Speaker 1: You guys know, I think cookbooks and menus are a form of literature. Read a lot of these ridiculous historians Max Noll and I they called me Ben. We had a we had a moment in January of twenty eighteen where we got super into.
Speaker 2: Gelatin Into is maybe a strong way of putting it. I think jello on its own is a delightful treat. It's locale, it's squishy, and it goes down easy if you have a sore throat. Great for hospital days. You know, I'm a big fan of line personally. I don't know what you guys's favorite jello flavors are.
Speaker 1: I can't believe we used to be friends.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sorry, I just I'm a little basically blue, well blue, what is blue?
Speaker 1: Jealous flavor? Blue? Yeah, we have a blue drink. We have an episode on artificial flavoring coming up in the future, in the future of ridiculous history. And gelatine itself is an amazing technology. I mean, it's it's ancient, but it's also I don't know, it's still so fascinating. It's so fun. I'm a person who plays with my food. I love that stuff.
Speaker 2: Remember Jello jigglers guy, Yeah, itello that you'd cut out with cookie cutters, and oh man, there was a golden time when Bill Cosby before we knew too much about that. Oh boy, he was the guy and he was the jigglers. All that stuff didn't age very well now that we know. Uh. But here's the thing. Jello in that form and it's purest form, the little bit of food coloring and some sweetener and you know whatever artificial flavoring a delight. Well, you start mixing in mayonnaise and olives and pickles and celery and shoot of slivers of meat, oh geez, or the earlier versions of it with things called aspects, which would be a gelatine kind of with meat chunks, you know, sort of suspended there. It really it becomes pretty cursed. There's an actually what I was looking for and talk was this guy has a channel called I Spy Antiques. He does a video where he tries to make a jello salad that he found in his grandmother's recipe book and he makes it in like a lamb cake mold and it ends up being this just cursed green, weird lumpy. It's got like green peppers in it. He takes a bite and it's just like he he curses God.
Speaker 1: Essentially, I never understood it, and that's what that's what comes to the forefront in today's classic episode. If you like us, are alive in twenty twenty four and you're wondering why why did gelatine become such a thing. Nowadays it's relegated to the world the desserts. But once upon a time, folks, as we will learn together today, gelatine was considered like a savory medium, a savory path for a main dish. And it's just it's it's a centerpiece. Dare we say, you know, we say, yeah, yeah, it's a It's a cavalcade of culinary catastrophe. Anyway, here it is ridiculous History. Is a production of iHeartRadio, America's most famous dessert. There's always room for Jel. Hello, my name is Ben. I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna take me a minute to wrap my head around. It's not worth it, No, it is worth it. You you you kind of just broke my brain. But I guess I'm Noel and I think this is ridiculous history. And today we're talking about Gello, but not just any gel I mean, we're gonna cover, We're gonna run the game of all gelatinous products, but specifically today we're talking about meat jello.
Speaker 1: It's a real thing, and it's something that you and I and our super producer Casey Pegrin have talked about off air in the past, before we even started doing this show, which is amazing when you think about it, You and I and Casey and probably some of you friends and neighbors have a preoccupation, a morbid fascination with gelatine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. I mean, I have a very distinct memory from my childhood, and it was my mother really prided herself on doing these very elegant table settings, and she carried on this tradition from her mother, who always used to make a little side dish with the alarmingly odd name of gentleman's salad. What is this gentleman's salad? You might ask?
Speaker 1: What is this gentleman's salad?
Speaker 2: I thought you might ask. I'll tell you what it is. Ben is a thing that was very in all the rage of the highest of fashion in the fifties and sixties, mid century and beyond, fell out of fashion a closer to the late seventies the early eighties. But we'll get to that. But what gentleman salad is is a molded gelatinous I don't know if it's a dessert. It's not really served in the place of a dessert. It's sort of a pre meal thing like you'd eat a salad. But it's not a leafy green No, it's a weird little gelatinous mound of lime green stuff that's kind of full of nuts, chopped nuts and marshmallows, I want to say, and topped with a dollop of crim fresh or horseradish, oh, if you want to get spicy right exactly. And it's one of these things that as a kid, my mom insisted that I take a bite, even though I just it was just one of those things I just didn't trust. My little kid brain kind of recoiled at it. It didn't taste awful, the horseradish, but that was apparently I was missing out on the full impact of the dish. But this was a thing, and not just meat jella, but jello in general. Gelatin salads was a very easy way for home cooks to show kind of like opulence and class and elegance.
Speaker 1: And today, we often think of a salad as something with leafy greens, right, with fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, a little bit of cheese, and maybe some protein in the form of nuts or tun or whatever. But a salad essentially is only a mixture of different ingredients. So when we're saying gelatine salad, we are accurately describing this strange phenomenon of throwing everything and the kitchen sink into gelatine. And gelatin is a very strange thing when you think about it. We know that it's ancient, that traces of gelatin were found in ancient Egypt, and we generally in the West trace the use of gelatin as a food stuff to medieval England.
Speaker 2: That's right. I actually found a gelatin recipe from seventeen forty seven from a London cookbook, from an author by the name of Hannah Glass. And we'll go into a little bit more of the modern ways of making gelatin, but this is the old school way. I'm going to read this verbatim because it is delightful. So first, take out the great bones of four calves feet and put the feet into a pot with ten quarts of water, three ounces of horse shorn, three ounces of ling glass, a nutmeg quartered, four blades of mace. Then boil this till it comes to two quarts and strain it through a flannel bag. Let it stand twenty four hours. Then scrape all the fat from the top very clean. Then slice it and put to it the whites of six eggs beaten to froth. Boil it a little and strain it again through a flannel bag. Then run the jelly into little high glasses. You may add orange flower water or wine, and sugar and lemon if you please. But this is all fancy.
Speaker 1: As you can see. We are fans of collecting recipes from olden days, and we have found that the measurements get kind of iffy and ad hockey. But this is this is a real recipe. And if you have these calves, hoofs or some orange water. Was it orange water or sugar? It was orange flower water, orange flower water. If you have this, please feel free to make it. Please send us pictures. I know all three of us would love to see it. Nowadays we use the term jello synonymously with gelatin, but Jello is a name brand with a history of its own. The mix up here the conflation is similar to the way that people say google as a verb when they're referring to any Internet So.
Speaker 2: Like Kleenex for any kind of tissue.
Speaker 1: Or like xerox for copiers or gelatin itself brand names aside is a translucent, colorless and flavorless thing on its own, and you make it using collagen from various animal parts, as we saw in our recipe with calves hooves. It's not just used in food. It's commonly used as a gelling agent in food, but it's used in a bunch of non food applications as well, photography, vitamin capsules.
Speaker 2: Sure, and the way it's made today is obviously much more of an industrial process. And just to kind of give you the quick and dirty of how it's made today, it's made using largely washed pigskins that are then cleaned. I actually found a video online where it shows the process in reverse from a nice little gummy bear being popped into someone's mouth, backward to all the different steps of the manufacturing process until it ends up with a cute little piggy looking you in the eye. I think it was kind of designed to make you feel bad about eating gummies, but we're not here to tell you what to do. We are here to tell you how gelatin is made. So these cleaned pigskins are washed and then they are soaked and they're given an acid treatment, and the idea is to break down the tissues so that the collagen is kind of made into smaller chunks in these strands of gelatin that they call it gelatin noodles. In the manufacturing process, they thicken when they're cooled, and then various stages of hot water extraction is done, and it's done up to six or seven times, with the temperature of the water being raised for every step. And the earliest extractions are apparently the more powerful, or I guess they hold their shape better, and the subsequent extractions it becomes a little bit weaker.
Speaker 1: And one of the things that baffles us about this process is that most people growing up don't know the gelatine or your favorite flavor of jello does derive ultimately from these animal proteins. I think, you know, it's not quite on the level of Santa Claus spoiler alert everybody, but I think a lot of kids have no understanding of the origin of gelatin that we just walked through and today we're asking why jello and gelatin fiend food dishes became so prevalent for a time. It was a fat They rose and they fell, and you can find different cookbooks or different articles citing this rise. But we wanted to track down the answer. And I want to give a big shout out to Dan Myers over at the Daily Meal. In January of last year, he tackled this question about why there were so many gelatin based dishes in the nineteen fifties and the nineteen sixties. And you know, you and I have looked through these old recipes and it's true jello today is treated mainly as a dessert, but during that time period it would be the entire meal. You would have the sweet and the savory together in this mold. There's really no other way to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those molds themselves were staples of mid century kitchens and all kinds of shapes. But this goes way way farther back than the nineteen fifties and sixties, far back really to medieval England.
Speaker 1: And while while we're here in the medieval era in Western Europe, we need to add a we need to add another aspect to the story another aspect to the story gross, I'm proud of that one. So one of the one of the most important things about gelatine, aside from it being a luxurious food stuff, is that it was a pretty effective preserve. We have to remember that this was centuries before anything like refrigeration existed totally.
Speaker 2: And also not to mention an article from history dot com called Jiggle It The History of Geladin's Aspects and Jellies. The writer Nate Barksdale mentions the fact that, you know, we've talked about this in the Protestant Reformation and Butter episode. Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays, so there were late medieval cooks who came up with ways of making jelly out of fish, and that was like they would boil fish stock, even use the swim bladders and an eels were ways of making these meat jellies. And there was another fish jelly product called icing glass that was made using sturgeon. So this was a way of being able to preserve that food and also you know, not eat pig products.
Speaker 1: And jellied eels, by the way, are a traditional English dish that is still popular today. And I really want to try it. Have you ever tried jellied eals? Just on the off chance we didn't talk about Oh no, no, no, you're not into.
Speaker 2: It, not for me, thank you?
Speaker 1: Well, well, you know, let's put a pin in it. I don't want to pear pressure you, but you know, what is life if not to be lived my old friend.
Speaker 2: One more little story in Japan, even in the late sixteen hundreds, from the same hisstory dot com article, there was an innkeeper from Kyoto named Minoya Tarizoman who found some congealed soup, some fish soup that had been thrown away and discarded, and noticed that it was congealing. So that kind of became the inspiration for seaweed jellies that became quite popular throughout.
Speaker 1: Asia and remain popular today. So we're doing pretty well going chronologically here. Let's look at the first patent. The first patent for the manufacturer of gelatin arrives in seventeen fifty four in England and at the time kind of a novelty, but everybody knew about it. It's just now somebody got the rights to it and it took off, especially with the upper crust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, and it wasn't the patent that was going to really win the day for gelatin based products. That comes a little later, but we do have the introduction of kind of someone you could consider to be the world's first celebrity chef, a man by the name of Marie Antoine Karame, and in an NPR piece by Nicole Jankowski, she kind of describes how Karame really revolutionized the use of gelatin for these opulent culinary creations. He was actually born the sixteenth child of very very poor parents in Paris in the late seventeen hundreds, either seventeen eighty three or seventeen eighty four, and was abandoned by his parents during the most violent days of the French Revolution. Worked his way up from a kitchen boy to a apprentice of a well known pastry chef named Sylvan Bailey, and then found his way to having his own shop. And that was largely because he created these insane edible replicas of late eighteenth century buildings, some of the most famous buildings, things like the ancient ruins of Athens or Chinese fortresses and things like that, and they were quite tall and were displayed in the window of his bakery and he turned some heads, folks like Napoleon Bonaparte and French diplomats like Charles Maurice did telerand Paragord decided to employ him, and Paragord actually got him to make a full menu for his own personal estate. And it was later when his creations made it to Europe when the Prince Regent, George the fourth asked him to come over and prepare a menu for a party that he was having. You see, was a huge fan of aspic, and I've kind of been asking myself, like, what's different in aspec and gelatin in general. It turns out aspec specifically involves using like a meat broth, like it's called a consumme, and it typically is savory, so it can include things like vegetables or sliced beef or chicken or anything you could think of. And Krame coined this term chou freu, which was French for hot cold, and the idea was that parts of it would be cooked and then it would be served cold. But the whole idea was it was a big it was a show. It was a culinary display of that opulence that you talked about. This is not something that anyone could have. You had to have a whole staff to be able to prepare this thing. I mean it was a pretty serious, almost scientific process of straining and setting, and in a time before industrialization and refrigeration, it was a really big deal to be able to make this stuff. And it caught on in New York high society as well, and even Thomas Jeffer Senators Monticello Estate, was a huge fan of having wine gelatin served with meals.
Speaker 1: And that's a very interesting point there about the luxurious nature and the luxurious origin of this food stuff, of this application of food, because later we're going to see this change to a matter of convenience as well as status. We left off the story with Thomas Jefferson, Let's fast forward to eighteen forty five when we meet a fellow named Peter Cooper. Along with being the inventor of the first American built steam locomotive, Pete I'm gonna call him. Pete created a way to make gelatine more accessible to the masses by making it a powder. This is where we see another patent come into play. He called this stuff portable gelatine because all you had to do was to add hot water and Unfortunately, although it's sure caught on later, Pete did not have much success marketing it, and he didn't really pursue his invention. Occasionally he sold it to cooks, but he didn't commercialize it beyond that. He was actually more into powdered glue. Believe it or not.
Speaker 2: Why don't you think it caught on? It seemed like it was such a to do to make this stuff and for someone to be able to be like, hey, I got the quick fix right here for your gel cooking.
Speaker 1: Right. That's a good point and it's a great question. So let's go to Rochester, New York, a little town outside of there, in fact, called Leroy. This is where we meet a couple by the name of Pearl and may wait two at the time that we find them are running a not entirely successful cough syrup and laxative business.
Speaker 2: It's a good combo. They should make a combination cough syrup laxative from when you can't poop and you have a bit of a group that they can have that that can the tagline.
Speaker 1: It could be like that combination Pizza Hut and taco bell song. I think we just figured out their marketing for them.
Speaker 2: So what's the scoop, Ben, What did old pearl in May come up with?
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you asked, Noel, because fortunately for this episode, it wasn't all mediocre laxatiff business, especially because we're a family show. According to the Chemical Heritage Foundation, the Weight couple was looking around for something they could do differently right, a way to evolve their business into a more successful entity, and they obtained that earlier patent for powdered gelatin. They also encountered one of the big cons of gelatin at the time, which is that it was tasteless. It was just sort of like this translucent.
Speaker 2: Goop or you see a con. I see a blank slate rife for innovation, and luckily.
Speaker 1: They did too, because they realized that they could add syrups to this, and the gelatine, while it may not have a flavor of its own, is an excellent platform for other flavors. They blank slated it just as you said. They added sugar fruit syrups like raspberry, strawberry, lemon, orange. No word if it's orange flour, but orange that's close enough.
Speaker 2: Orange flour is so vague. What kind of flower are we talking?
Speaker 1: About I guess literally any flour that is orange rosewater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting too, Ben, because before the Weights came into the picture, your buddy Peter Cooper, he didn't just patent the gelatin. He patented a gelatin dessert mix of his own creation, which was a powdered mix with lemons, sugar, eggs, and various spices. But he just didn't have that marketing prow ass that was required to really sell this to the world. And there was a zeitgeist, the element to this stuff too, that we'll get into in just a second.
Speaker 1: For now, you're probably wondering, folks, where did this name jello come from? We'll tell you. So the Weight couple had this gelatin idea right, and that they flavored it, made it about eighty eight percent sugar, but they were overjoyed. Nobody was worried about the sugar content at that time. They were overjoyed because it tasted good. And may wait named this new favorite dessert jello. It's important combining the words gelatine and jelly, both of which derive from the Latin meaning to congeal or to freeze.
Speaker 2: And oh man, it's good.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's mine.
Speaker 1: I thought that was good. As for the O part, historians attribute it to just a naming trend. It was apparently very popular to add oh at the end of your product name.
Speaker 2: Whammo, there we go, bingo.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're on a roll tally ho which I give us that that last one is?
Speaker 2: I was old. Yeah, do you think of anything? No, you're right there, like Wizzo, like not only product names, but even like company names, right.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, Blinko, Rinko, et cetera probably had a futuristic vibe. Apparently, according to the Dictionary of Trade Origins, which is a real book, the practice began because adding oh seemed visually appealing. In addition, you could take a common word and easily modify it to make a trademark. An example would be graino, real thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, draino. That's a legacy one too. And it's cool too, because one thing that's neat about the jello thing I mean needs not the right word. But it's sort of like our buddy Edward Burnees who sort of figured out how to show the pork industry how they could sell this disgusting byproduct we now know as bacon and make it like the number one breakfast food in America. Gelatine was just a way of like using these discarded scraps and bits from the meat packing industry and turning it into something you could then sell back to the public. But the most important aspect of it that had been missing up to this point was that marketing win that Edward Burnees who is the godfather of advertising. That's sort of spin, yeah, exactly. So Pearl and May were great at making Jello, but they weren't super fantastic at selling it, and they didn't have the capital to push it out successfully in the market. And that's why on September eighth, in eighteen ninety nine, the couple sold the formula, patent and the name entire Jello, the entire brand of Jello to their neighbor, a man named Frank Woodward, who at the time was the owner of the Genesee Food Company, and they sold it for about what was it, four hundred and fifty dollars. Yeah, and with our handy dandy inflation calculator, that equates to roughly eleven grand by today's standards.
Speaker 1: So Woodward knew his business. He was already successful at selling packaged food and he took the techniques he learned and applied them to jello. He had his salesforce dressed in fancy suits and go around to houses offering free samples, right just like the bad kids do in every drug war PSA the first one's free. And they would do so many things to convince grocery store owners to stock shelves with boxes of this powdered gelatine jello. And they still had the original four flavors strawberry, raspberry, lemon, and orange. But it didn't succeed. Still, like three people have tried this now with you know, middling success.
Speaker 2: And a great article on Sirius Eats by Sarah Gray that kind of chronicles the history of the jello salad mentions a little book by the name of the Jungle by Upton Sinclair. It came out in nineteen oh six that essentially single handedly helped establish the Food and Drug Act, which created the FDA, the Food and Drug Administration that we know today. And it became a big deal for food to have labels and for things to be seen as safe and pure. And Jello really jumped all over that and started using terms like the safety bag and the repeated the word pure, according to this article, no less than three times, even adding it to like the company's slogan.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's take a closer look at Woodward here. So he's doing his best. He's got the expertise. It was around nineteen oh four when he and a new employee named William Hummelbaugh had a brilliant idea. They put ads for Jello in The Lady's Home Journal, a nationally syndicated magazine, and they featured smiling, fashionable homemakers in spotless white aprons, proclaiming that jello was quote America's favorite dessert, and along with the worries of safety that were also in the zeitgeist at the time, jello was propelled to the mainstream. Annual sales jumped to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars that would be around six a little over six million today, and kids were begging for the dessert because I'm sure, as you know, folks, if you can convince kids to want something, the parents will usually follow the lead. And as Noel said, the cookbooks began to take off. World War One did affect rationing, and after World War Two, Gelatin's success persisted, it became seen as a creative cooking tool, and at this point, finally, after numerous people had tried to market gelatine, it began to take off. And it took off in the craziest way. We found some weird examples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. A guy named Charles Knox who had his own I don't know. I look at it as sort of the utilitarian cousin of Jello. It was just the Knox Gelatin company, and just to pack it looks very much the same today as it did then, very little bells and whistles, no flavors. He took it to the World's Fair in nineteen oh four and had a competition where anyone could submit their own recipes using gelatin, and a woman who here in this Serious Eats articles only referred to as missus John Cook from Newcastle, Pennsylvania one third prize in the competition with a thing that she created called perfection salad. Not gentleman salad. Perfection salad. And I actually found a recipe for this thing. I'm gonna describe it to you. It is a mountain of molded orange, kind of foggy gelatin, filled with an assortment of shredded ruffage, and the recipe goes like this, two envelopes unflavored gelatine, a half cup sugar, one teaspoon salt, one can apple juice, a half cup lemon juice, two tablespoons vinegar, one cup shredded carrot, one cup sliced celery, one cup finally shredded cabbage, a half cup chopped green pepper, and one can chopped pimento. And it is if absolutely foul looking, but it caught on. People loved it. They wanted to be part of the jello wave of the future, and this really kind of created this demand. And another era we're using jello showed opulence because we were entering the time of refrigeration.
Speaker 1: As the United States enters this industrial boom, the world of two point five kids, a car in every garage, and endless suburbs, people wanted to keep up with the Joneses, and one of the best ways to do it was to have the latest appliance. Right is similar to microwave cooking. A little bit later in history, people wanted to have refrigerators and if you were bringing a jello salad to the pot luck or to the party, that I don't know, the kid's birthday party, the barbecue. It showed that you and your family had one of those new fangled refrigerators. And we cannot, we cannot overestimate Missus Cook's effect on the demand for jello.
Speaker 2: Food.
Speaker 1: Historian James Beard observed in his in his book American Cookery that Missus Cook's victory at the World's Fair unleashed a demand for congealed salads that, according to Beard, this is in nineteen seventy two. He says, this a demand for congealed salads that has grown alarmingly, particularly in the suburbs.
Speaker 2: Alarmingly the invasion of the jella mold. Yeah, he went on to as well, he did, he couched it. He went on to say, quote, the jellied salad does have its delights, though, and it is without question an American innovation, no doubt about it, mister Beard here here.
Speaker 1: So now we've set the stage. We've got knocks, we've got jello. We've got people nowadays arguing that you can follow American social history by looking at the history of jello.
Speaker 2: As I know, we haven't really talked about this much, but there was a whole kind of iconography associated with jello packaging. Some of the early ones used illustrations by Norman Rockwell, right. And then there was what was it ben the jello girl, sort of like a.
Speaker 1: Spokes thing, introduced in nineteen oh eight and instrumental, crucial in making American consumers connect the idea of jello with again the purity, the innocence of childhood. And although sales of sugar and you know, therefore jello were rationed during World War One, between the twenties and thirties, the popularity of gelatin salads soars and there were pragmatic reasons behind this. The depression forced homemakers to stretch ingredients as far as possible.
Speaker 2: That also included things like sugar that you would have separately, and many recues require you to add sugar. You didn't have to do that when you're using jello because the sugar was already part of the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a really good point. And so now we see not just the idea of refrigeration that comes into play later, but we also see the idea of status, of proving to your friends and neighbors that you can still do some top notch entertaining despite the rations despite the shortages. I've got a recipe for all of relish which I've been to save you the save you the trouble here, folks, it seems kind of gross. Olives, pickles, celery, and vinegar all in a lovely a lovely amalgamation with lime jello, right right, But now we see kind of a Bernesian if I could use that word, a Bernasian approach to marketing here, or an aspect of it, because we have to ask ourselves, did people genuinely like this stuff or did they instead like being people who could make it?
Speaker 2: Well. It's like I said, with my mom and the gentleman salad, her mom would have come from that original time where this was something that was seen as a status symbol, and she was all about these status symbols. That's where my mom got the whole idea of having a lovely table place setting. It was all very, very important during times where things were much more scarce to show that you were kind of above the fray. I guess I mean it seems a little, I don't know, a little shallow to me personally, but I can see how it would have felt important to kind of keep your spirits up and to make your family feel like you had you know, you were one of the halves, I guess. But of course, like things do, these kind of Jello salad aspect meat monstrosities fell out of favor, and Jello kind of took it was its original place as an easy to make dessert. You had Bill Cosby swooping in, you know, back when he wasn't persona non grata advertising Jello jigglers. Remember Jello jigglers. Sure for kids they used like a little cookie cutter and they were a little They used a little bit stiffer gelatine, I think, so you could pick them up and play with them.
Speaker 1: They wanted a gritty reboot. You're absolutely right. By the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties, the golden age of Jello had sort of passed, and that's why in nineteen eighty six they decided to rebrand. They got Bill Cosby, phenomenally successful comic at the time, and it was sort of the world made new because Americans were no longer as readily familiar with the concept of aspects. And if you had brought a perfection salad or a couple of other really choice gelatin dishes, that will probably read off at the end. If you brought those to a pot luck in the seventies or eighties, people would be like, what are you doing? I thought we were friends. Why can't you just tell me you don't like me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of like bringing someone a fruitcake for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we did do an episode in the Oldest Fruitcake. Remember that, I do.
Speaker 2: And it goes back to that that question you asked earlier, Ben, did people really like the way this stuff tasted? Or was it just like the placebo effect of kind of associating it with status and therefore you could choke it down. I like all kinds of stuff, Ben, I'm a relatively adventurous eater, but literally every single one of these things seems absolutely inedible and disgusting to me. And I don't think I could ever convince myself otherwise, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we also have to remember that that numerous folks in the audience wrote back about vinegar pie, and you were all absolutely correct. I'm kind of converted. Oh it sounds great, but I'm not gonna tell you what I'm not gonna try. Let's let's read off some of these gross recipes you want to for sure. All right, So emeralds candle lope is not that bad. You put lime, jello and canned pineapp on the candle.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: It fills the it, it fills the gap.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: There's another one with a melon. You can do that kind of You cut a half a melon and a half and you put jello in the in the hole and that you know, you can scoop it out, so it's sort of like double texture for your money.
Speaker 1: Tell you what though, salmon and cottage cheese with boiled eggs as a garnish. Nah, no, sir, no, I I've just thought it's a jellied lamb salad. No, it's a pass. I know we talked about lime jelly salads, but do we talk about lime cheese salad.
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: Do you want to skip that with it? Yeah? How do you?
Speaker 2: Oh? You know, I do have that that I think is a modern example of this actually working and for me personally, there is a place here in Atlanta called the Spotted Trotter that makes their own pataise, and a lot of patais will have a little layer of aspect on the top, so it's just like a small layer of like a ginger aspect, so that it's made with like a consume or a beef broth, but it's flavored with ginger. And when it's almost like a jelly or a chutney of some kind. So it's really good for like you know, mixing with a pet or putting on a piece of toast or something like that. It sort of mixes the savory with the sweet. But to me, it's when you really go full board down that you know, savory jello thing that's just just I like it, maybe as like a garnish or as an additive, but you know, all on its own. Oh boy, and the photography and some of these cookbooks, it's just like who gave the green light to that picture?
Speaker 1: You know. We invite you to check these out firsthand and send us some of your favorites. And favorite here is a tricky word. It can be the one that you were most fascinated by or the one you have actually tried. We of course, are not knocking anybody's personal taste.
Speaker 2: You can send us that stuff to ridiculous at HowStuffWorks dot com or hit us up on the social media the Facebook, the Instagram, where we are also Ridiculous History.
Speaker 1: As always, we'd like to thank our super producer Casey Pegram as well as author Maria Trimarchi, who wrote Ridiculous History. What's for Dinner Meet Jello available on howstufforks dot com.
Speaker 2: Also thanks to our pal Alex Williams for composing our theme, and most importantly, thanks to you guys for tuning in and hanging out with us for another episode of Ridiculous History. We'll see you next time. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows