Speaker 1: This podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Steve cal Clay, Randall, Chili, Ryan Thompson, and marco'gill. Ryan and Marco, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you're doing here.
Speaker 2: This is Ryan RTI. I'm the tour manager for the Meat Eater Live Tour that we're currently currently rolling through.
Speaker 1: That's right, this episode is live to you from the Meat Eater Live Tour. We're currently sitting in the Wilmath Theater in Missoula, Montana, waiting to take the stage for our seventh of ten shows. Marco, how'd you get wrapped up in this deal?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I normally tour with bands. Here, I'm a promoter rep for AG just helping out Ryan here, making sure the shows go smooth.
Speaker 1: Steve observation the other night that we're now more banned than we are anything on this tour at this point.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't remember making that.
Speaker 1: You told somebody you're like, we're now more. It was at the Anaheim show where Steve's buddy joined us and he said we're now mostly banned around here.
Speaker 3: You must be think of someone else. I mean, I feel like I feel like me and Phil are a band.
Speaker 5: It's like Merle Haggart, And you know Merle Haggart's harmonica player.
Speaker 3: That Marco's middle name is Elvis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told you, I know Marco Elvis.
Speaker 6: Marco was born in the Bronx. Well, I know he's gonna get beat bad right now.
Speaker 3: Man, it's gonna be pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Marco, How do you feel about your chances at need Eater Trivia?
Speaker 3: Not good?
Speaker 6: But I'm happy to be here. But just think about think about his uh, think about how his how self confident he is. Just to walk in the room, you're just gonna get spank.
Speaker 3: Smile on his face, and ignorance is less smile on his face. He does.
Speaker 1: Marco joined the band about halfway through the tour. What do you call that fancy instrument? It's a little cahone, It's a little box drum. Steve was very impressed yesterday by the music you had coming out of that thing.
Speaker 6: You know, he's got a little box you sit on. It looks like an apple crate, and dude, it's like a whole drum set. Yeah, if I was the drum industry, I'd be intimidated by that box, because why buy drums when you can get that little box made?
Speaker 3: A box?
Speaker 4: Man, it's called what it's called a cahone c A j O N comes from Flamenco music. That's where it originated from. Just used two company dance performances. You can throw him a bone. You wouldn't even know where to start.
Speaker 1: I thought about it, but then I didn't. I had something music related, pulled it out of the game. Artie. How you think you're gonna do it? Trivia? Today?
Speaker 3: He'll do good? Hi, fair to middle? Okay, No, he's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: All right, good. Well. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing Clay. How are you holding up on the tour so far?
Speaker 3: Man, it's a lot of fun. It's taxing.
Speaker 5: I just feel like this is my new life. Like it's just like I don't know, it's just like I'll sleep on a bus, I talk to my family on a on a phone.
Speaker 3: I play music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Phil observed this morning that he's he's at about sixty two. Oh really, m yeah, could.
Speaker 5: You put a number on it, Clay Man, I'm I'm running like eighty three.
Speaker 1: Oh that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Feel pretty good?
Speaker 1: Good for you, Clay. Now, on the tour, we've been pulling our audience each night and using that data as part of a live game show. So nearly fifteen hundred people have taken our survey. Here are five things we've learned so far. When it comes to believing in Bigfoot, Boise was the most likely to believe in Bigfoot, with thirty six percent of audience members saying they think he's real. Sacramento was the least likely to believe in Bigfoot at twenty nine percent, and in between them was San Diego at thirty four percent.
Speaker 6: You recognize that's people being cute. Explain that's they're just being cute. They're out at night, they're having fun, they're putting down cute answers.
Speaker 1: If you know that, though, then why don't you answer more accurately?
Speaker 6: Because I don't know how cute they're like. It's hard to anticipate how cute they are being. Okay, but you know they're being some level. Yeah, they don't act like that. Percentage of people doesn't actually believe that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you it's an anonymous survey they're taking. I don't know who's answering what. It just goes into a big pot. But Steve is convinced they're trying to manipulate the results.
Speaker 3: Now that's part of the game. They're just being cute.
Speaker 7: Definitely part of the game. But what Steve's saying is if you were to put a gun to those people's heads and.
Speaker 8: Say I was I was envisioning just that scenario.
Speaker 1: Is that a new game we play?
Speaker 6: Because yeah, okay, I got a game. Yeah, do a survey like then put a gun to their head and do it again.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to wanting grizzly a survey with a gun, when it comes to know who you're voting for, When it comes to wanting grizzly bears in their home state, San Diego and Salt Lake had very different responses. Forty nine percent of Salt Lake outdoorsmen said they wish grizzlies were in Utah, compared to seventy three percent of San Diego outdoorsmen saying they wish grizzlies were in California.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot tougher crowd in San Diego in what way, because they can they can hack it. They can hack a little riff. Probably just got a lot of military there, so they like, we had tons of veterans and tons of military in San Diego and they're not scared of bears. Well, and then you get Salt Lake City and they're scared.
Speaker 2: I thought it was because the bears would even if they were in California, they'd go nowhere near San Diego, so they felt comfortable saying that they could come in.
Speaker 5: But I think it has to do with the California have an affinity for grizzlies because of it's like they're you know, on their flag and.
Speaker 3: It's state animals, State animals. I'll tell you another thing.
Speaker 6: We had a ton of spear fishermen in San Diego, so they're already used to the dealing with the mental stress of great whites. Okay, tons of spearfish mets show they're used to the mental stress of dealing with great whites, and they're like, Okay, a bear big deal.
