Speaker 1: A late fifteen to.
Speaker 2: Ten touched up suck. All right, we're back at it with another episode of Chargers Weekly that's always joined by Matt money Smith. Buddy, I feel like we just did this, well, we did, We just did this on Sunday. Not much has changed, but just a lot of excitement from fans with regards to the class and also, you know, we were taping it during the time where I think undrafted free agents were starting to be finalized as well, so that's maybe something we can get into today as well as some questions from the fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, I think they're a big part of it is how much you consumed it. So a huge thank you to all of you for streaming and downloading and rating and commenting. That ultimately is why we're here today. So, I mean, it was very popular pod, It was very popular YouTube episode, So thank you. I think that's you know, I'm not trying to climb up here on Mount Pious and you know, kind of one up you, Chris, but yeah, I think we both feel the same way. We're very thankful that all of you consume this pod and it means a lot to us, and it's something we do because it's fun, but to know that you all enjoy it means a heck of a lot to us. So thank you for doing that. And ultimately that's why we're here, because it was It was our most popular pod and YouTube episode of the last six months or something, So thank you.
Speaker 2: That's why we do it. We do it for the fans. And I tell you what, you guys, step up. We were going to talk about and we are going to talk about JK. Dobbins and Nick Hardwick and coach dev and they spoke Monday at the podium, so get away from the drafts of just a little bit. But I thought that we would reserve like a little bit of time for questions. So that's why I posted it this morning, thinking like, hey, we get a few, and we got a ton, so we'll start with Monday's pressers. And you know, JK. Dobbins is the guy money that you mentioned about a month ago and said, hey, if this is a player that they can acquire, you know, it could be a huge boom for the Chargers. And the fact that they drafted a running back in the sixth round, I think tells you that they're pretty comfortable with JK and Gusts being the one two punch initially to start, and we finally got to hear from JK. We'll play a clip in a second, but any thoughts about what he had to say.
Speaker 1: Money, He looks great. I mean, you see how swow he is. He is a big physical back. And I just pulled up, you know, the free agent signings and when you see Saquan who has had serious injury concerns throughout his career, He's an exceptional back, but he is also had had very serious injury issues. Three years, thirty eight million bucks, Josh Jacobs four years, forty eight And I know all of these are a little bit different. It depends on how the money is guaranteed and what's paid upfront and all that sort of stuff. But you know, Derek Henry to Baltimore, Tony Pollard Titans, DeAndre Swift on twenty five million bucks to the Bears, like this is an incredible opportunity for the Chargers to really get value. It's an opportunity for JK. And as he said in his presser, knowing what this offense, is very comfortable working in tandem with Gus Edwards, very comfortable with Greg Roman's play calling, like to the tune of six yards per carry. This could be a home run, an absolute home run sign And look, this is I mentioned all those contracts because what are they They're multi year, heavy guarantee up front deals. I'm not saying those guys aren't going to run their tails off, but they got paid. That's the deal that JK wants next year. He's looking at that Josh Jacobs four year, I guarantee it. That's the one he's circled. Four years, forty eight million bucks. That's what I can get next year if I can put together what I know I'm capable of putting together because I've already done it, done it to the tune of double digit touchdowns and you know, six yards per carry.
Speaker 2: That added motivation is huge. And he doesn't lack confidence. This is him talking about his Achilles injury.
Speaker 3: I'm one hundred percent now and it was like a walk in the park. It's like a sprained ankle. You know. It was very easy, you know, because I had the knee. The knee was pretty hard, you know, and the achilles was I would say it's easy, you know, just because that's just my mentality, and it was it was pretty easy to be so buddy.
Speaker 2: He alluded to this as well. There's a difference between him saying he's one hundred percent and the coaches he went through that in Baltimore. But the fact that we're talking about JK. Dobbs coming off an achilles injury on May second and him thinking that he's one hundred percent, that boats very well for training camp and beyond. Man.
Speaker 1: The super interesting thing for me was him talking about the knee and how he didn't injure it a second time. I was not aware. I thought it was an injury to the same knee, but he said, no, it's just scar tissue that wasn't healing right. So they had to go in and clean it out. And that was something he wanted to clarify. It's like, it wasn't a second knee injury. I started running, it didn't feel right. They took a look at it, realized there was some scar tissue that didn't look quite right, so they cleaned that up and then he came back at the end of the year and picked up, you know, right where he left off one hundred and twenty yards per game, had a big game in the playoff that they ended up losing their first playoff game and then comes back feeling like, all right, here we go, pops the Achilles and look, he's young. This is not forty year old Aaron Rodgers trying to come back from an achilles injury. You know. This is not Kobe Bryant, you know, in year sixteen trying to come back from an Achilles' injury. This is a young still has a giant, incredible opportunity of a career ahead of him. Body is going to heal as an old man with old bones that's got a fracture in his shoulder right now. That's driving me crazy because doesn't want to heal. You don't heal the same way when you're old. You know, you heal a lot differently when you're in Jk's position. So I'm I'm very excited about it. I really am. I think it is he can he is. I know this could be seen as as Charger bias and homer ism, but he has the potential to be the best running back in the league. That is how talented he is. He is incredibly talented. He's so explosive and powerful. If he is healthy and in this system with a commitment to the run that this coaching staff and these play callers are going to have. He has got an incredible opportunity ahead of him. And it's why we'd been talking about it for months. This is the guy you want to take a flyer on. I know they're not going to spend big in free agency, and this was all when a salary cap situation was a mess. They didn't have any money, and it's like, well, this guy makes too much sense to take the flyer on it. I'm just so over the top that they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pencil those as in. I feel like for running back one and two right now and interchangeable. But the rest of the running back room, Isaiah Spiller still a young guy. Bunny Videll Is it Videll?
Speaker 1: It's Videll so mistake. I even put the comment on the YouTube. I felt terrible. I have a friend I grew up with named Vidal Singh, so I think either that or Vidal sas Soon because I'm old. But you see v I d A L and Vidal exactly. I don't have any vod elsa Sooner and I got the dry look going right now. But so going back and watching and actually listening to those highlights because you know me, I can't possibly stomach listening to other play by play guys who are so much better than I am. But yeah, so everybody talked called him videl which VI I d A L. But Videll kamani Videll. Whatever he wants it to be is what it's going to be unless you're Dan gaed Zurich, because you don't get to be Dan gaed Zurich for four years at UCLA and then get to the Bucks and all of a sudden your dads reached that I can't do all right. I didn't figure that way. That's not okay. Same with the same Monty Ball. You can't be Monty Ball it Wisconsin, and then all of a sudden you get to the league and it's like, yeah, by the way, my name is Monte. It's like it would have been nice four years ago.
Speaker 2: Tyrod and Tarrod, Tyrod and Torod. You know though, we had to deal with the Los Angeles for a little bit. We got that, we had to wear that. Come on, man, give me that ten years ago. Talk give me to Rod ten years ago and we're good. There's muscle memory in my brain. I feel like Buddy. I feel like Spiller is the guy that really has a lot to prove this year. Come sureman in. He's got a new coaching staff, he's got two running backs who are very familiar with the system, a guy that they drafted. So Spiller a lot to try to prove this offseason in training camp to make this team.
Speaker 1: And it sucks for him because he should have had opportunities. It's inexcusable that the last coaching staff did not give him opportunities last year when the season was lost. The year before in Week eighteen, instead of running Austin Eckler and playing Mike Williams who gets a back injury when the game didn't count, that should have been an Isaiah Spiller game. Give him every carry and let's see what he's got instead of giving him one or two or four or five here and there. So he is someone that should fit into what Jim Harbaugh wants to do. He is a big back and he is still young, so that there is no reason to think that this running back room is settled. It looks like it is, especially with the style of running that Kamani Videll has. You know, he's small, he's powerful, he's thick like it. It looks like a fit. And remember, I think the interesting thing is going to be where is Ben Mason? Is Ben Mason A is he a tight end? Because they said he's going to be doing ever so like, is that part of the tight end room? And now we're talking about Disley Hurst Mason and then it's a fight for that fourth tight end with Stone, Smart and Parham. And that allows there to be four running backs or is it three running backs a full back? And and that's where Mason fits in because you still can only carry fifty three players. And exactly it's it's hard to imagine four running backs and Ben Mason if he's considered a full back.
Speaker 2: And then wide receiver is a whole nother you know, equation with is Darius Davis just a kick return or punt return solely versus you know, you know, do you carry six wide receivers? We'll get into the wide receivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw there are a lot of questions about that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, a lot of wide receiver questions.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I think fans took note of when Joe Alt was drafted was coach Harball's comments about the offensive line, and first off, I love that he called them all offensive weapons, like we consider offensive lineman weapons. But he said the best five are going to play, and he mentioned Trey Pipkins as being right now one of the best five on the team. So he confirmed for Shaw Slater's going to be left tackle. We will just put Joe alt at right tackle right now, so Trey Pipkins by default.
Speaker 1: And put Zion Johnson at left guard, and we put yeah, exactly, and Bradley Boseman at center. It's like, you know those that that is all there is one position up for grabs. It feels like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Trey Pipkins Jamari Sawyer right now probably the two competing for that. Coach Devlin talked about Trey Pipkins and just the qualities that he sees in him as a player.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's big, he's athletic, I mean, you know, he's a people mover what I've seen on tape.
Speaker 1: He's smart.
Speaker 2: So Butdy's interesting because you know, listen, we've seen Trey develop as a third round pick all the way back in twenty nineteen, and this could be a move for him for the better. Frankly, stay on the offensive line as a starter potentially a lot of time before trading camp. But maybe Trey moving inside could be a thing.
Speaker 1: Like we said, it's the one spot on the offensive line it is completely up for. And whether that's fair to Jamari Sawyer or not, he Jamari's fine because he is He's versatile right, he can play left, right tackle, he can play left right guard. So you need to have someone like that on your roster because injuries happen. So but is he one of the five best Because of the situation that they didn't draft the center, they do have an undrafted free agent and Bucky Williams, who played a couple of years at DJ's alma mater, happy state that that's an all Sun Belt performer. I don't quite know, you know what he should actually just kind of click on his profile to see what his size is, six two three or four. So Bozeman's big. I think that's the one thing. And he said it there right, that Trey is. You know, you're talking about someone who's six foot six, three hundred fifteen to three hundred twenty pounds, not necessarily built like a guard. Those guys tend to be a little bit smaller, a little bit year. You know, for context, zion six just about six three a little over six two six two and a half three hundred and twenty pounds. You're you're talking about a little more compact, little bit more of a people mover as opposed to that length to use your punch in your reach to keep those edge rushers off of you. So will it work? I don't know. But the one thing is like when you look at Bozeman, he is he is not your average center Boseman six ' five, you know, he is six five, three hundred and twenty. And that was in talking to some of the coaches about, hey, how's this senate? Are you guys going? And this was before the draft. I was asking about, you know, how how much is center and play? What does the Bozman signing mean? Is that just sort of the will clap position to have that backup and you're going to find a center out there kind of thing. And you know, basically what I was told is essentially what you heard about Trey. He's a big dude and he can move forward. So we got a we got to shift our that the paradigm has shifted on the offensive line for the Chargers. It's no longer going back. It's going forward and for the majority of the time. So that's something to remember is that the pass pro is going to be, in the hopes of the coaching staff, a lot easier for these guys because they're going to be so dominant running the ball and you're not going to have like we've seen for the last seven years, guys with their ears pinned back coming after you and and just pass, rush, pass or a stack in the box. Don't honor the run, don't think you can run it, because you can't. That's going to change, and I think that's where the whole Are you going to be all right in pass pro? At guard when they're running all these stunts inside and you're trying to keep up with it. And that was the other thing that coach said about Trey. He's very smart. That's the thing about guard is you've got a lot of stunts happening. You've got to keep track of where all these guys are going. Are you teaming up with the tackle, you're teaming up with the center where your double team. So it's a much different position for Trey. But he's big, he's strong, and as they said, he's smart. So there's no reason to think he can't he can't pull it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And on the other side, Zion and coach Devil had some nice things to say about Zionists too, Zion as well. I think it comes down to coaching too money. Just this staff is completely different from what we've seen the last few years in terms of what they want to do, how they want to do it, and coaching is going to be a big deal. And like you said, the paradigm has shifted across the offensive line. So Trey Pipkins is a guard. Hey man, I'm for it if it works. Kurt McIntosh asks where will alt start? We think right tackle, and then he asked about Pipkins. You just answered that question. Let's get into some of them we have.
Speaker 1: I would say, by the way I'm looking, don't be surprised post June first with Cutts. As teams are trying to put their fifty three together, do not be surprised if there's another guard that's brought in. I'm looking at the availables right now. You got Dalton Reisner, Justin Pugh Vytai is out there. You've got guys that have played a lot, and I think the question that you then why at Davis The question you have to ask is the old bill parcells. Are they d i's or are they viable players? Are they development inhibitors? You know, so you can't get your young guys out there that are probably better, but you just trust a vet because the vet's done it. But maybe they're not as good as a player and you'll never know now the young player can't get on the field sort of thing, or you know, and that would be like in the case of Slater. Or are they legitimately better options so that these none of even the wide receiver room that now has seven players, not including the undrafted free agents, they're still look, we just read it right, and we'll get to it, I know, but Tyler Boyd was just in for a visit, so they're still looking.
Speaker 2: Yep. Here, This is a good question that goes right into the offensive line. Most likely UDFA to make the roster and the first guy that stuck out to be money. And I'm sure you looked at this list, but Carson Barhard from Michigan, the Guard, somebody that Jim Harbond knows very well. Just another competitive player that's familiar with horrorball. Uh, And I think that interior there's gonna be a lot of good competition across, and we know that injuries occur in the NFL and you need to have the requisite depth at these positions. You mentioned Jamaris Sawyer and his versatility, the ability to play tackle, having a guy like Joe Alt who could step in at left tackle if need be, Trey Pipkins who could if he's a guard, he could play right tackle on a pinch. So the interior of the offensive line. We heard coach Harball talk about Jordan McFadden as a potential center. That's another guy that you could just add to the competition. But Bardheart from Michigan, that was the one name that stood out to me. I'm sure you have a couple as well.
Speaker 1: For me, there's one that that is one and one A would be a Keen Den just because of the safety room and that they did not draft the safety and that they you know in ach, you know there's a j. Finley, But I don't know what the future of J. T. Woods is and can this coaching staff bring out of him what we saw at Baylor and made him a third round pick. So that's just when you look at the cornerback room. The secondary room still needs some help. Even with Tarheed Still and cam Hart. They added to Robert Kennedy, Thomas Harper, those guys were added. But to me, it's that safety room that that I'd keep an eye on, so Jalen Phillips, but specifically a Keen Dent. That free safety is the one that I would probably circle. Is just an opportunity, right, that opportunity is there for him to snatch up one of the fifty.
Speaker 2: Three Alexavia question mark safety depth. So you just addressed that. But but how about out there?
Speaker 1: See who's still out there? By the way, let me see.
Speaker 2: A guy like Justin Simmons is still out there.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's got the big one, but never know, you know, if you can, if he if he likes what Jesse Minner and Coach Harbaugh or pitching him because he can't find that deal that's going to pay him. What do you think he's worth? What he thinks he's worth. Play a year, come on over, play a year and go on out and make a bunch of money. Yeah, Simmons is out there, Eddie Jackson, Marcus may Kwandray Diggs. There's still Jamal Adams. We know that's more of a box safety obviously, which is where Derwin's gonna probably play most of the time. T Tashan Gibson, I mean there's still a lot of safeties out there, Adrian Amos, John Johnson, Kean O'Neill. So yeah, I mean there's, like we said, there's still second wave of free and that's something that that Jorties had mentioned to us as well, that yeah, there's we're signing guys, There's still going to be free agents that are added to this team. That's that's still happening. So the draft is one piece, the undrafted free agents is another, and there are still going to be veterans that are signed that we have had our eyes on that that will be part of this team when the twenty twenty four campaign starts.
Speaker 2: All right, flock with me one, two three. I know hindsight twenty twenty, But hypothetically, why didn't we do like Arizona and if tackle was such a big issue for us to address that via free agency or trade before the draft, leaving us to take neighbors at five or trade back for let's say Rome or a top corner. Thanks guys, love the show.
Speaker 1: Because you can't. Those players aren't available. That's why I mean tackles. Tackles are different. They're even more different than wide receivers. Tackles never I mean, never hit the market. Laramie. Remember Laramie Tunsel was traded for two months an offensive tackle from Miami to Houston. That's how badly Bill O'Brien needed to solve that problem. Now you might be able to.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say quick, I'm sorry, buddy. Trent Williams. It was such a disaster in Washington that he like he had to get out of there.
Speaker 1: So like, that's such a that's a trade's and I know he wrote trade in there, but it's so rarely happens. So yes, if you're trading for a tackle, you don't have your one, it's gone, it's it's it's totally gone. And so I'm looking like extension. Uh yes, Jonah Williams, he's good, he's good. If he was great, Cincinnati would have never let him go if he was great. Same thing with Orlando Brown. Orlando Brown was they the Chiefs traded a one for him and did not want to pay him because he wasn't great, and tackles want money for just being average. That pays them as though they're great. That's what the problem with that that market is is. And going through like lumin Or signed a two year, fourteen million dollar deal with the Giants. We've seen enough of that guy to know, come on, man, like that's so that's why you draft tackles. Tackles. Elite tackles do not hit the free agent market. Rashaun Slater just had his fifty year option picked up. He's going to get paid. He's going to get the Pina Suol deal. That's that's going to happen before the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Plus Joe Alt's almost six nineties, twenty one years old, and I would argue it's not even really an argument. I think he's better than any potential tackle you could have traded for or not even free agency. And it's not even close. It's not even close.
Speaker 1: And the money you're gonna pay m six million bucks a year not not you know, Joona Williams got fifteen million dollars a year to be average. Joel's going to get six million to be exceptional, we think, and.
Speaker 2: Muddy, I don't want to put Eddie words in flock with me one, two, three's mouth. But I think it just goes back to the wide receiver. You know, they roam and neighbors. I do think fans still were wondering, like, man, we could have got neighbors, who could have got Rome? But again it goes to the example of would you rather get a tackle in the second round and it got in Rome or neighbors? No, because there was no there's no tackles available. You got the best possible tackle. And in my mind, a wide receiver who's hand to glow fit for Justin Herbert, someone that can get open, who could separate, who's an exceptional route runner, perhaps the best route runner in the draft, and you plug him into this offense.
Speaker 1: Right, We've just seen it too often we have, and I know those three and I believe in those three. I think they're all going to be incredible wide receivers for a long time franchise, you know, franchise changing wide receivers, and a Dune's a Neighbors and Harrison. I believe that. However, year in and year out, we see it. You know, whether it's just take your pick, if it's DK metcalf, aj Brown, you know, the the later receivers raised that Rashid Rice last year. I believe that Lad McConkie is a first round talent wide receiver. It will not not only will it not surprise me, part of me expects it that he is going to lead rookies in receptions. I believe that I think he's I think there is a very good chance that he could end up just because of the way he fits with how this offense is going to operate. I could totally see him leading all rookies. And it's just the same way that Puka Nakua fit. He just Puka landed in the perfect place for him the way that they wanted to use him the offensive scheme, and that was and the fact that Cooper Cup was hurt so he became a one Like there's just I think still being fixated on the whole neighbors thing is, Look, it's not going to change that Joe Walt is a charger like it's that there's not going to be a trade between these two teams that somehow brings neighbors here. So trying to relitigate how they should have drafted or what they should have done does you no good because if you're right, You're not gonna want to You don't want to be right, Jorge. If you're a Charge fan, you don't want to be right about this. You don't want to have the I told you So there's that's that that does nobody any good. What you want is Joe Walt to be the best right tackle. He and Slater to be the rest the best tackle tandem in football, and say, yeah, that makes sense. That's that's the way they wanted to build this team. And it makes sense to have two dominant tackles because you can do a lot of damage with that. Just look at what Detroit did.
Speaker 2: Neighbors Daniel Jones and Drew Locke throwing him the football. Roma dun Day probably entering camp is the number three option behind Keenan Sure and DJ Moore. You look at the other wide receivers drafted in the first round, there's guys that are ahead of them. I think Marvin Harrison the only exception to Lad mccaukeey being like a guy who's going to catch like probably seventy five to eighty balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna have a big year. He's gonna have I hate saying this, but I just I feel like I have to and I don't have to, but I just feel like I want to say. And I'll what alert freezing cold takes. God knows. I'm popular over there with one particular position I took a while ago. But I did not like the body language of the League neighbors. I just didn't like it. Man, I didn't like his demeanor. I didn't like the way he was. He seemed very poudy to me. He seemed poudy when he got picked by the Giants. He seemed dispassionate and indifferent at the presser. I don't want that. And what was he doing when he was out here? What was the biggest thing that happened for Elie neighbors when he was out here shopping for houses?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, thank you, no thank you? Uh sorry, just not interested in you? Not interested. I keep going back to the same phrase that that Jim Harbaugh shared. What's good for the hive is good for the bee. And I don't think he's a what's good for the hive guy, So not not in my interpretation of the way he has behaved since being selected by the Giants. So no, thank you. I'll take Joe alt Over that guy eight days a week and twice on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh this though you don't have to touch it.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I'll wear it. I'll wear it.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, there's no doubt if you saw Malague neighbors come out of the van to talk to the GM of the head coach, ridiculous like, like he didn't look like he was that happy to be there. And when they asked him about I told I told you this a couple of weeks ago on the pot during the combine, he said they got to fix that quarterback situation in New York. He said that, like preemptively before it even was a thing, that he was going to be drafted to the Giants. So yeah, that that felt like a weird situation, like he wanted to be maybe a pick before in LA.
Speaker 1: Or somewhere else, and for what I believe was the wrong reasons. Yeah, So I'm good. I'm I'm I'm beyond happy with with all. See him get out of that suv and tower over Jim Harbaugh, former starting quarterback in the NFL, made him look like a child. Great, sign me up. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Speaking to the wide receivers room.
Speaker 1: Chris G.
Speaker 2: And there's there's a lot of these questions, so maybe we can use this as the as the example. How do you think the wide receiver room will shake out between who makes the roster and how many? Especially if they add a vet? Last episode, I thought it was interesting when Money suggests that Davis could be on the bubble. You go for a brother and then I'll pick up.
Speaker 1: With Darius Davis. Sorry, my phone was exploding for my daughter. Wanted to make sure it was no emergency. She's just harassing me, so give that to me again. I'm sorry, Chris. That is my great mistake. I ignore my phone unless it's one of the kids because it's on Do not Disturb, but it just came through.
Speaker 2: The kids take priority, Chris G. How do you think the wide receiver room will shake out between who makes the roster and how many? Especially if they add a vet? Last episode, I thought it was interesting when Money suggested Davis could be on the bubble.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I look, there's a lot of bodies in there, and we believe in those seventh round picks, and I think Brandon Rice can be special. Cornelius Johnson fits in with exactly how Jim Harbaugh wants his wide receivers to work in tandem with the offense as a whole. He's a heck of a blocking wide receiver and a good fifty to fifty guy in a red zone target, a big bodied wide receiver. So you get those two with Quinton and Joshua and obviously mcconkee, and now you're at five, you know. So that's that's where the Darius Davis part becomes interesting because I don't know, for a team that's that's probably going to be one of the most run heavy teams in the NFL. I don't I don't imagine you're carrying more than five receivers. So it it certainly gets interesting, and it's it's a but now that can change because of what's happening with the kickoff rule, where it does make sense to designate one spot as a returner because you're going to go from fifteen percent kickoffs return to ninety percent kickoffs returned, and you want that explosiveness, and do you want to expose lad McConkie to you know, do you want to expose him to the hits on the returns?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So that's that's the thing. It's is Palmer john to me, Palmer Johnston, Mconkee Rice, I think are locks. And then it probably comes down to Cornelius Johnson. And what if they signed Tyler Boyd he was just out here for a visit. What if they signed DJ Shark, who was just out here for a visit. I could totally see them wanting to add a veteran to this group as well. Boyd was majority slot, but I think the Shark, the z Jones, those outside receivers are certain. The guys that play predominantly on the outside, those ones are interesting. And we know they like plucking guys from Carolina that were in miserable situations. So they already got aiden Hurst and Bradley Boseman, why not DJ Shark as well? So that'll be interesting because they're not going to carry six wide receivers. I just don't. They could carry five and a returner, but I would be floored if they're committing six of the fifty three to that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the beauty of this conversation is that they don't have to make a decision about how many wide receivers and who it's going to be until late August. So a competition, competition, competition. Like I'm on the record, I think they absolutely need to add a veteran because I don't think Cornelius and Brendan should be the only wide receivers pushing Quentin and Joshua. Like I do think you need a veteran in there to to just have the wide receiver room a little bit more complete in terms of competition, like this is what Jim Harball wants. And if DJ Shark is out there, Tyler Boyd shoot even I mean Odell was in Baltimore last year. I don't know if Odell's going to Miami or not, but I throw him in there, you know, throw in another guy MVS. I know he dropped some balls in Kansas City. He also made some clutch plays for Kansas City. So I would one hundred percent add another veteran wide receiver to this room. And I think the relationship between Ryan Ficken and Darius Davis. Keep in mind, for as poorly as last year went across the board, the two highlights from the draft class two and Darius Davis the second TCU wide receiver drafted. He was electric last year. And yeah, I remember the one game against Vegas Money at home where first series of the game, he had like a fifty yard run. So who's to say, like Greg Roman can't find a role for him on the offense as well. So you know, as we sit here in May, I know that Jim Harball is going to make sure that everybody feels a little bit uncomfortable about where they stand on the team in terms of am I gonna make it? Am I gonna be a starter? Am I going to be a backup? And that's how it should be. So add another veteran, and you know, I don't know I think Darius Davis makes the team, though I think.
Speaker 1: I do too. I think I think returners are too valuable now. But to me, I just I don't know. You know, you you assume all the draft picks are gonna make it. That's what you typically assume. Yeah, and you know that's that's sort of where where the conversation comes in. All right, well, why did you use a draft pick when you need depth that safety, you need depth that You still need depth at corner, you still need depth at defensive tackle. You didn't take an edge or you know, you didn't take an edge and you took a receiver there, So you don't expect him not to make the team. You know, to me and Cornelie, Johnson's a little bit different than Brendan Rice. Brennan Rice. It's just crazy that he fell. So you assume he's going to perform like a third or a fourth rounder in training camp when he shows up and you're just scratching your head as to why did this guy fall to the seventh round. So that's sort of why I'm projecting him as a lock even though he was taken in the seventh. So, yeah, it's a great problem to have, isn't it Before? This is the worst wide receiver room in the league. What are they doing to Justin Herbert? Now we feel a lot better about it, and we're talking to my guys that have never taken a snap in Maconkie and Rice joining Palmer and Johnston. But I'm with you, I do think that that a veteran's on his way. I'd be very surprised as I'm going through the wide receivers and I mentioned you mentioned Beckham, I've talked about Michael Thomas repeated that dude's a big, willing to block, you know, incredible hands receiver that that would make sense the like we said, Jay Jones, DJ Shark, marquezvel Des Scantling, just to have that big body X that you can put out there, is comfortable in press as fast as all get out. Even though the production wasn't really there with the Chiefs, He's still a threat and still made huge catches in big games because he's he's able to shake free, he's got a huge frame, he's he's good at catching the ball. And like, that's another one that I could totally see. I think of all of them as I'm looking at him now. Thank you Warren Sharp for posting these so I can keep track of them. Yeah, Boyd Beckham, Thomas Jones, marcusvel Des Scantling, DJ Shark, I think any of those makes sense. And you're gonna get him at a bargain rate.
Speaker 2: Yep. And hey, that's why they have a practice squad too for some of these seventh row picks. If you know, if they clear, if you put them right through, yep. Uh So, a lot of questions about the wide receivers in free agency. Mister Bolt asked, uh, do you think the team is finalized for next season?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, even Lightning McQueen fan, are the charges more likely? To add a free agent signing to the quarterback corner sorry, cornerback or wide receiver room. We talked about wide receiver, what about corner.
Speaker 1: Money corner I think is number one that that that room still needs a lot of help to.
Speaker 2: Any names, any names that stick out to you. Xavi and Howard is the one name that.
Speaker 1: Still Yeah, that's again it's it's sort of the old like we said that the Bill Parcells, you know, development inhibitor is is it is it good to have Xavi and Howard or would you rather have tar he still out there playing nickel? So that's that's what you've got to figure out. How do these guys fit. Do you expect them to be able to pick up on on a scheme? It's a complicated scheme, but I would assume everybody's learning at the same time. So it's it's the perfect time to get you know, these corners in. Yeah, Dori Jackson, Stefan Gilmour, it's a very smart corner. Pat Peterson, who's this? J C. Jackson? Don't know who that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's he's already had a he's already had a stint in Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Los Angeles, there's a reason why they're still on the market, But I would expect them. I would expect, like we've we talked about safeties, I think safety and corner. I'd be really really surprised if one wasn't added from each of those groups. And we already talked about the safeties and Eddie Jackson, Justin Simmons, Marcus May, Michael Hyde, Quandary Diggs, Jamal and there's a lot of safeties out there.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is a great question from Noami Money. In previous pictures, DJ Derwin James was wearing the green dot. Does this continue through the season or is there Eddie validity to the rumors saying Junior Colson will wear it even as a rookie. Time will tell, obviously with you Colson and how he picks up a defense that he already knows, how he picks it up at the pro level. But one of the things that we talked about for the last couple of years, Money was just how much was on Turbin's plate in Brandon Saley's scheme and how it maybe bogged him down a little bit, Like, you know, if this is something where he has to learn a new defense and call the plays Hey, we know he can do it, but is that something you want at at Durbin or do you want to kind of use him in a different way. Time's gonna tell.
Speaker 1: With all this. To me, it's a question of what you just said, how are you going to use him? Is he going to be all over the field? Is he going to be the strong safety? Is he going to be the nickel corner? Is he if he's settled into one spot and he's not moving all over the place going from edge rusher to outside linebacker to strong safety to outside corner to slot corner to free safety. If he's just settled in one place, then yeah, it makes sense to give them the green dot. But if you're constantly moving around him, or he's got to keep moving around and identify what his responsibilities are for that particular play because he's now in a different part of the field than I don't think it makes as much sense. It's just it's too easy. With Colson, he was the captain of the defense. He was quarterback of the defense at Michigan. It was the best defense in the nation every year that he was out there, someone that coach McDonald said was the best player on the team the year that he had Aiden Hutchinson on his defense, so we know what they thought of him at Michigan, and clearly he knows the defense better than anyone on the Chargers right now. He knows where everyone's supposed to be because he's the guy that got everybody lined up, and I firmly believe he's going to be out there. To me, the question is who's going to be out there with them? And boy, I sure would be excited if they break defensive huddle snap one week one and there's Dayan Henley and Junior Colson out there too. Freaking missiles can run sideline to sideline, that can get downhill in a hurry, and in the case of Colson and Henley, pack a punch. Those dudes get to you fast and they bring some thunder. That is what I'm hoping. I am hoping that in that competition, those are the two starting linebackers when when we watch this team take the field to start the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 2: This is what I love about this this type of podcast with the Q and A, we go seamless through right to another question about the linebackers. The EO guy, both Junior Colson and Dylon Henley were drafted in the third round. How much different are the two and how big is the gap between the two of these players?
Speaker 1: Thank you well, Junior Colson's bigger, you know, he's considerably bigger. Dayan's about six feet and probably in like that two hundred and twenty pound range. You know, Junior Colson's more. He's probably pushing six three to fifty, you know, too, forty five ish, So you're talking about someone who's quite a bit bigger, especially for the linebacker position. Dayon is more in that current wave of linebacking in the NFL where you're not playing guys they are too forty plus at the linebacker level. You are willing to play guys in the two twenties because of the athleticism. So that I think just that's the That's the main difference, right, is the size. Outside of that, they're both incredibly athletic, they're both incredibly fast. Just yeah, they can cover, they can get downhill, they're both aggressive. They both pack a punch when they arrive at the point of attack. So I think those are the similarities, but the differences are the size, and so that's why I think it works right where you could play juniors your middle and and that and and dayon is you know is your outs is basically with him. So junior is Junior is Kenneth Murray and and dayanas Eric Kendricks is kind of from you know, going back to last year is what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know all about We know all about Denzel packet of punch. He's one of the hardest hitters, yeah, that that we've seen come around Coast of Basa in the last five, six, seven years.
Speaker 1: And I think the thing with those two guys is they're three down linebackers with both of them because they can cover, you know, to me, Denzel is probably a little bit more of a two down you know, run stopping linebacker, you know, and and you know he's going to come off in Nickel. I that just personally that's what I would think. So that's it's a great question. So, yes, they are very similar, but they're also different just because of the.
Speaker 2: Size and the fact that he has to ask that question. Just as to the perplexing pile of Isaiah Spiller, like like, why didn't we see more of Henley last year?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, now we know he was hurt that that he had that hammy that he said he just could not shake all year, and he had an ankle that you know, they never want to tell you during the season that they're hurt, because then teams are going to come after you. But when we were at the draft party and we saw him and kind of talked about his season, he pointed out, He's like, I'm so happy I'm healthy, Like I just could not shake that hamstring injury last year and still played great on special teams. But maybe that prevented him from practicing and earning his place in the rotation. But I would have yes, considering some of the coverage issues that they had, it would have been great to see him out there.
Speaker 2: Which rookies have the best chance to earn Defensive Rookie of the Year an Offensive Rookie of the Year. This is from Bolt Gang member. Immediately, I think of the second and third round picks as being those candidates.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, yes, you have three rookie quarterbacks that are all going to start day one, well at least two of them are going to start day one in Jaden Daniels and Caleb Williams, So they are of course always going to have the leg up. But Rashaun Slater should have been in the conversation for Rookie of the Year. That was all pro left.
Speaker 2: They don't want to give it Aligneman.
Speaker 1: No, So that's why, unfortunately for all But if, but there's no reason why you know, Joe Alt should not be in that conversation. If the Chargers go from one of the worst rushing teams of the last decade to the best rushing team and they're running behind him all the time, and Justin Herbert throws for forty five hundred yards and thirty touchdowns and he doesn't give up but maybe one or two sacks, then he should be in that conversation. But yeah, the obvious the obvious answers are mconkey and Colson, and Colson, if he stayed out, he was gonna yeah, an twenty tackles.
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say, you laid out the argument for lad already and it's a good one, right right. Justin herbertsoham the football he can get open, right Colson, if he gets you know, one hundred plus tackles, you know, TfL is a pick. You know, he he could be the quarterback of the defense. And if Jason Jesse Mitzer's defense arrives like we hope it does in year one. Yeah, he could be a candidate for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's not that. There isn't that dominant sack defensive player in this draft. There wasn't. It's why there were fourteen offensive players that went off the board before the first defensive player was taken, and a Lot to it fifteen to the Colts. So I guess Lot too could be that guy that could maybe get to nine ten sacks. I could, I could see that. So but outside of that, the corners, you know, I guess if Quinnon, Mitchell or Cooper dejen with that front in Philly, that could create opportunities for them to pick off four or five balls. You could maybe see that. But outside of that, Terry and Arnold in Detroit again solid front there with Hutchinson, that can create some opportunities for him to pile up. I don't see any reason why, and I have not looked at the odds, but I don't see any reason why that you know that Colson shouldn't be one. You know, I'll look it up right now while you find the next question. Let's see what the odds are.
Speaker 2: All right, look for the odds. And this is another kind of draft related question, Hi, Kris, look forward to the pod drop of you of money each week. Question out out side of Olt, Ladd and Junior, which of the later round players do you guys believe we'll look back in two to three years and say, quote, holy cow, what a steel he was. That's a great question. That's from Donnie.
Speaker 1: So sorry, I can't. I don't know what's going on with my brain. I can't do two things at once. Do the odds first, do the odds versut defensive Rookie of the Year. I was wrong. I thought for sure he'd have you know, he'd be one of the favorites. He is not. And understand I of course spaced on a handful of them. So he is at plus four thousand. I would get on that if I were you people, why not throw something at that? Throw a hundred bucks to win four grand on Junior Colson rolling the dice that he's going to be the starting mike and pile up a ton of tackles, a couple of sacks, maybe an interception or two. But you've got Dallas Turner on Minnesota at plus five hundred lat two plus six fifty, and then I forgot about the rams taking both verse and fisk verse to them versus powerful. Yeah, and when you got young and on the interior push and you've got a chance to get double digit sacks. So he's at plus one thousand. After that it's Quinnon, Mitchell and Terry and Arnold, and I also forgot about Byron Murphy and Seattle who could do some damage from the inside. But still plus four thousand. Man, I can't not allowed to, but uh, you folks, go ahead, man get after it. Throw semaup something on that due offense.
Speaker 2: Is Lad there?
Speaker 1: Ladd is there? Yeah? So Lad is at plus thirty five hundred, and it's you know, Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison, Jaden Daniels, JJ McCarthy. So that's all the quarterbacks. It's going to be really hard to overcome the quarterbacks because one of them is going to be great or at least very good. When when you know, so just like last year, the idea that Pook and Akua did not win it because CJ. Straw was so good like, but Puka basically had the greatest wide receiver rookie season we'd ever seen. And he still couldn't win it because there's always going to be a quarterback probably that that raises his hand. All right, let's answer this question you again, my mistake, let me get it again.
Speaker 2: Uh, outside of old Ladden Junior, which of the later round picks, you guys believe we will look back at two to three years to say, holy cow, what a steel he was.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with the guy that I didn't know and have gotten to know now since we did the pot on Sunday, and that's Tar. He's still I think he could end up being there starting nickel. He's a good looking player, man, So that's that's the one to me that I think a boy Bee is more of a even though we had the production, the sack production, I think he's gonna end up being more of a point of attack, free up the linebackers type of linemen. So I don't think you're going to see a lot of the the eye popping box score production from him. But he still is a good looking player now, man, he's I'm I'm sorry. I think he could win that nickel. I think he could end up being the starting nickel day one. I would not be surprised. So that would to me that one and then the other obvious one is Brendan Rice just because we don't know what's going on there, you know, what's what happened with why he fell when when you think about his production and being able to look I don't, however, you want to chop it up. When you can put together twelve touchdowns in a single season, that's special, Like that's that's pretty special. If you can get if you can put six tugs on the board as a receiver, so that to me is is is impressive as well, So that won't be surprising. But yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna go Tarheed Still, how about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad we have different ones. I'm gonna go cam Hart. The freaks lists, intangibles I couldn't get out of my out of my mind, the Richard Sherman wide receiver turned quarterback comp and and the fact that he has his DB's coach from Notre Dame with him in Los Angeles. I think maybe the learning curve for some of these rookies, and that goes for you know, Junior Colson as well. The fact that you could bring in players who have familiarity with some of the coaching staff I think is a big deal. But cam Hart's just his numbers in his like freakish athleticism and maybe what O'Leary and Minser can do with a guy like that, you know, it's intriguing. We don't know, you know, Like still the more I look at Still too. And I think I mentioned this last week, but Hortiz says he was scouting some of the other Maryland DB's and he couldn't tell who was who. It's at points because keep in mind, like the Terms have had some high draft picks in that secondary in previous years, so still is very intriguing, especially at Nickel.
Speaker 1: But I would say that Chris that I would that to me, cam Hart is more of a not twenty twenty four pick, someone who's still in talking to some people after and ask and their opinions on, hey, why did this guy slide? It sounds like he still kind of got to learn how to play corner. That did all of those trade. He's a traits player. You get him in, let's see if we can coach him up to be a corner and and to be able, you know, to locate the ball to understand you know, to to not get handsy, but instead try to get comfortable taking your eyes off your your man and being able to turn around while still knowing where he is without getting had. So I think that's that's the one thing about Cam is I would not be frustrated if he doesn't see the field a lot this year. I think that. I think that pick in the fifth round is more of that. Hey, let's worry about twenty twenty six with this guy. Let's let's get him in here and let's get let's let's co let's earn our money as coaches, and let's coach him up to be a corner because he's still got a little bit of a ways to go on that front.
Speaker 2: Which speaks to what Donnie's saying two to three years from now, maybe he figures it out and yeah, and he's a player and a consistent starter.
Speaker 1: Maybe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's see see what else we got here? Money?
Speaker 1: Uh, we has a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Is there a position group?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Answered that one. We answered that one. We answered that one. Someone asked about Corey Linsley. Uh, I wouldn't count on Corey Lensley coming back.
Speaker 1: I think that's he's he's retiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three spots open. What free agency do you think they will sign. We talked about corner, We talked about wide.
Speaker 1: Receiver, about receiver, the receiver safety, That would be my guest. I think you could probably still add somebody on the on the offense, on the front of the defense, the defensive front. I don't think that's it. And you know, I think it's also best player. Think of it like the draft, you know, you know, it could also be a best player available, you know, and and the do do you need a big body? Do you need a rusher? Do you need someone who can get some push on the you know, on the line? Is Kalais Campbell still a viable you know who played in Baltimore with John Harball those years and played great. Does he have anything left? So there's certainly a handful of players at all positions that Yannick and gockways as a pass rush special, you know, as a as a deep you know, I'm trying to think of Ogba's out there? Who else is here? Yeah, there's there's there's a lot of guys that are that are still on the market for a reason.
Speaker 2: Last question, I think we answered pretty much all of them. Guys has always appreciated, especially last minute questions like this worldview matters. Uh, what would coach Harball and Roman likely be looking for in a complete tight end room? And you talked about this at the beginning, but we can dig dig into a little bit more, especially tight end three and four spots. A blocking specialist that can play the Y at F or an H type. Now you talked about Ben Mason maybe being considered part of that tight end.
Speaker 1: I think that's who he is. Yeah, I think you just I think he just described Ben Mason. That's who can who you know? Because who I think it was coach Bischoff who said, ye An, you know he's an H that's what we see him as. However, can play some why and he can? So that's that to me, is Ben Mason is that sort of versatile. I don't think there's anybody being added to the room. You know, they they got Zach Hines out of South Dakota State as as there as an undrafted free agent, and he seems to fit. He's that sixty six two and sixty pound athlete that that you know, you take the flyer on. So to me, that room is done. It's it's Disley and Hurst that are going to be out there in twelve. They'll they'll be the two tight ends that play the most. And and then I think beyond that, you're talking about Mason and either Parham or Smart who fight for that last spot or if Hines can sneak in there as an undrafted free agent.
Speaker 2: Last question from Chris Hayry, Buddy, do you think Lebron James deserves a statue cover?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Got some traction, huh got on a little bit. Like I said, say it was you chess man, right. I watched a guy you know who was wearing number eight, number twenty four, and if the game was on the line, he was going ninety four feet. Dude, he was picking you up at half court. It was not going to be you that was going to get a clean look. And just to see that guy floating on the baseline with a hand on Aaron Gordon not even part of that play, as Jamal Murray easily went around to pick that Austin Reeves got cleaned out on and took a wide open left elbow jumper to end their season. Is just sorry, dude. It's six years of Lebron James and five of them, they have finished seventh or worst in the Western Conference. So how was that a success for a team that only counts championships and nothing else. He finished in seventh place or worse in five of your six years here, I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got some work to do. That offensive board that Aaron Gordon got too late in the fourth, yeah, just.
Speaker 1: Threw them away like a rag doal. It's like you, he was the best player of his era. There is no denying that. However, thirty nine twenty one years in or twenty two twenty one years in, it's clear you get gassed by the end of the game because you're old and and your legs are tired, and you're you got a bunch of minutes on you. So handing over three years in one hundred and sixty two million, like the stories immediately posted as soon as he was done, soon as the Lakers were eliminated. In drafting BROWNI to appease and just did not sit well with me, Like, I'm sorry, You're not Kobe, You're not Magic, You're not even pow who was here one half think about this is the Chargers pod. So I don't want to know I'll just I'll just add this, I'll end on this. It's a footnote a lakerte Pole Gasol played and he's you know, I work for the team when Pole was there. He's one of my favorite players I've ever been around, one of the most benevolent, gracious, just gentle giants. As on the guy. He was here for six and a half years. Six it's all. It felt like, felt like twenty years because of how important he was and the impact that he made when he was here. So he basically played for the Lakers three months more than Lebron has. And you got three trips to the finals, two championships. Number sixteen in the rafters, as it should be, because he felt like a Laker, felt.
Speaker 2: Like three consecutive trips to the finals. Yeah, and he he came in two thousand and he came midway through the year, right and like him with Kobe, like boom, istant chemistry, three straight trips to the finals. And he also was going second round of the playoffs. And you know after his his three straight trips to the final. So I'm with you, I'm with you on a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Yep, call me a Lebron in or I don't care. I don't like him. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Like I said, this this is a Chargers podcast. But you know what, buddy, there was a there was a Lakers playoff series, a Clippers playoff series, that a King playoff series in addition to the n AFIL draft. So I mean it's a lot cool about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's listen, that's why Jim Harbaugh has got to come to the rescue. This is so we're doing this on Thursday morning. I'll have the radio show this afternoon with Petros and you know, we both come up with a story that kind of drives something. And so my thing today, after watching last night, I'm like, how did we become the city that can't win in the postseason? How are we? You know, all all show and no substance, you know, all sizzle and no steak. You got the Dodgers have gotten bounced in the first round the last two years by Arizona and San Diego. You got the Chargers who have a twenty eight to nothing lead and can't knock off the Jaguars to advance to take on the Chiefs. You got the Rams who were close but couldn't get a win in the playoffs. You got the Lakers that have gotten you know, bounced this year in the first round. Clippers are going to get bounced in the first round. The Kings got bounced in the first round. Like, how well this is not this is Los Angeles. We should not be the place that's got these teams that are one and done in the playoffs and every single team it cannot advance. It drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: Jim could change that hard boss, the type of guy you could change that energy. So guys, thank you for your questions today.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Like like Money said at the top, it's it's a joy to do this because you guys are such a big part of it and it's May second man, and we have we have just as much interest as it is to be like week six, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have some new VOTs on the team next week for this part. I guarantee it. I guarantee it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so we will We'll see you next Thursday for money. I'm Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly.
Speaker 1: Have a go