Speaker 1: Don't want to ask your question real good.
Speaker 2: Let's just keep it real straight. Shout with No Chase, say I'm gonna get a little bit rougher. I'm here for it.
Speaker 3: Those who really believe in the American process, all of us street shot No Chase with your girl Teslim Figure Out on the Black Effect podcast Network.
Speaker 2: At work Tea, everybody, this is Teslim Figure Out.
Speaker 3: Tap in with Teslim Figure Out, a news show. I think we're on episode eight. I believe very very excited about this new platform. Shout out to all of the team that is making this work. A new platform called two Way. Shout out to the homie Chris Gotti. Today We're gonna do something a little bit different. I am also streaming live on my Instagram. Shout out to my Instagram family. I see you guys popping up.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I see my YouTube family popping up. I see my Twitter family popping up.
Speaker 2: I'm doing this on.
Speaker 3: Purpose because I have a very very special guest with me, doctor Steve Perry, and I want to involve those that follow my work and his work because we do, I guess you would call it cross pollinate in many of the same circles, and so I thought this was a really really good conversation Instagram family. As you know, I am always looking at your comments, so I will be looking down and on the two Way app. Let me give a moment to explain what that will be. It will be an app very similar to what we do on Instagram. So you guys know my comment caucus. I see you in the building. I see you, Cliff, he said, he is the chairman of the comment Caucus. And so I'd like to everybody knows on Instagram that I love to bring you in my conversations.
Speaker 2: You are literally my third host.
Speaker 3: So as you watch this, I am going to direct you to watch this on two Way on YouTube stream streaming right now on the two Way app on YouTube. My apology so you is Google and put in two way and put in just put in two Way, tesslim figure o that app should that YouTube channel should pull up, and then you can watch us live.
Speaker 2: But fear not, this.
Speaker 3: Link will be available if you want to actually see the video. So if you're on Instagram saying hey I can't see the video, let them know comment a caucus chair, I see you in the building. Let people know that they will be able to watch this video. We're gonna have this up this evening, no later than in the morning, so let's get straight to it. So, Wow, I was going to come on and talk about something else today. I wanted to talk about abortion. I wanted to talk about what's happening in politics. But then we learned of the passing of O. J.
Speaker 2: Simpson.
Speaker 3: I immediately got on the phone to talk to doctor Steve Perry because this was such an important conversation and those of you know, I normally don't just follow whatever's tree, you know, whatever conversation is trending. I don't just jump on every conversation for the sake of clicks and views. But this is so important because it really is was a milestone in my life. Would it is This particular case in nineteen ninety five when I was in high school really made me want to get into the legal profession. It also showed me what commentating was all about on court TV. You know, I learned that, Wow, you can be an attorney and have an opinion without getting in trouble and TV all at the same time. My mother was the news director's assistant, and we would come home and she would record this case every day on VHS.
Speaker 2: For those who don't know what that is, it is actually a tape that you used.
Speaker 3: To have to put in a machine that would record. And so this was just a pivotal, pivotal time in my life. There's probably not a motion, an objection and piece of evidence that I don't know about this case. I literally watch it even until this day. It is something that that just from a legal standpoint, has always been fascinating. Man set aside of O. J. Simpson, but just the case set aside. I normally, Doctor Perry, I don't even like getting in these conversations with people because I am so in deep with this case that I always feel as if, you know, I'm speaking to somebody that may not have watched it the way that I did, and I always feel that it's an uneven conversation. But you are the man for the conversation for today. We don't have a lot of time, so there's only a few things that we can unpack with this case. First, let me introduce to you doctor Steve Perry, an educator, best selling author, founder of founder and head of schools Capital Preparatory Schools, Arthur of Man Up, Nobody's Coming to Save Us? And push has come to shove. You've seen him on many platforms much larger than mine.
Speaker 2: So I am humbled in honored.
Speaker 3: He's shaking his head, humbled in honor to have him joined the little old me Teslam fiery on, tap it with tens he Hello, doctor Perry.
Speaker 4: Says, I am so humbled to be part of your great, big platform because what you do is tackle topics that other folks are either afraid to or incapable of offering up the nuances to engage in. So this is a conversation I could not be happier to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a blessing to have because you know, we unpacked things all the time, you know, and the listeners don't notice, but.
Speaker 4: We unpack all the time, the show between the shows, the show between the.
Speaker 3: Show, so they're really just going to be listening to a conversation that we would just typically have cameras off and just you know, just you and I just really talking about So we heard Ojay Sinson passed away from cancer to age of seventy six. A lot of people wasn't awhere. You know that he was suffering with cast so a lot of people do keep that private. My mother did.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: It's not something that people broadcast. I don't know how many people knew it or not. Of course, there's so many conspiracy theories that are out today. Of course there always is, UH, there's always going to be somebody on the Internet that comes up with their own theory. But I really wanted to jump in due to limited time, and thank you for taking out your in time today. There's so many different layers to this, so many different we can peel this onion all day.
Speaker 2: I really want to go back to nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Five, and now I know there's gonna be people who will say, you know, focus on the good things, focus on the NFL and eleven seasons, Focus on the Heisman Trophy, Focus on how he was regarded as one of the greatest running backs of all time. I know people say, don't talk about the negative, don't talk about, you know, all of the negative things. The reality of it is, when you are a public person, all of those things will be talked about.
Speaker 2: Even if you're not a public person.
Speaker 3: You go just to your cousin's funeral, people are gonna talk. They're gonna talk about the memories that that person left. And one of the most impactful memories that people have of O. J. Simpson, Many people who were introduced to O. J. Simpson, at least speaking for myself in high school, because when he was in his prime.
Speaker 2: I wasn't old enough to know who he was or you know, people may be familiar.
Speaker 3: He did one on good Yeah, went on good times and did hurts and all that.
Speaker 2: But I was a little girl. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: So my really first introduction of learning who OJ Simpson was and learning about him and everything about him was through the O. J. Simpson trial because I was young, so I learned everything. And one of the things in the trial is presenting that person's life from beginning to end.
Speaker 2: So I want to go back to that time.
Speaker 3: Where we were as a culture and where we are now, and if we can, if you will compare the two, because a lot has changed over nineteen ninety five versus now at that time, and then I'm going to flip it to you. At that time, there was a Black America many said that he did not do it. There was also Black America that said, if he did, let's charge it to the game. What I have noticed is in this generation, many have basically said I remember there was a time where you just could not get into a discussion on oda sins.
Speaker 2: What I said, there's no way he didn't do it, didn't do it.
Speaker 3: But now as more evidence has come out, now that the book he wrote it, if I did it has come out, Now that even there was a mean today that they were sharing what he was mocking stabbing somebody. Now that more and more has come out, there is a sector of Black America that now was saying, you know what, it might be some truth to it, but we're still going to charge it to the game. So take us back, doctor Perry, from your perspective, where were we in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: Let's see you put step back. Patrick Mahomes is arguably the most celebrated football player of his generation, and even he wasn't isn't what oj Simpson was as an actlete. For those of us who grew up in the seventies, we watched the Juice do the impossible two thousand yards in the season, things that were not even seen, and he was universally regarded as the greatest of all time. So for many of us who grew up during the seventies, he was for us a foray into great team Muhammad Ali were seen as not just athletes, but individuals who transcended times. Jim Brown along those same lines. These were men who are black, but who transcended their role as an athlete and even made their way into what we now know is mainstream. During that time, we didn't have access to somebody's every move. We could only live through the law that was created through the media. At that time that many of us had three networks ABC, NBC A, CBS, and there were not twenty four hours worth of news, so we had limited access. And so when we got access, it was through the way in which that person was portrayed, and in his case, he was portrayed as a hero. He was portrayed as an absolute hero. Put that on the shelf for a moment. Nineteen ninety one, just a couple of years before, we still did not have much access to the world at large, and there were rumors and laws and experiences of African Americans in this country of being mistreated by the police, mistreated by the justice system. And in nineteen ninety one, we saw for the first time in mass in American history, a black man in the Rodney King being beaten to what appeared to be within eaches of his death.
Speaker 3: And now you mean just to put a pin right there, meaning we saw what we already knew. I just want to put because many of us saw it, but it confirmed that we.
Speaker 1: Know correct mass but as a country, yes, for the first time we all saw. I remember being in college during that time, and I remember white kids coming to my dorm room and they were stunned, like, oh my god, can you believe it?
Speaker 4: Now? Yeah, I can believe it.
Speaker 1: The only thing I can't believe is that we finally caught.
Speaker 4: It on video.
Speaker 2: We're finally caught it.
Speaker 1: And so we as many of us, as like the American at the time, especially young black people as I was, we just knew got these mugs. This time, we finally got they ass this time. Watch and see what's gonna happen. Watching and see what's gonna happen now, watching, See what all these people in California you're gonna do. Watch and see where you have the video of this man being beaten to with inter and of his life. All of them get on, every single one of them, get off the streets, turn into riots. People were bold, they say what they got to say, and then shortly on the heels of that, our hero is accused of killing a white woman. That's the context of the beginning of the O. J. Simpson trial. It's not probable that a man of his station in life would do something like that. Many of us thought, who would even think of earning their wife? Who would lose all that O. J. Simpson happen? Who would doing so That's how we start this conversation. The conversation starts with what is today's Patrick Mahomes, what is the nineties Michael Jordan, a man who transcended his sport, was an international phenomenon, being accused of the most gruesome act of all, killing the wife that he had and the mother of his children in cold, gruesome blood. That's the foundation of the council.
Speaker 3: Now, the next layer to that would be, I want you to take us back to the obvious on It wasn't just a wife and a mother, it was a white woman.
Speaker 2: Now again, at that.
Speaker 3: Time, I was in high school and I was not the lens that I was looking through. Well, let me be clearing my mother because she was a news director's assistant, because she was in the media. My first professional meeting was in ABJ National Association Black Journey. My mother was very mindful of rest in peace of my mother also passed away with cancer, but very mindful of images, very mindful of For example, I tell people all the time, I couldn't watch Sanford and Son. She didn't like the fact that a black man was calling his son a dummy. What many people find that show hilarious, great comedy, she didn't like it. I could not watch a Good Time. That's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I could not watch Good Times.
Speaker 3: We know that we're going to be unpacking that because we know that's about to come out on Netflix, and that has sparked a lot of conversation. I'm sure you and I unpacked that. But what's so interesting, just I just want to put a pin with that, even with Good Times now, how they're seeing it in almost a parody form, we don't know yet what that looks like.
Speaker 2: That's how my mother saw it then.
Speaker 3: So when I see people applaud it and say, oh man, Good Times one of the best shows ever in history. Yes it was a black father, yes it was a black mother, all of those things. But my mother had the same problem with it. That the had with it behind the scenes. So although I did sneak to watch those shows, she was very much against itid but she was very much in supported to be watching George Jefferson. She was proud of the fact that he was an entrepreneur. She was proud of moving on up. She wanted to know, well, when are they gonna ever get out the ghetto on good times? When is it ever gonna be? You know, when do we ever get to the other side. I'm sitting out here to say, doctor Parr, because I'm trying to set the scene going back to man.
Speaker 2: I wish my mother was alive so we could talk about this. Many reasons I wish she was alive, but this.
Speaker 3: Is one, but I'm trying to paint a picture for the listeners on what that meant. When I would come in from school and we would pop in the tape that had a yellow piece of time, I mean, even be we have either a white or yellow sticker on it, I can see it's so clear. And we would watch this and unpack this because my mother wanted me to know what was happening in the media, what we're seeing the media, which we see with the infamous Johnny Cochrane. It was surreal to me to be standing next to the Carl Douglas just a couple of years ago at a press at one of his press.
Speaker 2: Conferences with Attorney care Carl Douglas says, yes, So, Carl Douglas.
Speaker 3: For those who are not familiar with this case, Carl Douglas was one of the members of the Dream Team, the infamous Dream Team that Johnny Cochrane put together. Well that we can say that he I don't want to say put together because OJ selected his team, but Johnny Cochrane ended up leading that team after the Kardashian his his friend at the time, was not leading the team in the direction that OJ believed it need to go in and Johnny Cochran came in and changed it. And guys, if you're not for me with the Oda sis in case, it is so many different movies, documentaries, things, but I encourage you to watch them.
Speaker 2: All and paler together and then.
Speaker 3: Go on YouTube and watch the actual trial. They still have the trial available every single day of YouTube. So Carl Douglass was a member of the Dream Team. So for me to be standing next to him two years ago in one of his cases, it was just surreal. I'm taking you back to that Doctor Perry, because when I was watching this ian through the lens of a teenager, I was looking at all of those different things.
Speaker 2: And we knew.
Speaker 3: What I knew about interracial relationships at the time is not what I know now.
Speaker 2: So it was not just.
Speaker 3: But my mother put me up on game that it was not just about a man killing his wife, but it was a white wife.
Speaker 2: And so then the conversation started happening.
Speaker 3: People are even saying in the comments, now, if he killed his black wife, it would have never been a thing.
Speaker 2: You said, you were in grad school at the time.
Speaker 3: What was the conversation about it being a white woman at the time, and why did that make a difference? And why did we give a pass? Because let's be honest about it. O. J. Simpson to many abandoned his community. Johnny Cochrane had to go in and blackify without a new word that I just made up today his house so that when the jurors came by, he was a He took all the white pictures off the wall and put black pictures on the wall.
Speaker 2: So take us back to what how were you guys looking at it?
Speaker 4: About his I was, Yeah, so I was in social work school, which.
Speaker 5: Was overwhelmingly white and female. I was I am the only African American male who graduated from my class in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 4: So the conversations were lopside, to say the least. And it wasn't just that she was white. She was and you'll understand the term that she was pretty. She was a pretty white woman, blond and blonde in all that matters. It does matter. And during that time, one of the things that was happening in the media, which we referred to back then, which is mostly magazines, is they would actually darken his picture to create a more brooding aesthetic. So they would go they would put filters on his picture on the cover of Newsweek and other magazines where they darkened his esthetic. Now keep in mind, during the same time, during the same time period, Mike Tyson was already in prison for rape. So you have our heroes and again, by parallel, you'd be looking at and I don't mean to make the parallel, cause I don't want to put this on this brother, but the likes of a Pat mahomes the likes of a Lebron James, you know, the lights on the money Madeweather, like, these cats were at the top of their game in terms of as athletes, as entertainers, and as wealthy people. These were the same things that were happening during that time. So we were now looking at a global phenomena, an actor who was being accused of killing a pretty white woman. And so the presentation of it was the the most taboo of taboo. Whos we ain't talking about just whistling and a white woman that em Mattil was accused of, We're talking about full fledged murder. So for many of us it was like, oh, if he is accused of killing a white woman to rap you know, so sad, too bad, brother, you about to get a death penalty, two three in a row. You gonna die. And there was no notion that there was such a thing as an African American who had the financial wherewithal to be able to hire attorneys of the caliber that he was able to every single way that you know, a social work school in Philadelphia at the time, my knowledge of attorneys was public offenders or whoever you knew who knew somebody would get you in there. Basically, you were still going to be guilty, but you would you wouldn't go to prison for the entire rest of your life. And you rolled on somebody, you might be able to see the light of day at some point. So this notion that you could even conceive that you might get off, that was something that was inconceivable. So I remember where I was the day that he was found not guilty. I watched the case myself. During that time, I was doing an internship for an African American man was pretty wealthy, and during that time I was doing an internship and in his office they had you know, the CNN. We were watching it, and I remember we were all sitting in the conference room and I remember thinking, OJ going to jail, OJ get a death sentence, OJ going to die. And then I remember seeing the verdict and I remember that CNN if it was what because I was watching seeing it in the time. I remember they went to I think it was Howard University, and people jumped up like we had just won the election of President Obama. They all there was just like this, hooray. And I'll be honest with you, I grew up watching someone be domestic I grew up in a domestic violence Ashold for the time that they were together, and I remember knowing what it's like to watch my mother under those conditions, and as a social worker, I had seen it enough time that I had seen it, and as a black man, there was a part of me that thought, did we just get away with this? We didn't get away with the Ridy King thing, didn't get away with the Mike Tyson thing. Did we just get away with this? Or a spell? Even as somebody was going with a master's on social work, the complexity of the emotions were like wow. I never thought for a second, and to this day I never thought that he was innocent.
Speaker 3: I didn't still, you know, there was a time you would never say that people would just you know, because people, truly. Johnny Cochrane had a way and this is what I actually teach a class on the how to win in the court of public opinion. He created such an environment that people actually believed that ol J. Simpson and people can are still debating this to this day, that people believe that it's no way that one man could do this, even though they showed how it's I don't people who have stabbed multiple people at that time, or even though they shown and even though the blood was everywhere, even though the DNA was everywhere, even though you know, his hand was cut, even though Johnny Cochran did such a masterful job of his job.
Speaker 2: So let's just pause there for a moment.
Speaker 3: Let's really deal with what people were celebrating, the majority of what black people were celebrating. It was not a matter of Now, there were people who believed he didn't do it, but there was not a matter of if he did it or didn't do it. It was what you said, did he actually get away with this? And did a black man an attorney make that happen? Was the system finally beat? And what I think is interesting is how O jay sentence because even at that time he went to the Black church, like Johnny Carran really did it, like he brought him to the Black church.
Speaker 2: He did all.
Speaker 3: Imagine if that happens now. I'll just use an example with Candice Owns. A couple of weeks ago, everybody kept asking my pen on that you know somebody who people said, you know, it's not for us who mocked the murder of George Floyd. Mocked the murder of George Floyd. And she's pretty much going on at Black Church tour, and I'm looking at the majority of people saying no, no, no, you can't come back over here. And then there's some people say, well, you know, she kind of got a point.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of this O. J. Simpson.
Speaker 3: He was embraced, and I want you to talk a little bit about that. Do you think some of the embracement was the the love, because you know, I did bear me when I get my words. I did a podcast on this, on the love that we have, the forgiving love that we have, the come on back home. The prodigal son was some of that, you know, were hurt that you left us, because oh, they did leave the black community.
Speaker 2: Let's just be clear.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even just about maryoring a black a white woman. It was about he disconnected himself. And it made for me to say that he was not black. He's ojay, go ahead, He's not the one.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna answer that question a second. There are many black people who we see in media today who if you check the last ten people they've spoken to, if you check the last ten people they have text, you text, the last ten people they went and hung out with, then none of them are black. They're hired by media to come on and talk from the perspective of being African American, but many of them are on MSNBC and CNN. They don't have black friends, they don't have black partners, they don't live in the black community at all, not at all. They can reflect on having grown up in the whatever community. But if you look, they went to our lady of this or that, or prep for this or that, and they went to this elite school, and so you'll hear them. Those people spend this significant amount of their time in the black community. Here the distinction between them and of the black people. But many white people don't know the difference. They just see two black people. They don't know that there's a significant, not nuanced difference between these people who've only gone to private white schools and then to an elite college, but who were still phoenotypically black, and these people who are phoenosipically black, but who spend the lion's share of their time engaging with the African Americans experience writ large, not just the ink Well experience, not to Jack and Jill experience, but the full experience. I don't think that people, and I'll start with me. We the people I was talking to you during that time, we weren't celebrating OJ Simpson. I was never expecting OJ to come back. I accepted that he was gone. I except that he was gone. What I as a black man who was just getting to a place where for the first time in my life, I thought that I might be an intellectual. Like I remember growing up thinking I was stupid. I stayed back in the third grade. I was our medio classes. I just thought I was stupid. I knew I struggled to read. I didn't know why I thought I was stupid, Like I thought all the black boys like we were just not smart. But we were ones got in most trouble. School wasn't for us. So I remember coming into what I believed to be my intellectual own during that time, and I remember somebody calling me intellectually one time. I thought they were trying to clown me, like somebody trying to call me white, Like yo, what you just called me? So to see Johnny Cochran, I was like.
Speaker 1: That that.
Speaker 4: During that same time, you have to realize Cornell West was starting to do this speaking engagements. During that same time, Mike Dyson was doctor Mike Dyson was out there. So you got West Dyson and and and and and Cochrane who people like me were starting to read what Garrick Bell were reading face at the bottom of the well, like we're reading this stuff and we're starting to stuff. This is I need you to understand. It's the same time as the Million Man March. So the Million Man March is happening, right, So you got the Me and Man March coming to coming to be. So I'm in Philly during this time and I'm going to see Fara con and he's doing organizing. So we got black men coming together. We got uh Derek Bella we're reading, We got uh uh kawanzi be Drinjufu, We got all these people like we're starting to be like, okay, so you can be black and you can smart about o J. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just to put a pin there and got thinking to join us just quickly. I'm this is doctor Steve Perry. We got a couple of hundred on Instagram, five hundred on YouTube. Make sure you tap in, do a quick search and put in two way with teslam figure oh god on YouTube, and you want to see this line, don't forget your thought down pair. I just want to make sure I'm putting a pin in that on what you're actually saying.
Speaker 2: For the first time, you got.
Speaker 3: To see the black intellectual be black, present black, act black, talk black, and be smart.
Speaker 4: During the same time. During that time, black hip hop was about black medallion's no goal. During that time, self destruction was what we were talking about. That was so there was a there was a black consciousness occurring simultaneous to literally saying burn Hollywood, burn yes.
Speaker 3: And if the police so let's be clear, so they're all will sign, will take that.
Speaker 2: You had that goal on that, but you had nw ain't.
Speaker 3: Who I subscribe to where you had Because again we're coming out of Rodney Key, you know, shout out to Spot. I talked about him all the time. I'm my very best friends.
Speaker 2: He was a part of the Blood and Crypt treaty.
Speaker 3: So now you're coming out of you're seeing what I call the homies were the black militia, those on the ground, those same men that went to the Mallie Man March.
Speaker 2: The homies saying no, yes, yes, he's treaties, yes, wasn't.
Speaker 4: Crips in certain sets were coming together and say, yo, what are we doing. So there was a black consciousness that was taking shape and it was running alongside when we referred to as gangster rap, but it was gangster rapping because it was people who were saying, we are tired of you having your boot on our neck. We're tired of y'all beating us and getting away with a wee about that one of us is gonna get it through. It's either the thugs and we're gonna get out, or it's gonna be the intellection. But one of us gonna make it to the top and we ain't gonna make it being polite. That was what this was about. So you have all these things happening at the same time. I don't ever think that there were any capsule like come on back, OJ, trying a hell OJ. That was not even what I was thinking when I was connected to and what the brothers who we would have these sets, because we would have these sets at my cribbin and Philly brothers would sit around they like I mean brothers, like brothers, brothers even like real dudes, like I don't want to go through you understand what I'm saying. Like those dudes were sitting around and were debating over over what topics it was. This is the time when even the roots, the group, the Roots, this is when they were in Philly and they were coming up like that was just black consciousness. Black thought in that, like this is who we were. And so at the same time as we're going to the million man March planning committees, at the same time as we've got black men coming to campus to speak to us on white campuses, at the same time as we got Rodney King being his head split literally open, we have OJ comes in. So OJ, for many of us himself was not who we were pulling for. I never thought for a second that the cat was in it, and it just didn't seem like it made sense. But for me, it felt like, if we're gonna play this thing, let's play it all the way out. They just got to put reasonable doubt in here, right m.
Speaker 2: Hm showed for us.
Speaker 4: I never felt good about OJ getting off. I said it then and I say it now. I never felt good about that.
Speaker 2: Why do you think people did why?
Speaker 3: Why do you think there were people that just did not believe that it was possible that one person could.
Speaker 2: Decapitate two people. And again, if.
Speaker 3: People actually go back and watch the trial and actually look at the evidence, which you know nobody likes evidence who wants to read. But if you actually go back and look at how Ron Goldman was, how Nicole's head was basically chopped off, there was no fighting two people at the same time, and then there was the struggle with that's correct correct? So why do you think because even now, even looking in the comments, you know, resting piece of oj OJ, I wonder if these people are really connected to the man oj are still connected to.
Speaker 4: I wasn't charged even then, And let me be clear, let me not attempt to present myself as someone who was deeply thinking during that time. I want to make sure that I'm clear. What I don't want to do is into the conversation pious I'm saying, I know where I was sitting in mister Wade's conference room when it happened. Yes, I know, I know, feeling a duplicitousness. I watched the kids down at Howard say what they were saying, and I watched them celebrate, and I felt badly about that, But there was enough of me, if I'm gonna be frank, to think about we got one, they got four hundred years of it. We got one right. I didn't feel good about what the we was. I didn't feel good about what the one, what the one was. But any black man who's ever been pulled over by a cop, any black father who's ever had to say to his son before he leaves the house, listen, do this, do this, do this? Do this. Up the street from me, literally less than a mile from me, a young black man about two years ago was murdered by cops. He was murdered like it was what it was. I mean, they broke the window. There was they had the young man surround it. They broke the window, he's still strapped in the seat, and they just unload into the car, just unload into the car. He was murdered. That's murdered. That's murd that's murdered. None of those cats have been none. All of them have been reinstated. Everyone, every cop who did that has done it. So there so there's still this feeling of in the way in which many of us can celebrate a drug dealer, like we can celebrate a drug dealer because he's getting his he's trying to do right by him. At the same time, it is feeling very, very conflicted about the fact that he's killing somebody's mother right now. Like somebody's mother right now is a drug addict. Somebody's father right now is a drug addict. I just I just lost a very good friend of mine last week to an overdose. I don't feel good about that. It's just a matter of who do we identify with at what point. I don't ever feel like the people who I was around were ever like pro Oj. We loved him as an athlete, but then we just recognize. And I'm saying this because I want to Test. I want so many people who watch you to understand that you Test are different than a lot of the black women and men that they see on television. And he has gone the radio, and I want people to really understand that a lot of those people you see, a lot of the ones you see, they don't spend a lot of time in the black community, and they damn sure don't spend a lot of time with poor black people. They may spend a lot of time with the intellectual elite, which again, thank God, go you great that your mother and father have been successful. I mean, I'm now that person to my own sons, I don't want somebody dog and my sons out because they don't spend time in poverty. That's just not their lifestyle. But it does give them a certain perspective that the kids who they went to school with in our school who don't have our kids, have a very different experience. So I want people to understand that. Very often the commentators who are talking, who are telling you what black people think, don't spend a lot of time around black people who we would typically consider when we think of black people. They're not talking about them, even.
Speaker 3: Though they say all the time, the barbecue, the barbecue. For some reason they think that makes them look cool. But continue they keep saying, who's invited to the barbecue? And I mean, you ain't at the barbecue. The barbecues and I go to you wouldn't be invited, but.
Speaker 4: Let's let's call it. Let's call it what it is. They would be the ones who would stop by the Costco and get you the macaroni chief She's like, I see the sticker on it. Come on, what did you just do here? Now I invited you. I look like a goddamn fool because you come up to this joint and you got costco.
Speaker 3: Yes, and well with let's and while let's let's use that that metaphor that analogy. Johnny Cochrane brought OJ to the barbecue. He brought them to the bar because he's left many many times.
Speaker 4: Let me put let me push you on that. Let me push you that. I don't think Johnny Cochrane brought OJ. I think Johnny Cochrane was always seen as there. So it's just like, it's just like the cousin who you bring, who brings his girlfriend or his friends to the to the cookout. You're like, he's cool because he's with you, but if you leave, he gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, No, nobody goes to the crom table playing space.
Speaker 4: He ain't get nobody's partner the space table. He's gonna this dude is gonna is gonna cut your your your ace of spades. Yes, you're gonna put it down the spade and this dude gonna throw he gonna.
Speaker 2: You know, well, that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a plus one deal.
Speaker 3: And I want to put a pin here too, because man, this is such a good conversation.
Speaker 2: You guys tag a friend, join in.
Speaker 3: But I want to put a pin in here too, because what I talked about a couple of weeks ago with the Candice Owns conversation is the love of a black woman, because this is very critical and how we.
Speaker 2: Love and love and love and love and.
Speaker 3: Take back and take back and take back and stand by. That's why I compared the love of black woman to the love of God, the forgivingness, the even now you know people saying, you know, hey, I'm looking in the coming Kaitlyn jenneral is out of pocket, we are quick to lace up our shoes and fight.
Speaker 2: Even if you're wrong.
Speaker 3: We will still go put that house up, get you out of jail, custs you out all the way home. We will still say no matter what you did. So even in using the analogy of the barbecue, if O. J. Simpson came back and the brother's like, hey, we know what you want.
Speaker 4: We ain't really with you.
Speaker 3: But since you with Johnny, that's cool, that black woman is still gonna say can I fix your plate?
Speaker 2: Can I get you something?
Speaker 4: Have you eate?
Speaker 2: Now? Some of the sisters are gonna say, no, you want to go with that white girl.
Speaker 1: Move on.
Speaker 3: But the reason why I'm using this example doctor pear is because fast forward to Jonathan Majors now and obviously he didn't murder anybody, But I look at the comments, and I look at the black women. When he got back with before he started dating Megan, the black women were saying some were saying, you learned your lesson.
Speaker 2: It is what it is. This would have been a different.
Speaker 3: Time in nineteen ninety five because the black women, for the most part, were lining up behind O. J. Simpson because they looked at his black mother, they looked at his black daughter. But now you have I wonder what this will be like now, because now you have black women say, hey, Jonathan Major, you shouldn't have been over there anyway. But there's still an overwhelming amount of black women that are still saying, you know what, you made a mistake. We're gonna ride with you anyway. What we're not gonna do is let them tear you down. What we're not gonna do is let them take everything from you. We hope you learn and if you don't learn, whatever this learning lesson is, because there's still people say love for you, love, We don't have a problem learning you love. But there's always been this thing where black women what pains us, and I'm gonna give it back to you. The trauma that pays us is being forgotten about being left like O. J. Simpson's first wife, being there with that man through it all thick and thin. You get money, and then you leave us. Kanye said it leave you for a white girl. Ironically, Kanye did the same thing. So black women at that time moved past that pain. Some stayed in that trump and said no, they say where you at? But we're gonna rule for Johnny Cochran. So just now I see the same things happening in these conversations, just you know, looking at Jonathan Major's for example, what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I would say this to me, it's bigger than just the woman, the second woman he married. For me, it is when I look at Judge Clarence Thomas, I think of him as someone who rarely ever engages with African Americans. It's not just that he's married to a white woman. It is that he is someone who has very little sway or interest in the uplift the African American community versus someone like a Dawn Stanley, who I'm told is with a white woman. I don't think that there are very few people who doubt her integrity for cultural integrity or commitment to our greater cause. I think most people, if there were a black draft, would put Dawn Stanley at the top of their card, and she would be a first round draft pick to borrow from The Chappelle Show. So I think in the case of O. J. Simpson, I think of the in the case of Clarence Thomas, I think in the case of Candice Owens, these are people who have very little put into the cultural bank, very little interest other than the functional interest of I ain't got nobody else. It's like being they would have their.
Speaker 2: Way to remove themselves basically.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, but if it's even more than that, it's being the person who that person never wanted to date. And then when the other people drop you, you go back and say, well, at least there's always you, like WHOA right, right, I don't feel right. I don't think I won right there, I don't feel like I won. So I don't feel that people. I feel that people. And I use it Dawn as an example because she's someone who aint nobody on question her quote unquote blackness. I don't think I think you have to Well, let me just say this. They are always when people question people's blackness. I'm not that group.
Speaker 2: But the majority of a miracle was rooting for her.
Speaker 3: For those who listen, you're talking about Don Staley, the coach of UH doctor South Cairlineman.
Speaker 4: That's correct, National champion coaches South Carolina, one of the greatest athletes of male.
Speaker 2: Who won three times.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, right, so you know, but but but Ann did so jet black and so jet black when she gave her victory speech that was torn from a Baptist pulpit that might have been a pental costal. Four o'clock in the afternoon, church is still going on from eleven a m right. So oj was never that and there was an anti race perspective that he had taken and had ridden to his zenith. Again, I'm gonna stay here for a second because a lot of people, a lot of people love Michael Jordan, but not a lot of people who love Michael Jordan have loved him for his open love of the black community. Right, They've not openly said that. He has been the guy who has taken stances on the African American experience. Michael Jordan's done fine for himself. He's done really really well for himself, you know, and it's one of the greatest athletes of all time. I don't know what he's given or what he hasn't given. I'm not in that man's pocket, but I'm saying is well, he said.
Speaker 3: He's about selling shoes, so he said, don't don't look to him for the.
Speaker 4: I remember when he actually, I actually remember when he said that. But let's just use some you know, there are certain people who are and you and I talk about this, who are conservative, let's just say, who have a political perspective that is not let's say, bought and sold by the by the by the left. But I would say, you would say they're just as black as anybody. Just because they don't believe in abortion, and just because they don't think that they mean they're as committed to the community as anybody. They go to a black church, they know what to bring to a cookout. They could be a spade part that. They are the people who are in the community doing the work. They're deeply committed. They just have a different different spin on what who to vote for and why. That's not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is people who buy and large have no interest, connection, or commitment to the black community. O. J. Simpson was that person and was proud of it. I don't know him as a man. I'm just talking about what his public right. What do the public offerings were right? Because even even somebody like a Jim Brown who said you've been throwing white women out windows, or James Brown who was doing his share of, you know, domestic violence, each one of them at points in their lives were very clearly trying to organize other black men's proud to be resources.
Speaker 2: And that's so important, Doctor Perry. I'm so glad man, this is good. Y'all.
Speaker 3: Make sure y'all tag somebody again. Let me just reiterate there and put a pen in it, because I'm looking at the comments and want to make sure they know exactly what you're saying. This is not about saying that anybody that has an interracial relationship is anti black.
Speaker 2: It is about the position.
Speaker 3: Because we can look to Harry Belafonte, there is no question about his blackness married to a white woman. So this is not a bred Douglas that's right, Yes, it's right. So this is not about because you know, they always try to dumb that to day. I owe somebody just mad because somebody. No, that's not it. It is about the intentional disrespect, the intentional separation, the intentional.
Speaker 4: Not just abandon.
Speaker 2: Proud about it.
Speaker 4: That's an aggressive how'd an aggressive abandon? Like the if y'all want to know who these people are, they're the black student that you see when you're walking on campus, who looks away. It's like who raised you?
Speaker 3: If you?
Speaker 4: If you if you're a black kid on a white campus and you see another black person walking towards you, you don't give the head nod. I see you, little boy, I see you. But remember somebody else is gonna see you too. It's that person who's at the company that you both work at, who's African American, who doesn't even acknowledge your existence. That's like, wow, that's what we're doing. Now. I got you and said you're gonna go off. You're gonna go off for crack beers with them. Tell me how long it's gonna take before they drop an inWORD on you. They just say they just playing, And yet it don't come over to me afterwards.
Speaker 2: That's right. And yet it's the and see that. That's the point.
Speaker 3: Some people say, don't come over to me afterwards. But we find ourselves as black people, what are forgiving? Loving self? And that's the part that I think I say, interesting. Yeah, not, There's plenty of us to say, no, duly, no toe.
Speaker 2: Stay where you're at it, where you're at it.
Speaker 3: If you like what you heard on straight Shot No Chaser, please subscribe and drop a five our review and tell a friend. Straight Shot No Chaser is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network in iHeartRadio on Tesline figure Out, and I'd like to thank our producer editor mixer Dwayne Crawford and our executive producer Charlotta Magnea God. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.