Speaker 1: I'm with Artia.
Speaker 5: I think I think it could also be that people in very urban places really don't have to deal with the consequences of it.
Speaker 7: And people in very urban places may be thinking of something else. When you say bears in the state, have.
Speaker 6: You been, They're like, yeah, man, I don't know if I need to already have to do a lot of pop bears.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I need a grisly bear throwing.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to largemouth bass, we learned that about half of the anglers in Mesa and Sacramento do have eaten one fifty five percent in sacrament in the Sacramento audience have eaten a large mouth, and fifty eight percent of Mesa anglers have eaten a large mouth? Is that what you about expected?
Speaker 3: I didn't have any context for that question.
Speaker 5: Okay, what if we I was like saying, how many people in here have eaten a hamburger?
Speaker 1: Then I'd be like, well, it'd be one hundred percent. I think, yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but I knew that the question. I knew it was like, oh, wait a minute, people don't eat large couf bas.
Speaker 5: There must be something here. This is not a gimme, So I didn't have a lot of context for clay. When was the last time you ate a large mouth bass? I mean we most of the fish that I'm catching and eating in Arkansas would be catfish and crappie stuff that people give me. It's been a while since I've eaten bass. So no one brings you a bass play now, you.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't think it's weird though if they did either, not at all. Okay, not taboo your neck of the woods.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to America's most popular big game animal, we learned that twenty four percent of folks at the Anaheim Show have killed a white tail, which is about twice as many as I expected. Were you guys surprised by that number? Twenty four percent of them killed the white tail?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You thought that was uh? That was on red on brand.
Speaker 3: I think I had a higher number.
Speaker 1: Okay, what if we asked that question in Arkansas.
Speaker 3: Oh of sportsman, may it would one hundred percent percent of them?
Speaker 6: Noaa, the nineties, it's not gonna be one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Well, but but just like the people that took the survey, if you had a room full of people that bought tickets to meet you're live. I mean, you know what means right, well, but I mean, I'm just saying it'd be ninety eight what.
Speaker 3: You said to his head? And there he comes, comes over.
Speaker 1: And finally, the last notable thing we learned is that Clay Newkeomb knows his fellow Hunters and Anglers best. Of these six survey game shows, so far, he's won three of them. Clay, what do you think makes you so good at the show. You're just a man of the people.
Speaker 5: Well, Steve, Steve is unwilling to play the game, okay, Like he like, I know that people are trying to be cute, and I'm I have an underground social scientist in a way. Okay, so I'm like reading the room. I have him bring the lights up so I can look in people's eyes. Sure, and I listened to that Aussie wind podcast and the Magician.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I kind of know what's up a mentalist. Yeah, Clay Clayton not only wins, but he dominates too. Well, it's just well people, Clay. Now, the Shelby Index for today's show is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with them we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stay under wind everything? How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 3: Demon suckers?
Speaker 1: How's does Shelby index holding up these days? Pretty accurate? Yeah, we'll look at it again, but it was just a few months ago we visited and it was pretty dang close. Question one, this will be multiple choice, and the topic is fishing. Which of these lures has caught the most world record fish? Is it spoons, crank baits, poppers or jigs? Which of these lures has caught the most world record fish? Spoons, crank baits, poppers, we're jigs, Dude, I might go on a limb here. Okay, Marco, do you fish at all? They shaking his head. No, okay, he's gonna put down that drum he's got. Which of these lures has caught the most world record fish? Huh? Spoons, crank baits, poppers, jigs.
Speaker 2: Now, Randal, I gotta hold my board up here like this to block so I can't well, I can see you're.
Speaker 1: Looking giant mirror. No, I just don't want to look at yours.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: It's very honest that I'm putting down what I put down. Okay, and he's going out on a limb. He declared, Is everybody ready? Randall, yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying poppers. Just sure, go ahead?
Speaker 3: What he got because I think all the salt water stuff, dude.
Speaker 1: Marco saying jigs. Rte saying spoons, Randall saying spoon, Chili saying jigs, Cal saying spoons, Clay saying spoons. The correct answer it's jigs, Marco. According to the i g f A Record books, jigs have caught over one thousand world records. It's nearly five times as many. A second place, which are spoons. After that, it's plastic worms, crank baits, spinners, swim baits, and poppers.
Speaker 3: Well, Marco's got a perfect game.
Speaker 1: Wow, Mark, I wasn't thinking about the sheer.
Speaker 3: How can you have a I'll explain a thousand records? Like how many records are there?
Speaker 1: Brown bottle heads a lot of fresh water. They track every fish in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should have put that down.
Speaker 1: Question two, white yellow perch, the surf perch. Go ahead, how long can you go? You think? Questions? The topic is gear headquartered in Vermont. This legendary company, and he says, quote, at our core, we are a fly fishing and wing shooting brand. The topic is gear. Headquartered in Vermont, this legendary company says, quote at our core, we are a fly fishing and wing shooting brand.
Speaker 3: Marco was who made that drum? You got what brand? Yeah, tycoon, it might be it? Did? Uh?
Speaker 1: Did you come up with an answer? Count? You got this one right? Randall, you got this one right?
Speaker 6: I got it right, I got it right. I would have had that last one right too if I had to start taking the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: How about you, RTI, you got this one right?
Speaker 3: I do all right.
