Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the slow home podcast. This is the podcast all about slow living in a fast world.
Speaker 2: My name is Brooke McAlary.
Speaker 3: My name is Ben McAlary Welcome to Season 3 Episode 5 where look when you started this season you said I'm gonna talk to people from all walks of life. I was like I dig it but I would never have guessed that you today you'd be talking to someone that identifies themselves as a Silicon Valley geek.
Speaker 4: Three quarters of a like a dick nerd but a deep in a very in a very positive way and a very positive way. Yeah so on the face of it when you hear about my guess say you will question what any of this has to do with solely living socially. Katie Patrick is my guest today. And can I just say first thing I absolutely loved her. This is the first time I've met her. I have read her book and it is phenomenal. But first time I met her and there was just a kinship there. And again had you described her work to me before that I'd think well let's face it you know where where do I fit in where the shared values. Yeah yeah. Turns out there's a lot. Right. So Katie is a she's an environmental engineer and designer.
Speaker 5: And she is someone who applies data driven gamification and behavioural change psychology or big word all be words to fixing the world's environmental problems using technology and using data and using data to back it up. So this is someone who has created an app that maps green cover in cities in order to try and encourage leaders of those cities to increase that green color like a game.
Speaker 2: Who's got the greenest city. Exactly. So she's made a game almost of every city in the world comparing each other. And you're going to have the world's greener city.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. And this is this is part of what drew me in about her book. Her book is called How to save the world. That's a big title. It is. And the subtitle is How to make changing the world the greatest game we've ever played. Look it is such a cool concept. Right. It's magnificent because she goes into all of these examples of how we can use gamification and technology to get people excited about making change.
Speaker 5: And it's honestly something that I had never read it into my own detriment never really considered the role that technology and innovation will play in environmental change.
Speaker 3: Without giving away too much of the episode. You've got someone who's just created this app written this book. But where's the link to the slow movement.
Speaker 4: So we have an audience filled with people who want to effect change in the world. I think that's fair to say. But we also have an audience filled with people who don't necessarily know how to do that. Okay. And Katie's whole.
Speaker 5: Theory her thesis I guess is that we need to tap into our innate creativity our positive creativity in order to create these solutions to these enormous complex problems. That's the only way we're going to be able to do it to get super creative and funnily enough the neuroscience behind creativity says that if we are stressed. If we are in the executive functioning mode for too long if we fight or flight mode almost essentially then we cannot access our creative potential. So we need to slow down in order to access our creative brains. Slowing down isn't a nice to have. It's not a good thing for some people. It is an actual essential need for us. For those of us who want to change the world.
Speaker 2: That's what we need to move to a four day week right.
Speaker 4: Seriously I mean let's not get sidetracked. There are some really interesting case studies about this that are emerging in Australia. But that is the crossover. Katie essentially believes that we all need to slow down. We need to re prioritize our time and energy in order to access that creativity. And I'm here for it. This is such a great wide ranging conversation that I think everyone who wants to effect change social environmental familial like even just in your household. If you want to effect change in people who live with you or your neighbours. This is a great conversation. And what's more Katie's book is a fantastic guidebook to how to do that.
Speaker 2: Go over to slow your home dot com slash Season 3. To find out more about the book and the app and any other resources that Brooke and Kelly talk about and also you can head over to Katie Patrick dot com that's her home on the Internet.
Speaker 4: Absolute best place to go to find out everything that you want to know while you're over it slow your home.
Speaker 2: What do you check out slow beginnings. That's the name of our retreat that we've just launched.
Speaker 5: It is. So if you listen to last week's episode you would have heard that we have announced a new online retreat and we're really excited about it. It's called slow beginnings and that's because it is essentially the foundation course. It is a six week guided online retreat that involves a weekly lesson weekly tasks slash homework and some meditation guided meditations and a weekly live video call with everyone on the on the retreat.
Speaker 3: Plus myself and may sometimes I guess you can be invited if you're invited. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And at the end of that six weeks you will have developed a set of values and strategies and tools that will form the foundation of your your specifically slower life. It's really for people who want to make this change but don't know how to or for people who have started and have maybe not even back into old behaviors and patterns. So if you are finding yourself either frustrated at the life as you live it right now and want to make changes but don't know how to or if you're looking for accountability as well I think that is something that we're going to offer a lot of then head over to sell your home dot com slash beginnings. You can find out more you can sign up and you can be ready to go when we kick things off on the 8th of September 8th of September for six weeks.
Speaker 3: You know what it is. Also for I feel like at the end of this course people will then have. The. Ammunition to be able to have a conversation with someone to explain why they're doing what they're doing. Yeah do you know what I mean. I mean that's the hardest thing to a non slow person.
Speaker 2: That's the hardest conversation to have is saying why are you doing this again. Oh sort of declarative. This will give you the tools to have that conversation and the people to know exactly where you stand will give you clarity on why you're there.
Speaker 4: You know what your personal wants a little and then you can stand in anticipation of that. Let's be honest. To just to have clarity and to be able to communicate that is really important.
Speaker 2: Every story every person like we've said before it's going gonna be different for everyone.
Speaker 3: And that's where the homework comes in it's gonna give you your individual narrative of how to explain that to people.
Speaker 4: Exactly. So I'm really excited and I really hope that you come and join us and again head over to say your home dot com slash beginnings and I'll see you there first. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Enjoy my conversation with the delightful Katie Patrick Katie hello how are you. I'm great thanks.
Speaker 7: So lovely to speak to you. I've been head down in your book over the past few past few weeks but particularly the past few days I've been preparing and I'm so excited to talk to you about it because I think that perhaps people wouldn't would look at your bio for example as you know a as an environmental engineer and designer someone who you know applies gamification to solving environmental issues and in slow living and wonder where the crossover is. But having read your book there are so many places for us to dive in and so many places that your work and slow living come together in a way that I think listeners are really going to love because essentially my audience is full of people who want to change the world but may not necessarily know the best way to go about it and that's what you're all about how to change the world. So I actually want to start with optimism because if we are remotely interested in the world and the environment and the direction that we're heading as humans it's really easy to feel overwhelmed and hopeless which is something I talk to people a lot about you know the news feels like it's all bad.
Speaker 6: And I think that has a way of making us feel like there's no point in trying. But you write about this in the book and you write about it so beautifully because you said we do have a choice you know do we bury our heads in the sand. Do we get angry do we get aggressive or do we tap into optimism and you very much are in the camp of tapping into optimism. You told me the power of it in the face of these huge issues that we're facing in the world at the moment.
Speaker 8: Yeah well to start with the world isn't as bad as people think it is. Negative news tends to get a lot of psychological traction with us because we are kind of sensitive to fear responses. But if you look at the amount of solar panels that are getting installed is going exponentially up actually the amount of carbon dioxide that America and Australia are putting out not just per person but as a whole country is actually going down. Many forest areas around the world are actually being replanted. There is an enormous amount of positive progress going on in the world. So I just wanted to kind of like burst that bubble if anyone's in a sort of a negative doom loop of thinking that although there are still bad things going on in the world as an overall trend over the last couple of hundred years most of the things that you could measure are actually getting better except for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. That's scary. But there's a lot of great good news in the world to focus on that is that is measurable. So once you kind of start to understand that the world is really on going in a positive direction it's not going in a negative direction just because you saw something that was really scary on Twitter which I don't mean to say that to sound condescending but there are a lot of scary things on social media. It's easy to just see them and not see everything else. Once you got to realize that the data is actually showing that the world is going in. A really wonderful direction and things actually are getting better kind of takes the burden off that to not be thinking in that kind of doom that doom way and you can start getting into this optimistic headspace.
Speaker 9: And the reason why we need to be in this optimistic world view is that the process of making the world better involves being able to imagine the destination you want to go like for example if you want to build a garden in your backyard a beautiful garden that goes through and has flowers and everything you need to first imagine that you need to imagine that future reality and you have to have an optimistic view that you're actually able to build that garden.
Speaker 10: You have to make a mental model that's called the positive constructive imagination you can have it in your mind and then you can reverse engineer that and then you do all the things that you need to do. Find the plants and make the soil and do the compost etc. dig weed to make that happen.
Speaker 9: And that's the essential part of the creative process. And now you would not be able to build that garden in your backyard if you did not feel optimistic that you could achieve that goal that you could actually make it happen.
Speaker 8: So optimism is a part of being able to actually first sort of imagine this destination of the world where you want to go. This is better beautiful inspiring world. And then be able to actually do all the stuff that it takes to get there and optimism is very good for you. It's actually like a vitamin. If you look up up the health benefits of optimism everyone should get on Google now and look up the health benefits of optimism will you find that optimists are happier optimists are healthier optimists live longer optimists get paid more optimists to save more money. Optimists are able to achieve the goals that they set for themselves. Optimists work harder although not really all about it's working harder. I'm sure in this community. But generally it's like it's really good for you and it allows your brain to be in a more peaceful optimistic happy state means that your brain is in a healthier place. You're not releasing fear chemicals and doing chemicals and closing your consciousness off. So you really want to have optimism threaded through everything that you do and it's not this like la la land it's actually about being able to imagine the destination of what you want to go and have the confidence and have the dopamine in the brain to get you to that destination just the same way as you building your own vegetable garden in your backyard.
Speaker 6: And that's the difference isn't it that it's not this pie in the sky kind of you know airy fairy woo woo idea. It is actually real creative imagination. What if someone who doesn't know the difference. You know what. How can you differentiate between the two.
Speaker 8: Well first I don't think there's anything wrong with pie in the sky imagination. I mean why not. You know I mean let's say one thing that we need the world needs to have is solar panels on every roof. Right. So we might need to install say a million solar panels that's a lot of solar panels. Do you want to go about that project of trying to figure out how to install a million solar panels with all the different politics and the different homeowners and different financial situations of everybody being like oh that's just never going to happen. The government's against us. World's full of corporations that are you know that are really greedy people are really selfish. The you know by the time we do it it's not going to be worth it anyway because it all the glaciers will be melted and then you know just like right now we're just being really angry and it's being like well it's not my responsibility that somebody else should be doing it. You know that kind of thinking is not going to achieve what you are that kind of pessimistic thinking it's not going to get you to install those solar panels if you think Okay everybody we got to install a million solar panels that's a really ambitious target. We can both imagine maybe maybe do call it pie in the sky imagination and you might be in that headspace which I think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 10: You need to be pretty optimistic to believe that you can do it like if you're going to run for something like the president of the United States. I mean you would have to be pretty optimistic but you think you've got a chance at winning something that difficult if you want to install the million solar panels you need to be optimistic that you actually believe that you and your team and all the people working with you and your ideas are going to be able to get you there.
Speaker 6: Yeah okay. So I think that's that's the for me that's the key. You actually need to believe it so it can be as fanciful or as pie in the sky as we were saying as you want as long as there is a genuine belief in your ability to unpack the problems and solve them as you discover them.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah. Like for example it's something I'm working on now. It's trying to increase green cover in cities so we get satellite images of the the green cover and satellites can figure out what's a plant and what's not a plant. Through the infrared spectrum and then we can work out okay. One city has like 12 percent forest cover. But we want the city is better for a city to get up to you know 20 or 40 percent forest cover not forest. But urban forest trees green roofs parks et cetera. And now I if I'm going to work on this and make this happen I need to be optimistic that I'm gonna be able to achieve my goal of getting the city from 12 percent up to 40 percent and I'm going to be able to push on all levers in the city and try and help get them to plant more trees and more green space.
Speaker 9: So it's it's basically just having a goal and believing that you can get there and then comes the real innovation bit which is how do you reverse engineer that to actually come true. That's where all the creativity and the innovation comes from.
Speaker 6: Yeah I guess so. Okay. And which is one of the things that I mean when I was reading it in the book it it's it's very rational to say well of course we need to imagine First we need to be optimistic we need to come up with this solution and then we reverse engineer to to actually come up with the the you know the the physical solutions and to to deal with any of the obstacles that come up. And that makes perfect sense. And it's sort of highlighted to me why so much of the messaging around current climate crisis and environmental issues maybe isn't hitting home for people who aren't already there because it's all negative. I mean almost all of it is negative and it's not that it's not true but that negative messaging does that not inspire change nearly as much as an optimistic sort of view.
Speaker 8: Not really. You may need a tiny bit of it. I think that the negative stories need to be dialed back about 90 percent. They should maybe be take about 10 percent of the conversation because I think it's good to have a little bit there to people that people know the seriousness and then the other 90 percent needs to be made about a vision of where we want to go. And it's not so much that it's sort of as simple as you know a positive energy is good. Negative message is bad. It's that with any type of message you put out there you need to drive human beings to take an action to do a thing. You know they might be switching to an electric vehicle. It might be a mayor implementing a policy. Might be getting people to vote on something it might be getting a school to put trees in. It could be anything from a single person maybe you're trying to affect someone quite senior who's going to affect a lot of people but you can't effect change. This is actually affecting a human being to do a thing.
Speaker 10: So using the positive parts of the brain the parts that give us rewards like make us feel good I can make it like smiley faces and people say you doing a great job and feeling like there's an aspirational life ahead of us that we can go towards. That's what big fashion brands to present this aspirational life that we can. There are these really positive things we're going to get out of these actions. They're the things that are going to make us identify with those things and really want to be a part of it. Like if you someone who identifies really positively with veganism and you think that's healthy that's gonna make me more beautiful and I'll have more friends and I'll be this great vegan person.
Speaker 9: And you have all these positive associations with veganism you're going to be really attracted to engaging in the actual behavior which is not supporting animal agriculture. You want to be a part of that role if you have a really sort of negative attitude about it you know it's not going to trickle through to the behavior. So it's really more about thinking about it like a behavioral driver. What creates action and the creating the aspirational yes for people like the mental aspirational place. That's a that's a good time. Good things will happen in your future if you do this. That's a better way to get people to act.
Speaker 6: Have you heard of the documentary 2040 that was released earlier this year.
Speaker 9: Oh I've seen the trailer for it. But I have the whole thing.
Speaker 7: Reading your book and listening to you now it reminds me very much of what you talk about you know presenting people with this hope filled option for 20 40 and I walked away from that the screening of that documentary feeling so full of hope and so energized that I went and made significant changes to the way that we were living literally overnight because it gave me something to work towards.
Speaker 11: Damon Damon Comeau who created it that was his vision from the beginning. It was giving people a different story to believe in one where we do make changes and we do use the best technologies and innovations at our fingertips now to create this better future and it's fantastic. I don't think it's out in the States yet but when it when it is I definitely recommend for anyone everyone to take a look because it's probably one of the most hopeful things I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 8: Oh that's beautiful to hear. I'm excited to see it. I was really excited to see it but it's so warming to hear that you had that you had that experience with it.
Speaker 11: Yeah. No it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: I want to shift gears a little bit to talk about creativity because you've just written a book called How to save the world which at its core looks at creativity and how to get into the creative process so we can come up with these great ideas and innovations that will change the world and really what struck me about this whole part of the book is that in order to access the truly deeply creative parts of our brain we need to slow down. So can you explain to me why slowing down is necessary and what the relationship is between slowing down and creativity.
Speaker 8: Yeah well that is the nexus between the slow home podcast your movement and and coming up with the ideas that will change the world in the modern world where people are really busy. We tend to use what's called the cerebral cortex engaged in executive tasks like things that you're busy concentrating writing an email or maybe you're drawing something on you it is something technical on your computer getting things done. And also if we are stressed then we've got the amygdala taking sort of some dominance over the brain producing the fight or flight response. Now if we're very highly strung stressed out by doing messages about the planet or just life in general that can actually reduce the brain's cognitive function by 30 percent. So if you're actually trying to do the technical side of coming up with ideas or implementing ideas putting this negative shroud stressful and negative shroud or any brain 30 percent is a lot to lose. Now if you're only engaging in that executive function all the time you know being busy being productive getting things done you're not taking space to have all of that stuff chill out for a bit and use what's called the default mode network and this is research pitch day research. Here's another great podcast called The Psychology podcast called Scott Barry Kaufman. He shot a rebranded as the Imagination Network because what happens when you just chill out and you stop being busy all the time. Stop being stressed and you can just daydream look out the window. Just kind of sit back and think about stuff. Those are the parts of the brain turn often in this default default mode network otherwise known as the Imagination Network starts to get activated and that's why you had to have ideas new ideas and new creative connections start to come out and you might have experienced it sometime yourself Are you really really busy one day and then you just stop and then you look out the window for two hours maybe not everyone does this and then does something just comes here. You're just like yes that that you know and if you're not making space in your life if you're not opening your hours of your day up to just kind of like a bit of nothing time to just let that default mode network kind of like get activated you're not going to be able to delay making new Creative Connections in the way that if you just look really really busy all the time. And another thing that's interesting about this kind of imagination and this default mode network is that you can have two types of imagination like a good one and a bad one. So the default mode network can take you down a bad path which is called the neurotic imagination which is where you look out the window and then you're like we're all going to die. Glaciers are going about husbands going to leave me no bills to pay. And then you just like horrible things happening should never been born. You don't have an active negative loop.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. That's not a positive active imagination. And you can get that way about anything. But if you specifically go out to create time to use the positive constructive imagination which is you lay back look up to the clouds and think What would the city what would a city look like.
Speaker 8: Or maybe a school or my own garden or my town look like if it was totally environmentally sustainable and beautiful and happy and creative and just laid it open leave that open question and you can only do that if you are in the slow lane space.
Speaker 10: So we all have to get into that headspace to help get our best creativity out so we can have this ideas and this energy to make the world come true.
Speaker 6: So that excites me to no end for so many reasons because it it is solid evidence that slowing down is necessary. It's not just a nice to have it's not just you know something that only some people get to do. Maybe it is something that some people feel like others only others get to do. But I think that embracing this idea of daydreaming or for me it often happens if I go for a bushwalk you know I'll go for a wander it's nothing strenuous I'll just go wandering in the trees and a problem that I've been mulling over will obviously be working its way in the back of my head and suddenly this solution or this this new idea of this imaginative reaction will spring out of my brain. And it's one of the most incredible feelings you know. So I think it's really exciting that we have scientific evidence as to the importance of this. And then it also gives people the opportunity to dive into their own creative imagination and start coming up with solutions. Now I think that what some people listening to this might struggle with is that tension right between wanting to do and change and shift and grow and the need to slow down and allow ourselves and our creative impulses to do their thing. Do you have any any tips or suggestions on how to manage or how to even explain that tension to ourselves and explain to us homes why it actually really is important if we're striving to make the world a better place to do nothing for a little while is necessary.
Speaker 8: Well I've come to the world view that channeling the creative force to make the world a better place is the meaning of life. Like I didn't start with that. But over the years and especially over the last two years when I've really focused on it it is just rewards you back to no end. If you revolve your life around you know getting things done and getting your inbox empty every day and saving money and this can be you can do this as an environmental activist or as a right wing polluting banker. This doesn't mean that if you run an organic food shop and you plant trees with children you can still be in that type of mindset of just busy busy getting things done all the time. It's not like those of us trying to make the world a better place are somehow just naturally freed from it. If you're always in that you're not going to be tapping into your true essence. So what I'm just trying to get here is getting a deeper value system right and then developing your whole life around this deeper value system that every single person has a unique something inside them world genetically different whole when born into the world with different families different places different countries and so we really do have something that's scientifically unique and we can have something to offer with what we have. And I think getting into that finding that special everything Oprah calls a unique fingerprint of the soul or whatever channeling that in a way that it's going to make the biggest contribution to the world. That's why we're here. That's what it's all about. So if you bring that rather than having that is like a far distant moon in your kind of solar system of your life but you bring it down to be the sun of your life. This is what I've done the last few years of my life. I make that the kind of sun of my world view and the way I manage my day. It's not something I'm willing to compromise on and I think once it gets deeper into your value system you can be like well I'm just gonna make those two hours. I don't care what it takes. I will make those two hours to get into that space and then cleaning the house and paying the bills and all those things come after that. And since I've started doing that I mean it's it's made a profound change in my life. I feel like I've been able to just like gather all this creative force and share it with people and build this community and create all these new interesting connections interesting projects etc.. I mean there's nothing about it that I have not even an atom of regret about. It's it's profoundly rewarding. So I don't know if I completely answers the question but I think if you just make that your central value system it's kind of like you know some people think that like they go to the gym at 5:00 a.m. no matter what. It's a little bit like that. Yeah. You just you do it no matter what because that's what all the good things in life come from. It doesn't mean you become responsible but you just kind of make it center to your core way that you run your life.
Speaker 6: And I think that's the key. You know it's sort of a reprise realisation isn't it really sort of doing some hard work and some hard work and figuring out what your truest values or your you know your highest priorities are in life and kind of get big picture about it.
Speaker 12: And then shifting the way you do things in order to send to that. Yeah I think I mean I really think that that's at the core of any change that we make it's where we're choosing to do things with our time and our energy. So perhaps if we step back and ask if what we're doing with our time and energy right now is serving us and serving a greater purpose we feel like we have in the world or if it's something we can shift. Yeah I think that's really really good advice. Yeah it's really solid advice. And the funny thing to me about slow living and you know it's often tied to the idea of simple living is that none of it is is simple. It's quite complex to to work this stuff out but at the heart of it figuring out what our highest priorities and values are does simplify things because it's like well yes I will get up and go to the gym at 5:00 a.m.. Yes I will give myself two hours of creative imagination space in which I can do nothing and see what comes of it. Yeah I think that it's you know its intention really isn't it. It's living intentionally.
Speaker 8: Yeah well I I get up every morning and I will I aspire I try to live this way every day and get up and I aim before anything by somebody. There is a child drop off somewhere in this in this morning. But I try and say well the universe what do you want me to do. It's kind of like a question like How can I best channel my creative force to do the most good in the world. I don't do this before cleaning before having a shower before any yoga classes before checking my email social media all of that. It gets top priority and it's not through having enormous amounts of time or money or privilege. It's just a value system I've adopted to be the most rewarding rewarding for management. And I do that. And then I spend after I've done a couple of hours that I spend the rest of the day trying to you know just normal life life management stuff. But in terms of where this fits in with being slow or kind of simple or minimalism is that in order to do this I had to shred my life values way back into what I thought was most important. And someone asked me this yesterday on another another podcast. Something about you know life goals whatever and I said I don't have any life goals anymore. I'm not trying to like reach a savings goal or a social media followers goal or a certain sort of life you know bucket list stuff I've just shredded it right back and all I try and do is channel my creative force to do things that are good and interesting in the world and have my human relationships with people and my child and I realize that that's kind of all I need in life really. You know people pay me to do stuff and that's that's cool. And the more creative work I do the more people find me and hire me to do stuff. So that kind of pays the bills and you know and I get great human relationships with that good a great child. And. I don't need any big goals to stress out over.
Speaker 13: So it's more like living in the present moment channeling the energy rather than hurry hurry hurry. Trying to achieve some thing.
Speaker 11: Mm hmm. Does that does it make sense. It does. It makes a lot. It actually makes a lot of sense. I think it's quite counter to the way most people live. So I've spoken to people about this before as well.
Speaker 12: You know the idea of living without goals or living without those big lofty ideas that we're working and striving towards and it's not something that a lot of people can do without a huge amount of reshaping the way they live and think about this sort of stuff because I think that's like that's what we're taught. That's what you do. That's what success is. It's having a goal and striving until you get there. And then what you come up with another goal but what I love is that you've essentially centred your life around this value. You know these these two or three values and everything else ebbs and flows. And I think that that is kind of simplicity in action. And to me it's slow living in action even if it doesn't feel slow even if it's not looking slow in the normal sense. It's essentially you're essentially someone who has figured out what's important to you and you've made space for it by letting go of other things. And I think that that's a really admirable way to live and to bring it back to your book. That's how people find the time and the space to make big changes for themselves in the world. I think it's um it's something we all benefit from doing a little bit more. I'm curious did you ever do an exercise or anything to to highlight what your personal values were. I mean I wrote my eulogy when I was in my early 30s and that helped enormously actually.
Speaker 10: I've heard that people really get a lot out of that.
Speaker 11: Yeah. What about you. Did you did you have a moment or a catalyst or you know some sort of exercise that you did or was this just something you arrived at organically.
Speaker 8: I don't think there was a singular moment but it was something that formed over a few years. There were two books that took me a lot closer to this world the kind of daily practice I do now. And one was called the big leap by Gay Hendricks who talks about your genius zone and that you know you've really got to sort of step into what I call the creative genius so and I said the word creative on top. But it's just that one thing that you are kind of supremely excellent at or love to do or get the most joy out of and then you know no matter what happens carving out time to do that and trying to get that to take up you know at least 50 percent of your work life you never get it 100 percent because there's stuff to do. But some people it's like how often. How many what percentage of your time do you spend in your creative genius sign. People like nothing zero. Never. You know you want to get that at least like a little bit get it up. And so when I read that I was like Okay I'm going to commit to at least an hour every day seven days a week no matter what. And that's another uncle by Eric myself called the artist within. He talks about the same thing that was he talks about like you can't clean the house go to yoga drop the tile off pay all your bills check your e-mails and then do it. And then by the time it's three or four o'clock and you're exhausted you have to do it. If it means getting up at 4:00 in the morning you know you do it then you do it before all the other stuff you have to ruthlessly prioritize your creative slow in killing time before otherwise the rest of life just cannibalize it. And then what are you left with. And then people say things like I don't know who I am anymore. Life's missing me by I've lost my identity. That's having a family and being married and when you make this ruthless sort of time thing. So those two books really pushed me in this in this direction but also a few years before that it was about when my company green pages were closed down in 2010.
Speaker 13: I mean I had lived the opposite of slow. I worked 100 hours a week worked so hard at the office at 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning we'd stay till 10:00 or even midnight.
Speaker 8: Most nights of the week or work all weekend you know and I had built this company and then a I got really burned out and then the company had died and I wasn't too worried about that because I'd sort of become exhausted by it anyway and I kind of wanted to close it up. And even though it was all a save the world company it was all about the environment. I really experienced how achievable these goals I keep so many goals that people would see as conventionally successful.
Speaker 13: Now it's invested in by the Murdoch company I've been on the front cover of BMW and just like several newspapers in Australia and on the ABC and the ABC and the Channel Ten years and all these magazines is in vogue twice.
Speaker 8: Had I had 15 employees the company was multi-million dollar valued on paper. I did all that stuff and then I realised that it all just sort of comes and goes and it doesn't really mean anything and it can go just as quickly as it comes and you can be doing one thing that's fabulous. Having a red carpet one moment and then now a lady crying with your boyfriend and you feel really alone that everything's bad like this all that stuff that doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 13: It doesn't necessarily mean your life is good. Life can be very bad in some ways. Also have good external things. I just realised that none of it really mattered and the only way to forge forward was to go through something really kind of purely creative and authentic and just let my life shape around that instead of racing to get to the next million this thousand that or whatever.
Speaker 11: Like I'd been doing in my 20s because I think I mean ultimately what I discovered with goals like that or particularly external validation or external signs of success is you part of you things were part of me thought.
Speaker 12: Once I get there then I'll be happy. Once I do this then I'll be happy. Once I meet this goal then I'll be happy and you get there and you realise that just hiding behind that goal is another one and hiding behind that one is another one. It's sort of this relentless pursuit of happiness that I've only ever found by turning inward and shifting my priorities to two other things you know to away from goals away from external signs of success or status or or whatever it was that I used to pursue.
Speaker 6: And it is it is really incredibly liberating. I mean I think you've taken it to a place that I I hope to get you know by. Your main focus of life is to is to focus and operate within your creative genius zone and I think it's fantastic. Can I Can I ask what does it look like if you give yourself two hours a day to be in this creative energy. What does that look like for you.
Speaker 12: Is it the same all the time or do you just let yourself be led by what's happening in you in your head or in your your heart or whatever.
Speaker 8: Oh I often work on different things depending on what's going on and I don't want to oversell it. It's like the perfect recipe for making everything work. I really really don't want to feel like I've figured out all the acts of that ego but it does figure out one really big answer which is meaning and purpose.
Speaker 13: I never feel that I have an existential gap of meaning and purpose and I feel pretty awesome about that and I have a lot of great relationships in my life surrounding that so that's great.
Speaker 8: And but all the other stuff in life always full of challenges. So my process is or has been the last few years incredibly unglamorous and messy. So some people think it's like I wake up and then I have like a peppermint tea and then I meditate on the moon and then I do like a little chat. Then I get on my computer and I write. It's not like that at all. It's like depending on how motivated I am sometimes I put my alarm on like we're going to early like 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning. Sometimes I just wake up like a normal hour more like six or seven being normal and whatever project is going I just like open up my computer and I hit it. That was the book. This is how the book written before the child wakes up. I just open it up and I hit it and I'm just like get another three pages written or get off and I do like concept design or user interface design for environmental software. So I get ideas just constantly all the time for environmental and kind of change ideas. I just open up photoshop. I just hit it. Then maybe an hour or two later the little girl wakes up and so I give us some breakfast.
Speaker 13: Sometimes I'll take her to preschool sometimes I'll put her on a cartoon she wants to watch you catch her in for an hour or two. Sorry. Hashtag bad parenting.
Speaker 8: Bad parenting goes into this. So yeah anyway um. And then I kind of just make a little whatever I feel I have a little sense of achievement from it. It'll be like finishing a design. Designers usually take me two or three hours so I'll be like cool I got that something that's kind of shareable on Twitter you know like OK well I got something nice it's finished I can share it. And then that's like.
Speaker 14: Tweeted out and then I feel like it's done well sometimes it's writing sometimes I'll work on something that's written but it's usually just it's either a part of one big project like the book was like did that everyday for six months and that's how the book got done. And then other times I'm trying to get through a whole bunch of concept designs that's many little designs. And sometimes I just feel something that's has been buzzing in my head for like three years I'm like like I just did this one the other day which I call the compost to Tron which I had sort of five years ago. But I had forgotten it for five years and then one day I was at the beach and I remembered the composted Tron which is like a garbage can shaped like a robot but it only takes compost because you know you can't compost your new out on the street at the mall on the street. You have to like if you really devoted you like you banana peel under a shrub somewhere and I thought you know there's no way to do this.
Speaker 8: And I've read all these behavioral research that shows if you make a garbage can look like a fun animal people a little less like I put stuff in it because they get attracted to the novelty of the eating. Yeah. And also because it's like something animate with like eyes. You know I like it I mean a robot maybe it's sort of like a board because people get like an emotional attachment to something that's it's real then they. So they made these trash cans look like birds the litter went substantially down because people were attracted to the bird thing. So anyway that's the kind of like design theory. And one day I woke up and I was like the compost to chew on this has to be put out. So I spent like three hours. It's got nothing to do with anything I'm working on at all. And then I just put it together and then I put it out on Facebook and Twitter and everyone's like oh this is the coolest. So fun. I don't know if it'll ever turn into like a real startup or a project but I'm really happy I did it and I'm happy it's out there and it's something it's like on my website and maybe one day we'll build it. So that's just a little random example of just something that just popped into my head and I do it and sometimes it's more substantial sort of big project.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I mean I love that though because I guess in the as you said sometimes it's a big project and that just feels like a grind. You know writing a book is a grind. No matter how passionate you are about what you're writing about. I mean it's it's hard work. So sometimes that's what playing and working in your creative genius looks like. But I love it. Other times you get to insert all that myself to do this compost to try and or work on this thing that I can get done in a couple of hours and no it's not adding up to some bigger thing but it is I mean it is adding up to a bigger thing.
Speaker 15: It's adding up to your output over years and years and I think sometimes we get very I get very earnest about things like what is the greater purpose in this.
Speaker 6: And I think it's nice to know that by inviting this creative space into our lives sometimes it does look like what we used to call the destruction. You know we used to call wasting time.
Speaker 15: I feel like maybe the idea of wasting time necessarily exist when you're in that zone.
Speaker 8: Well I don't buy that. Well view of wasting time. I call it creative channeling. Yeah. You know it's all wasting time. It's creative channeling the purpose of the universe through you while you're alive as an organism. The universe has been evolving since it started many billions of years ago. You're here. It's trying to get you to do stuff channel it's force of evolution. You're just letting it do its job through you as the tool. And if you if you start to think about it as wasting time that's a very negative. That seems like a very corrosive way to think.
Speaker 11: Yeah I agree. And it's funny I used to think a lot of what I was doing was wasting time and nothing good came out of that. You know it's when you allow yourself to be playful and curious and creative access that sort of positive creative imagination so much more springs out of it.
Speaker 12: It grows from there. I feel like if you shut things down by saying it's just a waste of time I mean nothing's going to grow there is it.
Speaker 8: No and you never really know what leads to what you know sometimes you know you do a bunch of stuff that doesn't really lead anywhere. Or something times you do something that does lead lead somewhere. I was just it just had a like a Skype meeting with a guy. I think it was like three weeks ago. I never met him before and he was like all we're doing all this stuff with augmented reality terms like see like the environment through the glasses. And I was like That's cool. You know these glasses that you're like a little hologram and then I was like hey you know we need to do we need to have like an urban corridor you like walk down then you can see the air pollution and you can like see the energy efficiency of the buildings and then everybody suddenly gets excited about sustainability because they can see it in this augmented way. I'm like That's cool right. So I just hit photoshop I had these ideas and I was like oh I could be like waste of time. That's not immediately you know like a jobs to do. Yeah. But I was like I really got this idea buzzing in my head I gotta to get on Photoshop so I spent the weekend maybe it was I didn't I would've been 10 hours at the most doing those three prototype designs I put them out on Twitter CEO of magically who's a billionaire comments on them and chairs and then everyone else starts getting excited about it then they all these introductions start happening. And then it was really just a few hours of my time and then I just put it out there and then it's like all this kind of cool stuff this is happening now from what was really quite a fairly small slither of my time investment but I just kind of let the energy take me over instead of squishing it out and being like no yoga class clean do laundry and I'll be it my child did watch cartoons that time I was a really bad parent that time right.
Speaker 13: You know I really wanted me to kind of if I was always going to be the perfect parent I would have gotten up early and taken her up a mountain but I kind of make that judgment call that ultimately you know you can't do everything perfectly. So I chose to do that. And then you know next weekend I'll take her up the mountain.
Speaker 15: So this is the thing. This is why I think so many of us wander around feeling so pressured by life you know achieving quote balance in life. I'm all about tilting and you tilt into the creative project that has got your blood pumping this weekend and then next weekend you tilt into going for a hike or you tilt into a camping trip or you tilt to going to the movies. You know I just I truly believe that we carry around so much guilt and stress and pressure placed on us by these expectations of being perfect and that in itself shuts down for me that shuts down energy and creative thinking and my ability to just kind of go with the flow of things more. So that's why I'm all about to do. I mean there's nothing wrong with allowing kids to hang out and watch screens for a few hours if you've got something you're working on.
Speaker 12: I really truly believe that because I think that that's just another way of shutting down the goodness that you've got inside you.
Speaker 15: And then we wouldn't have had your your workout and you know none of that would have happened had you been too worried about doing the right thing at this exact moment in time to do the right thing.
Speaker 8: I got plenty of parent guilt though don't worry.
Speaker 11: I think we all do that as well.
Speaker 8: It's not perfect but I think I did the textbook and I I actually wrote down all the reasons why I'm a terrible mother. I write down I write and 18 things because I got carried so much guilt I really got to process this and I looked through it all and I was like Okay I got to do something about this. Brushing teeth you know really you know they've gotta get on the brushing teeth thing a lot more and got to eat more fruit and vegetables. And so I kind of felt so guilty I went and invested in a bunch of improvements in the in the parenting. But also I see all these are the women with with children being a highly structured about the way they a mother that they're children and putting a lot of stress on themselves but I'm not sure if it's really necessary you know like dinner has to be exactly six five after 6:00 and bedtime is exactly 730. I have never followed a bedtime never once. I always know what they are like. We go to bed whenever we feel like it and we're just not that much later than 730 maybe nine. But you know sometimes it is bad. It's like 11 p.m. but it is following this like as soon as I have a child like the massive structure comes on. Yeah. Bedtime bedtime dinner. And you don't have to.
Speaker 10: There's no law that says you have to feed your child at this exact time and be here at this time and do that by that and that their clothes have to be perfectly clean. That's a great deal of stress to adopt that their child probably doesn't even notice.
Speaker 12: Yeah it's really interesting actually I think I felt you know when I first became a mom for the first few years I really did try and stick to what I thought I should you know quote should be doing which was having this very structured sort of existence and I don't know if they're related and I said I was suffering with postnatal depression at the same time so whether that had something to do with it too. But I was deeply unhappy all through that period and it was this gradual learning to let go of what I thought I should be doing and doing more of what felt right with my kids and with myself and the way we run the house. It's sort of a lowering of standards it's letting go of what other people think and of expectations and it's working with the flow of things rather than kind of rigidly sitting in it and not moving. And for me I can only speak about my experiences but I know I found a lot more freedom in the flow of things rather than that rigidity. But I do know that there are a lot of people who find it comforting I think to to have when you got kids you know what it's like there isn't really like they don't they kids don't operate on a timetable they just don't. Babies don't toddlers don't. Older kids don't. And I think that for me anyway it was trying to find control in amongst a world like a life that didn't feel like there was any. And it's been interesting like the letting go of that has actually given me the freedom that I was craving.
Speaker 8: I was trying to find time for myself by structuring and regimented everything and it didn't work because I was too busy worrying about the next thing I needed to do was letting go was was actually the key for me in finding that yeah I think often these days these experiences that are very negative like you have some severe depression or something very difficult happens in your life and you have to confront it because life's pushed you into a corner and if you don't figure it out then you just get more cynical more depressed and have more anxiety attacks or whatever. So I think you know it's it's cool to when you have a very negative response to something to look at it almost like a like a gift it's like something's going to tell you like there's a breakthrough and it's really hard to do at the time because you like the way it's going to end you know. But to see it like it's a it's a door to open to the next level of enlightenment.
Speaker 13: And I think when you see it that way like I remember once feeling like I saw it in so much emotional suffering months I was driving through San Francisco it was being like why is my life so hard this is so difficult. Having a child and being kind of self employed on my own and I don't have close family and friends here the way I do back in Australia and then I was like What is it trying to tell me. What is this sadness I'm experiencing trying to teach me right now but is some door I have to get through and I just got this big like message from it you know like kind of like you know that evolution of generation after generation after generation. It was like well you know my job is to evolve you know from where my mother was and her job she evolved from where her mother was and this is kind of like my thing I have to overcome to evolve to the new place and then my daughter Anastasia. She'll evolve and I'm kind of like an ant in a place on a very long continuum of women.
Speaker 8: And I just kind of saw it as like this quest and it just felt the sad this took a totally different shape. Then after that I love.
Speaker 12: I love that idea of sort of communicating with it and saying well what am I what am I learning from this. It trying to show me. And I also love the idea that I've never thought of it that way. You know this this continuum of individuals like evolution kind of it's all leading up to something it's different for every person. That's really incredible. Kelly I could talk to you for hours about everything but I just wanted to say thank you so much for. Joining me on the show and also thank you for writing your book. It's it's really genuinely incredibly powerful and I think that anyone listening who is interested in social change or environmental change or changing the world saving the world even if it's you know your small corner of your thinking globally to go and get a copy of the book so I will put links to where you can get the book in the show notes. But if people head over to Katie Patrick dot com you can find everything you need to know about Katie and her book there. So thank you again for showing up and and sharing your story as well as you know all this stuff that's got my brain buzzing about creativity and slowing down.
Speaker 8: Thank you Brooke. That was her fun. It's lovely to talk about all these more qualitative and meaning based things.
Speaker 12: I dreaded a lot.
Speaker 16: Thanks Katie.
Speaker 6: Can't to pass.