Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the t k O in your Puzzled Prize Fight. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the Great Noel Brown, co host of the Ridiculous History podcast and Stuff they Don't Want You to Know and just an all around mench Welcome Noel.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so kind of you. Agent. Maybe I would take the just fine Noel Brown. But great is I love it. I will lean on some hyperbole here and there.
Speaker 1: I'm standing by great. I'm and in future episodes, I may go, I may go bigger.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see how I perform. Okay, it's yet to be determined.
Speaker 1: There you go. One of your shows is the huge hit Stuff they Don't Want You to Know, which is about conspiracies and secrets involving everything from assass Nations to UFOs, And in honor of that, today's puzzle is about aliens, or more specifically ets. And before we begin, I thought I'd ask, what is your favorite conspiracy that you've heard about?
Speaker 2: ET's There's just so many, but there was one of recent note that made some delightful memes. I don't know if you remember. In Mexico, some officials at the National Autonomous University of Mexico purported to be the mummified remains of an Et, an adorable little fellow, quite gaunt, with a very fun little very et esque like as in the Spielberg Spielberg and Et face. And it generated so many memes because he's just a chill looking little guy. They had him like with like a blunt, you know, in his mouth, and fun like you know, like hype beast type clothes like street wear on and it just really tickled me. Of course, it was determined to be a hoax quite quickly, but the closest to allegedly were you know, we'll see the juries mainly in but we'll just for the purposes of this podcast, say it's still out.
Speaker 1: That is interesting. That gives me an idea. I'd like to see sort of a spectrum from the cutest ets to the scariest ets, like who would who would be the cutest like this guy? Would it be Et? From Spielberg? All right, Well, this puzzle is all about looking for hidden ets. Every answer will have the letters E T appear in it, not once, but twice. So for example, if I said, since we're talking about movies. If I said this is what a director says before shooting a scene, you might say quiet on the set. So you see there's two ET's, one at the end of quiet and one at the end of set.
Speaker 2: That would have taken me a minute. I'm not gonna lie. Am terrified.
Speaker 1: But that was a tough one. That's why I put it in the intro. I was just to terrify you. I guess. Okay, all right, well, let let's start. You may not be terrified after the ready. Ace Ventura is one of these. Ace Ventura is one of the.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm gonna give a beat for the for the audience to give it a go beat. And he is a pet detective.
Speaker 1: A pet detective exactly there. It is two ET's right in there. All right, what about this one? This is a toy in the National Toy Hall of Fame, and you draw little pictures using two knobs.
Speaker 2: That is an Etchus beat. It beats given a beat? Do you cannot go? Just for the people at home on our podcast, when we make a mistake or want our editor to know we'd like something edited out, we say beep out loud and having been doing this for so long that sometimes finds its way into our normal, everyday life where I'll be having a conversation and we'll do a retake and say beep out loud. People think it's like a glitch in the matrix, or that I'm some sort of you know, et myself perhs glitching out. Okay, that was enough of a beat. I would say that would be an etch a sketch.
Speaker 1: And etch a sketch is correct?
Speaker 2: Sketch?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know what did you say?
Speaker 2: I said a sketch? I'm joking.
Speaker 1: Oh, I say, yes, Well it's my northern accent and you've got the Atlanta accent.
Speaker 2: I will say, I have an accent. How dare you?
Speaker 1: I do like the idea of the beet during normal conversation because you realize they can still hear you. Don't. You can't go back and edit.
Speaker 2: It just not real life. Unfortunately, we haven't figured that out quite unless it's at all a simulation exactly, all right?
Speaker 1: What about this?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: Is what hester Prinne or in a novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne Hester Prinne or this and it might be.
Speaker 2: A giant a.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a giant a. But there's another name for it that includes two.
Speaker 2: A burgundy character nail that. Oh no, okay, it would be a scarlet letter.
Speaker 1: Scarlet letter exactly, well done, well done, by the way. I had a good idea for hester when I read that, and which was so other letters around the A. So it spells badass with the scarlet A in the middle, and then you can own it. And you're like, hey, I'm so anyway.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's an odd choice for like early education reading. It feels a little slut shaming or something like. I know that's not the point of the of the book, but it just feels it's an odd one. I don't think they maybe they don't do that as much anymore. Seems like it's in the in the curriculum.
Speaker 1: My son, my son did read it, and I agree with you. I would not put that in. It's a little, as you say, it's a little slut shaming. All right, are you ready for your next one?
Speaker 2: This is what you go I'm doing Okay, I'm sorry rough, I'm feeling good.
Speaker 1: Okay, as a host, I should have mentioned that you are killing it.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much, Matt.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry all right, what this is what you go through in an airport or what you use on the beach when you're looking for coins. Oh, you might have stumped.
Speaker 2: Them or no, no, no, I'm giving the early beats. It took. It took an internal beats, and then I'm giving the external beat. And now I will say a metal detecture.
Speaker 1: A metal detector is correct? Should we do just one? Well, I have two more.
Speaker 2: Let me do themit to me. Oh no, I'm in I'm in this. I also just recently played twenty questions for the first time on a special crossover episode of Ridiculous History with our sister podcast, Ridiculous Crime. Uh, and had a really lovely time doing that too. So this is my week of firsts for me.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: I want to listen to never participated in a in a puzzle off?
Speaker 1: I want. I'm very tempted to ask what the answer was, but I guess that would I have to listen to the episode. Listen, yeah, listen to uh. All right, here's one. This is a little harder. Perhaps a buzzkill. A party pooper might be called a shoot. Okay, okay, well, let me let me do this. Let me throw this at you. It's a more I got it. Oh yeah, you don't even need the end.
Speaker 2: I got a clue.
Speaker 1: Okay, what what do you got?
Speaker 2: I sometimes, much to her chagrin, call my girlfriend this actually a wet blanket.
Speaker 1: A wet blanket. It is absolutely true.
Speaker 2: I say it with love less less to anybody in the audience think that I'm being emotionally abusive.
Speaker 1: Maybe you like wet blair. If you're hot, a wet blanket can be very helpful. All right, Well, let's end with this one. This is the full name of Romeo's lover. So it's Romeo's lover a little tricky. Oh, but they think he's got it beat.
Speaker 2: That would be Juliette Montague.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's Romeo's last name is Montague.
Speaker 2: And there's Montague. Wait, hold on a second. What is't Yeah this on his turkey because he's actually Montagues and the Montagues and the copula populate.
Speaker 1: You got it. You got it very well. Look at that one hundred percent. You didn't have to worry.
Speaker 2: There's a T. There is an E N a T in Montague.
Speaker 1: That's not the subsequence that well, lovely job. As I said, I'm sticking with the great that I used in the intro.
Speaker 2: Confidence is up significantly.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the way we do it. We we give you a nice ego boost and then we crush you the next one. So I'm crushing.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to be crushed. Now I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Where can people find more Noel Brown content?
Speaker 2: Well, as you said at the top of the show, I am the co host of Ridiculous History with the great Ben Bolin, also a previous Puzzler guest, and also the Stuff I Don't Want You to Know podcast, a critical thinking approach to conspiracies with also Ben Bollen and the also great Matt Frederick. You can find that anywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Both fantastic podcasts. Uh, thank you for doing them, and thank you for coming on the show. Before we wrap up, as always, there's a extra credit for the puzzlers at home. This is a super low carb eating plan, a super low carb eating plan. If you want the answer, please coming back tomorrow. We've got Noel and we've got more puzzles, and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello, Puzzlers. Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played with doctor Scott Barry Kaufman a game we called the Psychology of Puzzles, where every answer is a word with a silent P, and every clue has all the p's removed from.
Speaker 2: It as if they were silent.
Speaker 4: Your extra credit clue was this is an ease of aper which lists the rice of an object. This is a ease of apor which lists the rice of an object. The answer, of course is.
Speaker 5: Receipt our eceei silent p T. We love silent letters, but we love active listeners. So come on back tomorrow for more
Speaker 3: Puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly