Aaron Johnson: Welcome to the Cascadian Beer podcast. My name is Aaron and I'm a Cascadian. In this podcast series, I profile the unique breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bioregion in the Pacific Northwest in the North American continent. It's made up of the U. S. states of Washington and Oregon, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia. I was very fortunate to have a weekend trip in the Yakima Valley to witness the start of this year's hop harvest. Big shout to Sam Quinland for organizing the weekend. That was great, man, but it was really nice to meet a lot of people in the Yakima Valley beer community, and one of them being Varietal Brewing from Sunnyside, Washington. Founded in 2016, they've been a great addition to their local community.
Chris Baum: I'm Chris Baum, head brewer, co- owner at Varietal Beer Company.
Aaron Johnson: Where are we in the beautiful state of Washington?
Chris Baum: Right in the very middle of it. So, in the Yakima Valley, lower Yakima Valley, right in the middle of all of the hops. I think you saw that in your way in today.
Aaron Johnson: We have been driving around all weekend and God there was some beautiful ones when we're coming up. So this town is Sunnyside? Correct.
Chris Baum: Mm- hmm ( affirmative).
Aaron Johnson: What's the drive outside of Yakima?
Chris Baum: From my house to here is about 45 minutes.
Aaron Johnson: So, sweet.
Chris Baum: Oh, yeah. In the summer when the roads are good and in the winter about an hour.
Aaron Johnson: So, Varietal Beer Company, how long have you been open?
Chris Baum: We opened in April. We opened the taproom in April of last year, of 2018. Our brew equipment, there was a slight delay on it of about four months, so we decided to just have some contract beers made for us that we could open the tap room with, get some revenue going. Brew system landed in June of that year and then it took us about a month to get all the installation done. Then we brewed our first batch July 19, 2018, and then we didn't have our first beers on draft until early August of last year, of 2018. Ever since then, it's just been go time.
Aaron Johnson: So how did beer find you?
Chris Baum: I've been drinking beer since I was in my twenties. A buddy of mine, we used to home brew a bunch, this guy, I call him Dirt. That was like in 2003. I was brewing my first home brew batches, didn't really get serious about it until 2010 and that's when I kind of focused. I was still working as a biologist at that point and traveling a lot. So I would read a lot and listen to a lot of podcasts while I was out in the field, and then I'd come home and brew for a month and a half and then go back out for a couple months and come back and rack those beers. That got a little old so I decided I would, in my off time, volunteer my time and learn at a brewery here in town, actually called Snipes Mountain. I met this guy, Chad, who was the head brewer over there at that time and he offered me a job. That was part- time, like ten bucks an hour, washing kegs, mostly, but it was doing something with beer so I was happy. He decided to leave and go pursue a job in hops so I took over that job as head brewer at Snipes. I spent about two years there, beyond, as head brewer and then decided we were going to open this place. It's right around the corner so there was probably going to be a little bit of a conflict of interest, so I decided I would leave Snipes. I needed a job while we did this, which I thought was going to be six months or so, and it turned out to be two years.
Aaron Johnson: Well good thing you were like, I need a job while we're building it.
Chris Baum: So I went and got a job at Bale Breaker up in Moxee there with those guys. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. They make great beer, really organized.
Aaron Johnson: Quite a large kind of brewery too. Right?
Chris Baum: It's a regional. They've expanded a lot since I left, which was about a year and a half ago. They had just gone through an expansion right when I got there and that was, I said, " I could use a job", and they said, " Okay cool, you'll come help us figure out where we need people as we grow." I ended up brewing five days a week, which is great, and working in the lab there. I really got to fine tune my process. It was just a production job so I was just brewing and really missing the creativity of it. While I was there, we licensed our warehouse here. Our building was being built so we licensed that with our half barrel set up. We were brewing commercially half barrel batches for five or six months. It was pretty funny. You'd go to a bar and you're like, Oh we have beer, and they're like, " This is experal" and then it would be gone in like two hours and then you have to wait two weeks. That was super fun. It was good cause we got the brand going and we could legally contract beers at that point, so we did that. Got some stuff. Bail breakers and stuff at Snipes. Another little brewpub up in Natchez called Brown Yar brewed some beer for us.
Aaron Johnson: Sweet.
Chris Baum: A bunch of people actually, and now here we are.
Aaron Johnson: Here we are. So what's the size of the system in your brewhouse?
Chris Baum: Our brewhouse is a 10 barrel. Currently all of our SAR tanks are also 10 barrels. We're hoping to expand here soon into some 20 burrow fermenters. All made in the United States. Pinnacle, stainless, I can't remember what they call themselves, but made in Portland, Oregon.
Aaron Johnson: Right. So just down the road. Something breaks, get some parts, pretty easy.
Chris Baum: Yeah. Being in Sunnyside is great. It's a dairy town, so there's a ton of people who can fix things if you need to have things fixed. Also, obviously, great access to hops, but we also process a lot of fruit around here. Cherries, peaches, nectarines, all of the stuff that you want to use in beer. It's just all literally around the corner along with, if I need hops, I just go around the corner. Same with wine. It's a big wine area, so we have great access to wine barrels.
Aaron Johnson: which you've started aging some of your stuff, right?
Chris Baum: We actually had a barrel program before Oregon. We contracted some worth from bale breaker and did some barrel fermentations with Brett and then refruited. We did some refermentations in the same barrels with some local raspberries and blackberries, and those beers are just coming out now and that was like two and a half years ago, Brew program. It takes a long time.
Aaron Johnson: It is something that you're going to continue now, but in your own facilities, right?
Chris Baum: Yeah. We have like 40 wine barrels or something right now, all wild and sour stuff. That was actually the reason we started the brewery, was to be able to make farmhouse and, and wild stuff. Realizing down the road that we would need to brew clean beers because you make money on those a lot faster.
Aaron Johnson: And they take less time.
Chris Baum: A lot less time. And so we have very focused on wild and sour. Also really focused on lagers which obviously take time. That's one thing about our system is we have three bright tanks and usually you'd have, if you have a condition tank, you have four union tanks to one bright tank, have three bright tanks and four unis, but that's just because I like to age my lagers in a conditioning tank, not in the keg. So that's why we did that. Some people say we're crazy.
Aaron Johnson: So what was the communities response then when you opened? How was attendance at the brewery.
Chris Baum: People are excited, really excited. There was nothing in Sunnyside where you could go with your family and your dog and have a beer, and we have a food vendor on site every day we're open and a big yard outside and we're really focused on families spending time together.
Aaron Johnson: There's tons of board games and toys.
Chris Baum: Tons of board games, toys. Just this weekend we had a science programme focused on early childhood learning. They just learned about water out in the yard while their parents, you know, brought them, and then this lady led this class with these kids and they're running around out there in the yard and it's really, really cool. The community response has been better. We're always blown away. How gracious people are to us. All the high school reunions happen here and wedding pre parties and, it's been incredible. One of our local farms, they just celebrated their centennial. They had it here. It's the guy who takes our grains. So we're like, " yeah, of course you can have it here."
Aaron Johnson: So this is the hops growing region.
Chris Baum: Mm- hmm ( affirmative).
Aaron Johnson: What are some of your favorite hops that come out of here locally, and are you going to be making some fresh hop beers here in a few weeks? Cause we're just at the start of harvest weekend right here.
Chris Baum: We're making a lot of fresh hop beers. Last year we did four or five, did four here and I think we might've done one outside, I can't remember. This year we have fresh hops planned with Holy mountain out of Seattle, Stoop Brewing out of Seattle. We have a three- way collaboration. It's not a three way, but branded three way thing, but with Fort George and Wayfinder out of Portland and in, what's the name of the town where Ford George is?
Aaron Johnson: Astoria.
Chris Baum: Astoria. We're brewing with Barley Brown, out of Baker City, and a buddy of mine's coming up for that too, down in California, this guy, Charlie Johnson. Super rad guy, great brewing mind and a fun guy to hang out with and a great friend. So we have that going on. Whistle Punk out of Spokane, Single Hill and Brown Yar, we're doing an all- valley collab, so it'll be upper valley, mid valley and lower valley. I'm talking to Alex from Three Weavers right now about her, I don't know if she's available, but we're going to do a cashmere at the very end of the season. I love that hop. It's just a really exciting time to be here. People love fresh hops. I like making fresh shops, like drinking fresh hops. It's awesome.
Aaron Johnson: Right. So then you said they're going to get a couple more tanks in, but what's the future here, what's the plan? Are you going to do any packaging line, ship it out, or?
Chris Baum: We're talking about canning right now. For us, quality is everything and there's a lot of beer sitting on shelves right now, so we're being really cautious about that. We want to be able to control our own growth. We're not with a distributor. We have no plans to go with a distributor anytime soon in the state of Washington. If we go into Oregon, we have to. We want to grow, but we're not looking to be a large regional brewery by any means. We're very content with our little nook here in Sunnyside, and if we can continue to keep the community happy and full of good, I don't know, I think we make really good beer.
Aaron Johnson: And you do. You were very kind of bring a lot of crowds over to the place that we were staying at and these are solid beers man.
Chris Baum: Thanks.
Aaron Johnson: Absolutely love them.
Chris Baum: There's been a lack of good beer in this portion of the Valley. A lot of, you know what I mean? Snipes, it's 20 something years old and they've had a lot of success, but they kind of do what Snipes does and we wanted to provide something different than that. So that's what we're doing. I make pretty much all the decisions, as far as what we brew, how it's brewed. Definitely, my business partners, they have a ton of input but pretty much I have creative control over everything and it's really fun.
Aaron Johnson: Right.
Chris Baum: Yeah.
Aaron Johnson: So if somebody was wanting to go down the path of opening up a brewery themselves, what would be some advice you could give them?
Chris Baum: I would say get a job in a brewery for a couple of years and learn your shit. Just make mistakes on other people's dimes. I am not kidding. I get asked that question a lot and basically have a lot of money. Make sure that you understand that you are going to be given a pay cut because if you have enough money to open a brewery on your own, you're doing pretty well for yourself. But really I would stay focused on quality, have a plan and get some experience or plan on hiring someone who has a lot of experience and pay them well. That's my 2 cents.
Aaron Johnson: All right, cool. And your two favorite hop varieties here from the Valley? I mean cashmere, you already said.
Chris Baum: Cashmere, look, I'm a huge fan of cashmere. It's going to be more than two, just so you know.
Aaron Johnson: All right.
Chris Baum: Comet is always at the top of my list. Huge fan of citrus, obviously.
Aaron Johnson: I'm a sucker for citrus.
Chris Baum: Yeah, citrus. It's just really great hop. Man, we use a lot of, palisade, is a huge favorite of mine. I love palisade. I get a lot of people like raise eyebrows at me, but I mean you were drinking a lager last night. It's just a great clean American hop.
Aaron Johnson: It's so solid.
Chris Baum: Yeah, I love palisade. I use a lot of mosaic. I've been brewing with mosaic for a really long time, since before it was mosaic. Of course, all the HBC stuff is great. There's some exciting stuff coming out from HBC and there's a new one coming out called " Brew One" that was developed by Reggie Brulotte. I don't know if it was found or, I actually don't know. I've heard rumors about it. I don't want to speculate, but it is a weirdo, but in a good way. They just had a beer brewed the other day and it was pineapple, just this intense pineapple. But I could see it. If you weren't careful, it could go over into kind of a rubber tire store kind of the thing. But the beer that I had it in was from Hawes. They're an experimental brewery up in [ inaudible 00:15:43], I don't know what they call it, but my buddy Jeff and Max brewed that beer and it was good. It was really good, and so I'm excited to try that out. I know Perkins Jeff at YBH is talking about it too.
Aaron Johnson: I saw a couple of cans on his line there with some brew one in it.
Chris Baum: So it's a strange deck,
Aaron Johnson: Right.
Chris Baum: All the classics cascade. I actually like, I don't use it much, but I really love Columbus, early picked Columbus as an aroma hop is just super dank. It's a really nice dry hop. They're just in a rye beer. Really good. Yeah, I don't know. That was more than two.
Aaron Johnson: Yeah. There you go.
Chris Baum: At the top list; cashmere, comet. That's where I'm at currently. I can't get enough.
Aaron Johnson: Right. And then these co- labs that you mentioned for fresh hops, are they just going to be smashes or are they just going to be some different kinds?
Chris Baum: The Holy mountain one, we did it last year and I'm hoping that Collin will want to continue the tradition. It's early. We do have loads of farms just outside of Toppenish there. Did you meet Junior?
Aaron Johnson: No, I didn't.
Chris Baum: He's a great guy. That whole family is awesome. That's a (inaudible) .
Aaron Johnson: Sweet.
Chris Baum: Yeah. So hopefully Collin will continue to want to do that every year. But it's like a Keller pils.
Aaron Johnson: Awesome.
Chris Baum: So we use that more as an ingredient than a focus. We actually had a keg leftover. We just held it back and tapped it this May and it was brilliant. It was awesome. It wasn't a Keller beer anymore, but it was really good.
Aaron Johnson: Thank you so much dude for your time. Really appreciate it.
Chris Baum: Thanks for coming down.
Aaron Johnson: It's great. And it's a great facility you built, so.
Chris Baum: you're welcome back anytime.
Aaron Johnson: Thank you. Big thank you to Chris and the rest of the team at varietal for their time. Really appreciate it. It was great meeting everybody in Yakima too, by the way. Big shout out again to Sam Quinland from Lillooet, the hop farmer up there. So it was a great weekend. Looking forward to going back and exploring more of the Yakima Valley. If you enjoy this podcast series, I really hope you hit subscribe in your favorite podcast app cause that means you'll get the show when a new episode is released. If this is your first time here, you can dig back in the archives. There's a lot. This is episode 68 so there's a lot of episodes that checkout. If you want to follow us on social media, you can, by going to Facebook at facebook. com forward slash Cascadian beer, on Twitter at Cascadian beer and on Instagram at Cascadian beer podcast. For more info about this brewery and to see some photos from it, you can go to the website at Cascadian. beer. Thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate it. And until next time, remember, support your local.