Speaker 1: About half the room is quite confident. Headquartered in Vermont, this legendary company says, at our core, we are a fly fishing and wing shooting brand. Legendary like like like you said, this legendary animal. That's just my little superlative.
Speaker 7: Is it wrong to think that you can cover more water with a spoon.
Speaker 3: Than you can a jig?
Speaker 1: Don't you think whether you vertical the same amount of water you could horizontally.
Speaker 6: It's all the dinky fish, dude, It all came out.
Speaker 3: See I was going my.
Speaker 1: Steve Galaxy brain. Yeah, and Spencer's going like I don't know just everything crappy wine class. Does everybody have an answer for the company that says at our core, we are a fly fishing and wing shooting brand. Clay, you got an answer? Answer, Go ahead and reveal your answers with Steve saying, Orvis, Marco saying, Ben and Jerry, RT and Randall and Chili and Cal saying Orvis, Clay says Pilson. The correct answer is Orvis. The room did very well. Charles Orbis founded the company nearly one hundred and seventy years ago in Manchester, Vermont. Although the brand is best known for their fly fishing gear, they also sell shotguns, knives, dog beds, and more. Orbis has been privately owned since nineteen sixty five, and today they employ over fifteen hundred people. Question three, the topic excellent conservation record too, Oh all right?
Speaker 7: Do everything from stream bank restoration and advocacy, work with a bunch of Roughgrouse Society pheasants forever. They do do a lot.
Speaker 1: It's why they're a legendary company, Steve. Question three, the topic is conservation. Dictionary dot Com defines this nine letter word as quote a person who hunts for food or for profit without regard to the rules of sport. This is question three. Dictionary dot Com defines this nine letter word word as a person who hunts for food or for profit without regard to the rules of sport. Randall, you got this one.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, I'm what I'm thinking. Read it again, Read it again, because I'm by getting the right letter count.
Speaker 1: Dictionary dot Com defines this nine letter word as a person who hunts for food or for profit without regard to the rules of sport. Nobody appears to be confident. I don't uh well, I won't hold that again. Stee. If you got the right answer, you could be a letter or too off. Clay, That's that's just fine.
Speaker 3: I'm a terrible speller.
Speaker 1: Okay, nine letter word we're looking for. It's everybody doing little Hangman matches on their board. Okay, h rand.
Speaker 3: I've got one coming into eight. I've got nine letter.
Speaker 1: Okay, Randall may be the only one who gets this right.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite sure this is how I would define it, but.
Speaker 1: Well, this is our dictionary dot Com defines that's right. The The definition is a person who hunts for food or for profit without regard to the rules of sport. It's a nine letter word and the topic is consert.
Speaker 3: Trying to think of one of my friends has got nine letters.
Speaker 1: In their name. This is a stumper, Randall, maybe the only one who has it.
Speaker 3: Are we gonna when we hear it gonna go like.
Speaker 1: Oh shoot, not gonna tell you that, Clay.
Speaker 3: Are we gonna go? I've never heard that word before.
Speaker 1: Not sure if if.
Speaker 3: My answer is correct, everybody's gonna go.
Speaker 8: It's kind of that questioning, oh, dictionary dot com.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if I have the right answer.
Speaker 1: M hm. Did the others give up yet? Nine letters? Steve give nine letter answers?
Speaker 3: Got a seven? I got a eight? Okay, I got a ten. Make it plural. Let's put an ass on the end of it.
Speaker 6: But it's singular, right, A person, that's right, it's a singles.
Speaker 1: This isn't a plural answer. I'm not not trying to tricky.
Speaker 3: Ten letter one is plural. You could just stop pack that s off.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve without an answer, Marco saying, Trophy Man, what t saying? What's that say? Rt says seal Sword Randall saying pot Hunter, Chili saying Robin Hood col sang long Hunter, Clay saying subsistence, subsistence, subsistence. Oh, Randall got it. The correct answer is pod Hunter. No way, pot Hunter. So Clay, what was your reaction when you heard Potts for food? I just said for food or for profit without regard to rules of s.
Speaker 3: I just didn't know there was such definition around. Where'd you go to find that?
Speaker 1: Dictionary dot com?
Speaker 3: Like? Who cares about dictionary dot com?
Speaker 7: How does that change?
Speaker 1: First?
Speaker 3: Nothing one cares about it.
Speaker 6: But it's not even like you're just drawn from be like according to some AI generated bs, I found this blankety blank.
Speaker 1: I have to assign it to somebody so that there.
Speaker 6: Was an authoritative think I think peer review. Go to myriams right now on your little computer. Go to myriams right now, or any like any dictionary that's a dictionary. No, go to the Oxford English Dictionary.
Speaker 1: Oh ed, okay, which one is it? Which Oxford English Dictionary?
Speaker 3: Pot Hunter? Please?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're working on this.
Speaker 5: And it's gonna tell you not a word, No, it'll definition.
Speaker 3: It'll of its earliest usage too.
Speaker 5: It would have helped if you would have said, this is a colloquial term like I was looking for, like I was tinking of, like.
Speaker 3: A more concrete term.
Speaker 1: We gave you the well, I gave you the definition, and Randall got it.
Speaker 3: So Randall.
Speaker 1: Oxford English Dictionary makes me have a subscription, Steve. So we're gonna have to can you will uh? Will Merriam satisfy you? Okay, sure, we'll try that out.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Merriam Webster definds pod hunter as a person who hunts for game, who hunts game for food or profit without following the rules of sport. It's like three words different than dictionary dot COM's.
