well, actually, I guess it's been ten years of this. Now we have to look at starting to adapt and then you have more of like that transition that figuring it out, and even.
Speaker 3: Then, what is this called the baseline effect? Yeah, the shifting baseline effect is another big thing which prevents us from realizing this where you know, you don't always realize that things have changed because your own ground zero is shifting alongside it, right, right, And so this is a well known human phenomenon. It's why it's really difficult to detect something like climate change, because it happened so gradually that even by the time it has changed to the point where things should be observable, your memory has sort of changed about what things were like. And you know, we're all and so clever unless we measure things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, that's really interesting. I'm utterly thrilled with the turn that this took to modern climate change. I mean, I suppose I saw it coming too, but I told you clim I mean yeah, and I even if you hadn't been going to talk about it in the modern world, I certainly would have brought it up. So yeah, no, I I this is absolutely fascinating. Good, yeah, absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for doing this. Of course I kept you for a while, so it's fine. Yeah, yeah, great, perfected. This has been an incredible episode. Do you want to tell my listeners where they can read more from you, hear more from you, whatever you want to share.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So my name is Flint Devil and you can find me. Most of what I'm going to try to produce for the public will be on YouTube, but if I write or do other things, you can find me on other social media like x or blue Sky or threads or whatever. Masks done yeah under my name.
Speaker 2: That one still exists too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I mostly just go on there to post. But you know, I don't know it's it's I used to really like writing Twitter threads. I really like the medium let me express myself about archaeology in a nice way, and this takeover of it by Elon Musk is just really I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know it, Yeah, it changed it all. I really missed the old Twitter too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm debating just trying to ignore that and just try to recreate what I was doing, and it's it's sort of like the idea of going on Joe Rogan. You have to appeal to where people are and if we have as scholars, I think we have to stop just talking to ourselves but talk to you know, the public at large about what we know and why it matters. And yeah, it's not easy, but it's something like Twitter x of whatever the hell you want to call it. I still call it Twitter most of the time. And it's it's sort of like, you know, the look that's still a very effective platform for sharing this kind of stuff because it is. And so I don't like that he's taking it over, but what can I do. It's just I have to live my life. We all have to live our lives in this shitty situation where the oligarchs own everything and don't think about anything other than their own wealth and see, yeah, just sucks.
Speaker 2: Don't bring themselves down with us if they will.
Speaker 3: That's actually an article I really want to write. It's like, how like, you know, they need to recognize that there's no escaping this. If you look back to history, they're totally fucked, all of them. Elon Musk, Bill Gates, whatever it doesn't matter who they are. They're all fucked, just like we all are going to burn along Sideah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh jeez, and your your YouTube is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? YouTube? It's archaeology with Flint Divil is what it's called.
Speaker 2: But yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's my name, and find me. I have some fun stuff coming out at a big video about Atlantis and another one called Disproving Lost Civilizations.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah, well, I I will link to everything in that episode of description too so everyone can find it cool. But yeah, that sounds wonderful. Well, thank you so much for doing this fun good uh nerds, thank you so much for listening. Oh my gosh, that was It was such a fun episode. And as you heard at the end, you can find more from Flint about all of this very real and fascinating archaeology on YouTube. I've linked to that in the episode's description as well. Since we recorded this, though I was told off Mike before we recorded, but since we recorded this, Flint has gone on a podcast. I think the intention is good. I'm having trouble saying it because it is the Joe Rogan podcast and I have thoughts and feelings, but it was to debate Graham Hancock, who talks a lot about pseudo archaeology and stu to history and things like that. And so if you enjoyed my Atlantis episodes, or you know the time I returned to this type of stuff when that quote unquote documentary Ancient Apocalypse came out. If you're interested in that, you might want to check out this episode of just look for Flint's name in your podcast app. I feel like that's better. And next week, on Tuesday, instead of a standard narrative episode, I will be bringing you the last episode of this Bronze Age series, another conversation and one with Well. I mean, I think he's probably considered to be the top name in the Bronze Age collapse. And if he's not the top one, then he's certainly among them. I'll be speaking with doctor Eric Klein, who's the author of eleven seventy seven BCE, The Year Civilization Collapsed, about well exactly that and so so much more. So stay tuned. That's coming on Tuesday. Thank you all so much for listening. Let's talk about it. Baby is written and produced by me Live Albert, but of course this series would not exist without the brain of MICHAELA. Smith the assistant producer, and of course Laura Smith is the audio engineer and a production assistant working on the audio of all of these conversations. The podcast is part of the iHeartMedia Network. Questioning Myself this thing I say all of the time. Listen on Spotify or Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. Help me continue bringing you the world of ancient Greece and the Mediterranean by subscribing to my Patreon, where you will get access to loads of past bonus episodes from these seven almost seven years that I've been doing this thing. Holy crap, it's been a while. Thank you all so much for listening these dives into history. I have such a love a love with like a little bit of hate relationship with them. They just require such different brain space for me, and I just, oh my gosh. But speaking to these experts that is the best part because I just get to sit back and like be in utter awe of some of the stuff, and it's just incredible. I hope you learned a lot. I sure did. I am live and I love this shit.