Speaker 1: Hey, this is Adding and Samantha and welcome to stuff. I'll never told you a protection of iHeartRadio. And I guess before we get into this quick content warning, we are going to be talking about death and grief things like that, but nothing to in depth. Today we are talking about the two thousand and three book The Gangster We Are All Looking For by Vietnamese American author Leam Twee. It is a short, fragmented piece told by an unnamed narrator who immigrated from Vietnam to America as a child. The locations and times jump around, largely taking place in Vietnam and America. The age of the narrator ranges from six to twenty six, and she grapples with things like identity, war, immigration, loss, puberty and PTSD, her and her parents, everybody around your kind of mainly then. The fragmented nature of the book is meant to resemble what happens to memory during a traumatic event, including the repression of her brother's death. It is a very poetic and symbolic book. A lot of people describe it as almost your more reading poetry. Here's a note from the author in nineteen seventy eight, my father and I left Vietnam by boat on board the US Navy ship that picked us up. My father incorrectly filled out the paperwork identifying me. He listed my name as Twee and my date of birth as January fifteenth, nineteen seventy two. He claims he never chose my formal name, and shugart the shoulders who could fault him for forgetting My mother arrived two years later and informed us that Bab had been wrong on both counts. She corrected my date of birth it was now January twelfth, nineteen seventy two, but insisted I keep the name Tweet. My older sister, the original Tweet had drowned at a refugee camp in Malaysia. My mother saw my father's mistake as propitious. It allowed a part of my older sister to come to this country with us, and so I kept my sister's name and wore it like a borrowed garment, one in which my mother crowded two daughters, one dead and one living. When I decided to publish under my full name in the Vietnamese fashion and all in lawer case because I prefer the way it runs, I knew that both Americans and Vietnamese may find fault with it. It is not how names go in either country. Nonetheless, it felt right to me I had finally managed to break the name down, rebuild it, and reclaim it as my own. So if you have read the book, then a lot of this is going to sound familiar. So it's not autobiographical, but it's got a lot of similarities to this story and it is a sman that I were discussing it off Mike right before. It is sort of hard to pin down because it is kind of like poetry and it does jump around a lot. So the plot is essentially you have this narrator, a named narrator, young girl who immigrates via boat from Vietnam to America, loses her brother, and then has these memories that stand out. As I said, it's supposed to represent like a traumatic or some kind of memory that just stands out when you look back for whatever reason. And it's exploring that and exploring her trying to grapple with the PTSD and her father's PTSD, her mother's PTSD and figure things out and just having a lot of questions and a lot of a lot of feelings that she's not sure what to do with but yeah, I mean, that's essentially essentially the plot. So if we move into the themes, a big one is obviously immigration and identity. Here's the quote. We each thought of those long nights floating on the ocean, rocking back and forth in the middle of nowhere, with nothing in sight. We remembered the ships that kept their distance. We remembered the people leaning over the decks of the ships to study us through their binoculars, and not liking what they saw, turning away from our boat.
Speaker 2: And then another one. I was the only Vietnamese student at my school. On the first day of class, the teacher introduced me to the other students by holding a globe in one hand as she gave it a spin with the other, and then pointing her finger at an S shaped curve near a body of water. Was that where I'd come from? As I stood before them in a dress the color of an Easter egg, with my feet encased in clear plastic sandals, the other students looked at the globe and then back at me again. Some whispered behind their hands, some just stared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so again, she's not She's kind of plays feels kind of about of place right in this a whole situation in the because they first arrived at this guy named Mel's house and he never really agreed to take them in, but someone in his family did. His father, Yeah, so he was like, okay, I'll take them in. And but it was a very much like it was not in his the cards that he was expecting, right, and he his mother was there, right, and she was the one that put put her in the like easter dress and the sandals.
Speaker 3: And she was her little doll.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was kind of dress, yes, But the narrator there was this like glass case of figurines in Mel's office or like in his his space. But there was also this like glass paperweight. It sounds like to me.
Speaker 2: Like that's like like we've all seen it if you've come from the nineties, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, like a kind of a glass yeah, with a butterfly in it. And she, the narrator, was just so concerned about this butterfly and felt like she could hear it and that it was alive in there and it was trapped in there, and she wanted to let it out. And everybody was kind of treating her like you know, your young girl like, no, it's not. But eventually it built up and she grabbed it and threw it and broke the glass case with all of the glass figurines in it in an attempt to free the butterfly. And this is when Mel kicked them all out.
Speaker 2: Nope, right, because that was the only rule in the house. Essential Well, there's a lot of rules, but the biggest rule is don't touch these things because it had been given from his father. And so both the mother and Mel were very very sentimental about these things. I'm assuming it was worth some money, maybe not already, just really loved it because the father. It was an interesting beginning with the father, the portrayal of the father who had a dream about saving the people of Vietnam because he was a veteran I think, yeah, who would serve there and had been cared for there by the people quote unquote, and so he wanted to rescue these people.
Speaker 3: That was his calling from a dream that he had supposedly.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And this is this is one of those things that when you get to the end, one of those books that when you get to the end, you're like, oh, okay. But once I got to the end, I was she was thinking, this is her brother like trapped in the glass. This is like the memory of her rather trapped in the glass, and that's why she felt like she could hear, and she felt like it was she could just free this butterfly, right, it would be alive.
Speaker 2: I think with all of that, I found that interesting and we don't talk about it at the beginning scene, and I I do relate to this because I have a very vivid picture of myself in her memory of arriving in the airport, not knowing English, being with nobody that I knew, just kind of showing.
Speaker 3: Up waiting to be picked up.
Speaker 2: And essentially that's what the experience happens for herself and the four other men in MA and they are waiting to be picked up, not realizing the person who had sponsored them essentially had died and he was being they were picked up by another dude who really obviously did not want them. And the fact that I think they the people who were picking them up, the mother especially was thinking she was gonna get a reception of love and thankfulness instead, like they were scared and confused more than anything else, and that level of like what do.
Speaker 3: We do who are you?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: We trust you? Do you trust us?
Speaker 2: And that level of like being a burden and being seen as a burden and realizing there a burden without even knowing the language. Like it was very reminiscent like at that immigration stage of like, yeah, okay, this is our status.
Speaker 3: Here, this is our status.
Speaker 2: And I think it was a very telling beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, here is another quote, and this one I was like, I'm not sure where to put it, but I just thought it was interesting because it's kind of about like all of these warnings that summer, as I sat with her while she worked, she would issue her warnings about the pool. She told me, look at you, you're as small as a mouse. The water is much deeper than you think. About cars, she said, they can hit you and keep going. About the needle on her sewing machine, she said, watch your fingers. It can move much faster than you can run. And about boys, she warned, they will try to press you into it. So this is when they moved to the next place and it has pool and water. We're gonna talk about this at the end, but water is a huge theme right throughout this whole thing, and this pool was very big thing.
Speaker 3: The Vietnamese word for water.
Speaker 2: It was very similar to the Korean word for water more that's the Korean word, And I was like, oh, because that's it's like there's a heaviness about it, taking you, taking you, taking your life, but taking you places too, and being lost in it. That's very, very deep into that that they were talking about from jump, them arriving from the water and the fact that her parents were still in the water, and she didn't know what that meant, but it was giant mm hmm. So here's another quote. We tumble out the window like people tumbling a continents. We are time traveling, weighed down by heavy furniture and bags of precious junk. We find ourselves against Boss yellow truck. Ma calls his name, her voice reaching like a hand feeling for a tree trunk and darkness and the car. Ma starts to cry. What about the sea? She asks, what about the garden? Boss says we can come back in the morning and dig up the stalks of lemon grass and fold the sea into a blue square. My sobbing. She is beating the dashboard with her fists. I want to know, she says, I want to know I want to know who is doing this to us? Hiccupping, She says, I want to know why why there's always a fence. Why there's always someone on the outside wanting someone something on the inside and between them this sharp fence. We are always leaving like this. And this is where I got kind of confused, y'all, because she talks about leaving her parents behind in the attic, and I was like, wait, was her parents in the attic because there is like a moment of conversations where they're prepping for the parents to come, and then then a lot of confusion from me.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, well they had to, as this quote tells you, they had to leave kind of quickly because they just got an eviction notice that was like, hey, we're gonna break down, We're going to tear down all of this. And this was after they filled in the pool, right, and we'll rebuild it and you'll be the first on our list when it's up and running again. But they just had to They had to leave and steal essentially their own stuff, write it out. So it happened very quickly, and I mean my interpretation was that the parents had not shown up yet, that they were just preparing for them, and then they had to leave really quickly, and that's why part of the devastation was, well, they're going somewhere else now, or how we're going to tell them? How will they know?
Speaker 2: One of your theories apparently that I just read, as Riswega says at the end, the mother calls out of her for her parents, which you've forgotten. This has a double meaning. She's calling for her home in Vietnam to return to Vietnam, as well as a photograph she's forgotten at her Linda Vista home. So it's literal too, Okay, So that's where I missed that one. But yeah, it's because that's the entirety of the book, y'all. There's double meaning, if not triple or like quadriple meaning, which is kind of the poetic to it of like oh the deeper, the depth that this is probably one of those very short books that if you read it three or four different times, you're going to find three or four different things, like different meanings. Yes, which is beautiful and very very intelligent that I apparently is not in my house.
Speaker 1: Well, we were talking about this too, because you usually listen audio and I read it with my eyes dress. But there are and we were talking about this too, of their own book. There are some books that are just better. It's it's easier to like keep track of the thread if you're reading it, and some it's better to do it the audio. But this one I did have the thought when I was reading, I was like, oh, bit, that's jumping around. You might be a little bit confused about.
Speaker 4: The story because it also has a picture, the photograph in it, which is a big part of it, and the story of like how.
Speaker 1: The mother and father got together. That's where the title comes from. At least again, as you said, there's like multiple meanings, right, that is what because the dad it's like a the gangster we were looking for. He was a gangster right from North Korea. And she was like a Catholic girl, so her parents did not approve at all. Here's another quote. Mass has wars a bird with a broken wing flying over the countryside, trailing blood and burying crops and sorrow. If something grows in spite of this, it is both a curse and a miracle. When I was born, she cried to know that it was war I was breathing in and she could never shake it out of me. Ma says war makes it dangerous to breathe, though she knows you die if you don't. She says, she could have thrown me against the wall until I broke or coughed up this war that is killing us all. She could have stomped on it in the dark and danced on it like a mad woman dancing on gravestones. She could have grounded down to powder and spat on it, but didn't. I know. War has no beginning and no end. It crosses oceans like a splintered boat filled with people singing a sad song. And that is a big piece of this too, is the family aspect, and also the trauma and the PTSD aspect, as we have been saying, because the the way that it manifests in the different characters is different, but it is very clear, like the father figure is like an angry alcoholic essentially. The narrator, as I've said, is having flashbacks, although she's not really sure that she's having them. She's just having these like emotions and memories come back based on certain sensations. One of them is there's a scene where she goes to get a bag of ice and she just carries it in her arms, and she has something akin to a panic attack because her fingers kind of get wrinkly and she's cold, and it reminds her in some way of her brother being dead in the water, and that that's probably his fingers looked like. Also, a lot of the relationships are just really tense, a lot of unresolved issues for sure. But again going back to the title, there is a pretty strong father daughter relationship happening in here. He's the one that carried her to the boat. She wanted to be like him. He is the gangster they are looking for. It's interesting because she does see a lot of his faults, but I guess she almost sees them as like a strength. It's interesting the way she looks, she looks up to him and looks at him. But yeah, he was the one that was there and carried her in the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She even says at one point, I want to be the gangster we are all looking for, like implying she wants to be like him. You know, even when like the abusive situations happened, she still realizes that he carried the family essentially in so many ways. And the scenes that we have of just him and his wife her her father and mother are really sweet, interestingly a contrast to what she remembers from him and why she stays away from him, right, But the way he cares for her, and like the whole scene where he talks about the news anchor said that we're going to get this feast and we're going to cook this and she he was talking about her being a cook, the mother being the cook, and him being a gardener at that point, and she was like, oh, really, who's cooking this? And he goes, I guess the gardener's implying that he would feed her and help her. So it was interesting. It was an interesting like flip, yeah, and how she saw him in the youth and how the the father saw him to the these scenes of him caring for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and they did have they were They would fight like her parents would fight, but they always seemed to kind of come back together. It was interesting, definitely, Okay, and that I thought the mom was cheating at one point, right because there was another guy at the movie theater and I was like, Oh, I don't know which, I guess. Speaking of adolescence and love is the theme in here. Here's a quote. In the early days of my parents' courtship, my mother told stories. She confessed elaborate dreams about the end of war. Food she'd eat, a banquet table, mangoes piled to the ceiling. Songs she'd make up and sing, clapping her hands her head and throwing her hair like a horse's mane. Dances. She dance, hopping from one foot to the other. Unlike the responsible, favorite daughter or sister she was to her family with my father in the forest, my mother became reckless, drunk on her youth and the possibilities of love, ignoring the chores to be done at home. She rolled her pants up to her knees, stuck her bare feet in puddles, and learned to smoke a cigarette.
Speaker 3: She rebelled bit a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the scene that we get is she see someone that she hadn't seen in years, like her It seems like maybe her first love. But it also coincides with the author talking about her first contact with a young boy, So it kind of like that melding of realizing what her mother was doing and what she was doing as well, and her first experience with love and lust. And here's another quote, the barbed wire gates open, and she crosses through to him, arrives warm, the slightest film of sweat on her bare arms. To his disbelieving eyes, she says, it's me. It's me, shy and formal and breathless. My parents always meeting for the first time, savoring the sound of a name, marveling at the bones of the face cut by the bones of the hand. I trail behind him the tip of their dragon's tail. I am drawn along like a silken banner on the body of a kite.
Speaker 3: Very beautiful, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's really beautiful. Poetic verse.
Speaker 3: I'm attaching that somewhere.
Speaker 1: It's a long quote, but yeah, I just want to briefly touch on this. There is some stuff about religion in here that I thought was interesting. Here's a quote. My friends told me that if he gave the church people the chance, they would open their little books and, pointing to the pictures of fresh fruit, say things like, this is heaven. Here's the Kingdom of God, where no one suffers. Their fingers tracing an invisible line connecting all the healthy people walking through the sunlit fields. My friends and I took the pamphlets the church people handed out and studied the drawings of people having picnics on the banks of the Long Blue River, or harvesting wheat, or standing arm in arm looking into each other's eyes. To us, these pictures were more unbelievable than the warriors we saw flying in the Kung Fu movies. As far as we could understand it, the church on our street was like a ladder to the kingdom. I thought that was an interesting through line, right there is her and her mom liked to go see Kung Fu movies, so there is that through line throughout. But also, yes, there is there are some there's.
Speaker 3: A church on the street and Jehovah's Witness church there.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's some people church people about and her and most of her friends seemed mostly confused by it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting conversation about the colonization that was happening with the Catholicism of Johoah's Witness and different religions that came through in Vietnam, especially during this era. And I think it has a bigger conversation because she's more intrigued by the tails of it. Yes, I think we all are as children, but she is more intrigued by that than the actual belief system.
Speaker 1: Right the story of it, which, yeah, leads us to the next point.
Speaker 3: Dreams.
Speaker 1: Dreams are a big part in this. Here's a quote. I began to play with the ceiling, a game that I used to play with the sky when I was lying in the fishing boat on the sea. At that time, I thought that everyone and everything I missed was hovering behind the sky. The game involved looking for a seam to the sky, a thread I could pull. I told myself that if I could find the thread and focus on it hard enough with my eyes, I could tear the sky open, and my mother, my brother, my grandfather, my flippops, my favorite shells would all fall down to me. And she's a very imaginative. She's a very imaginative narrator. I remember when we were reading, we always like give each other a couple of books to choose from, And when I was reading the summary of this book, it's said in there like she feels things and sees things very strongly.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's common for only like lonely children, especially when they're forced to be isolated. So language barrier and she talked about being the only Vietnamese child not being able to speak to anyone, and everybody else were adults, so she had to dream.
Speaker 3: She dreamed as.
Speaker 2: Well as like, yes, trauma, so when you have that kind of like overlaying each other. And I find it interesting that they use the ideas of photos with them through here talking about this is photo number one, this is what too, this is photo death, because I've talked about repeatedly like being a child with no true memories, like meaning like a lot of the times that what we grow up to remember are things that are fed to us and shown to us through photographs. So if you only have a photograph with no contexts, the things that you imagine, which is kind of what she does.
Speaker 3: M hmm. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also I thought like, because this was you know, the escaping war, Vietnam war, coming to America for quote hopefully a better life, you know, and so like that dream of that as well of like maybe it will be better here. And then yes, when they arrived, it was isolating and scary, and but that did make me think of think of that too, of sort of that dream of something across the water is maybe better, right right.
Speaker 2: Taking you somewhere else. Here's another quote. I lay in bed and remembered the things I had seen in the swimming pool. I remember the body of a boy gliding along the floor of the pool, sunlight streaming across his bare back. I remembered the reflections of clouds, family of clouds, and birds migrating. I remember the leaves that floated to the edges of the swimming pool and nested there. I remembered how the layer of the sun made the water glint like a window pane. I remember the reflections of a ball bouncing in the courtyard, and the clotheslines strung from reil to rel, the sheets fluttering like banners in the wind. But what I remembered most were the boys flying. I remember their bodies arking through the air and plunging down. I remembered how their hands parted the water, and how as they disappeared, the last thing I would see were the pale soles of their feet, falling asleep. I remember the brightness of the full moon shimmering into the swimming pool, so close, so close, like a caught fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, going back to the pool, as we said, it was a big piece of this story. She would see these boys jumping into the pool, and she would kind of observe how they jumped into the pool and would think about wanting to do it herself. But I just love this section because it does showcase outgrade of a writer she is, but also the narrator really taking this in and the way that those memories sometimes you don't know why they form, but they do. And I was thinking about this of the day. I have some memories that I'm like, I don't know why my brain decided that was important. I remember it so clearly right, And I feel like this is a good example of her. I mean I feel like that in here it was her thinking I want to go jump in that water. I want to go jump in the pool, and that there's just something so close that I haven't captured yet, or that's just like right out of my reach. But it's just very vivid imagery, and I think it is a good, a really good example of memories and how they can form like that.
Speaker 2: I think it's also like the person of the kids doing that to the fact that the mother wouldn't let her because of our own memories of water and how she feels the water is cursed and then the closing of the bowl because the landlord has seen this and it was the beginning and was like, oh, okay, we're gonna fill this up because you don't get yourself killed, like essentially doing some of the things. Like all of that has that same theme of kind of like the circling about of like the joy and freedom, but then the loss and then the forbidding, like it just all happened with that theme again about water.
Speaker 1: Yes, because the the mother was yeah, she was like I want to be near water, but she didn't want to go in, right, she didn't want her daughter to go in. And then when they filled up the pool because these boys were jumping off recklessly, she was very hurt by it and very like, oh, well, now we don't have water near us. And yes, as we said, water is a big theme throughout. As you said, the Vietnamese word for water very close to the Korean word.
Speaker 2: It is now so sweet. I can't say it like nop. I think nope, no, okay, no, that's what it is, so nope and I'm sorry to all the Vietnamese people, which is like kind of that same level more like that, it's very close, but that is yeah, us, I just looked it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, And according to what I looked up, it is in Vietnamese the word for water and the word for a nation, a country, and homeland are one and the same because Vietnam is surrounded by water. So and it was very prevalent, as we've we've mentioned several times the pool, but as the story progresses, you don't really know the brother has died fully until more towards the end.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't realize there was a brother, yes, until the end exactly.
Speaker 1: And it was as they were getting onto the boats. He was jumping between boats and drowned, and they brought the body back and the family was saying, like the water was heavy, this is bad water, and so that like having him in there, it was like, this is bad water. And so throughout having those things like with the pool, like wanting it there but not wanting to go in it, as you were saying, kind of that cycle of here's all of the good things with it, but here's all the bad things with it, and the trauma with it, and then having like the narrator want to jump in the water because doesn't quite has repressed this memory pretty fully for most of the story. I really liked it. It was beautiful, very beautiful. It is something definitely I would like to read again because it's very poetic and now that I think, now that I know how it moves, I think I would be much better at keeping track of like okay, I know where things are like people are right. But I do highly recommend it. It's fairly short and very beautifully written.
Speaker 3: It is yes, go eat it.
Speaker 1: Yes well. Listeners. If you have read it and you have any thoughts, please let us know if you have any suggestions for the segment. Also, please let us know. You can emails a Stephania mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. We've met us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff when I've told you. We're also on YouTube. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks is always too, our super producer Christina or executive producer My and our contributor Joey, Thank you and thank see you for listening Stuff I'll Never told you. These production of I Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app Apple podcasts wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 4: No.