Speaker 8: Definition and hunter in there too long hunter and it's it's we're going for definition.
Speaker 7: The apostrophe.
Speaker 1: It's Steve. Do we do we respect Merriam Webster or are they they're on the out? Yeah? Yeah, whatever, Okay, all right, it's a we're calling that one a valid question. I think question four the topic is hunting. This potential Donald Trump running mate wrote in her book that she killed a fourteen month old hunting dog for having quote an aggressive personality.
Speaker 3: Straight from the headlines.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's a there's a little hint, Randall, Oh, come on this potential Donald Trump running mate wrote in her book that she killed a fourteen month old hunting dog for having an aggressive personality.
Speaker 1: This is question for Randall, has it? Chili? Seems like he has it. Cal You have it right, Steve, you have it right? Oh yeah, buddy, Okay, Clay, how are we doing over here?
Speaker 3: I got it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 1: What are we snickering about? Cal?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: The justification of like why it's in book is The justification of why it's in the book is is funny?
Speaker 1: Man? Yeah, if I can do this, you know I can?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Is everybody ready by that?
Speaker 7: I don't pass the buck?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Clay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying no, uh, Marco saying Nicki Haley, Dude, Nicki.
Speaker 6: Haley and Trump are way on the outs man, Artie saying.
Speaker 1: Uh Marco Sumphonic, Randall sang Nome, Chili saying no, Cal Sagnome, Clay saying, s d Gov Nome, they got it the correct answer, it's Christy No. This story comes from Nome's new book, which The Guardian obtained a copy of last week, Nome tells of a young wirehaired pointer named Cricket who she took pheasant hunting one fall day. Noam said the dog was quote untrainable, and that it chased up birds before the hunters could get to them. After the hunt, no One was driving home when she stopped to chat with a neighbor. That's when Cricket got out of its kennel and killed the family's chickens. Noom then went home and led the dog to a gravel pit, where she killed it. Since the story broke, The Guardian has reported that Trump's campaign now views it as impossible that she could be his running mate. What, dude, I'm telling you what The Guardian rebuilded. That's not that's ridiculous. They think it makes her unelectable.
Speaker 3: No, it does not.
Speaker 1: That makes me like her even more. She killed the month old hunting dog.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people need to do more of that. There's a lot of dogs out there flushing birds way too far out.
Speaker 1: There's probably some steps in between, I think, and.
Speaker 5: The difference of her taking it to the to the vet and having him put it down.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, dude, you know what this means for Ronnie Bams political prospects.
Speaker 9: If that if that kills your political means is she's not you know, she gave up on training a dog, is one way to look at it, which would be very negative.
Speaker 6: No, because if you'd look into that dog's soul, she said she But there's another piece of information in there that in my mind, does justify it, and it's the fact that the dog tried to bite her when she tried to get it from chasing the chickens.
Speaker 7: And then you you know, it's becomes very tricky. It's like getting rid of a bad mule, right, Like it bucked everybody off. But now I'm going to try to sell it because I can't have it around because it bucks everybody off. But how do you give some a liability to the next person? The same deal with the dog who bites things. Yeah, but I think it's a thing to be like, it's untrainable according to who.
Speaker 1: I think there's resources.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing too, though, like there's a lot of people that enter the political sphere that like the posture about their blue collar agricultural upbringings. That's a real issue right now in politics. There's like the Resale was reading about another politician who talked about growing up on the family farm, right, and be like, no, you didn't. Your parents were academics. They owned a little piece of property where the mom raised like prized show horses.
Speaker 3: You didn't like grow up on a farm. You didn't grow up there.
Speaker 7: Or I made a couple of billion dollars and bought a big ass ranch in Montana, and now I'm a big ass rancher in Montana talking about how a ranch in Montana.
Speaker 6: Sure, and this gal know like legit came from what she says she came from. And this demonstrates even more.
Speaker 1: She had to be killed the family goat that day, they had a goat that she didn't like. He was stinky. I didn't pick fir, but that one she had to deliver two shots too, because the first one didn't kill it.
Speaker 7: When you take a trip to the gravel, you maximize going all the way out there.
Speaker 6: I got no listen. I I think the campaign. I think I think the Trump campaign be foolish.
Speaker 1: Not to pick her up question five. The topic is gonna go cook.
Speaker 3: I just think of she was she at the top of the list. Yeah really, yeah, I didn't. I didn't know The.
Speaker 1: Guardian says it that I don't know.
Speaker 6: No one knows, but I mean it's it's mm hm pundits. Pundits feel that she was at the top of the list, but I mean, you know, there's one person that knows and they haven't said.
Speaker 1: Question five. The topic is cooking. Confee, steak free and tartar sauce are this country's cuisine?
Speaker 3: What' it wrong?
Speaker 1: How would you say it? Confee confie, steak free and tartar sauce are this country's cuisine.
Speaker 3: Marco is gonna bang this one, dude.
Speaker 6: Okay, Mark running Man, we'll get a scoreboard. Haley, they were read each other's throat.
Speaker 3: No way, she's getting the nod. I like her.
Speaker 1: This is ladies five.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, I'm ready for I'm ready for it. What about uh? What about Arkansas's Governor Sarah Huckephy Sanders.
Speaker 1: Does she go to the coon rally that you guys.
Speaker 3: Was not there?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, this is question five? Cone fee, steak free and tartar sauce are this country's cuisine?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, is this being filmed?
Speaker 1: This is being filmed? Would you just make a bad gesture? It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying France, Marco saying France.
Speaker 3: Marco, I forgot to answer unless you're going to write down Frances. He has been hiding that trick up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was too busy forfeit.
Speaker 3: If France is the.
Speaker 1: Answer, what were you going to say? You think, well, I was.
Speaker 3: Thinking about a European country, but.
Speaker 1: Uh, everybody says France. Everybody got it right, except for because.
Speaker 5: I wanted to wait till we I'm pretty much cheated the system the last time.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna say anything to already got the point.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you noticed, but I wrote in and a bunch of scribbles, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Saw that is the South Governor.
Speaker 8: I saw that on your board and I was like, I can't believe that Spencer read that.
Speaker 1: So I honestly can't.
Speaker 3: I can't just put French.
Speaker 7: Answer.
Speaker 3: Did he have no?
Speaker 1: He wrote SD go and then with a little like a snake.
Speaker 3: Are you going to accept that?
Speaker 6: I already on camera did that?
Speaker 3: What did he do? I wrote French?
Speaker 1: I don't think that's wrong.
Speaker 3: French a country of country. You know it's not.
Speaker 6: Because here's the problem, Senegal. The French is their national language.
Speaker 3: Okay, Quebec. When he says French, is it Quebec?
Speaker 1: Randall, were you thinking of Quebec? Did you think you.
Speaker 3: Can't ask someone what they're thinking about? Well, I was thinking of jigs.
Speaker 1: Other popular French dishes are French onion, soup, chocolate soup, fle crapes, and cremb crembrew la. You can get some of these recipes on the meadeater dot com, like Jenny gwyn Wheatley's Duck Free and Wade Trunk's Duck Confie Fail. We are halfway through the game of trivia. I'm going to read us a leader board of date. In last place, we have Clay with one singular point and he had to cheat to get it.
Speaker 3: Even wait a minute, I didn't cheat to.
Speaker 1: Get Christina I had I had another point. Well, okay, you didn't get Orbis, you didn't get Jigs, you didn't get pod Hunter. So you have one point one point. That's a really pain point. Next time, with two points, maybe you could give me the French.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean I did.
Speaker 1: Next up, with two points, we have Marco and r T. Mar Marco is he's got way more points than you. Twice as many.
Speaker 6: To be exact, he knows twice as much as Clay about this this area of inquiry.
Speaker 1: With three points, we have Steve and Cal and in first place with four points are Randall and Chili four points. Chili, have you won before?
Speaker 8: Now I know why Chili tried to stab me in the back by pointing out the French in France.
Speaker 4: No, I've been one actually, uh, to date, I have the most correct answers, like I've only ever.
Speaker 1: Had four right.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm not gonna mess with your perfect game.
Speaker 1: And he declared he gets one more right each game. So it went like two, three, four, and so he said, you told me before Today he's getting five correct answers.
Speaker 3: At a minimum at a minute. Okay, this is fantastic. I'll tell you guys something about Chili, little surpriser. Yeah, you don't need to. We'll go ahead if you feel inclined.
Speaker 6: Question six, Wait a minute, topic, you're not gonna do it. The topic is public Lands, part of the nineteen ninety seven film Dante's Peak was shot on this mountain that the movie is based on.
Speaker 1: This is question six. Topic is public Lands.
Speaker 3: No. The the topic is Cinema, part of.
Speaker 1: The nineteen ninety seven film Dante's Peak was shot on this mountain that the movie is based on Mountain Randall. Do you have a correct answer or you just guessing? Pierce Brosnan, I'm not well, You're you're handing out hints here to the room. I don't think that I'm not confirming or did not be able.
Speaker 3: To get scalded in the creek.
Speaker 1: You're just handing out all sorts of.
Speaker 7: The most badass suburban build ever.
Speaker 8: I just assumed, alright, Well, maybe I'm making too many assumptions.
Speaker 1: Randal has has now provided two hints to the room. Part of the nineteen ninety seven film Dante's Peak was shot on this mountain that the movie is based on, Randall. Do you love that movie? You don't have to keep giving details if you don't want, you could just.
Speaker 8: It's been a real it's been a while. There's a there's another film that was released at the same time.
Speaker 1: He's just gonna keep going on.
Speaker 8: I think it's a weirder movie because I have no idea what I'm the same.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gathering public lands. I'm gathering it's not the mad Horn or something. Well, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't where Sad's at the but leave alone. Part of the nineteen ninety seventh film Dante's Peak was shot on this mountain that the movie is based on. Peers as though Randall is the only one who's coming public. You say this is bucketed under what public?
Speaker 8: Lane, I don't know. I don't know that my answer is correct. I know the film, Artie.
Speaker 1: Are you feeling familiar.
Speaker 3: With this movie?
Speaker 1: I am, okay, but I know what? Do you have the answer? I have an answer, okay.
Speaker 8: I couldn't have told you that the film was filmed at this place, Marco. I have three answers, okay, And it was a film going place, that's the question, that's right.
Speaker 1: Part of the nineteen ninety seven film Dante's Peak was shot on this mountain that the movie is based on.
Speaker 3: Another film based and shot there, Artie.
Speaker 1: Did you watch this movie in high school? What year was it? Nineteen ninety seven? Uh? Yep? Okay?
Speaker 2: And I think I remember the name of the other one as well that ran was referencing.
Speaker 3: But what was that again? Random? That would be too much? Can you read both both mine? You know what I'm talking about? No One, No, one likes that movie.
