Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the bowl of warm cash. Youws in your puzzle's first class service. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the wonderful Noel Brown, producer, podcast or, co host of Ridiculous History, also co host of Stuff They Don't Want You to Know. Also just a great guy. Welcome Noel.
Speaker 2: I've been upgraded from great to wonderful. What's gonna happen on the third episode? There's nowhere left to go?
Speaker 1: Oh no, there's many. I've got many.
Speaker 2: Is that when you insult me you mentioned I was going to be crushed?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see. I think you're gonna be okay. This puzzle is in honor of you, your name Noel Brown, because all of the answers are going to include a color. They will be two word phrases with one of the words being a color. So if the clue were, for example, Christmas time Hazel, then the answer.
Speaker 2: Might be, oh goodness, Oh I like that.
Speaker 1: This stumped you.
Speaker 2: This would be a color Christmas time Hazel.
Speaker 1: I'm not a chest nuts. No, it's the more basic with color for bas what my what my hair used to be? It's been turning increasingly gray. But it used to be brown brown. Christmas time brown is Noel brown.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry, I was so I was. I was thinking, like ate a shade of hazel that only appears around Christmas. I wish why I said chestnuts. Yes, you see, I do.
Speaker 1: I like that. I would just I felt I wanted to focus in on your name.
Speaker 2: I was thinking outside the box. Agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were too smart. You're too smart for this show. No, all right, well, this puzzle, as I say, it's about colorful phrases. At first swears, well these are these are literally colorful? Okay, no cussing. When I originally wrote the puzzle, I was gonna do movies. So I was going to do things like the olive one point six kilometers, so that might be.
Speaker 2: The green mile, the Green Mile exactly. I do love movies. Aga, I do love movies.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe I should have gone with movies.
Speaker 2: But you don't know. I like colors too.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, wait, I decided. Weirdly, I discovered when researching this, there are a ton of beverages with colorful names. For some reason, they love to name. So I decided today we're going to focus on rejected names for beverages. Oh wow, all right, so are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: What is this rejected name for what was the actual product that came out? Crimson cattle? Crimson cattle.
Speaker 2: That's terrible. Why cattle cat?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not really a rejected name. It's what I made up.
Speaker 2: Oh, you made it. Okay, it's a funny joke. I see, it's good.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure about funny obviously, but it is. This is the ideas. Yes, this is a sort of a fake version of the actual beverage. So this is a beverage. They would sell it at a deli or grocery. It's an energy drink. It's got a lot of care.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I have it. That would be red bull. A red bull absolutely gives you wings apparently.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know. That's their Oh that's their catch, right, I didn't even know. All right, here's another one. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: What is this beverage? Silvery water fowl? Silvery w don't.
Speaker 2: Even no, No, these are great. I really wish they were real though. So cool. Silvery water fowl. Oh goodness, this is tricky.
Speaker 1: It's a type of vodka.
Speaker 2: Grey goose.
Speaker 1: Grey goose that was it. That's all you needed.
Speaker 2: That enough of a beat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was great, it was great. What about this one? You ready ivory talent? Ivory talent, Now it is possible. I know that's just because I have teenagers, but oh, you got it.
Speaker 2: Your teenagers are drinking this stuff.
Speaker 1: No, their friends are.
Speaker 2: They have their friends with the cool older kids. Exactly the New York right there. I will say a funny thing. Did you see the news that this company in question came out with a non alcoholic seltzer Seltzer. They promoted it like it was some sort of novel invention. This would be white claw hard white. Isn't that ridiculous? That is hilarious, made for internet memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is what an innovation taking the alcohol out of seltzer. Brilliant. All right again, this one is an alcoholic one. This is a ebity tag, ebony tag.
Speaker 2: Wow. Oh I got it.
Speaker 1: Oh you did. Oh I was ready to give you a clue, but you got it.
Speaker 2: Blue label joking, it's black label, right.
Speaker 1: It is black label, which is a Johnny Walker.
Speaker 2: These are all the Johnny Walker's right, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, Johnny Walker black is black A.
Speaker 2: Really nice one. Yeah, there's definitely a.
Speaker 1: Blue blackest age twelve years or at least twelve years. I looked it up. There's green label is fifteen years. Gold label used to be eighteen years, but now they don't tell their age. But so blue label, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think blue label might be the nicest one.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: It's says for every ten thousand casks of whiskey aged by Johnny Walker, only one on average displays the necessary flavoring character for it to acquire the blue label status.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: It's quite expensive.
Speaker 1: I am learning a lot. All right, Well, this our last one is a little tricky. I just to go a little tricky. Are you ready? Here's the hint. Squash, squash, squash, squash that monster. Goodness, thank you for acknowledging.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming one of the squashes is maybe referring to the sport no interesting and wondering, because if you're having two squashes and you're being you know, with your puzzler sensibilities, I'm assuming they're two different uses of the word you are correction that okay, okay.
Speaker 1: But there are two others non racket sport related, So the I mean the first remember that the theme there's a color.
Speaker 2: So right right? Yellow?
Speaker 1: Actually no, no, okay, I look, I mean as far as I can tell when you google it that that it's not yellow. It's more of a pumpkin, an alternative to pumpkin.
Speaker 2: Can you give Is this an alcoholic beverage or no?
Speaker 1: This is no, it is a beverage, but it is just a one that that I used to drink. I don't see it around that much anymore.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's it a hot beverage.
Speaker 1: No, it's called it's a soda. It's a type of soda. And the first word is the color, which is pumpkins. Or it's very the Halloween type color.
Speaker 3: Orange orange, orange crush, orange crush, exactly. Squash also a great ram song. Oh, I didn't know off of a monster Master, which you called me earlier in this in this episode.
Speaker 2: Literally moments ago when you said squash squash, and I mean that would love as you know, I just think it's I knew that it was going to be very brilliant.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Did not disappoint, by the way.
Speaker 1: Quiz, did you do you know which came first, the fruit or the color? I didn't until I looked it up.
Speaker 2: It Wait a minute, Oh.
Speaker 1: The color or the fruit orange?
Speaker 2: No, I got it. I got it. It's like a chicken or the egg type situation. I am going to say, the fruit.
Speaker 1: The fruit is absolutely correcting.
Speaker 2: Is there an esoteric pre orange name for the fruit?
Speaker 1: Well, according to my very shallow research, orange used to be called yellow, red, yellow, red. I mean that's what I think it was.
Speaker 2: That is what orange is.
Speaker 1: Oh no, red yellow, red yellow in old English, yallow red yellow mix.
Speaker 2: When you mix those colors though, you do in fact get orange.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean it's not a crazy thing. It's just let's let's give oranges due. So fifteen twelve is the first use that they could find of the color orange. The fruit was back to the twelve hundreds.
Speaker 2: All right, that was a really quickly. Are you familiar with the britcom Faulty Towers. Of course, there is an episode there's a character, a regular in the hotel where John Cleese is the very deranged manager and he's called the Kernel, I believe, and he always ordered an orange squash that is his very British sounding cocktail of choice, which is very close to squash squash.
Speaker 1: Yes, that and his orange squash. That's not orange crush. It's actually like, no, no, it's a cocktail.
Speaker 2: It's some sort of some sort of weird classic UK cocktail that we don't get them interesting.
Speaker 1: I am learning so much. This is great, Thank you so much, This is fantastic. Where can people hear more of you? And these these fun facts?
Speaker 2: Well, you can find me on the podcast Ridiculous History with the Inimitable. Is that a word?
Speaker 1: Yes? A word?
Speaker 2: Right, It's good. I'm not accidentally insulting my friends Ben Ben Bolin, where we talk about various obscure and ridiculous history topics. And Ben and I also host a critical thinking approach to conspiracies with our colleague Matthew Frederick called Stuff They Don't Want You to Know. Both of these podcasts are available wherever you get.
Speaker 1: Podcasts, Absolutely produced by iHeart our comment Overlords, Come on, Overlords, there you go. Well, as always, we have an extra credit for the folks at home before we wrap up, and that is relaxed Canary. This is relaxed Canary. What kind of drink is that? You'll get the answer next episode. And hey, speaking of fun fact, this is a fun fact. It is incredibly easy to give five stars to a podcast like it's literally like one finger click. So that's just something to think about. If you like the Puzzler and come back tomorrow and you'll get some more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hey, puzzlers, it's your Chief Puzzle Officer here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played et et in which each answer was a two word phrase where each word has the bigram et in it. Your extra credit clue was super low Carb Eating Plan and that answer, of course is Keto Diet. So enjoy your Keto diet and come back here for a carb free episode of The Puzzler with AJ Jacobs