Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your ha, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep winning. I am going to be talking about how to be a successful business owner. Well guess what I have failed. I have done so many mistakes and I'm gonna share some of those mistakes. Let's get started here. I'm gonna ask some questions about it.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: Has anybody ever thought about you can raise your hand, you can raise your and your car driving you know, just raise your eyebrow. Thought about starting a business? Why didn't you do it? Have you ever thought about hiring people for your business and you've hired the wrong people? Have you ever thought about hiring relatives and guess what, you hired those relatives. Have you ever hired people that you were getting a good deal on them? Oh they got Oh they cheap. Oh that salary fits right into my budget. But they don't have the experience. Am I? Am I tapping into the right lanes with some of y'all out there? Or how about starting your business and you don't even have a budget. It's just a good idea? Am I tapping into anybody out there? Yet? Okay? How about this? How about this? You start a business with somebody you don't know? How about that? How about how about this? You start a business? You know, I'm from Texas. So they say you can start a business with a handshake that's will be contractual. I've done that before. Yeah, you don't make how to be a successful business owner? As a bold statement for me to say marketing and branding. Have a company called thirty and fifteen Media, Inc. Based in Atlanta, Georgia. I started it as an idea and I just started hiring people. Were they the best qualified people? No? In hindsight, No, But I knew them. I knew them, they knew me. We had long term relationships, they could do certain things, and I hired them. That's the number one problem with most people who fail in this business is they hire people just because they're close to them. They hire people because they make them feel comfortable. You hire people because they're just right there and they're available to be hired. That's the number one and the number two mistake. Do you have time for your business? Wow? You know I would tell people this. I get up at four thirty money to do fraudt that's one time forour thirty am I get up and people always going whoa woo four thirty when you're doing it front thirty. I was fortunate to give a speech uh I was at It was an area in Atlanta called Lithonias, right outside of Atlanta Georgia Chamber of Commerce, and I was speaking to them. That's one of the reasons they brought me over. It was to speak about how to be a successful business owner. And when you're speaking to tp people about being a successful business owner, one thing you have to admit that is that you made mistakes. I opened a comedy club in Houston, Texas called Hip Hop Comedy Style. I got in business with a person I didn't even know that's what He was a stand up comic too, so he liked telling jokes. I liked telling jokes. Yeah, I guess he'd make a good business part. So that's how we got in. That's like you, that's like you like to eat chicken, and you know somebody who makes good chickens. So y'all just gonna go into chicken business. Same same thing, same thing. I didn't know his likes, his dislikes. I didn't know his work happens. I didn't know if he like getting up early but he likes staying late. Didn't even have an idea of how to run a business. That's how I got in business. But the other side of that is that it became a very popular comedy club. Lines out the door. I just do a show on Thursday. Tickets are gonna sell on Monday. They were sold out in the hour. That's how popular. Was a room seats like three hundred and fifty people, A line out the door on Thursday show showtime, I hit stage at eight nine o'clock. People wouldn't go in the room until it was nine eight thirty. Was an empty They didn't want to see the other comics I walk in nine o'clock, room packed, eight thirty to eight fifty five, room was empty, nine o'clock packed. We were making money. But what just what what happens when you start making money? I forgot? You pay taxes, You pay taxes on tickets, you pay taxis on liquor. So so those little things. So all that money that you're making, somebody else want a piece of it. So you can't look at ten dollars as a real ten dollars. But because I didn't have a budget, because I didn't take time to understand how to run a business, I was just doing all the wrong things. So I'm sure a lot of you guys out there, ladies, I think, because women are the fastest growing entrepreneurial part in this company, especially black women, y'all just running things now, way opening up business. I'm sure you opening up business a lot more than me, better than me. So I was making money, but couldn't understand how selling out. But I can't pay myself, so I was just working for free because I didn't have Because what you can't do, I'm telling you something about this, the biggest mistake in a business. You can't open a business and then try to sell the budget because now you're playing catch up because you can't justify because you didn't have a budget at the beginning. You to have known why you have all these people hanging around you getting checks for you or wanting to get checks for you, then you understand why you fail. So when you're making money as a business owner, you can't be successful because of the reason that if you try to be successful, because you never had a plan. That's the numb more reason we fail. And the other num more reason we fail is do you have time for your business. I can't tell you how many people get mad because the store after a while they open their business. It opens a ten but they getting there at the same time the customer should get there. They getting mad because the customers got their own time, not knowing they got a restaurant here, They got to pre set up everything the customers. Yea be in a restaurant. You've been in a restaurants where oh, we don't have that on the menu today. Doesn't that make you mad? Oh we ran out? How you gonna run out of something that's on your menu? Didn you plan to make this? Then you plan this, make this a part of your regular. I've been. I've been in restaurants where they have actually used a marker to strike through things that they don't do in their menu. No more. Now I'm supposed to come back for that. Here it is a little note now about business. It's called consistency. I always tell people a little I'm just using Target as an example. If Target, if you drove by Target at night and they sign wasn't on, you think they'd be closed. So if like on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Target sign was on, but Thursday, Friday and Saturday was off, you think they'd be out of business, or you stop trusting them so you won't go there or put them on the list, and you actually started spreading rumors, negative rumors about Target or business like Target. And that's what happens if we're inconsistent. So if you if you open opening the business and you're saying you doing things, you gotta be there to do it, and everybody sees the profit line, you know, they buy franchise. You know they want to our franchise like Chick fil A or Jagging Bars or McDonald's or they heard or Bojangles. That's a that's a real hot franchise right now that people are buying, it still requires work. And so what these franchises try to do they try to train you. So you're gonna pay a fee, but they just don't let you just run out there. They're gonna find out if you have time too to run their franchise because they're applying the same business principles that I am doing in this conversation I'm having with you right now, the conversation of being able to sit down and apply to you and make sense plan of how you can be successful. So when you buy a franchise, what they do is they bring you in, they sit you down, and they have you work with somebody who has your best interests. Listen to me, now, your best interest because what they don't want to do is put a franchise out there and it clothes because it makes them look bad. So now if you don't have time, but you heard, did these franchises make a lot of money? Then they gonna have a problem with you. Then you're gonna get mad at them because they telling you why you're not there to open up their business on time. And guess what they gonna do after a while, They'll come take their license. Then what you're trying to do now, you're trying to suit you. Now you huddle up with your friends and family, all you in the corners just cussing and fussing like they've done you wrong. But you're the one didn't live up to the standards. They have, copyright, they have, they have. You just can't let anybody in the kitchen. If you making donuts, you just can't let it. You just can't shoot a video back there for TikTok making donuts back there, making cakes back there. You mad because that's their recipes. Everybody can't see this because you don't know the rules. You want to try to make your own rules. That's why you won't be successful. I'm gonna tell you why I was not successful at my comedy club, even though lines at the door. You can look it up. Hip Hop Comedy Stop nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety four, Houston, Texas one of the most popular comedy clubs in the country. Everybody came through the Joe tur Subject, they detainer some more, all all the big stars came through there, Steve Harvey, everybody came to that.
Speaker 3: Club, made no money, made no money, broke even because I didn't have a budget because I didn't know what I was doing. I was in business with a person I didn't know, and he had a full time job. So guess what he kept saying, Hey, man, you got it, you got it, you got it. Well, guess what I got tired of being the person who got it. Then I had family WHOA. When we come back, we're gonna talk about hiring family. Who hire family, So that's a big a mistake you can make. Hire family now, especially when the mama, when the mama told you to hire him. This with Sean McDonald Marking and Brandy Expert telling you how to be a successful business owner.
Speaker 1: We've already covered have time for your business. Now we're gonna do you how relatives because you love them. We'll be right back with boy Money Making Conversation mass Class. Don't go the where y'all I just got started.
Speaker 2: WHA, Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow Money making conversations masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is Rashan McDonald. I'm telling everybody this is my opinion. It's not the opinion of the station. You're listening to this. Rashan McDonald just just pouring his soul out on the show today a little bit. I'm gonna start doing this more off. I like this. I though I'm have great guests, but I think you guys need to hear. How did I become the person I had? I became, ill become and I will continue to become. How to be a successful business owned business owner is the topic? Mars. How you doing? My friend Morris is on the line. Talk to me, marris's ' Sean mcgon's speaking. How you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm doing well? How are you what you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: Mars?
Speaker 4: Good? So I wanted to find out if you have any recommended sources where we could learn how to properly budget for a business. I know, of course you can google and things like that, but are there any resources that you specifically recommend to help us properly establish a budget for our business?
Speaker 1: Absolutely called Small Business Administration. They're in every major city and please go to them. Because when I opened my comedy club, I went there and when I went there, and I'm just using a club for an example. If they tell you, if you can tell them your club is three thousand square feet, they'll tell you how many table chairs you need. They'll tell you how many classes you need. They'll tell you everything because they have books. And then they have another part called Score, and Score is made up of retired executives, people who are entrepreneurs, people who have been in the business successful, and they can mentor you. They can mentor you so you can ask these honest questions. It's called Score, and it's called small business administration. And believe me, I tell people about this all the time. Do not step out there dreaming without a plan, Because you dreaming of the planet, they gonna come and slap you in the face and wake you up and it will be a nightmare when you wake up. I walk up into a nightmare. I kid you, not, Morris. I was making money and I never saw none of it because I didn't have a budget. I didn't understand who I was in business with. And guess what. In the end, I hired my relatives and guess what they had full time jobs, so they will not commit it to my dream because they had to get back to work the next day. So Small Business Administration SBA, and it's called score like you score a touchdown those two organizations. You can get it through Small Businessmen SBA right here and George you is also in Texas, is also in New York. Is also any major state, any major city has it. I would advise you to call them and guess what. It's free.
Speaker 4: Oh excellent, that's even better.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck, my friend. Thank you for calling the money make compans in medical health. Hope you got something out of the call. Thank you, my friend, Angela.
Speaker 4: How you doing, I'm good?
Speaker 5: Thanks taking my call.
Speaker 1: What question can I answer for you? Angela?
Speaker 5: I would love I appreciate you sharing your your failures because I think that helped sets the stage for me going into acquiring a business man. So yeah, please just continue to share some of the lessons learned because.
Speaker 4: I'm learning a lot. Don't hire your family.
Speaker 5: Plan your work and working.
Speaker 1: Well'n teach them them. It's hi you. I hire your family, though, because I don't want to give all family members of bad reputation. Now, do not hire your family as if your Mama told you to hire. Okay, Okay, don't hire them that way. Don't hire your family out of love. Okay, those two things. Now, if your family's qualified, they've done the work, they will put in the work they're hired. You treat them like. Here's the thing I would tell people. If you hire a family member, they should have the same qualifications and put out the same effort of somebody you would not know that you wanted to hire for the same position. But if you're bringing them in and you loan the qualifications, you will lawn the work ethic. You will lower the responsibility for that same job. So now you've lowered the standard for that job three times. So why do you expect that person to be effective when you need them to work forty hours a week?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna roll here. I gotta tell you something else. If you hire somebody, then they start changing the rules on how they work. You know what I'm saying. You see, I'm very clear and when I hire people, and you should be very clear, because you sent up. You send a letter to them outlining the job description, you both agreed on the salary. After a couple of weeks they started they start coming in making an excuse, you like, well, you know, I gotta pick up the kids. Okay, you tell me about that when.
Speaker 5: I hired you.
Speaker 4: Okay, you tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Or I gotta leave work early because of traffic. You tell me about that when I hired you, though, So so what happens is you have to be able to see certain questions you can't ask when you hire people. But if somebody ubers to the interview, I wouldn't hire.
Speaker 5: Okay, you lay the foundation straight from the beginning.
Speaker 1: But of course you know there's certain questions you cannot ask when you ask, but you have to have common sense and a whole approach. If you should ask somebody where they live. You know, my my company up in Alpharetta. Now anybody down there by the airport, I have to question whether or not they can come to my job on the regular basis. I just have to question that because I know there's heavy traffic in the morning and the afternoon, and my job is eight to five. So I don't care how much they say they want the job. I have to do common sense realize I may be compromising my business because guess what happens, They're gonna come in and start changing the rules with traffic, uh, family issues, uh, you know, and then then they're gonna say something to you. They're really gonna make you mad. You know, your job kind of far but you know all that. But you knew all that when you hire that person, because guess what they told you where they lived, but you ignored it, younor, So Angela, thank you for calling. These are some of the little things. And I'm not finished. So keep your keep your radio on because I got more to talk about. Keep your podcast on all that, guess I will. Now here's the problem that a lot of people have when they open the business. This I'm talking to business owner's talking to the entrepreneurs. Listen to me. Parking. I don't know why people think they can just open up, open up a business and not worry about parking. I had a comedy club, y'all. See I see see that comedy club taught me a lot, y'all. I had no parking. All my parking was on the streets out there on the streets. Three hundred people cars parked out there on the street, up and down the streets all up. Boy. I was popular, though, But guess what happens when you just parking any kind of way, any kind of way, any kind of place. Bad things start happening. Bad people start showing up, busting in car windows, so people would leave my comedy shows, come back in over shun my car being broken into so what So then my insurance got to cover that. So suddenly my insurance starts going up because I got a business, beautiful building, fantastic no parking though if I ignored the no parking issue, because guess what, I fell in love with the building. So I had to hire people to walk up and down the streets to stop people from busting into cars. Now you see why I wasn't making no money When you make all these ignorant decisions, no budget and business somebody didn't know by the it's in the building for two years with no parking.
Speaker 4: Rule.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna close this out about this person you should never ever hire. Do not hire inexperience employees because they are cheaper. I'm I'm just let that soak in a minute. Do not hire inexperience employees because they are cheaper. One they have no leadership abilities. Two they need constant supervision. Three they do not understand the position and the company and will not help you win. W I in capital letters long term, and I'm gonna put a little quote around here. I said something by relatives, do not hire friends. I've done that. It has burnt me. When it came time to make a decision. They reminded me that I did them wrong. They reminded me that they were the victim. They reminded me that I didn't know what I was doing. And you're exactly right because I was running a business based on friendship, no budget, family and a partner I didn't know. You cannot win like that. Ladies and gentlemen, as you listen to me talk about marketing and branding and how to be a successful business owner. The bottom line, it's on you look in the mirror and make a decision that benefits you, your family, and your future. This is another episode of Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I want to thank y'all. I always thank y'all every week for listening, and I just want to share the moments with you today. I'm gonna do this once a month, share some of my personal stories, my personal background as to why I can talk like this, Because I've made mistakes and you've heard the people who called in. I answered the question because I know where to go now and I will be able to help you as long as you listen to me every time I open my mouth and bring your guests on this show because it's for your personal benefit and it's free. I'm ra Sean mcdonalk. We talked to him.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with through Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your guests
Speaker 3: Than