Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, the lift in futures is getting a lot of help this morning from Apple. That stock is rallying six percent in early training. The company announced the biggest stock buyback in US history, and although Apple's revenue fell more than four percent in the quarter, it was better than analysts predicted. Mark German covers Apple for Bloomberg News.
Speaker 4: Big picture here is that Apple's doing a little bit better than feared.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: You still see declines across all of their segments other than the mac and services, but a little bit better than what we had anticipated, or not what we had anticipated, but what had some anticipated in China, certainly a lot of optimism around artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: In Bloomberg's Mark German says Apple predicted a return to revenue growth in the current period. As for that stock buyback, Apple's board approved an additional one hundred and ten billion dollars in share repurchases and also raised its quarterly dividend for the twelfth year in a row.
Speaker 6: Well, Nathan.
Speaker 1: In addition to earnings, the economy remains in focus, and later this morning we will get that jobs are poored for the month of April. Economists are forecasting a gain of two hundred and forty one thousand jobs and the unemployment rate to hold steady at three point eight percent. We get a preview from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 6: One reason the Fed feels that can stay on hold is that the labor market remains strong. The question today's data may help answer is whether it is too strong. Unemployment has remained below four percent for more than two years, job growth has averaged over two hundred thousand a month for more than three years. Forecasters see no change coming in the April figures, so the key question maybe what happens with wages. Data earlier this week showed compensation still rising at a pace that could trigger higher inflation. Michael McKee, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, Mike, Thanks, and ahead of that job's report, bond traders have pulled forward expectations for the Fed's first full interest rate cut by a month to November. The recalibration comes with the best two day rally for short end treasury since January, following the Fed's latest policy meeting on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Well, now, Nathan an update on a possible bidding war in the mining industry. Shares of Anglo American are up more than three percent, and this follows a Reuter's report that Glencore is studying an approach for the miner. Anglo last week rejected at thirty nine billion dollar all stock proposal from BHP Okay Keren.
Speaker 3: Now, let's get to the latest on the college protests across the country. Police have now arrested close to twenty two hundred people over the last few weeks. We get the latest from Bloomberg Zed Baxter.
Speaker 7: Arrests in every corner of the nation, and President Joe Biden directly addressing it, saying two principles at play.
Speaker 8: First is the right to free speech and for people to peacefully assemble and make their voices heard. The second is the rule of law.
Speaker 2: Both must be upheld.
Speaker 7: He says. The two have to balance, so protest, but not be violent or hateful at Baxter Bloomberg Radio all right.
Speaker 1: Ed, thanks, But Columbia University says thirteen the forty four people who occupied and barricaded themselves inside Hamilton Hall had no affiliation with the Institution. New York City Mayor Eric Adams says outsiders are counted for almost a third of the one hundred and twelve people arrested in a crackdown that occurred at Columbia on Tuesday evening.
Speaker 3: Than Karen with Some universities that are holding graduation ceremonies this weekend are trying to keep a lid on potential disruptions. The University of Michigan says staff and security officers are ready to respond to any incidents. The university says interfering with commencement will not be considered a free speech Indiana University is designating protest zones outside graduation venues, and Northeastern Universities holding its commencement at Fenway Park well Nathan.
Speaker 1: A second week of testimony wraps up today and former President Trump's Manhattan hush money trial. The prosecution's star war witness, Michael Cohen, still hasn't taken this stand, but the jury did hear a secret tape of Trump's former lawyer discussing a payment with the former president. It didn't go into details, but it was recorded around the time one hundred and fifty thousand dollars was paid to former Playboy playmate Karen McDougal and Karen.
Speaker 3: Jurors also heard from Keith Davidson. He's the lawyer who represented Stormy Daniels when she received one hundred and thirty thousand dollars from Michael Cohen. Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Arenberg says there was one bombshell moment in Davidson's testimony.
Speaker 9: There's this very powerful text message that came out in trial where Keith Davidson texted, what have we done after Trump wins the election, acknowledging that everything they did was to help his election, and now it came to fruition and now there's buyer's remorse.
Speaker 3: And Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Arenberg says Trump's defense has worked to poke holes in the credibility of prosecution witnesses and show the former president was trying to protect his reputation and family, not his campaign, by keeping the women quiet well.
Speaker 1: Nathan Donald Trump may be spending most days in a courtroom in Manhattan, but he's also focusing on winning the White House this fall. In Bloomberg's Amy Morris has.
Speaker 10: More, Trump is sharpening his focus on a possible running mate by bringing top contenders for the job to an exclusive donor retreat in Palm Beach this weekend, along with hundreds of deep pocketed GOP backers. Sources tell Bloomberg the shortlist includes Ohio Senator jd Vance, North Dakota Governor Doug Burgham, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, and South Carolina Senator Tim Scott. Trump's campaign says nobody knows when or who Trump might choose, and Trump has said he'll make his decision closer to the Republican National Convention in July in Washington. Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thanks.
Speaker 3: As for President Biden, he's making a move to court Latino communities. The Biden administration is extending the Affordable Care Act to people covered under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA. That's the program that provides work permits and protection from deportation to people who came to the US as undocumented children. About one third of doctor recipients, known as dreamers, don't have health insurance. The administration now expects one hundred thousand people to sign up.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan, another whistleblower who raised safety concerns at Boeing has died. Forty five year old Josh Dean was a former quality auditor and Boeing supplier Spirit Aerosystems. The Seattle Time says Dean was hospitalized at developing breathing problems just over two weeks ago. Dean's death follows the passing of another Boeing whistleblower, John Barnett, who reportedly died from a self inflicted wound in March. Time. Now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 2: Michael, good morning, Good morning Karen.
Speaker 11: A tanger fire on the Connecticut Highway turn traffic into a parking lot for motorists like this truck driver.
Speaker 6: I'm coming from New Haven and you've got stuck out here for six hours so far.
Speaker 11: Fortunately no one was heard, but Governor Ned Lamont says parts of On ninety five linking New England and New York will be closed for days. More from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 2: The tanker truck was filled with gasoline. It burst into flames in a three vehicle crash on I ninety five in Norwalk, closing the East Coast's main north South highway and causing major traffic jams. The crash caused damage to the bridge above it, which the governor said will need to be demolished and replaced. It is reminiscent of last year's deadly accident in Philadelphia along I ninety five, when a tractor trailer carrying gasoline lost control and caught fire, destroying a section of the highway. In New York, Charlie Pellett Bloomberg.
Speaker 11: Radio, a home in South River, New Jersey exploded last night, leaving at least one person dead. The home was completely destroyed. The Middlesex County Prosecutors says the person killed a sixty two year old Kevin Gilbert, and the second man was taken to the hospital for treatment. Democrats that Governor Katie Hobbs has signed the repeal of Arizona's Civil War era near total ban abortion. Hobbs hailed it as a proud moment for Arizona compared to other states with strict abortion laws.
Speaker 4: Today, we are doing what twenty three governors and fifty.
Speaker 1: Five legislatures refused to do, and I am so proud to be the ones that got this job done.
Speaker 11: Arizona still has a law of banning abortions. After fifteen weeks on the books, Ukraine's President Vladimir Selensky appealed for a weapons package to be delivered by the UK as soon as possible. In a meeting with Foreign Secretary David Cameron, Zelensky updated Cameron on the war with Russia during a meeting in Kiev. President Joe Biden will award the nation's highest honor to several people today, the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Nineteen individuals will received the award, including Nancy Pelosi, the first woman to become House speaker. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen Burray.
Speaker 1: Michael Burr, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stashaur.
Speaker 2: John, Good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 12: It was only a first round series, but there was so much drama between the Knicks and Sixers. It will be a memorable one and Knicks fans will remember big three pointers down the stretch of Game six in Philly.
Speaker 13: Ball, rebound Heart looks to push a head to te Vincenzo one to one with Maxie steps through, kicks it out, brunts it again, knocks it down two in a row for Jalen Brugs it shot Bocket eight, bucks it up top, Heart wide open, three pointer.
Speaker 2: Fires away, knocks it down.
Speaker 12: Joss Hart puts the Nicks up by three waf and that Heart three snapped a tie with twenty five seconds left. Nicks hit their free throws at the end. They beat the Sixers one eighteen one fifteen, won the series four two. Jalen Brunson forty one points. He's the first player since Michael Jordan thirty five years ago to have three straight forty plus point games to close out of series.
Speaker 6: He had help.
Speaker 12: All five Knick starters were in double figures. Dante DiVincenzo played the whole game, had his best game with twenty three. Joel Embi led the Sixers with thirty nine. After Tyrese Maxi's heroics in Game five, when he scored forty six, he was quiet for most of Game six.
Speaker 11: Knicks will not take on Indiana.
Speaker 12: The Facers won their game six at home by twenty two over Milwaukee, who didn't have Giannis out the Cumpo the entire series. Game one at the Garden Monday night, the NHL finally announced the Rangers Carolina series will start at MSG on Sunday. They haven't yet said the time. They'll be at game seven Tomorrow night in Boston. Toronto, who won Game five two to one, took Game six to two to one. The Bruins goal came with one second left, wild comeback win for the match. They won seven to six. In our Francisco, Lindor two run hit the tops of the tenth and eleventh innings. Both ended with Starling Marte throwing out a Cubs runner at the plate. Yankees lost in Baltimore seven to two, so the Orioles took three to four. They held the Yanks to six runs in the series. Nationals lost six to nothing to Texas. Giants beat the Red Sox. John Starshawer Bloomberg Sports, Karen Nathan.
Speaker 8: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager as we wrap up big tech earnings with results from Apple. The iphonemaker did come out with better than expected sales and what was already expected to be a down quarter, and it's offering the biggest stock buy back in US history. That's certainly giving the shares a lift this morning for one of these results and where Apple goes from here. We're joined by Bloomberg Intelligence senior tech analyst Matthew Bloxham. Matt, good morning. So it was slight beats for the most part all around, but the bar was pretty low for Apple, right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was, And I think the story of the day and today likely too is China. Yeah, that's been in focus for them for quite a few weeks now, people seeing potentially quite weak shipment sales for them in the first quarter of the calendar year, losing share to Huawei. But actually what we saw from China was better than expected performance and I think optimistic commentary from Timkok on the call, which Alice was struggling to square away. I mean, essentially China, which is about eighteen percent of their revenue, fell about eight percent in the quarter. The analysts we're looking for about eleven percent decline, and Timo was saying on the call that actually the iPhone cells were up year on year and that actually in terms of preferences, it's still doing really well. He said that the iPhone fifteen and Promacs take the top two spots in terms of preferred smartphones in urban China, and he pointed to the increasing shift towards the middle class in the country, implying, I think that you know, they're confident that over the mid term, the still a strong opportunity for Apple in the China market.
Speaker 3: Do you buy the optimism that we're hearing from the CEO when it comes to growth in the middle class sector in China when we do continue to see so many headwinds for the Chinese economy.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I think it's an issue that's going to take some convincing, as you say, given the kind of the mixed noises on the economy, but also the tensions between China and the US, and the fact that the likes of Huawei local smartphone brand and other local brands have really been kind of stepping into that void and exploiting the opportunity. So I think is by no means going to be an easy pathway for Apple in that market. But you know, they need to keep innovating product and I think whilst Chinese consumers see the cachet of the Apple brand as something aspirational that should keep them in the mix.
Speaker 3: And obviously the one hundred and ten billion dollars stock by announcement is getting so much attention this morning. I wonder if you think that's the right move when Apple is still trying to get back to this promised growth projectory of trajectory of at least single digit growth this period.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's about four percent of their market caps, so you know, I think, given the reality is that Apple isn't an out and outgrowth stook anymore, you need to be kind of offering something and obviously by doing a buyback rather than obviously they have a dividend, but it's very small, it's about a half a percent. You'll maybe that you know that actually the buy back helps to give earnings growth a little bit of a momentum whilst they wait for the kind of the product refreshes to kind of help the top line. So yes, getting a lot of focusing. The reality is that Apple is a huge cash flow generating machine that's still got a net cash balance that you know isn't going to disappear anytime soon, and that gives some strategic options you know, for the future about you know, investing in things like AI for example, and possibly looking at bigger acquisitions for the down the line that kind of keep them relevant in the mid to long term.
Speaker 3: And to your point in our last minute here, Matt, there's going to be a lot more attention on the product announcement coming out next week and the focus on AI. How high is the bar for Tim Cook to really come through on this idea of a next big thing finally for Apple.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think it's pretty high that this is the stock that's still trading on twenty five times forward earnings. So maybe not so much the iPad announcement next week, but certainly the June updates on their AI roadmap is going to be really important because I think that will kind of connect all the way into all of their future product pleasesn't including the next iPhone refresh in September. So I think they really do need to give a convincing view that you know that the GENII offering from Apple across its products and services, is going to bring more people into the ecosystem, and it's going to prompt assisting customers to maybe upgrade Sona, perhaps shift to a more expensive device, and you get more momentum in the top line.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty.
Speaker 5: In San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 5: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERRIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak