Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Let's begin with Alphabet. Those shares are hired by more than eleven percent. Google's parent company reported first quarter revenue that exceeded analyst expectations thanks to gains in its cloud computing unit. Alphabet's chief financial officer Ruth parazzas AI services are increasingly fueling growth.
Speaker 3: We are very pleased with our financial results for the first quarter, driven in particular by strength and search and cloud, as well as the ongoing efforts to durably re engineer our cost base.
Speaker 2: And alphabet chief financial officer Ruth Parat says the company will pay a dividend of twenty cents a share, it's its first ever, and will repurchase an additional seventy billion dollars in stock.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan shares a Microsoft, You're out more than three and a half percent. Quarterly sales and profit climb more than projected, lifted by corporate demand for the software maker's cloud and artificial intelligence offerings. Bloomberg Intelligence Senior tech analyst underrag Rana says it was a good quarter for azure It's cloud computing business.
Speaker 4: The AGEL gross of thirty one percent. I mean that's a big jump. The expectations were twenty eight percent, and frankly speaking, going into the quarter, we thought anything above twenty eight would be a welcome I mean, this is a very big number, frankly given the current macro conditions.
Speaker 1: Aside from cloud computing, Bloomberg Intelligence is underrag Rana says Microsoft's desktop software business benefited from stabilizing demand for personal computers.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, the biggest tech winner this morning maybe Snap. Those shares are surging more than twenty three percent. The social media company reported first quarter results of pet estimates and gave an outlook that's stronger than forecast.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan. One company that's not participating in this bounce back tech rally is Intel. Shares are down seven percent. The biggest maker of personal computer processors gave a lackluster forecast for the current period. Analysts say that's an indication Intel is still struggling to return to the top tier of the chip industry.
Speaker 2: Karen, want to get you up to date now on that proposed takeover in the mining industry. Anglo American has rejected a thirty nine billion dollar takeover proposal from BHP Group, saying it significantly undervalues the company. Bloomberg's Martin Richie says a rejection is not uncommon in deals of this nature.
Speaker 4: This is no unusual in takeover deals.
Speaker 2: Many uneless SARI have said that they think the premium offered by BHP is probably not sufficient for a transaction of this complexity, and Bloomberg's Martin Richie says BHP is now going to have to improve its offtware if it wants to start talks.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, we get another key reading on inflation today with the Fed's preferred inflation gauge, the PCEE deflator. It comes a day after a report that showed US economic growth slid to an almost two year low while inflation jumped, and we get a preview with Bloomberg's and Michael McKee.
Speaker 5: Well, that was a surprise. Pce inflation on a quarterly basis came in a lot hotter than anticipated yesterday. Today's report on March inflation will answer the question posed, was that because of January and February being revised higher, or is the March number going to be a lot stronger than forecast. If it were, that would really rock markets. Investors would see evidence inflation is not just sticky but actually rising again as reason for the Fed to give up any plans to cut interest rates this year. Eyes will also be on the report's consumer spending data. Slowing growth with rising inflation is the last thing Wall Street wants to see. Michael McKee, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Mike, thanks, Now, let's turn to politics and reports that former President Donald Trump's advisors are taking aim at the FED. According to the Wall Street Journal, they have drawn up roughly ten pages outlining a policy vision for the central Bank. Trump's allies are arguing the president should be consulted on interest rate decisions and that the Treasury Department should be used more as a check on the FED. Sources tell them Journal. Trump should also have the authority to remove J. Powell as chairman before his term ends in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan, speaking of Donald Trump. Immunity for the former president and all future presidents is now before the Supreme Court, and Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has the details.
Speaker 6: The Justice has expressed skepticism towards sweeping immunity, but did say there may be a place for some kind of protection. Justice Samuel Alito asked, without immunity, would presidents be able to act.
Speaker 7: After leaving office?
Speaker 8: Is not that the president is going to be able to go off into a peaceful retirement, but that the president may be criminally prosecuted.
Speaker 6: But Justice Katanji Brown Jackson said, if there is no potential liability.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't there be a significant risk that future presidents would be emboldened to commit crimes with abandon while they're in office.
Speaker 6: Justice Sonya Sotomayor brought it back more specifically to Trump, this is.
Speaker 5: What you're asking us to say, President, it's an intoc entitle for total personal gain.
