Speaker 1: A league fifteen to ten touchdown.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty four NFL Draft in the books. Welcome into a special edition to Chargers Weekly has always joined by Matt Muddy Smith. Buddy, A lot has transpired since I left Top Golf in El Segundo with you. What a draft for the Chargers, you know, I think a lot of teams can say that right afterwards, everyone's happy with the selections and kind of the future of their franchise, And we truly won't know in two or three years as to you know, how some of these guys develop and turned into NFL players. But I think Joe Ortiz did a heck of a job in his first year's general manager, really shape it out this roster, addressing needs and getting potential starters on Day three.
Speaker 1: That's the key. You know, you always want to come out of the draft of three starters, you know, three pluses. But pretty much most teams say, can we get out of each draft with three plus starters? And I have no doubt that they got out with three. I mean, those first three picks, those are starters, Those are high end. You know, it's the best offensive tackle in the draft, the best prospect we've seen in about a half decade. It's the best linebacker in the draft, the one that coordinated the defense for Jesse Minner and and Jim Harbaugh to the tune of a national championship. And it's the uh and it's a wide receiver that that's got more juice than anybody on the team right now. So certainly you're you're talking about, you know, three players that are going to make an immediate impact. I know everybody's probably already talked about it. It makes too much sense that, you know, Junior Colson's going to be the starting middle linebacker and he's he's going to be the green dot. He just he knows the defense too well. He's he's been in it, you know, for multiple years, through multiple playoff runs to a national championship. It's the DJ said it on the broadcast, and it was, you know, he's right. He's like, it's going to be weird having a rookie come in and telling Khalil Mack and Joey Bose and Derwin James what they're doing and explaining the defense. Joe, but that's what it's going to be. And man, that's to me, that was that was the steal right that that to me was like the steal of the draft. And I thought for sure it was going to be blake Korm. Everybody was talking about Blake Korm. That's the range where you figured he was a third down back and we know how much Coach likes him. But you know, I think he was floored that Colson was on the board there and and that's that's it. I know we can get into all the picks, and there's so much to get into, but that's that's the first thing that jumped out of me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, DJ, nobody's better than DJ at this and in his top fifty he had mcaukey I think at thirty he had all at eight, but you know, a bunch of quarterbacks in front of him, so you know, the fifth overall prospect of the draft. And he had Colson inside his top fifty and he goes at sixty nine, And like you said, it addresses a need, uh, And it just checks that box of knowing Jesse Minter's scheme, being able to call the defense. The familiarity I think is huge, and we'll get into some of the guys that they selected and just the connections to Jim Harball or some other coaches on the staff. But yeah, you know, buddy, we were doing the pod on Thursday during the draft like we were in like the early twenties. I think when we started, and wide receivers started to fly off the board towards the end, they save you're worthy. Uh, you know, Kean Coleman went on day two, Xavier Legett went with the last pick, so they started to fly off the board. And we talked about lad McConkey on Thursday, and I mentioned the fact that when Keenan Allen was here, that fit didn't make as much sense. But now the Keenan Allen has departed, you bring in a guy who can get open at a moment's notice, who's fast, who did so many things with the football in his hands at Georgia, and you know the Chargers really want because they moved up the thirty four to get him. So you get the best tackle in the draft. And then you get a weapon that I think is really Taylor made for Justin Herbert. So when you can rely upon to get open, you know where he's going to be at all times, and he could also do things with the ball in his hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I just want to make sure I had it because you look at the twenties, right, twenty three Brian Thomas, twenty eight, the Chiefs jump up to take Xavier Worthy. Then you have Ricky Piersal go at thirty or oneven and Xavier Legett go at thirty two. So now your run is on. And then as you mentioned, you start day two and it continues and it's Keon Coleman. And this is where you credit Georgie's and Jim Harbaugh for just saying, no, we got four receivers in the last five picks. We got to get our guy. And I have no doubt that this was their guy. I think you can make You can make a case for Keon Coleman just because of the Mike Williams comparisons. You know, it just looks different on the field, faster on the field than he clocks in in the forty and Kean had a miserable you know, forty time. But outside of that, when you watch him, there's those fifty to fifty balls the high pointing just how young and raw he is. So that was the other one I thought of. I was like, okay, this is to me. The second is one of two things. I was thinking, it's either one of these corners that slipped Cooper de Jen Kool aid, it's the center, it's Jackson powers Johnson, it's Zach Frasier, it's that just just lock up the offensive line, or it's the wide receivers. And as soon as they traded up, I knew that's what it was. I was like, Okay, I thought it might be eighty Mitchell. I was like, you know, is that Where are they going with this? But it's definitely wide receiver. And I think that's sort of what we were talking about in the last pod. It's not about pick five. It's about the nine selections that they have and what do they come out with the draft with And who would have guessed after picking Joe Walt at five if I were to tell you, hey, they're going to come out with three bites at this apple, at this wide receiver apple. Of all the positions they draft, receivers going to be the one. They take multiple players at two corners, but they end up getting three wide receivers in a Jim Harbard Joe Ortiz draft. Because I think people and look, you don't know what their board looks. Like and people were, you know, given Joe Ortiz flak for saying Joe Halt was the best Joe Aalt was the best player available. They were like, he was really best player available, and he's like, yeah he was. And now I think you see it. You see that Lad McConkie was the best player available with you know, with Junior Colson on the board, with edge Cooper on the board, with Jackson powers Johnson on the board, Cooper to gene these players that slid. Mcconkiy was their best player on the board, and so they took them. And then the third Junior Colson was the best player on the board, so they took him. And in the fourth boy Bee was the best player on the board, so they took him. And especially in the seventh, that's where it really I think was was crystallized and became clear, Yeah, it's a beat, it's a b PA team because they took two wide receivers that one of which nobody expected to be there in the seventh and Brndan West most had him going in the fifth, you know, maybe late fourth to early fifth, and for whatever reason, he slid and they just snatched him up. And that's that's how this front office operates. Clearly, it is best player available, and that's a pretty good way to draft players. And and I think that's also evident, you know, in the in the still pick, in the in the the he'd still picked.
Speaker 2: He's still and cam Hart go back to back corners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that, you know, And and Still nobody really knew who he was. He was not cam hert was mentioned at length because he's a freak and he's giant. He six y three, and he's a corner and he can run, you know, lights out. So yeah, but nobody I didn't know Tarry Still was. I'm not gonna lie and watch a lot of Maryland football. I went back, though, and I dug up the box score from the game of Michigan versus Maryland. What was star he's still freaking guy was nails against the run. What does Michigan like to do that? I like to run the ball. Well, here's a corner that made four tackles three run stops, which is a you know, is categorized by Pro Football Focus a solo tackle or sack that leads to an offensive failure. That's and and Tari's still had three of those in that game that was tight for Michigan thirty one twenty four. So you know there's there's some of that in this draft as well, which I know you'll get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joe Hartiz mentioned that, you know he scouted that that Maryland secondary. Some players have come out of that secondary of the last couple of years, and he said, at some points you couldn't tell if it was still or another guy that he was scouting in that secondary. But let's go back to the first round two money, because the tackles flew off the board. So I really think Roma Dudesay or Malik Neighbors were the two wide receivers that you probably could have selected at five.
Speaker 1: But if you.
Speaker 2: Select one of those those guys at five, who's there at thirty four or thirty seven when they were picking at tackle, nobody there was nobody there a tackle, So you get the best tackle in the draft, and then I think you get one of the best fits for this offense in Lad mccaukey in the second round. And Joe Klatt said this, I think to Rich Eisen and I one hundred percent agree with this, and I think this is a good way to look at it. If you're a Charger fan, do you want Justin Herbert to be in second and eleven and third and long or do you want him to be third and five, second and five with a running game and with protection. And if you put Justin Herbert in situations that are a little bit more manageable on second and third down, he's going to light people up. So the running game is going to help Justin Herbert protecting Justin Herbert's paramount, especially because he's the franchise and now you have bookends and Rashaun Slater and Joe Alt for the next decade, protecting your franchise quarterback. So I think it's a good way to look at it is that there would have been no tackles even close to the caliber of Joe Alt available in the second round.
Speaker 1: No, I I think you know then you can play the exercise out multiple ways. One is like that, you know that, look, Joe Walt's the number you got, the number one tackle in a draft, a blue chip prospect that pretty much anybody that covers the draft describes as can't miss as the highest floor player perhaps of any position in the draft. He and Marvin Harrison Junior, the floor is just so incredibly high you cannot visualize either of those players not at least being just rock solid average to above average NFL starter is and the ceiling is so high that they could end up being the best player at their position after that. So that's what you take with your number five overall, pick the number one guy at his position at a premium position. We get the number one guy at the premium position. Not you know, Marvin Harrison Junior went right before you, So you were picking perhaps behind who you had as the number one guy, but instead you get number one at a premium position. Behind him, you get a wide receiver that is anywhere from five to seven. That's pretty much where Matt mcfruckey was coming in and like, to me, I'm a big believer in this, and it was sort of one of the things that we you know, discussed last year when they drafted Quintin which I totally understood the pick and the traits and what you saw. I just you know, when we were talking about it and going into that draft, what what did we mention? We said, Hey, man, give me the route runner, give me the explosiveness. That to me, that is a better projection of NFL success than any trait a wide receiver could have better than a four to two forty, better than six foot three, and can move, you know, in is an athlete. Show me the guy that's got the footwork, that understands how to get in and out of breaks, that creates separation, that makes himself available with a wide target for his quarterback. And that's Lad McConkie and spades. I mean, that's that's what he does. He's he's got probably the best footwork of any receiver in this draft. Like it's crazy. Don't look at his stats. Go watch some Lad McConkey highlights and watch how he sets guys up and gets in and out and you know, so why did he slide? Then? You know why did a guy that Matt Harmon came on here and described him as Tyler Lockett knowing how you know impactful that guy is and how many teams would line up to have him as a wide receiver. And I think that's interesting because Tyler plays on the outside even though he's a smaller guy, you know, And that's what a lot of people say about Lad mccacky. He's not a slot. He can play outside and you know, I do think you can maybe draw this. You can you can connect these two, right, Okay, So what's in Seattle? Became that Calf? Why did he slide just kind of ran one or two routes and you know, had some issues with refinement. Well you hire his wide receiver coach. That helped develop them into one of the greatest threats in the NFL. He's paired up with Tyler Lockett. Well maybe now with you know, with Quinton, you're like, okay, let's see if we can get Let's see if we can crack this code. And now you've got your Tyler Lockett, and you hope is at least somebody who was built like him. DK Metcalf with Josh Palmer just picking up where Keenan left off. You know what did Josh always say to us, He just all he did was shadow keen and everywhere he went, everything he did, that was his that was his process. I want to be the next Keenan Allen. And that's how maybe you can visualize this thing working out. I don't know if Quentin's an AX. I don't know that. I don't think we saw anything that would suggest he was last year. So that's the part of this that's got to be worked on. But that's where Brennan, Rice and and Cornelia gosh, what's his name, Jolis Johnson come into play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who knows if that wide receiver room is still incomplete, maybe they do add a veteran just for competition to training camp. I don't think it's a.
Speaker 1: Bad eye in it now. Some guys aren't going to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt about that. Also with mccaukey, keep in mind he's sharing a field with Brock Bowers. Adie Mitchell was there before he went to Texas, So you know you're not going to be able to put up like ridiculous number when you have like first second round picks on your team over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: So I was quick before we move off of lad Chris, I do want to add because Jim Harbaugh said it, and I think this is this is super important. It's it's route running, but it's also transition, and it's that transition of catch point. And we talked again this goes back to two pods ago with Matt Harmon. What do you view as we were talking about Roman Wilson and I can't remember who else we were talking about, but just I think it might have been a don say just snatching the ball in immediately transitioning, you know, it was it's do you have those solid hands at that catch point and can you immediately transition into a runner after the catch is secured? And how fast can you do that? And that's one of the things that everybody brought up about brock Bauers is how incredibly elite Unlike almost all tight end prospects, you see, the way that guy transitions from catch to run after is better than anybody we've seen. That's what Jim Harbaugh said about mcconkeye. He's like, hey, when this guy gets the ball in his hands, as soon as it's there, bang it is on. And and that's when he planted. When you plant that seed and you all go and you watch some some highlights and some some some film of some games of Lad McConkie, that's what you're gonna see. It's just that catch and then boom, he's off in a different direction. He recognizes where he needs to be to, you know, to make the play as explosive as possible.
Speaker 2: All right, before I forget, uh, I can't tell you how many colts I've gotten about your Joe Old George Carleftis podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm getting.
Speaker 2: I'm getting requests like it's a DJ now. They want to they want they want a Ladd McConkey, they want a Ladd mccaukeey catch, and they want you to still keep George Carloftis in the play.
Speaker 1: So I don't know about that. Let me try to get my hat around it now. I'll try to get that at the end. Yeah, that's well. And by the way, I'm projecting that because and we're going to find out here in the next week or two, I won't be the least bit surprised. And I'd love it. I would absolutely love it if it's Chiefs Chargers to start the season on NBC on Thursday night. I know they have Buffalo, and I think they have Cincinnati as well, if I remember right, I think no, they definitely don't, because yeah, yeah they do. I think they have Cincinnati at home, and I think they have Buffalo at home exactly right, because yeah, yeah, I think so. Because right we have we have the Patriots, and we have who were last place in the East, and we have the NFC North or the FC North, so so it'll be one of us. But anyway, that's why I was doing the call on Carl Lofti's nothing against the great Greek from pretty you know how much I love for you players. But I was like, you know what, I could totally see us opening on Thursday night, get the Harbaugh Mahomes versus Herbert that to get it out of the way to kick off the season, you know, with a suit with two of the great football coaches, just real football guys, you know, and two guys that have a ton of respect. You'll get that shot before the game of those two guys just chopping it up, you know, talking football. And that's that's what's gonna be interesting, is I can't wait to just see the Jim Harbaugh with other head coach conversations, just how different they are, how different each one is. But I could totally see he and Andy Reid just getting along famously because they're both just total football junkies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was at the Chargers new practice facility on Friday getting a tour with Joe Alt and his dad, John, and I got to talk to John a little bit, who spent thirteen years with the Kansas City Chiefs, and he's over the moon for his son and just to be able to you know, he's gonna put on that powder blue. He said, I've already I've already switched over. We're good in the old household. So it'll probably be a fun moment for him to go to Arrowhead and see his son beat up on the team that he used to play for. That That interview with Joe is eric today on CBS this activision in Ky Call to Knight, So check that out if you're if you're listening to this on a Sunday. But buddy, let's let's keep rolling here. Third round, Uh, Junior Colson hand in glove fit. Like when Sanders still went off the board to the Commanders, I was like, oh, that would have been nice. That would have been nice in the third round. But you realize that Chris Jenkins was still there and Junior Colson was there, and then you know, Jenkins goes off the board to Cincinnati and you're like, Okay, well there's.
Speaker 1: Still some guys.
Speaker 2: Blake Koram's there, Junior Colson's there, and they get Colson. Uh, they fill that need at linebacker. They get the green dock guy who knows Jesse Miners defense and uh, the one highlight for me throughout the weekend where just these these phone calls with Jim Harball. Are the Chargers video team did it? Just an incredible job of capturing all the calls and just seeing how animated that war room was there. We have a clip. I'm gonna throw it to this. Uh Steven Melody and Junior Colson with with Coach.
Speaker 1: Harball, Junior.
Speaker 3: Coach calling, what's so? How are you doing? You're ready to be a Charger? Yes, sir, I am.
Speaker 2: You already know it.
Speaker 3: Who's got better than us?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 3: Man, nobody, Let's think it happened. It's happening.
Speaker 1: It's happening right now, right right now.
Speaker 3: You're ready TV.
Speaker 1: You Melanie? Yeah, yeah, my mom's right there.
Speaker 3: Let me see Hi, Coach, I'm Melody.
Speaker 2: How are you, Coach?
Speaker 1: I'm great, I'm great, so.
Speaker 2: Happy, Yes, sir, we love California, super excited, big coach.
Speaker 3: Hey, se are we doing Hell to the victor?
Speaker 1: Hell not cockering?
Speaker 3: He rose, Helma and yeah, hell to not cockering? Here the champions of the.
Speaker 1: West, Blue.
Speaker 2: And Coach singing the fight song too, Buddy, I mean, who's got it better than us? And the fact that he said that to every every guy and some of them were like no one, and he goes nobody.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, get it right, get it nobody that look the that that's and again tip of the cap to to the to the video team and and everybody you know, led by Jason. But you know, whether it's we can lie it, we can name them all off, you know, Tyler and and Brian and and Andrew and everything, Greg and all of our all of our guys that help us with the podcast as well. Just what a kick ass job they did. Like it really it really does remind you that, you know, these guys are so different and and it's where the word culture comes in. Let's let's get to let's get to the Kamani Vidal. Let's just get the calls out of the way here. Chris will knock them all out. Let's get the Kamani Vidal went in here, because this is my favorite moment of all of the calls that they shared at Chargers dot Com.
Speaker 3: It's coach Ken, Uh, you got where are you at? You got family there?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, I do? Are they excited?
Speaker 3: Are they excited?
Speaker 1: In the background.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, very very very excited.
Speaker 1: Let's hear him. Let's hear them.
Speaker 3: How excited are they?
Speaker 1: Let's hear them. That's wow, that's what we got.
Speaker 3: Some enthusiasm down man, We've got.
Speaker 1: Some shoes, all right, Oh yeah, let's test.
Speaker 2: Let's let's test the draft room here.
Speaker 3: How excited is everybody here?
Speaker 1: All right, let's go. And so they're like, can you imagine You've got you know, Dean and John and a g Spanos in there. You can see Jeanie the head of business in the background. Fred is like all of these people that we know that that are great, and we get to see a side of them that fans don't and we love being on the road with them or being at the facility with them, and we've gotten to know their personalities. But between ownership, you know, front office, business side staff, all those scouts. I just love that it's not only Vidal's you know, family that's being asked to how excited are you? But now all of a sudden, you've got all these people screaming and yelling, and it's just like, that's culture. That's what we're talking about. That's that enthusiasm. As he likes to say, you know, unknown to man, and that's what this guy is bringing, just that juice. And just imagine you hang up that phone if you're Comini Vidal and you've been waiting around until the sixth round, and you know you're maybe bummed, and you're like, god, I think I'm better than some of these guys. And I just I led the FBS and tackles broken in yards after contact and all these touchdowns and I got to I'm still sitting here, and you hang up that phone and you're like, let's go, man. I am, I Am, I Am. I just had an entire room of scouts and GMS and pro personnel and owners screaming and yelling because they're excited I'm coming to town. Like there's just something so different about him than anybody else you could play for.
Speaker 2: It feels good to be wanted to when you're a draft picks, especially late, you know you're bummed that you didn't go as high as you thought you were gonna go. And we'll get to Brendan Rice, but yeah, to have that support, and I have to believe money that fans feel it too. Like we've interviewed Joe on this podcast and just to hear him talk throughout this weekend. I thought he did a bang up job. And he's just such a personable like I feel like fans should feel like they're a part of this family, right Joe. Joe comes across as just like a friend, a buddy, a family member. And the way that he shouted out everybody from Josh and the communications crew, to Duddy and the video crew, to Weedmeire and just everybody that went into the draft and made it what it was right. It takes a team effort from video to communications to film, and I really feel like they're building this culture where everybody is involved, including the fans, and it's a special thing to watch. And it's only been a few months.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said it. There are all names that we know that maybe die hard fans, no, but it is great. People like to be acknowledged for all the work they're putting in. And I don't know if anyone's ever you know, tipped the cap to our man Duddy. We love Duddy. He's one of the great just energy guys. You know, you get on a plane after a win, he gets on, he starts barking, and he's just he's awesome. And so to get you know, in this big moment where you have a huge press, so that a lot of people are paying attention to uh, Smitty. We love Chris, who's who's always there for me. We go on the road and I am a I'm a bit absent minded and can be an absolute and can be a total mess. And I'll forget a sweatshirt or a polo. It's too hot and all I brought was a sweatshirt. And the booth is right in the path of the sun. And I'll give Chris a call and be like, hey, bit, he's got you. I get a polo? Man, can I get? I get something? I am cooking up here and I don't feel like sweating my brains out for sixty minutes calling this game. And you know, people that that we that we appreciate and that that we rely upon. I love that that Joe made sure to reach out. And Chris, by the way, is the guy in the in the video with Joe giving him the number one who's probably about the same. I think I might be a little bit taller than Smitty, but just to put it in perspective, you know, I'm clocking in a little over five ten here to see he looked like he was four foot two and in that jersey Joe left. You know, Chris is probably in that five to nine range, and he looked like he was about four foot two standing next to Alt. And I think that's one of the other things that really came out of this is after the you know, some of the people and I look, we were obviously you know how I felt about the Joe Alt pick. I was all over it and loved it. I think it's a statement pick. But for all the incoming that the organization took that that, you know, people for whatever reason decided to air their grievances with me and my mentions. I'm just someone who's projecting what I think is going to happen and what I personally would would like to see happen. Whatever. But yeah, I got a lot of it. And and I think now they recognize now when all these people are like, my god, look at this human being. Look at how and you were able to stand next to him and walk around the tour and you're like that big and that athletic with that you know, bloodline of a guy that played for double you know, decade plus as a tackle in the league. Okay, now we get it. Now, if one guy, Yeah, you want to bet on one guy to come out of this thing, that's I don't. I have no question that's the guy I would put my money on. It's not even close. I'm going to bet on one guy to make a Pro Bowl in the next two years. He's the first guy I would put my money on.
Speaker 2: I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but I think he gave up like two sacks of his career Notre Dame, like two one two penalties, two penalties like just he's and he's twenty one years old. Man, right, he's nearly six ' nine. He's gigantic, and like I know that coach said Rashaw had locked in a left tackle, but who's to say it a couple of years they switch. I it's I think it's such a luxury to have two guys who are so talented and versatile that are go to protect Justin for for as long as as long as they have him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and that was the other thing that coach said right after that pick. We you know when we did it, we did it before you know the press and all the or maybe we didn't. I don't know. I don't remember if they had talked or not, but you know, best five, so you know, if Trey wants to to get out.
Speaker 2: Here, he said Trey was best five too, so.
Speaker 1: He's say, hey, there you go, start working on being a guard dude, you know, and now if you've got him. And obviously they did not draft the center. They had multiple opportunities to do that. We talked about Norris Ad and Bordelini. They had chances to do that. But they must feel good about Bozeman and perhaps about the potential that one of these guys could become a center. So it's it's you feel good about that group. I think we all feel like we said a lot better about the wide receiver room today than we did on Thursday night. And that's why we said it's nine picks and there's still free agency. There is now still no comp pick formula to worry about. Now you've got that second wave of free agency where you can start looking at some of these vets that that you might think. But remember right now, there's already seven guys in that room. So there's not going to be seven guys in that room at the started season, So that's kind of something you got to remember when it comes to trying to figure out how you're going to get this thing to line up.
Speaker 2: You know, another need on this team we talked about throughout this process was a defensive tackle. Defensive line, just continue to bolster it. And right off the rip, Day three, Justin a boy bee from Alabama, who I guess it's hard to go under the radar at Alabama, but apparently he did up until this year had a breakout season. Dan Brugler talked about it. DJ called Justin a temperament pick because of his effort, his toughness, his physicality, and obviously Jim Harbaugh saw this guy up close last year at the Rose Bowl. And that's one of the themes I think throughout this process is I don't think he played against Notre Dame when Joe Alt was there, but he's got a coach on the staff that knows Joe Alt, Ladi McConkey. They played against Junior Colson, he coached a boy Bee, saw him up close, and this is a pick that I really liked because everything you hear in terms of his effort is toughness, his physicalit and the fact that he could play a lot of different positions across the line. Them getting their hands on Justin I think could be a good thing in his rookie season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think one thing that jumps out to me from you know, Junior, from Junior Colson, Justin a Boydbee and Lad McConkey is you're talking about and this is something you hear through the draft process and I think some people don't quite get it. It's like whatever, but do you love football in the NFL? You have to love football because man, it will beat you to a pulp. Your body is going to take a pounding and if you don't love it's that's going to catch up. It's going to catch up. And your willingness to turn plays down or your willingness to get back out there after injury. You know, are you injured or are you hurt? Oh I'm hurt, but I don't feel like playing because I don't love football. Man. This is a great opportunity for make a lot of money in a very small window, but it's not something that I love. Look at those three guys, right Lag McConkie back injury, coming back from that, to get back out there and fight and get on the field to try to win a national championship game. You know, Justin mcboygbe just a horrible, just tragedy in his life and losing his brother and also a neck injury that some people thought could be career ending. Through all of that, realizing how much he loves football and just wanted to get back on the field and this is not going to be career ending. And Junior Colson, you know who, he said, played with one and one hand was completely broken. The other hand had two broken fingers, and he's going out there two broken bones and he's take whatever, just tape them both up. We got it with national championship to win. I think that's like those are important guys too, you know. And then Joe, you know, and then even the other like we said, Joe Alt. Listen to that guy, watch those promotional videos. Listen to him talk about dominating and what it means to him to go out there and how much he just loves it in the camaraderie and that that room and what it means, you know, to him to be one of those fingers on that glove. Like there's a very common theme in a lot of these players and I think the idea of some adversity that that also plays a part in Hey, these are you know, and look, football is in adversity sport. The majority you have to be you know, you've got to have a little something going on in order to be willing to do what these guys are willing to do, just in general. But that is something that jumped out at me from a character standpoint. Some of that there was that connection between a number of these picks.
Speaker 2: You heard Jill Ortiz say, you know, the best player available for the Chargers, right, these are the traits that they were identifying to. The toughness, the competitiveness, and you know, I think you're one hundred percent spot on when when you talk about fighting through adversity and some of the things that that Colson and boyd By have been through on the field off the field. To h to really have that translate with the Chargers is going to be huge. And you know you talk about the defensive line for the Chargers. You got Khalil. By the way, I saw Khalil and Morgan Fox courtside at the Laker game last night. They were in the mix. Caleb Williams was there, the Bear New Bears quarterback. But I saw he had Morgan and Khalil had better seats than Caleb. But that that defensive line, that defensive line coming together, the mix of veterans and then you know guys who they have drafted the last couple of years. Where do you see a boy bee fitting in across this line?
Speaker 1: I guess we'll find out competition. He's a big body, you know. I'm just pulling up his six five ninety two. He's a big guy, you know. And he had had a great grade in that in that game, had fourteen key plays that he was part of. In the playoff game against Michigan, was out there for fifty two snaps, twenty eight against the run, twenty four in a pass rush. Like you said, this was his first full year as a start, and you watched the highlights from this year. All seven of those sacks. Some of them are explosion plays where he just sheds the guy right away. Some of them are you know, just fight through it, never stop until a beat after the whistle, plays where he does not let the play die, thinking that maybe someone's just opening downfield. Now you keep kept with it another sack. The thing also that I noticed is they line him up all over. He's he's lined up his nose, he's lined up his three four I two I, you know, inside the tackle. He's lined up wide as as a six outside the tight end. So very similar to Tooley where and Joey where. Now jesse Minner is probably like, yeah, this is my guy, man. We can we can put him inside, we can put him outside, we can we can mix this this up on the front with Morgan Fox and you know, with with boy b with Tooley, with Bosa, with Khalil, where you don't know where it's coming from. And that's one of the things about jesse Minner and and and you know him and the McDonald defense as well, So you don't know where it's coming from. That's that's the key. It's the old simulated pressure that you hear so much about. And so to be able to have someone that can rush, to have Bosa Tooley and now a boy who can rush from the inside or USh from the edges, that's a huge you know, I have enough bend and speed to rush from the edge, is enough power to rush from inside. That's a huge advantage for this defense. So that's and that was something they desperately need. I think a lot of people as I kind of pull up, I want to pull up the fourth here, and just to remind myself of what corners were still on the board. Yes, he had Kyrie Jackson go right after him, you had, you had Richardson nice tweet, raiders go at it, you know, just right after him. And yeah, so to me, like again, BP a best player available. Yeah, well we'll figure it out with corner. But nobody is higher than a bugbe right now for us. And it also happens to be a position of need, So that's it's. Yeah, I think he's I think every one of these players. I will not be surprised when you think about the corner room and it being Santae, Samuel Jr. Dean Leonard, Jaseir Taylor, and now you add cam Hart Anti he's still to that mix. I think it's wide open. I wouldn't be the least bit to surprise to see one of those two fifth rounders out there at Christian Fulton I forgot as well. So yeah, chances are it's gonna be a Sante and Christian and then we'll see if I can still be the slot you know, or or could could you know, is cam Hart at his six foot three, four to four speed, you know, gonna be one of those outside guys and you push, you know, one of these other guys inside. I don't know that there's because I know they did say that Still had inside outside versatility, so maybe he's the starting nickel. But it's gonna be fun. It's it's gonna be a competition at every one of these positions, and I think you're going to see a lot of these young players play immediately.
Speaker 2: As Jim said, competitors are welcome. Tarheve Still and cam Hart the next two players off the board, both corners. Uh Still from Maryland. Michigan played Maryland. And this is the This is just the advantage that I think this coaching staff is going to have going in the next year is seeing guys uploads and personal in the Big ten and then having guys that you've coached, right, So Junior Colson comes in, Jesse Mener coached him, Cam Hart comes in. Safety's coach. Chris O'Leary coach Cam Hart at Notre Dame. I think he was a freaks list guy too. Bruce Velvin voiceless guy right, six three two oh two. So with Cam Heart, we're talking about all the traits that translate. I believe that he played wide receiver if I'm not mistaken, to start his career similar to a Richard Sherman like Jim Harbaugh comp and then you talk about still Hortiz said that inside outside versatility, being able to play outside, also being able to play nickel. This is gonna be a competition. And I wouldn't be shocked if if one of these guys gets substantial playing time this upcoming season.
Speaker 1: Immediately, Yeah, I mean, like, so why does a why does a freaks list guy slide? And that's you know, there's different reasons. There's traits guys there are, you know, which is what he is. He's a trades guy. At the same time, he only allowed I think one or two receptions over twenty five yards this past season. So but you know, they talk about, oh, what's the issue. There's a little bit of stiffness there, a little lack of fluidity, got a little handsy, you know. It was kind of all those sort of things that will knock you down. But that's what coaches are for. That's why coaches get paid, you know, coach them up here here's a guy, like you said, and I want to make sure I get I want to get it all right. But here's, like you said, someone who's coming in a legitimate full six foot three. I don't remember what his wingspan is. I do know it's freakish though it's it's it's a freakish wingspan. He just didn't have like the ball production at Notre Dame. Yeah, that the PBUs and the i iNTS aren't there. But you know, he's a guy that comes out with an elite grade from this past year from PFF. And and again you know how I feel about their grades. It's the last thing I look at. But as I'm pulling it up, it's it's certainly the one thing that jumps out at you. And that's that's so. So you're basically still is the production guy and Heart is the trades guy. That's what that's what you took. Still had great production numbers, and Heart has the traits, So why not take one of each in the fifth round and let's see what you can do. And again that that's in addition to what trades guy Dean Leonard and and someone that we've seen play pretty well when asked to start and play some snaps in John Taylor. So now you feel a lot better about that corner room. And you didn't have to use a first you didn't have to trade down and you know, and take a corner and add that first pick or whatever. And who knows what was available to them. You know, some people say that the Jets wanted to jump up to number five and that that was there and that that was a possibility. Whatever they get. The number one tackle set the tone and I think, you know, based on what their evaluations are, where we thought some of these players, I mean still I think is the only one that and Johnson are the only two that you really were like, okay, maybe they reached the lit little bit, but they're higher on the chargers board than anybody else's board, you know, but everybody else is. You know, Colson was expected to go in the second maybe high second. McConkie was thought to be a back end of the first, very very high second guy either right where he was supposed to go, or you got a value there, a boy be. When you think about the production, I think that seems about right. There weren't a lot of interior tackles outside of those top players.
Speaker 2: Joe said they had some third grade, third round grades and maybe a couple of second round grades on.
Speaker 1: A boy B. So yeah, so so there you go. And then obviously Brnnan Rice, which we're going to get to super just incredible value in the seventh round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real quick. Kim Hart, So I'm from the DMV area. He went to the rival high school, Good Council. He was the number ninety seven wide receiver nationally coming out of Maryland, number twelve player from Maryland, number thirty two wide receiver Nashley, number eight player from Maryland. So he goes into college as a wide receiver, and I believe that's how Richard Sherman's path was right played.
Speaker 1: Well, he played. Richard Sherman played a couple of years as a wide receiver and when when Harbaugh got hired, he did that with a lot of guys and that that's something that if you want to change the culture, coaches will tend to do. They'll flip it. They'll they'll flip you know, full backs, the linebackers, wide receivers to corners. And yeah, that's what he did with Sherman. And you see how that played out. So and Cam Heart certainly you could tell was emotional in the video that they had to him. Thought he should have gone a lot higher. And again, if you're not going to get drafted in the first in the first round, where you get that guaranteed, you know, four or five years with the with the option go to the go to where you fit invest man and get to your second Contract's what it's all about. And I'm sure you know both cam Hart and Still and all these guys Vidal, Rice, they're all pretty darn excited they're going to end up here and have an opportunity to make all that money on that second contract because they landed in a really good situation for them.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm looking at the next guy's up here. Kamai Vidal.
Speaker 1: The running back from Troy's a fun video to watch, by the way, folks, go go over to YouTube and watch the Kamani Vidal highlights from from Troy. He's first of all, we got Tangleman, we got.
Speaker 2: We got the great nephew of Hank Aaron and the son of Jerry Rice back to back with that, So.
Speaker 1: Like I wouldn't overlook that. With the Rice thing, you know, he doesn't want to be a coach guy's made just tens of millions of dollars. He gets paid to indoors. He doesn't have the coaching is a grind. And I don't think you can overlook, you know, coach Harbaugh who was with the Raiders when Jerry was there in the twilight of his career, thinking yeah, you know, maybe maybe rookie camp, maybe maybe Jerry wants to kind of hang out. Wouldn't mind him in this how young, this wide receiver room is. See if you can get Jerry over there talking to Quinton a little bit, you know, training camp, mini camps. You know, not a bad deal. He al right, Wardan will come out, want to hang out, hang out and you know, watch Brennan. You're you're more than welcome. Doors open for you, man. I don't think, hey John, all thirteen years you want to kind of come out and hang out with dev and Nick Hardwick and watch your son. We we'd love to have you out there on the field. Free, free to come on out here and you know, chop it up. Just just hang out and if you see anything, just wait and go ahead. Like I don't. I don't think there's anything. I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that that that could be also just a fringe benefit of those two guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, uh Vadoll five eight, two thirteen. Between the tackles runner physical, can catch the ball, can can pass protect, and he'll be another running back in that room competing for touches money.
Speaker 1: Again, all I would say, like the stats are are one thing, and the stats are incredible, like that is one Yeah, go go look at the stats. Go look at at at Kamani vidalts as at matter. I'll just give him to you right now because they're stupid if and again I don't think they have the advanced stats here. They don't.
Speaker 2: Sixteen sixty one one thousand, six hundred and sixty one yards in FBS last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah so, but it's the it's the yards after contact, it's the broken tackles, it's the mistackles. So just go watch, go watch the highlights, and and and again it's it's Sunbelt. Sun Belt's pretty damn competitive. It's it's not, you know, a power five, but at the same time, it's and he got better every year every year, you know, played fourteen games last year, played fourteen games this year, went from eleven hundred and thirty to sixteen hundred and sixty, went from four nine to five six to carry, went from ten touchdowns to fourteen touchdowns. But he's I don't I hate putting comparisons on because I you know, the the I don't want to stick a label on him, but watching him just for me, and and a lot of this goes back to you know what your frame of reference is. But I remember calling a lot of Oregon State games and Quiz Rogers just short but thick, and even though he was small, you're like, my god, this guy is tossing six foot one linebackers like they don't have a chance against him. And he's just so low to the ground, and that lateral quickness and that jump cut ability, that's what jumped out. I mean, I don't know if he has the same I don't know. I don't I don't have it in front of me. I don't know if he has the same explosiveness as as Quiz. Quiz was explosive. But he's got receptions. He's got, you know, receiving tds, he's got, So that's all there. So there's there's a lot that to me looks like that that to me looks like a guy that's gonna stay. That's that that's not a sixth rounder. That's hey, let's see if we can sneak him through on the practice squad. I'd be very surprised if if it wasn't, you know, because look, that's a stacked room now too, Elijah Dotson, you know, we know what they thought of him and through training camp last year. Obviously, Spillers might be younger than Vandal for all I know, you know, because he was so he was the youngest player in the draft two years ago and and Vandals a four year guy. So it's possible that Isaiah Spiller is still younger than him. But to me, that's that's going to be a hell of a camp battle. Which one of those guys is the third bat. Because you already got Ben Mason as your fullbacks, you're carrying a full back. They signed him and they want him. Jim Rba likes playing with a full back, so they're going to carry three, and that's going to be a hell of a battle between those three guys, between Vidal, Spiller, and Dotson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vodal, you know, you talk about the competition level. We just had a guy leave from Western State, who was with her, who was with the Charges for seven years at Austin Eckler. Right, you know, so competition necessarily. You know, if you could play ball, you could play ball. And uh Vodal is definitely going to be in the mix in that that running back room which I'm just so fascinated by. We know Gus Edwards is going to be there if JK. Dobbins is back to form, we know what he is going to provide, and he could be really the dark horse in terms of just really breaking out and comeback player that year, tight capability in an offensive line centric Charges offense the last.
Speaker 1: Tier for Chris, I'm at the NFKFF page right now, the PFF ultimate page. So yeah, this is what guy had. Three hundred carries, right, three hundred and five carries. We talked about the overall numbers they have him with seventeen forty seven. They have yards after contact eleven to fifteen, and that's not that big of a deal. A lot of times that can just speak to you don't have a great offensive line, so you know you got somebody there and you're just kind of getting bumped off of them and you're trying to make something happen. So but to me, it's this miss tackles forced on runs ninety eight misstackles. That's not yards after contact, that's not a little you know shit, that's if that's to be accurate, misce tackles per attempt zero point three to two thirty two percent. So you know you're talking about a mistackle, mistackle forced on every third run like that's that to me speaks to strength, elusiveness, explosiveness, being able to work three arm tackles and stuff. And that's what you get when you're five eight. That's small, that elusive and two hundred and fifteen pounds. I mean, my gosh, that is that is an incredible amount of weight and power to carry on a frame at five foot eight.
Speaker 2: Best player available for the Chargers, as as Joe Ortiz said before they dressed the Joe allt and it goes all the way down to Bataal in the second in the sixth round rather seventh round two receivers. We talked about commodity of it all in the sixth Brendan Rice going in the seventh and by all indications, everybody that we spoke to or who had a big board had Brendan Ryece going in the fourth round, maybe the third round. I think Dane Brugler had him in like one.
Speaker 1: Five up Danes. I'm pulling up Danes list right now. So he had Rice ranked as his let's see, where is it. I'm looking right here as his eighteenth receiver, third to fourth round grade.
Speaker 2: Okay, So why did he drop money? Why do we think he dropped?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I think because the productions there, right, twelve touchdowns, that's there, and the yards were.
Speaker 2: Catch seventeen point six in the PAC twelve, so that's there.
Speaker 1: My guess is probably needs to needs to shore up some route running, you know, like we said, that's that's something that is more valuable than anything. So here's weaknesses. Average separation. Separation's important what we talked about with Mconkie's the best separator in the draft. Doesn't consistently play up to his size, loses battles against physical corners below average on fifty to fifty balls, accelerates well out of break tendency to get a head start and round select routes, body strength to slip off the jam, and needs to develop his release techniques. Willing, an aggressive blocker, but inconsistent in space. Never let the team in catches or receiving yards in any of the season. So there's the weaknesses from Dane. But at the same time, this is a seventh round pick. It's a guy who's six oh two three, so he's just he's six two and a third, he's two hundred ten pounds, he's got massive he's got nine to five eighths in tan's got seventy eight inch wing spanning. He's a four to five to forty guy. And he's Jerry Rice's kid, and he put up twelve touchdowns for SC last year. So in the seventh round kidding me like that, that's someone that I would absolutely be willing to bet on.
Speaker 2: And then right after that, Cordelius Johnson from Michigan, somebody that Jim Harbaugh knows. The one thing that it stood out to me is in here ring Chad Alexander talk about him perhaps the best blocking wide receiver in the entire draft. So this guy's going to help you on special teams if he can block. He has a job, you would think, and he'll compete in that room. I think lanzerol I talked about his route running leaves a lot to be desired.
Speaker 1: But yeah, other than a lot of production there, so so not a lot of production. But you said it. You know, the way you have to build special teams now is going to be different. You're going to get bigger guys out there. It's not necessarily just your smaller fast corners that you want. You're going to start putting linebackers, bigger wide receivers out there because of the way that that kickoff is going to work moving forward. So that's you know, that's kind of what you're speaking to there, Chris, is that this is someone that's got a chance to make the team because of what he can do on the special team side. So but now you got seven receivers in that room, right, Semi Fojoco, Josh Palmer, Darius Davis, and Quinton We're already there and now you add these three. So that's going to be all of a competition. And who knows what happens in free agency. You know, if there is a Michael Thomas or a Tyler Boyd or one of these guys where there's not a compic involved now that you'd be interested in bringing in, and what that means for that room. So and that's good. It's better to have a better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Speaker 2: So do we think at Joshua paulber wide receiver one right now and Lad mcconukey two or Flick.
Speaker 1: I don't think of it as a one to two or a three. I just think of who can you put out there and how do they fit? You know, is josh the X because he's been asked to play X when Keenan's out there and Mike's out and he's been able to excel at that. Is he the slot because that's sort of what he has done his first three years here, is just shadow Keenan and be that big slot and try to replicate everything Keenan did, where the majority of those you know as the best slot receiver in the NFL, which is what Keenan's been for the majority of his career. You know, mconukey to me is more of a z I think you know he did. He's not the biggest guy. He's one hundred and eighty pound and sort of that was one of the knocks on him is that it's hard to put weight on it's been hard for him to keep weight on. So it's hard to be an X when you're when you're that light unless you're really good, you know, unless you're just really good in your initial your your initial burst and you know, off the snap where you can shed that press quickly and they can't even get their hands on you, which wouldn't surprise me. He played seventy percent of his snaps outside. He can play outside. I just don't know if it's as a Z or as an X, and then can you work with quick because look, Quinton's built like an X. That's that's six three two fifty pounds, fifteen pounds. He should be an X, you know, he should have the strength and with the explosion numbers that he has, the vert, the broad the forty like that, that's all X. I don't know why it's not lining up, So it's perhaps coaching mental what he was asked to do. So if you can, if you can make that work, then that's you know, That's that's how I would see it. Is that And by the way, how often is this team going to be in a lie? Even I don't think very often. I would be really surprised if they're that's a good point.
Speaker 2: That's probably key point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like this is a team to me, that's that's going to be playing with full back, running back. That's it's gonna be playing in twenty one or it's gonna be playing in twelve more often than not. So this is not a This is not a heavy eleven personnel team, is you know, from from what I would imagine. So I think that's where the whole Maybe it's not which three are out there, it's which two are out there, and that's where the Cornelius Johnson comes in because he can block his tail off and maybe he's out there for a lot of these plays.
Speaker 2: Also, I saw a video if you go on X or TikTok or whatever, Quentin Johnson working out with Barbaron Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This this this offseason and leading up to the draft process for for Marvin, and.
Speaker 1: That's great for him. Yeah, you know, get those X reps in man, you know, if that's if that's what the team said, and that's what they believe you can be and and they can instill because that's the thing with Q. It's not physical, it's all mental. It's all concentration and it's all confidence with him because he's fast enough, he's big enough. Part you know, here we are with the Stuart Smalley, right, you know, he's big enough, he's fast enough and got got it. He should be catching these balls. So I think it's just a for me. It's it's finding that right coach that can crack that code and say all we're doing is we are just tracking the football over your head. That's what we're working on. Once, because you've got the speed. I mean, we saw it in the Green Bay game. He's wide open, he's beating the corner, he shook off the press, he's got two steps and he just couldn't concentrate to haul it in, which would have been a win. And maybe the Jordan love story has never written, you know, because they're they're two in or whatever, they're three and six at that point and they don't have a chance to take off. And that's that's what we're talking about. So I think that's sort of the way because I had somebody when I had posted something on Twitter about now can we relax? Now do you see you take the tackle one? And there is no At the time when I tweeted it, I was like, there's not been another tackle taken where it picked like sixty five and no other tackle has gone yet. There's a ton of wide receivers that have flown off the board because of how deep the position group was. And that's what you have to do, all right, if we take our wide receiver here, which are we getting to tackle here? And so that in that clearly was no, you're not, They're gonna all yes, and yes, it's set the record for the most tackles taken in the first round of the NFL Draft. They were gone. Teams were jumping up like crazy to get those guys. So and when I brought that up, they're like, well, there's you a wide receiver one. And I was like, it doesn't matter. It does not matter. Do you have the personnel on the field that you need to be on the field. Is he a starter? Put whatever number you want next to McConkey. He's a starter. He's gonna get a ton of snaps because of the way he separates the routes that he runs, and just visualizing him as a Keenan Allen type player for Justin to make himself available and be exactly where he's supposed to be with the separation he's supposed to have.
Speaker 2: The number one thing Quentin Johnson eats in year two is confidence. He's just these confidence and and this is the coaching staff and the coaches to instill it. And I said this on Thursday. Everybody was peppering Joe and Jim with questions about the wide receiver, and listen, it's it's it's they're good questions because Justin heeds weapons excuse me, and he says bye. By the sound of all these questions. Let's not bet against Joshua Palmer and Quinton Johnson too. And that's what I love about what Jim Harball is as a leader is he's always got his guys backs, and he's going to try to instill confidence in the guys who are in that room right now. And let's not give up on Quintin. He was a first round pick for a reason. He had all the trades. He had some tough moments, but guess what, the entire team last year had tough moments. And you could point to a lot of different players who are still on this roster and who are no longer here that had tough moments last year in a in a season that I don't think anybody expected last thing about out the wide receiver's money. Our producer Shorten Air Andrew just sent me this this thing on Brenda Rice Ig yesterday.
Speaker 1: I just want to read it real quick.
Speaker 2: Yesterday I began to drop four rounds from where I was supposed to go. Today, I laid my brother to rest in Dallas. He was at a funeral yesterday trying to mourn, but also waiting for a phone call. I don't know what happened to me to drop, but I'm glad God gave me the ability to focus on him, and I felt as a God as well as Keith brought me back to my faith. Now the journey up the mountain once again, you will feel my pain. So you have a motivated player coming in here who doesn't have to go far. And he talked about throughout this process wanting to play for a guy like coach Harpball.
Speaker 1: He gets his wish. Yeah, it is so much more important to go to the right situation as a seventh round pick than the wrong situation as a third round pick. I fully believe that football is so circumstantial, and careers at every position have been made and ruined based on fit and coaching and how you're used and what you have around you. So you if you're let me just kind of pull up. If you go in if you go in the third to Carolina, or you go in the third to New York, or you go on the third. And I'm not trying to take shots at those quarterbacks, but I'm just saying, let's like, let's say you're going in the third to Pittsburgh, you know, or you're going in the third to just pick any of them, you know, Baltimore, Or you're going to go to a place where they're stacked at wide receiver like Tampa, but they already got Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Are you going to Cincinnati where they've already got you know, Jamar Chase. Hey man, this thing's open. There's competition, and you got Justin Herbert throwing you the football. There are going to be opportunities for you to catch the ball. And that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It is all about opportunity, circumstance, the ability to Like I saw Joel talking Joe Klatt talking about how everybody's wondering, what, you know, what the Falcons are thinking. He's like, what about what Michael Pennix is thinking. It's a guy who's twenty three years old, is the most pro ready quarterback in the draft, and he's got a GM and a presser saying we could let him sit for four or five years, and I'm like four or five years, I'm ready to go now, Like I'm the most pro ready of all these guys. I've got five years under my belt.
Speaker 2: I wish you had to talk about that pick, by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's just one of those like that's the thing with Brendan Rice is, Hey, you're gonna have opportunities. You know, you are going to have opportunities to play. And we've seen it. You know, we've seen late round picks and undrafted free agents become great players. It's not out of the ordinary. So I know, I know for certain that I'm sure they're very happy that they were able to take him and get all that value it. And that's going to be a heck of a competition. Man. It's because they're not all gonna make it. They're not carrying seven wide receivers. So the one I'm interested in, because you want to talk about playing with fire so you got the best, one of the best returners in football, you know, and Darius Davis, but how much can you use him as a wide receiver now? And with the explosiveness and elusiveness of lad McConkie, does that become a battle for a spot?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Is Darius Davis in trouble despite having this incredible rookie season as a returner because McConkie is a four to three guy with elusiveness and can fill that role, you know. So that's I think something to keep an eye. Just then it comes to these seven guys and getting it down to five, you know, sot like how much team that doesn't need wide receivers really because the way they're gonna play foball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like how much you're gonna put on Malconukye's played if if if you if you are gonna be a rd centric team and say, hey, we think Black can handle this too. It makes it interesting because Darius Davis was awesome last year, so like it'd be crazy, he'd be like that, it'd be twenty five teams right now.
Speaker 1: They'd be like, put the way is why I don't think it's realistic that that's it. But there's gonna they all you know, there's there's there is. It was a it was a light room. Now it's a heavy room and it's gonna have to get somewhat lighter. So not everyone's going to be staying in there, and it'll be interesting to see which ones end up making through the whole process.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of yesterday. We were with A Lohi Gilman on Thursday, sixth round pick got a second contract with the Charges, and his advice to the rookies were you come in listen now now it doesn't matter the the the pick you were, the round you were selected is all out the window. And we've seen guys we talked about Austin Ekl early undrafted guy, A Loohi Gilman, sixth round. I just I go back to twenty eighteen. Justin Jackson and his contry to getting that team to where they went to twelve and four that year. Was a hero at Sunday Night Football against the Steelers, scored a touchdown on Thursday Night Football against the Chiefs. You can get these late round picks that can make immediate impacts in year one and Brendan Rice and guys like Cornelia should take heat and know that, hey, we have a chance now to make an impact. And you know Jim Harball is going to play the best players who are the most competitive that that buy into what he's selling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. And it's you know, I'll leave it with this of the draft in totality, like the thing that jumps out at me again, I'll go back to where I started with the Junior Colson pick, right, Like imagine saying, hey, would you like to spend the money on Kenneth Murray and keep Eric Kendricks around, or I'm gonna give you Junior Coulson which one would rather have? Like it's crazy to think that's how impactful this guy is going to be that you would take him over Kenneth Murray, who got an eighteen million dollar deal from Tennessee Eric Kendricks, who's been one of the best linebackers, middle linebackers and the leaders in the NFL for the last ten years. And it's like, no, give me, give me number twenty five, give me give me Junior Colson. That's who I'd like to see leading a team with Derwin James, Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack on the same field as him when the when they take the snap, I want that guy to lead that unit. Like that's how exceptional a player they got at that position. And the idea that that that that the other side of that is, you know, the other side of the ball that now well you can only run left. The right side just has not been able to open any holes. And now every defense is just loading up on the left side because they know that's the only side you can run behind. So now you can't run the ball. The idea that you're going to have those two guys Slater and Alt is just complete dogs set in the tone on that side, you know, as tackles and the ability to run the football now with and we haven't even we barely talked about JK. Dobbins and just what I think that has the potential to be that that it could be a Gus Edwards JK. Dobbins if his injuries are right, Holy Kyle, talk about a pair of runners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, telling you, man, comeback player of the Year. That's he's got that, he's got that in him.
Speaker 1: They'll have the opportunities if they want to give him to him, no doubt uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know this will be for another podcast, but just I think about the class last year and the impact that those guys could make that we really didn't see last year, Big Fadden and and Henley, you know, talk about j T. Woods for a couple of years ago, like these are the players that you hope Jesse Mitzer and and Jim Harball can get the most out of two So like, you know, a lot of young guys Quentin Johnson of course, like who didn't contribute in the way that maybe we envisioned last year. They have an opportunity with this new regime to to make an impact to money.
Speaker 1: I'm so they didn't have. I'm okay, let me go back to Keenan's year, because I think Junior Colson has a chance to be the best third round pick since Keenan Allen and I don't think that's a stretch at all. So I'm even going to go before Keenan. What's another So Vincent Brown was pretty good? Okay, I'm trying to see here, who's the third? Nope? Nope, now who Charlie Whitehurst certainly not. I'm going through this Chargers. Okay, So let's say you got Keenan. Nick Hardwick was a third rounder in two thousand and four. So we're talking the last twenty years, right, You got Hardwicck, you got Keenan in twenty thirteen, and since then, your third round picks have been Chris Watt, Craig Mager, Max Turrek, Dan Feeney, Justin Jones, Trey Pipkins, Josh Palmer, JT. Woods, dayone Henley like those have been your thirds. You know, there's some good in there. There's two greats in there, and Keenan and Nick and some in place could get on the field, could never make an impact, like Junior Colson is who that's exciting. Now, that's that's something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's close it this way. I told you this was coming, uh, I was. Here's here's a specific ask Fundy to do another call of a letter Vidal touchdown, and I'm hoping Carl Laftis is involved once again.
Speaker 1: We are late in the fourth two and a half minutes left Chargers high red Zone trail by four at the twenty two of Pittsburgh. Crowd is on its feet, renegade blaring, of course, and exciting contest as both of these teams fighting for a playoff spot here in week thirteen. That's going to go a long way in terms of tie breakers should either of them end up in the wildcard despite fighting for the division title. We got an offset eye and it is Vidal who has been the hot hand in this one. Kind of been split carries for Edwards, Dobbins and Vidal, but he is on the field with this second and six, we get an offset. I've been Mason in front of him. Strength of the line is right distany outside of all and here's the snap and it's pitch right side, stretching it out at all alters in the next level. Patrick Queen gets cleaned out right sideline at all five into the end zone. Touchdown. Chargers take the lead by one. There we go.
Speaker 2: Patrick Queen got it.
Speaker 1: Patrick, Hey, you got his money. He's gonna get it. You got his funny. Uh, very well done. That works. That was in there. So there's a lot of time, a lot of time at the line of scrimmage they were trying to figure it out. I was able to get all that in there.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of delayed games.
Speaker 1: Games in there, A little bit, a little bit sorry, maybe get my head around it.
Speaker 2: We'll get a We'll get a lad Jet sweeping there at some point before before Ts are over. Uh, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Anything else about this draft, I think we covered it all. A good weekend for the Bolts, Yeah, no doubt. I think it speaks to the culture set from the new regime. All the picks you can see, Like we said, there's so many characteristics from them, either production traits and that's any team. But I think overcoming adversity, passion for football. And I'll finish with this, Chris, you know, beyond this class, I think it's clear that the Chargers have a distinct advantage over other teams right now because of the program that Jim Harbaugh comes from, the recruiting that they're able to do. They can recruit anyone nationally, so they're reaching out to players from all over the country. They're a national powerhouse. Not just build defense around our city and our state and let's get all the best players to play for Michigan. No, they recruit nationally and this is going to be a benefit for the next three years. You're talking about guys that are coming in freshmen that coach Harbaugh and his staff are recruiting in. So many of those assistant coaches are on this team as coaches. And it's not just guys from Michigan, but all the players that they have this scout that they faced in games and prepare for and right up Scot who reports on this is how we're going to attack this player. This is this is a player that's going to give us a problem. We got to make sure we account for that. Like, that's what they're going to get the benefit of. You know, someone like a boy Be to me comes to mind, where you're a team that wants to run the ball, You're a team that's in the playoffs, and it's like, hey, who do we have to worry about that Dallas Turner? Yet? You gotta worry about Dallas Turner Terryan Oarnold Coolater great, but don't forget about a boy Be. This guy makes big plays in big moments. We cannot allow him to derail us in this game. Like those are the things that they're going to benefit from with this staff, not just Jim Harbaugh, but all the coaches that he brought in, who are expected to recruit, who are expected to advance scout, and that's going to pay dividends, not just in the twenty twenty four draft, but probably in the next two to three at least because of their familiarity with these guys. Money.
Speaker 2: It's it's late April, and I hate to do like prisoner of the moment stuff, but just the juice in the bounts that I think fans have with Jim Harball here, it's different.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It is unlike anything I have ever ever seen since this team moved up to Los Angeles, and just the excitement level. I feel like fans feel like they're a part of it, and just watching the identity of this team takes shape the culture of this team. It has to be a thrill for you knowing that you're going to be calling games this year with Jim Harball as the head coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm glad you mentioned that. So, yeah, this will be because as we're at past an hour and ten minutes now, this will be my last point. You hear it all the time, coaches say it, and too often it's lip service. Be your authentic self. These guys will see through it. There is no one more authentic in the NFL than Jim Harball. Guy's wearing a plaid shirt with a plaid suit jacket, no gel. His hair is all weird looking. When he's doing press conference, he gets out, he meets Joe All he's got these goofy looking pants on them. He's pulling them up and you know, and he's grabbing John and Joe and like, hey, let's do a hype test. He's just so authentic and the energy is so authentic and just the excitement you can feel it. It's like it's not manufacturer, It's just it's all train of thought and it just comes to him like that, What is is that? Do I hear people in the room. You got a lot of people in the room. Is that what I'm hearing in the background? Yeah? Yeah, I gotta I got a house package. Well are they excited? Let me hear him like it's all authentic, And I think that's that's they They say it, coaches say it all the time. You have got to be authentic. You cannot pretend to be somebody you're not and try to be this. I'm gonna throw the desk through the wall, guy, and I'm gonna, you know, dog, cush you if that's not you. And that's why Philip Rivers is so beloved by this fan base because he was his authentic self and he never allowed anybody to change him. And that's Jim Harbaugh. He is he is is author himself man, and he is different than anybody else. And it's it's awesome. It is awesome to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh we're thrilled for the fans and thrill for us that you get to cover a guy like Jim Harriball who's won at every level. And uh, I feel like he's got a lot to prove. And this staff has really come in with this like home focus of Okay, we're we're coming, like we're we're coming for the AFC West. We're coming for the AFC. I don't know how long it's gonna take money, but enjoy the ride if you're in Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the key. Enjoy the ride. He's a football guy. He loves This guy is a competitor and he loves football and that's what he wants to do. He wants to coach football. He wants to get these guys to be the best they can be, and he wants to compete and he wants to dominate. And that's you can just see it that's what he's all about. Football, football, football, football, and and that's it's gonna be exciting. It's it's gonna be and we'll be doing this, you know, in a couple of weeks talking rookie camp. So cannot wait to get that going. Yep.
Speaker 2: Uh, thanks for hanging with us all weekend, guys for money, I'm Chris. This has been charges weekly. Uh, we'll see you this upcoming Thursday. I'm sure we have some some surprises up our sleeve in this upcoming podcast, but appreciate you guys listening. We'll see you next week.