Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Shan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your h it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. My next guest, Ashley M. Fox is a former Wall Street analyst, Howard University grad HBCU and an expert in a field as a financial education specialist. After helping manage money for both millionaires and billionaires during her career on Wall Street, actually quite a job and started own company, Implify. Implify, merging of the words empower and modify, is a financial ad tech startup that was created to show both adults and children how to build wealth. Since twenty fourteen, Implifier has reached thousands of individuals and his programs have been implementing over fifty different schools and organizations across the country. Her work and story have been featured on Jim Kramer's The Street, Y'allhoo, Finance, Rolling Out Magazine, Philly dot Com, Fox News, ABC, Huffington Post, Glamour Magazine, and forks Please Work with the Money Making Conversation Ashley M. Fox?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: How are you? Did I miss the thing?
Speaker 3: Asked?
Speaker 1: Because you know you got a lot to talk about. Did I miss anything?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I want to make sure everybody know you are the bomb. You know when it comes to what we're about to talk about it, you know, I get a lot of people to show down. They kind of have the credits they you know, they'll throw some credits out there, but you your credits all at the top of the food chain credits there. You know, how do you feel about that? When you know you're out there working in your brand, Because that's what it is all about. You got to you gotta get gain respect for your brand. Then you have to put it out there so people can know about your brand. Because you left Wall Street, tell us about just update I mentioned any of the credit to updates about how did you make that decision, because a lot of people are afraid when they leaveing a solid base to something that's not so clear.
Speaker 2: I think for me, when I never wanted to be an entrepreneur, I always wanted to be a profound African American on Wall Street. So after being there, ultimately my goal was to do something bigger and better. I think working on Wallstreet, I worked with millionaires and billionaire so if you had at least twenty five million dollars, it was our job to manage your money. And after a while, when you are working with millionaires and millionaires and you realized that you deserved to be just like the client, when you're on the other end of the table, you realize you're not going to get there serving the wealthy people. And for me, I always actually wanted to be a teacher. I just never became a teacher because in my mind, I felt like teachers didn't make a lot of money. So if I wanted to make a lot of money, I needed to major in the subject of money, and I needed to work on Wall Street. But after a while, I felt like the things that I've was learning, what I was getting exposed to, so I saw where people were spending their money, where they were traveling, where they were living, what they were investing in, and I felt like you shouldn't have to come from money work in finance, major in finance to learn how to manage, save, and invest your money. And so ultimately I just got to a point where I had a feeling. I knew something was out there, bigger and better, and I did take that leap. It wasn't the easiest thing I did. I did lose a lot along the way, But for me, it wasn't about the money anymore. It was about what was the inside of me saying what was my calling? And I knew that I was there for something bigger and keeping rich people rich wasn't it. But I needed that experience to make sure that I had the tools and resources to educate people who did not get the same exposure that I was giving up.
Speaker 1: Now do you know, because I was driven by money, I think everybody was driven by money. I remember I went to college my degrees in mathematics and started out in civil engineering because I felt that it would pay me the most money. And I realized that wasn't my calling, and eventually my degree was in mathematics, my mind was in sociology. Do you driven by Are you driven driven about the opportunity to make money?
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm driven by either. To be honest, I think I'm I'm a big proponent of just knowing that success makes noise because I remember, even when I left my Wall Street career, people were like, you left from working with millionaires and billionaires to work with people who don't have money, and it made me feel like I was crazy, But in all actuality, I was just like yes. And for me, I created a space. I mean, we all say we don't learn about financial education in schools, but nobody really wants to go put it into the school system because it's not the norm. For me, it was like this has to happen, This will happen, and I'm going to figure out how to make it work. And then I started to make money. So for me, I chose happiness over money. And the more I focus on serving people, the more I focus on doing what I felt was my purpose driven life calling, the more money started to come to me. So I created a space where I would go pitch schools and find out how they ran their schools, understanding how they ran their budget to say, hey, let me teach financial education to these students. I think I created a need that was once there, but no one knew how to provide that need, and so in all honestly taste the money. When I did it, I wasn't happy. So and I realized, let me just do what makes Ashley happy, because I'd rather wake up every single day doing what I love and doing what I love and serving the people that I served. Opportunities come to me so much more than when I was just looking to make money, and I think also to when you're just looking to make money, people can feel that like I can't teach financial education to people who don't have a lot of money and then looking to make money off of them. Now it defeats the whole purpose of me serving the world that I felt like God put me here to serve. And so I found that the more I served, the bigger the opportunities got. The bigger the opportunities got, the more people saw that it worked, and the more successful I became.
Speaker 1: The whole Your curriculum in schools as a elevated O fifty different schools. Now, that's ironic that you said you wanted to be a school teacher, and you left to be in finance, and now you're back to implementing school. So you basically are doing what you wanted to do, but you are controlling, controlling the tone, you know, the tone of you know in other words, you know, you create a curriculum that that values your passion and now you're teaching it as a school teacher would teach your brand and educate the masses like you wanted to do, wanted to do. And so when you when you when you talk about young people, what is the difference that you find the most unique when you're talking to young people about money and talking to adults about money.
Speaker 2: I think working with kids, there's there. Okay, so when you're an adult, we were once that child where possibilities were internet. You're once that that child who thought we could do, be and have everything. And the more we grow up, including our experiences growing up with our parents and our environment, society, the news, we then we then don't feel like it's possible. So we feel like we have to go to work every single day because we have to say build that dream of being happy no longer exists because we feel like we got to do a we got to do working with a child, the possibilities are infinite. Shifting their mindset is infinite, and I think there's less conditioning when you deal with a child than it is with adult. Now, it's not impossible with an adult. You just got to break through a lot more barriers because they've been told no too many times, they've been afraid too often. Whereas a child, they still believe it's possible. A child hasn't seen a bill, So let me prepare you for what a bill looks like. But then also show you how you can build wealth like the people you idolize. But let me start early so that you don't make the same mistakes that adults have made in the past. So in all, honestly, it's it's a lot easier to teach a child because they believe, and also they're there to learn. They know they're coming to school to learn, whereas adults, their fear, there's doubt, there's worried, there's I don't have time. A child, they don't have those excuses because essentially their kids, they haven't gotten to that point in life where they where they would tell themselves no, because society has told them no, too often important.
Speaker 1: That you say that. I would tell people that when you look at their life when they hit forty and fifty, that really, when you don't know what you want to do with your life, just look at look back when you was eighteen to twenty five. We were feearless when you had dreams that, like you stated, the dreams of the impossible, until you start putting up these stops signs, or you got married, or you went off to the military assignment, or you just your dreams or I can't do this because we are very self defeating a race of people once we reach a certain age, I'm not going to try to do that. And that's what a lot of people just kind of like give up, to give up on how they look in the mirror, to give them on what they can do, and the car they drive, the house that live, the neighborhood they live in. And that really is true because as a young person, all you see is what I could can be. And I always tell people I never tell a child what they can't be. Not if they can't sing, I'll tell them, hey, you know you can't sing. Now you need to stop all that manness. Okay, maybe you can rap. Now try rap it, but you can't sing okay, and you know you can't dunk. But from a physical standpoint, but from a mental standpoint, you're unlimited on what you can do as long as you stay in the lane of what you're capable were doing, and that's what you were just implementing right there. That adults tend to doing the teaching process. They got all these limiteds that they keep putting in their brain. I don't have enough money to do that. Oh I don't have time to do that. Why would I want to do that? While you just telling them how, they're telling themselves what they can't do. That's really distracting when you're trying to teach people how to be successful. Can you get can you can you? Can you get them to overcome that? Or you just lay down the plan? And so I'm not going to do it, and a lot of them are not going to do it.
Speaker 2: So I'm a firm believer that things are not taught, they're caught, and I think when people are ready, they'll be open to it. So one of the biggest things, and this is since since I've left my Wall Street career, I've never solicited what I did. I never said, hey, I can show you how to make a bunch of money. Let me show you how to do this. I get people to a point where they're ready. They've exhausted all options. They taken the classes they can take, they went to the bank, they tried to learn everything possible, yet they don't feel connected to the people that are providing the information that they need. And it gets to a point where they say, Okay, I'm frustrated being frustrated, but I know I deserve to make a change. And ultimately that's why the word emplithy was community because it's one thing that gives people education. But in all honesty, everything we teach you can google it. But the real question is why don't we take that information off of Google and actually implement it. That means that there's a mental barrier that is stopping us from executing on the information we have access to. And I think it's one thing to get information, but it's also another thing to get that with inspiration. And so that's where the empower part of emplify comes in. The first three letters are E ANDP. That comes from empower because I can give your resources, but I need you to feel empowered to know that you can do something with these resources, no matter where you are, no matter how much you have, it is still possible. And then ultimately, when you have that inspiration, you have the tools and resources, it then changes the way you see yourself in the role of money in your life, which is where modify comes from, because that's where the change takes place. And so ultimately we start with the mind. If I can change your mind, I can change your bank account. So we focus on your thought process. We know what you we know what you're dreaming of, we know what's uncomfortable for you, and we literally do the complete opposite of that. And then once we do that, give you the tools and resources, and then you realize, hey, I actually can do this. Hey maybe these beliefs that I have are not in mine. Maybe society put them in my mind. Maybe my parents gave me these fears, but they're not my narrative. And so we take those narratives and those beliefs and we change the thinking behind the person with the money, and once you have the tools and resources, you go running after that.
Speaker 1: Ashley and Fox, you know, when I interviewed you a couple of years ago, you was a bad girl back then you're on fire. Now you're on fire. I'm just listened to you going this girl here is you know, because we all learn. I've learned, I've grown, I've grown as an interview I've grown as a person my brain. I know exactly what my brand is and pushing it in the right direction. And I'm listening to a person who's really focused, who knows. And I'm not saying you wouldn't focus when I first interview, but you on fire now? Tell us what makes you have such a strong comfort zone and how did you get to this point to be as comfortable as I'm hearing you speak now? And as I've been following your brand on social media, every time an article pops up, I reading about Ashley and Fox tell us this whole march too, and I know you're not there where You're trying to get what I do. Notice a different tone, a different message being spoken by Ashley and Fox. Am I right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I think I think as the as I grow, the company grows. I think There's been a lot of years of spiritual internal work, a lot of years of therapy also, and to be honest, me recognizing what my beliefs were right. One of the biggest things that I've noticed is while I can sit and say, hey, I want to be a millionaire, the idea of having a million dollars actually frightens me. Right, So there's times where I want to have big dreams, but when I'm presented with the opportunity, I get scared. I remember when I got my first six figure contract. It was just this mind blowing experience, but it was like, hey, you can't sit here and say you want to be a billionaire and you're afraid to cash a check for over one hundred thousand dollars. And so I think as I break through my mental barriers, as I do more, the company grows right along with me. So I personally do not teach anything that I do not do or have not done. And it's a lot easier because it's not just about I read a book and I learned how to teach individuals how to invest in stocks. It's no, this is how I started, this is what I've learned, and this is what I do. And let me try to understand you to make it, to make it easier for you to understand. And so I think the more I grow the bigger I get, the more people I served. So we recently launched our wealth Builders community at I would have never envisioned me being a black woman in tech right, but every morning I would wake up, go into the mirror and say, you are the owner of an ed tech startup. You are the owner of an app that impacts thousands of people from all over the world. And then when it happened, it was just like a oh my gosh, it's here. But it wasn't about something that I wanted. It was about who I was. And I'm a firm believer you don't attract what you want, you attract.
Speaker 1: Who you are.
Speaker 3: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Master Class, hosted by Grishaan McDonald.
Speaker 2: So when I started to believe I deserved six figure contracts, when I started to look at one hundred thousand dollars like it wasn't a lot of money, that's when the money started to come faster. But when I was afraid, the money was coming slower, when I was afraid I would lose money, money was coming slower. But if I knew that I was going to keep going, that this was going to work, and I'm going to change the world. When I change my thinking, the company changes. So I think again. As I grow, the company grows. The bigger I get, the company gets, and not just me as an individual or a brand, but my thought process. Like understanding that, hey, we could make a quarter million dollars in a month and saying that doesn't frighten me anymore, right, but at one point, making ten thousand dollars in a month that scared me at one point. Now it's like I can't pay my bills with ten thousand dollars. We got to do bigger team, We got to get better team. But the more people we impact, the bigger the business get to. So I focused on serving the people because if we could serve a billion people, we could make a billion dollars. And now let's figure out how do we get to a billion people to reach that mark.
Speaker 1: You know, when we started this interview, Ashley said, how many minutes? I guy, because see, you know she got something to say. Now, I'm so impressed with your tone and your leadership in this call, because that's all I want from individuals who call me on money making conversations for their message to be heard. And you're absolutely right unless you believe in something. I know for years, Ashley, as successful as how I have been in my life, it wasn't until my forties that I realized that I accepted my success based on who I was and what I was capable of doing. I just use phrases like right place, right time, just lucky, I know somebody, you knock on wood. All those corny phrases that have nothing to do with being successful, and people use them all the time. And what those phrases do. They limit your capabilities and also limit you and knowledge of what you really are capable of doing.
Speaker 2: And I like you.
Speaker 1: I remember in nineteen ninety five of Steve Harvey and I or Janthon bron we did a concert in the Music Hall in Houston, Texas, and I was my first concert to ever promoted, and I had to write a check to Steve for fifty seven thousand dollars and that's nineteen ninety five, and I went, I couldn't believe I was writing that check, just like you couldn't believe you had a six figure And the thing about it is that once you believe in understand that this is part of your life, part of your mantra, part of your mentality. Then guess what, you could write another check like that. But if you stop and disbelief and awe and get giddy like this is not normal. And that's all she's saying right now, this is the normal way she thinks. Now, see the people that she was doing these twenty five million dollars in these billion dollar deals with and all these people around Believe me, they think a certain way. And I think a certain way too, because guess what, I'm successful. So I go on the grocery store. I don't if I have a coupon, I use it. I'll tell you that I use it. But guess what, I just go in the grocery store and shop. And in fact, sometimes I walked out of the grocery store the other day. I didn't even know how much I pay for groceries. I just gave my credit card because that's not part of my mantra to worry about how much I'm going to spend. It's the fact that I have money that can buy it. And that is the mantra that people have to do. As an adult, you get to that point you start saying, I can't live in this type of house, I can't drive this because cause what I don't have to tax money. I don't what's gonna happen next year? Well, I don't think like that. I beat successful people planning next year. They don't think what's not going to happen next year? If you plan next year, I'm a six month, I'm a year. The average person thinks thirty days, and you cannot be successful thinking in thirty day increments in your life because that means you worry about the rent, You worry about stuff that you actually should be controlling by planning. And that's why I wanted to bring you back on the show because the mentality you've always talked about has it been about planning, correct.
Speaker 2: In abundance. Don't forget abundance.
Speaker 1: And when you look at all these things, tell us a little bit more about your app. And also you hit it along a built the Wealth Builders community. Talk a little bit about that so we can get a good feel and also how can we download that and also any webinars you have coming up as well as I always like to use a middle age she kind of like forgets you sometime.
Speaker 2: Thank you. So our wealth Folders Community app. You can literally go to wealth builders Community dot com. You can see everything that we offer. So literally, just imagine the Netflix of finance and the palm of your hands. So you can go to Netflix. You can find all the different types of entertainment. Imagine literally saying hey, I want to learn how to invest? Where can I go? And it all is in your hands, literally lives in your account. But here's the beauty of it. You're now going through this journey not alone, but you're going through it with thousands of people who are just like you from all over the world. And I think we can't at this point. We can't sit the dinner table and talk about learner how to build well. We can't talk about how your stock portfolio was up. We don't talk about how we're investing for our kids to make sure that they're not taking out seat the loan. We don't have these conversations, specifically in the African American community. But this should be our norm, because that is the norm of wealthy people. They're sitting on their yachts talking about big deals that they're closing, when in all actuality, that's why they continue to sustain their wealth. The conversation is different, the thought process is different, and so ultimately our wealth is community is an intimate space where you can come together with people who are just like you on the same journey, both working professionals and entrepreneurs, where you're learning how to build wealth brick by brick, layer by layer, where you're celebrated for your successes. When you're learning how to open an account, you're processing a transaction, but you're getting advice, tools and resources not only from experts but also people who have been in your shoes. But they are growing every single day because they made well building a choice, they made it a commitment, and that's ultimately what our community is about. So we have classes on a weekly bass. We're literally about to launch our parent Accelerator because a lot of our members are parents. And during the time when it's holiday season Q four, we're spending tons of money. Companies are projected to make billions this holiday season. Why is it that we're making all these billion dollar businesses more money and we look up and we still feel like we have nothing. So we're now literally educating our adults to say, hey, it's great to buy gifts for your family, But what about the gifts of wealth? What about buying your kid that stops in the sneaker company because you know the kids are gonna want sneakerts on holiday season, right, But educating the parents to think all the things your parents need not give you all the tools and resources you wish you would have had. Let me show you how to literally educate your children so that you can build for them. So it's literally like emplified now with this particular accelerator that we're launching in our app is now merging both world. We're merging the connections and the classes that we've done with our youth and then the classes and the connections that we've done with the delts, and we're bringing them together. So the classes, adults will be able to take. Classes will learn how to open different accountable themselves and their children, how to put their kids through college. But also now we're giving a resource on this is how you can also do this with your kids. Not just for your kids, but this is how you can do it with your kids, bring your family. So now we'll have classes where kids can participate, and all of these things will live in the app, and I think it's during the time where we're spending so much. Now, let's literally train our minds to look at opportunities. I know, if everybody's going to be spending their holiday season, I need to own these companies that are making billions of dollars during a holiday season. And it's literally rewiring the thought process of our community. And it's been phenomenal. It's been a few months now. It's in the app store, will Google download and Apple download. You can get access to on your iPad or your computer. But literally, wealth builders dot com wealth builders Community dot Com is where you can see everything that we offer. There's tons of everything that we give, but it all actually while the twenty four to seven, three fifty five, access to classes all the time, all day, every day, discussion loads that we're giving out now, Like there's just tons of things where it's like a secret society of wealth builders where you can't step outside and go to the bank, but you can go here and get the tools and resources in a simple and easy to understand language that doesn't speak to you but threw you a into you.
Speaker 1: Wow, Ashley and Fox, you've given me twenty nine minutes of your time. You are specially thank you. Please give me some banners so I can post it on my social media. You know, I got like a million social media followers and namey two thousands of fanclub members, and I promote you.
Speaker 2: I love what you do.
Speaker 1: I learned and then what you've done for me. It's like a little free sessions. Sessions she's given me. I could now walk away confident. But that's what you do, Ashley, and continue to do it. And I always know that you drop something, you can contact me, contact my staff, or contact me directly because I would do anything for you. You're that special to me. And to hear your tone, to hear the leadership in your voice, the confidence in your voice. I know you found your brand now you're just building it out. That's what excites me so much because of the fact that I've been watching you looking at your sessions and you drop dimes and people liking you what you hear of you, and you get nice views on your videos when you drop those. You have a voice and people want to hear what you have to say, and you're smart. And I just want to wrap up something I saw it earlier. You know you mentioned in your credits you'r how university graduates?
Speaker 3: How have you?
Speaker 1: It's been such a I think a profound moment during this pandemic to see how HBCUs have been so recognized and donations have come in from private sector to HBCUs.
Speaker 2: What what what? What? Why have? Why? What has?
Speaker 1: What did the hpc you do for you? I guess I want to ask and why it's so important that people should know the value of an HBCU and it's educational principles.
Speaker 2: For me personally, Especially at that time, I knew I wanted to be I wanted to go to an HPCU because I wanted to be surrounded by African Americans. But I also wanted to go to the vest HBCU that supported the career trajectory that I was on. So I knew at Howard I wanted to be on Wall Street. I found out how much they paid. During summer internship, Howard taught me how to eat, how to dress, how to do interviews, how to build a resume, how to golf. It was so many things that I knew would equipped me for the industry that I was going in, and I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted to be the center of the love that was felt. And I feel like an HBCU gave that to me. So I was surrounded by individuals with the same mindset, with the same goals, with the same vision for themselves. And I wanted to be around excellence. And I think I knew at that point in my life I wanted to feel supportive, love and nurture and I had the opportunity to do that in a black environment and a precedious environment. I knew it was a no brainer that I needed to go to Howard University. Plus I didn't want to go too too far from home because I'm from Philly, but I also did want to leave Philadelphia and Ivy League just wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to be around the culture of the environment, the love, and the support, but also have that intentionality around grooming a black woman who wanted to enter into a Wall Street space. And I loved everything that how we'd gave it to prepare me for my Wall Street career.
Speaker 1: Awesome a wealth builders community dot com. They bring together working professionals and entrepreneurs looking for the support needed to grow financially. They will help them develop the wealth building mindset, habits and knowledge necessary to excel so that they that you can achieve financial freedom, create generational wealth, and become confident in managing, saving, and investing your money. Thank you Ashley and Fox. I've read that directly off her website. That's her mission statement or the mission statement of wealth Builders Community dot com. Please come back on, Please come.
Speaker 2: Back on my absolutely.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear more money Making Conversation interviews, please go to money Making Conversation dot com. Unrashan McDonald, I'm your host.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us for this edition of money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts