Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft web Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome, welcome, Welcome to an episode of soft Rep Radio. I am your host, rad and I am super stoked to talk about my next guest. But first, I always want to do something a little different. Usually I shout out the credits after my show, but today I just want to give my producer Anton just the front and center. Thank you, Bro. I appreciate all you do to help make this go up everywhere, and I just go and tell people, you know, look up softw Rep Radio wherever podcasts are and that's because of you, Brough. So Anton, I want to give you a shout out. So when you listen to this, bro for me, Brandon and everybody here, thank you. And I also want to say thanks to Brandon Webb for always letting me have the mic all right. It's been years and years of working with you and I really appreciate it, and I trust that the guests enjoy having me here as well. So without further ado, I have the one and only Don Man, author Navy Seal former Navy Seal triathlete. I believe athlete. Is there a father figure in there somewhere.
Speaker 3: Probably he is a father.
Speaker 2: All of the titles right, And I just want to remind you your everyday neighbor is a father, is a coach, is a possible Navy Seal. It is just a dude next door to you who has a job like you, who is an extreme athlete, who likes to put themselves through Olympics style training, who liked to drownproof themselves. Tell me about that. Don tell me about drownproofing yourself and all the things that you've had to become this person today.
Speaker 3: Well, Rad, thanks for having me on your show, and it's good to meet you, and thanks for all you do. Yeah, you know, I was very fortunate because when I was a young guy, teenager, I only had one goal and that was to become a professional motocross racer. And that lifestyle it was wild. We were reckless, We did everything wrong, you know. But I trained hard to be a motorcycle racer, which meant I did that instead of anything else they should have been doing. I didn't do sports organized sports. I didn't study, I didn't go to school. I did everything else wrong. But I had this sense of patriotism in me like your father. My father instilled it into us when we were young guys, and my family, you know, a brother and two sisters. He instilled listen to us because when we were attacked, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, he and his brothers, his two brothers, and his sister all joined the military. And my grandparents had four stars on their front door. And every time there's a serviceman killed, or people killed in war, or something happened with the military, he'd say a prayer. And so I grew up with this great, great influence from my father. So I knew I had energy. I knew I wanted to do something exciting, maybe not as exciting as motorcycle racing, but hopefully as exciting as that. And I knew I wanted to serve our country. So when I found out about the Navy Seals, it was everything and more that I could have dreamt for. And if I hadn't found it, you know, my life wouldn't be much at all, I'm sure. And I loved finding out what the Seals were like. I liked finding out how hardcore these guys were in the training they did. And when I saw the video of them parachuting and diving and shooting and running on the beach and just doing all these calisthenics and drown proofing like you're saying, I was thinking, there's nothing else in the world I want to do than this. And I was right, because I've never found anything I would rather have done. And I've stayed in the Sealed community since nineteen eighty one till present, and it's for me. I was very, very fortunate to have found it.
Speaker 2: So you were still wearing like od greens in eighty one eighty two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Is that right? That legit stuff right there? Right? I could just see it. Who do you have jungle boots?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sure, yeah, jungle yeah.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, that's that's a that's a good look. You know, that's a that's a fashion you know with my I tell you there's okay. So in wargames, you know, I do these war games out here in Utah. There's a lot of different loadouts that everybody kind of gravitate to. And you have these reenactors and they're just like, you know, if they can get something from the you know, early days of the frog Man through you know, all the way to today's modern stylings. You should feel flattered. It's like a Kobe Bryant jersey. You just need the royalties.
Speaker 3: Well, boy, I might so have some at home. If I do, I can send you some.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, you know, oh, I would frame it and probably use it. Actually I would use it. I'd wear it some old alice gear or something.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah, I mean exactly. I still have some of my initial issue just for nostalgic purposes, you know.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, yeah, that's hot, the canteen and you know, oh yeah, that's good stuff. And it was just basically everything that all the other enlisted personnel we're getting. You were just getting it through like the Seals, right yeah, right, right right, you know. And then so when you were in that's Vietnam in the eighties, you know what was what was kicking off in the eighties for the Seals.
Speaker 3: So when I first came in, it was late seventies, but I was a corman and the Seals didn't care to have brand new corman in. So you had to spend some time either on a ship or with the marine Corps. So I chose the Marine Corps for the physical fitness aspect of it, and I really really enjoyed being with the Marines. And I was an athlete, and so the Marines they were happy to have me there. All they did they sent me all over the world of race in triathlons and marathons, mic races and all types of running races. So I was like a paid athlete with the Marines until I got my orders to go to BUDS in nineteen eighty two, which was probably one of the happiest days of my life. I finally got my orders to HUBS Basic Underwater Demolition Seal School. And in the four years it took to finally get those orders, I did a lot of visualization, you know, and I know that helped me out a great deal. I visualized how hard it would be to do all those calisthenics on the grinder and those long coal ocean swims and hell week without sleeping for a week. I visualized it, and I did a really good job at visualizing it, because every day in BUDS I never thought i'd quit. I never felt like quitting. But every day in BUDS i'd get home after a hard day, thinking, Wow, what a hard day, But it wasn't as hard as I visualized. I thought it would be much harder. I thought, hell week was going to be much harder. I thought, you know, these four mile ocean swims are going to be much harder. They were easier than how I have visualized it. So I became a true believer in visualization and BUDS wasn't easy at all, but every day it was easier than I thought it would be. So it ended up being an enjoyable experience for me. I enjoyed every bit it.
Speaker 2: No, I love it. I love it. I love the visuals visualization, you know. I also like, if I'm going into meetings, I will have multiple like conversations with myself about what conversations could happen and transpire inside of said meetings before I go in with these people. And then I go in there and it's like, Okay, what are you going a B or C in on me? You know? Yeah? Then and they go B and I'm like, oh, I've already visualized me talking to you about B, you know, So here we go and it's like I've already had that, Like like when I go to an audition, for a movie, and you just prepare and prepare and prepare, just to have that visualization so you can go into the audition without your paperwork. You got to just have that. I love it.
Speaker 3: It's just second time there. It's not you.
Speaker 2: First is exactly. You know. My wife and I we snowboard and yesterday she's like, let's go into the snowboard park, the terrain park where there's features in like little rails and boxes, and let's hit that one little rail because it's little. And let me tell you something, don it's not okay, but it looks little from the chair lift. When you get up to it, You're like, this thing could hit me in my head. You know, I could hurt myself. So what did we do? She's got the camera on and I'm thinking, okay, all right, it's filming me. I've got to do this. You know, she's almost called me out. I got to visualize it. As I'm going down the hill, I'm visualizing myself hitting this pipe and sliding it off and landing it. And what did I do. I came up to it. I hit the pipe first time ever, slid it off and landed it, and I was like, okay, visualization. Yeah, sir, Yeah, a believer. I'm a believer in it. I love that you live.
Speaker 3: Been the best place in the world for snowboarding.
Speaker 2: That's right here in Utah. Actually, after this podcast, I'm going up to go ride.
Speaker 3: Good for you, Good for I love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's beautiful. We have about five hundred inches still up there of a base on our mountains. So yeah, the last week last the season will end in about two weeks for us here, three weeks maybe in the middle of May, that's what. And snowboard ends in June, the first.
Speaker 3: Of June, and that's when the Great Mountain Bike Riding starts.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and they have that here. You can bring your bike in on the tram go up the hard part. Actually, I don't know. Down's pretty brutal too. If you're not ready for that, it's kind of top over dude. Yeah, yeah, it's legit now now with visualization that you're very empowering with your words. You wrote like motivational books and I think even wrote like the United States Navy Seal Survival Handbook of how to survive as a Navy Seal Elite warriors. There seems to be somebody who's always on a lot of the books with you that I noticed, and his name's Ralph Pazzulo, And I just want to kind of pull that out, you know, like, how does Ralph and you come together? You have the main dawn on there, right, and then you got Ralph on a lot of different books.
Speaker 3: Yep. So I'm working on book number twenty three rate now. I've we've published twenty two books, and I did about a third of them alone, and I did the other third with my buddy Ralph Pizzulu, and then the other third I did with two other co authors. I liked doing writing much much better with us a very good co author, because I don't really enjoy being behind a computer and typing up a lot. I like the thoughts, I liked the process. I just don't like typing it all up, you know. So Ralph. When I met Ralph, what a colorful guy he is. I mean, I called him up, actually call up this person. And his name was Thomas Sawyer, like Tom Sawyer, and he was the writer and the he was he was one of the producers for the TV show Murder. She wrote, He's a very talented guy. And I had this idea about putting together a book sort of like Forrest Gump, because Forrestcump, my mother had just passed away, and I was thinking about my mother, and I was thinking we had one movie in that we both loved, and that was Forrest Gump. And I loved the soundtrack to it, and I love the athleticism part of it, and she loved all types of parts in it. But I was thinking of Forst Gump. Then I started thinking, all that was it was a history lesson. Forrest Gump walked us through Johnson and Vietnam and Nixon and the Chinese Ping pong era and his girlfriend Jenny dying of the virus which was the aides.
Speaker 2: Segregation at the school. He was just like right there with the little girl trying to go to school. That's right, right, yeah, yeah, John Lennon.
Speaker 3: John Lennon, Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's all like leading in like show. I love that show. I love it. I love it, you know.
Speaker 3: And then I was thinking, so, you know, I spent time in the CIA. I was a seal, and I've been around the world for about fifty years with some really interesting experiences. I could probably do what they did with Forrest Gump. But instead of having a character that's fictional, maybe have have have a fictional Seal or Cia guy. But instead of having gone back in history, have him gone forward? What like his What could happen in Columbia or Venezuela or Russia or North Korea. So when I talked to Thomas Sawyer and I told him this idea, he said, don I love that idea. I said, I'm a writer, but I'm not talented enough to put together something like this. I would need a really good co author. And that's the first co author I ever had. And he introduced me to Ralph Pezzulu. And I talked to Ralph, who was working for Let's get Oliver Stone out in Hollywood, and he was kind of getting fed up with Oliver at the time, and he had some funny stories. But I told him my idea about this book, he said, and I live in Virginia. He said, don I love that idea. Let me come out and talk to So he came out that weekend. It was a Thursday. We had the phone call. He flew out on Friday, and we spent the weekend at my house in Virginia and we talked about the book, and we put it together and the publishers said, yeah, we like it, can you do it? Let's do a series, do part two. So that ended up going to eight eight part series. And then I learned more and more about Ralph and that he dated Madonna and he hung out with all these actors and actresses, and he went to a party with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Jack Nicholson and him and Mick Jagger just sitting on the couch talking about books, and he had all and he had all these great stories. And Ralph and I became very very close friends. And that book we wrote. We also got a publisher calling us, hey, don I want you to write a book about you being the Advanced Training Officer at Seal Team six, which is what I was when I retired. I said, no, you're not going to like that book because I can't say anything really that you're going to be of any interest in. I have my top secret Clarence. Yet I'm not going to talk about anything i'm not supposed to. They said, we're offering you six digits. I said, doesn't matter. I don't have the option. I can't turn my back when you leave that command. You shut the gate, and the gate is closed, and you leave the secrets back.
Speaker 2: There and it goes with you. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And the publisher was saying, down, a lot of people are starting to talk and they're making a lot of money, and you're not. You were the training officer when Ben Lauden was well. When I left the team, they killed Bin Laden. Rob O'Neil killed Bin Lauden, and as a training officer of that team. And she said, your book's worth a lot. Said I can't do it. I can't do it. Finally, after saying this to two publishers, the third publisher said, all we want is your bio. Don't say anything you think's classified, and send it to the publication review board to make sure it's cleared. I said, my sports bio is going to be boring a lot of people have done what I've done, and my military bio is going to be boring because now the guys are at war and I wasn't at war when I left the teams. When I retire, but they liked the story, and that was the book that went to first best time, you know, New York Times bestseller I've had, So it worked out.
Speaker 2: Is that with the Hunt series. That's what it is, Hunt the Wolf and Hunt the Scorpion or Hunt the Falcon is what.
Speaker 3: Was the fictional one that was based off for Forrest Gump, And the other one that the publisher wanted me to give my bio was called inside Seal Team six.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's yeah, I have that right here insights. Yes, yes, it's totally cool too, by the way. Yeah, and a lot of people may think Seal Team six is like six six people, you know.
Speaker 3: They would be wrong.
Speaker 2: It's more like six hundred.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what happened. When I first came in, there was Seal Team one, Seal Team two. There were two underwater demolition teams on the East coast and two on the West coast. And then Marsenko created this undercover long haired we had beards, long hair, ear rings. You could never tell Seal Team six guys are in the military, but that's how they were supposed to look, you know, And even us guys at Seal Teams one and two, we always wondered what they were. Nobody talked about Seal Team six then, but we knew they were around, but they were so secretive. You never heard anything, and I remember once looking out my windows, guys were saying, hey, those guys are Seal Team six. We couldn't even believe we're seeing guys from Seal Team six. And so Seal Team one had the West Coast obligation and responsibility, so if anything happened on the west side of the world, the West coast side of the world, Seal Team one reacted, and Seal Team two covered the East side of the world. Well, Seal Team six had worldwide responsibility and they had to pack up the bags, get on a plane, wheels up in that plane within four hours of any terrorist act. So they were much much busier than anybody was at the time. And the reason it was called six, I guess, to get back to your question, there was a Seal Team more in a Seal Team two, and then Marcinko named it Seal Team six just to confuse the Russians, thinking, oh boy, there's probably a three, four and a five somewhere that there wasn't. You know, now there is, But back when he created it nineteen eighty, there wasn't anything but a Seal Team one, a Seal Team two, and a Seal Team six along with the underwater demolition teams.
Speaker 2: That's that's awesome story, by the way, right, the Seal Team six being created just to throw off the thought process, right, just using that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was a maritime counter terrorist organization, so the big Navy, big Army didn't want that. They said, We're already have a Delta Force. Charlie Beckworth created Delta Force. Delta Force is Army's hardcore, you know, tier one organization. Yeah, and Marcinko and the people started were saying, well, we don't have one. We have all the seals, which are all really top notch, but we need a Tier one unit, which is pretty much unlimited funding. And they're like the break glass in case of war anything the president needs. You have Seal Team six a Delta Force right there.
Speaker 2: And that's what it was in six. With dev Grew is it's the same, right, they're the development group there, so really it's like the trial and error equipment for other teams and whatnot. What would we could you talk a little bit about dev grew Seal Team six?
Speaker 3: Sure a few years ago I would have had to say, no, I don't have any comment on it, and I even feel funny talking about it.
Speaker 2: Now with respect. Yeah, whatever you want, you know, no.
Speaker 3: But thanks, But really, dev group or is Naval special Warfare development group. It's a It worked for calling the team dev group instead of six because you do see these guys who look like civilians and they're shooting weapons, they're parachuting, you know, they have all this dive gear, they have all these optics. So testing gear made sense to say that's what these guys do. Development A DEV group, the development group, These guys test gear because a lot of places you don't want to go in and say you're Seal Team six. So it worked out really well for that, and and and that it was kind of a cover that got blown early on. But now both terms are used kind of together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just heard it loosely out there. I was just wondering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's actually if you hear people say Seal Team six, there are older guys like me, you know, when it first started. Because the term's kind of been they're trying to keep it dev group.
Speaker 2: I see now, I see I.
Speaker 3: Like six better, of course.
Speaker 2: But you did mention that you were transitioning out, you know, because I mean you're an eighties chot. You were in at the seven eighties, nineties, two thousands, nine eleven happens, right, and you're full on Navy seal You're full on at what rink in two thousand and one?
Speaker 3: Okay, So yeah, tell me how are you. I came in in seventy seven, which I always felt guilty because I came in after Vietnam. I was positive i'd be in Vietnam. I wanted to go. I wanted Now looking back knowing it was a mistake, you know, yeah, I get you, well, we lost fifty eight thousand people. I just felt I should be there fighting for my country, regardless history shows it was a mistake, which I hate that we lost all those people. Now I look at it differently. But and then, you know, we came up to ninety eight. I was getting bored in the seal teams because we weren't at war and we were chasing down bin Laden trying to find them, but it was all dry holes. We never found them. And so I retired after twenty one years and then went right to work for the CIA. And then I was going all the hotspots, you know, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, yame in all these places. Nothing nice and and then we got hit on nine to eleven, and then we were going after bin Luden too, you know, the agency and and then so I almost saw more action in the agency than in the teams. But it was a nice combination, having twenty plus years of both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I trusted dude in the position. That's you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, it was. There's nothing I would rather have done. It's just really you know, I don't want to say pleasant, enjoyable, but I just liked the culture. I liked when I got out of the teams, you know, and the guys in the agency with me were all X team guys or Special Forces or delta.
Speaker 2: Fulfilling is the word. You know.
Speaker 3: It just felt like you were doing something good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, fulfiller. And you were the one because like someone had to be that guy, someone had to take on the burden of your job, details and all that stuff that you have to know about. You know, it was you. You know, it wasn't me. It was you, And so thank you.
Speaker 3: Taking deep breath, Thanks thanks, And you know I worry now because you know, I you know, I just knew I had to support our country. I just have it in my heart. I mean, the country's in trouble. You got to be there for it. It bothers me now a great deal that people don't see that anymore as much as they did when I was growing up. You know, people, it's well, the recruitment, the recruitment numbers say that out loud. We can't get people in the military now. And the ones we can get in a lot of them aren't physically fit. A lot of them are overweight or not in shape. And we're failing badly on all the numbers trying to get into the military. Now, there was a brief you know, the Marines were doing better than anybody at one point. And then when the latest Top Gun movie came out Maverick, I think it was called that boosted up the sales. I mean the recruitment numbers of the Navy. But the army's really low, and recruitment's really low, and I you know, the big military says it's because of COVID. I don't believe that. I think it started with Benghazi on how you know, we had President Trump saying, you touch one hair on any American's head, all hell is coming down on you. And our terrorist groups were scared to death of Trump, and he had a plan a slow withdrawal. We're going to keep and we're going to keep the airstrip there, Bargain Airfield. We had air support if we needed it. And then Biden made this promise, I'm going to end the war, and he did, but he just pulled everybody out. He gave everybody our weapons which are being used against us.
Speaker 2: Now with that said, I just remember the other day General Millie was in front of Congress or whatnot, and he was being you know, asked about the equipment, right, and he said that the person on the ground in charge over there made sure that all American equipment was either destroyed or but what they got was the equipment that was given to, you know, the Afghan Army. So that was not it was it may have been American made, but it was already Afghan Army equipment. And so that's the equipment that they're mostly referencing. I think because Milly just came out the other day and talked about that in a deposition, and then also to give a little bit of a benefit to, you know, to Biden, the president Biden is Donald Trump did sign the agreement like December twenty second of pulling out of Afghanistan and even invited the Taliban to like Camp David and too like the White House, right, like holy cal Like I don't know what that was thought process, right, but to kind of just put it in perspective, I get it one hundred percent. You know, I had friends who were like going over there to try to get friends out of there, you know, and things like that. It was I think that was more of of the blender that was happening. Is like, what about our allies that were like, you know, translators and people that helped us, that were promised that they'd be taken care of. Where are those promises being kept for them? Right? And I think I just have to I just want to put it in perspective because it takes two to party at this situation. And I know that Trump was out going out from the election, and he signed that in December to say we're out if.
Speaker 3: You recall yep, and he had a timeline and the timeline was working. We didn't lose one person. We didn't lose a person, right, And then you know, now the interpreters, translators who helped us that we left back there, we're getting reports they're going door to door finding these guys and ladies and cutting out their tongues. I mean, you don't hear that on our news, but that they they don't. We we have short memory span here in the US, but they don't. They don't. Those people helped the enemy, they helped the Infidel, and they were left behind. They don't protection anymore. They're going door to door slicing up their tongues.
Speaker 2: And they just came out saying that they're going to stone women, you know. And the Taliban Cambat came back out and said, you know this is going to happen. You're going to understand that and this, that and the other. You better obey all the laws that they want in place over there. It's it's it's it's so cowboy, you know, it's so wild West over there. You know, it's it's there's no real You got one faction that doesn't even recognize the word Afghanistan and they live there. You got another faction that recognizes the word Afghanistan because it's a word that they understand. And you've got all these different you know, tribes and people who don't even they just want to heard their animals and like live their life in this rough land.
Speaker 3: You know that's true, because that's how I see it in all those countries everywhere, Hamas, Israel, Russia, Yemen, Somalia, you know, Ukraine. Kids, the kids they're just innocent. The mothers really just want to take care of them. However, the enemy. And I've heard this from the guy who personally cut off Daniel Pearl's head, and he's also the guy who worked with Bin Laden and bombed us on nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's the New York Times reporter that you're talking about or the Washington Post. Right, Daniel Pearl, yes, right? Who was.
Speaker 3: So Khalid Sheikh Muhammad we call it kasm. He was captured and he admitted to you know, destroying the buildings and hitting us on nine to eleven Kosm. We had him in captivity and and the doctor who was interviewing him, and this I'm not giving away a secret right now because this is all open source now. And the doctor's a very good friend of mine. And he was interviewing him and he was saying, so why women and children they're innocent? That how could you you hit us at nine to eleven? Kill three thousand people. I mean, don't you feel a lot of those people were Muslims. Don't you feel bad about killing the Muslims? KSM smiled. He said, no, no, if we can kill many Infidel and some Muslims get killed along the way, that's okay with us. That's okay with Allah, That's okay with us. And then the doctor I won't say his name, but he's a very best human being you could imagine, you know, a patriot. You know, they call him the torture doctor on the left. But he stopped we think the agency feels he stopped two hundred lives from being lost from interviews and interrogations. He's done with KSM alone. So KSM like smiled. And then he said. The doctor said, well, what about the women you're killing? I mean, these are young girls and women. KSM smile. He goes, no, no, they support the Infidel. We kill them early. They don't support the Infidel. So what about all these little kids, boys and girls running around so they grew up. They either support the Infidel or they're the Infidel who's our enemy. We kill them too. And he smiled. And then the subject turned about assassinations and beheading people and then KSM said, it was like when I killed Daniel Pearl and everyone, and this is before we knew who killed them. Everyone looked at him, like, you killed Daniel Pearl. He said, oh yeah. So the doctor runs over to the computer writes back to DC headquarters, said KSM just submitted to killing Daniel Pearl. They said, well, ask him how he did it, because we have some photos of just his arm and everything. Have him do that movement, the movement as if we had the knife, and they sent the pictures back. And then the doctor said, was it hard to kill him and kiss him? Smile his no, no, no, I cut through the arteries. It was messy when I cut those voice boxes, scream and started. It was only hard getting through his spine. And he said, oh, you can't even tell if he is joking or if he's a play on words. Was it hard to do it? So that's the enemy, And that's the enemy who's going around going door to door cutting the tongues out of people. But that's also the enemy that promised Trump we won't touch a hair, and anybody said, as we know, all hell will come down on us because of what you just told us. They were scared to death with Biden. They know there's you know, it's the words mean nothing. And when that day happened, I believe that's what happened with our recruiting efforts. When people saw that the military just just being left left there and being killed, thirteen of them, I think it was that day they were killed and then leaving all the people who supported us. We've never done that to anybody before. We We've always had to leave no man behind. And we that just just for a political promise, that deal, that that promise was broken. To anybody who's worked with the American troops or were American troops. We just got on the planes and left out of there. And the billions of dollars we left no those those those have been fined in swap meets all over the Middle East selling to the enemy.
Speaker 2: And I would imagine there's I would imagine, you know, it's there was a twenty some year war in Afghanistan where you know, it was back and forth. So I bet a lot of equipment does show up on you know, that black one.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the new equipment we just purchased for him. And if they when they added it all up everything, the air support, everything that we gave them. It would have been the sixth largest military in the world. They could have formed with it that we gave to him.
Speaker 2: Well, do you mean like the talent that the that the Northern Alliance and that the Afghan Army already was given already, Right, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Was we just left a lot of a brand new stone.
Speaker 2: Well, Bargram Air Base was Russian. Right, it wasn't even an American base. It was a Russian base. Right, we had control of Bargain. I've been there many times. Right, No, and I'm not doubting that, but I'm saying that in in in monopoly world, it was Russian and the Americans took it over to mobilize. So it's not like we invested in that tarmac kind of you know, but not really. It was already a building that it was already some structures where there was like Russian building still, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was old, but it was a we had air base in the Middle East. Yeah, big money for they allowed us. They they they were happy, they didn't mind that we were there. We had our air support, so we could we could have overhead support for any of the troops on the ground, and that was those people were pulled out before the troops on the ground were pulled out. And that was a big military mistake.
Speaker 2: And Mili, it was just a lot, It was just a lot. It was just a mistake to even agree to pull out, you know in the beginning. You know, I mean, you know, if former President Trump wants to you know, sign agreements, because he's literally he has to give the playbook to the new guy, and he wouldn't even do that. So he's still drafting plays in the playbook that we're supposed to go to the new guy. But the new guy couldn't even get the playbook. So it's like he's just signing away stuff and just leaving it in this mess, which he even is recorded saying, I want to leave as much as I can for Biden to deal with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did say that, But it wasn't like a playbook do D Department of Defense. Yeah, yeah, I had the playbook, and you know, I know, Biden turned everything around that Trump put. He turned all all around the border, everything he stopped and reversed course, but for the DoD, for the military. When he tried to reverse course there you have four stars and three stars fighting it. But they are still like correct what you just said. They are like the commander in charge Biden can say stop, go a different direction. But the d D put together the playboar if they had it all right.
Speaker 2: And there was a general I interviewed once and he was transitioning George Bush to Barack Obama. And he was in the middle of the two different you know, one Republican side, one Democrat. But he was the general that was transitioning and he said, you know, it was really like they wrote everything out like these are the most thirty important topics that the president needs to have in his lap, right, And he was the guy that was giving that to Barack Obama. And I said, how did you manage that transition from Bush? He's like, well, we already knew that Bush wasn't going to be president, so we had this document, this playbook kind of thing put together, and then I had to get that to the new administration so they knew these are what is super important, sir. And I said, how did you maintain the sir aspect of transitioning? He said, rad when we sit down as the military at the Pentagon, it says US Marines, US Army, US Navy, US Air Force. So we understand what we're in it for. We're not in it for that, you know, politician style rhetoric. Whatever. So he was like because he transitioned from one to the other and stayed in a position and continued on and was very successful three star general. And you know, I just that's what I thought would have been. Also, that's kind of what should have happened, right, it should have been this transition like these are really important. You should focus on this. Congratulations on the job. But it was very much back and forth. We've lived through what's still ongoing with that former administration.
Speaker 3: It is, and you know, and I don't want to just pick on one president over the other, but I can't say, you know, we've been together as a country for over two hundred and fifty years, right, I mean, I would say the first two hundred years we were doing pretty well. But Republican and Democrat go back and forth, back and forth, doesn't matter. You know, my favorite, the president I look up to the most since I've been alive, is Ronald Reagan. But regardless of that, Republican Democrat, Reagan, Carter Clinton, Obama, Bush, Bush, whoever you pick. Since Vietnam, I'm very, very disappointed and these big policy blenders we've been making because we talked about Vietnam early on. You know, we lost fIF over fifty eight thousand people in ten years, we walk out and we lose the war, like, oh, I guess we made a mistake there. But then you know, we've done it since then numerous times we didn't have understand We did it in Iraq. Now we've been putting all this money in Ukraine and another bill was just passed and now we're going to keep that war going. They are just getting slaughtered.
Speaker 2: But do you think.
Speaker 3: They've lost the war? They've lost months ago and there's no way they can win it. The Russians have all this equipment and AMMO and artillery that they're producing twenty four hours around the clock. They have a five to one ratio of people waiting to go to war. They're having people going men forties and fifties year old paying for their own cardiac care or their own prosthetic care so they can go back and fight the war. The level of patriotism is sky high and.
Speaker 2: The same Let me let me ask you something, since they just got their relief aid passed through, right, it just went through. But for like the last six months when it was supposed to really matter, it was being blocked in. You know, these politicians were blocking it for whatever reasons. They were just damming up the process of getting this money to aid Ukraine. But yet here it is, they gave the money to aid Ukraine. So why didn't they just give it in the first place, because they waited six.
Speaker 3: Months, yeah, and got nothing out of it, nothing politicized. But the sixty one billion that's going to Ukraine, the estimates are a third to two thirds won't make it there. It'll make it to Lockheed, you know, general you know, maythe on the big companies here, so a lot of them go to produce weapons here and go right back into our you know, money cycle here. And then when it gets to Ukraine, which is the most corrupted country in Europe, everybody knows that it really doesn't make it out to the troops at all. And then speaking of the troops, those that battlefront there, if you call it a battle line anymore, it is so broken up and that they can't get me to fight anymore. So they just passed the loss so they can go throughout Europe trying to find the Ukrainians who left the country, and then dragging him back to Ukraine and said, you've got to fight for our country. They're putting battalions of women up front now because they don't have the men, and Russia is just long lines of people wanting to go.
Speaker 2: I just this is I don't doubt that there's women fighting, and I don't doubt that. And I just talked to a gentleman who was in the trenches and he was taking you know, story and article documentation for like Esquire magazine, and he's a former marine recon and he's you know, probably in his thirties forties now, but he was talking to the twenty year old saying, hey, how'd you get your discipline? How did you how did you learn how to hold your weapon? You know, because he says, like the fifty year old guy learned old Russian tactics. Now he's the older guy that's fighting in this Ukrainian Russian war, but he wanted to know about these younger kids that are in there, you know, with this capability. And he watched this kid, he said he was just slip in his rifle correctly. He just had his hand away. He was holding it and he's like, how'd you learn that? And he's like, oh, I don't know. He's like, no, there's got to be more to it. How He's like video games. He's like, I played a little video games. He's like no. He's like, do you play war games with airsoft guns? He's like yes. So before the war, before twenty twelve and like twenty sixteen, all these timeframes, you know, they weren't really at war, so they were playing airsoft all the time. And so all these young kids had all this like you know, games on the weekend that they were playing. And so here he is now taking whatever training that that helped instill in him, and he's in the trenches and he's getting a story written about him, and that's in the story, you know. And so I know they're fighting, they don't seem like they think they're losing. Maybe that's just a morale boost, you know. Maybe what the Ukrainian fighter is feeling is like, you know, from what I've talked to, is a sense of pride about what they're standing up for. And maybe they're not getting the full scoop from the trenches. You know, maybe they're just like, this is what we're here for. I'm here because my budd's fighting and his buddy's fighting, and we're fighting together in these trenches, right because you know, they just think they're doing the right thing for their country. The other guy thinks he's doing the right thing for his country. These ground level infantrymen who are just being ordered to go to battle are just feeling like, this is what I'm supposed to do. It's these high top puppet masters up here right. Metallica writes songs about you know, it's the puppet masters that are are the problem, Like that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if you if anyone goes and looks at the numbers, then I mean the Ukrainians they have. The numbers are up over six hundred thousand who have been killed and wounded right now we're talk Vietnam fifty eight thousand. They've lost ten times out over ten times that the Russians can again five to one ratio as far as fighters they have, plus the developing their own amor and they have a long line of people who want to fight. Ukrainians can't get people to fight anymore. So many of them are wounded. It's hard to find men in Ukraine anymore. Now Kiv is doing fine. Selensky was so happy he got his money. But that the experts. When you hear except for General Jack Keene, but when you hear other leaders in the world, world historians, other generals, leaders from around the world, they all say the same thing. Ukraine lost a long time ago, and that's sixty one billion dollars. Whatever gets to the fighters after it goes to this corrupt country and they hand out some to some of the military and some to Selenski and some to ray theon the money gets divided up. They don't know what that money's going to do at all. They don't have anything they can put it toward that's going to help other than more and more Ukrainians are going to be slaughtered and killed.
Speaker 2: Ask you who's who's more corrupt in this situation, Russia or Ukraine.
Speaker 3: They say, Russia is the second most corrupt country in Europe after Ukraine. Yeah, oh yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Really. I didn't I never I have not heard that. I mean I maybe heard it in like I don't know, maybe I never paid attention to you know, uh it But I've talked to so many folks. I never I don't they don't put it in perspective. This is the first time I've heard this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Ukraine's always been known to be the most corrupt country there. But the thing is that was.
Speaker 2: The bread basket of the world as what yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that it is and in Russia too, but Ukraine probably more so. But the thing with Ukraine is when they were attacked by Russia, all of us were in support of Ukraine. I mean, in Russia do this up until alternative news got bigger and bigger, the networks that aren't protected and guardrailed against being able to say other sources of news coming in. And that's why the rest of the world is questioning what we've been hearing all these years. So, you know, twenty fourteen, of course, that's when the war really started there. Okay, here's an example. If somebody said to President Biden, Hey, President Biden, we're just going to put fifty thousand folks on your Mexican border. You don't mind, do you? Russian troops? It's no way we would allow that. We did not allow. That happened during Cuban missile crisis. You know sixty three. You can't have the enemy's troops on your border. So when the Soviet Union broke apart in nineteen ninety one, State Department, your State Department shook hands with was which was once the Soviet Union. Now all those countries dismantled. Now all that's left is Russia. And they said, I'll tell you why you let us put Germany back together. Let's tear it down that wall. Well, reunite Germany and all those fourteen fifteen countries that make up the Soviet Union that are no longer Soviet Union. We won't try to get them into NATO. We won't come one inch closer to your border. Well, we've lied, We've taken fourteen of those countries, made fourteen of them NATO. So Pultan, who's run the country for twenty five years now, he's just saying, you can't keep doing that. You can't keep doing it. But no matter what, you're not taking Ukraine that's got that thousand mile border, whatever it is, you're not coming on my border. And we went on the fast track trying to get Ukraine into NATO.
Speaker 2: And we have the Nucular Profilation Agreement. Though was the Ukraine dissolves its nuclear arms which it had, and it would be recognized as its sovereign country by Russia. Was it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did turn into nuclear weapons, right. I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing in the long run, but.
Speaker 2: Well, they wanted to be a sovereign nation, you know. I mean, look at Zelensky. He was an actor like Reagan. You like Reagan and Zelensky. Look, Zelensky was also an actor, and he was just thrust it into a green sweater combat wearing we.
Speaker 3: Can do we we the US. We needed a guy who would be yes, we'll do whatever you want. We needed a yes man in there. Selensky he very very popular guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that we're not involved in putting other interim governments in You know, my father was a Green Beret and they are mobile politicians. Okay, so I'm not against those ideas. I just am saying this is what i've You know, you've you've probably heard what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, sure, And and you know when Selensky came in to tell you the truth when we when Russia invaded Ukraine, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Shut down the airliner, right, They shot down the civilian airliner.
Speaker 3: True, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. They did some horrific things. But when Selensky came in and he was attacked by Putin, the world was all forced Selensky. The world was all formed, like we got to run to his aid. And I say the world, I mean mainly US and NATO, okay, European Unions, nations. Uh so yeah, we all back in the one. And then you know, then the corruption and all the issue that starts emerging a little bit. We all knew way before that it was the most corrupt country in Europe. Some people say the world. I heard it compared to Mexico. I didn't know Mexico was that corrupt, but I heard it recently that it's as corrupt or more corrupt than Mexico. But anyways, regardless, countries are corrupt, and they can say we're corrupt too.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, right, right right, I mean, but.
Speaker 3: Anyways, when Selensky came in, uh, he came in to try to end corruption. That was part of his campaign, I will end the corruption here. And when he didn't, people start going against him a bit, you know, a bit. But right now Putin the world is back in putin right now on this because he's not attacking civilian populations kind of like Israel's doing in Hamas. He's not doing that. He's saying, Hey, I told you guys for years, you can't bring NATO forces into Ukraine. You can't be on my doorstep. Keep Ukraine neutral. That's all I'm asking.
Speaker 2: But who's he to say that? He's not the emperor, he's not that, he doesn't run the empire. He's just a little man with a complex. Who's he to say? Who is he to say that, don't come into the Ukraine when it's not even his.
Speaker 3: Well, if you turn it and look at Canada or the Mexican border, yea, and China's going to go on both borders. We would do our best to stop that too. And if he was going to go on the border, even though we don't say you, but we would not run.
Speaker 2: But it's not it's it's not like okay, so true, true, true kay. Us would not like that. Okay, However, that has to be like Mexico doing that, right, because Russia would it have to be like Mexico coming to take Utah back.
Speaker 3: Well, if Mexico sided with Russia or Mexico, which we which.
Speaker 2: We took from Mexico, and so Mexico's could now Mexico's president can say he's the emperor and he wants his empire back in that regard.
Speaker 3: And if we allowed that, we could be without a country.
Speaker 2: And then I would be an insurgent. I mean, that's what I would be called.
Speaker 3: But that's because that's how the whole world has been working since one tell you it works, fire truck, bro.
Speaker 2: I'm just I want I just want a snowboard and hang out and surf and just like you know, know that I am ready to box.
Speaker 3: You know, right, I I I am definitely not like what you might think. I mean, my heart breaks for the American Native Indians still what we did to them. I mean it really really does. I mean when I see what we did to them, it breaks my heart. It was so wrong. And every aspect of the world, yes, and but you know, and it's it's to me, our biggest, biggest error we've ever made is people as Americans. You know, what became Americans is what we did to Native Americans. But then again, every country, every border of every country's man made. And this is how this is how it's all done. It's not to say it's.
Speaker 2: Right right, otherwise Russia wuld go right back to Mongolia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Russia, Russia right now, all this saying we've we've ripped up the peace deal that Putin's been trying to have us sign. He wants peace with us, and we keep saying, nope, We're going to let these Ukrainians die. We're going to put them on the front lines because Americans don't really care if Ukrainians die. Nobody really cares. You don't see anybody anybody saying all these poor Ukrainians dying, You don't. And six hundred thousand of them have died because we keep pouring this money in Ukraine. So Ukraine will weaken our enemy is the reasonable, well.
Speaker 2: And someone who's a Seal advanced trainer and understands what these young men which are who coming through, these twenty year old, thirty year old guys are going off to do more than anyone is what you know, right, And so you know we have the number one military, the number one you know, special operations community in the world, hands down and that and these young men, you've looked them in the eyes, they've crossed your path on their way out to other destinations that you know they're just going to be asked to go and take care of. And and for you to have been so involved in that Rubik's Cube of naval special warfare for so many years, it's just such a great honor to have a back and forth conversation with you where we can show others that you don't have to know each other to have a candid, casual, respectful conversation with one another. We can still break bread, we can still have conversations. We don't have to beat each other's throats. You don't have to waive a flag. You have to wave one flag, and that's just the American flag, okay. And and you know, you don't have to tell anybody who you want to vote for. You can just go vote and you should. And I just encourage that. And I also encourage people just go to the recruiter and talk to one and see if they can step into a career in the military, because you know, the seals, like the Green Berets are one for every hundred will make it, you know, so if they don't, you still need to be there to support them because they're badass and they need that. So I think you're a badass and I just want to say that to you. Don like just like that, dude.
Speaker 3: You know, I appreciate that. Rad thank you, and I really appreciate all you do as well. But you know, I like what RFK Junior said. And he was talked to, he was asking he was being asked the same issue. He just brought up, like, it's great when people can talk. It's great, like people have different opinions, can talk. And because this culture we have now is, oh, don't bring up politics, don't talk about something going your safe zone if it's going to bother you or something. I mean, it's kind of a strange thing. And RFK Jr. Was asked that and I loved his answer, and he said, well, listen, I've got one hundred and fifteen people in my family and a lot of my relatives are strongly, strongly opposed my views, my political views, and some of them oppose it so much they go on the network on TV channels and they bad mouthed me. But my uncle and my father RFK and John FK John F. Kennedy, they always told us when you can't talk and you stop talk, and that's worse, learn to talk to one another. Just learn to talk to one another at Thanksgiving. We have different views from different sides of the table, but we can all talk about it. And I just like, I just wish we were a long ways from that in this country as we know.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully we could bring it full circle. Hopefully it's our conversation right now. That is the missing puzzle piece to everything. Just to be copasetic and kumbayab. But if it's not, you know, I'm okay with being up trained, you know, whether it's taking boxing classes or learning how to be a better marksman with my rifle or whatever the case is, better to be uptrained so I don't have to use it. To be humble about.
Speaker 3: It, yeah yeah, you know, and not to sound like some radical craze not thinking the world's going to end, because I'm not that. But I do strongly feel you know, we did drop the bomb twice, you know, and we ended the war in Japan, and maybe it saved a lot of lives. The thinking right now, but right now we have nine countries with nuclear weapons, ten thousand nuclear weapons now in this world, all pointing toward one another. We have a bunch of those NATO that used to be the part of the Union European Union, and now we have them there, and we also have them in the former war pack countries, and we have them facing Russia, they have them facing us, and everybody's on edge. Everybody's on edge. And so to your point, I think this is the time to talk more because in the big picture, this is the most dangerous day in the history of the world, and tomorrow is going to be more dangerous. And the people who are at those levels and who have they're in position to talk to their counters and other countries and even in our own country, different sides of the aisle. It's the time to do it more now than ever before, because we are who you know, israel I ran one fatal mistake there.
Speaker 2: You know it already is it's already, It confuses lit.
Speaker 3: It is, it's and it's slid all over the world. North Korea can't wait to jump in. Iran trying to stay out of the war because they have too much lose. Russia doesn't want that war either. They Russia, China and Iran have too much to lose if they regional war because there's money to be made with the oil and everybody needs the oil regardless.
Speaker 2: Of and they have the most. They have one of the biggest oil reserves in the world in Iran.
Speaker 3: To us, which we don't touch.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't even know. I don't even want that conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I just got to drive to work, that's all I know. I am an American, that's all I got to say. Okay, and I'm happy to be that here.
Speaker 3: Enjoy in life and snowboarding and living in the Peak country and you and you could tell just by your words how much you love it and respect it. And then you're good American because you appreciate everything we have here.
Speaker 2: Every single thing, including you and all of those that you've helped, like I said, Rubik's Cube over your career to go off and do these things, you know, the Brandon webs and the and the Latrell's and the Kyle's and everybody's learned about and all of the fame and you know, these guys going off and given their all. Yeah, you know. So, I just want to say so much thank you for being back on Soft Reap Radio. You're always welcome as a guest to be on soft Reap Radio. Your books Inside Seal Team Six, Overcoming Obstacles, Facing Your Fears, Hunt, The Wolf Hunt, The Scorpion Hunt, The Falcon United States Navy Seal Survival Handbook for those that want to learn how to survive like an elite warrior. To your co author Ralph, you know your triathlete, combat motivated veteran, that's airborne, scuba, quald and the whole nine yard. And you've been a great, great guest on the show today, So thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you, rad and thanks so much for having me. I look forward to the next time.
Speaker 2: Well, with that said, on behalf of Brandon Web and the whole crew that rows the boat here at soft Rep Mafia, I want to say thank you. Go check out our merch store that's full of all sorts of branded goods and items that we love that you purchase and tag us in on the internet. And also our book club. Go check out the book club. We'll try to get Don's books in there. And again on behalf of down Man and myself, Rad I say peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to surf Rep Radia