Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling.
Speaker 2: You can have.
Speaker 1: Because for the first time in your life, you'll make under decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody had told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashwan MacDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your VHA, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Cape Wedning.
Speaker 2: My next guest. She's the doctor of defeat.
Speaker 1: She is the person that I should have found when I was sixteen. She should have come into my life. Doctor Yolanda Ragulin. She's one of the top Bunyan and Hamerto surgeons in the Northeast with over twenty years of medical experience. She maintains her office on Park Avenue in New York City and the Washington metro area and Buie Meller. The focus of her practice is bunyant and hammer told correction. Her trade secret Tierra Toe TM, which is a technique leads patients with sandal ready feet.
Speaker 2: We know summer is coming.
Speaker 1: Ladies, you know men too, which sandal's you know, getting out there scaring us with your feet leaving no visible scarring after their surgical procedure. Doctor Raglan's goal is to help women be successful by supporting them with strong foundation. Please welcome to Money Making Conversations Masterclass, the incredible much needed Doctor Landa Raglan.
Speaker 3: How you doing doctor, Hello, good evening, Rashawan, Thank you so much for that glorious introduction.
Speaker 4: How are you doing well?
Speaker 1: You know, Albert, I'll be honest with you. I made mistakes with my feet, doctor Raglan. And I know that's not the first time you've heard this. You you went into a business where you know, like you said, the foundation of what you do in life is how you stand, you walk, how you present yourself.
Speaker 2: When you walk into a room.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people are walking around were very painful feet, Am I correct?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not only they're they're walking around with painful, embarrassing looking feet and uh and so what I found very early on in my studies was that especially African American women, they wanted to correct these problems. But they didn't just want to get rid of the pain. They wanted the feet to be beautiful too. So that was my AHA moment, and I just decided that, you know, this is what I was going to do. I'm going to focus on this core group of UH of African American women or women of color, and I'm going to hone my skills in correcting bunions, hammer toes, getting rid of those those unsightly corn But I'm not going to just get rid of him, and I'm not going to just read you of the pain. I'm also going to do it with an aesthetic result.
Speaker 2: This is a very serious subject that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I brought on to just talk about her career, but more importantly, to give an outlet because a lot of people, like I said, are walking in pain, and they're walking in pain.
Speaker 2: My father.
Speaker 1: I always remember my father, you know, you know, you know, just being honest. Was I just see him with these huge coins on his toes, and I when I look back now, I can only imagine how much pain he was in because it was just it was just just outrageously big. But he put his shows on, his shoes on and walk out and I'm sure it was very uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, but guess what for Sean? For then you guys have him. You do have a little bit of an option, Okay.
Speaker 5: So I sold shoes for many years before I even thought about becoming a docter and so, and I sold men and women's shoes, so men.
Speaker 3: Can get wider with even in your higher end shoes. Women, on the other hand, when you start getting into these wide with the shoes.
Speaker 4: Just become uglier and uglier, so it.
Speaker 3: Almost becomes not an option for them. So even though, like you said, I'm sure you know your father did experience some discomfort with the corns that he had on his feet, he did have options where he could go and get these shoes in E with or double E or triple E or even a quadruple E with where women just don't have that option. And if they do have the option, it's just something that they are not willing to do. They don't want to go there.
Speaker 2: You absolutely are telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Our wesize twelve shoe and I got a and it gave me an option to have a wide and I got a wide shoe. And I know because I know if I get it tight. That's what ruined my feet. When I was a teenager and going into college, I will really tight, narrow shoes, and they were pointy toe, and I ignored the pain. I ignored my shoe rubbing against rubbing up against the side of my foot. I ignored the fact that my my baby toe was collapsing and as it was collapsing underneath because it was pointy toe, so it was rubbing up against them. But guess what, everybody was complimenting me on my shoes. Everybody those shoes, those shoes.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but did you take it? Did you ever take your foot out of the slipper?
Speaker 1: I'm telling doctor, I took it out and put it right back in there because my ego was being fed by people telling me it look good, not the pain and not not not the trouble. But I really want to talk about it because your brand is fixed your feet and if serge corrections of painful and embarrassing, you know, deformities, even bunyance and habitoes. Can you tell us how did you get in this business? Because you know, we hear different professions. We hear nurses, we have you know, obg y n we hear all different. But did get into the businesses you're in? How did that happen?
Speaker 2: And where did you go to school?
Speaker 3: Well? Well, first of all, the school that I attended undergrad I went to University of Maryland, and then I did five years in between Maryland and I did a little interim before I went to my pedietary medical school. I did some research at the National Institute of Health NIH in dermatology, so I'm burst in skin and then and then that's when I decided that, yeah, you know, I'm going I'm going to definitely move forward with medical school.
Speaker 4: And I wound up at the New York.
Speaker 3: College of Podiatric Medicine and then I did a Rickors uh surgical uh UH program with a UH with a hospital that is a wild Cornell Medical School affiliate.
Speaker 1: And then but but what really tifted you in that direction? Because you have options? You know, you're talented, you're educated, But what you know, because everybody has a choice to make. And like I said, I went to college and I wanted to be an engineer, and then I drifted between different majors and I wound up falling with my natural love and skill was mathematics, and I minded it out in sociology and I graduated, and that was really the right direction for me to go, even though I thought engineering was the direction that I wanted to go. Did you go in college go into college thinking about this direction or at what point if the light bulb went out when I went out and went above your head and said this is where you should be porning?
Speaker 4: Well, I knew I was going to become a doctor.
Speaker 2: This man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot of things in health I had experienced. I had experienced now what I look back on, it was discrimination in the health care system. I didn't know how to explain it back then, but now I know how to articulate it. And that's exactly what was happening to me. So I wanted to become a doctor because I wanted to know what the doctors knew. And as I said, in undergraduate, I started doing research at the National Institute of Health in dermatology. So I thought I was going to be a dermatologist and so but I kept getting.
Speaker 4: These applications from p Dietary.
Speaker 3: School, not knowing what it was, and I was throw away the applications and one of my friends stopped by the lab as I was about to toss another application in the garbage.
Speaker 4: And she stopped me and says, what are you doing? Why are you throwing that away?
Speaker 3: And I'm like what and she's like, that's medical school and I was like, oh, what is it? And she didn't. She explained to me, you know, it's medicine of the foot, and she kind of like broke it down for me. She says, you know that there's hair, skin, and nails on the foot, So if you want to stop specialize in dermatology on the foot, you.
Speaker 6: Can do that.
Speaker 3: And I thought that that notion was kind of cool because I like, I like the idea of having.
Speaker 4: Like a niche practice.
Speaker 3: I like, you know, being you know, real specific and being like that that top notch specialist. So I thought I was going to specialize in dermatology revolved around the foot. Then I get into then I get into piet Pediatric Medical School, and I realized there's this whole surgical aspect, which basically we're doing surgery of the bones, so it's basically orthopedic surgery. And I'm just like, holy guacamole, we got chips. I'm like, my hands are very dextrous. I am very good at reproducing results. And I and when I found out that there was this whole, big, huge surgical aspects, I was.
Speaker 4: Just like, this is what I want to do. Because when I was living in the dorms.
Speaker 3: Some ladies would stop me all the time and say, hey, hey, and this is me as a student. I'm like a first year, second year student and like, hey, can you get rid of this corn right here? But I wanted to be done cosmetically because they had seen the results of their friends or their mom, or their aunty or their cousins, and they didn't want that result. And I kept hearing this over and over again throughout throughout medical school. And then you know, and then I started seeing what results looked like when I was in my residency program, and I would compare what I would see on Caucasian skin versus black skin, and I would and I would see that those results did not translate over to the black skin that we scar differently. So I said, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Got to think outside the box.
Speaker 3: You know, there's got to be a better way to do this so we can get better results on people of color. And so with my dermatological background, I was like, Okay, there are ways to suit you the skin, you know, speak more like a plastic surgeon working on one's face. I just said, there's got to be, you know, different ways to clothes, and maybe there's different approaches so the scars aren't visibly noticeable to the eyes.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can hide the scars.
Speaker 3: And because I was afforded the opportunity to be in such a great residency program and scrub in with literally hundreds and hundreds of different surgeons, I got to see people do things so many different ways. So I journal the techniques that I thought were the most optimal, and then I put those things together and then I put a little bit of my special sauce.
Speaker 4: On it, and.
Speaker 3: And then that's how I came up with my petty plastic Tierra toe technique. And so yes, that's that's basically, that's basically how I how I came.
Speaker 4: Up with with the practice.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I started the practice to target the specific demographic in.
Speaker 4: My keeping in mind that the.
Speaker 3: Procedures are for everybody. But I felt like this specific demographic was being dismissed. They weren't being heard, and they weren't receiving the services that they deserve, right.
Speaker 1: Right, now, when you when you talk about trying to do something offices technique, was it a new technique? Was it a technique that you figured out and then when you when you started applying it that other fellow doctors in your industry questioned their technique or feather it was some type of fad or some type of you know, hype theme that you had, you would you put in place?
Speaker 2: What was the reaction?
Speaker 3: So you know, honestly, Rashan, I don't really pay attention to what's it, what the other people what they're thinking. Absolutely, because I know that I am doing something with reproducible results, with UH with high statist with a very high satisfaction rate for over fifteen years.
Speaker 4: So when if I have may sayers that don't understand my demographic right and that have been giving my demographic, the.
Speaker 3: Demographic that I'm targeting less than what they deserve, and if they are snubbing their noses at my technique, I don't have time to pay attention to that. What I do know is that that I.
Speaker 4: Have taked like I said, it's been.
Speaker 3: Everything about the technique is not completely new, but there are aspects of it that are completely new. So I've taken, like I said, different things. I saw one person do you think one thing this way? Another person do something another way, and I combine some of those things together, and like I said.
Speaker 4: Then I put Then.
Speaker 3: As I started perfecting the technique, I started changing things and tweaking it and just getting it so that I can get the best result possible for these patients.
Speaker 1: Here's a question, doctor Raglan, because I grew up with six sisters. And I'm not saying I'm a female expert, but I had six of them in my life, and I guess what. They were very opinionated, and five of them were older than me, so they did dear my vision. When it comes to high heels, are high heels safe to where all the time? Or is there a certain age less weight limits for high heels? Talk about the high heels phenomenon because they're not going away as a part of the fashion culture. Is there a I wouldn't use the word danger, but are they safe to where all the time?
Speaker 6: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow Money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna talk about high heels like like one would talk about alcohol.
Speaker 4: Okay, where your high heels responsibly?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: So, and I'm saying that you you should not be in a pair of five inch to lettos eight hours strength. That's you know, that's bad form, that's bat decorum for the foot.
Speaker 4: But if you know, if.
Speaker 3: You're having a night out and you want to look extra and you are able to tolerate walking around in those shoes, by all means, I think that express yourselves.
Speaker 4: You know, go ahead, you be you.
Speaker 3: But like I said, it's not something for you to stand around.
Speaker 4: In all day long for eight hours. If you're going to wear.
Speaker 3: Heels like you should always bring a pair of safety shoes with you so that you can give your foot a break from being in that declanated angle.
Speaker 4: For so long.
Speaker 3: And if you start to feel pain, like you shouldn't be feeling pain, So like you were saying, you you would feel the pain on the pinky tost so that pinky toast starts burning. Sounds like it's about to catch on fire. You need to come out of them and get into your safety ship because that is a point where your feet are literally talking to you and telling you I need belief, Please get me out of here.
Speaker 2: And that's and that's true.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is very true, very true. We ignore what our body is telling us. We ignore our body talking to us. I ignored it, and and that's why when I invited you on the show. You know, my show is money Made Conversation Mas Life, they said, why do you.
Speaker 2: Have a foot doc through it?
Speaker 1: Because I know how my feet impact my life every day. You know, because of my feet, I have to soak them once a month just to just I'm not going to any graphic details, but I have to take care of my feet periodically to make sure that I can walk in the shoes that I now for myself.
Speaker 2: Because I'm smarter now. I know about with I know about.
Speaker 1: A round curve toe area, something that I didn't do when I was younger. Because I and my shoes still look smartly, they still look spooredly. People just still compliment them or compliment me on my shoes. But I didn't know now what advice when you when when you when people come into your office, do you become a counselor a person who give out advice? I know because because they have to still take care of their feet after you fix them correct.
Speaker 3: So you know, I've become a little bit of everything. I'm I'm an auntie, a sister, a best friend. I'm all and a counselor their doctor, their surgeon. I'm all of these things. Because I wanted women to come to a safe place. I wanted them to come someplace where they would get really good information. They're gonna they're gonna get They're going to be able to make a real good informed decision on whether or not they should move forward with surgery.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 3: If you even really need to have surgery. So I've actually and this is how you know, this is how I make my bread and butter.
Speaker 4: This is I do not have a general pedietary practice.
Speaker 3: I make my bread and butter by doing those few services that we announced earlier. And so if and and I want to protect my patients from going to a predatory doctor because some of these people come in with their really great insurance. They don't even realize how great their insurance is, but they might not have anything that really needs to be done, and I don't want them.
Speaker 4: To have surgery regret or I.
Speaker 3: Don't want them to do a prescedure that is at high risk and they have and they really don't have symptoms.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Give my patients the best if I if I feel like you really need the surgery done, I'm going to do I will do the procedure. If I feel like you really do not need the procedure done, I'm going to tell you that now. I've even had a case where I tried to talk the lady out of the procedure, try to She's like.
Speaker 4: No, you're going to come in here and you're going to do everything. She basically told me that.
Speaker 3: And I said, what, I got frightened because I thought she was going to go to somebody else, and I thought that they were going she was going to wind up with a result that.
Speaker 4: She wasn't going to be happy with.
Speaker 3: So I said, you know, I basically told her, think about it.
Speaker 4: Call me back up. Here's my cell phone number, call me, text me. If I don't answer the phone, text me.
Speaker 3: And she says, I still want to do it. And that's when I said, okay, I'll do it, you know. But then I read her the Riot Act.
Speaker 4: Said, you know, I told her what all her risk was.
Speaker 3: She understood that. But really, if I feel and I think that when I tell patients, hey.
Speaker 4: Look you really you really don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: I'll do this thing over here, but you really don't need to have this sunion done.
Speaker 4: It doesn't hurt you.
Speaker 3: Just have a little slight thump over there and you can fit into your shoes. It's not an issue for you. There's a lot of risk in pungyon surgery. Why would you put yourself at that risk?
Speaker 4: And you know afterwards they.
Speaker 3: Say, thank you doctor, thank you for being so honest. This is why I started this practice. I wanted to protect this particular demographic so people would not take advantage of them, and so that they would get, like I said, the services and the results that they deserve.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking to doctor Jinan the Raglin about feet and then more importantly women, feet of females who are out there trying to recover or trying to fix a problem that they created. This all self inflicted at times, sometimes it's not. But in this case, summer is coming, doctor Raglin. What can women do to make sure they don't mess up? Or what can they do to keep their feet beautiful?
Speaker 4: Oh, you have to wear proper fitting shoes. So it goes right back to you know, does it hurt.
Speaker 3: If it hurts in the store, it's going to hurt outside the store.
Speaker 2: So can you say that one more time? Can you say that?
Speaker 4: You heard me?
Speaker 3: If it hurts in the snow, it's going to hurt outside the Still, that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: So they'll play around with it.
Speaker 3: Now. I would advise every woman, and this is gonna you know, future, in the future, I'm going to create a pair of shoe stretchers. But every woman should have their own pair of shoe stretchers at home.
Speaker 4: And that's because this way you don't have to go to the shoe store.
Speaker 3: You know, as soon as you get it, you shouldn't be breaking in the shoe. Your foot should not be breaking in the shoe. Allow the shoe stretcher to.
Speaker 2: Do that job.
Speaker 4: You can put you can get your you know.
Speaker 3: Those nice beautiful Italian or French design shoes, you can put them in the shoe stretcher. Let them sit in there for a week or so and now they're broken in.
Speaker 4: It's like somebody's been walking in.
Speaker 3: Them straight for two, you know, two weeks straight, and now they're broken in. So, like I said, the shoe has to be comfortable. That's the that's the most important thing. Keeping your feet clean and dry, keeping inspecting it daily, making sure that you moisturize your foot daily, exfoliating all the all the hard skin gently exfoliating.
Speaker 1: Question here, doctor Raglan, because I you know, I've seen women with band aids on the back of the heel on their toes. Okay, these these are these are warning signs that this is a bad shoe.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: I think that these are warning size and signs that it's an ill fitting shoe. So a lot of times if you have those band aids, or if you have something that's in the back, it's probably because the shoe does not fit you properly. It's if you have to put a pad in the back, the shoe is too big. Your put a slide fighting forward and the shoe is too big, and that's why you're getting the friction on the on on the back of your heel. Or some ladies have something called the pump bump, and that could be a reason why. Now, if you able to pump bump, you might want to put something there that stops that friction from happening.
Speaker 4: Something called mole skin.
Speaker 3: You can get that from any drug store and that will stop the friction there. And and that that's something you know, that's.
Speaker 4: Just how your body has developed. But if you don't have a pump bump on.
Speaker 3: The back of your heel and that foot that shoe is fighting off, you shouldn't have purchased the shoe in the first place. Sometimes we just want the shoes so bad and we just buy the size up or the size down, and.
Speaker 4: It's not worth it.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, I can't you know, as a witness, as I'm testifying right now, I'm testifying that she's telling you the truth from a male perspective.
Speaker 2: I did everything that she's saying incorrectly.
Speaker 1: I wore the tight shoes. I wore the shoe you know, my shoe, you know, the teenageer. I wear size twelve, but I was wearing the size nine. I wore sized ten. I worresized level and that was worth When I was in eleven, I was wearing the size, you know, if it was ten and a half, Okay, I slided my foot in there, you know, and I did that.
Speaker 2: I let my foot stretch out the shoe.
Speaker 1: You expanded, you know, as I got older, then I half shoe horns and I put them in there and I stretch them out, and I was let them you know.
Speaker 2: I tell you used the word marinate in that shoe.
Speaker 1: To get it right for my foot so my foot won't be screaming. And so now I live a comfortable life with my feet. But my feet have paid the price. And what you're trying to say to all the callers who are all the people who have listening to this show, is that do not get to Rushan's stage of life.
Speaker 2: You know, well do not. You know, it's not worth is not worth. I have a life of regrets age.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, in this day and age, we have the internet, so you can literally scour the internet to find your size if need be. So we didn't have that back in our day, Rashwan, we didn't have that.
Speaker 1: I'm just to let you know, you know, a certain brand of shoe and I saw this shoe the other day. I'm going to just let you know this, I almost drifted back into old Rashan. I went our size twelve, and it went to do it went up to size eleven.
Speaker 2: I went, oh, that shoe looks so good. But I always remember that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rashan, You're too old and too smart to get stupid again. And now, because I was almost about to fall into the old weld again, I'm sizing down on a big foot, sizing down on the big foot.
Speaker 3: I want the listeners to all hear this, toow about shoe sizes, ladies, all you ladies out there that like your Italian, your European sizes, and those shoe salespeople tell you a thirty.
Speaker 4: Nine is a nine.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you right now it's a lot. Thirty nine is not a nine. A nine is a forty. Okay, it's the next number up. Those people don't know what they're talking about. I sold shoes.
Speaker 4: I know what I'm talking about. Mm hmm okay, I sold shoes. When we used to measure.
Speaker 3: Your foot on the Brandic device, we sat down in stools and we put the shoes on your foot. Not these people that come and throw the boxes that you run away. So I'm telling all of you when they come and tell you what thirty eight is the eight they are lions.
Speaker 4: I just want all of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are, so I'm in the same goes for the men's shoes as well.
Speaker 4: So all these people that.
Speaker 3: Are telling you don't buy the shoe just because of the size, by what fits, what feels right on your flip, don't get caught up in the number. It's just the number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doctor Young Ragulin, I so appreciate you coming on my show. Allow me to just, you know, tell the truth about Rashwan and his feet, his magical feet, and that's so magical. When I take the socks off, they're rather terrifying. And I say that because of the fact that I was stupid. I ignored the pain. I wore shoes that were smaller than what they should have been. Now I am happy with my life. Were quality issues that allows me to gracefully walk the halls or gracefully drive my car. But I didn't have to pay the price about whatever. Just listened, that's all. And that's why I invited you on the show, doctor Raglin, was to just let people know you.
Speaker 4: Are not You are not a month.
Speaker 3: So yes, first of all, I just want to I will let people know everything. So first of all, I just want everyone to know out there I am actually a Pegasus unicorn.
Speaker 4: I am arguably.
Speaker 3: The only African American woman on this planet that has that caters to her sister folks, the practice that strictly focuses on correcting buyings and hammertoes and removing corns with a cosmetic result. I am doctor Yolanda Raglan. My business is Fix your Feet. You can find me. I'd like everybody to pull out their phones right now. Follow me on Instagram, in Twitter and Facebook on fix your Feet so TikTok as well as picture feet, and also go to my Fixture Feet products.
Speaker 4: I have a new product line. I have the Fixture Fungal Nail product line.
Speaker 3: It is second to none than anything out there. If you're having a problem with fungle nails, go to that website.
Speaker 4: Check it out.
Speaker 3: We can we can eradicate that.
Speaker 1: Doctor Landa Ragulin, thank you for taking the time to come on Money Making Conversation master Class. You were brilliant as you are whenever I meet you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're wonderful. You are a person of breath of fresh air. Thank you for coming on Money Making Conversation Master Class.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts
Speaker 3: Stint