Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our day Break anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, a look at some of the big announcements we can expect from Apple's latest product event on May seventh, and to look at earnings from the world's biggest entertainment company. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 3: I'm Stephen Carolyn London, where we're thinking about vote splits and inflation dynamics ahead of the Bank of England's upcoming meeting.
Speaker 4: I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong. We look ahead to Chinese President Shijinping's trip to Europe. What does he hope to get from the EU.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg E Loove the three Own New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg one O six one, Boston, Bloomberg nine sixty, San Francisco, DAB, Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one nineteen and around the world on bloemberg Radio dot com and via the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby and we begin today's program with tech giant Apple its latest product event this Tuesday, May seventh. For more on what we can expect, we're joined by Mark German, Bloomberg, Chief correspondent on Global Technology. So, Mark, thanks for being here. What do you expect to see on Tuesday? From Apple?
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. So it's been about a year and a half since the last time Apple released new iPads, right that was October twenty twenty two, So they went the full calendar year of twenty twenty three without a new iPad. That was the first time since the iPad was unveiled by Steve Jobs in twenty ten, where the company went a full calendar year without a new model. On Tuesday, that's going to change. The company is going to be updating its two highest and iPads, the iPad Pro and the iPad Air. These are going to be quite significant updates. The iPad Air, for the first time, is going to get a larger screen size option. That's a twelve point nine inch model, much bigger than the current eleven inch model. And for the first time, the iPad Pro is going to get an OLED screen. That's a crisper, more efficient screen. Technology looks much better that they've been using on the iPhone and the Apple Watch for years. So that's finally coming to the company's iPads.
Speaker 5: Well, that's big.
Speaker 2: What kind of role will artificial intelligence hardware play in this?
Speaker 6: So the new iPad pro at least, is expected to have an updated processor that will set the stage for AI enhancements that the company will roll out at the end of this year. So the iPad won't come out the gate with these new AI features, but it'll have hardware insights to be able to support a new slate of artificial intelligence enhancements when those already towards the end of the year with their operating system update.
Speaker 2: Okay, so with the iPads, we're seeing a big change. We know that iPad small compared to the sales of the iPhone, but still a significant change for Apple. And let's talk about what it means to Apple for the iPad and is it a launching point for future iPhones? What works in the iPad?
Speaker 6: Well, five six years ago, the iPad was really peaking, and then it increased in sales again during the COVID pandemic when people were just sitting at home buying a bunch of stuff, thinking they need these things. But now what you're seeing are bigger sales for the Mac, and you're seeing more people buying iPhones instead of iPads because the iPhone screen sizes have become so big. And by the way, they're going to make the iPhone screen size even bigger in September with the iPhone sixteen Pro line. But the iPad certainly does have place for some people. The problem is is that Apple's veered from the original vision. The original vision of the iPad under Steve Jobs was all the features and goodness of the iPhone, with a larger screen, better for viewing photos, better for watching movies. And then you know, about a half decade ago, they did this odd thing where they tried to make it a quasi laptop replacement. They added support for track pads, they added support for more pro applications. They were at least their own keyboard, They have that Apple pencil stylusts and it's sort of this in between device, right It's past the point of being the simplistic future of the computer, and it's nowhere near a true laptop replacement. And that's problematic. Being somewhere in between. That's probably the place you don't want to be. And so what they really need to do with these new iPads is pick a direction. We're long gone from the idea of these things just being a bigger iPhone. We no longer want them to be these in between our devices. We want them to be true laptop replacements. And with the improved hardware, the better screens, the larger displays in the iPad, air, faster processors, a new version of the keyboard and trackpad case, I'm expecting it makes a lot of sense that these things are going to be better for people who want to replace their laptops.
Speaker 2: Is there also going to be a new iOS operating system that it's included in these new iPads.
Speaker 6: Well, the version of iOS that's coming with these new iPads going to be a version of iPad OS seventeen, which came out last year. That's the current operating system. The next operating system for the iPad that's going to be iPad OS eighteen that won't be announced until June June tenth actually at their developers conference. That will be the update that includes all those new artificial intelligence features, but that won't be released until sometime around September this year.
Speaker 2: And September also when we should see the iPhone sixteen.
Speaker 6: You said iPhone sixteen launch should be in September as well, and those will be the larger displays as well as a new button on the higher end models that you can control the camera zoom, moving between video and photos from the side of the phone itself versus within the software.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about the iPhone for a minute, because that sounds great. But you've reported the need to maybe have a more affordable, mass market phone to compete against all these rivals in China and really grow the base of the iPhone. How close is that to a reality.
Speaker 6: Well, I personally don't think that's going to have in under Apple's current management. You know, they're so strong in their principles. There's no belief internally from at least a management team that they should release a cheaper phone. This is something they've considered over the years. Personally, I think this would be a way to gain market share and push back against the issues they're having in China. It would help them grow in India, potentially build a business in Eastern Europe other developing markets such as those in Africa and Southeast Asia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia. But I don't think they're going to do it at least anytime soon. There certainly isn't one in development right now. The idea would be, you go to gain market share, make probably no profit on the phone itself, make up for that on apps and other services subscriptions, and then as the middle class expands in those developing markets, you're able to pitch those people who are already in the Apple ecosystem on more expensive price your iPhones, where Apple could ultimately make its profit.
Speaker 2: Oh but this Tuesday, May Apple's latest product launch all about new iPads and our thanks to Mark German, Bloomberg Chief correspondent on Global Technology. Well, we move now to the entertainment and media company Walt Disney, with Disney reporting second quarter earnings this coming Tuesday, and for more on what to expect, we're joined by Geetha. Raganathin Bloomberg Intelligence Analysts on US media. So gather, what are you expecting to see in Tuesday's earnings?
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, Tom So. Disney actually is just fresh after winning a very very contentious proxy battle. If you remember that whole showdown that they had with Nelson Bells. They've gotten through that and now they are really ready to focus on execution. So there's a whole range of initiatives that they've been working really hard on, which is cost cutting, increasing financial visibility, and also really working hard on kind of reintegrating their content engines. And we look at this as catalysts. There's already been a change in sentiment, and we're going to continue to see that change in sentiment playouts as they report their fiscal second quarter earnings. There's a lot of things to kind of look to. I think the two major things are, of course going to be the parks business, where you know they've kind of guided to low teen's growth in operating income, as well as the streaming business, where we are almost tom on the brink of profitability, and that should really get investors excited.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a big change. How has the return of Bob Iger really helped Disney in this direction, whether streamlining operations more cost effective or just taking charge.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he's been instrumental Tom and kind of really writing the ship, if you will here. So obviously when he came back, things were pretty messy, especially with regards to kind of the whole content pipeline and just you know, the whole series of missteps with their content, whether it was on the film side or even on the TV series side. Obviously, those things take a little bit of time, but I think what he has really managed to do quickly is to articulate a strategy strategy with you know, the streaming business, front and center cost cutting initiatives. You know, they first started out with about five and a half billion in cost savings per year. They've kind of ben up that to seven and a half billion, and then just overall kind of making sure that the business is on a really strong footing. So if you kind of look at Disney, yes, we tend to focus a lot on on you know, the TV networks ESPN, and you know, maybe some movies and then the studio, but if you actually look at the business profiles, seventy percent sixty five to seventy percent off Disney's profit comes from its theme park business. And so what you know Bob has done, obviously is they've kind of articulated a plan now to really reinvest in that business. It's it's sixty billion dollars that they're going to spend over the next ten years, and then with regards to the rest of the segments, kind of again make sure that you know content, Content, of course, is kind of the lifeblood here at Disney, so just kind of make sure that they have a strong content pipeline which will then feed into everything else.
Speaker 2: Well, that's seventy percent of revenue at the and those theme parks never seem to be without tons of people, So that's good news. But let's go back to what you said about the streaming services and being close to being profitable. I know that Disney just made a deal with Kroger, the nation's biggest supermarket chain for Disney plus what can you tell us about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so, I mean they are doing all these deals, and again the main objective here, Tom, is to make sure that you know, subscriber momentum is maintained. But as you know, streaming is no longer just about subscribers. It is also about being profitable. We know Netflix has kind of really established the narrative here, turning out about you know, eight nine ten billion dollars in profit. Disney is going to be next. So they have lost tons of money, almost close about eight billion dollars or so on their streaming business since launch. But the good news, and this is something that investors are excited about, is that this is really just on the cusp of turning profitable. It could very well have been in the quarter that they're about to report, or if not, it'll be in the next quarter. And the idea here is that it is going to keep getting more and more profitable. And we have a lot of catalysts on the horizon. So, yes, you have subscriber growth, but I think more important than that is, you know, price increases, which they are definitely going to implement going forward, and that will be bolstered by a really good content pipeline. They are also cracking down on passwords sharing alain Netflix, and then of course they have the ad tier, and then with the integration of Hulu, you know, you have multiple positive elements that are really kind of going to get this virtuous cycle going.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's going to be any update on the sports streaming partnership with Fox and Warner Brothers that was talked about a few months ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is actually supposed to come out sometime in the fall. There have been you know, a couple of regulatory issues surrounding that, you know, yeah, probably. I mean I think they are definitely going to be asked how far along they are in terms of the infrastructure and the setup, and you know, if they're ready to kind of show a test version of that, which I'm sure they are, given that upfronts is coming up pretty soon.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: One last thing I want to ask you about is the studio division still suffering like all of Hollywood from those twin strikes last year. What can we look forward to?
Speaker 7: I mean, they really had a pretty bad year last year, but the good news is they're really kind of back on track in terms of executing on creative. They're improving their studio output. So as you look forward to twenty twenty four, you know, we do have kind of this refreshed content slate. We're looking at Inside Out two and Deadpool, both of which promised to be really big summer movies. But where we're really excited about is twenty twenty five. You have a whole array of you know, what we think would all be blockbuster movies, whether it's Captain America's Norwide. So Disney is really getting its mojo back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of twos a lot of threes after those movie titles. But give the people what they want.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Disney second quarter earnings out after the close this Tuesday, May seventh, and our thanks to get the raganaffin Bloomberg Intelligence Animals on US Media. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend to look at the Bank of England's upcoming policy meeting. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program, Chinese President Shijin Ping visits Europe. Will it help repair relations between China and the continent. But first in the UK, recent hotter than expected inflation figures coupled with a strong labor market may have put the breaks on hopes that the Bank of England is poised to begin cutting interest rates in the coming days. Threadneedle Streets decision makers will vote once again. So will they stick with elevated borrowing costs or take the plunge for more. Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg day Break Europe anchor Stephen.
Speaker 3: Carroll, Tom stop me if you've heard this one before, but since the start of the year, traders have scaled back their expectation for interest rate cuts. Okay, that's been the situation facing many central banks around the world. In the UK, it's a mildly hawkish run of data that's giving some pause for thought on top of what's been happening with central bankers elsewhere. CPI inflation came in at three point two percent in March in the UK, down from three point four percent in February. That was slightly ahead of the Bank of England's forecast, though, but BOE Governor Andrew Bailey didn't seem phased and assured markets that things were still on track. We've been getting the market view of the rate path ahead for the UK with Hugh Ginberg, global market strategist at JP Morgan Chase Bank.
Speaker 8: I think, really what the market is grappling with here is does the UK look more like the Eurozone or more like the US? Because I go back twelve months ago and the answer to that was categorically that the UK looked a lot more like the US economy, where you had the tightness of the labor market, you had much strong inflation pressure, whereas today I think, arguably it's a lot more Eurozone like where yes, inflation is still higher, but inflation is coming down. It's going to come down significantly further over the next couple of months as that energy household price cap reset kicks in, and so I do think the bank will be able to follow the path more like the ECB than the Fed. I personally think they start the rate cutting process in August. But again we're talking about relatively modest adjustments to interest rates, and so for bond investors, the main message here is that you're playing for really clipping the coupon in government bond deals today, with the potential for capital appreciation if the economy slows much more quickly. But I don't see a kind of straight line lower for bond yields until we get much weaker economic data than what we have at the moment.
Speaker 3: Do you think that Andrew Bailey is in a position to be able to give clear signals given the sort of uncertainty that exists elsewhere.
Speaker 8: No, But then let me, if I may flip your question the other way around and say, well, should he be giving clear signals? No, he shouldn't because all central bankers are struggling to read the inflation data, just as markets are trying to predict over the next one to two months. Are we going to get point threes or point four's? It is nigh on impossible in this current economic environment, and so I think the right approach for central bankers today is to take stock of the incoming data that they've seen, but try to keep that medium term view because they're trying to set policy here over the next twelve, twenty four to thirty six months. They shouldn't be swung around by just what the last one or two weeks of data has been telling them. The blanky reviewer missed opportunity, yes or no.
Speaker 3: Ah, good politician Lizzy.
Speaker 8: Could they have gone further?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: I think that it could. I mean there is some useful points there in terms of trying to communicate more clearly. I think everyone would welcome more guidance from the Bank of England in terms of how they're seeing the economy. But do you want a dot plot in the UK, for example, I would argue no.
Speaker 3: So that was Hugh Gimberg Global Markets Strated US at JP Morgan Chase. It's worthwhile, too thinking about how the Bank of England behaves versus its peers. Members of the Monetary Policy Committee have an advantage in that this meeting is coming just a week after the FEDS, when Jerome Powell signaled that they were further away from cutting rates than before. The European Central Bank has signaled strongly that it's planning to cut rates at its June meeting as it grows more confident that inflation is continuing to slow. So how will the BOE fit into what's happening elsewhere. I've been discussing the outlook for the upcoming meeting with Bloomberg's chief UK economist Dan Hansen. I started by asking him what's changed for the BOE since its last meeting on the twenty first of March.
Speaker 9: I don't think a huge amount has changed, to be honest with you. We've had a few upside data surprises, but they were very, very small, and if you look at see the most important thing, what happened to inflation over the first quarter. It came in at three point five percent. The Bank of England's forecast in February, the last time it put a forecast together, was three point six percent, so a little bit below, but for me, actually, what's been most interesting is what policy makers have been saying, which is what you alluded to there, And we've had remarks from certainly Bailey, Andrew Bailey and Dave Ramsden that are very much sort of moving in I would say, the dubvish direction. There's a little bit of uncertainty. I think about what Hugh pill did or didn't say in his speech, but I think the thing for us that we took away at least is that there he said that there's been little news in the data, which is obviously clearly very important. So I think to answer your question directly, whatever you believe sort of following the March meeting, the Bank would do at least looking domestically, and we'll probably get onto the Fed in a second. There is a much reason to change. You're thinking about the when the first cut will come?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let's deal with the fetish and we'll come back to the split on the committee in a moment. How much does the signals that we got from Jerome Powell that Ratcot's look further away than they did before. How much does that affect the BOE.
Speaker 9: So markets think it affects the BOE quite significantly. If you look at the way BOE pricing has moved, if you look at the way FED pricing has moved, they've essentially moved in locksteps. So what's interesting is I think the comments that Bailey made about that that the UK's inflation problem is more like a European inflation problem, so the problem facing ECB than it is like the US's demand led inflation problem, and I sort of am inclined to agree with that. Particularly this year, I think there's going to be this quite big divergence between the UK and US inflation story, mainly driven by energy, but that sort of spills through into the rest of the CPI basket. So I don't think the FED going later is an impediment to the BOE. I think it can go before the FED. And actually, one thing that the BOE has got to be really quite careful about is that it doesn't allow what's happened recently. So they're tightening of financial conditions to spill into the UK economy and we've seen that affect some metrics in the economy already. If we think about house prices and the like, and mortgage rates. You know, the bo needs to be wary of that. Everyone talks about the exchange rate impact of going earlier than the f but actually what you also need to be worried about is allowing tie to financial conditions to affect your domestic economy when your domestic economy is already very weak.
Speaker 3: What is your expectation there in terms of the inflation trajectory, I mean, when when does the two percent target look likely to be his?
Speaker 9: I think in the next few months. I mean it might not quite get there in April. I think May or June are pretty good bets for when we'll get to two or even below two in fact. So I mean what one really important consideration I think when you think about that, is that the bank will have the May CPI print before the June meeting, and I think that will It'll be very hard if you have a too or even particularly if you have a sub two percent CPI inflation print in your hand not to do something. So I think that for us is sort of the next few months of data after this, after we get past this meeting. The data between the May and the GEME meeting are basically key, and I think that will set the tone for the rest of the year. In terms of what the bank thinks it can or can't deliver.
Speaker 3: We talk a lot about the FAD's influence over those central banks. What about the European Central Bank? If the Bank of England has a similar inflation problem in large Bailey's eyes to the ECB, does that mean actually the ECB decision, which is widely telegraphed for June, is likely to influence the BOW decision.
Speaker 9: Well, I think it will help that the ECB just chronologically goes first, so in June, their meeting is before the banks, so I think there will be a bit of cover there. As you say, Bailey has made that comparison to Europe more than to the US, and you take that alongside the fact that you will potentially have a very favorable CPI print in hand. I think the sort of cards are aligning for you know, we think it's June. A lot of other economists think it's August, but sometime in the summer for them to move. So I think, yeah, the ECB is sort of I think it's an important thing for the bank to have a bit of cover there. The ECB's gone, there's no sort of reason for the banks to sort of sit on its hands.
Speaker 3: What about the rest of the year. Then after the kind of first cut that we're looking at in that summer period, is it going to be kind of start start depending on the data, do you think, or on Once we get a first cutter we look like what we are on a steady trajectory.
Speaker 9: So I mean it goes back to my answer to the first question is that whatever you believed following even the February meeting, but certainly the March meeting, it feels like you should probably still believe something pretty close to that now. So we still have meeting by meeting at least for a time, and that's a lot more aggressive than market pricing. I think for market pricing to be born out, you would have to have quite some bumps in the road. But if you're sitting at two sub two percent headline CPI inflation and services inflation continues to fall, albeit slowly, and you have to sort of expect it to fall slowly. It's not going to drop like a stone like the headline rate has. I don't see any reason why they can't move, as I say, at least initially, meeting by meeting. I think they'll come a point and I think it's around about the four percent mark where they get a little bit concerned about where what we call the neutral rate is to the rate that neither speeds up or slows down the economy. But I think there is room between sort of where we are now and around four percent to potentially take out what they're calling restriction in the policy stance and sort of it basically eased the squeeze on the economy.
Speaker 3: What are the risks to the inflation outlook that you'll be watching. I mean, you mentioned energy. We had that spike and oil prices which are sort of receded now, so that seems to be a little bit out of the picture. But is it still energy the thing you'd worry about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think I think it's energy. And to without wanting to sort of tout the speech too much, how Dave Ramsden sort of characterized the whole thing is that I just feel there's not enough weight being placed on the downside risk here. You know the way inflation surged in the UK, if you sort of go through the sort of mechanism headline inflation surged, people saw that they pushed up, they bid up their wages because the laid market was tight, and that is eventually fed through to services inflation, and high energy prices are pushed up services inflation as well. Now energy price inflation is where in fact we're in disinflation. The headline rate is falling. You have to put some weight on the idea that that mechanism goes into reverse and quite quickly. And I think Bailey and Ramsen, at least certainly in their comments are sort of alluding to this, that you have to look forward a little bit more and not just be completely data dependent. And I think that actually goes to the CRUXFID a little bit, where the bank's reaction function has shifted a bit, not just being completely on every CPI print and hanging on that, but looking forward to say, look, this thing can unwind quite quickly, So we probably need to take a little bit of insurance out to ensure that we're not caught on the downside on the way down, because we don't want to make the mistake of being too slow coming out of this, having arguably been too slow getting to it in the first place. So that for me is the risk at the moment, and that's why it's probably sort of when we see what they say on their main meeting. They'll probably say the risk of broady balance to the outlook, which is sort of a big shift again because they've been constantly emphasizing the upside.
Speaker 3: And just coming back to that vote split's idea. Whilst what will get you excited in terms of the vote risk.
Speaker 9: Any votes for it?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 9: I mean we've put our preview out and in that we say that we think Ramsdom will join THINGRA inviting for a cut. I think that or any more going for a cut would get people excited. I think if you had an eight to one again, which is what we had in March, and similar guidance, it wouldn't feel like we'd moved closer. It might feel at that point it had been pushed away a bit. So I think there needs if it's going to happen in the summer, it needs to feel like it's coming closer. In a more dubbish vote split or even a tweets the guidance would be the things to look for on that.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Bloomberg's Chief UK economist, Dan Hansen, I'm Stephen Carolyn London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 10: Europe.
Speaker 3: Beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Streets.
Speaker 2: Tom beg you Steven and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, Chinese President shi Jin Pining said for a trip to Europe, what could this mean for relations between Europe and China? I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby, New York. But your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. Relations between China and Europe have been Chile as of late, but with Chinese President shi Jinping set to visit Europe in the coming days, can we expect to see a thaw in that relationship. Let's get to Daybreak Asia hosts Brian Curtis and Doug Prisner.
Speaker 4: To Chinese President Shijinping heads to Europe in the coming week, is expected to deliver the message that China has more to offer Europe than the US cares to admit.
Speaker 1: She will be traveling to France, Serbia, and Hungary on a five day trip. Those nations are seeking investment from China even as tensions mount. Relations have cooled over a range of issues, including trade, allegations around spying and Beijing's support for Russia.
Speaker 4: Even with Ty's slipping of late, it appears that both sides will probably try to woo the other. Sources tell us that French President front Sois Macron will take she to a corner of the Pyrenees where he used to visit his grandmother as a.
Speaker 1: Child, and she will likely again make this point affordable clean energy from China will help Europe fight both inflation and climate change. Here's Dan ten Kate, Bloomberg Asia eco Gov executive.
Speaker 11: Editor from China's perspective. They're like, look, the world needs a bunch of evs, so there's no problem with us investing in these, and we can provide cheap cars for your people. So you know, the visit to Hungary is important in that because you have Chinese companies looking to set up factories there, and you know governments that are happy to kind of have this investment from China to gain jobs locally and to have cheaper electric vehicles in their market.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Dan ten Kate joining us now in our studio is far further discussion on this is Jenny Marsh, a team leader for Greater China eco Gov, and Rebecca Choan Wilkins Bloomberg Asia Government and Politics correspondents. So, as we heard there from Dan, it's going to be a little given. Take Jenny, let me go to you first. As Doug said, relations have gotten a little testier of late here than before. We have these EU probes on Chinese made evs and also medical devices procurement. So it might be tempting to say that this will be a tougher trip for she than usual, But after all, this is the president and he's not going to face a lot of press, and the meetings will be at a very high level.
Speaker 10: What are we expecting exactly? And you can add to that list that he's picked three countries in Europe which are already considered to be some of the more friendly ones. So you know, going to Serbia and Hungary, these are not two countries that should be critics of China's policy. Quite the opposite. They're sort of big fans of Beijing's investment into their countries, and he can use those countries as sort of showcase this is what engagement with China can offer to you. France is going to be sort of the most important stop, and in France is also going to have this trilat with as lovel One Delaion from the European Commission, and so I think, you know, that meeting, I think is Macron's way of saying that, yes, Si Jianping is coming, and we're throwing this big banquet for him and taking him sort of this very personal childhood retreat. But at the same time they're not going to shy away from some of the tougher questions. And you know, she sort of is the architect of this de risking narrative language which the US then adopted. So I think in that trilat in France on the first day with Macron and Vondalayan, you're going to expect the toughest probably conversations he'll have during that trip on China's industrial policy, on She Jianping's continued support for President Vladimir Putin despite you know, the war in Ukraine grinding on, and sort of you know, this propping up Russia's war machine, something which has been really pivotal in changing the shape of the China europe relationship in a way, I think that people in officials and Beijing didn't really grasp at the beginning how consequential that was going to be. So you know, I think, yes, he's going at a time when probably relations between Europe and China have never been or in decades haven't been quite so testy, and distrust is growing. But he's carefully curated this itinerary, I think, obviously to serve his interest best and sort of promote the narrative that he wants to tell on this trip.
Speaker 1: What about what she may be attempting to do in terms of US EU relations and whether or not there's an opportunity for him to maybe insert a bit of a wed chere, Rebecca and try to exploit some division. I mean, we know there's a tremendous amount of unity, but there are disagreements, and would she use this trip to try to capitalize on some of that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that's right. And just to take a step back briefly, the broader context here is that Europe and the European Union in particular, has for a long time viewed itself as this sort of middle path. It has wanted to resist automatically siding with the US, not just because of its policy on China, but also because how the European Union historically has viewed the US itself. It has not wanted to just automatically throw its weight in, but the Biden administration has worked hard to get its allies and partners on side to try and build consensus when it comes to taking a firmer stance on China, including for example, picking up that de risking language, moving a little bit of showing at least a little bit of give and take with the European Union stance there. But we have seen this steady drumbeat of probes and investigations into Chinese industries via the EU, and that has essentially taken EU policy much closer to the US.
Speaker 4: Well. The inroad on cars too by China seems to have made a big difference. You know, you've got this probe that's underway and byd has a plant coming in Hungary. We understand that it will take about three years to be completed, and a lot can happen between now and then. I mean, you'll get the result of the probe in the EU, and you know that could be quite damaging. And this kind of three years out for a plan, it shows how difficult planning can be. Lot can change in three years.
Speaker 12: Rebecca, a lot can change. But we do, for example, also have another Chinese automaker Cherry taking over an old Nisan factory in Spain. We think potentially there could be announcements of more such car factory plans in Europe during this trip. So wild China is still waiting to see the results of that probe, a probe which was actually backed by France. It's worth mentioning, you know, China is still working very hard to try and at least prove that there are benefits, as Jenny points out, if you do engage and the fact of sort of going and opening factories in European countries, creating jobs, driving some economic growth, may try and sort of it may ease some of those tensions and some of those anxieties, but it certainly is hanging over I think many Beijing companies' heads at this moment. It's worth saying too, though, that Beijing has very actively engaged in the debate over capacity with the Europeans. So, for example, these long comments from Litiang and President cy Jimping when German Chancellor Schultz was in the country quite different from the more sort of standard and sort of briefer comments that we had when US officials have visited Beijing and discussed the same topic.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting you make that point because recently German Chancellor Olof Schoalz was in China and addressing the issue of things like unfair competition, dumping, over capacity. Jenny, are these perspectives that are uniquely German because of the German manufacturing economy, or do they expand more broadly across the European Union.
Speaker 10: They expand more broadly across parts of the European Union and beyond as well. You know, Schultz's visit to Beijing came just a few weeks after Yellen had been in Beijing, also carrying the same message, and the US Treasury Secretary warned Chinese leaders at the time that the concerns that the US has on Chinese overcapacity are shared by lots of countries around the world. And so Schultz coming and sort of he really echoed her message, you know, almost to the word. Just a few weeks later, really sort of hammered that home. And that's sort of part of a broader sign too, you know that the European Union and the US they're China policies kind of now sort of coalescing into one joined up policy. Obviously, the big thing on the horizon is the US election, you know, and if we do see President Donald Trump coming back into the White House later this year, he could take China policy in a whole different direction. He become much more hawkish, you know, much more sort of unpredictable. And then I think the Europeans are going to have to sort of think if they still want to walk in lockstep with the US on their China policy. But for now, you know, the two sides are very much in sync into how they're presenting their concerns to the Chinese. And that must be worrying, I think for China. You know, two of these huge economic blocks both presenting the same concerns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go back to Dan ten Kate. We talked with him briefly about how she might be appealing to the EU to pursue a more pragmatic policy toward Beijing.
Speaker 11: She views Macron as someone he can do business with, someone that is not inherently reflexively anti China, that can stand up to the US and kind of forge a middle path. And it's kind of key to China's long standing strategic aim, you know, to kind of drive a wedge essentially, and not be in lockstep with the US, particularly when it comes to export controls on key chips and other advanced technology that China would need to grow its economy.
Speaker 4: So, Jenny, what are some of the bargaining points that she.
Speaker 10: Will bring to the four It's going to be all about what China can offer France, you know particularly. I think this is where the Chinese like to sort of the like sort of work to the advantage they have, which is, you know, they can offer different countries different carrots within the European Unions. I think for France, you know, it's going to be sort of what their companies can bring in terms of job creation and investment. We know from sources that mccran is specifically going to be asking she for investment in the EV battery sector. So you know, if she can say he's going to steer some of their sort of world leading companies in that sector towards investing in France, you know, that's very appealing from macran. And I think if what they can then do is sort of work out these deals where it's much more of it of a JV and so rather than you know, importing Chinese cars into France. If some of these Chinese cars or goods can be made in France by French workers, then that helps to ease these tensions. But of course, you know there's kind of an irony here too, and that there's been some research showing as well that you know, these European companies now which are actually behind the Chinese in terms of this type of new tech, they're now looking for tech transfer. So when these Chinese companies do set up in European nations, there's also this idea, a risk on the Chinese side of sort of technology leak, where the Europeans are now wanting to learn from the Chinese companies which are ahead. And that's just something which is quite fascinating to think about for a second, because you know, just a few decades ago, the complete opposite was true, where it was you know, European companies in China and the Chinese trying to sort of learn from that tech and you know, seally even perhaps to get ahead. Now everything sort of swung on. The imbalance is so great in some ways that you have these European firms that potentially want to learn from the Chinese, and that's something I think that you know, she has to sort of work out how to balance.
Speaker 1: Thanks to the two of you for helping us set up the meeting this week between the heads of state in Hungary, Serbia, and France with Chinese President Chi Jinping, Jenny Marsh Bloomberg Team Leader for Greater China Eco Gov and Rebecca Chung Wilkins Bloomberg Asia Government and Politics Correspondent.
Speaker 4: I'm Brian Curtis, along with Doug Krisner. You can catch us every weekday here for Bloomberg day Break Asia, beginning at eight am in Hong Kong and eight pm on Wall Street. Tom.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian, Thank you Doug. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street time for the latest done markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Buzzby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.