Speaker 1: This episode is made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty, Leave inspired at BCAleTrail.ca . If you hit a midlife crisis, what's the obvious choice? Buy a motorcycle? No! You get into brewing beer! Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm Cascadian. In this podcast series I high profile the unique breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence on the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bio region in the Pacific Northwest on the North American continent. It's made up of the U. S states of Washington and Oregon. As well the Canadian province of British Columbia. If you're enjoying this podcast series I really hope you're subscribed on your favorite podcast app. It doesn't cost anything to subscribe, and you'll never miss an episode. And if you enjoy the series please feel free to share with a friend, it really helps support and grow this podcast. You can also keep up to date by following us on social media at Facebook.com/cascadianbeer on Twitter @CascadianBeer and on Instagram @CascadianBeerPodcast . So in this episode, I was very fortunate to visit a beautiful part of British Columbia. I traveled Highway sixteen in the northern part of the province recently, and I made a stop in the community of Terrace. Sherwood Mountain is a brewery focusing mostly on laggers and has been quite successful in the local area. On a very busy Thursday afternoon, I sat down with Brewer and co owner Daryll Tucker. Daryl Tucker I'm the owner of Sherwood Mountain and Brewmaster . Alright And how long you been open for?
Speaker 2: Opened December nineteenth of twenty fourteen. So a week before Christmas, right? Good time to open a brewery if you Ah, I want to go in with a bang!
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah. And where are we? Where we located? And the
Speaker 2: points in the northwest part of the province. Terrace BC,
Speaker 1: Right on highway sixteen, Right, Right.
Speaker 2: On highway sixteen to yellow head highway and picture rate into Rupert. And from there in the island hided wire. Go to Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a beautiful drive coming out. I drove in from Smithers today.
Speaker 2: That whole drive from Prince George to the Prince Rupert, the highlighted Smither to Prince Rupert in my mind
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was beautiful. So how to be refined you
Speaker 2: Beer found me in, Ah, midlife crisis. I was forty four years old, and, ah had just had a good run with a local airline company of the marketing director in business development Guy and ah, looking for something different and ah, my partner and friend said, Well, why don't you be a brewmaster? And I thought, What the heck? The broom outside, I want a broom out through Just drink beer from that I just decided, you know, look into it and had a bit of an online brochure from the V l B, which is, ah, school in Berlin and, ah, some research. And it resonated with me and all beards a lot like cooking, making something. So I enjoyed cooking to him. I enjoyed beer. And then, of course, the other side of ah, a beard. You have to sell it and market it and put on events. So kind of that sort of been my history. Right? So it seemed like a you know, it seemed to have a good fit for me. Plus, I had the opportunity if I made the thing I'll go to Goto live in Ah, in Europe in Berlin for six months. And I didn't have any kids or a wife, so it didn't work out with me. That was going toe bomb. Yeah. You know, I went for
Speaker 1: it. Yeah. So? So you went over to Germany? Yeah, for I
Speaker 2: had to get a couple of years and I would never I don't have a home brewing background or anything like that business. And I was looking for an idea, and, like I say, resonated. So I went to Ontario a few a few summer back and forth from terrorists in the van and learned, Ah, the nuts and bolts of brewing at Lake Obeyed Brewing Company under ah, couple of good friends now and mentors. And from that, once they've got the experience and will still worked out, Ah, got accepted into the veil, be in Berlin and and made the trip over there. And I think it was Ah, twenty thirteen. I was there for
Speaker 1: that year, right? And then how long until you finish the course? And then I had this very open finished up the courts have
Speaker 2: done. At the end of June twenty thirteen what went backto Ontario and embedded with the folks and family and did another, but a month it like a bass brewing. And then, ah, and then Thanksgiving came, and I was kind of make a decision. So I had a house here, but I wasn't quite sure if you know, if I had it for him, for the business. But I had a couple of job offers in the brewing world, but it kind of stuck to my gun and ah came back to terrorists and we put a business partner, Parker, Linda Parker. We put pen to paper in January twenty fourteen. Got the place secured in March, ordered up the machine machinery and,
Speaker 1: ah, we're open like I say for December, Right, man, that's That's actually quite a fast turnaround, considering some other berries. Yeah, I look at
Speaker 2: some of the stuff down in the bigger mainland area, and I kind of, you know, I count my blessings. That could re certainly the stars align for us. And the leasing on this property was favorable, so he didn't have a whole empty building waiting for months to get compliant or get accepted. And then we kind of, Ah, kind of just marched through. It kind
Speaker 1: of worked out well, All right. And was there another berry and terrorists at the time? Or like what? And you just wanted to open here because you lived here, right? That's right. I
Speaker 2: mean, there was no other burry in town. There is a bit of a history of you working with another group that wanted open a brewery. Ah, the skin of brewing company. But they couldn't. They're playing. Couldn't get four, move forward. So I kind of kept pushing forward on my own. And Ah, and Linda came on board with me, and away we went till we open our own space.
Speaker 1: And, ah, where does the name Sherwood Mountain come from? Well,
Speaker 2: sure. What Mountain is a bit of a bit of a story to itself. Basically, my last name. Tucker Soil. For a long time, I've been called talk and course, Friar, Tuck it Come into my end of my world over the years growing up on DA. But the truth was we're in. Ah, were in London after after schooling of Berlin that I spoke about, Parker came to visit me and we went over and traveled around Europe a bit on the way. We stopped in London and we went to a theatrical production called The Wicked Wicked and it's the story of the wicked witch and how her story was wrongly portrayed. And that kind of that show went on about that. And it got us thinking, I'm sure what and so sure Whitney and all the fire. He had another life. He lives, and we lived in the four for this friends over there. But in the off season he come Teo terrorist BC and the Coast Mountain Range and bruise beer. So yeah, the whole another. Ah, another half life
Speaker 1: here, all right. And that's why he's on the bottle, right?
Speaker 2: And that's why he's on the bottle. He's part of her part of our story. And then that the tie end of May to my dad as well. So there's a There's a couple of pieces that tie into the whole. Sure would think that's kind of a little more unique than justice. Just ah, something else like Sakina.
Speaker 1: Great. Yeah, I'm in conversation with Daryl Tucker from Sherwood Mountain, so I was really excited to visit Northern BC and It was my first time up there, and I was kind of wondering where to begin. Well, you know what helped the BC Ale Trail at the BCL Trail dossier, you'LL find the newly launched A ll trail for the northern BC, where you will not only get suggestions for what berries you should visit, but also pubs and local restaurants and other activities the area has to offer. And there are a lot of them while on the website you'LL find a comprehensive list of every craft brewery, NBC, a calendar with beer events and a blogger featuring the stories of B C's craft beer scene. So whether you're planning a visit or being a tourist in your own backyard, let the BCL trail guide you to your next beer adventure. Arrive thirsty Leave inspired at bcl trail dot c A. And thanks so much for supporting this podcast, guys. All right, let's jump back into conversation with Darryl had short mountain at the side of the bird house there and and who made it for
Speaker 2: us? We We opened up with a fifteen barrel to vessel brew hosts and ah made in biker Beller, North America, a Canadian company and the That's kind of where we were at. We really wanted to support Canadian companies that much as we could North American after that. So Ah, we ah, you know, we got our quotes in and ah, for us, Theo. The decision was made with two U's Carella equipment, so we started off with that to vessel brewhouse and three fermenter thirty barrel per mentors in a in a single thirty barrel bright. So
Speaker 1: that's our That was where we opened with that menu expanded since then.
Speaker 2: Since then, we've added a couple of more thirty thirty barrel for mentors. The single bright We've got two more forty five barrels coming this fall kind of get the production up. We recently added a while the goose scanning system tau our system plus a little machine to had filler so we can bolland cake now. So it's Ah yeah, good little system that
Speaker 1: we've got going in where he's sending that product to definitely
Speaker 2: were. The core of our business is right here out of the brew house. And then we're we stretch over to the hide Agwai, the Queen Charlotte Islands, Prince
Speaker 1: Rupert. It's actually the first place where I had your beer was on high to glide when I was
Speaker 2: that in that we're not all. There's only a handful of places that sell himto tossed him to here. You know, it's really, really exciting. Teo be able to sell in Heidi Quiet. Give me a good love going over there. But if you throw a little bit this into it, too, it's not much sweeter. The glide, the furthers west, obviously. And then we go all the way over to, Ah, Prince George and do some time runs herself. But our actual distribution stopped that cute in which of the other side of Smithers kid amount and then different seasons. We go up north and you know, from time to time people come through and take product down to other reaches. But that's not a regular regular stops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when do you first opened your doors? What was the community's response to you guys opening
Speaker 2: when we first opened the doors? Like I say with December nineteenth and the mean and you're building breweries and bringing in big tanks people, they're curious and watching and paying attention. And when we open the door or just Linda and I we kind of, you know, one day you have to just open. There's always more you, Khun D'Oh, no. Yeah, but we opened it up. It would shut before Christmas and nobody had a growler, You know, he knew what a growler
Speaker 1: was. Yet then did you have some? Instead, we
Speaker 2: had a lot of girls way ordered tons of growler, since I don't know I mean, they're starting to slow down now,
Speaker 1: but we've done a lot of
Speaker 2: growlers and and we still film every day regularly. When the doors opening with Let's crazy we ended up calling friends and family. We just couldn't couldn't keep up. So and that was kind of that whole whole Christmas trade up to New Year's. And there's a little bit of a reprieve on January two or three. But the interest was high that first year, so we kind of the barn doors were swung wide open away. We went
Speaker 1: right. Did you run out of beer? Didn't ran. I don't recall running
Speaker 2: out of beer. Hate running at a beer, and I don't try to do that very often. Court to run it a brand from time to time, we'd never physically not hot beer, right? Yeah. No, that's good. Can't sell often empty shelf that the body would say,
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. So where you guys going from here? He said. There's just a little bit of expansion coming. I mean, do you want to kind of just distribute Mohr amongst the province or like, what's with the plan? Well, we have to
Speaker 2: broom or beer because of the canning machine and that basically, those in the business, it's, you know, it's all about volume, and there you make a little bit off each six packs or whatever. So so right now, if we're just really trying to fill up the pipe from Guild buildup in inventory and with our, you know, our five vessels right now we have been over the Philip the pipe and get an inventory buildup. So really, with the next to it, just a matter of building up inventory and then maybe take on a few more accounts in our region. But I don't have any aspirations of going beyond Prince George anytime soon. I'm just kind of like doing what we're doing here, not necessarily off the radar. Faras further but a lot of great beer, NBC. So, yeah, you know, kind of keep her closer to
Speaker 1: home. So you're mentioning inventory there and how nobody had a growler in this town. So what are the styles that you focus on? And whatever he found has been kind of your most popular beer To make sure the local community
Speaker 2: for us? Well, hands down. We probably do more loggers and most BC bird. I'm not sure, but yeah, up in here we are the one that turns on the light. Daily is it's an easy drink and light Loggers four point seven percent alcoholic twelve fifteen I booze. It's Justin. Like I say, you could drink that one and still worked along Mauritz. But it's it's fit, the one that keeps flying. And then we did a I did in Munich logger behind that one. That kind of was a one off, and it just took off from people just want a little bit of color, and I'm just a little bit more flavor. But again, it's not a heavy hitter, and it's not a heavy I beg you and then my favorite, the pilgrim, because I why brew that regularly to, and that's a German. You know you're going to Germany, you gotta learn how to brew the pills or and this is the way they want you to do it. No, nothing, Right? Right. So that one and then we do a red ale that pretty popular, too. All right, And then we have two regular fleet of Ai pus and one offs and things like that browns.
Speaker 1: So if somebody was to come and visit you here, what are some of the other attractions outside of your berry and terrorist that people can enjoy?
Speaker 2: Well, I think what people find when they come to terrorist is when the you know when it's when it's a sunny day. It's stunning, stunning seeing the Coast Mountains and the you know, the drive. They're awesome for me and for a lot of people that come more recently, the young people that the outdoor lifestyle it's that Shane mountain skiing and the back country around here is awesome. Ah, skiing at a big thing and then court. There's a snowmobiling crowd, but internationally, people are are coming here mainly for the sport. Fishing of salmon, different Europeans like the hiking in the in the mountains and and that, But it's, Ah, it's a sport fishing for salmon over there, coming to terrorists on the, you know, on the they talk rubber tire traffic, people driving through here or coming. Either way, he's the west, west to east because they're jumping on the fairies either there going over to hide Agwai or they're heading up to Alaska or there going down Vancouver Island. You know, whatever direction they're heading, that you got the BC coach line here in the Alaska Coach lines So big World tourism destination that those places,
Speaker 1: right? If somebody's lying to go down the path of opening up their own bury what would be some device that you give him
Speaker 2: opening up a brewery? Jeez, I think Think where we re really? Ah, well, put us on. The right track is really taking the time to put together a decent and strong Did that plan and really trying to work out the volumes and the numbers as best you can. I mean, I was lucky in the fact that I worked in the breweries and we're you know, we're we're older folks, so to speak, so we kind of had some business experience behind us, and ah, and I had access to information that but that was it was It was a known thing when I was working out like a bee's a lake Obey that. I was going in for open a brewery. So they started shared some numbers, and I was able to see things firsthand. So if you get that practical experience and and and you Khun, work with the numbers, that's only going to help you in the long day.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thank you so much for your time. Like it's It's a busy day here, so I really appreciate you sin sitting down and chatting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you came. I'm going a little days. Everything just going on right now.
Speaker 1: Thank you. All right. There. Big, big, big Thank you to Darryl. Really appreciate it. I mean, it was a very busy day. I think something one of the pumps broke or something that day, and he and he took a minute out of his day to speak with me. And it was a very, very, very grateful it'd on DH. Yeah. I love their beers. Love what they're doing up there. I just wish I could get it down in the lower mainland more often. So I guess that means I'll have to go back and visit soon. Thank you so much for listening to this episode of cascading your podcast. I do hope you're subscribed wherever you listen to podcasts or you can go to the website cascadian dot beard. Find out how big thanks to the BCL Trail for also supporting this episode, check him out at the BCL Trail dossier. There's a lot of great stuff coming in the pipeline this year, so be sure to keep checking in website. And did you know they had a mobile app Now? Yeah, you can go download the BC Ale Trail happened Now the details are on their website BBC Ale trail dot C A. If you want to keep up with this podcast series, you can through social media. We're on facebook dot com for its last Cascadian beer on Twitter at Cascadian Beer and on Instagram at Cascadian Beer Podcast. For more information, follow this podcast theories. See, some shone out, see some photos of me and Darryl at the brewery had to cascadian dot beer. Thank you so much for listening. I really do appreciate it. And until next time, remember, support your local