Speaker 1: This episode of the Cascadia beer podcast has been made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty Leave inspired at BCAleTrail.CA We move forward with our creative goals, but most of the time with a reference to the past. Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm Cascadian. In this podcast series I profile the unique breweries of Cascadia. A region that has a strong presence on the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bio region in the Pacific Northwest on the North American continent. It's made up of the U. S states of Washington, Oregon, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia. If this is your first time here or you've been enjoying this podcast series for awhile, I sure hope that your subscribed in your favorite podcast app it doesn't cost you anything. And you'LL never miss an episode. I'm in the neighborhood of Vancouver BC known as Yeast Van, just celebrating their fourth birthday Off the rail is a brewery that has been sticking to traditional recipes. Yet they're not afraid to experiment from time to time to create some do classics. My name is Steve Forsyth, and I suppose I'm the owner operator of Off The Rail.
Speaker 2: My name is Mike Evan, I'm brewer and operations for production
Speaker 1: Sweet and we're at off the rail. Where does that name come from? Now the name comes from our stint or my stint. I guess at the railway club for many years in my past history. So when we were looking for a name for the brewery, I sat down and had a a round table discussion with a few people. And someone just said, Well, where's your history? And obviously twenty years at the railway club was a history, and he just came on set off the rails, you know, in which we, of course, shortened toe off the rail company. And it kind of makes sense because where we located in Vancouver at the moment, But we're kind of close to the port to write is the kind of a tie right here, E, I suppose that year there could be it was always a tie if you want there to be one. But, you know, realistically, we're close to downtown. We're close to tracks. Either side, all sides. Pretty much so. Okay, let's say there's a tie. Okay, So when did you open your doors, then?
Speaker 2: Well, we opened it. It was a temporary fifty in two thousand fifteen. So coming
Speaker 1: up was that four years, Four years? Four years. This weekend in that time, then, like what was it? What was it like when you opened your doors on day one like it was was the community's response.
Speaker 2: When we opened for the public, it was we'd already sort of hashed out. How things were going to work is Stephen. I started assembly the August Prior right, so we started bringing that January and there's some problem solving some bug fixing and but the time that will be in February, we had a full line of taps, but it was a little bit easier to go in that way. No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was beautiful of four years in a row, three years in a row. We've had beautiful weather for our anniversary, so we've been unfortunate that way. I think it went pretty smooth. I think a lot of people were looking forward to it. You know, we were obviously just down the street from Bomber to who's got their fifth anniversary at the same time, eso is starting to create a bit of an area already for people to come and try and you beer. So we're in the right right spot. It's so like off the top, you had to you know what brewery number you are to open in Vancouver at that time.
Speaker 2: No idea. And I think that we've fallen to what Blair refers to as a third wave, probably because the first wave was parallel right for people bringing equipment from overseas. So parallel started and then they had lots of problems. But their first round of gear and then bomber got fromthe same then that's a little better than then. We were the third wave and ours was pretty good because they keep on improving every every time. But since then there's been probably four or five more like they're opening a monthly
Speaker 1: and there's and there's definitely some waiting in the wings of cinema seems to be a So what's the size of the big house down there? Two thousand litres. Alright, cool. And that's obviously expanded since day one to something in the room. Stay the same. Well, I mean the capacity for the tax for fermentation wearing capacity we've got We've got two new six, not new anymore, but we had to had to six thousand leader tanks in fermentation tanks to Teo kind of up up the level of it. All right, go. And then my favorite question Mike is. How did beer find you?
Speaker 2: It Ah, long time ago meant it was. We started a za cleanup kid and a little berry in London when I was, like, seventeen and stuck. It's one of only jobs you get that would allow you take a lot of time off because I was doing other things at the time, But And when I moved here in the early nineties, I just started. I was running a burning cats full time, and then that place closed down because the rent. And then I ran another one for twelve something years. And then Steve approached me. And I've been here since then,
Speaker 1: right? And then have to be refined you, Steve. Well, I suppose it I I've I've found beer as a very young man. Ah. Then throughout the years, I guess the railway club kind of helped me to sculpt a taste for certain types of year. So, yeah, it's It's been long in my history, I guess you could say. And so then what was the driving force than toe open your own bird? I think the main thing. Well, one of the main things I mean, when I When we stopped the railway club where we sold the railway club, I started Ah hot farm went from a hot farm, started making beer excited extra hops. Turned out that I thought the beer was good. Andi, I have two of you. You know, you always have to trust your own judgement with beer. Everybody's different on DH So I started. Once out, point reached. Then I decided I would put together a business plan to start a brewery, and my wife gave me my blessings. And here we are, right. I'm in conversation with off the rail. I just wanted to take a moment to thank the BC Ale Trail for making this episode possible. Because Vancouver's craft beer scene has exploded in recent years, and with thirty breweries within the city limit, it could be pretty daunting to even know where to begin to explore. Thankfully, the BCL trail has he covered with the Vancouver Ale Trail on the website of BCL Trail dossier. You'LL find recommended itineraries for each region of the province, a comprehensive list of every craft brewery, NBC, a calendar with beer events and a blogger with lots of great stories. The regional ale trails include local breweries, pubs and restaurants, along with other activities the area has to offer. So whether you're planning a weekend trip or being a tourist in your own backyard, let the BC able trail guide you to your next big adventure. Arrive thirsty. Leave inspired the BCL trail dot c a. All right, let's jump back into the conversation with off the rail. So what? What are the typical styles that you tend to focus on?
Speaker 2: Steve and I both agree that we like toe do things. Traditionally, Azad remain sort of set up for beers like the parallel the EPA in Pilger Logar. They're very true to style faras like this classic English style pal, and it's made, you know, it's not like a lot of you find it's it's true to its style. Outside of that, we we do all the different things, like we've done everything from, Well, I think it's what we won't do. It sours. Everything else is on the table so
Speaker 1: way. Yeah, you know, I think I think Mike's right. We do traditional style beer. We obviously are doing a pretty good job at our English style Ayles committing brewing words tell us that if we, you know, loved Pipe's too obviously love American I Pa's different types coming out now You know more these days, and we just you know, really, it's, I think both might have a passion. I really passing for brewing what we consider a good beer. You know, that's always subjective, but but the beer's always important thing Here. It's we're not about anywhere about our own beer culture and sharing that with people. I don't consider us trendy considers traditional. That's kind of what we do. I mean, one beer off the top of my head. For me, that kind of stands out. That I'm quite familiar with is the one with lemon grass and the rocks. Yeah, Iraj. How did that? How did that come about?
Speaker 2: Well, Raj is through Ah, on this the space behind us. The other side of the alley
Speaker 1: Rogers a man, any stadium man who became a good friend of ours.
Speaker 2: Hey, was when we were building the place. He was always there to help with the forklift or just let him put stuff in his warehouse or good neighbor. Campy, A really, really good guy and way ask him we could do it in the forum and he just kind of made a joke about, I don't know, just name of beer after me, and then Steve went are indeed up the the rush match with, like, lemongrass and lime leaf in it, and it didn't take a lot of extra tweaking. So we put a big scale, put a label together in the whole back story, then got his is okay with it, you know, super happy with it.
Speaker 1: And I want a gold medal with it.
Speaker 2: And it won a gold medal. And he he kept an empty and his delivery van for like a year, showing all his friends and his clients and stuff this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Remember at one point he had relatives here from from India and he says, Steve bought me a bottle of that. So I pulled out a couple of bottles of the Raj and he shows it to his relatives and they all start laughing and he points to the picture on, and he says, Hey, that's me very, very proud. Very proud of his beer. Then are there any other neighborhood beers that you've made?
Speaker 2: We do that? Use Finn collaborators. That's we've done two of them. Now, this year I was hosted by By Bomber and the year prior that it was hosted by a coal harbour. We've done those.
Speaker 1: We're supposed to be a collab with mom or just the two of us. But we haven't. We haven't done it yet. We're just right crossing. Right. And just just right across the street and, uh, yeah, yeah, it will work out at some point.
Speaker 2: We will get it done. It's just it's timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there a beer pipeline between your very houses to make this collaboration and Yeah, yeah, yeah. We can't tell you where it is. Like across the street. Yeah, eso in terms of where we're going from here. Are you guys kind of happy with size in the moment? I mean, you do have some bombers, are you Canning is their growth and the packaging line. I thought I think I'll feel this this one because I think that we're you know, we're four years in now. Obviously, we love to see you see ourselves at capacity. We're not a capacity we can still broom, or we don't have to move anywhere We don't have to expand. I like some other breweries, are doing where I think we'll be fine once we hit that capacity and we'Ll just keep putting out the beer we're putting out on a larger scale. We do can we've got a accounting line, a portable canning line from cask that's perfect for our size bombers were keeping, and we're actually getting on with the three fifty five mil bottle business. Okay,
Speaker 2: they're keeping tall bottles six fifty's we're keeping talk hands and then threw thirty five mil cans is going to be the formats were going to use
Speaker 1: and then, like distribution is Ah, we're pretty wide across the city in terms of you on tap and, you know, establishment. Yes, I think so. I mean, we would also like love to have more listings with the BC Liquor Control Board, and we're working on that all the time. But we've got a lot of really great faithful clients, which is great. It's just you're happy at this level and just it's it's comfortable and it's sustainable right for you guys, you pretty much pretty much. Is it sustainable in terms of what we can do with the equipment we have in terms of product volume. We still have room to improve when we still have room to get bigger within our own facility. All right. Yeah. I think we could
Speaker 2: stand about twenty five percent girls without hitting without putting ourselves in a position where were frazzled, which I suspect we'LL see by March. But everything I've been here and I
Speaker 1: want to be friends. Well, I like frazzled. I don't Trouble's already fragile. So fear has really taken off your NBC. And, like, we were kind of, you know, I was kind of saying before him, like, I'm like, I went up north and, like, there's a lot of stuff up there now, like, just from your perspective of just seeing stuff in Vancouver. Like, how much is beer changed in the four years that you've been open? You think BC wise just just the four years? Yeah. Yeah, before that, I mean, we had a long we had a long way to go with just Teo, open a lot of doors, I think. You know, I compared to watching the state and in Oregon State, where we always had to go to get great beer. Things started to turn around here a bit, I think. And once the government opened up the doors for micro breweries and tasting rooms, it really took off. Now you know, a lot of restaurant tour is getting into the business because they can. I think it's a awesome time to be in our climate. If you will be a lover, I just There's so much to choose from a lot of great brewers in our community. Yeah,
Speaker 2: B She's definitely still kind of leading the pack. I think we represent. They go Last year at the cleaning Bring awards. It was in Halifax on all the awards handed out. I think that BC was home to over fifty percent of them, no, whereas the rest of problems was the other or the country was the other fifty percent. So we're still doing a pretty good job,
Speaker 1: and I mean, just not to get too political. But we need to get beer across the provincial lines. Teo other places, too. Don't be so.
Speaker 2: I thought that was up the levees in the surcharge
Speaker 1: and yeah, don't be nice. You know that me? That may happen. It has happened for somebody's already no eso in terms of, ah, going down this path of opening up your own Marie. What would be some advice you'd give somebody just getting into the planning stages on? I
Speaker 2: hope hindsight's awesome. I would suggest if anyone was considering to start one to talk to his many operators as they can, about what they would have done differently when they set up. Save yourself a lot of headache that way. I would also say that there's no point in going in on a brew house. It's anything smaller than seven. Barrels are eight. Hack was the same amount of time to make that much as it is to make two thousand years. So
Speaker 1: my advice, my advice would be get more money. Get bigger storage. So you have your coolers and speaking off the handle so you don't have to go off site with your storage and know you're no your production. Know what you're going to do Whether you're going to package whether you're just going to be a lounge where they're gonna be a brewpub, Know how you're gonna package and how you're going to sell your beer, Maybe take a part time job at City Hall. And ah, and whose inspiring you in the beer scene doesn't necessarily have to be in Vancouver. But, like who inspires you guys tow kind of stick out what you're doing or, you know, are different ideas that come
Speaker 2: up. There's so many great prayers now. I mean, there's, ah, I'm sort of thinking about the just across the border in the U. S. And there's such like this high quality happening down there, like, really, really exceptional. So I
Speaker 1: made my hometown of Bellingham there and across the line that they alone, they got, like, fifteen fantastic way have foreign fourteen berries there and
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's a couple everything I've ever had from, say, Pelican on Pacific City in Oregon has been that just a notch better than everything else. A ce faras, the smaller bruise. I can't think of any of top I have, but I've been to a whole bunch down there like it's that the names I don't remember, but,
Speaker 1: well, Fremont comes to mind. Yeah, I
Speaker 2: mean, some of them have been around a while. We found your bay and all that, but there's so much happening, and the people like pillage kind of changing the dynamics on the lake green Flash was it was one that comes to mind is faras When they first put out there the green flash up here, they kind of changed how we thought of a Pacific Western oppa. Yeah. So guys like that they're still changing, like to still cutting edge.
Speaker 1: I think they're way more experimentation going on now. I think some is terrific. Sum is, is not is terrific and, you know, kind of ti me. I liken beer to two food there or Brewer to a chef said, You know, you can do some things and you can mix and you can you can match. You can use new hops mixture grains, but it's gotta work. It's gotta work, you know, You make it once, and if it's not good, you don't make it again. So you really got you know, the experiment notation is fun again. We go back to what we do with traditional flavors that was in Czech Republic last year and just have the best bills and recall of my life. Thank you very much, gentlemen. And a happy birthday. Yeah, Thank you. Thank you. Big. Thanks to the guys at off the rail again. And happy birthday. Well, belated birthday now, it was just before their birthday weekend when I recorded this episode. So it's there. It's been their birthday now. So Happy birthday. Hope you enjoyed this episode of the cascading and your podcast. And I do hope you subscribed in your favorite podcast App doesn't cost you anything. And you'LL never miss an episode once you do that also, if you enjoyed this episode, please feel free to share until a friend you know you got that beer friend that hasn't listen to podcasts yet. They'd like to hear it. If you want to follow this podcast series on social media, you can by going to facebook dot com forward slash cascadian beer. I'm on Twitter at Cascadian Beer and on Instagram at Cascadian Beer Podcast. For more episodes and more info, you can go to the website cascadian dot beer. Thank you so much again for listening. I really do appreciate it. Your time means a lot until next time, remember, support your local