Speaker 1: This is let's be clear with Shannon Doherty. Hi everyone, this is let's be clear with Shannon Doherty. Please welcome doctor Laurence Piro, Doctor Pierro. I brought you my best friend, and she was a stylish she was fantastic. I loved her. She taught me how to travel. We went to St. Barts every year, like we had a very very very tight, tight tight relationship. And she ended up getting cancer. I'm obviously not asking you to divulge anything, but her cancer, you know, was more advanced than mine at that time, and I remember her describing certain symptoms that she had and I would like two days later, by the way, just talking about it right now, thanks you. It gets me just talking about it. I'm starting to get those weird nice things that'll go away the minute I stopped talking about it. It's so bizarre, but you kept saying to me like, you cannot associate your cancer with hers. There are two different cancers. And if you look at her path, then you're going to walk her path like you have to walk your own path and she has to walk her own path. And when you first set me down and really had that conversation with me, I was like wow, Like I heard that, and then the pains like went away. It was all a mental thing.
Speaker 2: And I remember, actually the first time I said that to you was before you ever or at least before you ever verbalized anyway. Yeah, experienced some of the same things. I just knew to anticipate that, and I said that you cannot compare yourself. The minute I understood what her scenario was, I knew that you would look at that scenario and assume that that was your path. And because everybody does. I mean, fortunately many people are. Everybody's exceptional in some ways, but we're all very common in other ways. In terms of our human reactions. We're all very common because we're all part of the same you know, same community, of the same gene pool, the same organism. And so I knew that that would be a thing, and and it was, and each step of the way, you know, so that we had to keep repeating, especially because you were you know, you were a very good friend. So when you're a very good friend, you spend time talking. You know. It's kind of like support groups. I mean, support groups can be so great, but they have to be refereed carefully, and the composition of a support group has to be chosen carefully because you know, sometimes it can do damage and sort of help if it isn't you know, refereed carefully, and the people in the group are not common enough because if you're you know, if you're someone with adjuvant breast cancer and you know, with a eighty five or ninety percent chance of cure, and you're in a group with metastatic breast cancer patients, you know, you may be seeing, you know, a picture that is so frightening. You know that it's hard psychologically. So the sharing, the group share thing and the industry I think is very complicated, and especially in today's day of social media and all that, because anyone can reach out to you and share with you, and again you don't you're not really validating their data. I mean in this case of your friend, of course you were, but if someone meets you on the internet, you know, and is sharing data with you, you can't really validate their data. And we all leave pieces out of stories. I mean, even we're not talking about cancer, right if you're talking about, you know, your friend who did something to you one day about you know, what happened to a party or something like that people nate by nature tell their side of the story, right, So sometimes that leaves out a couple of beats that might change other people's view of it. But when they're telling their cancer story, they do the same thing. They sometimes leave out some beats because no one wants to be on the pathway that's leading to the bad outcome. Everyone wants to be on the pathway leading the good outcome, and so you sometimes leave things out, and therefore the person listening can't really adjudicate the story straightforwardly, right.
Speaker 1: And also there are you know people you said earlier, there are people that they're just like warriors when it comes to their protocols, and it doesn't matter. They just keep on a protocol. You know, I think there was only one protocol that I complained about. Every other protocol it didn't matter what that we were on together. Yeah, didn't matter what the side effects were, I was okay. And then there are other people like my friend who you know, blew through protocols incredibly incredibly quickly. It was like if if there was anything sort of uncomfortable. There are people that with a little bit of discomfort, they they don't want to stay on a protocol as opposed to realizing that like the more protocols you blow through, the less options you have because there's only so many protocols. What's really interesting to me is all the suggestions I think, and I've spoken to you about this, of that I get from people, you know, the chemo or this or that that is killing me Western medicine, that I need to be on you know, CBD, or I need to you know, uh, if I just go on a raw diet, or if I just do this, or I just do that. Oh my friend took you know, I remectin and they're completely cured of cancer. And I'm like, yeah, but they were also in a clinical trial, Like how are you saying, is that I remectin opposed to the clinical trial? Like, you know, it's such an interesting and I think a lot of people with cancer probably have this conversation with themselves, and I've had it with myself and I've had it with you. There's a vast amount of misinformation and just information in general that's really hard to sift through because there are so many stories and proclamations that this alternative medicine cured somebody of stage four cancer and so your brain has this very curious moment where it's like, well, should I be using a dewormer like they use on horses? Is that what's going to cure me? Like that was the latest one I got recently, And then you just start sort of knocking your head going stop it, you know, like science is science.
Speaker 2: There's so many levels to that. I mean, first of all, you one hundred percent right. I mean, on the surface of that kind of conversation, people cant say, well, gee, I don't know. My doctor treats me to like a statistic. He says, we're going on this protocol and it has, you know, forty two percent effectiveness. And yet I talk to this person and they're talking about this alternative stuff and they tell me about people that have been cured. But the reason that doctors don't talk about just people who've been cured because those are anecdotes. You have to study something in a disciplined way to find out if it's random or if it's an actual effect. And most of the alternative things are not studied that, and they're all driven by anecdotes and not to dismiss those, and they can feel empowering to a person who's in a bad situation. I get that, but at the end of the day, you're vulnerable, and when people are promising you things effectively, I mean they're effectively kind of promising this by saying this one person had this. I mean, they're hanging out there the possibility that that might be you. It's in some ways, you know, not intentionally, it's meaning to be helpful, but it's kind of praying on your vulnerability in some ways. And then if you choose not to do any of those things, because you just said I'm going to be sensible and you know, look at the data and all that. But then if you decide not to do those things and your outcome isn't good, then you self flagellate yourself. Well, maybe if I had done the Eye of Newt and all of that right, that you would have been okay. And so it also has that second layer of difficulty and judgment and all of that's difficult. You know, I didn't realize, despite a long career, I didn't realize just how humbled people get with suggestions until I took care of Farah Faucet and when I was on the journey with Pharah. You know, so many people strangers were writing or just left and right and whatever like with you, and she said, she just told all of them, just send this to my doctor and he'll sort this out. So you realize that besides eight thousand additional emails a day that I got, my office was filled to the ceiling with packages of bottles and pills and things and blankets and prayers and whatever, which is moving. To see how many people care. It was just beautiful moving, but it was a morass in terms of any patient if they were actually trying to sort out all of that stuff. But people don't fully realize is each time you have to open your thinking to another thing which might work, you're reliving your diagnosis, just reliving the whole initial process of the diagnosis and what might work. When you're having to tear into each of these individual suggests, and when it's thousands, it's overwhelming.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean that part doesn't bother me because I don't really like ever relive the diagnosis. But I think what I'm more worry about is I understand enough to look at some sort of suggestion that somebody gives me and either research it myself or have the conversation with you because a lot of times great you know, I believe in also natural medicine. I believe in homeopathic Like I think that's fantastical. Yeah, you just have to make sure that the properties that are in that homeopathic herb or whatever isn't counteracting what your normal cancer med is then doing. Like that's a big thing that people who give you the such suggestions don't realize, is that there is natural stuff out there, but it can literally kill essentially what your chemical medicine is on.
Speaker 2: That is, anything you're doing should be in addition to and not instead of right right. And then rule two is what are the drug interactions?
Speaker 1: Drug interaction?
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you I took care of a young man who was really an amazing, credible young man and scholar, and he unfortunately developed a very difficult cancer situation. And his girlfriend at the time of diagnosis and then they married. During the course of his care, someone and her family together, they decided he had a feeding tube at this particular point in his journey, and they decided that they would try to be helpful to him. They would stop feeding him the liquid diet that was the well balanced diet and all that, and they would feed him just like yogurt mixed with antioxidant berries and different things. And I always told this young man that if you know, if you are scared, you know, just call me and I will come. You know, just if you're scared of what's happening, just call and I will come. And so one day he called me and he said, I think I'm dying. I said why, and he said, because I'm bleeding from my nose, and I'm bleeding from my mouth, and I'm bleeding from everywhere. And you know, this was somebody in his twenties, right, and he had seen all these horror films where you know where that's what happens, and so he could only conclude that that meant he was dying. So I said, I'll be right there, and I drove there and I walked into the room and I looked at the scenario and it was interesting that something else I did which was kind of interesting. There was so much the room was so amped up, and I lifted up the sheet, you know, so his feet were there, and I asked the nurse. We had like around the clock nurs as. I said to the nurse, do you have some lotion here? And I was actually wearing was a summer and I was wearing like jeans and flip flops at a T shirt or something. I don't think the nurse knew I was the doctor.
Speaker 3: So I walked in the room and said, lift up the thing exposing and Feeta said, do you have lotion? And I think the nurse was so confused. So I just squirted some lotion on his feet and I started, actually, you know, massaging his feet because I knew he needed to calm down, you know, so we could sort this out because he was just petrified.
Speaker 2: Right, So well, I'm asking questions, Well, I'm just you know, putting this lotion on his feet and massaging his feet, which you know, if you're you ever get a foot massage, right, I mean, it makes your whole body just calm down, all the tension go away. So I'm asking questions, well, what about this and what about that? And what have you been feeding? Have you been taking these? And I'm asking of all the people in the room, and and that's when they told me that they had changed the diet. And I said, well, I said to him, listen, you have vitamin K deficiency from your diet. That is why you're bleeding and you're going to be fine. I sent his mother to the pharmacy to get some Vita McKay that I called in and prescribed you to the Via McKay. All the bleeding stopped and he was okay for that moment. I mean, he still had obviously cancer and cancer treating the rabbages of it. But the point is is that you know, a very very well meaning and well intentioned change in things without fully discussing it, you know, resulted in a very very scary moment for this this young man.
Speaker 1: That's poor thing. Which is a really interesting segue because I was going to talk to you about the fact that, like, maybe the white coat doesn't know everything, and then I hear that story and I'm like, maybe they do. You know what I'm saying, like, because you do understand, you know, drug interaction, and you do understand vitamin deficiency, and you do understand what somebody is needing and they're feeding to and you know, you do understand the different protocols and how they're going to help. So it's not necessarily segue. Isn't necessarily about that a white coach doesn't know everything, because I think they know quite a bit. I think it's more that it's okay, And it's what I love about our relationship, right, is that I've never felt as if I couldn't question something. I never looked at you and thought I just need to accept what he's saying to me and putting in front of me, keep my mouth shut and do what he says. I've always engaged with you and said like, hey, but I was just looking at this, and there's this and this and this and this as other additional data, and you're like, well, yes, but that data then comes with this data like you have to do a little bit more digging, or you have to do this or that. I don't think enough people have a healthy conversation with their doctor. And some doctors, not you, but some doctors I think make a patient feel as if they don't have the time for the questions. But I also think that the patients don't demand the time. And if a doctor doesn't know that you are needing that time desperately, then he's not going to give you that time because he's got fifty other patients to go see, right, So that it's perfectly okay to respectfully but strongly have a conversation and demand more time and do your own research and push back up against an opinion, because ultimately it is our lives and our bodies and our decision. So we have to be comfortable with everything and have no regrets going forward.
Speaker 2: So when the Internet came into being, prior.
Speaker 1: To now, everybody's a doctor. I mean, I have a freaking degree, don't you know they?
Speaker 2: Prior to the Internet, all medical knowledge was in medical books, and medical books were only sold in bookstores to doctor the medical people, so not only I think the Merks Manual or something like that was maybe the only real authoritative type of a book that lay people had. So the doctor was viewed as the keeper of all medical knowledge and there were no other vehicles. When the Internet came into being, I remember so vividly doctors being so inflamed because a patient would walk in with a print out of you know, seventy five pages and instead of saying, I have joint pains and rash, I think I have you know what is that? What is joyt pains and rash? Could it be lubas? Are going to be lying? They'd walk in and PLoP down seventy five pages and say I have a lime disease, and here's why, right when maybe they more likely had lucas or something. Doctors were so insulted by that they would grab the papers and throw them in the trash in front of the patient and say, this is what I think of the Internet boom like that. They were just enraged. And so I watched that going on, and I realized that I was living through a sea change and that medical knowledge was now going to be widely available to everyone, and people were not looking for me to be a professor. And you see, this is where the white coat comes in. That white coat is symbolic of somebody being a professor and a sign of authority. And I realized people didn't want me to be a professor and the keeper of authority. They wanted me they didn't want to be on my team. They wanted me to be on their team.
Speaker 1: That's craft what a beautiful way of saying it.
Speaker 2: And that's when I took off my white coat. And I've never put it back on because I think it's too strong of a symbol of an old time role for a doctor. And I think everybody's on their own journey, and as long as you accept responsibility for your decisions. I will go with you on your journey.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try in every way I can to talk you into what I think is the best thing based on the data and everything I understand, and to tell you why. But at the end of the day, even if it's alternative or not not typical or not the best choice, I'll go on that journey with you as long as you understand that we're deviating. And I think one of the reasons why you and I have that relationship from the beginning is that I try always when I'm telling someone about what we should do, I try to always say, we have three options here, or four options here, or two whatever, so that even though I've already made up my mind based on the data so what I think would be best, I'm presenting the field of view of how I went through my decision making process, and I share my decision making process with you, as as you and I have done many times, right to say, so, here's the four paths. I like this one for this reason and that reason, I like this one for that reason whatever, And then I've ruled out these and these, and that leaves us here and between those two one spares hair in one doesen, so let's spare hair or whatever. How I mean, However, the situation is, and I think that you know, people doctor strutu comes, you know, grab the authority because it's kind of what the job teaches you to do. But if you actually give the authority over to the patient, they very quickly give it back to you.
Speaker 1: If you right, Yeah, well, because it's human nature, right, Like human nature is to want to be in control, and especially if you're sick, you want to feel like you have some semblance of control. So if you're given that control the way that you do it, you definitely give it back because you're because then you don't need to like fight for it exactly.
Speaker 2: And if you ever do want to really exert it, because in opposition to what his or her recommendation is for you, you know that they'll glad fully give it back to you, like you're handing it back saying, Okay, you've proven that you can handle the authority for me. But if I want my authority back, by the way, it's just on loan to you, So I'm going to take it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I get to a different place and a different set of decisions.
Speaker 1: I also think that it's really unique about you as a doctor that I really encourage the listeners too. And it doesn't matter if you have breast cancer, any other kind of cancer, any sort of illness, or you're just you know, going to a general doctor. I really encourage you to, you know, get to know your doctor. Like doesn't mean you have to go to Italy with them, but that might be an extreme, but you know, engage and get to know and be very honest with your doctor about your lifestyle and everything else because at the end of the day, it allows more leeway in that relationship. And for instance, the infusions that I'm currently on right like, there came a point where I said, hey, I want to try something. I want to try not getting the anti nausea. I think it's prolonging my sickness. Once I get the infusion, I don't want fourteen days of feeling like I have to throw up for twelve days. I just want to throw up and get it over with. Maybe this will work, maybe it won't. And I remember there was a nurse who was very against it. And I waited for you, and I texted you and you came in. I go super early in the mornings. As you know, I'm a weirdo. I go at like six thirty seven o'clock in the morning, and you, you know, looked at me and said, if that's but you know me now, And that's the difference is that we now know each other and we have a shorthand.
Speaker 2: And you know that I know that you know your body like no one else. I've seen it over and over again. Well, I mean that's true of everybody, but you're like a you know, savant in that regard, and what you're wanting to do is completely anathetical. Like there's no reason to think taking a three day and a nausea injection is like prolonging the nausea. I mean, just like antithetical to traditional medical thinking. But I've seen time and time again you have weird reactions to medicines, and you figure it out for your own body, and when we do it, it works out. I'm like, that's again, Well, like I said to the nurse, she will take responsibility for this decision if it doesn't work out, Well, there's no there's no reason to hear.
Speaker 1: If you get very sick, you just have to like you have to come in We're going to have to get you in my d drip, like you have to stay hydrated. And I remember I called you and I was like, uh, I think it's working, Like I'm not as sick for as long.
Speaker 2: But we took we tried all different anti nausous, we tried steroids, we tried to check every everything. Yeah, and and and so why not because you have this instinct and you were right and most people know they But it's the same thing I always laugh about. You know, when patients I'll always have to get their blood drawn before the doctor's appointment, and some phlebotomists will insist that they're going to draw somewhere because it's the best vein, and the patient will say that vein doesn't work. I'm telling you that vein doesn't work. You need to go over here, and they won't listen to them because it's like I'm the phullbottomist and I know the right veins whatever, and listen. If a patient demonstrably tells you where to draw their blood, do it because they know their body.
Speaker 1: This is a tough one, Okay. When you try patients for years, does it take a toll on you when you lose them. The second part is or are you able to stay detached? And I know that that's a no from you.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So the thing about this topic that I feel so strongly about is that I have an obligation to bring the best knowledge, the best individualized thinking, the best strategic thinking, and all the best resources anywhere in the world to a patient's journey of healthcare, cancer treatment. But at the end of the day, their outcome is encoded in the universe, and so my job, above all else is to make sure that they have a journey that's closest to the journey they want to have, as close as I can make it. And that is where I derive my sense of gratitude and sense of joy from, is making sure or that as we go along that journey, after having brought all the best resources and the best you're thinking and all that. But you know, that's just the basic program to me, that I can make the experience as much what they want it to be as possible. And that includes the dying process. You know, you enter alone and you leave alone. You can't really help someone enter well, you can just try to catch them, but you can help someone fly away well. And everyone has very different ideas about what that process should be for them. But as a doctor, I think the most important thing is to listen to them and talk about it and try to even make that part of their journey. You know, if you think about the most vulnerable position that there is in the world is when you're flying away and if you don't have people around you who will listen to you and try to help you make it the way you want it to be. But a terrible, terrible tragedy and closure that is so I am thrilled that I've been able to treat people who've gotten care from diseases. I'm thrilled that I've been able to develop medicines that have cured some people and very much you know, prolonged the lives of other people. But I'm equally honored to have helped people die well, because it's one of the most intimate things you can do in life as a doctor.
Speaker 1: And in all your years of treating patients and being in the medical world, have you ever witnessed like a true miracle?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that's a funny word. I certainly have seen people have responses that exceed anything you could see. Yeah, they seem miraculous. And I'm a big you know, I have a big spiritual presence as a person, you know, like I really very much, you know, part of me lives in that kind of spiritual existence. So I don't know. I mean, it's a complicated word for me, because when I think of miracle, I almost think of like somebody somewhere, you know, waving a wand and making magic and making something happen, you know. And I don't understand like what it looks like behind the behind the curtain, you know, of miracle making. So I don't know if things are really miracles. But I do know that I've seen unexpected results. I do know that a person harnessing their spiritual and creative and loving energy can change the course of disease, and people living in a dark and negative and uh you know, critical and unhappy place can change the course of disease. So I do believe that there are factors beyond our control, and whether they're all biologic and physiologic or where some of them are all so universe and spiritual, I personally believe very much in an order of the universe, and I believe that the universe, you know, that we are mindful people, and sometimes we allow our mindfulness to think that we know best for ourselves. But I'm quite well aware that there seems to be an order in the universe, and if you turn yourself over to the order in the universe, you often wind up in a way better place than you would have had you continue to plow forward your own, you know, limited thinking about where you belong. And so I try to always, you know, turn my will over to the universe and follow the clues to get to the place where I think maybe I'm supposed to belong. And I try to always you know, help patients, you know, on that same journey too.
Speaker 1: So with all the money pouring into cancer research, why is chemotherapy and actually is it still to go to treatment when it causes you know, obviously a lot of weakness, a lot of pain, a lot of side effects.
Speaker 2: Well, chemotherapy is largely derived from natural sources like the taxanes or other sorts of things, and some were chemically modified and some were synthesized, but they were all focused on kind of interfering with DNA or other critical pathways to make a cell die, and in fact they're very effective at doing that. But the necessary side effect is that other cells that are dividing can also de that causes the side effects. Right. So the side effects are caused by like a lot of times when people get mouth sores and ulcers or diarrhea, rectal pain, that sort of thing, it's because the mucosa lining of the bowel are cells that are always turning over, so they die more readily in response to chemotherapy. In fact, we've had an amazing you know revolution in two areas treatments, So in sequencing the human genome and identifying you know, mutations that are existing in cancers and then identifying drugs that affect those mutations. That's been miraculous at creating a non chemotherapy pathway. And immunotherapy has been an unbelievable breakthrough with drugs that you know, allow the immune system to see cancers in the way they were overlooking them before and now can actually kill them and clean them up. And they all have their other different side effects because you know, you can't you can't rev up the immune system to cancer cells without expecting that they might actually attack some other cells too, right, some of your good cells exactly, And it's so they're different side effects and chemotherapy with the side effects on the left. So whenever we're going to be manipulating with physiologic processes, we're going to get side effects. They're even vaccines now, you know, for cancer. And what was interesting to me is when one of the first vaccines that ever showed benefit to advance cancer patients, which is called provenge for or prostate cancer. It was interesting how little all anybody ever said was why don't we have a vaccine for cancer? And then the vaccine was developed, and how low the adoption rate was of it for a whole variety of reasons that are probably beyond the scope of this discussion. But there are many different lanes. There are huge breakthroughs, and you know, and cancer has become a chronic illness. You know, it used to be you know, pretty much your cured or it's a fatal illness in a fairly short period of time. And now people can live for years and years and sometimes decades with low grade cancer being manipulated from time to time with various pills or infusions.
Speaker 1: And immuno therapy. Like I know that you and I have discussed im therapy a lot. I always really liked the idea because sort of the way that I looked at it was, you know, it was it was basically like the Navy seals of cells going in and like just you know, killing all the the bad cells. But yes, they do sometimes knock off, you know, some other really good cells, someone like me.
Speaker 2: Your particular set of characteristics a breast cancer doesn't respond very well to immunotherapy, and then your particular markers. Beyond that, there are specifically markers that tell you if your cancer might be likely to be susceptible. So even if you have a cancer that's not that susceptible, if you show these immune markers that say it would be susceptible, then there might still be a chance. But your immune markers are even say your tumber wouldn't respond. Now that doesn't mean that with you know, other immunological advances that are coming down the lane, that's not an option. But that's not an option because there are some situations where cancers respond and when they have the markers that say they won't respond, and combinations sometimes work. So there's more stuff coming every single day there there we're understanding new ways to use these genetic defects and molecular markers, and every single day we're learning how to manipulate the immune system more. And there's these certain kind of immune system where we take T cells out and T cells out of your body immune cells, and we in the laboratory make them into warriors against your cancer and then fuse them back into you called you know, TILL cells, and there are other version of car T cells and all that. There's just a huge amount of research going on with that, and they're quite miraculous treatments in some cases and in other cases not. But we're learning how to empower them differently so that maybe in the cases where they're not effective, they will become so. And so that whole, that whole field I think is really really important. And if someone can live long we're in a in a remission or a partial mission for a period of time, that may be something that you know, really comes to roosts for their particular situation that isn't available today. And then you know, tons of these, like I said, molecular markers. And even as we talked about earlier in your case, we you know, we didn't think of her to express her. We didn't really think that much about that category as being anything important. But it turns out her to expressors respond to the drug addibody con you get this targeted her too. So and we had unbelievable results with your situation, and you know, to to talk about what you were mentioning earlier about our decision to stick with it. You know, the situation was that we you know, we had cancer in some critical places that if it were to get out of hand, it could cause us to lose precious time. Then we might not regain in terms of because when cancer is growing in an organ, it can cause that organ to dysfunction, and if that organ dysfunctions, they could be game over. And so you're always at this juncture where is the amount of cancer in that organ such that if we keep going on this when we're not sure if it's working, we're taking we're hoping that it's stable, like we're seeing the same amount of disease because we stopped it into stability and now we're going to turn around into response. But there's also the possibility that was like a brief pause and it's going to keep growing, and then if it keeps growing, are we going to get to that place where the tumor burdens so great that the organ dysfunctions and then we lose precious time or we're out of the game. And that's where we were talking about a little bit to some extent, not exactly that situation, but somewhat that situation. We were talking earlier about whether to stick with this treatment, and we had scans that were showing us not as much response as we would have expected. By that time. You were having a lot of side effects, but yet the tumor markers were going down, and so we said, look, we're going to assume that the tumor markers are telling us the story and the scans are lagging. And we turned out to be right. But we also had that challenge too, and are we getting enough brain penetration that it's really going to work there as well?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And that was really the more most concerning part to me, is that is that that scenario, like a little something showed up there and so we're like, does that mean it's failing? And it turns out no, it was. It was ultimately responded just a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you hopeful for a cure?
Speaker 1: And if so, at like how far out? I mean? There are new amounts of different cancers right there. There are there are vaccines for some that you mentioned, there are kind of cures for.
Speaker 2: Some, they're definitely cures. Podgkin's disease is very careable, right.
Speaker 1: So the ones that are you know, extremely tough to cure lung cancer for instance.
Speaker 2: Right listen, melanoma just the answer to your question, my hopeful of a cure absolutely, I mean it would be. Yeah, you know, this is be a challenging business if you didn't have optimism. But you know, we're the ANSWER's Clinic is a you know, it's a very renowned center for many things, but chief among them melanoma and immunotherapy, and and us having played us instantial role in the opening and beginning of the field of immunotherapy. And there's a time period when when stage four melanoma was a universal death, nothing more than that, right and just and and stage four melanoma people can be of all the disease disappear and live for years, maybe being cured. I don't know, you know, if they're cured or if we just reduce the cells downs at such a low level and harnessed the immune system and whatever that they never come out again. But the point is is they can now live their whole and tiple life in some ways. And I mean that's we never thought that we would see that in a disease I don't know. I mean, like twenty years ago in melanoma or three years ago melano doctors would say, you know, like what's your favorite place in the world, Oh, Hawaiira, you should go there. You should go there, get your will set up before you go that. They literally said that to people with this kind of melanoma. And now people even with brain metastaites in melanoma, are you know, completely disease free for decades and therefore, you know, perhaps the cured. We're always you know, as a doctor, you don't want to hold out false hope, and so we're always hesitant to say that cure word, you know, in some situations, just because we don't want to be leading. But we are eternally hopeful.
Speaker 1: So we know that. Obviously, we just discussed that not all cancers are curable, but early detection is always the best chance you have. Is there a test that you recommend that it's comprehensive, and obviously that depends on the kind of cancer that you have, like for women breast cancer, I'm assuming it's a mammogram, right, it's the first place you start, right. What about for you know, other forms of cancer.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're a smoker, there's something called the screening lung CETA and those that have been shown to be effective in picking up early cancers. So that's if you're a non smoker, it's all more difficult because routine chest X rays don't necessarily show much benefit.
Speaker 1: And what about like prostate cancer.
Speaker 2: Prostate cancer, we have the p S a test and blood and it's a very sensitive test, and when that shows an increase, then people are able to get an MRI of the I think having you know, regular doctor visits and getting there's a whole kind of template of screening tests. You know, depending on your gender and both your signed gender at birth and your acquired gender and all of those you know, different things. It's there's a whole set of things that you can do from screening cts and PAP smears and HPV tests. I think one of the biggest preventative things people should be doing is getting HPV vaccinated if you're not. I mean, the HPV virus accounts for five percent of all the cancers in the world cervical cancer and women anal cancer, and men and women mouth cancer and men and women penal cancer, and men five percent of all the cancers in the world caused by a virus infection. That if you get vaccinated against the most common causing, most common cancer causing strains, you can prevent that, right, So that's incredibly you know important, you know, prevention item, I think, and in terms of overall prevention, I think, you know, achieving your ideal body weight is incredibly important because you know, body fat creates an inflammatory state that contributes to heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. So, you know, a lot of people like to focus on dietary composition and I love that and it's important, but the truth is, dietary composition it's not that important. If you have way too much body fat, I mean, get your body fat down because that's going to control the inflammatory condition. And then at that point then the value of your dietary composition becomes super important, right because you've eliminated that inflammatory thing. If you have this massive obesity inflammatory state, it almost doesn't matter how much kal you eat, you've got this inflammatory state that's totally pro cancer all the time, so that exercise seems to have an independent protective, you know component, separate from just it's a weight loss component. So I'd say, you know, exercise regularly. Look, we were meant to move, We were meant to move, and it changes that whole physiological structure. And then there are various anti inflammatory things that you can take and do you know from you know, turmeric, baby aspirin if you don't have reasons why you can't take aspirin and other kinds of things. So I think, you know, I think there's something to that whole anti inflammatory scenario for people in prevention. And you know there are you know, the other things from there, but yes, there are things that could be done.
Speaker 1: And being honest with yourself one with your doctor, like don't ignore signs. If something doesn't feel right, go have a conversation with your doctor. That seems to be a very important one to think.
Speaker 2: If you have anal bleeding, don't let somebody just chalk it up to hemorrhoids. Have somebody look look. And if you're having a colonoscopy, here's here's the most important to you. You're having a lenoscopy, you say to your doctor, I want you to be sure and examine my anus. Okay, Now that sounds like a strange thing to have to request, but the truth is is that a lot of times doctors just put the scope in and look and they don't they don't actually examine that area. And anal cancer is one of the things caused by HPV and it requires a visual exam and a finger exam, and you can completely miss the anal area with the scope right. And by the way, a lot of it is very embarrassing for a lot of women because they feel like if you get anal cancer, it means that you were having sex there. Women can get anal cancer never having had anal sex because vaginal secretions that are affected the HPV virus can pool in that area and infect that area. So don't let anybody embarrass you into not asking for the right exams and screen so you don't have that. So that's what happened.
Speaker 1: You heard it here, guys, Let's be clear.
Speaker 2: What a way I add. We started at the top and we handed at the bottom of the bottom.
Speaker 1: When they went high, I went left. Doctapiro, I love you, and you know your brain is impressive and you're a wealth of information, and I deeply appreciate our relationship as doctor patient, and I deeply appreciate our friendship, which is a total other side thing. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I love you as well. I do are you. You're amazing and every day your inspiration to me.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I know you're just you know, gonna keep plugging away until you know you want me to live to like ninety.
Speaker 2: I know that at least a couple of more trips to you Italy for sure.
Speaker 1: Sardinia is next, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, we have to get to the places we missed exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys, thank you so much much for listening in to Let's Be Clear with Shannon Doherty and with my very very very special guest, doctor Lawrence Piro of the Angelus Clinic. Check it out. It's a pretty phenomenal place. I know that a lot of my fans have actually contacted him, and I saw one in his waiting room, and it makes me very happy because I think he can answer a lot of questions and be the kind of provider, the care provider that so many of us need. All right, bye, thank you for listening to Li's Be Clear.