Speaker 1: be welcome to the Cascadian beer podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm Cascadian. Now. Normally, this time of year, I'll be attending the Great American Beer Festival, but unfortunately I couldn't attend this year's events and as a part of my annual Great American Beer Festival episodes, the segment that I get a lot of feedback on is the one where we crunched the numbers of the beer industry for the year. So I thought I'd released this quick bonus episode so we can get a highlight of how the beer industry is doing in 2019. And I was very fortunate to connect on a call with the chief economist for the Brewers Association, Bart Watson.
Speaker 2: My name is Bart Watson, and I'm chief economist at the Brewers Association,
Speaker 1: and it's great to see you even though we're talking on a VoIP call, because this is kind of become an annual thing. Unfortunately, I'm not at great American this year but still want to talk to you because I kind of like these annual reviews of How is the industry doing so? General? Let's start overview. How is the beer industry looking 2019?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's harder Thio summarize in a single sentence that it used to be a um, you know, when you looked at craft brewing for five years ago, kind of everything was positive. The number breweries was going up. Share was going up. You know, growth was double digits. And so in that environment, basically every company was succeeding. And I think what we're seeing now is there's a little bit of a split personality. There's parts of the markets. They're still thriving, small local breweries by and large, doing very, very well. We're seeing the number of worries continue to rise, you know, across North America. But at the same time, slowing growth challenges and distribution means that you know not everyone is is feeling that growth equally. And you know, certainly it's a more competitive marketplace than we've seen in the past, creating challenges for a lot of worries.
Speaker 1: And last year we talked about like those major traditional big centres like Portland, Seattle, were seen Berries shut down there and not necessarily get replaced. But we're having breweries open up in smaller communities. Is that still a thing this year, or is it kind of stabilized?
Speaker 2: I think it is still a thing, and you know it varies place by place. And any time you're talking about national trends, you're gonna get something's wrong in certain localities because the dynamics really are locally based now, with with so many breweries and and so many of them operating locally. But you know, we're still seeing places where that that opening and closing rate is closing together. You know, Michigan's another example outside of places like Seattle or Portland that I think are a little bit better known. And we're still seeing that. You know, there were people interested in opening, maybe in different localities than traditionally. They would have opened, you know, more rural settings or places that don't have a brewery. But the trend toward you know, some Berries not being refilled. It is continuing, and I think that shows the overall competitiveness in the market place.
Speaker 1: And so with that, I guess the number should have asked, How many Berries are we now at What's what's What's their number?
Speaker 2: You know, as of this moment, it's probably somewhere around 7700 Berries nationally, you know, we're still on pace, probably for around 1000 Marie's toe open in the U. S. You know, Canadian numbers are gonna be scaled by population can. It actually has very similar per capita trends in almost every regard. Total number, breweries, openings, closings to the U. S. But in the U. S. We're gonna see about 1000 Marie's open this year. Um, and we'll probably see somewhere around 300 closings those air a little bit harder to track in real time. But we continue to see that percentage rate of closings hold steady at about 3% of the Berries that are active.
Speaker 1: So what was the main challenge then? From the numbers perspective for the brewing industry this year?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's a big numbers challenge that there's still a lot of growth out there. We'll probably have a 1,000,000 barrels of growth in the United States. That's nothing to Steve's that that's about 1/2 percent of the U. S. Beer market, but that's now being split between those 7700 breweries so that per brewery growth rate is a lot slower, a lot smaller than it was in the past. S O. That's the real challenge is not the growth opportunity as a whole, but it's the growth opportunity on an individual company level when all of that growth is getting sliced up in so many ways. And I'll steal and do a second part to I think, you know, the second number that's challenging is is that so much of that growth is accruing to the newest breweries and direct at the brewery sales. So they're real challenges to Berries that are building their business model on on broader distribution at the moment
Speaker 1: and then feed her industries. We were seeing some growth. Is there still a lot of growth in the future industries, or is that also kind of slow down?
Speaker 2: I think it's slowed a little bit, You know, the closing rate hasn't gone up that much. But there's, you know, growing secondary market, for instance, for equipment.
Speaker 1: And I think I should gratify their like like feeder industries being like grain hops like Justin just general supplies or how fear gets made. So
Speaker 2: exactly. And I think we saw a lot of those industries experience some of the same challenges that the Breen industry did over all that you know, four or five years ago, when when things were booming. A lot of those industries built out a lot of capacity. And while we've still seen growth, a lot of it's been from very small breweries, so they haven't maybe used all of that capacity. You no demand for hops. Demand for malts. Demand for materials continues to grow, but it might not be growing at the rate that those supplier industries expected, and so that sometimes creates over supplies. Sometimes it just means adjustments. So I think they're experiencing the industry the same way breweries are where there still opportunities, but their fractured You really have to be hitting the right mark. And, you know, some companies are struggling in that environment.
Speaker 1: Best state this year, overall performance. Who would that be?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I mean, we're still seeing a lot of growth in in the big population states that, you know, per capita wise. We're fairly behind. So, Texas, Florida, New York, you know, they're still seeing a lot of Marie's open. They're still seeing a lot of growth, you know, we see growth all over the country still, so that opening rates still fairly evenly distributed based on the patterns we've seen in the past, but in absolute terms, it's really being driven by, you know, the biggest states and a lot of them are still posting pretty strong numbers.