Speaker 6: The justices seemed to say this may not be done so that his DC trial could start before the election. At Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, ed, thank you, and testimony resumes this morning in the Manhattan hush money trial of the former president, and it's the defense's turn to question former National Inquirer publisher David Pecker. He was the prosecution's first witness and described helping a very embarrassing stories that Trump feared would hurt his campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, we turned to geopolitics. Now, Nathan and Secretary of State Anthony Blencoln meeting with Chinese President Shijin Ping in Beijing. This follows about five hours of talks with China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi, who says problems are mounting between the world's two biggest economies. Here he is speaking through an interpreter.
Speaker 9: Kushani's relationship is beginning to stabilize across the areas. Our two sides have increased dialogue, cooperation, and the positive side of the relationship. This is welcomed by our two peoples and the international community. But at the same time, denective factors in the relationship is still increasing and building, and the relationship is facing all kinds of disruptions.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Following those comments from Foreign Minister Wig Yee, Chinese state media quoted President she is saying the US and China need to resolve some remaining issues and that the two countries should be partners, not rivals. Honest. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, good Morning, Good.
Speaker 10: Morning, Karen Police crackdowns on college campuses nationwide have led to arrests and universities calling off commencement. Bloomberg's Amy Morris as the latest.
Speaker 11: The University of Southern California canceled its main commencement ceremonies citing safety concerns. Other schools have rewritten their rules to ban encampments and moved final exams to new locations. This after hundreds of students on campuses across the country have been arrested as they take part in a nationwide movement from Columbia to Harvard Berkeley, New York University, Yale, North Carolina, Illinois, Texas, George Washington University, and American University. The students are demanding schools cut financial ties to Israel and divest from companies enabling the conflict. They also want universities to drop charges against pro Palestinian student organizers in Washington, Amy Morris, Bloomberg, Radio.
Speaker 10: Harvey Weinstein's accusers and their advocates were shocked and angered by a New York appellate court's decision to overturn the ex movie Moguls twenty twenty rape conviction, but Me Too advocates sought to send a clear message that the movement has not been derailed. The appeals court overturned the conviction, finding the trial judge unfairly allowed testimony based on allegations that were not part of the case. Weinstein's attorney, Arthur idnella what the Court of Appeals said.
Speaker 8: You can't throw out one hundred years of legal precedents because someone is unpopular.
Speaker 10: The decision does not mean Weinstein will go free. He must serve a sixteen year sentence for rape in California. President Biden is in the New York City area for fundraisers. Yesterday, the President visited Syracuse. Biden announced a six billion dollar investment in semiconductor manufacturer Micron that he says will create thousands of jobs in New York and Idaho.
Speaker 12: Together a Shermer leader and I, we took action to make sure these chips are made in America again, creating tens of thousands, and I mean tens of thousands of good paying jobs. Bring your prices down for everyone.
Speaker 10: Last night, the President attended a fundraiser in Westchester County. Biden wraps up his New York visit today with more campaign stops. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it. With the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Herot all right, Michael, thank you. Time now for the Bloombergy Sports Update with John stash Hour. John, Good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 8: It's become an annual part of the NFL draft. Teams desperate to try and find the next Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson. That's why the top three picks last night in Detroit, and six of the.
Speaker 10: Top twelve all quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: Caleb Williams of Chicago, Jaden Daniels to Washington, Drake May to New England. Then, in a stunning move, Atlanta took Michael Pennix junior. He was not expected to go that high, and the Falcons just signed free agent QB kirk Cousins. Minnesota took JJ McCarthy. Denver drafted bow Knicks. There was a belief the Giants would take a quarterback, but instead of taking someone to replace Daniel Jones, they took a player who should help Jones. LSU's speedy white out Malik Neighbors.
Speaker 13: One of those teams I can contribute with my you know, ability to do great things. With the football. So you know, I'm glad they picked me, and I'm hoping, you know, I know they're gonna do too many things when I get there, miss refit. I'm showing, you know, Dave Ball has turned a lot of great receivers into you know, a lot of great things. So I'm trying to beat just one of those guys.
Speaker 8: The Jets few picks later, went with Penn State tackle oulu Fashanu. Rounds two and three take place tonight, Rounds four and seven tomorrow. Nixon Sixers Game three in Philadelphia, tight first half, and then Joe l Embad went off in the third quarter, scored eighteen points, took four three pointers, made them all six ers one one, twenty five, one to fourteen, cutting the next series leading to to one m beat finished with fifty. He's the first in playoff history to score fifty on fewer than twenty shots. Jalen Brunson, who didn't play well on the two Nick wins, did play well in the Game three, Los score thirty nine. Game four Sunday afternoon, after two losses in Cleveland, Orlando, came home won by thirty eight in La Denver again beat the Lakers, and are up three to nothing. So are the Carolina Hurricanes. David the Islanders three to two. Florida won five to three at Tampa Bay, also a three nothing leeing. The Rangers looked to go up three nothing. Tonight in Washington, Yankees left eleven on base lost to oakloom three to one. John Stashy. That went Bloomberg's On. It's karonon Nathan.
Speaker 10: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Well, the bulls are back in the driver's seat this morning after blowout earnings for Microsoft and Google parent Alphabet and a signal from both these tech giants that massive bets on artificial intelligence and cloud computing are paying off and for more. We're joined by Bloomberg's Kritty Goubta Critty.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Well, we know the bar was really high for both these companies, and you look at the price action this morning, it looks like investors think they cleared it and then.
Speaker 7: Some Good morning, Nathan, Yeah, the bar high for sure, and them delivering with SWAWD colors, but there is a little bit of a different story for nuances between the two companies. And I want to start with Alphabet here because that's the big one that a lot of people were watching in terms of the catchup trade when it comes to AI and cloud as well, because we know for the cloud business, Microsoft and Amazon Web Services have really been the outperformers and therefore the dominant players in terms of market share, whereas Alphabet and Oracle have been trying to make up some of the gap. This marks a little bit of a turning point for that dynamic simply because Alphabet came out and basically said that not only does they have a good sales quarter a good profit in terms of their numbers, but they also have their second quarter of profits specifically for their AI unit. I mean, the Wall Street to estimates there were about six hundred and twenty one million. They came out with nine hundred million. The reason this matters, Nathan, is because when you have that profitability, you can scale up more quickly and actually have more incentive to do that, and that's really put some on track to compete with the likes of Microsoft and AWS on top of that. As if that wasn't enough to really power the shares, they added a little bit of a sweetener, a twenty cent per share dividend, their first ever in history seventy billion dollar share buyback. Not too shabby for outset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly not. So is this becoming more of a horse race than in the cloud? I mean, there's been so much attention on asure the Microsoft partnership with open Ai, and at the same time as you're's shown that, you know they've got more room to run as well.
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 7: And I think the context here is really important for Microsoft's business there, because their cloud business is the real money maker for their entire kind of company. And I think this quarter they had about a thirty percent growth rate, But they've been hugging around that thirty percent level for a couple of quarters now, and I want to maybe two or three quarters ago, there was a big concern they would start dipping. Essentially, this idea here simply being that growth rate makes a lot of sense when you're scaling up, you have this exponential rate of return and rise, but at some point it kind of plateaus and every quarter investors kind of go in and say, is this the moment that that Asia business is going to be less of or at least decelerate in terms of their growth. Microsoft has come out and said, look, that's not what's happening here when it comes to their cloud business. A lot of that is because they're now using AI as a tailwind for cloud, and I think mandeep Thing over Bloomberg Intelligence often makes a great point that a lot of kind of corporate America international corporates even happen and fully invested in cloud. So there's a lot of run room to begin with on the cloud business, even though it's been around for a decade or so. Add on the AI story and there's still a lot of growth ahead. And that's the message coming out of both Microsoft and out its so.
Speaker 2: Critty, how does this set us up for what we could get from Amazon next week? Of course they're big cloud player with Amazon Web Services, but is the pressure on even more now for them.
Speaker 7: To deliver it? Absolutely is, especially because a lot of folks have looked at Amazon Webserves as Amazon as a company, of course, but specifically Amazon Webserves is in their tech kind of division as being late to the AI trade. They do have an AI investment in anthropic, but it's not the same level of investment that for example, Microsoft has put towards open Ai. So a big question here is as AI becomes a tailwind for Alphabet and Microsoft's cloud services, does it then become kind of the Achilles Heel for the AWS cloud offering. And that's really where that's an incredibly kind of important tone change and tone set. I would argue that Amazon has to prove given that the new CEO, Andy Jase, used to be the head of WUS before he took on the rain over at the company.
Speaker 2: Just thirty seconds left here, Critty, But does the market narrative change? Will we get March PCEE later on this morning?
Speaker 7: It could change. Look, there was a lot of what some are calling this morning new European trade and overreaction in the bond marketing. Stock market numbers are still looking good, but again it's that pce diflator that could really change the dial and get a little bit more clearity on what we saw in the GDP numbers yesterday.
Speaker 14: This is Bloomberg day Break today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else at your podcasts.
Speaker 14: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 14: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, seriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak