Speaker 1: This episode was made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty, Leave inspired at bcaletrail.ca Dreams can be big and can even happen in a small community. Welcome to the Cascadian beer podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm the Cascadian. In this podcast series, I profile the unique breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bio region in the Pacific Northwest on the North American continent to made up the U. S states of Washington, Oregon, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia. If this is your first time listening to the podcast, welcome and I do hope you subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. Last summer, I was lucky to explore the northern part of our province, along Highway 16. I started my journey in Prince George, British Columbia. Trench Brewing and Distilling opened their doors in spring of 2018. In a little bit, I'll be chatting with their brewer, Paul, but I started the conversation off with one of the co- owners
Speaker 2: My name is Craig Schwenning I'm one of the co owners of Trench Brewing and Distilli Here in Prince George. And how long ago did this project start? You it started back. It's hard to say we were in a business event in August of 2015 and that's when we kind of decided that we wanted to do something and my wife was there. One of her team members was there, and her name's Bailey hopefuls, and she's now part of the part ownership here. We're all equal partners. It's her and her husband, Jesse, on de ster night. And so we decided back then that we want to do something, and by the fall we had picked, we want to do a BRI. I wanted to kind of get into the distilling side, so that's why we've we're going to do a Berry in distillery story coming soon, but And what was there much going on in Prince George at the time? At the time, there was no craft, very, and it was March of 2016. We were All of us were down in Mexico and there was the weekend of the Yale fest. It was crazy that weekend because we're sitting there, were looking on our phones and were like Holy Smokes. The black clover just opened this Irish pub in Prince George Holi and the Holy Smokes Crossroads Brewery is opening also. And there another craft brewery and they're they're open, actually, while a year before, over a year before us. Yeah, it's just it's a great place and that those things happened while we were out of town and we were like, well, down the path of planning this already right from
Speaker 1: there. What were some of the other
Speaker 2: challenges that you faced opening in Prince George? I don't I don't think really in Prince George are geographically, there's going to be challenges no matter where you are, especially in this industry. So ah, you have to deal with. There's a ton of licence is like it's like 15 or so licenses that you get in order to open up and then because we were doing this is still inside. Also, there's a big part of that. It was was involved in that the city was really good. The planning and development site is excellent, and then it. But a soon as you start getting into the different apartments that you have to deal with and different levels of government, like we're dealing with federal government next size tax, and we we deal with the provincial government and liquor control on DH. There's just processes for everything, and it just seems like just a gym with drag. And it would drag and it would drive. And there was always some little obstacle. So, you know, you just you get a big binder and you have all these sections in it, and you can't keep plugging away at it, All right? And that's I don't know what to say to the people out there who I plan on starting some like this. Just be patient. And, you know, everyone wants to see you succeed in everything, but they have to make sure it's all done right, and it just takes time, all
Speaker 1: right? And then So then why Prince George? I
Speaker 2: mean, did you grow up here that you'd moved here like Like, why was this the right place to open a brewery for us? That we were just I guess we were here and Prince Charge at the time. It didn't have anything. And I think back to the Buffalo Bree days, and that was like the glory days for me and Prince George's is before I moved off to Vancouver and it was actually operational while I was down living in Vancouver. And then it closed down. Yeah, it was It was a brewpub style, and it was the same as, like all those Mark James Group ones like Hell Town Buried Dix Pub, Avalon. Big Ridge. There is when those guys I hung out at those places on the Vancouver when I was living there, but I moved up to Prince George when I was pretty young on DH. I moved away in 1999 down to Vancouver, lived in North End and lived at the Avalon and then move back up in two thousand seven on DH. Yeah, and then we just I came back for two. Follow my wife, actually, because she had an opportunity to do dental internship here. And so she's a den surest here in town again, and I had was part owners in a family business, locksmith thing and security firm. And so I had a job to come to you, and that's that's how we got back here. And we started doing home brewing with Esther's cousin on DH. We built this little shad and we had, like we did drainage and concrete floors and control panels and my security background. All the little voltage experience ah, allowed us to, like, you know, make do all this stuff. And so we we had, like, a cool room. We had contacted her mentors like wind we would do were doing home brew at a level like we're doing. We would get about almost 38 gallons of finished product in one brew, right? So we go there and an evening five hours later, we got, you know, 42 gallons in the fermenter, right? And we were doing all grains stuff, and that's that was really what where the I had a passion for beer anyways, but that's where we started getting into this. And just he was along for that, too, because he's he was a friend of our family and with Esther's cousins also. And that's not that's not how it started. I mean this this a great place to live. There's tons, outdoor stuff. I mean, it's a smaller town. I sure don't miss those long commutes in Vancouver, you know, on DH and It's just it's It's a great place up here and two from me ableto have a craft very upin the Prince George and add that into the Prince George area. And now and, you know, with Crossroads also. And maybe we'll get some more here to pay my roots air really here and all my family's here. And you and Jessie. Now he's made a home for himself here, and he's got family. Here is well, so right. That's basically why were in Prince George and what? We're loving it though, right? Yeah. This is my first time here. And it's like, Man, this is you know, it's way we're not in the most picturesque into town and no, it absolutely it's not. But but my drive in was great. Yeah, yeah, but it's interesting as well, so yeah,
Speaker 1: And so then you mentioned like you're really passionate about the distilling side. So then when did you get into
Speaker 2: that? I started getting into my Curtis Stone products because, you know, when you're a coffee snob in a beer snob, what's next, right? Yeah, exactly. I started. I started drinking that, and I started getting a little bit more knowledge around it are just interested in it. I guess at the same time that we were talking about it. My brother in law. Ah, he was also talking about it and human, his wife have started distillery down in. Duncan called Still had distillery. So that's that's as to his sister and husband. And we want to do the same thing, just he and I. We took a 60 course down in Kelowna with Mike Urban at Urban distilleries, and they they put on this these workshops. And so we did. We did that and we did it on extra day with to develop genera, speeds and stuff like that. And there's not a whole lot in Canada like for for schooling around around distilling right. So you have to go to England. Really, It is one of those things they say, you know, like, do this in your garage for a while and then, you know, before you get on the big equipment, the same goes for brewing. Yeah, like fear. Wait, we've done that. We've done that a bit on DH. Yeah, I would. It's It's just one of these. I I just thought it was a a really cool business ideas well, and, you know, and I've just got a passion for my My liquor cabinet is full. It's if it's not fine. Scotch it. It's mostly micro distilled stuff, and I know he's trying things right
Speaker 1: and the still isn't quite operational yet. I mean, you still need to get a little more
Speaker 2: capacity going back there, right? So correct. Like, No, I mean when you're getting in, this there is absolute. There's so much to do just to start a brie, let alone a distillery, and that maybe that's our know for a fact. That's one of the reasons why we were delayed so long is because we were trying to do, but with we should maybe just picked one and then and then not said anything about the other for a while. But, you know, it just makes sense that we would start the berry because our brew house is where we're going toe make her to steal it. Great. So we have to get the berry going first. But, you know, with the beer, we we need a couple of pieces of equipment with outside on DH. We still need a couple of pieces of equipment on the distilling side, so that will come. The nice thing about I think it's the nice thing on the distilling side is we're not in a huge panic like I want to get it done. Let's face it, but and that there's a beautiful still sitting back there. Two already in the warehouse? Yeah, know, exactly. And but I'm not We're not gonna panic to, like, say I get product out, you know, like, we're not We're not really rushed around, so you know, we're going, We're going to take our time to make sure approx really good and up to our standard, a much bigger deal with HBO. But yeah, that's that's our plan has is take it easy and do what we do well, not jump into something and try and put something out there. That's maybe not quite up to the standard that we would we would like.
Speaker 1: What was it like
Speaker 2: when you open the door like, how were you received by the key community? I think there was. There was quite a few people who are interested to see us open right on. The word was getting out, and I think way had, like, 100 instagram followers or something like that already, and we hadn't even open the doors. Right? But s so the the community received us really well, and and that's great. It was It was really great. Did you
Speaker 1: run out of beer at all? No, we we've got a
Speaker 2: pretty big capacity. Like write that 25 100 leader brewhouse. You know, we will get, you know, once it's all said and done and out of the break tank, you know, we get between 21 119 100 leaders of finished product like we you know. So we we've got enough beer, but yeah, I mean, I mean right now you go back there. I mean, I've only got a couple kegs of amber ale, but there's some in the break tank that's going to be ready. So wait. So we haven't experienced that too much yet, So yeah, it was Ah, man, it was just I don't know what to say. A whirlwind of activity. I would say, You know, we were just flying to get open and, you know, right down to the last day, we had some plumbing issue. Of course. Right course. And then, of course, our plumber who did most of the work. He's out of town on a project to a local community and other local communities so weak we called in a favor from a body and he actually pulled one of his guys off of a project and fittest sin on DH. So we opened that day at, like, 4 15 We had our occupancy and we were ready to open the doors and we were like, Holy crap like, now what? Like so we just were like, Why don't we
Speaker 1: deal is gonna work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Let's just open the door. We text a bunch of friends. We had about 70 people down here, and we had some people like that. We had a couple from lower mainland. We call him our number ones because they walked through the door first. But they were just driving by to see, you know what if this place is open yet, right? And then they come in and re quickly realized that it was They figured it was friends and family night, but it was actually just, you know, we were open for business, so yeah, and then we had we had another couple of groups coming. Also, either that it was it was kind of friendly family. So yeah, it was like 60 70 people in here. And it was it was a great night. Like it was we were super excited, and it was like a highlight right? From here. Expansion mean is ah, there's packaging, comrade. Absolutely. So right now we do have, Ah, we have a canning line from Cask one of your typical Mike O'Berry canning lines. And we've just got some labeling stuff to get approved, but we don't want to see the one. A Russian is certain things, right? And so we have to make sure a production level is a certain size before we could do that. So that's one of the things we're doing is where we needed another from enter. Once we get that, then we can. Then it was little sit that you. Soon as you get cans, you open up another market, and I know people are anxious to get the product and stuff like that, but or even just sell cans out of the tasting room. But yeah, you just it's going to make a demand that maybe we can't meet, so we want to be careful that we don't disappoint people.
Speaker 1: And then are you going to
Speaker 2: packaging your distilling as well? Once once that still early. Yeah, we've got some, I guess that's a podcast. So I could show you a picture of her label if you want to know what's going on and on and
Speaker 1: on and paint me a word picture. Yeah,
Speaker 2: well, we've We've kind of got this European MT kind of thing where we started going down. So we've got the moose head over there and we got two big new European metal mousse in the back. All of our bottles have some sort of European Mount's skull on him, so it's got this little side dark side to it, but it it really does fit something that you would see in a craft. Like it's, I think, the labels air done really well. They were kind of on a like a typographical mac, you know, a background, right. And then there's the laddering in our logo and stuff. Our trench logo that you see on our beer. It's other than on the top of the cap. You don't see it on the distilled stuff was kind of really marketed a little. It's like differently. Okay, it's definitely more further to still side, which I think comes across a little more classy.
Speaker 1: So Prince George's really been, ah, big part of your life. He was to
Speaker 2: come here. What are some things that they can experience in Prince George? Apart from your place? Accord Smart for my place. Well, you gotta check across Rosa's well, and they've got up, like also a phenomenal decking, a phenomenal restaurant in there, and they're doing a great job the Northern Lights Winery there across the river. And it's a really class ofit and and they also have a little bistro out there, and it's a It's a fruit wine, me and his brilliant. It's always a great experience going out there, but we've got just in the downtown core. We've got some really awesome restaurants, stuff you don't see anywhere else. We've got copper pig, which is a barbecue. We've got the tool. A burning Nancy goes to a burning, has a foreign 11 pizza place like there's restaurants that air here in Prince George, and they're a great place to go in experience so all right.
Speaker 1: And if somebody was to come here and visit you guys, what would be the thing that you'd want
Speaker 2: them to walk away with as a great experience at the brewery? I mean, just just the experience just to come in. Like I think when I walk in the station, I'm super relaxed. I can sit here and have a beer. Well, I mean, we're sitting on a couch right now with this beautiful coffee table. It's kind of satiny ish, fit, Say, Yeah, yeah, we we kind of made it this way so that it's It's like your own deck. Almost. And so, you know, I think as a business owner, if you can walk in your own establishment cause you're East tuned into how the customer experience is going and stuff like that and I can sit back and like, have a beer and join myself, you know, that's what I want is two people who come here. Um, usually we know we got some music on, and, you know, we've got some live events and stuff like that. Come and enjoy yourself and enjoy the bureau, like, you know, taste the different ones for for what they are because they vastly are different in their own ways, right? I'm
Speaker 1: trying right now. And they are, Yes, but they're all really good. So and in terms of their styles, I mean, yeah, but they're very
Speaker 2: unique. And there is nothing bland between them, so yeah, I know you guys are doing a great job here. That's great. Thanks. Yeah. And then we always, like, have a guest. Hop on. We were just out of Gas spear for the last few days, but we got some stuff from Smithers bearing nubrilliance millions in their brilliant and so that's going on today. And so try. That was because we really like to support an industry. And we're friends with all the people from all the other micro Berries. I mean, it's it's ah, it's a really cool kind of brotherhood that now I've never experienced in other industries. I mean, I'm slightly confused cause you're wearing a shirt from Bridge today in North. You know, normally I'm wearing a different Yeah, kinda advertised here from all around. And even though, you know, I really enjoy all that Oregon and Washington State stuff like I've put, we've got a bunch of growlers up here. We do have a you come bring, which is really cool. But does their own personal growl a collection right on DH? It's all. It's all bc beers and stuff like that. We really like Tio, you know, support the BC beers. Right, Well, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Big thank you to Craig for his time. Really appreciate it now. This episode is made possible by the BC Ale Trail, and I was very excited to visit Northern British Columbia. It was my first time up north, and I was just wondering where to begin, So I followed the BC Ale Trail. FBC ALE Trail dossier You'll find the ale trail for northern BC, where you will not only get great suggestions on what breweries he should visit, but also pubs, local restaurants and other activities the area has to offer. And while on the website, you'll find a comprehensive list of every craft brewery, NBC There's also a calendar with grape your events and a blogger featuring the stories of B C's craft beer scene. So whether you're planning a visit or being a tourist in your own backyard that the BC ale Trail guide you to your next beer adventure Arrive thirsty. Leave inspired at bcl trail dot c a. All right, Part two of this episode Now where I sat down with the brewer of Trench Brewing into stealing. My name is Paul Gonzalves and my title is Head Brewer. Yeah, And where you Bruin? Transferring in distilling in Prince George, British Columbia. All right, And
Speaker 2: how long have you been open
Speaker 1: here? We've been open since April this year. Right? April 2,018. Yeah, man. Still brand new, very new. Still working out. All the kinks are opening hours on the sign way had a little discovery this morning that the wrong times or if they're on the sign. So So you say, brewing into stealing. And we did a little walk to the brew house there, but you're still isn't up and running yet, so that's that's soon to be. Yes. Yeah, yeah, Way wanted to focus on the brewing first and foremost and get that up and running and then the distilling sze to come in the next few months. We still have a few few piece of equipment to acquire for, and then we'll get her started up, all right? And, Ah, my favorite question is, how did beer find you? Um, I was a baker for, like, 10 or 12 years. And, ah, one of my one of my sisters who went to college in Florida, moved to Portland after she graduated. And we went and visited them a couple times and just got introduced to a handful of, like, great craft breweries and really fell in love with it. And then three months later, I found myself crying like a little manual brew system for my garage, and it's all kind of took off from there,
Speaker 2: right? So how long ago was that?
Speaker 1: That would have been in 2,000 and eight, I think. Right. Yeah. And do you remember that first batch of beer? Absolutely has. Terrible. Right. But what were you trying to make is that the recipe was called beak A ve ry i p a right? Yeah. And tasted like paint thinner, right? In your reflection of making that where do you think he went wrong? Ah, we definitely rushed into it like, didn't do it on a research, actually. Just found the posting on Craigslist for a guy who's making little Nano Bruce Systems out of his garage. And Abbotsford went down and checked it out and he offered Teo, teach me how to brew on it. Well, we're going to buy one movie and that that's good. So maker, the system showing you how to use it. And it was a pretty bumpy road, like the whole training day with him. It was me and my two brother in laws. And I remember picking like fruit flies out of the east before we pitched it. Which was kind of a sign that things weren't going so high, but yeah, After that, we started doing a lot more research and like holding things in. And we ended up starting making some pretty decent beer. They're OK in the garage. So what? What What was that window than that timeframe toe actual good beer. How's about for five months, right? Yeah. At least 1st 3 batches weren't that hot. And then after that, we started really finding my groove. Yeah, cool. And and then how did you end up here in in Prince George? My wife was going to school in Washington State. Well, I was working at another Marine Squamish on DA she when she graduated to start looking for jobs, and we really didn't want to move back to the city. And Squamish wasn't really a practical choice for us to stay long term. So we started looking up in Northern BC, and she found work up here. And then she ended up coming up here for her job. And, uh, I got introduced Teo, the owner's Jesse Bailey, Craig and Esther through another friend who was working at the that crossroads brewing because they spent a lot of time there kind of drinking beer and developing their business plans. So yeah, it just kind of got introduced to each other. And then we ended up going into business together. I guess, like this isn't like a great populous area of town. My first time Prince George's
Speaker 2: kind on the outside, It's a bit so, like, what? What had to happen to make this space work, which is beautiful, by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, They say it was actually a dry out drywall warehouse before on DH. They've done Tana work here. They report all the floors and the dusting alone. I can imagine. Yeah, refinished the entire inside. So I think they're in here for a boat 18 months before they act. You got it to where it is now. So it was a pretty pretty big job. Pretty big renovation. Yeah, they did a lot of the work themselves to break that friends and family. So and then there's a bit of an interesting story with the brew
Speaker 2: house at the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was. It was the brewers that belonged to Lighthouse bearing in Victoria previously, and Thie bought. It's, I think, about a year and 1/2 ago. A CZ. Well, so it's been been living in one of the owners garage for quite sometimes. You must appreciate. Yeah, pretty nice. You're That's quite the size. Yeah, but yeah, it's an old It's an old system, but it serves our purposes well. But it's electric fired, though, right? Yeah. Yeah. So we have no boiler. It's all electric, but works pretty well. It's probably not Thea most economic. Wait a brew. But it's work stress right now. Okay on, then. You have three fermenters back there, right? Yeah, Yeah. 33 25 hut. For manners and for 25 conditioning tanks, right? And so what are the types of beers that you focus
Speaker 2: on here, like regularly? Is there like a flagship lineup, or do you just try and rotate everything through?
Speaker 1: We definitely have a flagship lineup. We tried, tio, get you a little bit of everything, really. Just Teo Get a feel for the market, The craft beer communities, Pretty young and Prince George. So we were doing the nice, like hoppy pale ale, a Northeast tile i p a R Amber ale, which is just like an American style amber, right? I'm rail pretty one dimensional hop more profile with, like, pretty good focus on, like Northwest hops. Just a good like stout that we're just, uh, ITT's More is more towards the end of, like an imperial stout, a lot more complexity that's a little bit like cheerier like little more body. And then our pills there. So Jesse and Craig, two of the owners, they went to the Czech Republic for like, four or five months to train in a Chek brewery. So they really, really love like a good, like bohemian style pilsner. So that was one of the beers that they he had to have. Great. So that's one of our one of our definite definitely one of our flagship years. And you have a nice little pilot system back there, too. Yeah, for sure. We actually when? When I started with them here, they had one of the SAB go brew magics. And I was pretty insistent that we sell it because I wasn't super happy with it was, Ah, there's a lot of work to brew a very, very little amount of beer. So, Jesse, one of the owners, actually ah, welder. So we built that whole little pilot system ourselves and ordered a bunch of parts online and got a pretty nice little pilot system. So it's got it's got 180 leader production capacity so we can do about it, you know, 33 kegs per batch on the test batch system, right? And then you're just chucking those right in the tay. Yeah, straight on the tasting room. And, yeah, just do whatever. Whatever catches my fancy that week. Yeah. I mean, here at the time of taping one on the list Here
Speaker 2: is your pilot one day and you have a pilot one on top of the moment.
Speaker 1: Uh, currently No, we don't Actually. The last vial, Abreu. We had just ran out last week and was Ah, black eye Papa, right? Yeah, on DH. Then you were saying like it was quite a lot of work
Speaker 2: for a little amount of beer, but I mean, like, even to make a regular battle beer. It's a bit of work cause it's Emmanuel Mash Tun back there, too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure. Yeah, definitely. Good. Good shoulder. Where? Go. You can't think Sting was talking to my wife yesterday? Actually, we just I brewed our first batch of our fall seasonal, which is going to be a cold brew coffee ill. But I did it with a pretty high percentage of ah, flaked oats. And I was like, Oh, man, I was just like, man, I'm never Bruna Flaked Oats again. Arms and shoulders. You're sorry, Zell? Yeah. Yeah, And then from here,
Speaker 2: I mean what? There's some expansion plans in the works of the immediate one. Obviously being get that still up and running?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Yeah, all that can it ties in with more fermentation space just goes with the fermentation space we do have right now in the the amount of brands we have on tap, it's pretty hard for us to produce a large quantity of anyone. Beer, eh? So we're going to actually hoping to get a few more fermentation vessels because we do need more fermentation space to actually produce the distilled product. And then, yeah, with those two new for manners and we can start producing more of our oppa and pale ale, which sort of the two brands were really gonna want to promote a lot in cans, So yeah, so that's hopefully you know, if everything goes well, we'll get those. Those new fermentation vessel is closer to the end of the year on DH. Then start caning because you have the space in the back to do it like there's a lot of space. That's the best thing about this building. There's tons of sea like tons of height, and we have a big, big footprints, so we can. We got a lot of room to grow for sure, right? And then how have you been received by the public since you been opened? Very well. Yeah, it's definitely like you said, it's off the beaten path a little bit. Eso there's ah, you know, they're They're definitely trying. Teo, bring the downtown core backto life in Prince George because it did have a bit of a bad reputation about 10 years ago. It wasn't really a place you'd want to be. But, yeah, it's sometimes a bit of a chore getting people down here once you do, they definitely, very, very well received. So, yeah, is there, like
Speaker 2: an absolute favorite with the locals that you find that you just can't make enough of
Speaker 1: definitely the EPA? It's It's a little different than what anyone else is making in town because we're doing more like the Northeast style. So it's like a little more focused on, like hop, flavor and aroma than just like being very bitter and very, very, very drinkable and pretty well balanced. So it's a new style for people here for sure, and they're really, really digging it right. And if somebody was to come to Prince George, I
Speaker 2: mean, let me What kind of activities are there to do?
Speaker 1: Definitely lots of like outdoor activities, great hiking in the area. If you're in the hunting, your fishing, there's tons of that. That's actually what inspired their name. Right? Trench bring. We named it after the Rocky Mountain Trench, and they kind of named a lot of their beers after thie. Their favorite spots to go hang out like the Arctic River and Orcs are Arctic Lake. And the thing keep system and stuff like that. So that's what inspired the names for a lot of the abuse.
Speaker 2: All right, great. Well, thank you so much for your time, Paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no problem. It was so great chatting with Paul, and he gave me a great tour. The brewery really appreciate it, man. And also Craig, The first interview in this episode thanks again to him and big thanks to the rest of the team that trench brewing. It was a great way to start off my trip up north and can't wait to go back and visit again. Big thanks once again to the BCL trail for making this episode possible. You confined them at bcl trail dot c A. If you like this podcast Siri's. I do hope you're subscribed wherever you listen to podcasts. It really helps keep this show going and supporting it. You can find out sound every platform imaginable. So if it's not there, let us know because there's a town. A podcast directories out there. Then we want to make sure that we're listed everywhere. If you want to follow us on social media, you can at facebook dot com for his last Cascadian beer. I'm on Twitter at Cascadian Beer, and I'm on Instagram at Cascadian Beer Podcast. For more information about this podcast, Siri's in some additional details in the show notes, some photos and all that head to cascadian dot beer. That's the website. Thank you so much for your time and listening. I really do appreciate it. And until next time, remember support your local.