Speaker 1: Pushkin. This is Talk Easy. I'm San Fragoso. Welcome to the show, Nick Offerman. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm very well, thank you. I'm glad to be in touch with you. I'm a big fan of the podcast, and I'm glad to have reason to have your glance fall upon me.
Speaker 1: So the reason we are talking is because you're in this new movie called Civil War. It's directed by Alex Garland. He's made films like Ex Machina, Annihilation. There was a TV show you made with them called Devs. You texted me out of the blue and started the message Offerman here, which is one of my favorite texts to receive. It just says Offerman here, and then I'm like, Okay, what's next? And what was next in this case was you asking me have you seen this movie? Why did you reach out and why should people see this movie?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm a fan of Talk Easy as well as a longtime listener and one time interviewee. One nice thing about the podcast age is you find people who are having interesting conversations that I find the conversations on this show particularly edifying and elucidating, and so I just am really interested in the conversations that this film is engendering. In a nutshell, it's a movie about a fictional American civil war in a fictional America that doesn't weigh in in any way on any real life American politics or world politics. It's just a government and then a rebel faction or two, and there's a civil war seen through the eyes of some journalists. And it's been the number one movie in America the last two weekends running, so it's doing very well. But it also is exciting some really emotional responses from otherwise calm, clearheaded people. There was an article in The New Yorker yesterday by Richard Brody who said that he was ashamed of Alex because Alex didn't have his characters whisper things when they took photographs as Richard Brody would have preferred. They and a whole litany of the ways Richard Brody would have made the film in a much more commanding and intelligent and effective way.
Speaker 1: The review was oddly paternal.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was very admonishing, and you know, without disparaging a very intelligent writer. That's what I'm fascinated by is this sort of embarrassing takes that people are revealing from this film because the film doesn't take a stand on the current state of American politics or global politics, but instead to give us this sort of rich pastiche of a novel that also happens to be a gripping action film, to make us talk about it, get us excited and say, well, that was uncomfortable seeing crimes outside of Pittsburgh. Maybe we should consider a different tack in this country.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about it without spoiling the movie. It is set in the near future, feels like it could be twenty twenty four, some kind of begins in what feels like the end of the second act of a civil war. We don't know why there's been an uprising. We don't know who's responsible for that outside of the President, which is the person you play, who is now serving his third term and has eliminated the FBI and is asking his fellow citizens to come back to the country peacefully and that they will accept them with open arms. You said that you did not look to Donald Trump to play this part. Where did you begin in thinking about this character.
Speaker 2: Some reviewers have accused me of aping Joe Biden, and some have accused me of nodding towards our disgraced former.
Speaker 1: President, which accusation offended you more?
Speaker 2: Neither of them really offended me. They just make me shake my head when you know again, I turned to Theodore Roosevelt's wonderful quote about the critic and how I would rather get out and be in the arena taking a swing at it than judging the swingers.
Speaker 1: So Roosevelt was your chief influence.
Speaker 2: No, son of a bitch, now that I will not stand for. It's a funny thing when I get offered something and they say we want you to play the plumber. You read the thing and it happens in your imagination. Oh, I know I am this guy. I know how to do this guy, and so I, for one, don't ever say I'm going to base this on any attributes.
Speaker 3: Of another person.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The writer answers all the questions you need answered. So I didn't need a lot of backstory or I didn't need any like real life correlations for this guy. All I needed to know is what we've sort of gone over in the story is that there are some fascist elements to this guy. And as the film opens, we see imagery of America at war, we see America is on fire, while the president is standing at his podium saying everything is terrific. We're about to take a victory lap. This is all really cool, so please come back into the fold and so you know, then I get a hold of Alex and I say, okay, so correct me if I'm wrong. We don't need to know who the factions are, We don't need to know anybody's politics. All we need to know is this is the state of affairs in America, and this is the state of affairs with this guy. And my questions were more like how much how loud do you want this guy to be?
Speaker 3: Like how much of a.
Speaker 2: Carnival Barker snake oil salesman versus a human being?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And we sort of aired on the side of sincerity, you know, instead of turning it up and being a little bit of a showman. We tried to make him human.
Speaker 3: Sow that.
Speaker 2: In the opening of the film, especially, we see him kind of rehearsing his speech and going over his phrasing, and then we see him delivering the speech at the presidential podium on TV as we're so accustomed to seeing. And I found it to be a humanizing moment where we say, Okay, this is a guy doing it. This is a salesman in a particular job, selling us the kind of thing we have been sold many times, but in a new context.
Speaker 1: You mentioned at the top that there's been some criticism, whether it's in the New Yorker or on Twitter, where people are going, how come this film is not choosing a side? What exactly is it saying about our current political moment? But it feels to me in watching the movie, and I think this may inspire other people to watch it. The politics are very much prologue. Garland has a quote in GQ recently where he said, I'm a centrist. When I talk about things like left or right, I'm talking about things like whether you believe in a free market or not. I'm talking about what taxation levels should be at I see no reason why, no reason at all, why those sorts of definitions need to be defined. People need to talk freely and respect each other, and underneath this film is a kind of conversational centrism. It's a fascinating quote. It feels like an especially British quote because we are in these polarized times. And I guess, do you worry that making a centrist film that essentially says there can be good people on both sides, when in this current moment, in twenty twenty four, in our politics, there's only one side that says X persons vote should not count, or X persons should have a more difficult time in voting, or if the results come in and they are not favorable to me, I may not accept them. I'm all for talking about where and how we can come together, But do you worry that a film that is this dead and the center in a moment where one side is trying to take a bludgeon to our democracy, to our constitution, do you worry that it's not doing or saying enough.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to suspect that this podcast is not centrist, Nick, you listen to the show. The thing I love about Alex is he is wonderfully eloquent, but he's an incredibly thoughtful artist. And so I'm astonished that even hearing you ask this question, like I know you know, I know you well enough to agree with you in most things, but even having you sort of lay out the term centrist positive to me in this way gets my blood going. We exist in a time when any of stance, whether it be left right or center, brings up emotions and vitriol of one sort or another. And so I don't see this film as centrist or remotely suggesting a sort of reductionist idea of centrism. I e. There's good people on both sides. There are good people on both sides, and you know I agree with that. I do, and so instead I applaud Alex. He's not espousing centrism with this film. I think he's espousing neutrality. He's giving it to us through the point of view of neutral journalists. We see actions by different factions that are despicable, that are lawless, that are very upsetting, and I think that is his message that in wartime, lawlessness rules the day. So I believe the film is being positive as a cautionary tale to say, no matter who is saying, what about whom or who votes for whom, do we want to end up in this situation. That's why I think people leave the theater saying that's really irresponsible, that he didn't give me something to shake my fist at. I mean, we're having this conversation on I don't know day eight of Trump's first trial in New York. David Pecker is completely just urinating all over Trump's cake by describing in detail all of the nefarious practices they got up to on behalf of the former guy. You know what I mean? The world is upside down, And I think that had Alex even begun to suggest anything in either direction in this film on behalf of the factions, then it immediately becomes a one sided film, even coming in as neutral as he did, a lot of pundits and a lot of critics are still shaking their fists and saying. There is a Fox News headline that said, Kirsten Dunst and Nick Offerman on the red carpet of the premiere staunchly deny that The Sky is based on Trump. And it's easily denied because it's a complete work of fiction and we're sort of way above that kind of of tabloid thought. But isn't it interesting that.
Speaker 1: That fids Fox News.
Speaker 3: That this fascistic dipshit.
Speaker 2: They're the ones that they're like, how can you deny that this is based on Trump?
Speaker 3: Really, you're not giving him any compliments.
Speaker 1: The film has upset both Democrats and Republicans, which tells me I think you've done something right.
Speaker 2: I think Alex has done something right, and I think the reaction that we're discussing just goes to show he sort of hit the nail on the head. And I mean, in this modern climate, to sort of run the gauntlet to where you're the number one movie in America even though people are shaking their fist and saying you didn't either defend my opinion or you didn't give me any libtard bullshit, you know, to get with what my friends about, so we could go out and shoot at a twelve pack of some erroneous light beer product.
Speaker 1: It's called bud Light.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you do on Friday's Nick, but that's what I'm doing. The film has done very well at the box office. I'm curious. You saw the film in theaters this morning?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: How did that feel?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: It's interesting. I saw it last October in a screening room by myself, and yeah, I don't know. You know, I'm fifty three. I'm a shitting, stumbling human and so you know, and I'm also working as an actor, so like I have a life full of rejection with like many peaks of triumph. Here and there. But nonetheless, when I go in to see this film, you know, there are things in my life like, well, my knees hurt, so probably I'm not going to get to play Superman. Maybe I can get cast as old Superman. Anyway, let's see what Alex is cooked up and so to then you know see and by the way, my analogy when I tell people about my role in this film, I say that I'm much like Soren, who you don't you don't see a lot, but he's foundational to the narrative. Nobody's hiking to any mountains without my character. So I mean, you know, my journey and I apologize for using that term.
Speaker 3: The last thing.
Speaker 2: Anyone wants to hear is about a fucking actor's journey. But my journey has been such it's been a very slowly rolling snowball through Chicago theater, through the beginnings of TV and film in Los Angeles. And like I got my sagcard thirty years ago when I was twenty three, and so across those thirty years, I still feel like I'm ascending. I still feel like I'm getting to do better stuff, work with better you know, on better projects. But as I'm you know, stumbling my way forward. To see something like this that's so affecting and be a small part of it just makes me really grateful, And so when I'm along for the ride, it makes me well up with emotion.
Speaker 1: You call the film a cautionary tale. Do you think it is a clarion call as well? And if so, a call to do what.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you read the paper, but there's been some talk about politics in this country, especially since twenty sixteen, and the terrifying and shameful problems.
Speaker 1: Of Thank you you listen to the show, you know, I exclusively read Deadline and.
Speaker 2: Variety, So I'll send you a couple of links.
Speaker 1: Please, and some Wendell Berry.
Speaker 2: But there's some bad news. Yeah. The thing that I'm driving toward is there's been a lot of talk.
Speaker 1: Usually you call it guff.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of guff. There's been a lot of beef between the Red and the Blue and the other splintered factions, and I believe the chasm has not grown less. I mean, as a storyteller, Parks and Recreation is a great example. I'm glad to be a part of that show that was basically a really good hearted show about decency and how funny it is trying to get anything through a bureaucracy at all, and just a lot of human lessons about friendship and character and so forth that I think should be appealing to audiences of all political stripes. But again, these conversations require nuance. You know, I love to work with Ava du Verne, whose stuff you know will will be banned in the libraries of Florida because she mentions the phrase black people and other such social crimes.
Speaker 1: Critical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I consider that to be a good medicinal storytelling that's good hearted for everybody. It's not strident, and it's not partisan. It's it's simply telling the truth. And so the fact that Alex has created this gripping action movie, I mean, first and foremost people should know it's a rip roaring road movie that has you on the edge of your seat. I mean, I knew what was going to happen, and I've seen it twice and still is the end credits rolled. I caught myself like deep breathing, like oh my, like the end of a really long roller coaster.
Speaker 1: I saw it in Imax, and it was all the lame criticism cliches of pulse pounding, rip roaring, terrifying. Is a terrifying movie, and I think ultimately the reason I'm at times frustrated by the movie, deeply moved by the movie, all of which I think our good response is to have to something that's an interesting piece of art, is because the vision it offers us, the window it offers us into a near future, regardless of your politics, regardless of where you live, who you choose to love, it should terrify you.
Speaker 2: I agree, And that and that, you know, brings us back to why how is it a cautionary tale? What do we want the audience to come away with it? And it is to sort of elicit an emotional response. That's that to my way of thinking, that says, where can we take a left turn? We're barreling toward something like this. You know, we're not helping by calling each other names and worse, and so how can we continue to try to arc our conversations toward decency and away from division.
Speaker 1: My favorite piece of writing on the film is this piece in Vulture by Bilga Ebery, and he wrote this is maybe his best idea and why the film's lack of political context feels more pointed than spineless. The concept here is to depict Americans acting the way we've seen people act in other international conflicts, be it Vietnam or Lebanon or the former Yugoslavia, or Iraq or Gaza, or the list goes on and on. In that sense, Civil War ends up becoming a movie about itself. Beyond the plausibility of war in the United States or the tragedy of such an eventuality, It's about the way we refuse to let images from wars like this get to us. It's more of a call for reflection, an attempt to put us in the shoes of others, than a warning not and it can happen here.
Speaker 3: Movie.
Speaker 1: But here's what it's like.
Speaker 4: Movie.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make us want to feel so much as it wants us to ask why we don't feel anything.
Speaker 3: Boom.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, and that to say that it's that his lack of political assignment to the forces is more pointed than spineless. That's the So many of the thinkers that are conducting in our information streams today and those of us that are consuming said information were so in third gear.
Speaker 3: We're so in the.
Speaker 2: Mode of having to pay attention and be vigilant and participate in the ongoing conversation that involves a lot of these divisive topics, and so when we see something like this, it has a lot of triggers that says, you know, this should be fuel this should be part of this conversation. I'm grateful for that review that that is able to calmly say, oh, the way this, this remains in the eddy of the river and not in the middle of the current, is actually the point and it's and it's very effective.
Speaker 1: That last line that was sounding a lot like Wendell Berry poem.
Speaker 2: The reason I brought that up is a couple of nice articles came out today, one in GQ, one in the Washington Post about me, uh and how I seem to get cast as conservatives or even you know, the rural characters.
Speaker 3: One way or another.
Speaker 1: You're often cast as a Republican avatar, like in the Last of Us you play a survivalist toombsday prepper. In Ava Duvernet's new film Origin, you're playing a maga hat wearing plumber. Of course, Ron Swanson was a was a different kind of man, more of a libertarian, and then now the fascist president in civil War.
Speaker 3: And it's funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I was tickled at these thoughtful writers who wanted to sort of look at me through that lens because it hadn't occurred to me again just the last of us, for example, I never thought about Bill's politics as it were. But you're right, you know, standing back from it, people see a guy, a doomsday prepper who can use a shovel and a shotgun. They don't think liberal, even though in the Washington Post I say I compare Donald Trump to a pile of dog shit that is being sold as pumper nickeled bread. And I know, I know that I'm not helping like I know that doing that, I'm now participating in the partisan conversation where I'm giving, you know, anybody who is voting for that guy who somehow now is receiving the pumper nickel messaging and not the reality of the dog shit those people are saying, Okay, so Offerman is a libtard. You know, we should dismiss everything that comes from him, and vice versa. And I recognize the problem with that fractionalized messaging. Like most of those people, I would like those people, and I would like to sit down with them and say, I think if you knew the information that you're not getting, you'd be pretty embarrassed. And especially if you claim to be voting, you know, like based on Christian values, for example, I think you'd be pretty embarrassed if you saw what it looks like to the rest of the world. We're all assholes. That's the thing is, We're all flawed humans. We're trying to govern a nation of wealthy burger eating truck drivers, and among which I proudly include myself and shamefacedly include myself. Like, we're all doing our best in this very messy world. But there's a legislation that leans much more toward compassion, and then there's legislation that leans much more toward bigotry. And so when I get confused, I always think of this Wendelberry poem called questionnaire. How much poison are you willing to eat for the success of the free market and global trade? Please name your preferred poisons for the sake of goodness? How much evil are you willing to do? Fill in the following blanks with the names of your favorite evils and acts of hatred. What sacrifices are you prepared to make for culture and civilization? Please list the monuments, shrines, and works of art you would most willingly destroy in the name of patriotism and the flag. How much of our beloved land are you willing to desecrate? List in the following spaces the mountains, rivers, towns, farms you could most readily do without. State briefly the ideas, ideals or hopes, the energy sources, the kinds of security for which you would kill a child, Name please, the children.
Speaker 3: Whom you would be willing to kill. That's it.
Speaker 1: About as perfect of a summation of this film as you could possibly have delivered. Wow. I love a guest that comes in with palms ready to go, Like I don't even have to do my normal amount of prodding and preparing and setting up clips. You just you come in, hot and ready to go. And for that I am eternally grateful.
Speaker 3: Well, we're equally grateful.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a fan, and so please understand that I just as you pleasure us all with your homework and what you are able to extrapolate from that research. I also wanted to bring in. I wanted to pack a lunch to share with you as well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. I thank you for the time, the thoughts, the poems, and as always, please text me whenever you want to get into it again.
Speaker 3: I sure will.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me, Sam.
Speaker 1: And so with that, after the break the story of actor Nick Offerman. Nick Offerman, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Good? Sam? How you doing?
Speaker 1: The response is quick.
Speaker 2: That's probably the last quick response you'll get from me.
Speaker 1: I have faith in you. Slow talking is my bag, and it doesn't help what the show is called. Talk easy. How have the last few months been for you? Though?
Speaker 2: Hectic, chaotic, but fruitful and warm. The fruitful and warm part. I've been doing some acting jobs. I've been with my wife for twenty one years, and the ups and downs of living through the pandemic and like trying to get along with everybody has been wonderfully bolstered by my household. So all of that is nice and supportive, which is great, because then like traveling and being a part of a film company or a crowd of people on a tram at the Atlanta airport has been very difficult at times. So I mean that's the hectic and chaotic part. Looking at the fellow earthlings around me and saying, man, how can we be so wrong so frequently?
Speaker 1: It's funny because that seems to be some of the guiding force of this new book, And in the opening it's called where the Deer and the Antelope Play you write. Ever since that epiphany, with my limited cognitive capacity, I thought you're being hard on yourself there. I have instead been able to periodically glimpse the ways in which we industriously sell to one another our own demise. One of the most pernicious ways in which we do that is by pretending and convincing one another that the planet's resources are unlimited.
Speaker 3: Heavy shit.
Speaker 1: That seems like a pretty clear mission statement for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't heard it read out loud. I feel like it holds up pretty well.
Speaker 1: Did it feel okay coming from me?
Speaker 2: It really did. I mean, frankly, I take it as a compliment that you would read it on your show. Hopefully it makes the cut. You just write that down, must cut tim grab that timecode. When I first read my first Wendelberry stories in about ninety five, it's the same epiphany where you know, I grew up in a rural part of Illinois and a farming family with great values, and I was trying to make my way in the theater community of Chicago and really having a hard time reconciling myself my self worth with what I perceived to be popular culture and just mass media.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: I hadn't yet.
Speaker 2: Learned to value myself or understand that I had a place in the world of culture, you know, like I felt like a complete outsider. And all my cool friends who grew up in the suburbs or the city, who already had heard of David Mammot, I was like, oh man, they're so far ahead of me.
Speaker 3: I'm such a dipshit.
Speaker 2: And so eventually I was like, oh, okay, you guys know all about Gucci and Versace and Vidal Sassoon, but this guy knows the difference between a standard and a Philip said screwdriver, and together we'll make magic.
Speaker 1: The way you said Gucci, was it correct? But do you think I would know? I wouldn't. But the way you said it, I can hear it playing over an ad.
Speaker 2: The raiments of Stefano Gucci. I'm assuming Gucci's a Stefano, I hope. So when I was looking for my place, sort of in the world of storytelling and entertainment. Somebody dropped these Wendell Berry stories on me, and it just was a huge epiphany about how the world I was trying to fit into was actually selling a bill of goods to the rural world from which I came. And I've spent the subsequent twenty five years, you know, trying to reconcile that and sort of tell everybody else you, guys, I come from gardeners, and we've forgotten about this and we shouldn't.
Speaker 1: At that same time in nineteen ninety five, before your friend gives you some Wendell Berry to read working at Steppenwolf, and you have this time with Sam Shepherd. But I think it's kind of a fitting playwright for the culture you're talking about. It's hard to convey how culturally ignorant I was. Well, we can try it.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a shot. Like I still had no inkling that I could ever get from Chicago theater to New York or Los Angeles, or to ever work in film or television. I had gone to theater school, and now I had a company in Chicago with my friends called the Defiant Theater, and we were professionally putting up plays, and then I ended up getting to work at Steppenwolf. But even then Gary Sinisee was directing the show. I was understudying Ethan Hawke. Sam Shepherd was there doing rewrites on his incredible play Buried Child, which is a great representation because it's about a corn farming family.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a play he want to appeel the prize for in nineteen seventy nine. Then decided he needed to do revisions on a play that won prestigious prize.
Speaker 2: And that's correct. He was a hard man to please.
Speaker 1: Apparently, Sam's usually you.
Speaker 2: Better come correct if you're going to sit down across from a Sam. I was a simple laborer, and I mean that affectionately. My skill set in my mid twenties was way more steered towards working professionally as a scenic carpenter. I was just beginning to understand the path to decent representative naturalistic acting. But it was my other skills. It was my work as a fight combatant and choreographer that partially helped get me hired at Steppenwolf when we did a clockwork orange and so I was just not that sharp and so the fact that Sam Shepherd, you know, sent me out for a bottle of Maker's Mark, I didn't see him as existing in the world I was in. I was one of the dipshits putting on plays here in this Chicago scene. And then a dinosaur or a dragon would come along, like Sam Shepherd, and we didn't think, oh, he came from us, or where we can get where he is. And so he sent me out for whiskey, and all I could think was in terms of how of like James Dean, you know, just asked me for a stick of gum, and I was like, oh my god, I'll never wash this pack of gum again. I went out and got him a bottle of bourbon. And by the end of the anecdote, I was given cause to stop and think, like, wait a second, this guy. It was before a rehearsal of Buried Child, in which he was participating as playwright, like watching the rehearsal, doing rewrites and so forth. Some people would say that's not a good idea to use intoxicants at work. Basically, other people, especially from Sam's heyday in the seventies, would say that my friend is what we call rock and roll. As a young person, I gravitated towards well, great rock and roll sounds good. But as I became more and more of a working professional, I was like, oh, I don't create my personal rock and roll by drinking whiskey. That's my reward for creating rock and roll. If I'm going to be rock and roll, it's going to be from soberly, like applying the skills.
Speaker 3: I've been given.
Speaker 2: And so you know Sam and the whole up in Wolf Company and situation, which is such a gorgeous anomaly. You know, these cool, smart, open minded kids mainly from Illinois. John Malkovich, Lori, Metcalf, Glenn Headley, Jeff Perry all came together and started this theater company that was really groundbreaking and sort of dropped their drawers and showed their rear ends to American theater.
Speaker 1: You've said a couple of times already that you felt as an outsider that the acting space you orbited in appeared otherworldly, something far away from where you grew up in Minooka, Illinois. But I'm wondering, at what point do you think these two worlds diverged or maybe converged.
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: So I moved to Los Angeles and had two or three years of flailing, like trying to find my way in this entirely different animal of a city.
Speaker 1: What does that look like?
Speaker 2: I mean, simply being broke, living with my best friend and drinking a lot of bourbon and smoking a lot of weed and watching the movie Billy Jack over and over again, and just you know, trying to like stay true to our shared artistic sensibilities while the world is telling us, don't be weird and like yourself, do everything you can to get on Baywatch or Dawson's Creek, and having the wherewithal to be like, yeah, I don't. I think that would be a bad move.
Speaker 1: This is nineteen ninety six to nineteen ninety nine, that's correct, and you're twenty six to twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Late twenties. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was really having a tough time, and I said, you know what, Los Angeles is not a good theater town because everybody that you would want to do theater with is busy doing TV and film. But nonetheless, my entire adulthood has founded upon theater. So I need to do a play. And I sort of announced this to my circle of friends and two very great casting directors Nicole Arbusto and Joy Dixon hooked me up with this production of a Charles me play called The Berlin Circle, in which I met my wife, my future wife, Megan Malalley. I mean, it was never lost on me the power with which I said, you know, theater built this guy named Nick Offerman, and if I'm going to survive, it's going to be with theater. It was a fascinating turn of events because I had come to Los Angeles and like had good luck. I got meetings with studios and casting people and they all basically one way or another, said you're not cool, Like you don't get it, and I was like, I couldn't agree more. I never said I did I like doing plays?
Speaker 3: Do you have any of those going?
Speaker 1: I like you showing up to a film studio being like plays.
Speaker 2: I mean my resume. I had a wonderful theater resume and they would look at it and say this, have you been on MTV?
Speaker 3: Like what are we supposed to do with you?
Speaker 1: When you're standing there in front of these casting directors or maybe even before you walk into that audition, what is going through your head?
Speaker 3: Not much?
Speaker 2: I mean I was pretty thick headed. When I was in Chicago, things started going well right towards the end of Chicago and I had a little part in a film in Indianapolis. It was a Ben Affleck film before Goodwill Hunting. It was a sun Dance movie called Going All the Way. And I had a wonderful time as like a supporting antagonist in that film. Most of my role got cut, actually sadly, because Ben had a prosthetic beard that looked so bad they cut the beard scenes, which were my scenes. Nonetheless, the gang on that film was very supportive and said, you make really funny faces. You should try Los Angeles, And I said, that's all I need.
Speaker 1: It's incredible that it just took a couple lines of encouragement, and I think a whole bunch of talent, a.
Speaker 2: Whole bunch of potential energy that I didn't know what to do with.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 2: Once I got here and was in those meetings, I knew that I wasn't cut out to pursue a typical Hollywood path, and so pretty quickly I quit auditioning for commercials and started working as a carpenter more full time. Eventually, I'm coming back around to answer the question of when did I feel like I diverged with the rest of the people, And I guess that was in my early years with Megan, when I first got to hang around Will and Grace. In two thousand and one, I befriended the writers and the people making the show. And that's when I sort of in another graduation from the Steppenwolf days, I learned that we're all just trying to find our ass with both hands. It's that adult lesson of Oh, the high school principle that I thought was such an authority figure was just as big a dipshit as I am, like or if not more, which is a wonderful lesson. I mean, it's, you know, if you could go back and tell the younger self anything, For me, it's always everybody probably shot themselves sometime in the last year, and that humanizes everybody. This is also just a person, and so I can just be myself instead of trying to be some other notion of a cool actor.
Speaker 1: But it's funny, as children were told, when you're nervous in front of people, imagine them without clothes as opposed to being told, imagine them being rich, complicated, nuanced people with problems like your own. I feel like the underwear imagining is not effective.
Speaker 2: I think that's totally true. I think become a trick partially through listening to George Saunders. I now have an immediate switch that I flip if somebody's behaving in an aggressive or violent way. Instead of thinking should I punch them or what should I do? I think what must have happened to them this morning or in their childhood or somewhere in between. Why are they so bummed out?
Speaker 1: Are you always able to do that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: It's kind of new. Recently, I was on a tramcar at the Atlanta Airport and it was one of those tram cars just kept filling up with people like a subway car.
Speaker 1: This is what you mentioned earlier, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it gets like a sardine situation. And halfway down this packed car, this muscle dude had his mask under his chin, and the whole rest of the car, of course, is filled with decency and people covering up. For some reason, the guy made eye contact with me, and I took the front of my mask and I just tugged. I just gently was like, hey, put your mask on, And the guy reached under his chin and tugged on his mask and looked at me insusciantly, as if to say, go fuck yourself. And I, thankfully had just been listening to George Saunders talk about seeing other people as broken machines and we're all, you know, doing our best to deal with these incorrect perceptions of the world that we have, and thankfully I was able to just be like, Okay, don't go shove this dude, Like, don't engage in aggressive behavior. What's wrong with this guy? What's wrong with all of us, you know? And I was able to derail whatever aggression, whatever pugnacious reaction that ignited in me, And I felt like that was a great victory. Even though I got off the tram, was like, oh man, at least I turned off the five alarm fire in my head of that guy's being a jerk.
Speaker 3: You should go punch him.
Speaker 1: I think, especially in the past year, George Saunders has slowly engendered some kindness in people.
Speaker 2: He's disarming like the reason one of the many reasons I love him and Jeff Tweety and aspire to their degree of sort of empathetic philosophy and humor in their work is because of their ability to do just that as middle aged, straight white guys, to sort of ask these questions of our human nature and say, how can we continue to be decent to one another? George has his famous graduation speech about kindness. It's disarming because he sounds like such a South side of Chicago, like just a normal guy, like do you want to talk? And you're like, oh, no, you are the Buddha.
Speaker 1: He's had a profound effect on me, and I think on everyone who works on this show after he came on. But that question you ask, how can we be decent? I wondered was that something you were asking before you met Meghan or something you really started to ask of yourself as you fell in love.
Speaker 3: Ah boy.
Speaker 2: I had a moment when I got to college, probably about age nineteen, when I had been on my own two feet for just maybe two or three months away from mom and dad's house, and everything landed on me. There are simple and life lessons of decency and work ethic and common sense values landed on me in a way that I called home and said, Okay, first of all, I apologize for the last four years of my behavior.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's reenact this here. You call all right, can you do this sound effect for us? Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello, Mom?
Speaker 2: Can I can I talk to Dad?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 2: Hello Dad, It's Nick. I'm at a payphone near the quad.
Speaker 1: Is that in Iowa?
Speaker 3: No, that's Illinois. Dad.
Speaker 2: You know it's about two and a half hours straight south. You're the one that showed me where it is on a map. So now I'm worried, But listen, don't distract me. I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for the behavior of the last four or five years.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about, my experiments in other ways of life, besides the one you suggested to me, And I wanted to just say thank you for the simple teachings that you and Mom have given me. Be six to two and even tell the truth. Work as hard as you can, and nobody can ever question you. And from here on out, I'm going to endeavor to do just that. Are you still there, Dad?
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest. I had to put you on hold. Your brother Matt was calling on the other line. I had to take it. What's on hold? In nineteen eighty click one of us as an actor very clearly.
Speaker 2: That was when I realized that, like the selfish parts of my human nature were something that I would be combating for the rest of my life. And sort of like all the stuff they'd been talking about in the Catholic Church I grew up in, I was like, oh, okay, if you just put it this way, I would have gotten it. But you had to dress it up in all these parables that put us all to sleep. And so that's when my road to adulthood started. Once I got into my relationship with Megan, and pretty soon within a year or two, realized I was going to do my best to marry her again. I just leaned on the values my mom and dad instilled in me. So that's like the personal domestic part of it.
Speaker 1: When you were being taught by Chozzosanto at the University of Illinois, het in you this idea of always being a student, always learning every day. And in many ways, when I think of what I know of your marriage with Megan, it strikes me as something that requires and has received routine maintenance. But if we could go back to those early months of courtship, because at that point, you're in this play that we talked about, the Berlin Circle. You're sleeping on a couch in someone's basement. I don't know if it has a.
Speaker 2: Bathroom, that's correct, Yeah, I mean it doesn't have a bathroom with plumbing. It has a dirt floor, which at the time we called a bathroom.
Speaker 1: So how does this happen?
Speaker 2: I never could have gotten to do the things I've gotten to do in my life without my sensey teaching me that little idiom, and that just always stuck with me, especially when I was no longer technically a student. When I got to Los Angeles, I had to maintain an openness. The answers were never apparent when I arrived in each phase in my life, whether it was Hollywood or in my relationship with Megan, it didn't make any sense at all when we met. I just had a real classist leaning in my brain. So when I met Megan, she was doing great. She was about to win her first Emmy for Will and Grace. She was gorgeous, Broadway star, talented, was wearing fashionable clothing. I mean, even that was outside of my realm of perception, where I was like, Oh, you are announcing when you walk in the door again that you like Sam Shepard. You're not I'm not of you, We're not on the same plane, and pretty quickly our magnetism, the parts of ourselves that were attracted to one another made themselves known, and the rest of me was terrified. And in hindsight, I can see that I was able to maintain the attitude of a student and say, Okay, what's going on here. I'm getting a lot of signals that there's going to be love making here at some point. But at the same time, that doesn't jibe with the shoes that you're wearing that I've only seen on television or what have you. And I was terrified, And I guess many times I've been terrified because I'm entering into an unknown part of the realm.
Speaker 3: Of the world.
Speaker 1: What does a terrifying you look like?
Speaker 2: I get butterflies really bad. I mean, I specifically remember having this inclination about Megan and myself. There's no greater place to make friends, like if you've ever been in a school or true situation, either you're really good at making fart noises or just good at farting. It's your confederates, the people who you make eye contact with and then try not to laugh. And that enjoyment of not laughing in a reverential setting. You take that backstage at the theater, and the things that you do backstage with your castmates to fuck around when what's happening on stage, your life's work, which demands the ultimate reverence, makes it so funny to be silently irreverent off stage. And so Megan and I quickly became that where we're like, it's just the little one liners. And she would say things to me. She was so filthy, and I would go home every night to my best friend Pat, I'd be like, check out what she said today about my balls, Like this, No her, you know, the lead of the show.
Speaker 1: And you were waiting for a woman to say that about your balls, I was.
Speaker 2: I was like, she's the one I have found her.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to go on to my dad one day and say.
Speaker 2: Check out when she said them out my ball's dad. And so all of those positive signals were happening. But at the same time, I was a peasant. I mean it was very pre peasant prints in the pauper circumstance. I was country mouse anymore. The scriptors for what you were, No.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: I was terrified of stepping into the world where people pay thirty five dollars for a pair of dress socks. My family, my extended farm family in Illinois, there's a defense mechanism where you don't buy brand name soda, and we all agree. So if we showed up at a family picnic with Coca Cola instead of generic cola, eyes would roll. People would say, Oh, I guess you're putting on airs as they used to say, you're holding yourself above and that's dangerous. You sprung for the price here soda exactly. But that's a licentiousness in your living that's dangerous to a community.
Speaker 1: I don't think that word licentiousness has ever been described around.
Speaker 2: Coca cola, choosing coke over diet cola. These are heady times, Sam, but no, it's true. It's something that I was really aware of where once I moved in with Megan and became part of her world, I then would wear clothing home to Minuka that I was aware was offensive because it was not bought at J. C. Penny or the Farm and Fleet. So there's this old fashioned sensibility that's protective, that's like, oh, we don't buy those fancy shoes because we don't give ourselves permission that's part of our frugality by which we survive. So that was the terrifying part. Was was me saying, okay to I'm going to enter your world where you're going to take me to the halls of j Crewe and put me in a try to put me in a sweater. She hasn't succeeded yet, but we tried.
Speaker 1: And the turning point came that night at the Hollywood Ball seeing Glenn Campbell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we tossed it back and forth. Megan had had some ups and downs. She had been dating, in her words, you know, she had been dating like rock drummer types, skinny little guys, and she was very much the I think the boss of her dating relationships. And when she met me, I learned later she found me also to be a strange animal. And she thought, oh, this isn't dating material, Like if I'm going to get into this, this is for keeps. And so with that in mind, she made me work a long time, like she made me ply my troth for months before like moving into the bedroom.
Speaker 1: It took four months. Is that how long?
Speaker 2: That sounds about right?
Speaker 1: That's what she's estimated. Yeah, that's a long time.
Speaker 2: It was, but I mean, you know, there were things going on. There were crumbs on the trail before we got to the picnic basket. I'll remind you this is coming out of a few years of drunken stumbling of like is my what am I? And suddenly I found the love of my life. And so, as I told her at the time, I'll sleep on your couch for a long time, I don't. It's so much better.
Speaker 1: Than the couch I'm currently sleeping on then.
Speaker 3: Urinating on a dirt floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we ultimately ended up going to the Hollywood Bowl to see Glenn Campbell on the fourth of July. He was in rare Form and during Rhyanstone Cowboy, Megan leaned over and asked me to be her boyfriend. And I mean, you know, in hindsight, I believe then all the fireworks went off at once.
Speaker 3: It was a big night blacker.
Speaker 4: Cow people.
Speaker 1: So, if we're writing the story of this in the aftermath of that night, you two officially are boyfriend girlfriend. A couple of years later, you get married by your former professor. What I want to go to is this remarkably strange coincidence. In the early to mid two thousands, you and your wife would be home watching the Office and now and again you would see the character played by Rain Wilson. Because name is Dwight Droyt Schreut. People at home are like, yeah, it's Dwight. Obviously. You would see this character and turn to your wife and say, you know, if this is ever going to work out for me, it's going to be a character like that on a show like this. And lo and behold, two thousand and nine comes around and you go through a pretty arduous process to get the role of Ron Swanson. There's a big phone call that happens, but walk us through the steps before you got that phone call.
Speaker 2: Backing up even a little farther, when I used to go religiously to watch Will and Grace tape every week, and I learned that TV shows and films are made by people just like me. I would work as a carpenter all day, then go watch Will and Grace and then drive home over the hill and think, man, and how could I ever get a job like that? And then you know, I got better and better sort of guest star roles. And I had this experience with Megan. Now I knew Rain Wilson. We had auditioned together many times over the years. I felt like we were kind of on the same team. We would always read for like the weird guy in the basement. So he had a great little arc on Six Feet Under, which is maybe the best show in our lifetimes, and then he had his huge breakout run as Dwight Shreut And so I said that to Megan. I had actually auditioned with others, you know, for the role of Michael Scott. I did not get that part, but then they read me for some other stuff on the office, so I wasn't completely out in left field in saying that. Eventually I read for a small role that Mike wanted to cast. It was an episode that Mike had written. So I auditioned for Greg and Mike and the great casting director Allison Jones, and Mike wanted to cast me in this part. He really he loved me, like I really struck a chord with him that day, and I couldn't do it, unfortunately, because I had coincidentally promised myself to Gary Sinise. I had a rule at the time, and that was no CSI shows. But then Gary, who I knew from Steppenwolf, was doing CSI New York and there was this guest star spot and I committed to doing this CSI New York episode. Mike sure wants to cast me on the Office finally, and I can't do it. And if I'm a man of my word, if I wasn't, I could just say sorry Gary something you know, something better came along, But I didn't. I stuck to my guns, and thankfully, Mike wrote my name on a post it, put it on his computer monitor, and a few years later, when he was asked to create a new show with Greg sort of a spin off of the Office, initially he had that post it and he said, I really want this guy on the show.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Somehow they got it in their heads to try me out, and they liked me, but NBC wasn't satisfied. They were like, I don't think so. So they made them audition every other actor available on the planet, really for months, and it was very painful because I knew that this was the situation that they creatively wanted me, but couldn't sort of cast me until they had exhausted every other possibility. So finally, at the end of that arduous process, they had me come in for a final audition, which they turned into NBC and I got the job. The final sort of straw, the tipping point was Amy Poehler had come to town to start work, and so they had me come in and improvise some scenes with Amy, and that's what they taped and sent to NBC. And I had the good sense to just be quiet and let Amy improvise because that's what she does. And then at the end of each scene, I would say like one thing, like Leslie, I've heard what you are asking me and my answer is no, And they were like, great, you got you know you got it. So Mike Sure called me to tell me that I got the job.
Speaker 3: Gosh.
Speaker 2: I remember sitting at our breakfast island and I just immediately started wetley sobbing, which is warm water rushing out of my face. Because I was thirty eight years old, and so for for a good twelve years at least, you know, I'd been dealing with a lot of rejection in circumstances like these. And so not only was it the first time that I finally got the call, but also the realization that all of the other lesser projects that I didn't get I never could have gotten this one. If I had gotten one of those, said Mike, please keep talking to me, I'm just going to cry here into your ear. And I was right. I was right to cry because it changed my life.
Speaker 1: Ron Swanson will be next.
Speaker 2: When it comes to government hearings. The only type of witness I enjoy being is a hostile one. That's why I intend to answer every one of their questions with the question were.
Speaker 1: You aware that all of the entertainment and food was provided by rec center teachers?
Speaker 3: Would I have stayed if I knew that?
Speaker 1: I don't know? What do you have?
Speaker 3: Would do you have?
Speaker 5: No? I wouldn't have. Did you hear leslie? Make any promises?
Speaker 3: What constitutes a promise?
Speaker 4: A quid pro quote?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you know Latin?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ron.
Speaker 2: The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. I would prefer that she asked me for my permission so I can say no.
Speaker 3: I like saying no.
Speaker 2: It lowers their enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: The role definitely changed your life and the character. Ron Swanson has become kind of embedded into the fabric of American culture, and that happened for better or worse, because during the Trump years there was kind of memifying that happened of Ron Swanson's values. And when I look back at this, it reminds me a little bit of how Archie Bunker was perceived in the aftermath of All in the Family. Normally or Carol O'Connor, both devout liberals, and yet many people look to Archie Bunker as validation for their behavior, reasons to be racist, misogynists, a patriot. The satire was lost on them, and some of that seemed to happen with your character.
Speaker 2: It has been a very interesting part of the fandom of the of that role. In every instance, Ron Swanson's his political stances, I don't I don't think they ever veer from decency. He's kind of a cartoon character. He can exist in a in a TV comedy written by incredibly intelligent people in a way that he I don't think he can.
Speaker 3: Exist in reality.
Speaker 2: It's it's strange. It's strange when people misperceive the intent of the show, which is so good hearted to begin with, but so is universal health care and either way you can you can have people shaking their fist demanding that they retain their God given right to go to hell. And so when I'm dealing with my readership or my audience and I have those people that are taken by surprise and say, wait a second, you're a snowflake, I do my best to gently say no. I don't say no, you're a jerk. If you are, I say no. But we all have been, and we all have that within us. So here's why. And if I can bring a few Ron Swanson heads along with each performance on tour or each book, that's kind of the crux of my work is like, instead of shaking my fist or trying to incite rancor instead saying we are a bunch of humans and we by definition have been screwing up the whole time, and we will always continue to screw up. It's important to remember, I think that even when we get something right, it won't stay right because everything keeps changing and evolving and decaying and dying. And so what life is about is the constant vigilance of trying to do right with the new circumstances presented by the birth of each new season, and so to anyone across the political rainbow, I say, look, we're all screwing up. You know, we're in a country where we ostensibly get to pick what happens. And look at how much pain and injustice there is. So how can we What do you guys want to talk about, you know, to keep moving forward? What can we fix? What have we done wrong? What can we do better? And I think Ron would agree with most of those things, and where he doesn't agree, Leslie will bring him around eventually.
Speaker 1: I like this idea of you bringing some of those diehard fans with you on your travels, and as believe I was thinking about where you wanted to take people with this book.
Speaker 2: I want to take us to the farm and sink our hands into the soil and have the farmers that know tell us what's good or not about that soil and why and how we've caused it to be that way. Take us to the woods and take us to the national parks and say, okay, what have we done here that's right? And okay, that was quick. Now let's talk about what we've done that's wrong. Everybody might want to sit down. This is going to take a minute. We did this, We committed genocide against these indigenous tribes. For example. We can cop to that. It's okay, it's understandable. We're human animals. You know, they have more apples than we do. Sometimes we think we need to kill them to get the apples.
Speaker 3: The humans.
Speaker 2: That's part of what we do. But let's cop to it and say, okay, now, what if we find a way to try and distribute the apples without any killing. So I would like to take us into that conversation and hopefully some smarter people than me will get up on the tree stump and say, okay, guys, first of all, here's a cure for cancer I came up with. Now let's talk about apples.
Speaker 1: Well, part of the book is you bring Jeff Tweety and George Saunders into the Glacier National Park in Montana. You keep referring to them as two people smarter than you.
Speaker 3: No one's going to need any convincing on that front.
Speaker 1: At the end of your trip, you have a dinner, and I wondered, for those who haven't read the book yet, if you could recount some of that evening when.
Speaker 2: We had our final dinner to sort of wrap up the whole trip. George, in his inimitable way, you know, talked about how nice everybody was on the trail, and it devolved into this idea of when you're with people, it's a lot easier to be nice in an instinctive way. When you see another person, if they're not brandishing a weapon or their teeth, you think, okay, are we sharing this bus bench?
Speaker 3: Are you? Is everything okay?
Speaker 2: But the farther you get from people, which is also represented. I think by talking face to face, talking screen to screen, talking on the phone with no visual to texting, by the time you get to that, it's become so impersonal that it's so much easier to shake your fist and say I hate you. And Jeff talked about how he thinks that liberals in general are progressives. I really like the terms conservative and progressive because part of conservativism, in my way of thinking, is people want to conserve the way things are. There's a sense of fear. I think there, like, let's everything's cool, the lights are on, let's just all be cool, let's not go changing stuff. And progressives want to progress. They understand that our lights may be on, but not everybody's lights.
Speaker 1: Are on.
Speaker 2: According to the American documentation, everyone deserves to have their lights on in an equal measure, and so let's try and progress until that's the case. And Jeff points out that on the progressive side of things, what those people want us to accomplish is to love people in the abstract instead of think about foreigners or the other people and somehow create an enmity there like they have the oil or they want to do bad things to us. Come to understand that we're all us and that we should love everybody. It's still going to be complicated, you know. Just a car full of kids is enough to require a lifetime and negotiation, let alone a nation or a planet. But you have to start from the place that we're all in the same family and ideally we'd like to reach our destination with everybody still alive and healthy in that vehicle full of kids.
Speaker 1: Well, we've reached our destination, and that is shortly after this trip. Jeff Tweety of will Go comes up with the song co written by George Saunders, that I'd like to play.
Speaker 3: I would love that.
Speaker 6: It's the less less call when it's time for a song sake, bed, I know I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 6: Because all in all, I'm just having a ball be alone.
Speaker 1: And I don't wanna die.
Speaker 4: It's the end of the end. Oh this beautiful dream we're in how wake up again, Robin?
Speaker 5: Or in.
Speaker 4: A howid.
Speaker 5: Howe you feel warm and fuzzy?
Speaker 2: I love those guys. Jeff is super good at songs, and so it's Georgian fact. It's like his secret is he's a very accomplished guitar player and writer of music himself. But I just I love that about them. You know that the existentialism of that song that's tied to one of the themes of my book, and that is we're all part of the same bag of molecules, and if you care about anything like your family, or your community, or your ecosystem, then we should try our best to treat it all with equal affection, because it is all the same. And that's a hard thing, I think, for everyone to wrap their heads around. But we can just start with the people, and then we could maybe expand that to the people and the animals.
Speaker 1: Fittingly, I have a poem for us that I thought you may want to read before we leave.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, Okay, This was by Wendell Berry and it's called The Piece of wild Things. When despair for the world grows in me and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be, I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water above me, the day blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world and am free. That's all I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that that that a little more of that, and a little less maybe of fantasy football, can be not a punishment but a reward.
Speaker 1: Nick Goferman, thank you for your time.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me, Sam, And.
Speaker 1: That's our show. I want to give us special thanks this week to Nick Offerman for joining us on the program. I'd like to see his new film Civil War. You can do so at a theater near you. We've included a link to showtimes in your local area at talk easypod dot com. If you want to support the program, be sure to share it on social media. You can also give us five stars on Spotify Apple wherever you do your podcasting. As always, you can reach us at SF at talk easypod dot com. If you want to check out other episodes with other very funny actors, I'd recommend Quintin Brunson, Bill Hayter, Nick Kroll, Alan Ruck, and Robbie Yusef. You can find those and more Pushkin podcast at Spotify Apple. Wherever you do your podcasting. As always, you can follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram at talk Easypod. You can also purchase one of our mugs at talk easypod dot com slash shop. We also have made a record with writer Fran Lebowitz. We don't have many of those left, so if you want to purchase a vinyl record of that talk with Fran, you can do so at talk easypod dot com slash shop. As always, Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Chennik Sa Bravo. Today's episode was edited by Andre Linn. It was mixed by Andrew Vastola. Our illustrations are by Chrishiashanoy. Our graphics are by Ethan Seneca. Our music is by Dylan Peck. I also want to thank our team at Pushkin Industries, Justin Richmond, Owen Miller, Kerrie Brody, Jacob Smith, Eric Sandler, Kira Posey, Jordan McMillan, Tara Machado, Sarah Nix, Malcolm Gladwell, Gretacon and Jacob Weisberg. I'm Sam Fragoso. Thank you for listening to another episode of Talk Easy. I'll see you back here next Sunday with Gerond Carmichael. Until then, stay safe and Solo had a patro