Speaker 1: This episode has been made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive Thirsty, Leave Inspired. at bc ale trail dot c a. When you can move back to your community, the best thing you can do is open a brewery, right? Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm a Cascadian. In this podcast series . I profile the unique breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bio region in the Pacific Northwest on the North American continent. It's made up of the U. S states of Washington, Oregon, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia. If you've been enjoying this podcast series or if this is your first time here, I do hope you hit. Subscribe in your favorite podcast app. It doesn't cost you anything, and you'll never miss an episode. A few months ago in the spring, I was in Penticton attending and being part of the judges panel for the Okanagan fest of ales. While there I stopped in to say hi to some friends of the podcast who were in the process of opening their own brewery. Like many stories, I've encountered while making this podcast series. Things don't always go according to plan. The brewery had to change their name for various reasons a few days before my visit, but now they're fully open and operational. So here's my conversation with Slack water brewing. My name is Chris Vandenburg, and I am the brewmaster of Slack Water Brewing.
Speaker 2: And I am Liam Peyton, general manager and marketing manager. Four slack water
Speaker 1: brewing. So, Yeah, we're here. It is the festival's weekend. You guys aren't open yet, but we're sitting on your soon to be lovely patio. That's quite a nice day. All right, it's coming up. Nice. It was raining yesterday in all morning. Yeah, well, like I flew in for Vancouver, and we took it all from yes. Perfect love sunshine in the Okinawan. Um, so, uh, we're here, Uh, slack water. It's ah, soon to be brewery. You are gonna be brewing next week, right? That is the plan. No, no, today be the day. It is. April 11th when we're taping this. So yeah. So Tuesday. Yeah. You can hold me to it.
Speaker 2: I'll be there. Instagramming him the second he matches in. So hold us to it next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Okay, The old burr is operational as of this week. And so I've been cleaning and fascinating. All of the tank's kind of non stop around the clock. I'm gonna apologize to listening. Is that it's made me a little bit loopy. Okay, Well, uh, for a kind of Ah, hopefully an easy question for anything. Chris, how did beer find you? That is a great question. I actually have to give credit to my partner, Cleo. Nevil. We met about 10 years ago, and she was making cider in ah, little punk house in East Van. And I gleaned some things off of her. I was working as a mental health worker on the downtown Eastside. Ah, and that job got a little stressful for me. And by then I had for aid into, uh, into wine. And beer is well, is on the homebrew scene. So I decided to pursue my other passion and ended up taking a job working in the warehouse that parallel 49 right. So the first job in the industry there and ah, did you move around? It'll in the lower mainland? Yeah. So I started in the warehouse. Ah, parallel. 49. Move my way up to working on the bottling line. Ah, and I was sort of running the bottling line. By the time I left, um wanted to move into the brewer position and postmark was hiring. So I jumped over their brood there for a few years and most recently have been it. Powell working with Dave Boquete, who's just been an absolutely amazing experience. Yeah. How about you, Liam had a beer find
Speaker 2: you? I was definitely pouring pints a few years earlier than I should have been in the UK reckoned little country pubs, and I was 16. It's a big love for old cask ales are used to work in this awesome little quaint bars that only had just big, beautiful old brick cellar's full of cask ales is awesome. Moved over here kind of continued to by attending a little bit, Um, really just kind of got in tow. B. C's offerings, rather than the big crap I was having is a little ski bum when I moved here. And then that kind of just spread a little bit. I at the opportunity to start their beer fest up in Whistler and then that kind of got me tied in with the industry bit. And then it's just kind of kept growing. And here we are
Speaker 1: starting very. And here we are in panicked and eso y Pantic in.
Speaker 2: My wife's been predicted. So, uh, the idea for the brewery came out about five years ago to him, myself and Kelsea, my now wife. She's from here. We kind of always had the derive moving back and settling here. Ultimately, we were in Whistler than Vancouver for a few years. And, you know, it's just such a nice pace of life out here. It's a lot nicer than being in the city as fun as it can be out there, but as well as, you know, opportunities for Brewery out here. That's a fantastic local breweries out here. It's nowhere near it's Saturated is on the coast, and there's a huge community vibe out here that we really, really dig
Speaker 1: because a pen and Pantic tin seems to really be growing in the beer scene. Um, heard this morning there's gonna be seven. So
Speaker 2: seven once neighborhoods up for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Um, and then just right up the road is Kelowna which also seems
Speaker 2: to be blowing up this room, is there's another one coming on the narrow minded bench. There's a couple of cider is popping up. Now it's ah, it's critical
Speaker 1: not to mention the vineyards that are already here. So funny with people asking too many breweries already
Speaker 2: is like about 140 wineries. And
Speaker 1: I have to admit that I had never been to predict it until I met Liam and Kelsey, which was about a year and 1/2 ago. And they invited me out for a couple of weekend trips to come see what was happening. And I just fell in love with it right away. And I talked to you, Cleo, my partner, and we decided that it was the right move for us. And now we are. All right. So what is the marching orders, then? For Stillwater? What do you hope to achieve here? What? Do you have a little water? Slack water. See you change the name so quick on confused lots of Chancellor. Yes. All right. So, uh, still water. What are the products you loathe? Still wanted. That's why it stuck in my head, not complaining. There we go take three. Don't see sweet. I almost did it again. Slack water. What is that? What? What do you guys up to? You? Ah, you know lets your mission statement here when it comes to beer. Well, my mission statement when it comes to beer, specifically is I love working with what's around me. It's really easy to bring ingredients in from all over the place. But like you, we have such a beautiful amount of things to work with here. I mean, we can work with wineries. We work with cider is there's all sorts of local produce, vegetation, spices. Get those Summerland sweets s o. I want to sort of keep things. I wantto kind. I hope that the Okanogan sort of develops the terroir, which is sort of interesting. So we want we're gonna be doing, you know, with every style under the sun over the next couple of years. But we want to focus on a lot of cool barrel things, too, and, you know, sours and Cezanne's that inspired by the local environment. So that's that's what I like to do in a beer. I like Thio work with what I have, and so being Ah, Mr Marketer, what's what's the concept of the branding? What is that going to look like? We're trying to
Speaker 2: keep it like fun and vibrant and kind of organic natural feel to it. We've tried to stay within our existing brand system and keep that kind of moving. That's why it was so hard to try and find a Plan B Name theory Journal was kind of inspired when I met my wife where I was extremely stressed with work, she kind of took me out back and taught me how to fly fish up in like, see the sky Country. And that was awesome, you know, that was my early members of that relationship is just going awesome places, fishing, drinking, amazing beer. And we kind of wanted toa draw that into the inspiration for what was hatchery What is now slack water brewing. But yeah, just again playoff the waterways, the rivers, the lakes, sold that kind of stuff that brought us together originally and what we like doing in our in our spare time, which is few and far between right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you guys have been renovating this place in September, right? Me and Chris have lots of fun stuff on the walls. Lots of throwing slide chambers around. All right, so we're in mid April. Now, what's the hopeful target here?
Speaker 2: We're still like our contractors, architects, us from marketing standpoints, lead time on materials, et cetera. Were looking pretty positive for the very end of May. Started June right now. Okay. What? He started gearing up hiring and, uh,
Speaker 1: and your brew in next week. Yeah. Yeah, he's crust, right. And so how many taps are you expected to have there behind the bar we're gonna have? Well, we're gonna have I believe 12 taps behind the bar, at least eight of which will be our beers. And we will be bringing in cider and guest taps and things like that. So
Speaker 2: WeII do have Thea the luxury of, ah, liquor. Primary license from the previous use of this venue is Well, it used to be a nightclub. So we're working with a bunch of really cool local cider reason wineries. So I have a pretty decent wine list. Really fantastic kitchen as well, but yeah, 12 taps. We want to keep it least eight of those on ours. Nice ro. taters.
Speaker 1: I'm in conversation with slack water brewing. We'll get back to them in a moment. But first, part of the reason why I started this podcast series was to explore my own backyard. British Columbia is a big place, and it can be a bit daunting trying to organize your own adventure. Luckily, though, the BCL Trail has made it easy for you to plan your next trip at BCL trail dot see A. You'll find recommended itineraries to explore different regions in the province, including Pantic Tin and a comprehensive list of every craft brewery, NBC. There's a calendar with beer events and applaud with lots of great stories. The regional ale trails include local breweries, pubs and restaurants, along with outdoor activities in the supernatural landscapes that surround them. So whether you're planning a weekend trip or being a tourist in your own backyard, but the BCL Trail guide you to your next beer adventure arrived Thirsty leave inspired at bcl trail dot c A. And thanks for supporting this podcast episode guys. All right, let's jump back in the conversation with slack water brewing and now, and since we're in the construction phase, you haven't opened yet. Do you guys have ah, sustainability plan of flexed for, You know, just recycling and just taking care of resource is yeah, Absolutely. I mean, we have the general basic stuff we, you know, heat exchangers, repurchasing water into the hot liquor tank, things like that. We did install the trade waste interceptor, and I think we might be the only
Speaker 2: the only one in the economic right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only brewery in the Okinawan with the trade waste interceptors that's collecting all of our solid matter out of the water system. So get separated out. We have ah team set up in Cara MEOWS Who has Ah, beautiful or sorry clean who have a beautiful organic farm on. They're going to be taking all of our grain for big compost pile and for feed for their animals, and in turn, will be hopefully getting some vegetables and meat back from them
Speaker 2: about the, uh, don't hate their bond or something with the bio heat or something from the fermentation. Noah, I think
Speaker 1: I do believe that their environmental engineers and if they're listening, I hope I get this right. But they've developed some sort of system where they can harness the heat from the compost pile, right, as it sort of rots right. That then provides heat for all of their barns and greenhouse. It's awesome. What are the beers that you're hoping to just come out with out of the gate? Well, I can tell you right now what we hope to do with the first week. You guys are, uh are tight lines lager, which is? Ah, traditional German style hellis. Okay, good that you're brewing in now. So you can let it sit for a few weeks. Yeah, it won't be ready for open. Yeah, but I will. It will be in the tank. Yeah, the open. Just Everybody knows we have our English tail pale ale, which is Ah, it's an Amarillo dry, hopped, pretty traditional Northwest style pale ale. We're doing our serenity Say's on which we had at brewski and we will have again at festival which is a French style Cezanne made with organic camomile and local honey. And we have our what? The fog, which is Northeast i p. A. Which this particular integration of it is galaxy and Citra. If anyone had it brewski, it was elder auto and Citra. Okay, well, I'm a sucker for citrus, so thank you. Okay, I'll let you on a little secret Here. Put a little bit of citrus in pretty much everything. Okay? Okay, So that's That's Thea. That's the water, right? That's a lot. That's the one that doesn't everything said then on eso Citra favorite hobby, You have another favorite hot that you like using. Well, that's a great question. If I had to pick one hot to use. I mean, there's so many different kinds of hops and different styles of beer you could make with different hops. Per lei is probably like my favorite hot because it could go on all of your loggers and all your dark beers, and it's got that great spicy tone to it. But if I was gonna go for an I p A, I might Besides the track, a sitter is absolutely number one. I might go with Amarillo, but that changes probably every 1 3 to 6 months. My mind changes on that one. Right? Uh, Lee. And what beer you love most Looking forward to getting on tap. What's your go to that you hope to have here? Oh,
Speaker 2: you know what it's been so like since I creeped on Chris on Facebook and asked him if he wants to be part of this. We went through 12 18 months of just Superfund Sundays, where we just throw stuff on the grill and homebrew bunch of all these crazy cool ideas and stuff. Definitely any anything hopped coming out of Chris's repertoire. Eyes like every rendition about pale ales I. P. A's New England I. P has been phenomenal, So definitely looking forward to those and go back to Chris's comments. I'm tryingto work with his Ah, like a local agri culture and terroir as well. I think both of us share big affinity for Cezanne farmhouse style beers that we really want executing our own out here because you were not on a farm. But look where we are surrounded by these beautiful orchards Vineyards like mounted like a ll this cool stuff out here that, you know, it's kind of waiting to be played with so that on DDE as mentioned earlier, holding this stuff, we are putting a cask in Jinan
Speaker 1: so awesome. I mean, you couldn't open your own place without putting one in right like it
Speaker 2: was a firm. It's happening. Yeah, Yeah. Go till the exciting part right now, getting all of our breathers and self tilting spillage and getting else forgetting glycol, racking for it to keep him going. Right? All right, we're not messing around when it comes to casting Pretty excited and hopefully,
Speaker 1: no, no bar top cast for us. You have a traditional English mile. That will be a festival as well. That's just sad. That information it was delicious. Future Erin in the Edit will tell you how great it was. So front, aside from a name challenge, would have been some of the greatest challenges that have come up here in this whole process of trying to open. When you take over a pre existing building, you go a little bit blind. You walk in here like here's a building. It works, you know, They had power for the night. We had running water, they had everything. And then you stars upon. You start trying to put a bird brewery in it, and you wanna throw almost that stuff out and having to rebuild everything from the ground up. So it's There was a ah literal money pit when we dug up the dance floor. I'll call the nightclub of Money, paid it, had a money play, money paid in the middle of the floor. When we took up the dance floor, we found a three foot hole that was 16 by idly by 16 or something like that.
Speaker 2: It was only four. It was probably like at least 400 square feet. I think it was the original dance floor, and they'd cut it into the concrete and then put like a triple framed for dance floor on it for, like, acoustics and give when people are dancing. And we just found that not on
Speaker 1: any of the architectural plans from the place is built like it
Speaker 2: took us a week to tell that it was horrible work. It was built never to be removed, but we can't quite put tanks on like framed floor. That was
Speaker 1: it. I mean, it's all the little things. There's so many licenses and so many permits, and Liam's with an absolute champ basically doing all the legwork on.
Speaker 2: To be honest, it's been the liquor branch in the city have been so unbelievably fantastic. That has been that I know it's a nightmare for a lot of people. It's almost been scarily too straightforward on our behalf. But then again, I do have quite a lot of experience with liquor license and stuff, So it's a little easier, I guess. But yeah, I was expecting the worst on that. 10 of the absolute best.
Speaker 1: I will wait for the end of the day. You need to fill out the form so you don't You don't get a choice, so you better make friends. All right. So, um, so, apart from past work experience, who else in the province? Ah, kind of inspires you guys too. I kind of get this brewery have been running in in terms of the styles of beer you want to. D'oh! My biggest inspiration in BC beer that I haven't worked for. It would be e in hell from strange fellows. Every beer that comes out of that place is outstanding. You Oh,
Speaker 2: God, I'm slightly by a state. Before I left Vancouver, I lived behind Main Street and brass neck and spent eight nights a week, a brass neck and I Yeah, yeah, I know you like I love all the beers that those guys making. Yes, Nigel, being a Brit to there's quite a bit of British inspirations. Some of those beards as well. So Yeah, definitely a big brass neck fan.
Speaker 1: All right, Cool. And if somebody was wanting to go patting down the path of opening up a brewery themselves, what advice could you give him? Absolutely do do it. But we'll do. Do it. Um, keep okay. I don't know howto word this Just just do your research, plot out everything and plan for the worst on everything. And whatever you think it's gonna cost at, I don't know, 10% thio another 50%. Also, I would highly recommend that if you have the ability to buy a vacant lot, it's probably Chief just put up a brand new building, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, um, as well ask like, we would be in a completely different scenario. If the amazing people hand, I don't even start listing them off because it's such a big list. But brewers and owners that have been through this, they're more than happy to just help and answer the phone or answer an email on the information and assistance and support we got was unreal. Trying to tell our shareholders how collaborative it is with people helping each other. But they didn't believe it until the in it now and they're like, Holy crap. This is a freak of an industry. Like, why does the competitive want to help you out so much? Like, that's why we're here.
Speaker 1: We've had help from quite literally, all over the country, but specifically, um, like the pen ticked in Brewer is all the other breweries in town have gone absolutely just over the top to help us out on, like, the littlest things. You know what I mean? Is it
Speaker 2: borrowed equipment from Cannery? We did. Our first batch is for a little beer festival at the ski hill. That cannery half our kitchens in storage over a bad tattoo.
Speaker 1: Bad. I do. Let me, uh, tinker with their brew host for a day because we we we bought all over tanks from Ripley Stainless, which is a local fabricator in Summerland and back Tattoo as a similar system. So they let me basically just get dirty one day for no reason.
Speaker 2: My my new favorite toy, the cask engines, a gift from by Tattoo rx. They just see Steve's a few years ago. So
Speaker 1: sweet. Yeah, it's outstanding. The appendix is great. I mean, brewing in East Van I was I was a little bit hesitant to leave these fantasies. Fan is such a tight community of rulers, and I came here and it's like nothing changed. Nothing skipped a beat. You know, it's it's everyone here is just a cz tight justus. Good friends help
Speaker 2: safety meetings in the week. Will the bruise get together and through the Benedictine Ale Trail Kim's We're doing an absolute phenomenal job keeping a soul up today and on track with everything together in a line that it sze pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Right? Well, congratulations, guys. Thank you. I mean, you've made it this far, and and you're gonna brew beer next week and, uh, can't wait to come back and visit when you guys were actually open. So yeah, I hope you get the real beer. Well, I mean, we're gonna have a pseudo beer this week. Really? Beer? Yes, but it's not on that fancy new system. You just can't wait to get my hands up. Thank you both. Thank you. Huge. Thank you to the team that slack water for their time. It was great seeing everybody in the construction phase, and I cannot wait to go back and visit. And since I'm future Aaron here has mentioned in the interview the beers were fantastic at festive ales. I'd really like to think the team and Pantic Tin and the Tourism Board and also the organizers of the Okanogan festive ails. It was a great time out there, and I can't wait to attend next year. I'd love to go back. So yes, Blackwater Brewing is now open and operational. I hope you get a chance to stop by. If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, I do hope you're subscribed in your favorite podcast app. But if you also want to follow us on social media, you can by going to facebook dot com forward slash cascadian beer among Twitter at Cascadian Beer, mostly on Instagram at Cascadian Beer Podcast. For more information about this podcast series and this episode in particular, you can go to the website at cascadian dot beer. Big thanks again to the BCL Trail for making this episode possible, and thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. Have fun, be safe until next time. Remember, support your local