Speaker 1: huh? Okay.
Speaker 2: The brewing industry is all about community. And what better way to catch up with everyone then at the Great American Beer Festival, Welcome to the gas, Katie and beer podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm Cascadian have a background in radio and television broadcasting from a music producer and have a passion for beer. I don't consider myself an expert on beer by any means, but I do enjoy and respect the craft and the passion of these brewmasters. I want to learn for these pioneers. Let's set some apart from the rest and why they choose to go Cascadia their home. Cascadia is a bio region in the Pacific Northwest in the North American continent. It is made up of the U. S states of Washington and Oregon, as well as the Canadian province in British Columbia. In this podcast series, a profile the unique breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence on the international beer scene. On this episode, I've traveled back to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival 2018. This is my second time attending the festival, and I was really looking forward to catching up with friends of the podcast from Cascadia, as well as those that I'd met last year while attending and, of course, meet new breweries and new people along the way. I wanted to start this episode off by getting a clearer picture to the craft beer industry in the past year. For that, I was fortunate enough again to sit down with chief economist for the Brewers Association Bart Watson. My name is Bart Watson, and I'm chief economist at the Brewers Association, and it is fantastic to see you again. We saw each other almost this time last year. I mean, it was October last year. Ah, we're at the Great American Beer Festival 2018 in Denver. And are you excited? I'm excited. This is one of those events. Every year that re energizes me. That gets me excited. You get to see everybody in the beer industry. You get to see how excited the consumer still is about beer and craft beer. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's a fun few days, all right, so you are the economist for the B A. So let's crunch some numbers here.
Speaker 1: Things were
Speaker 2: looking really positive last year things were on the on the up. I remember you said we were seeing between 70 to 80 closures of breweries kind of annually. Has that changed at all? I mean, I kind of feel like there might have been a bit of a down slum in terms of openings. Yeah, we've seen, um, certainly that closing number rise. It's, um, Risen a little bit is a percentage. You know, some of this is just we have a lot of worries now, And so even if a low percentage of them closed, that's a much higher number than it was a few years ago. Um, I think some of it is it's a tougher market than it was. And so, you know, more people are recognizing that, you know, maybe they're not getting the growth they expected to get and are choosing to close down. You know, I think we'll probably see between two and 300 closer just here, which is gonna be the most that we've seen. But as a percentage is still, you know, only a few percent of the industry and way below what you see in a lot of other small businesses. Yes, that today do you know, off the top of your head how many breweries we have in America here? If I had to guess a number right now they're active. Probably 6800. So we're approaching 7000. I think we're gonna hit 7000 by the end of the year. It's gonna be the most we've ever seen. And, you know, it's worth noting that even with all those closures were still seeing openings outpaced closures. Probably 321 And we're gonna see more openings this year than maybe we saw last year. So there's still tremendous excitement about getting in, but certainly it's tougher than it was a few years ago, and we were seeing openings last year, like, kind of in kind of well established hubs. Already have we kind of scene that spread across the board?
Speaker 1: I think we're
Speaker 2: still seeing it, at least statewide. In places where there are already a lot of race, it's actually really baffling to me how much more density you're getting in places where there already a lot of Berries Portland, for example. There certainly are limits to this, though, and you know, I think we've finally seen the tipping point. A couple of the very leading cities Portland, San Diego, are places where it's starting to be a little bit more, one in one out and occasionally even one going in or, you know, one coming out and not getting replaced by another brewery, which is something we certainly didn't see in those cities a few years ago. So it is changing. But generally speaking, most of the openings are still in states that have a lot of worries. So overall industry as a whole that we see growth or is it just kind of been stable again? We see growth, Um, and you know that. I think that's were stressing that, you know, even a slow down. It's a growing industry. I think you know, there is a question about whether there's enough growth for everyone to succeed. But, you know, I think we're going to see 45% growth when all is said and done this year in an industry that's 25 million barrels, I mean, we're gonna see a 1,000,000 barrels of growth, and that's something five or 10 years ago would have been a remarkable achievement down. And, uh, what are we sitting at market share wise in terms of the overall consumption here, I think we're looking at probably somewhere in the 13% range in terms of volume share. When all is said and done this year, dollar sales are always stronger and we continue see strong dollar sales growth, particularly cause so much of the growth is in the tail, which is, you know, higher price point on average, more likely to be on premise. So you know it's possible we're gonna get Thio 23 24% of dollar sales this year. And then, like last year, too. We're really looking at kind of the tasting rooms just really exploding and not necessarily packaging products and sending it anywhere. Has that kind of come about? Yeah, the tasting room still or where A lot of the dynamism is that. Certainly, you know, we talk about more Berries opening than ever. Most of them are banking on a direct consumer, locally focused model. These aren't Berries. They're starting up expecting to be packaging and broader distribution like we saw maybe five years ago. So that's certainly where some of the growth is. I don't think all the growth but I wouldn't be surprised if you know last year was only 30% of growth, and this year it might be more like 40 or 50% of the growth that we see coming direct from those bary sales. So you said last year we're seeing most of the Berries. 75% are making less than 1000 barrels. Is that still the case? That's still the case. You know. We still see that long tail, you know, dominating the number of worries. And so it's worth keeping that in perspective. I mean, we're moving toward a world where we have 78 9000 breweries. But you know that that long tail most of those aren't gonna make very much beer. And you know, when you think about 75% of the brewery's, you know, that's a huge number of breweries, and if you add up all their beer, they're making about one out of 200 years in the US they have about 1/2 a percent of the market share, so it's a lot of breweries and not a lot of beer. And then the conversation last year that we're having to was there was a lot of talk about multi being the new hops. How have those those feeder industries as it were for the brewing industry, come about? Have we seen growth in that sexual too? Or is everything just kind of kind of happy as it is? We've been seeing tremendous growth and hops in recent years. I think we're starting to see that slow down on. And perhaps there was maybe even a little bit of an over builds and hops, you know, particularly in certain varieties. You know, one thing to note is that the hot industry is a global one. Even if hop growers aren't seeing as much demand growth as they've seen here in the U. S. Overseas, we're seeing craft explode as well. And American hops are really the signature flavor of what craft beer is now globally. So, you know, I think we're going to see some growth there just because of global demand on the moat side. Certainly there has been some growth, you know, I don't think it's quite as fast and certainly multi being the new hops is we're not quite there yet. We've certainly seen a lot of sessional styles grow, but they're not necessarily supermom forward styles, so we'll see if that changes. I still think that's a lot of green space for burgers to explore. All right, And then also, there's talk. Last year, about kind of siders were beginning The new popular thing. Has that had much of effect in terms of beer? Or where where is the cider percentage with B A. Yeah, you know, we don't track cider closely. Certainly some of our members make cider, and we're seeing increasing. The lot of them are more interested in cider, and there's been a lot of growth this year and particularly rose a ciders and then, ah, big thing, you know, driving chunks of the market. You know, there's overlap there. I mean, some people who are drinking cider, drinking beer and vice versa. Um, some people drinking cider because they don't like beer and vice versus So I think we're still seeing growth in the cider market. It's it's really split it kind of the larger producer. It's, you know, some of those rose A's of the products that air. They're going really well, but there's a lot of small producers inside, or just like in beer and a lot of them are focused on dryer. Cider is on kind of really getting that those local dry flavors. So, um, the cider markets in your shoe when it's it's definitely not as developed is the bear market in the U. S. But it's one that I think there's gonna be a lot of changes in the coming years, of which state had saw the most growth last year in terms of volume, volume growth.
