Speaker 1: Ask your question real good, let's just keep it real straight out will no chase. So I'm gonna get a little bit rougher. I'm here for those who really believe in the American process, all of us Street shot no chase with your girl, test on figure Out, on the Black Effect podcasting at work.
Speaker 2: T everybody, this is teslim figure out.
Speaker 1: I have a very very special guest with me, doctor Steve Perry. We do, uh, I guess you would call it a cross uh pollinate in many of the same circles. And so I thought this was a really, really good conversation. I talked about this when I addressed the Candice Owens thing that it seems and again it's just personal experience when black women, because I want people know where black women were at that time and even now and where that frustration and that trauma comes from.
Speaker 3: A lot of times with.
Speaker 1: I did posting, but those who are following me put a five in the chat. If you remember when I said, now, I've been loving on you black man this whole time, as an.
Speaker 2: Activist this whole time.
Speaker 1: It is plenty of black conservatives who agree with many of the points that a candas Omans have said that's never been. We know that they're black people who are anti abortion, who are pro TA two A, who are pro business, who are anti text, who don't support President Biden, who are all of who know that the government is against us. But when somebody has made an intentional effort to disconnect from you, and.
Speaker 3: Then there's somebody like myself, that's different in politics. That's different than politics.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's different. But i'm i'm I'm trying to draw a conclusion here on the black woman who has consistently, for the most part, not everything perfect, but loved your black ass, clear in spite of yourself, in spite of what you did, in spite of George Floyd. Yes he had a drug problem, Yes he could have complied, Yes, all those things, but his life still mattered. So when you have a woman who has said, no, George Floyd should have should have complied, he is a joke. It is a setup, even if you believe that. But you went out your way to demonize that man. And then you have an activist like myself who the whole time been saying I love you the whole time. But now that somebody has now pretended to now get you now you uplift this person. And I think that goes back to a lot of trauma of needing the person that never liked me at school, the person that made a point.
Speaker 2: Let me, let me put a pin on this just right quick, needing that person to now say, you know what, you're worthy.
Speaker 1: And so we now want because I want you to chime in on this, and I'm in bearing me guys, because I'm we're doing layers here, We're digging deep. When you look at that and you look at what O. J. Simpson being able to say, you know what, you were never with us.
Speaker 2: There was a.
Speaker 1: Sector of the black population, and I can just speak to women who said, you know what, We're going to give you another shot. And that's even happened still today. So I want to ask you, when you said not me, once you make your decision, stay over there, speak on it a little bit, doctor Perry, should we be more like that or should we say, you know what, We're still gonna fight the man together, even if even if you don't like us at all.
Speaker 3: So I my grandmother, I loved her with the intensity of the sun. And my grandmother, I spent a lot of time there and I saw my uncles and father and other folks come over to the house, and this is how the conversation will go. They come over, Hey, hey, how y'all doing. How y'all doing? And we as kids sitting there looking like cause they ain't really ask how she's doing. And then she and then this is how I go. Rest of comes. She goes, mar can, I talk to you for a minute. Then my grandmother will go over, come out, break them up for twenty or whatever she had in there. It seemed like she had an atm in there, mm hmm, and then they will leave. My grandmother is not the only grandmother who did that. My grandmother is among the many mothers who are doing that now who want their sons to do right. They want things, They want to believe that this time your ass is gonna stop. Just now. You want to stop, you wanna stop, they tell themselves friends. I grew up resenting that move after they would leave, and you know when they say a child's place, and I was very mad, made very aware of my place. But I'm not saying I didn't give it a shot to come up out of it during that time. And I would say, Grandma, why do you keep giving them money. And she would tell me about my place and I would leave it there. And my grandfather would you know, he was shrugged in this way like like whatever, I can't do anything about it. And so as a person, this has nothing to do with my studies, This has nothing to do with my work. As a person, I struggle mightily to just let somebody back. I hold a grudge. I do for a very long time. For a very long time, my father and I didn't speak for TEA is to be passed. Excuse me. If you want me to know who you are, then you got to show me who you are. And I have to take it for what it is. But I'll say this, I'll say this would accept appreciations with I don't. I don't with an OJ type, with the Clarence Thomas type where we talk about politics or what I'm not gonna do. It's say, come on back like everything is cool, because it's not cool.
Speaker 2: Plays out, and that plays out trauma.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Yeah, Canice went harder than most? Yes, she didn't just say again, except and I believe that when we peel back, most black people like if we just sit back in a real conversation, Black people, and by and large I believe to be more conservative than most people realize. Most African Americans who I know generally speaking just from a politic not Republican. I want to be clear.
Speaker 2: Because there's a difference.
Speaker 3: We are more conservative.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but doctor Barry, your volume is going in and out, your headset maybe going in and out. We can hear you, we can hear you, but I want to make sure that we don't lose this good, this good?
Speaker 3: Is this better? Yes, I think that most black people are not who I encounter, are more conservative than we think. Moderately, I don't think definitely, but some are straight up against many of the things that the Democratic Party asked them to go for. Yes, it just just facts, just straight up politics, That's what it is. So I'm not talking about politics here at all. What I'm saying is when someone has made a conscientious effort to destroy African Americans and call out black people being black and saying things like there is no such thing as racism, and saying that racism is a social concert that you internalize and accept that that that when you say things like slavery was a choice, when you say things like Floyd was a drug addict. When you say things like that's not the point here, When you do things to disparage and undermine, and then again, I'm gonna call this what I call it. When I do look at your cookout, when I do look at your wedding and you look like a guest at your wedding, right, A good guess.
Speaker 2: One of these things.
Speaker 3: When you don't, and you and I both know people, it doesn't a cat. I know. He's a really good friend of mine. His name is Jonah Cohen. He is as Jewish a person as he can be, and he tells a story about being If you go to something at Jonah's house, Jonah got Black people, the Jewish people.
Speaker 2: He's just a.
Speaker 3: Person, you know what I mean. And Jonah he doesn't try to become something that he's naughty. He teaches at the community college. You know, he's like that god. Right when when my son needs something, Jonah will take care of uncle Joonah will take care of it. I'm not talking about the binary of race. I'm talking about a person who has made a conscious effort to undermine the black community. And I have to accept that. If Candice Owns was still an employee of the a former employer. I have to accept that she would not have gone on some of the things that she's gone on and says some of the things that she said. I just have to believe that I use her and OJ as parallels here. I don't have any ill feelings towards Candace Owner in terms of I don't know how to feel like hate one where I'm just talking about what she's presented in the world. I'm talking about what the way I've internalized what she said. I use her. And I want to say this because I don't want to just stay on the on the right. Because you and I both know this. There are more than a few people who we consider left leaning progressives who ain't much different than.
Speaker 2: She is, oh no question, and they hide behind their left foff. Don't just let me just told you.
Speaker 3: Let me just told you that politics ain't no safe for black people either. You don't want them making decisions on your behalf either, because I'm telling you right now. So what happens is they get away with so many of these people who are on the left, who are black, who are highly educated. If you check the pedigree, check the pedigree check, they just the internet talking about what they feel and what they don't feel, and they can they always have as their as their rules, as their as their anti hero Trump, so they can always talk about Trump what you actually do, just because you have a Twitter following of just because they trust you on MSNBC, just because they trust you as the DEI person at your company. What I want people to understand, real and true is these large white corporations and universities do not hire African Americans who they think are going to change the college's culture, the company's culture. So if you see somebody doctor Gay who is heading up something like Harvard University, they hired her because they knew that she wasn't going to do a damn thing to change that institution nothing. She wasn't going to do anything to make that organization have more African Americans work there, or become employees there, I mean, or go to school there. The point I'm making is this, the conversation is bigger than looking at the right leaning or rightest black people who left behind, like the Clarence Thomases or the Candice Owners, because there are people on the left who the same damn thing, and we all know who they are and if you and I I try to call the people's names.
Speaker 1: People be like yo for real, yes, and I know people are and I want to reset again. Thank you so much of people like nat Babe twenty one, who's saying I'm watching you guys on YouTube and she's on the Instagram because she don't want to miss a word. For some reason, I'm gonna let you reset. I don't know if you take your headset out. We do hear you well, but I'm nervous that I don't know if your battery is going out again. Guys, can we got about eight hundred people who are watching on my stream on my YouTube. We also have this on two way as well, Google two Way on your YouTube. Teeslim figure out and tap in on this. This is a very very important conversation with my friend doctor Steve Perry. I just wanted to reset. This is normally just a thirty minute show, but as you see, this is how we talk all the time, guys. And you may be wondering, and I won't hold you up too much longer because we can do several shows on it. It's so many onions with this old Jay Simpson and people wonder, well, how did we get into politics. How did it go from talking about oj Simpson dying of cancer to what was happening at the trial at that time?
Speaker 2: How did it go to interracial relationships?
Speaker 1: How did it slide down the Candice Owans and the Jonathan Majors, And then how do we start talking about conservative and liberal?
Speaker 2: Well, the answer is for those that did not live in real.
Speaker 1: Time during that time, this case had all of those things.
Speaker 2: All of those things.
Speaker 1: It was one of the most profound real time case studies on race.
Speaker 2: I encourage you to call.
Speaker 3: The trial of the century. It was not because a reason, not because a man killed his wife. Because you can watch forty eight hours every Friday night and or twenty twenty and you will see guess who killed the wife? Right, let's guess who killed her. That happens all the time. Sadly, marriage apparently brings out the worst in somebody's folks, but that happens all the time. This was the trial of the century because for the first time you saw black privilege up on trial. Is it possible in the States of America for black privilege to beat white privilege?
Speaker 2: Right of unheard of?
Speaker 1: We forgot about what was happening with Chris Darden, who was the prosecutor on the top. Still a black man, still a black man that lived in the community, still a black man.
Speaker 2: That now again Chris.
Speaker 3: Darden representatlack of OJ.
Speaker 1: That's right, black of an OJ and also representing many of black people who had their children murdered. And also want to bring this point because again I know people don't like it when I bring this up, but it is important. Johnny Cochran was a prosecutor at one point in time. I know y'all don't know that. I know y'all liked it. Ignore that, But Johnny Cocker was a prosecutor at one time.
Speaker 3: Folks, which means he's putting black people away, which means he's putting black people away.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear about this.
Speaker 1: So there's so many different layers to this that we can talk about. And and before we get I want to be respectful your time, because guys, again they're saying they're putting the three. They want you to come back down there because what about what Chris This ring Chris Darden now at the game, remember he went through like a depression with it.
Speaker 3: Actually hurt me because because because because Chris well, here's why Chris got jammed up. He got caught up in undertoe again. I want us to be reminded that during this time, our music was telling us to fight the power. I mean, you could go to a party and listen to revolutionary music. Not shake that ass. Make let that Cuchie breathe. That's not what that That's not what we were listening to.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest now, now hold on now because it.
Speaker 1: Was now I'm texting it to I don't want to not because I gotta make sure I'm that that wasn't I want I'm a liar because I was in nineteen ninety five. I want to be clear, and nineteen ninety five I was listening to say that came I and that came afterwards.
Speaker 2: Of Little Kim and Muss, that came out.
Speaker 3: I just want to make it, but I want to But that came, But that came afterwards.
Speaker 2: That came afterwards, that.
Speaker 3: Ninety five, No, ninety five, that came after the eighties where you had talk clear about the.
Speaker 1: Time because I was because I want people to think of mine because I.
Speaker 2: Was absolutely that was back.
Speaker 3: That was back in the mid in the late eighties, early nineties was when I was when hip hop was alive and breathing in me, and that you got to be clear all.
Speaker 2: The time got to some time.
Speaker 3: But but but but the point is that it came afterwards, and that that was That wasn't the that wasn't the move. So you had all these things happened. Remember, you also had for the first time people like Eddie Murphy. You had people who were black people who were in the media who were creating these stories. Harlem Knights, Yes, Harlem Knights had come out. Harlem Knights.
Speaker 1: You guys can put a pin right there, right quick, quick, pin, because I want you to know. I want people to know why Harlem Knights was so important, How how sharp those brothers dress, because we gotta deal with that, Jeffery, the way everything about it, the way Johnny Cochran walked in.
Speaker 3: The room with his he channeled all of that. Johnny Cocker, to your point about teaching how to win in the court of public opinion, Johnny Cocker said, oh, black medallion's no gold. I got that oh coming in, sharp, I got that oh coming in. Johnny Cochran literally went on the shelf and he went into the cupboard of the black community, and he pulled out all of the greatest hits. If Johnny Cochran could have come into come into the courtroom with a theme song, he would have come in with a theme song. He had come in with something like Marvin Gay, what's going on? Johnny Cock would have clicked his his Coke value bow and then coming there we heard that way he came in there, OJ was just the scene of the action. He wasn't why we were there. People didn't come out loving OJ for that, right, they celebrated Johnny, not o.
Speaker 1: Jake right, right, and that and that is truly what it was about. I wonder though I think that has shifted. Well, No, I think it hasn't shifted. I think I think that the I think the message now is even stronger than before because since then we've seen more of because remember at the beginning of the conversation you pointed out for the first time seeing what we already knew about Ronnick, about Rodney King. Then we've seen tray Von Martin, even though that wasn't about the police. Still, we've seen George Floyd. We've seen you know, the many, many many murder. We've seen the Marbrary of them, all of them.
Speaker 2: We've seen it.
Speaker 1: So now, even more now than ever, people are saying, this was a chance, this was an opportunity that the man beat the system. And that's what this has always been about. And White America has said, and even something Black America. But a person was murdered. Speak to that a little bit, doctor parent that I and I won't be mindful of your time. But why do you think that people are dismissive of the murder?
Speaker 2: Do you think I do?
Speaker 3: I do? I do? I mean? Because here's what it is. Even we in this conversation, I haven't talked about Nicole Brown. Whatever she was, wasn't She was much more than a white woman. She was somebody's mother, She was a wife. It appears that she was someone who people cared about very deeply. She has a daughter, sister, and that she is now tied through eternity to an issue of race, when one might be able to argue that, at least for her, she fell in love with the man and they raised children together. She'd be in her seventies now, right. Maybe I guess she's a little younger than him, so maybe she would not don't know her exact age. It's a terrible thing. And again, anyone who's ever been in in the domestic violence situation, or who has been raised in one, or who has worked with people or in one and stuff ain't cool, man, It's not. It's not cool. And in at least from why do you think they're ignored?
Speaker 2: Why do you think that was ignored?
Speaker 1: Like when we look at the stats on domestic violence that can that can absolutely turn into murder. Why do you think that that was ignored as not even a possibility?
Speaker 3: You know, because as I said at the top of this, OJ Simpson was sold to us as the goofy, appable guy. He was Patrick Mahomes doing insurance commercials. That's who he was to us. He was a funny guy who didn't take himself too seriously. He was in the Naked Gun movies, which was a huge franchise for a lot of us to go and watch. And you have to keep in mind, for real, for real, you mentioned good Times, You mentioned uh, you mentioned good Times, You mentioned Sanfordan's son and other Jeffersons. You mentioned those three. Yes, but I want people to keep in mind that during this time, we rarely saw black people on television. You could watch the Today Show and see all black hosts on the Today Show on any given day. But I grew up during a time when you would get a call, yo, there are black people on TV. Turn the channel, and so you turn the channel trying to find black people on television. I grew up during a time when you could only listen to black music, meaning not Michael Jackson. On Sundays on college radio in most parts of the country, it would star Wars Gospel, it would work its way to R and B, it would go to hip hop, and then they would finish with the Quiet Storm. That's the only way you could hear black music, so or if you went to the record store and bought it. So keep in mind that there were very few black people who were the chosen ones, and he was the chosen one. He was the chosen one. Whether we liked him or whether we dont we could accept the fact that he was a Housen trophy. What we could accept the fact he was an affable guy. He was by and large a likable god.
Speaker 1: So and even though he was the chosen one, and he and he would man it would say abandon us or maybe black women at that time. I wasn't allowed to know what that felt like when he left his black wife. But I think there's something too you saying he was the chosen one. And when it appeared that he was willing to come back, we wanted that so bad. We wanted we want we want to know that we're worthy enough to circle the block. We want to know that, you know, even though we that that we even know we know the reasons why he did, there's.
Speaker 2: Something in our mind that delusion.
Speaker 3: We want to know that maybe he just something happened before that though, and the sins that I remember, so something happened even before the trial. Remember the white Bronco chase, the low speed Bronco chase, his boy, his boy right, ron is driving the car. He's driving the Bronco. OJ's laid down in the back and on the overpasses people had signs, run OJ run, Run OJ run. This is in the same city that had had a riot a couple of years before, because a black man has been beating damn near to death. And so now they're like, this one's gonna get away. Not like he could go anywhere. He just went home. But so it was more than whether he was coming back. Black people and other people were on the overpasses sharing this man on like one of us maybe will make it out. It's awful that children have a mother who's murdered. It's awful that a father has a daughter who's who's who've been murdered. It's awful that a sister and nieces and children who that they that they'll never get to. They don't know what her sense of humor would have turned into when she got older. And you know what kind of grandmother would she had been, and you know what was she had done with her life. Maybe she'd have done something really really powerful, or maybe she wouldn't, but we'll never know, because in my opinion, OJ killed her. And people, I want to say this one quick thing about this really quickly. People say, well, how could he have done that? People forget that OJ Simpson was a very large man, very large strong man. We're not talking about a guy who's five five, one hundred and forty pounds going up against his sisters one hundred forty four pounds and they date. It's like a bang out, which I'm a very small young woman and a very large, strong, world class athlete.
Speaker 1: Right that was on the field being hit and hitting strong men him.
Speaker 3: And treated those men who hit him like tissue paper. When you see what he was able to do with the strongest men alive at that time, Yes, what he was able to do, y'all didn't want OJ grabber you. You didn't want OJ grabb.
Speaker 1: We're talking about a woman that was probably one hundred and twenty pounds at best, and and even rob at the yeah, even right at the time. Very well, I think he was one hundred thirty pound like for the like very small small people. And I this is a whole nother podcast because I really love getting to the evidence of this case. But but continue, because you know they're gonna be man saying, oh, Jay didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Where where are y'all getting?
Speaker 3: I'm just get particular.
Speaker 2: Letnim look at the evidence. We'll go They say blood would have been.
Speaker 3: Everything, We'll go ahead, Yeah it was. But anyway, I digree. So for me, for me, we owe it to every single woman who right now is thinking I ain't gonna say nothing. I ain't gonna say nothing because if I say something, people and think I'm lying, like they thought Nicole Brown Sceptum was lying and I'm not gonna say nothing about it, you know, I'm just gonna take this ass and maybe he'll stop and maybe, you know, because he doesn't beat my ass every day, he beats to some time. And so when he's not beating my ass, he's a good dude, Like he's a good father, he's a good earner, whatever they think, the good is that he is that's worked the behind women that they keep taking. We cannot have a conversation about OJ Simpson without having a very important conversation about how part is an eye as a heterosexual black man and father who has sons, so I'm not even talking about my daughters, who has sons, have an obligation to make sure that when dudes do, when we know dudes put their hands on women, calling the bitches that they are calling, the clowns that they are calling, the weak men that they are. If you're a man you put your hands on a woman, you're a punk. You're weak ass punk. I don't care what they get mouthy. If you're concerned about a woman beating your ass, we got a bigger problem. So in this case, we have to take this opportunity in the most guttural honest sense and call out what needs to be called out. We could talk about him being a sellout and him being in the white communion and the waters other things. That is cool. But if and we do know this from the evidence of the case, that he did put his hands on her, we know he did. We know he absolutely did. She didn't give herself that black eye, she didn't beat herself up. Come on, man, come on man. But he got away with because he was the chosen one. He got away with it and not everybody, very few people are married to going with Dayton whatever we call it today, messing with a world class athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well she you can hear on the novel one tape saying he's going to get away with it.
Speaker 1: Again, I mean, she literally was saved when she was called But and again this is not me caping form the cole. I'm just telling you guys in the comments what the evidence actually was. And there was also a lot of evidence that did not make it to the trial. For example, the woman that said she saw O. J. Simpson driving away from Bundy Drive, but because she went and talked to the media of the National Choir picked it up.
Speaker 2: That was thrown out.
Speaker 1: There was also evidence where the guy who lived in the Coal's apartment complex said I heard a black man you know, arguing with them, and that got thrown out because Johnny Cochran, again being a spectacular defense attorney as he should, got that thrown out because he said, what as a black man sound like? There was many pieces of this that did not make it, you know, to the trial because again the legal team was indeed the defense attorney would and then we'll close out here because I again, I could have a whole podcast just about the evidence along. But for me, even as a child or teenager at that time, for me, it was always and all those things you talk about, you know where people can say circumstantial or just caulse somebody beat somebody on me, they'll kill him. For me, it was always the limo driver. That was always because I always looked at the limo driver doesn't have a dog in the fight. It was documented what time he arrived, and there was ten tens somewhere around that time. It was documented that he called in to say, hey, mister Census not here. It was documented that he called back, that he rang the doorbell several several times, it was documented that he called back and said, oh, I see him now. You saw the black, shadowy figure going.
Speaker 2: To the house, And it was documented when he came out.
Speaker 1: All of these things of that time, of what was happening during that time was documented.
Speaker 2: And so I always looked at that piece of evidence.
Speaker 1: And they've done this, guys like you guys got to go back and just watch all of this and come up with your own narrative. But the between him and Kato Kato, Kato saying that he heard the thump at that exact time on his air condition, yes, that he was on the phone with his friend and said, I just heard something outside that that was where the gut the glove was found.
Speaker 2: All of those things with people that didn't have a dog in the fight, that really had no reason to for that timeline to add up. They checked the phone records. He was on the phone at that time, like all of it.
Speaker 1: So for me, it was always about looking at what happened during that time. Either you did it or you know who did it, or you were there or something there was some connection with that. And remember he did a big pr campaign after he got away, after he was found not guilty I'm gonna find who murdered my wife. We never heard anything. What we did here was a book that said if I did it.
Speaker 2: What we did here was mocking.
Speaker 1: Like guys, now you can go on Instagram and look, well and somebody saying the glove didn't fit. Again, these are people that just watched the trial this one time and see these or see these men.
Speaker 3: You took a glove and if you take a lether glove and you're dropping in water and let it dry on two sides of the smaller, correct.
Speaker 2: That's the correct. That's the fact.
Speaker 1: And it was also under another piece of plastic. He had to have his hands in plastic. So again, there are many many things that people have to look at when you look at this case. The dramatization that was in the media, like people are saying in the comments old the glove didn't fit, the genius line by Johnny Cochran from the esteemed Johnny Cocker, if it doesn't fit, you mustle quit.
Speaker 2: All of those things. The media going out.
Speaker 1: Johnny Copper also organized around this, had community activists around this, had people on the ground who were sending the message, which is why when I train how to win in the.
Speaker 2: Court of public opinion.
Speaker 1: Is very important that you're keeping the narrative, that we create our own narrative. This is why I tell people when people say protests don't matter and what you're doing done matter, Yes it does, because what we're doing is actually preparing that jury. And we can see this by example with the George Floyd matter, with when Derek Sharvin was on trial. Guys, go back and look and see where the jury where the guy the people who actually recorded said, well, I knew to take out my phone and record it because I knew something wasn't right about this.
Speaker 2: Well, how did they learn this?
Speaker 1: Through the protests, through the education of social justice, through saying if you see something recorded.
Speaker 2: Through all of these things, guys, we have crew.
Speaker 1: That's right, created an environment where now you are actually getting the jury, getting your jury to think how you need them to think when they get in that booth, in that in that uh in that booth, and it has it has played for our advantage. The problem means people don't want to sign up for jury duty. They do anything to get out of jury. Do not understanding we need you in that needs you there because you have a different perspective and that's what you see, uh with George something. Somebody also said Mark Ferman, we forgot all about that. That's a whole other conversation. When Mark Furman when they when he when they called him on tape saying the racist.
Speaker 2: Things that he said, it was over with from the idea of.
Speaker 1: Reason, that's right, that's right when the person is racist as hell, that founds the glove.
Speaker 2: Find the glove. We automata saying there's.
Speaker 1: No way he can be telling truth. And people also need to look at reasonable doubt. I encourage you to go look that up because there a lot of people like throwing that out.
Speaker 2: All you need is one reason that really.
Speaker 1: Reason of doubt doesn't mean just anything. It has to be something of stack, you know, that makes sense. And so the way this dream team put it together from the forensic science with DNA, which by the way, guys Bary Shake even today founded, uh the heit Assist project got plenty brothers out right now. People don't even know about that. The Nocent Price Jack, we do work with them. Barry Shak founded that based on DNA. When you had Barry shape with DNA, when you had Flee Bailey, notorious for how he delivered, and how he was able to drive a point home. He was the one that questioned Mark Ferman. You know, people didn't like it the way I questioned Vivid Ramasama. They still talking about there to this day. But that was a Flee Bailey style.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember Doctor Perry watching this as a teenager saying, yes, I'm the Aflee Bailey. That was who I gravitated to. It wasn't necessarily the smooth you know, Johnny Cochran.
Speaker 2: It was the Flee ba Bailey. Did you or did you not say nigga?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: It was it was all of those things. It was the Carl Douglas. It was that meticulously went through blah blah blah. It was Barry Shack, who was the DNA king. This was when DNA was early in its early days and was able to show one in five.
Speaker 2: Billion, whatever that number was.
Speaker 1: This could have possibly been anybody you know, putting that data out.
Speaker 2: There strateges it going through.
Speaker 1: It was Barry Shack saying how about that, mister funk. I'm telling you I know this case inside.
Speaker 3: And you do you do? And here's that's the that's the inside of the courtroom. But what we also have to think about this happening. During this time, we talked about music, We talked about music being conscious and black consciousness, and and and we talk about the creation for the first time and of not black exploitation cinema, but actual black celebrations cinema, cinema, boomerang, house party, all these movies that we were starting to watch that were showing black people as being like just people, like normal people. And that we also have to realize that we saw Johnny Cochran as a lead attorney. Now you turn on the TV, you see a whole bunch of black people play judges, and but that's not It was not the case back then. We were criminals and everything like that. I'm gonna take it one step further. I'm taking that one step to come go back to go forth. Remember Doug Williams, whose football I have right here. Doug Williams had just been it, just won a Super Bowl. We still didn't have black quarterbacks in the NFL. Did you think we don't have black coaches? Now?
Speaker 2: What did you think we had back that?
Speaker 3: Black people were not in leadership roles? All we were were athletes at best. So here you have Johnny Cochran playing way outside it, punching way above his weight, leading the dream team against the United States of America. Come on, not since us Houston in u In Brown digital or or Thurgood Marshall, and not since Ben had you found a black person as an attorney in such a high profile role. And he wasn't this time fighting a race case. He was actually fighting a criminal case. We had never seen anything like that. There was no such thing. And then it was on TV. There cameras in the courtroom. What we saw for the first time was justice unfolding. Because to your points, as a lot of black people have never been in the court room. We never been jurors. We always been defendants. So we've seen government from a whole different side. So when you see someone like when you see someone like who I'm thinking of the defense the uh prosecutor. You said his name earlier, Chris Darden, Chris Darden. When you talking about someone like Chris Darden, he's working for the government. He's just working for the man. He ain't nothing but an overseer. So you're seeing a time in American history when all these elements are coming together. I don't care if you're watching the Redskins fan. I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan. I as a Dallas college This should be a sacrilegious I have a signed football from Doug Williams because when Doug Williams won the MVP for the Super Bowl, we won the Super Bowl. It proved that we could do it. When Johnny Cochrane did that, he proved to so many young black men that we could be that too, so many young black women that we could do that too. You know, you connected to athlete Bailey, but what we all know is that the quarterback of that team was John Cochran.
Speaker 2: Situation cat.
Speaker 1: And I and and I want to be clear like I connected to you know, I'm a bootleg preacher.
Speaker 2: You know I be preaching, So I.
Speaker 1: Connected to the pasttorial delivery of Johnny Cochrane for sure. I'm just saying in my debate style that, yeah, that some people. I got to be clear back for the people on here because I want to think that I'm connecting no white man when it comes to my debate style that people still can't get over there. They say that every day on the Breakfast Club. I has vivid Ramsami a year ago and they still talking about that and and the reON because it.
Speaker 2: Is so tenacious and so uh.
Speaker 1: Like a guy told me last week, ambushy, you know that that style. I was watching it in real time, but I still appreciated the pasttorial.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I do that sometimes people on my on my I G.
Speaker 1: They see me, uh, I may come for some and then all immediately go to what you know, I still love you, sweetheart.
Speaker 2: That was the Johnny cockran stad we judge, O, pardon me, judge.
Speaker 1: You know he had a way of a charisma about himself, so I picked up for me.
Speaker 2: I picked up. I tried to look at his charisma.
Speaker 1: I looked at Ethlee Bailey, known as a junkyard dog. I always wanted to be the junkyard dog. I looked at you know, what Carl Douglas was doing. I looked at the ability for Barry Shack to break down DNA in an understandable way. Which is why Charlemane caused me to hook whisper, because he said, you can explain things in ways that people cannot. And I remember, you know, him being able to make it so simple for people. How they were walking over the evidence, how you know they weren't being careful. They didn't have gloves, they didn't all that, and I remember the moment of saying, how about that, mister Fond and just being able to show that they didn't have gloves at that particular time when they were picking up that particular piece of evidence. It wiped out everything in addition to the Mark Ferman. So it was so many layers of this case that I just wanted to talk about.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate you being today.
Speaker 1: I'm really I keep saying, I'm gonna let you go that I'm gonna spend more time talking about because there is one, you know, Rest in peace to O. J. Simpson, whether you loved, did not love, admired for whatever reason, resented, whatever it is. A family did lose a dad, you know, and and a father and all of those things. And at the same time, so did Nicole Brown Simpson. This is going to bring Ron and Ron Goldman, and people are mad at at Caitlin. And I'm gonna say this to the people who and you know, I don't care for nobody, but I'm gonna say this to the people who got on my live saying, you know, Kaitlyn Jenner was wrong for what she said. Well, people have to remember at that time, she Caitlyn Jenner was the husband of the Kardashian who was Nicole's one of the Cole's best friends. So and a lot of people may not know that. So when they when the Kardashians was going through this, Just so y'all don't know because a lot of people don't do their history. They just be talking, Uh, Kardashian, what's my mom's name, Missus kardashi you know, for example, forgetting Chris Chris. Chris Kardashian was the wife of Robert Kardashian, who was the lead attorney on the Simpson case. Yes, before you, that's why he was losing the case.
Speaker 2: And he did not believe. He believed in o J.
Speaker 1: He was the first one there. People need to understand this. He was the first one that he was his best friend. But as a gift, that's right. As the evidence started unfolding, he began to believe that o J did it.
Speaker 2: Now he stayed on the case through resentment.
Speaker 1: I'm not through resent I don't know why he stayed on the case, but he started to believe I don't believe OJD. And if people go back and look at the verdict, and and look at when they said not guilt.
Speaker 2: See look at Kardashian's face. He literally shod like he said, I can't, I can't believe it. He literally he thought, oh, Jay did it.
Speaker 1: So I want guys to understand that that when you're seeing Haitlen Jenner make that comment. She was the husband of the best friend of that family at that time. And they said, but.
Speaker 3: They were all friends. They were all part of a friendship network. So it's just imagine if you will your friend is killed by another one of your friends, right, I mean, he y'all ain't gonna be like all rip sleeping peace. You're not gonna do that. You're gonna be like good riddans at best. The most polite thing you're gonna say if your man, if you cool with a couple and he kills her or she him and gets away with it, y'all probably gonna have some choice word for him too.
Speaker 1: So and in the me and for them, they believed he did it, and they believed it based upon the relationship that.
Speaker 2: They had they were when they were around her.
Speaker 1: So God, you gotta, yeah, you gotta be mindful of y'all, y'all don't understand like if you, if you, if you with the cruel people, y'all all growing up together, you'all married at the same time. You know, when certain people come to the crib and y'all about to have a cookout or a party, whatever you like, they've just been arguing.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: Dang, she come in, she crying, and he come in. He voices rats because they didn't have another argument. And then you hear you hear she's dead. And did you know them well enough to know that she has told you that he beats your ass, right, I mean, I will hold the grudge on that one.
Speaker 1: Mean, I mean that definitely she had Definitely she has the right to have an opinion on it, you know. Uh. And and so I'm just pointing it out for those who are not familiar with it, that that is coming from a very personal place. It's not just a hot take, you know, whether you agree with it or not. Kaitlin's not just making a comment based upon you know, just how do I feel. It is really from a relationship. So when people say she was out of pocket, and I'm just addressed to some of the people that were here saying she had PAGA. I don't know, she got a personal opinion based on the relationship. We're probably more out of pocket than they are because we don't know who those people are, never have met them, and never will.
Speaker 3: So I'll say this, I'll say this, I'm I don't know whose death I'm going to sell them the break, So when somebody's dead and dead, I don't I'm not gonna say there and say that. I want great things to happen for everybody, but death is death.
Speaker 4: And everybody's gonna die by the way, and so and so in terms of good riddings, I don't know from me, I think, as we've all been taught, if you don't have anything nice to.
Speaker 3: Say, you know, you don't say anything. So I don't know. But again, well, I think just being fair, I didn't lose the friend, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't lose the friends.
Speaker 1: And again, because there's gonna be so many conversations about this, so many people unpacking this, so many people, I think I think her point was that was let me put this out here too for y'all to deal with.
Speaker 2: I want you to recognize what.
Speaker 1: This meant to me, because not saying anything at all was you know, we talk about this all the time, messages continue to go on.
Speaker 2: And on and there's nothing. There's nothing there for checks and balances, So I think.
Speaker 3: And I didn't hear the whole quote. And I didn't hear the whole quote, so I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: It was just that. It wasn't anything else, but that just good riddings. Okay.
Speaker 3: So again for me, I care not what Caitlyn Jenner says about anything. For me, the the real story is that Ron Goldman is dere Nicole Bron Simpson is dead. Now O J. Simpson is dead. We can talk about as we have the what that meant during that time, what this case meant during that time, and adding context for those who may not have lived through it. Uh. But I returned to I cannot have this conversation again as a heterosexual male, father, husband, friend and not acknowledge that it ain't cool to beat on a woman. It ain't cool to grab on a woman. If y'all are in that place. And I say this to the brothers, if you are in the place with a sister right now where you feel like y'all can't just argue like normal people and you can't keep your hands to yourself, your help, because I recognize a lot of us grew up watching and being told that that was the way that you take care of a woman. You gotta, you gotta, you gotta treat it a certain way. And I've heard that. I've heard those same things, and I know it's not true. But sometimes you grow up with certain you're being taught something and you develop an accent and you begin to think that way, and it's the wrong way to think and it's the wrong way to act. So if you're in a relationship brother right now, where you feel like you got to put your hands on a woman, he don't and being go get some help or see leave, if that's what it is that y'all can't just argue, and I mean, hey spirited argument. The names get called, things get said, But once you crossed the line got to put your hands on somebody, I think I'll say this. I think a lot of times I don't know about in the excemption situation, but I think in a lot of these forty eight hours things, I think it was an argument that just went one step you better not, I will, you better not I will and boom, and it wasn't premeditated, but they you know, that's you can tell that by the fact they didn't clean it up, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The person I got caught because they didn't plan this thing. It was just like went there. I'm saying, if you're in that space, either as a man or a woman, leave please get help, please, because your children don't deserve to go to your funeral.
Speaker 5: Behind Well, some people say to relatedly, this was you know, but then that's a whole other conversation, and it goes to if you believed he did it or not, which is a whole other conversation that we can unpack another time.
Speaker 2: This was supposed to be thirty minutes. I appreciate your time to go by large.
Speaker 3: No, I love you.
Speaker 2: This was great.
Speaker 1: Guys put a three in the chat if you enjoyed it, and you're right.
Speaker 2: I don't care about what Caitlyn has to say too.
Speaker 1: I just want people to know because that was twenty nine years ago, thirty years ago, and so people are just literally they don't even know who Caitlyn Jenner was before in that relationship. So I wanted to put that out there before that was Bruce talking, you know, from that relationship at that time, and people just really have to do that research on this case because there are so many layers, and so I encourage you guys to look at the case, go back, look at the original YouTube, take the time and watch the case for yourself. Don't just watch the fiction documentary. They're all over the top a lot of the fiction movies then there definitely, you know, can be one sided.
Speaker 2: Take the time. If you were interested in.
Speaker 1: Community organizing and how to win in the court of public opinion, watch it.
Speaker 2: If you were interested in the law, if you were innocent.
Speaker 1: This is the case that made me want to do cable news commentary because that was when CNN actually guys, so that you know, really started doing twenty four hour news.
Speaker 2: At that time, there was no twenty four hour news.
Speaker 1: This case showed that the ratings can bring in twenty four hour news. I was addicted to build a network network and an industry, yes, a whole industry. I was fascinated with cored TV. I talked so much about this that even in the Ben Crompt Civil documentary they filmed me watching this case, but it never made it to the It got cut on the cutting floor. But this is one of the most fascinating things that I've ever that I still look to to this day. From skill, from debate, from and I'm talking just from a technical side, and then the cultural side of race.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, and I want I think as we close, I think people should also go look back at the music that was of the time. Go look at the lyrics of the music. Go look at the go look at what black people watching during that time. What movies would there work. Remember this is the post Cosme Show era, so this is post Cosby Show on post a different world. Those were coming off the air. This was a time when it was still a big joke. I mean, this is when Tubac said that a black man to be president Like that was one of the most revolutionary things that you could say because it was just so implausible. So this was during that time. This was all during that time. So look at the fact that there was the million Man March. Look at the fact that there were these other things going on in the zeitgeist. So you see the swirl. Think of Reginald Denny, who was who was the truck driver who got beaten up on Crenshaw by people who were celebrating then they celebrated the fact that this white man who he was just at work, right, he ain't Doude. There's no evidence that Reginald Denny did anything to anyone ever. And they hit this man with I've forgotten what it was, something heavy and hard. It was something like a break or something, but it was something that heavy and hard that could have killed the man. So the point is that these were all all the things. And if you look at this, I've heard it said that a riot is the language of the unheard. This was a cultural riot that was taking shape, and the closest thing that we would see would be the post George Floyd experience and if during that time one of the greatest athletes of that time were to find himself in this situation, it would be the closest thing to it. But that didn't happen, thank god for everyone.
Speaker 1: Maybe for a part too, because again we also had to look at what happened after that. That is when the the retaliation for the war on drugs and because again these same brothers who were doing the peace treating were then talks.
Speaker 3: Yes, girl Clint got caught up.
Speaker 1: In mass incarceration, and many would say that that might have been a backlash.
Speaker 2: I got a ho you've been talking about that's right.
Speaker 1: I got a whole poem about it, about it all started with Rodney King. They had to do something to get those brothers off the scene, locked them up, young brothers got stuck and now they man. I got a whole poem about like what actually happened.
Speaker 2: During that era.
Speaker 1: So maybe you come back and we can unpack that. Cause again, this guy's is so critical. You're gonna hear a lot of things out there about this commentary.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining me to hear this piece with doctor Steve Perry.
Speaker 1: And I've held him over way longer than I've expected, but this was just such a good conversation I couldn't stop it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, doctor Perry.
Speaker 1: Make sure you follow up Perry on also social media platforms. Please support his school Capitatory Prep Capital Preparatory School.
Speaker 2: A choice school.
Speaker 1: You can see him and I have a great conversation also on Tears on ten when we talked about school choice versus public schools. That's a great debate between him and Gary Chambers. So just a great friend of mine. When we talk about guys when we're talking off the air, so you guys got a chance to peep in.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, doctor Perry. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: Love, take care.
Speaker 1: If you like what you heard on Straight Shot No Chaser, please subscribe and drop a five star review and tell a friend. Straight Shot No Chaser is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network in iHeartRadio, ANTISLM, figure Out, and I like to thank our producer editor mixer Dwayne Crawford and our executive producer Charlotte Magnea God. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.