Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. I'm awkward to stuff'll never tell you protection of iHeartRadio. And today is May second, twenty twenty four. I'm just gonna put that in there because this conversation we're talking about today is changing ongoing. Also, you can see our book for more information about this, because we're kind of talking about sexualized costumes, costumes iman kind of uniforms for women in sports, and we have a section on that in our book. We've also talked about it before in I think mostly update episodes where we've talked about sports, and you can see our Olympics episode that we did. But yeah, this comes up depressingly often, and here we are again. Here we are again. So yes, we are a little bit late to the game. But back in mid April twenty twenty four, Nike revealed a series of outfits uniforms for athletes competing in the Olympics in twenty twenty four in Paris. One particular uniform caught quite a lot of attention. It was a body suit for Team USA's track and Field women's team specifically. But I will clarify this more later because there's some argument about that based on the image. The body suit appears to be very high cut on the hips and extremely uncomfortable and revealing. It is very high cut. It was a whole thing, especially when the Internet got hold of a side by side, which is how the company announced it. They had a side by side of the men's uniform with the women's. The men's uniform is a tank with some mid length compression shorts, so very different. Nike face all sorts of criticisms for this design. People, many of them athletes are somehow in the realm of athletes, express concern over sexualizing women with this over performance, and many mistook it for a bathing suit. A lot of people were genuinely like, oh, is this for swimming? Is not? Former US track and field athlete Lauren Fleshman posted, professional athletes should be able to compete without dedicating brain space to constant pube vigilance or the mental gymnastics of having every vulnerable piece of your body on display. Women's kits should be in service to performance mentally and physically. If this outfit was truly beneficial to physical performance, men would wear it. This is not an elite athletic kit for track and field. This is a costume born of patriarchal forces that are no longer welcome or needed to get eyes on women's sports. Long jumper Tara Woodhall posted, wait, my houha is going to be out. Two time Paralympian Famita onion Pecu posted this is clearly a joke. I'm someone's mom. I can't be exposing myself in such ways. Where are the shorts? Paralympian track and field athlete Juleen Roberts said this mannequin is standing still in everything, showing imagine mid flight. Woof. Here's a quote from The Daily Beast. There's no way a female runner had any say in that design. I hope USATF is paying for bikini waxes. Another commenter wondered, if the Labia are hanging out on a still mannequin, what do we expect to happen to a moving person? And from the Atlantic quote in response to the women's body suit included in the first look promo, Grayson Murphy, a two time world champion in mount running, said that Gussett is giving me anxiety. It's representing other countries also sounded off on the design. Canadian hurdler and two time olympian at Sage Watson wrote, Yeah, that's a note for me. Dog. An English long jumper, Abigail Abigail Irrazuru shared a photo of the uniforms to her Instagram story with the caption was any female athlete consulted in this team?
Speaker 2: Kit can? I read some of the comments so like, I saw this on Instagram again, we're a little late to the game and now and then, which is what the news organizations had that posted, and people of course commenting and the amount of men being like, what's the problem. Oh yeah, y'all are complaining blah blah blah blah blah. But like some of the comments in hair A Gold. One was talking about the fact that Naire was going to be their sponsor was one and then there was a comment that says one huddle in and a whole lip is going to slide out, oh, which I was like yep. And then this one I thought was funny essentially, was like it looks like Nike is supporting bring out the bush, Let the bush out, And I was like they are doing this is too good. And someone was talking about where does my lapia go? And I was like, at least they brought in. I mean, I feel like after all of the conversations we've had about women's volleyball teams and how they're like this is unnecessary, and again being like why is this, Why is this necessary? Like if it was that beneficial, as they had said, men would be wearing it too, So either men should be wearing this as well, or we should be wearing women should be wearing what the men are wearing. Like it it doesn't mean anything. And then like there was this whole argument within the comments about how people women or those arguing against us do not understand how balls work compared to vaginas and they don't all hang out like balls do. And I'm like, wow, you're super reaching, dude. And it wasn't dude, by the way, man's to us about how vaginas are easily covered.
Speaker 1: Right, which a lot of issues with it.
Speaker 2: Which it can be if it was shorts, if.
Speaker 1: It was shorts. But yeah, again, if you're like running, which is what you're meant to do.
Speaker 2: In this at the hardest speed possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's we've talked about this before. It was is a running joke that women who do like that volleyball or handball have like to have like a specific wedgie pick that they do. They just do, which is the thing that you have to do, and it's on camera and like, and we've also talked about how these sexualized uniforms have kept women girls from competing. Like literally, if that's what I have to wear, I'm not confident of that, right, not doing that. So it's a it's a thing. It's a big deal, and I'm all, I'm kind of flabbergasted by this whole thing just because to me, also just that like different gender and outfits, Like, I know, bodies are different, but you don't have to we don't have to do it like this.
Speaker 2: The bodies are different, but it doesn't mean like one can wear a little piece of lightning between their crotch and then be able to jump, Like I can't imagine the amount of sand. Yeah that's gonna fly up in that if you're doing like a long jump.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure some companies can get a fine for streaming. I mean, I don't know, this is a separate issue, but for if like Pubes did, you can get fined for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, National TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which again that's kind of a separate thing, but they're taking a risk, what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And then can we just talk about the overall sexualization that is oftentimes that if something is captured, if a woman is captured in some kind of position, the way that that's going to live on the internet and media forever because Nike decided, the sponsored outfit decided this is this is the one.
Speaker 1: Of course, And it's also going back to some of those comments, Yes, you don't want to be wasting that like brain space and time on any kind of maintenance, but also that's going to kind of at least for I would say a good amount of people take you out like you're going to be thinking about that, and you don't need to be thinking about that. You are in like the toughest competition of your life, maybe right, and you're worried about like, oh no, what if my body looks weird?
Speaker 2: Right? Women are often talking about this jiggles or this looks sunky, how you can see one of my stretch marks here? Like having that in itself. And don't get me wrong, I know these athletes are like in shape and tone, but like whether they're too muscular there too, Like so many conversations that happen about this that just shouldn't be happening, as well as the fact that can we talk about in a world where they say dress appropriately or if you get attacked, you deserved it, and then this is what they want to feature as professional athletic gear.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, right, it's like, don't be sexual, but also if you want to be in this, you've got to be reliance.
Speaker 2: We need to show it off things of all everything.
Speaker 1: It just reinforces the idea too that men it's they're the athletic ones. When it's nice that you're here, that we can look at you, it's still your looks but not your performance that we're into when so many things, as we mentioned lately, like women are killing it. They have been and they currently are in terms of sports, in terms of what people are watching, in terms of what people are interested in. So this is like an antiquated, ridiculous sexist idea that needs to go that like women are lesser wear the sexual outfit, right, I must say. Nike has responded to these criticisms. One spokesperson said, we showcased some of the new Olympic uniforms at the Nike on Air Experience in Paris, but as we are a few months from the games and working with limited samples in a limited format presentation, not all looks and styles were featured. They asserted that they have over fifty styles and women are not limited to the leotard. They can also wear the men's design if they want. I'm curious about this. I would love if someone could write in because I can't. That just confuses me. Then, I mean, if you want to wear that, and we're going to get into that in a second, that's totally fine. But that was the one you showcase. I guess I.
Speaker 2: Look what we did, right, variation? How little you want to cover?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh, speaking of this is sort of funny to me in a dark way. They also pointed out that they raised the neckline of the leotard because they respect women's comfort.
Speaker 2: Remember looking at that, going this doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want points for that, right?
Speaker 2: I also think that same way about like skater skating outfits, Like when figure skaters come about with like the fact that the uniform is a bathing suit but with sleeves that I'm like, I don't understand if that's comfortable, and that maybe there's some reasons for that, I don't quite get. I get like not having dresses and trains and things like it's get stuck on you. Absolute get that, but to the point that I'm like, I've always been like, it always is such an oxymoron that I every time I look at it just fills off when I see sleeves and no no bottoms.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, and to that end. So one of the big complaints that we've been talking about, and that was huge online, was people were saying, did you ask anybody any woman who's going to be wearing this? Apparently USA Track and Field claims that some athletes were consulted, and since all of the online backlash, some have reported that they do like the design. The mannequin just didn't do it justice. This is also on the heels of another outfit controversy courtesy of Nike, with the newly designed MLB outfits that sort of became a meme because they're see through and their bad quality and care to the point that they are from what I understand, they are going to redo them. It was I mean, I felt bad, but I was laughing at pictures of it, like, oh yeah, that's see true.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're just you would think with multimillion dollar deals in contracts they would get good quality things. I don't understand. Is this how they're like, oh, but this is because of inflation, we have to do less when we know that this has all been a lie to begin with. Like, yes, that was a little bit of problem during COVID, but it has been fixed since then with a shortage, and you're just trying to make more money. So are you trying to like cut through some things so you can make more money for the for the CEOs, Like I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I definitely think so. I definitely think so, but I could be wrong, and let me know. I will say in fairness, some have changed their mind after seeing this bodysuit in person, including Davis Woodhall that we quoted earlier quote it was the picture that did no justice. I saw one today. They're beautiful. They're not like the picture. The cut looks a bit different on that mannequin. They just should have had a second look with someone to choose that photo to post. I mean, it's the photo is bad. It looks bad. And then I wanted to end on this. So here's a quote from Gold medalist poll Walter Katie Moon, who is sponsored by Nike. I have to say, but she said that while she believes the outfit is troubling. Quote, even if it's with the best of intentions, you're ultimately attacking our decision as women to wear it. The point is we do have the choice of what to wear and whether we feel the best in a potato sack or a bathing suit during competition. We should support the autonomy. Should I agree with I guess I'm just really curious about how much freedom of choice there actually is.
Speaker 2: Right after all the conversations that we've seen and negotiations and women being told they can't compete unless they follow these things, including about hair and different types of things like that, there hasn't been much choice, and there hasn't been much conversations. So perhaps there is now, which is great and choosing is great. But again, also it comes to the fact like why did you choose? Did you did you know this was going to controversy so people would talk about it? And you did this on purpose? Who chose this? Minnegan to stretch it up and give it the worst wedgie in its life? Like who did this? Like there's so many thought processes, like, after everything that you've gone through as an organization that has seen sexism within this type of field, why would you not have a deeper conversation like that looks like the first thing you see is that's going to show everything everything. Yeah, and then if you're walking in that, that's going to be up everything. So who did this? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who did this? Who did this? Because either it is the most like up too because again the last Olympics in twenty twenty one, because COVID, they had the huge backlash with the handball the handball team women's handball team protesting, so it's like been a conversation and they got the rules, they helped get the rules changed. So either you were in doing this incredibly obtuse and like just not tuned in at all. Oh yeah, you knew it would cause controversy. I don't know, but they I mean when I was researching this, like every article ended with kind of a flustered comment, like they reached out to Nike for comment and a flustered reply like we weren't done yet. So I don't know. Again, listeners, if you have any more information about this, I just if there's fifty options that's great, but I feel like there's still got to be some pressure where you're all wearing the same thing or something like there's some because I usually when I watched the Olympics, they're all wearing the same thing, right, So either this is new or there is some kind of unspoken to us as viewer, ur as an outsider, you're gonna wear this, yeah, And I would like to know.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting to see alphas like this when major sports events can happen in places like a tar where wearing something like this will get you arrested.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And like it's Paris is obviously a little different, but like you you think, like with an international issue like that, and again I know it's only for the US team, but it's just like there's so many indications and implications when it comes to uniforms, and we already know it's already like, uh right, an issue, but then you start considering like the international aspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to hammer the point home again, I think that they chose the side by side of what they say was fifty options, and it's this one, the male one that looks very functional and for women, it's like a swimsuit is gonna show off everything. I think that's also part of it. So yeah, listeners, let us know. If you have any more information or have any thoughts about this. You can email us a Stephani mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok as Stuff I've Never Told You. We also are on YouTube. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books where we do talk about this stuff. Thanks as always too, our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and your contributor Joey.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you for listening. Stuff I'll Never Told You is protection of iHeartRadio more podcast from my Heart Radio. You can check out their heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or where you listen to your favorite shows.