Speaker 1: That's a good
Speaker 2: question that I probably should know off top my head. Um, you know, I'd have to guess that it's one of the states that we're seeing come online, um, you know, and grow rapidly. You know, a state like Texas, you know, we have seen some slowdown in in some of the leading states Colorado, California, growing quite like they once were. You're part of that, too, is that buries in Those states are building second Berries out of state rather than growing in state now. So there's been a lot of growth in states that a little less traditional for craft. Virginia's been one that's really moved up a lot of the rankings recently. North Carolina seen a ton of growth now just because of the second Berries. So that might be the one that has had the most production growth. Just his second Berries are opening their. And if I recall off memory, both those states Virginia and North Carolina took home a lot of medals last year, too. So I mean, it's it's really seems to be happening over there. Yet both of those are states where there's been a conscious push by the state to develop the industry. But they're also ones where there's really dynamic industry. It's not, you know, it's not just state driven, but there's also that consumer poll. People are excited. You're seeing the industry developed. So you know, one of things that has been excited is it'll contradict myself from earlier. Is that we? You know, we have seen some some new places really pop online, and craft isn't just the California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, you know, a handful of states, and you know there's tremendous growth in New York, which has been a state that's kind of been a sleeping giant for years, So we're seeing lots of places you really start to develop. And if Kraft's gonna get growth in the coming years. It's gonna be those places you no more so than leaving states that really drive it. And then numbers wise. How's the Pacific Northwest doing? Washington, Oregon? You know, we're still seeing growth in number Berries. Oregon certainly slowed. I think Oregon's starting thio really mean the per capita numbers are very high. You know, more than 20% of the beer that is drunk is produced in state and by small producers. That's a tremendous is it? Can a state that doesn't have a large Marie in it and you know it. So I think you're seeing a little bit slow our growth there because it's just reading Gene, that mature market point Washington seems like it's still growing. Certainly a number of breweries and that long tail continues to grow. But maybe it wasn't quite what it was a year or two ago. Okay, And what is the one thing that you're most excited about? Numbers wise for the next year? Like, what's a big projection that you that you'd like to see happen? Um, what's a projection that I would like to see happen? You know? I mean, you know, I always like to see, you know, high success rate. You know, I'm not sure that we're going to see that success rates stay as high as it has been just because it's a more competitive market. Um, I'm excited to see the consumer demand for at the brewery sales continue to grow. And watch that. I mean, that's one. That that's probably the number I I get most interested in every quarter is the TT be premise use number seeing how that's growing because for so many of these Berries, that's really where they're gonna make it or break it if they can continue to get consumers excited, how high service quality have high beer quality and get them into their tasting rooms and get those margins. That's where most Berries or going to succeed or fail No, right. And, ah, the festival hasn't even started yet. Um, so is there a particular thing that you're excited about upstairs that you're gonna check out once we get doors open here? You know, every year one of things I'm most excited about is just to be surprised by, you know, one of the styles that suddenly I wasn't id or no, my radar and you start seeing lots of Berries have I mean it's often a really good leading indicator what's gonna be big? So I'm interested to see what people are bringing in that. You know, maybe they weren't a year or two ago. You means lots of new things upstairs. First time ever, Caro Convention Center's gonna have food trucks in there. There's a whole bunch of areas that are redesigned. Buffalo Wild Wings is building a sports bar so I can watch the Stanford Oregon game on ah on Saturday. That's not the only reason they're building it, but that's that's what I like to believe. I'll give you credit if if he had a hand in making yeah S o so that's gonna be awesome. So it's gonna be It's the biggest space we've ever had. I think it's gonna be awesome. I'm super psyched, all right? Yeah, I'm, uh I'm hoping for a more safe zones this year, like, but I also think we're gonna find probably a lot of brute. I p A's like that seems to be the fancy style of the moments
Speaker 1: that will be
Speaker 2: an interesting one. Watch will be interesting to see if brood I p. A has spread geographically. I mean, certainly that's a style you see, a ton in on the West Coast and you're starting to be in Colorado. And that's a great indication of Has that style spread to Marie's in Ohio? Is it, You know, spread across the country and I can really be a good sign that Oh, this is gonna be something to watch in the coming years. And then Plus, I just want to be surprised by I didn't think that you could do that. Yeah, you did it good. Yeah. Yeah, exactly. Well, thank you so much. Really appreciate it. Yeah. Wonderful. Thanks for having me. Thank you so much. Depart for his time. Now, the festival's getting started. And I just wanted to reflect again on what the Great American Beer Festival is and how we got to where we are today. Full of full recap of the history, you can check out my previous episode on the Great American Beer Festival from last year at Cascadian Dark Beer. Before a quick recap on the festival, I spoke with the Director of the Homebrewers Association,
Speaker 1: Gary Glass directed American Homebrewers Association and How important is Thea American Homeowner Association to J B F like? What is the relationship? Well, the American Homebrewers Association started the G A B F, so it's pretty important now. All this came from, uh, came from memory. Charlie Facing started the H A in 1978 3 years later, he started the Great American Beer Festival, so it was really a bunch of Homer's who got the breweries from all across the country together. First time this happened in the United States, where the Berries were together in a beer festival. And then it's expanded into what you see now, and part of the competition is the pro am. What exactly is the pro am? And what role does that play in the competition? So the pro am is members of the American over his association, who have won awards and competition Avery's scale up those recipes and produce them and then enter them into the competition. So it's a collaboration between numbers and professional brewers, making beer and then entering into the Great American Beer Festival, so we would medals to both the number and and a professional brewer. For those that win the competition So if somebody was wanting to get into some, uh, well, just gettinto homebrewing where some good resource is that you could direct them to, uh, well, great resource. Our website, homebrewers association dot or we've got a ton of free information videos. They could walk people through the process. Really encouraged. People start out very simple with an extract batch. Make it really easy. And then from there, this guy's the limit. When was the last time you brood? The last time I brewed was a couple of weeks ago, but you make I made Ah, steam beer. California Common. Right. Sweet. Well, thank you so much for your time. Absolutely. My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to Gary for his time. Really appreciate it now The festival's underway. So I just wanted to hit the floor and see what was happening around in the Great American Beer Festival.
Speaker 1: My name is Patrick Harris. Signed the tapper manager for a mass production facility at Break Side Brewery in Milwaukee. Organ and I also manage at one of our tap, our new tap room downtown. It slapped down and so break side. I mean, you guys have expanded a lot in recent years. Yeah, it's pretty exciting. Last year, we kind of got I think our barrel ege was 24 a half 1000 barrels. This year, we're gonna knock on 30. So we're seeing that 15 to 20% growth is kind of our kind of our ideal spot right now. We don't want to get too big too quickly of a natural progression. The demand. The market wants more beer, and we're trying to give him more beer, Eh? So how is Portland as a whole s a seed at the moment is there is a kind of plateau door are stable, shall I say? Oh, man, that is the question I probably get the most. Most people ask because, you know, in the greater Portland area would probably have 93 re somewhere around there. And everyone's worried about saturation. And I always say this Portland does not need more breweries. However, we will always drink good beer. So if you open a spot and you make great beer, we're gonna come to you. The market is not saturated where it's so supportive of each other. We're all friends with each other. There's no competition. Obviously, We need sell bottles, cell kegs and, you know, make money to pay our employees and things like that and accolades. But at the end of the day, we all love beer in Portland so much that we're rooting for each other. So if you make great beer, you get a hangout. That's always say right, so, Portland, you're there. Do you venture out much? Who in Washington is inspiring you? Who? The people in Washington Uh, my, my like my baby Right now. I don't I don't specifically know anybody up there but Rubens out of Seattle over and Ballard. I lived in balance for a little bit. Rubens wasn't there when I lived there. That's my darling. That's my baby. I think those guys make such fantastic beer, and I'm so happy for them, and I just hope they continue their success. And if you haven't had Ruben's get on it, the Gaza is absolutely amazing, as as seen here, a G B F. They've given love to Rubin's. It's time for everyone to give love to them, too. And then how about Canada, who is a favorite B c stand out? Well, you know, we got some friends up there, Yellow dog. You know, we we know those guys and I have to give a shout out to them. We've collab with them. They make great stuff, too. They understand, Brett. They understand. I p a mass love to the yellow dot kids. So as anything stood out for you here at the festival yet, like, what's a beer that's, like, really got your attention anywhere? Who? It's a tough call. There's so many places. I'm just trying not to get too drunk, To be honest with you, It's so easy. You just looking. You're like one sip one ounce. I can put this back real quick. To be honest, I haven't got there yet, right? So I know that's a bad answer, but I'm not quite there yet, so this is my second time here. And last year the best advice I got before the festival even started was from another media guy from Fort Collins. And I said, What's the best advice you could give me? He says, You're already two beers in. I'm like, What are you talking about? He's like the air's thin. Your two beers it Yeah, I heard something the same I asked some friends that working it for our company and some friends that work for other breweries in the Portland area said, What's biggest advice? They said, To be honest, there's so much beer you're going to drink so much fear that if you taste something and it's not good, spit it out. You don't have to finish it, because if you just say whatever, I can kill this one ounce beer. Two hours later, you're on the floor. Well, thank you so much. Not a problem. And good luck. All right. Friend of the podcast. You see again your name Aaron Hamrick Company. And you're in Aurora, Colorado. Yes. And how have you guys been the past year? We've been good for really gearing up for 2019 and 2018. 18. Great. And how many beers do you have entered in the competition this year? You know, off the top, your head, we we have at least eat, so we're hoping to get another medal. Okay, well, best of luck to you, and it's always great trying your beers because they are. Oh, thank you very much. Been sable with circle brewing companies and I'm drinking your historical i v a. What's historical about it? Well, uh, pretty much everything. Is this Oracle about it? We were as accurate and true to historical accuracies who possibly could be on recreating the beer way, working the micro moster to recreate the mold that went into it, we researched a bunch of different recipes at the time. 300 years ago, a pale ales that they were sending around the around the world took an amalgamation of that recreated that recipe. We then took that recipe rude. It's then put it in the barrels inoculated with pretending diocese because during those trade routes, all of those barrel stays in being broken down and reuse over and over again. Bright contamination waas absolute certainty at the time. So my time he got to assassination at its secondarily fermented with bread on this mare is the results. So we did all of those things as best we could. And hopefully when you drink some of this beer, you're drinking what it tasted like 300 years ago to drink, and I bet and you're from Austin, Texas. What was the bolt company that you worked with? Black? One small And where were they based? Uh, they're based in Cedar Park, Texas. All right, cool. And then how's the festival been for you? How many years have been opened? And how many times attending been open? Eight years were circled, But this is my 10 g b f in a row. Yeah, Gold. Thank you for your time. Oh, my pleasure. Thank you. Andy Johnson. You're representing Pico Brew? Uh huh. And how is Pico grew Been because I saw you guys last year. You introduced this Still what's new this year? From you? Uh, Z. So the Z is tthe e second generation of the zygomatic. So we've taken a lot of users feedback. And then I used our engineering department has changed things about it. Dimensions wait. Speed through ability. That's a word on. How's the reception been with Pico in the past year. That's great. Really good. We we did also lunch. Um, are you, which is our universal model that does everything from beer to spirits, too. Coffee and kombucha and fusion beverages. And we put that on hold of finish out Z and push out the still because we have a lot of users that want that we've rolled out about 1200 of those. So we're pushing out about ah 100 a week and should have that all fulfilled in a month. Six weeks, and then the you will blast out again in January, right? Awesome. And they know what are the plans for next year? A major expansion going on? I don't know. I think it's some with all the excuse that we do have its managing those. And then they will be you. That will be enough for the next year for us, then with our Pico units, with all of our very partners air adding onto those. So I believe since I saw you last or a cinch last year, J B f we've added on another 75 very partners. Which brings us upto almost 250 which is a lot when we first started signing him was at G A b f a couple of years ago, so I'm pretty proud of that. And I mean,
Speaker 2: you need to check all these
Speaker 1: recipes to, like with the breweries to make sure that they're kind of in line with what they're brewing. Correct. We do. We we, uh once we get the recipe, and then we scale it up and our scale it down. Actually, in our lab, a ghost, a rigorous QC and sensory panel. And then we send it off to the brewery so they can also sign off on it. Sometimes is the handsome prince Miss. And then we you know, we do some changes, but then once it's signed off, um, I'm confident the brewery's confident, but it's, ah, very detailed process. But you want your you're using and Berries, bread and butter. I mean, this is there beer, so you need to be able to represent them. And people want that at home. Not just one thing. All of the brewery. So it's It's so it's nice to have it to have it most places. Thank you so much. Great to see you again. Always good to see you. Yeah. The name St Barts, founder of Eastern Market Brewing Company in Detroit, Michigan. How long you been open? We're less than a year. Next week is actually our one year. Well, happy birthday. Thank you. Thank you. Appreciate it. So, obviously, first time here too, And we're in Brewer's row house. The reception been for you It's been great. I mean, it's just so much great beer. It's unbelievable how big it is. There's a couple of festivals in Michigan, but nothing like this has been great. What's the reception been like? How people been responding to your beer. It's been spent great. You don't see a lot of New England solid base out here. I've come to realize, although there's a lot of growth. So we're having to explain to some folks, and they really like him. Are white coffee stout? There's been a lot of people keep coming back. For I had that. That's really tasty, man. Great work on that. So my favorite question to ask is, How did beer find you? Oh, man, it was a long journey. We actually found old building in Eastern Market in Detroit. They wanted Thio bring back to life, and there's a long brewing tradition in Detroit. And so we thought we'd bring the two together and started Bury. One of my other founders is a home brewer. So he brought his passion and started that very all right. Great. And, uh, how could people learn more about you? Come on. Our website Eastern market, not beer. They're on Instagram and Facebook. Thanks so much for the check. Yeah, thank you. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's not just breweries at the Great American Beer Festival. In fact, in that previous segment, we heard from people Prue. And there's a lot of other great opportunities and great industries represented at the Great American Beer Festival. And with that, there's the media coverage. So I spoke with some fellow media types like myself.
Speaker 1: Eric Bice. I am a hot story teller for top stories, Right? And how long you been coming, Thio? The Great American Beer Festival? This is our second year here. Definitely learned a lot about having a great time drinking some good beers and seeing some good friends. So what stood out for you? Uh, during the festival? Well, you know, it's every year. It's kind of this crazy party where there's tons of good beer, so it's really hard to pick just one beard. That's it. Out there been a couple really big barrel aged stouts that, you know, start tonight with something like that and kind of warm palette up. And then, uh, maybe head to the Sauer's speciation from Michigan. They're killing it. I made sure to hit them early, actually, because they were just out of beer last year, every time I tried and what his hot stories all about. S O. We do video photography for the craft beer industry. A little bit of marketing, some social media's this sense. Yeah, video guilt. And how can we find you? Check inside a top stories dot com or instagram at top stories. Facebook slash cop stories were fairly active on Instagram. Sweet. Great to see you here. Great to see you. So I'm at the Great American Beer Festival and it's nice that you run into friends, especially Canadian friends. Who are you, sir? My name's Tim LaHaye and I am the craft, your tourist craft tourist on instagram, right? And what is it that you do? Well, you know what? I love to hike mountains, a lot of travel and I love Thio drink and showcased BC craft beer. But traveling the world and experiencing the craft, beer and the culture that exists, whether it be on the West Coast of North America or into, uh, you know, the mountains here in Denver. It's pretty exciting that there's a lot of worries here. A lot of beer and the exploring in the adventuring is what What draws me here? Right. So this is your first time at the Great American Beer Festival, right? Yes, it absolutely is. And this is night too. I saw you last night. So what are your impressions? There's a lot of beer here. And I gotta say, I was a little overwhelmed when I was looking at the numbers and I heard 800 breweries and 4000 viewers. And I had that foam Oh, thing going on. Fear of missing L. But when it came down to it, I figured if I didn't have a game plan and I didn't have a list of places that I had to make sure that I had and I just took the time to take it all in the enjoy it and experience it for what it is, you know, find the place with short lineups shot with this many people as I can that you know, I leave here with, you know, a great experience. And so far, the game plan is being executed perfectly. So what have been some highlights for you? Because this is a chance for us to try some beers that we can't get on the West Coast at all. Well, today I did have something from, well, works there. Coconut imperial coconut was amazing. It's like 13 and 1/2 percent. And it had mo feel like a bureau I've never had before. I almost felt like I was drinking pudding. Um, but yeah, that one was delicious. I actually just enjoyed a quadruple i p a. That weighed in at 15%. It was definitely a standard as well. I I'm amazed it. I couldn't taste this much booze in it, as you would expect for a 15% beard. But I mean, really is just It's for me. I'm gonna walk up. We'll try. Some goes, is I'll try some fruit beers. I'll try some bullshit has had a delicious Cole's cross a few Berries off the bucket list and just enjoy it like a cent for what it is. We've just had some great beers over a dry dock to which is a favorite of mine. Yeah, definitely. They just cracked ah, barrel aged imperial Russian stout, and it was 12 and 1/2 percent. And wow, like that beer It was one of those ones where I actually had to samples of it because it was just that good. Really good. It's great to see you, man. Yeah, you too, buddy. I'm here with another pot gasser. Uh, who are you, sir? My name's Chris Lewicki. I'm the host of Pub Cast worldwide. The show where what and where we're drinking is just as important as what we're talking about. I know you're a podcast because you touched my Mike. Exactly. Exactly. Yeah. No, I I know the ins and outs. That's especially in a noisy environment like we are here in right now. The great American Beer Festival. Right. So, uh, how's your podcast doing? Like, How long have you been running? So Yeah. Good question. So I've been podcasting about two years now. I recorded the first episode on October 27th 2016 in San Francisco, and now we're just about a month out from that. So almost at the two year mark, Right? And how's it going like, has the response been response? Have been great. I mean, it's opening up a lot of doors. You know, the unique thing about the show is I don't just interview brewers. I interview like musicians, B list celebrities, interesting people, travelers. Really? Whenever I'm traveling around the world, whether that's in Australia or London or somewhere in California where I live, I'm looking for the best bars and Berries. Do an interview with unique people that have a great story, Right? And is this your first time here at the festival? Second time, actually. First time doing media here. Last time I was here, just trying to get a lay of the land and by get a lay of the land, I mean, get pretty buzzed and have a good time. But it's a great event. I mean, we've got over 800 breweries here this year. Over 4000 beers is the biggest it's ever been. You can feel the energy like we're doing this interview in like the middle of a crowd of people right now, like we're in Brewer's row, actually, where we're doing this where you could beat the Brewers. So as any brewery stood out for you so far, Wow, you know, one thing that jumps to mind, I'll answer this question two ways. So some of the changes I've seen this year with the Cast Mates program with Jamison, where there's essentially an area specifically dedicated to barrel aged beers. You know, when I come here, there are a lot of great bruise from across the country. But I always make sure I picked, like, 12 or so that I'm really excited about rent house from Arizona's top of my list that I haven't been over there yet. Night shift up in New England's a great one. Some favorites When I was living in Texas like 81 you're brewing. They're just view that jump out that I'm always really excited to see your show. All right, well, thank you so much for the chip. Cheers, man. Appreciate it
Speaker 2: At the Great American Beer Festival. It is a wide range of people, new breweries that have only opened in the past year, others that have been around five or six years. And then there are the true landmarks in the berry industry.
Speaker 1: I'm Garrett Oliver and I'm brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery and Brooklyn. You guys air quite an influencer because we get your stuff out on the West Coast a lot and really loved beers. I'm so my question for you really is. Where do you see the industry at the moment, And where do you think we need to go? Well, I think you know, we're in a moment of, ah, great evolution where Ah, I mean, if you were here 15 years ago, what you would have seen was something which was at least somewhat fringe. Now we see craft beer become the mainstream in a certain way. Ah, lot of craft beer drinkers are still drinking industrial beers as well. But you know, we're becoming the norm rather than the exception. I think that's Ah, that's a great thing you're seeing a lot of evolution of, Ah, whether you agree with the names or not like i p a. Stiles or things that people are calling I P. A's lots of sour beers, lots of barrel aged beers and really showing off the breadth of what beer really is. And if somebody was to open a brewery in this atmosphere now, what would be some advice that you could give them? Well, think of what it is that you really want to do, and that you feel you can do better than anybody else and then bring it. And bring that. And only that because you're in AA market with 7000 other brewers, You know, if you're gonna show up, you better mean it. All right, Well, thank you so much. All right. My name's Robin Brower. Soon to be Robin Webby Webby Brewing. All right. And you mentioned that because last year you had a pretty big event here, have a great American beer festival. I did. We want our first metal. We took a silver in the Munich style dunkel category Dark lager. And we won the silver medal for Moon Door dunkle. And we got engaged on stage at that moment by Beyonce. Now, um, dropped to one knee and proposed it was a total surprise like, changing paradigm shift in mind. So I still have clapped for you last year. So thank you so much. I don't think we stopped screaming for, like, a week. So you're actually a Washingtonian, right? I am from the just north of Seattle area with high school in Seattle. All right. And so what brought you to Colorado? The sunshine, the skiing, the climbing, mainly outdoor recreation, which is a little twist of sunshine. Know what Washington not offer at the time. What's your brew real about? What do you guys focus on? We've craft really tasteful modern loggers. Me do a traditional German style and approach we lager and horizontal La Goring tanks. But all loggers, no ales at all. And then how have you been received in your community? It's been really different. We've been actually, I think they always say one of the best forms of flattery is when when people maybe take some of those ideas and incorporate them into their own breweries are. And we ever seen a lot of that transition kind of happening and neighboring series of ours, they're starting to make loggers and rather's and uncles. And so it is really exciting to see a couple Videoton I p. Els as well. And it's a really nice twist, a clean approach to the i p. A. Really well received. So this day to the awards air tomorrow obviously you're not gonna get engaged again. But like, uh, how many beers do you have entered in the competition this year? We entered six and we did a pro am. We did a collaboration and impeded four of our flagships all right. And then you want the uncle t get something again? Is that what you're holding out for? That would be awesome. It would be great to get upgrade that silver to a gold. I think you have to take home anything would be an honor, and it's one of the largest competitions over for us. It's it's really nerve wracking. I think we've had our tummies and knots all week, so I've trying a couple of beers. They're fantastic, and it's great chat with you. Thanks so much awesome. Thank you so much. My name is Paul Mahoney and I'm the head brewer and launch peppery and launchpad is located out of Run Aurora, Colorado, out by Buckley Air Force Base. And so that has something to do with the neighboring just a little bit. So what do you guys tend to focus on at the brewery? We're gonna focus on standard classical styles everything from German coal shoes, and have a nice farmhouse style. Cezanne's all the way down Thio, New England I p. A's milkshake I p A's barrel aged out. You got no movement of everything, including sours. If you guys want a couple medals last year, right? We want a medal at J B. F last year for our cherrywood session smoked porter. And then we also won a World Cup bronze for Well, all right, the awards air tomorrow. How many beers do you have entered? We have five total in competition. We have four for the office. Everybody got for this year. We have one in collaboration as well. All right. And, uh, what is a beer that you're pouring here that you're really proud of? I'm definitely really proud of the Peacekeeper Porter has done well for us taking home some hardware, so hoping it does it again. Um, probably my favorites. The Cape Canaveral key lime pie stays on springs back to home. Yeah. No, that was That was really great when I had it. Uh, you brought that out last year, right? And, uh, yeah, it was so good. Yeah, we had it last year. And, uh, kind of in speaking the recipe, we actually change styles or, uh, at the actual based on which ain't styles for Well, what injury is gonna be in this year's? See how it does. All right. Well, best elective are appreciated. Andrew Shelton. I'm with high sign brewing, and I'm the head brewer there and out of Austin, Texas, right? That's correct. How long you guys been open? A man. We're coming up on our second year in March, right? And what do you guys focus on? Like, What's what's your beer specialty? Obviously, we focus on beer more specifically. Right now, we're focusing in on ideas. And then right now we're kind of exploring kind of some of the fruit additives and stuff as well. So how is the Austin, Texas seat? Oh, the Austin, Texas seem It's growing. It's amazing. There's always more Berries open up almost every month. Now it's Ah, it's pretty fascinating. So you're coming up to two years? Is this your first time? Boring At the festival, this section My second sign last year, I was very fortunate. That high sign wanted Booth in the lottery, and this time we had such a great year that we're actually one of the sponsors. All right, well, thank you so much for your time. Your beers? They're fantastic. Yeah. I'm Murray Kemper. I'm owner and general manager of checking up Brewery and friends of the podcast. And here we wait. Here we are again at the Great American Beer Festival. Uh, how many years is now? Well, we nest year. The first year we open, we didn't have enough beer to go. That was, too. That's the name. So choose as nine re entered the contest for the first time. We want smaller public the year with all lager beers. Nobody does that. So it was quite a feat. And then two years later, we were that a small brewery, only one small brewing company of the year. 2011. And then we weren't able to get in and 2013 because we didn't sign up fast enough. And then that was the only time we've missed since 2009. So I think this is what a Maybe this is our eighth. Ta bl. I think so. Yeah. Somebody else is doing the math. Not so. Okay. My mom around? So how was the production facility going down in Burlington? Oh, yeah. We opened that facility and we just room six more taints down from our north, not location. Took a while for Weldon. Hook them all up. Well, the brewmaster and never all hooked up so Now we'll be upping up the production and right now just this. Sure, it's only about 4000 were still very, very small. But next year it'll be more like 5000 or maybe six thousands. And then, you know, that facility has a turn of open space around it. So we have all kinds of big ideas. And what does this festival mean to you? Well, you know, we please. In the Craft Brewers Association, we believe that really craft beer in America would not be what it is today without their help. And so that's why we come a CZ, often as we can to the Great American Beer Festival because we are supporting the Crabbers Association, we believe in them. We believe what they're doing is a great thing for craft beer in America. And this is night number two, the awards air tomorrow morning. So best of luck tomorrow, thank you very much. It's always a little bit racking, but you know well, if we don't get it, we don't get it. We believe we make great years. It's just a re confirmation that we do make great beers when we get in a word. So Yeah, thanks, but it's great to see everybody down in the hole, so I'll see you down there tomorrow. Really fun. Yeah, for sure. See you tomorrow. All right. Thank you.
Speaker 2: And I'm happy to report that shock and had very won gold for their dunkle and silver for their hellis at this year's Great American Beer Festival. Now, outside of the Great American Beer Festival, there is also the satellite events that are going on. Denver is a big place and there's lots happening, but I was lucky enough to go to the Dogfish Head party that was happening at the Falling Rock. Taphouse.
Speaker 1: My name is Chris Black. On the other, the Falling Rock Taphouse. My business title is King, right? But that's, uh, with a lower case K. Because that shows humility. Yeah, you're not in the eyes of the magistrate. Oh, no, no, no. Yeah. All right. So how long is falling Rockman open? Ah, little over 21 years. We opened up in the summer of 97 to start 22nd. Great. Make up your bed. Right? And what does falling rock mean to Denver? Well, I'd like to think that it means it's kind of like the epicenter for great beer. We don't rule anything. We just serve everybody else's stuff. We're a Taphouse. I've been involved in the custody and craft bring industry for 35 years. I decided to open up my own favorite place to hang out ever, right? Next to course. Feel too? Yeah, that didn't hurt either. We're really lucky to find this location. It's where half a block from home plate for Coors Field. So we get some really good foot track for the baseball games. Ah, lot of people who love baseball love really good beer and wine kind. Get out of the kind of quotes, sports, far time mentality and whatever the cheapest beer thing is, they love coming in here before and after games. We get a lot of profit with that, but the other thing that I built it here for is we're only about 15 blocks from the convention center where the great American beer pistols out every year. Who's kind of a nice way of getting both those sex? Because I just saw a need in this community because prior to us, opening up people's idea of what to do for great maker Beer Festival was hang up the banner out in front of their bar saying buckets of Sam Adams for $10 I was kind of like, You know, if I just put on some really cool beers people show up for that and they're not worried about just the cheapest beer that they could get ahold of because, like tonight we're here a special event. You got the tap trunk? Yeah, I have my own draft trailer I put out in the parking lot. If you there's noticed a noise in the background, it's Ah, Miles Davis's bitches brew is baked playing underneath the tent that we have put up here because we just turned on Sam Calagione ease Dogfish Head would age bitches brew, which just came out a couple of weeks ago. So we kind of centered the promo around this album and that beer and so like, are you officially a free house? Then? Yeah, we would definitely be like one of the ultimate pre houses around this area, right? So have you had something from every state on tap at one point at one time in your existence? Not quite. There's quite a few states in the southeast that we have not had represented A C uh, we haven't had anything from Alabama or Mississippi. Uh, we have had Georgia. We've had North Carolina definitely have not had South Carolina. But, I mean, we're probably somewhere around 42. 42 states represented so far, right? So what state do you think is the kind of the breakout state this year in terms of beer? You know, I don't know. It's getting a little tougher these days because so many places it going and done things like North Carolina kind broke out about 34 years ago and started putting out some absolutely amazing thing. Unfortunately, that attracted a lot of attention that maybe if you're really a craft brew van was not maybe the most welcome, you know, And then California has always been a hot bed. Then you get into, like the Oregon and Washington sub. Colorado has been crazy. The Northeast got hot last, like, 67 years, also with Maine and and New England and stuff like that with the hazy, I be a self right s. So I'm from the Pacific Northwest, So I have to ask you what is a favorite from Washington and once a favorite from Oregon for you? Well, right now from Oregon, I am absolutely in love with John Harris is here from ecliptic. I've known John since 1999. He's been We've had dinner together in my house. We do stuff. My wife and John and I did a collaboration brew last year for our 20th anniversary, and we did on the 40th the anniversary of the worst dressed up, which is, you know, absolutely dear. In my heart I missed on every day. He and I were like, really good friends. Did some traveling together. So we decided to do a brew on that day. So there was a good excuse. Also first go the 40th anniversary party, and we just had an amazing day hanging out together that there's also a couple others that I'm really, really high on right now. Like I love what Christians doing over at at Wilson People and then the other Christian over at, of course, Hub that So we just had some of ah hubs beers. On this week, he was able to get us a little bit of self fair. That was a lot of fun. And I love what they're doing. You know, their whole theme of the bicycles, and, you know, not not using cars or something. That really a lot of fun. And I just really enjoy that kind of seven in Washington state. I've really been kind of enjoying quite a few. The the breeze I've gotten lately, and I'm just really kind of like grain courting. It's kind of late at night right now. I mean, let me throw one out there. Probably Rubens, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That was a really good one. Yeah, on then. Ah, hometown favorite. Mind chucking up checking. That's awesome, man. Hey, let's see if I could go three for 33 months, three months, Making some really nice views we had we had lush on about two weeks ago. We just got a second check of it. That, uh I think right now it's eight days old. Can't get any fresher than that. Get any better than that? I mean, I think they were on it did have its own seat on the plane to get out here, and it was like I think they were holding up the truck waiting to load that tag on there. Thank you so much for your time. Really? Absolutely. Have a great night. Enjoy. J B. F. Yeah. My name is Sam Calagione IAM the CEO and founder of Dogfish Head Mood. And you've been a huge inspiration for me in terms of beer. I lived in New Zealand, got into home brewing, and I actually got your beer out in New Zealand and we get it quite regularly on the West Coast because my hometown is Bellingham. We get Elizabeth Station out there, we get stuff really fresh from you. So I'm a big fan of your Berries. Thank you were proud of what we're doing. A dog for sure. My question for you really is where we in the craft industry now. And where do you think we need to go In terms of growth? Thio just even spread more awareness for the consumer. Well, in the US right now, it's awesome that there's never been a better time to be a beer drinker or a beer maker. There's now over 7000 grabbers in America, and there's amazing amount of creativity brewing outside the right height. Ski boat bringing culinary ingredients in wood from the wine world and which is wonderful. But also we have a challenge because wine and spirits are growing faster. So here has to get shit together. Convince young drinkers that beard should be there, go to drink, even above spirits and wine. I mean, that's what you've done for day one with your off center nails, right? Like you really pushed the envelope of what beer can be. Yeah, we were the first. I think Murray in America committed to making the majority of our beers outside the right height school boat. That was in our business plan. It was true. And we were the smallest period America. That's true today we're a top 15 Murray in America. All right, where do you see the biggest growth in the industry in terms of the States? Because, I mean, you're in Delaware and, like, what's What's the competition like they're in terms of the other breweries. So, yeah, we're in a very small state. We have less than a 1,000,000 people in our state, but we're two hours from DC Baltimore in Philly. So it's a really nice hub to be a local brewery and and we're lucky that we are considered local and not just our state, but those cities. So we are growing double digits in her backyard, and that's necessary right now, all Berries across the country they distribute in two states or 20 states, they better make sure they're taking care of their home market before they expand. And what is the great American Beer festival mean to you? Means catching up with old friends? My high school friends you live out here aren't the bureau world, my brewer friends. So it's like a homecoming mixed up with the Super Bowl. So it's a Super Bowl, a beer. But it's like a homecoming for us. Wiley vets. And if somebody was to open up a brewery today, what would be some advice you could give them? Oh, I would say, uh, there's always room for another great brewery and every in every big town in America. As long as you do three things, you got to come correct with world class quality, consistency and, being well differentiated. Don't copy what other Berries they're doing. Fine year old niche and make it resonate with beer lovers. Thank you so much for your time. Really appreciate. You're my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing this big. Thank you to Sam for his time. Really appreciate it On the final day of the Great American Beer Festival. It was just nuts, but I was fortunate enough to speak with a few breweries representing Cascadia, who took home some metals. Bolt
Speaker 1: Minister, owner and Brewer, 54 40 brewing in Washington, Washington. And where is wash Kugel? Why? Sugar is just a little bit outside. Portland, Oregon. We're just about 10 minutes east of Vancouver, Washington USA and, uh, 20 minutes outside of Portland Airport. All right. And you've had a big day today. Here's a fun day today. What? What did you come home with? S So we got the silver for German style Koelsch. Right? And how proud of you for that. It's good. Uh, Cascadia is the beer and I disappear that I loved a brew and love to drink the most. So good. Right? And how many categories did you enter? We get her in four categories. Yep. Alright. Go also. Congratulations coming over the metal. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm with good life. Are you doing doing pretty well today, man, that's for sure. You've had a big day. What happened to you? Well, we wanna consecutive gold medal with our American Pale, weak, sweet as today. So two years in a row, right? Yeah, back to back. Two years in a row is awesome. Congratulations. Thank you very much for pretty stoked about this. So pretty happy. All right. And if somebody wants to come down and visit you, where can they find you? And what do you all about? Were located in Beautiful Bend, Oregon, all right, in the central part of the state. So just ask around town, they'll tell you how to get us.
Speaker 2: There was one brewery in particular that really caught my attention this year of the Great American Beer Festival. They had something pretty unique, and it was very delicious.
Speaker 1: My name is Melissa Priest. I'm one of the co founders of the referent beer blundering. I'm James Priest. And I am also want to co founders into guess Blender at the blundering. All right. And when did you guys start? Eh? So we started in early 2016 R tasting room officially opened at the end of 2016. There's obviously a largely time with these long aging beers to get enough beer mature enough to serve, you know, to the public in our tasting room. Also coming up in December, this will be two years open and Jason Room. So how did beer find you? Yeah, I moved to Maine. And what was that early Wait 2010 with nothing else to do but join Melissa and her senior year and May and then that I started working at Baxter Brewing Company right when they started up. Very serendipitous, with out job applications from which way. But Yeah, I went to school in Boulder, found Beard that way. But then I found my way into the beer industry. Is that serendipity of being right next to a brand new young upstart craft brewery there? But you guys have a really defining characteristic to your brewery, which is really unique. What is that? So everything that we do is 100% spontaneously fermented, which means that we're never adding cultured Easter bacteria ever. It's all. All of our beers are fermented with ambient yeast and bacteria from the air that come in during the natural cooling process. After we brew. We pump our warrant out into our cool ship, which is just a giant shell. Oh, stainless steel pan. We, uh, open it up to the cool winter air, and we let it cool naturally overnight. And during that process, we have wild Houston bacteria that float in and settle on the warrant. We then bring that back to our barrel seller, and we put that into oak barrels and then just with them for men usually start between one and seven days after reed pump aboard into the barrels and let them ferment for months. Two years. And you said this cool ship is mobile, right? It iss yes. Uh, right. Just in the back of a big old box truck, 26 plate feet, maybe 28 feet. And I can never remember their 26. Yeah, and we do that because we don't have a house. So we broke through locally at other Berries, and so are cool. Ship kind of can accommodate different batch sizes ranging from 10 up to 40 barrels, so that allows us to brew it kind of any brew house in that range that's willing to basically do these long, long Gru days with us of turbine mashing and long boils and a longtime cooling. So you're at the Great American Beer Festival. Is this your first time serving here? It's my technically second time served years here, once a flying dog like five years ago, maybe, but definitely first time as a prorated first time is yet boring. Everyone all spontaneous beer and yeah, showing everyone what that's about and what's the response been? We've been really encouraged by the response. It's kind of difficult beer to explain. Not everybody knows what spontaneous fermentation is, and so we've been doing a lot of vegetation back here. But people have been incredibly receptive, willing to listen to my very launch feels eso. I've been grateful for that, and people have yet been enjoying the beers, it seems. And how could people learn more about you? So we have a lot of information on our website. James's written up a lot of nice overviews about kind of how this process works, kind of how the biological process works, what our methods are. Yeah, I would say that's the best place. Or come out to our tasting room where we're happy to talk with you for a long, long time about anything you want to know. Thank you so much. Both of you for your time. Really appreciate it. Very, very delicious. Beer's Thank you. Thanks so much. Thanks for having us
Speaker 2: now. I'm at the Great American Beer Festival. So imagine my surprise when I saw a Canadian brewery on this floor.
Speaker 1: Jim Dodd's vice president operations red truck for your company. And you guys are friends of the podcast at Vancouver. But you've just opened in Fort Collins. Yeah. You know what? We're really excited about being down here. This is, uh this is cool. And, you know, being here at the Great American Beer fest is even cooler. So it's We're glad to be part of this, and we're really excited about being here. So it's you know what? It's a ton of fun, great beers. And again, we're looking forward to being part of it. Also, has the reception been in Fort Collins? You know what? It's been really good. We're very happy. We're hoping to open in May. But we didn't get open until towards the latter part of August. Would've liked have been there right through this summer. But you know what this is? Ah, Journey, not a destination. So you know what? It's gonna take some time and whatnot. But we've been well received, and you don't have an 18 beers on tap. And in all different flavors and styles and kinds and whatnot. It's You know what? It's really cool. It's a life or Collins. You know what we believe that, you know, we looked at a lot of other places in the U. S. And, you know, we just fell in love with four cones and knowing that it is the hotbed for craft beer in America, you know, why not just jump right into the deep end and the defense got no water? You know what I mean? It's like we're going in head first. So you know what? Our brand we feel really resonates on the east side of the of the Rockies all about outdoors music. You know, we're big into the bike scene and whatnot, and yeah, we're just Once we came here were like we fell in love with the place, and it's a great spot. And you know what, Colorado? As a hole. Just a great state to be and be part of. And this is the second night of the festival. How is the reception for you guys last night? Yeah, last night. It was really good. You know, it's we have our truck and trailer here, and, uh, you know, it's definitely stands out. And that's what we wanted to do. Was create a little bit of an impact and, you know, let people know that we're here. So it was really good last night. We're really looking forward to tonight. Expecting, obviously, was a big crowd here tonight, and same with tomorrow, So yeah, we're really excited about it. Thanks so much for your time. Hey. Absolutely. You've got? Yeah, I'm Sean Sides, and I'm the head brewer at Red Truck here. USA. Right? Right truck, Beer, USA. Because yet is a Canadian company. So how did you get involved with red Track? I actually worked for the company. They were in the process of purchasing the brewery building from, you know, over the course of about eight months or so into being friends with him and find out of nowhere they re job with an offer. Easy, very easy. Very easy to get along with. Justin's a great guy, and it's been pretty awesome being able to work with these guys and working with Justin specifically. So I mean, you have recipes from the Vancouver facility. Do you get to craft some of your own recipes as well? Yeah, absolutely. Uh, these guys have been wonderful because they realize that the market is just a little bit different. So we kind of had a long discussion about what brands we thought would do well here, and we decided to bring those downs. So there's some sort of continuity, but the other recipes are mine designed for sensitive in the floor of a market where I grew up in. I have been drinking beer my entire life. So you have a talent for it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So what's a favorite beer of yours to make right now I'm really liking the black lager on generally loggers in general, I like to brew what I like to drink, and I like to drink, you know, three or four years at a time. So a lot of it ends up being some lower alcohol, larger stuff, which kind of doubles is fun because it is the most difficult to brew. It makes me feel good that we can pump out, you know, consistent, clean loggers. All right. Well, congratulations. And, uh, glad to see that you guys have a great reception here at the festival. Absolutely. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I just want to say thank you so much to everybody for their time. Really appreciate it. I mean, is the great American Beer Festival schedules air tight? It is just insane for those few days where everybody piles into Denver. It was great meeting a lot of new breweries. It's great seeing old friends again and can't wait to return, hopefully next year. And if you enjoy this episode, police feel free to share this episode. And we really appreciate gets this podcast into as many years as possible. Also that subscribe button in your favorite podcast app. Or leave us a review wherever you listen to podcasts. If you really like this show, we'd really appreciate your support by heading over to patri on at patriot dot com foreign slash cascadian beer where you can support this podcast series. Where is a little as a dollar an episode? If you want to check out more episodes including my previous episode on the Great American Beer Festival 2017. You can do so by heading to our website at cascadian dot beer on Don't forget to follow us on our social media channels as well on Instagram at cascading Your podcast on facebook dot com. Forward slash cascadian beer and I'm on Twitter at Cascadian Beer. Thank you so much for listening. I really appreciate it. And I know this episode in particular was a little bit different. But thanks for sticking around. And until next time, remember, support your local.