Speaker 1: And then the Pacific Northwest. How are those numbers? Did they compare, like in line with the rest of the country? Or is it kind of a unique case out here, too?
Speaker 2: I think the Pacific Northwest is, you know, the canary in the coal mine. To certain extent, it's always had per capital levels of production and Berries that are higher. And so we are seeing a little bit slower growth in the number of breweries in production growth and the Pacific Northwest. Then we're seeing nationally, and that makes sense. I mean, you've got markets in the Pacific Northwest where your craft is the dominant player. It's got 30 or 40 share of the market. That's a plurality of the market. It's It's bigger than you know, the large burger shares when you take a collectively. Obviously, individual firms aren't and so that creates challenges to grow those marketplaces because you're growing off such of a large base already. So I would say generally the Pacific Northwest is ahead of everyone else in terms of absolute numbers and now lagging everyone else a little bit in growth numbers.
Speaker 1: All right. And if somebody was to be going through the process now of opening a brewery, is there anything like you can't really give direct advice. But what are some things that, um, that those new brewery should really look out for?
Speaker 2: I think any new brewery just really has to think about where they fit in this marketplace. Can you actually bring something new? And, you know, there are plenty of opportunities and lots of places still, so I'm never going to discourage someone who's passionate about this, who thinks they see an opportunity in the market. But, um, you know, I think they have to take a cold hearted look at where they're gonna fit in the marketplace. Can they differentiate? Can do they do something different? You know, there's a lot of choices, you know, Let's take a Seattle or Portland or Vancouver. There's lots of great beer in those cities. Um, so beyond the you're going to be new. You're gonna get that first year where people want to try because you're the new kid on the block. But in your two or three, what are you gonna do that makes you stand out that makes somebody spend their hard earned money? Go into your place as opposed to the other brewery that's gonna open the year after you and then beyond that, You know, when you look at Berea closings, there's a lot of reasons Berries closed. A lot of them are challenges of any small business. Just running business is hard to know, whether it's a brewery or or any kind of service, business or manufacturing business. But I would say the debt levels you really think about how much money you need to raise. And if you don't need to raise a ton of money to build a shiny new brewery, you know, debt levels and cash flow for the things that get the reason to a lot of trouble. So that's where you should spend. You know, a couple of you know, extra hard are hard nights, you know, going through the business model. Really thinking about that capital need cause that's where a lot of Marie's get themselves in trouble when they borrow more money than they need and can't have the cash flow generated toe. Meet those debt levels.
Speaker 1: And then we're recording this before the Great American Beer Festival. How are those numbers? Looking for participation again? This year is as the groaner is, it is.
Speaker 2: Ah, idiot. And I'm still holding steady. You know, we're fairly capped by space. Um, you know, I think that the final brewery number is gonna be, but, you know, somewhere between seven and 800 breweries, you know, we're gonna fill the Colorado Convention Center. We're gonna have, you know, nearly 4000 beers. Um, so pretty, pretty steady on the competition has grown. We're seeing lots of brewers more interested in the competition, I think. Then then the past. Partly That's a numbers thing. There's more brewery. So, um, if the same percentage of them are interested, then that goes up. But I think Barry's also recognized the value of something like that. Getting a critical feedback on your beers. You know, if you need to stand out, make sure making great beer. The G B F judges are as good as they come. Um, and to the recognition that you know, getting a medal could be one of those things. It gives you a little edge in the marketplace. So, you know, we're seeing festival hold pretty steady, mostly based on space constraints. And and I do think it's, you know, it's challenge for brewers toe, you know, send people across the country to take that weak, so don't want to diminish the cost involved for the brewers. And the competition continues to see, you know, increases every year as people are more interested in getting their beers judged.
Speaker 1: All right. And then, uh, what What is the favorite beer of yours? They're drinking at the moment.
Speaker 2: Um, you know, great question. This time of year, I always love Ah, the fresh hot beers we can. We can open the can of worms, whether you should say, fresh chopper went up, but for fresh, ah, peers. You know, to me you're the d true seasonal beer. You get him once a year, they come in. One of things I always love to is watching them come in with the harvest. So you can, you know, the ones that are the early harvested ones are gonna be the 1st 1 to hit shelves. Um, so I'm seeking those out. You know, I try to steer away from naming individual beer names. But I did have a field to ferment, um, last night, so that's always one of my favorites from from Fremont. But there's lots of Berries that do those. And if you have one on tap, that's probably what I'm gravitating to right now. All right, cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time and best of luck with the whole week that's about to hit for a great American.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. Thanks for having me again.
Speaker 1: Big, thank you. Depart for his time. We recorded that just before the Great American Beer Festival. So lots of prep going on that week before the event kicked off. And hopefully I can attend the Green American Beer Festival next year. Really looking forward to it. If you enjoyed this episode or think you know somebody that could really find this information useful, why not share this episode with them and make sure that your subscribe to the podcast on your favorite podcast half. So you never miss an episode. Thanks again for listening to this bonus episode. Really do appreciate your time and until next time, remember, support your local