Speaker 7: I felt like this was a real, real hit in this neck of the woods.
Speaker 1: It's nineteen ninety seven. I was one years old, by the way. Okay, Wow, all right, is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: When I was in high school and brought up a glass and wasn't doing very good, I doodled, So I'm just kind of like working on my nade here.
Speaker 1: Okay, he drew us a spoon before. It was a big hit around that area. Wow, Steve is sussing out all the hints you guys are handing out off the dirt. Okay, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. I can't even tell what you crossed I wrote.
Speaker 3: I crossed out El Cappy Town, which is more like a face than.
Speaker 1: I wrote to Nally. Okay, we have Marco saying Mount Rainier, Artis saying Mount Saint Helen's, Randall saying Mount Saint hell. That makes sense, Chili saying Mount Rainier, Cal sang Lolo, Clay sang Mount Rainey.
Speaker 3: I saw you change your answer Mount Rainey. Let me see how he's got a spell. Well, I was.
Speaker 1: The correct answer. It's Mount Saint Helen's. Because it's all rt and Randall. Was it that they were up there when it blew? Is that what it was? The movie stars Pierce Brosnan, You sgs scientists who's monitoring a dormant volcano in Washington. Rotten Tomatoes ranked it as the forty first best disaster movie of all time, losing out to films such as Sharknado, Sharknado two, Sharknado three, Sharknado five, and Natural Disaster.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, you know, isn't.
Speaker 2: The town that wasn't it Wallace?
Speaker 3: Wallace's Yeah, yeah, isn't it the twenty fifth an? No, it's the something anniversary May eighteen.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Was it eighty three? That nineteen eighties?
Speaker 3: Oh? I know it's May eighteen.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I lost that on a tiebreaker. I think in one of the first games that I played.
Speaker 1: Randall handed out so many hints there. I thought more folks would have.
Speaker 6: Got it, you know, talking about yeah they called woman there the hollow springs and it gets uh oh yeah, and the old they're.
Speaker 1: Not going to Mama gets out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, no, So there's that Yeah I was talking about at the beginning. There's like some skinny dippers, ye go to a hot spring, but it's hotter than.
Speaker 1: It should be, and so they what's the other volcano movie?
Speaker 3: Okay, and they get boiled to death? Yeah, I think they find them there.
Speaker 8: They find these people boiled in the hot spring, and they're like, huh, something is going on with.
Speaker 7: The It's a classic, Like he's the authority and he's reading everything and nobody believes him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's crazy. And he finds a love interest after his last partner died because they were escaping the volcano and magma rock comes through the roof of the pickup and just decapitates her. So that's what previous his previous wife. And then he finds new love in a similar situation.
Speaker 7: You know, he's a real cowboy of the USGS world.
Speaker 8: I really wanted to be a volcano scientistuff for that. You're always around erupting volcanoes.
Speaker 3: Question shook her head right off top of the truck.
Speaker 1: It didn't take her head off, but it like went through her brains something like that. Question seven. The topic is hunting. What does the ten in Ruger ten twenty two represent? This question?
Speaker 3: So this is seven sentence?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean, it depends what you think The answer is what does the ten in Ruger ten twenty two represent? The topic is hunting. This is question seven, Cal you knew the movie, but you didn't know it was Mount Saint Helens.
Speaker 7: I was just thinking like infrastructure, which so Mount Mount Saint Helens and Mount Baker and Mount Rainier were all three of my top choices.
Speaker 1: Oh Randall said he saw you cross across Saint Helen's off right?
Speaker 3: No chili chili hell right answer?
Speaker 7: And he changed it, And then I thought maybe he might just be doing something Montana local classic case of once you overthink these things, you're you're scred.
Speaker 3: Phil.
Speaker 6: It wasn't out like living on that bus and everything I think you'd be doing well. I would have got that right, and part of the movie was filmed there.
Speaker 1: On question seven, what does volcano is that?
Speaker 3: Tommy Lee Jones, I saw all right.
Speaker 1: Phil is a Dante's Peak kind of guy.
Speaker 6: So when his wife gets killed, is it like a back Is it a BackFlash?
Speaker 1: No? I think that's how the movie starts, get killed through the head.
Speaker 7: And establishes his kind of like cowboy, you know, like like the rogue agent. Right, you got too close.
Speaker 3: It's one of those you knew you were.
Speaker 8: The plot is both man versus nature and also man against bureaucracy and.
Speaker 1: Also finding love.
Speaker 3: Was he bummed and his wife got killed?
Speaker 1: I think it like makes him a little disinterested in the whole thing. He like loses little passions JA.
Speaker 3: When his wife gets killed. Yeah, we turn it on for you.
Speaker 1: We got a few hours today to kill.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna watch it. Spencer, would you look up who stars in Volcano? This also in nineteen ninety seven? Release you know real quick? I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: At the very least, we could watch the scene where the wife gets killed. It seems like you've clean you clung. I would like to see that.
Speaker 6: Would Here's the thing I do though, And I think that the world be better place if more people did this.
Speaker 3: I knew, Did I not say, Tommy Lee Jones? You did? God, I'm not gonna do Yeah. And hash I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have gotten a hash that sounds French. I'm trusting Phil Steve.
Speaker 1: What what do you do that more folks need to do? Oh? If someone says like, oh, you should listen to him, you should listen to that musician.
Speaker 3: You should watch the movie.
Speaker 6: You should read that book instead of grant affing him, I'll go To be honest, I'm not gonna do that, you know what i mean, Just like like the stress to everybody, the stress levels go down for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you no longer have that chore on your.
Speaker 6: Just like you know, to be honest with you, I'm never gonna read that book.
Speaker 3: Is everybody everybody walks away. I would prefer not to.
Speaker 1: That's everybody. Have an answer for the ten in Ruger ten twenty two, Yeah, I got it. Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Steve saying magazine capacity, Marco saying millimeter, Artie saying gauge, Randall saying ten round rotary magazine, Chili saying mill cal saying ten rounds, Clay saying ten round magazine. The correct answer is ten rounds of AMMO. The room did very well. The Ruger ten twenty two is a twenty two long rifle rim fire that has that has a patented ten round rotary magazine. The gun made Jordan Siller's list of the six best twenty two long rifles. To find out what the other five are, go read his article on the meadeater dot com.
Speaker 3: I'll throwing a quick plug here.
Speaker 6: If you're a ten twenty two person, you should be checking out the product line at tac Soul.
Speaker 1: What are they doing for the line?
Speaker 6: They make all kinds of like they make these like souped up ten twenty two components. You can actually they make really souped up ten twenty two components, but you can actually assemble pretty much the whole damn gun.
Speaker 3: I'd like super souped up components. They're nice. Man. I'm a big ten twenty two man.
Speaker 5: Like if I could, if I could take two firearms, I mean, aside from it being a twenty two, like you couldn't really use some big game, I'd grab my ten twenty two man, I do feel like I just felt like it's an extension of my body.
Speaker 1: If I remember correctly, in that article of Jordan Sillers, you said that was your favorite twenty two ye to shoot.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: He used to comment that, like the commonality amongst our neighborhood, if you went from house to house to house and found the things that jailed everybody together, it'd be the Big Chill soundtrack and Aruger ten twenty two.
Speaker 1: Question eight. The topic is fishing. If you cross the state fish of Wisconsin with the state fish of North Dakota, you'll get this hybrid. Coming back, coming back, Steve is feeling confident. If you cross the state fish of Wisconsin with the state fish of North Dakota, you'll get this hybrid.
Speaker 3: I'm coming back. How long do I got to come back? Phil?
Speaker 1: This is question eight?
Speaker 3: Okay, you got it, Randall? I think, so who's winning right now?
Speaker 1: We'll get a scoreboard update after this, Phil, When was volcano made? This is a volcano episode.
Speaker 3: Now I do a side bet and get a point.
Speaker 6: If I say that Marco doesn't have it and he does it, Cauld, I get an extra point.
Speaker 1: I think the odds on that, Randall.
Speaker 7: I was actually a geology major at the University of Montana for a short window and was kicking ass and then got to the class that I wanted to take the most, which was Volcanoes and Earthquakes hmm. And I was like, you know, nerding out on all this geology stuff on the high of also doing very well academically. And I got into that class and just every day could not fathom like the professor's job was to make volcanoes and earthquakes the most boring, hated subject on the planet, like I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I never got through it, and you were done after that.
Speaker 7: I was done after it.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the state fish of Wisconsin with the state fish of North Dakota that creates this hybrid.
Speaker 3: I'm on the hot streak.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying tiger musky, Marco saying the cheese could say Rte and Randall say tiger musky, Chili says sturgeon, Cal says tiger musky. Clay says hybrid striper. The correct answer is tiger musk.
Speaker 3: We need a sturgeon. I don't know anything. I just here only playing.
Speaker 1: Once he got his five correct answers, got four.
Speaker 3: You jinxed it by bringing that up, and now I mean one more so.
Speaker 1: Wisconsin made the muskie their state fish in nineteen fifty five and North Dakota made the pike their state fish in nineteen sixty nine. Tiger muskie are rare in nature because they're sterile, and pike ten to spawn earlier than muskie. Tiger muskie are found in about forty states. Phil we have two questions left. We are now going to get a leader board update. In last place are Marco and Clay with two points. We're going to have a race to see which one of you knows more about hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking with two questions. Laco next up with four points, We have Chili and are T four points for Chili and r Tea. Next up with five points are Cal and Steve. They have five and Randall is running away with it. He has seventy. If Randall gets his next question right, it is all.
Speaker 3: The damn think about. If Randall wasn't here.
Speaker 2: Like Neck Neck and Randal's the only one that hasn't been sleeping on a tour.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right, this is.
Speaker 8: A true I'm like Mark Wahlberg in the movie rock Star when he joins the band as the band has already been a band for.
Speaker 1: Phil's the only one who got to that movie Star rand ninety six.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good it's a good one. The band's Steel Dragon. The soundtrack is excellent.
Speaker 1: Question nine, the topic is cooking native to Africa. This is the third most commonly eaten fish in the world. Yeah, the topic is cooking. If Randall gets is right, the game is over. He sealed the victory. The topic is cooking native to Africa. This is the third most commonly eaten fish in the world. I'm now more invested in the race between Marco and Clay. Clay, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: You know this one? No?
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 5: Clay Okay got this one.
Speaker 1: This is what he's got a chance, he says.
Speaker 7: I cannot I know native fish to Africa.
Speaker 3: I don't, huh.
Speaker 7: I can't imagine how it can be the third most consumed fish in the world.
Speaker 1: That's right, third most eaten fish in the world that's measured by weight. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Do you got it? Randall? Yes, I think so.
Speaker 1: Damn it, damn it, dam everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have see you saying tilapia. Oh, Marco, telapia, Rtie.
Speaker 6: Says perch, Randall says tilapia chili without an answer, Cal saying tiger fish, Clay saying TILAPPI.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen.
Speaker 5: Marco and I had coffee this morning and I gave him like I wish somebody had been recording it. It was like a compelling feel on the North American model, and Honey, I think it like zapped.
Speaker 3: All of my.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 6: You got a square with you though, I didn't think you'd have it, so I told him what it was.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is tilapi.
Speaker 3: Type of Yeah, nile perch. That's what I was going to bring up.
Speaker 7: The integrity of this game, Artie, if.
Speaker 1: You want to, I'm going to argue with you.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 6: Cicklid, but I wouldn't give it to him. Yeah, I'm not in the running, but I put down nile perch. You did put down both of them.
Speaker 1: The only fish ahead of telapia on the worldwide consumption list are tuna, and after tilapia on the list are Alaskan pollock, cod and catfish. It's believed that tilapia were the second fish in the world to be raised in aquaculture, with tilapia farming starting about one thousand years after carp farming.
Speaker 3: Wow, you know, I was in I was in.
Speaker 6: The the highlands and in Luzon Island like in the Philippines, Okay, and they have these big terraced They have these terraced rice gardens, rice beds, and part of their crop rotation.
Speaker 3: Is to flood it.
Speaker 6: And raise tilapia in it. So when it's like, out of production, it becomes a telapia pond. Even they're not native there, but that's what they use now. Out of production becomes a telapy pond. Then you that like fertilizes.
Speaker 7: When did aquaculture start in the Philippines and the Hawaiian islands because of the.
Speaker 1: A long time ago, and I think it had said carp was like thirty five hundred years ago or something like that. In Tilapia came about a thousand years after that. Randall has wrapped up the victory. But we have one question left. We'll finish the game. The topic is conservation. How many of California's national parks are named after a plant?
Speaker 3: Come? Dude, what.
Speaker 1: Don't you like about this one?
Speaker 3: Steve? This is nothing.
Speaker 1: How many of California's national parks are named after a plant? This will not change the outcome of the game. Randall has secured the victory. He has eight points right now. How many of California's national parks are named after a plant?
Speaker 3: Do you'all like how I kind of made my name look like a wave?
Speaker 1: I didn't notice that, but I do like that? Is it because we're by the wave here in Missoula?
Speaker 3: I am bored with this question.
Speaker 7: Play is searching for praise. I can't get the question, but.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, uh huh. How many of California's national parks are named after a plant? Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying one, Marco saying four, Artist says three, Randall saying two Chili four, cal one Clay two.
Speaker 3: I want to go with two, even though I wrote one.
Speaker 6: Okay, because there's probably two one of you the Redwoods.
Speaker 1: Somebody has the correct answer in this room, only one of us. The correct answer is three RTI got it right. Can you guys name all three of them? Joshua Tree, Oh, Sequoia, Redwood?
Speaker 2: Is that a Parker monument?
Speaker 1: That's the three of them? You got them?
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking of that.
Speaker 1: California has nine national parks, with three of those being named after a plant. Those are Redwood National Parks, the Koya National Park and Joshua Tree National Park. Joshua Tree is the most popular, ranked ninth on the list of the most visited national parks in the nation. Randal is our winner with eight correct answer Randall. Where is the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater going to go.
Speaker 8: The five hundred dollars is going to go to the Mayfly Project, which that's a new one. I think teaches foster kids and foster care how to fly fish and about the world of conservation.
Speaker 3: Why can't they go jigging.
Speaker 1: Records?
Speaker 8: There might be another project out there that comes from Josh Merkle.
Speaker 3: The project's project lead ahead.
Speaker 1: To what's the organization? One more time?
Speaker 3: The Mayfly Project.
Speaker 1: Five hundred dollars going their way.
Speaker 3: If you have an organization that you'd like me to donate to.
Speaker 5: Wow, Randall wins so much. I thought he's gonna have his own conformation.
Speaker 3: Do you win so much to people come to you looking for them? We've got two more in the hopper here. This guy emailed me about my hat.
Speaker 8: He wanted this is a Missoula Osprey Minor League baseball team hat when they changed the paddle heads and he emailed to ask how he can get an Austin.
Speaker 3: I got you, Yeah, he was like, while I got.
Speaker 8: You, Next time you win, think of the Mayfly Project.
Speaker 3: All joking aside, I do think they should. I mean, I applaud the mission. Mm hmm. But spinning tackle. Well, you kids should have the you know, teach kid to fish, right, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, feed him for a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Well done, Randall. How guilty do you feel about rolling in here after sleeping in a nice bed last night?
Speaker 3: Fresh and well open?
Speaker 8: These I compare it to the NBA playoffs, like I I I came in after some rest.
Speaker 3: You guys have been grinding it out seven game series.
Speaker 2: Are you saying you somehow earned it bye in the first round?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Somehow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm unproven, but it worked. You should have been on the bus last night. We had Steve trying to make NBA comparisons to members of the crew and what they were doing on the stage. He said, we were slam duncan in all night.
Speaker 7: Did anybody else get up in the middle of the hit the head and the increase and smell?
Speaker 3: Oh it was wicked. Daybreak it was wicked. Oh yeah, yeah, yak.
Speaker 6: The bus has some fumes and that maybe that gave you a much better advantage than we know.
Speaker 3: Are they biological or petro.
Speaker 1: You'll find out soon. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins