Speaker 1: It's not unknown for me to pull over while I'm driving because something has popped into my head and I have to get it out. I don't like having I don't like trying to retain a good thought if I put a good thought.
Speaker 2: It's formulated in my head such a bad analogy but I have to say it's like a projectile fall that I to get out.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to the slow home podcast. This is the podcast all about slow living in a fast paced world. My name is Brooke McAlary. My name is Ben McAlary.
Speaker 4: Welcome to episode 2 of Season 2. Yeah it's feels funny going back to like single digit episode numbers but that's where we are. Does the voice at the start of this episode speaking with you is a listener. Yeah. I haven't done a listener chat. The old white some time listener chats it's their back.
Speaker 5: They are back so it's in Zen Holyoke who reached out to me via email as we were doing our nature experiment last year actually back in March my editors. Yeah. So we've been emailing back and forth a bit. Then it was just lovely getting to know her and the more of her story that I discovered the more I really wanted to share it with people because Zan has got a lot to share and she's got a lot of very hard fought wisdom here to share with people.
Speaker 6: She's in a very unique situation and very challenging situation.
Speaker 7: She is about slow living but you've had a number of these e-mails come through throughout the year and last year because everything was so crazy you were like let's put everything on hold. So now you're getting back to those e-mails and getting back to connecting with these people. And yes that's what we want to share their their stories with you in this season.
Speaker 5: Now before we get into it Van does write a beautiful blog and take some gorgeous photos that if you're at all interested in simple living with a young family you may want to check out. It is conscious Caterpillar dot com the conscious Caterpillar dot com links to her blog will be in the show notes and the share notes are at slow your home dot com slash season to enjoy the episode Hello Zan How are you.
Speaker 8: Hi Brooke. I'm really well. How are you doing.
Speaker 9: I'm so bloody delighted to be talking to you. We've been e-mailing each other on and off for probably. It was in March or maybe at the end of March after the great outdoors experiment that you first dropped me in the morning.
Speaker 8: Yeah I wondered how long ago that was to her out. Yeah Ms.
Speaker 9: And it's just been a delight to get to know a little bit about you via email. So it's really nice to be actually talking to you even though we're on the other side you.
Speaker 10: So you know what I want to dive straight into it because one of the one of my favorite questions to ask people when they come on the show is where their whole journey towards slowing down simplifying sustainability whatever it is that where it all started because I think for me that's a fascinating question to ask and a fascinating answer to get because everyone starts in a different place and everyone starts different changes but it also makes you know what comes next feel more accessible you know I feel like we are often shown these success stories of cluttering or tiny house living or whatever and we can't ever imagine getting ourselves from where we are to something like that because it doesn't feel like real life for us. But when you go back to where people began all of a sudden it feels more doable. So you I mean you now write about for many publications and on your own blog about slowing down simplifying sustainability. But where did that begin for you.
Speaker 1: What started it a really long time ago. I think it even started around the year 2000 2001 when I I did my very first trip overseas which was with my childhood long time deer's girlfriend in the world. The two of us packed our backpacks and went trekking in Nepal in the Himalayas. And then after that we spent some time in India. And I think that was that experience of being you know in a country of that economic structure and we've just such extraordinary levels of poverty that just woke me up. You know when we were taking a neighborly as a little village that we passed through. I remember seeing a bunch of kids that were playing soccer or something again similar to that anyway. And their bowl which was the size of a soccer ball was made at was like a ration bowl it was made out of grasses or something and a net was similar like it was all handmade. And these kids were the Huskies children I had ever seen at that stage and and I remember like really acknowledging that thinking these kids are just so happy and proud. You know in comparison to what we have in our company crazy West and what I thought my uncle Michael loves you know like a bucket of water from the stream and they don't have electricity and you know having a generator on it's a luxury and it just struck me and I just you know I and I came back to Australia and just kind of went Wow like what. What's the missing piece here. Like you know I said that was actually probably what the earliest thing that started building my awareness that got me kind of you know sort of just a little bit more open minded about the world outside of the luxuries of Australia.
Speaker 9: Let's fast forward a bit because I'm curious about your blog is wonderful by the way the conscious caterpillar. Oh it's really wonderful. You you write really beautifully you're obviously super passionate about sustainability slow living and the impact and the way that that impacts your family. Why did you start that I mean was that something that you just become more more passionate about. A bit like me with my blog where you like I just have to write about it.
Speaker 1: Or was there a grand plan there I'd have these you know at this moment where I just you know I was coming out of being in the thick of being a stay at home parent. You know my kids were starting to actually one was going to school and the other was on the spring to stop me and I was ready for it to great feel myself in other ways a little bit and parallel to that. I had you know I started thinking about well what's next to me because you know obviously great kids and stuff had been the film industry and I knew that that wasn't a direction I wanted to take because I couldn't figure out how that would actually create a sustainable situation for me to be the man that I wanted to be. You know I I reflected on it for ages and then I just kind of had these real oh good moment where I just realized that I was a writer and I just kind of thought that's my thinking that's kind of what lights me up side. And I was writing anyway journaling and just you know I had these thoughts not just reaching for scraps of paper just doing it. In vain like honestly within days of me having that realization that I don't know what rabbit hole I was down or what email mailing list I was on. I can't remember but there was a non-profit retreat in the States. I think I'd found out about that and so I joined their mailing list just because you know out of curiosity and out of interest and inspiration. And then they hosted an online course by another writer who was doing it how to get yourself published online course and she's that teacher of that course Christine has since become a really close friend of mine. She's delightful. And I signed up and I got right into it. I like I really dedicated myself. I went for a month. And at the end of that I started pitching to magazines and stuff and just stuff. Right. Go along that journey of not backs and keeping on pitching and I'm not.
Speaker 8: I don't give up very easily. I just kind of keep going and that doesn't mean to say that I don't feel the pain really getting knocked back or the disappointment. So I I just kept going into someone's life and publish it and I did it for free.
Speaker 1: I got at that stage always writing articles for free. And then I got to a point where I just thought I kind of want to be paid. So yeah. So I asked Christine the teacher. I said so if I want to but if I want to type writing seriously and be professional and actually get published do you think I need to get started. Do you think that it would be a disadvantage for me not to have that online presence. And she said I really. She's beautiful. That's not a start. But she said I really can't answer that question for you. But I do know it for my experience but I will give up and so I and everyone else you know I like everyone seem to have a blog and I was kind of like you know I was also taking loads of photos at that stage with no home for them. They were just clogging up my hard drive and I just kind of went. Yeah okay I'm going to do it. I was really worried that it would set too much time. I didn't want it to be contained to real lack of time sucka. And you know it just just to be a slave to it and stuff like that. And you know I think that just comes down to management of boundaries and stuff. I once I started I realized that I actually really loved it. I just got into it.
Speaker 9: So and then you started kind of chronicling the changes that you and your family were making for you know a year or so which could it really vary across you know slowing down.
Speaker 10: They really do but it's like they will have this thread of intention and excavating the important things in life and getting rid of the things that aren't. And it's it's it's really beautiful to see the way or the different ways that you do that the way that you parent and the changes you make at home and the changes that you make in yourself and even just your love of writing and photography and nature. It all comes to this really beautiful portrait of someone who is doing the continuous work of excavating a good life you know. And I think it's it's really wonderful it really is sort of beautiful click you know. Thank you. And then so then moving forward again another timely progress in 2015. Your husband Tuck was killed in a motorbike accident. Yes. And I said to Ben before I started recording my I'm going to be so ham fisted here and say something dumb. So I'm sure you know that. I just I I appreciate how open you said you're happy to be about this conversation. And it was obviously such a shock. So that sent your family into a tailspin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Guy it was you know I think that by quitting everything was different. Everything was unfamiliar. You know I like nothing. Nothing was the same. Not a single grain. And I completely had an identity crisis because I didn't know who the hell I was because I'd been we'd talk for over 17 years. You know like I was 21 when we met and I was and eight died. He died in January. And I turned 40 the following January. Hey. So I just turned 89 before he died and I'm like after he died I just you know I suppose and as the weeks unfolded I just kind of sat and just so when you know that was a huge fear. You know that was like the pains of the shock and the fear all those early days as well. It was kind of like I can't go back to who I was when I was like before I it because you know I was 21 right. I don't want anymore. And I thought I can't be I was when I was with him because I'm not he's not here to beat me and run. So I don't know who the fuck I am. And I don't know who I don't know who I want to be. And there was all of and those destroyed homes shitload of processing. I can't even imagine the terrifying really scary because it isn't like I knew but I was having this complete loss of identity but I also knew that I was responsible for two kids right. And I was like how how do I actually pull this off. Like when I don't even know who I am what I am what I want any of it. Like I just. And I think because I'm the kind of person that's really I'm not good at running away from my own stuff. I like to sit in that process and do the work. I just that's just something I've learned over the years. Even before dawn I'd started to kind of just do some heavy duty in a way. So it was kind of a cases reconciling kind of my perspectives on the bigger picture of life in the world and the universe and all of that stuff. So reconciling that with the reality of what it happened because I was so upset that Tucker and I were working together on making the change on a level that was still for us that we were actually kind of we were so in sync and aligned with our values and what we wanted to create in our life and the impact that we wanted to have that it was kind of it was gonna be a team effort. And so I had to see in figuring out because I still felt like I still knew I still had this other belief system that I was really committed to like that was in infused in who I was that how was I actually going to match that up with what the reality of what had happened and stuff I had to actually see in that and then and loads of writing like you know this and this and blah God these books where the general said threat at that time throughout that process once I actually kind of figured that out for myself figured out Okay this is what's happened you know like I kind of found reasoning in there that I understood that made sense to me. That was enough for me to hold on to and that I think was probably a huge stepping stone in me healing and and coming out of that really depths of despair sort of lack of knowing kind of banks. But it did change this life.
Speaker 11: It changed a lot of that and I had to also a compromise with myself on that because I guess you have to recalibrate what's actually possible now you're single you're a single parent with two kids and you don't know and you're like you're you're dealing with all of this yourself plus supporting your children through it. Plus you know like you said you ever made these changes with talk and they're very precious to you and they're important to you. So how do you make that work on a day to day basis. So what does that look like for you now. I mean you're you work you're a freelance writer you you're a single parent and you make you still making these changes and these shifts and living like a simpler slower life which is actually work. So how do you make that work every day.
Speaker 1: It looks different every single day and every single day I far I've had to become really clear and committed to my boundaries and clear what those boundaries are for myself that flows on to every aspect of all of my life. And what I choose to say yes to what I choose to say no way I politely think I politely decline pretty much all invitations. You know 98 percent of invitations because then I can say yes to the things that truly are going to be in alignment with me and my kids and our needs and the things that are actually going to bring us joy and feel less rather than deplete us and make it sound like I've got this totally under control that I'm denying that I'll make it every day. But you know what I find consistent with it. And then I just kind of go and I just then and it just kind of guy. Yeah. Woops okay. That didn't actually. That was not a smart one for me to say yes to the kids and I talk about it a lot as well. Like you know I like decisions are family decisions. A lot of the time like I will sort of say you know I this is come up. You know if we say yes to it it means that that this won't get done or that we can't do things. I'm always thinking ahead. Mm hmm. So if I say yes to something then I know that like say for example if we if we've got a white space weekend like no commitments you know sometimes I'll actually declare what I call domestic lockdown weekends no longer as you know in combat. You. Know. And that is just not negotiable. That is just how it is. And I I recognize in advance within myself when that's needed because because I'm like me my kids we're a pretty tight team. And I know that how I'm feeling is generally going to be the same as how they're feeling. If I'm feeling overloaded overwhelmed you know a overcommitted. I know that that's what they're going to be feeling as well. Only they just don't have the words to communicate in those in that same way. I will just be having meltdowns or something instead. So I I I know that if I kind of thing you know tomorrow is gonna be a fine day. I mean this is hypothetical you know tomorrow is going to be a home day. You know I'll get the savings on to that and I'll get this done and then we'll kind of free let's take the dog for a walk and then we stuff you know we things like that. And then if an invitation comes first We'll check in with myself and I kind of guide is that you know. Is that something that I want to be giving my time and energy towards and I become really aware of if it's not in me. I don't know how this might sound whether it makes me sound a little bit kind of ruthless and bitchy but it does. It's not how I actually it's not how I actually predict that because I'm friendly to everyone but. But I I'm very mindful of where my time and energy goes. Fringe friendships for me anyone not close relationships are very intentional. I am if I. Because he might not make this mistake so many times I think that I'd be like I live now but I'm continually kind of guy woops that you know if someone's going to suck my energy and it's not a mutual exchange you know if I don't if I don't walk away from a catch up or a commitment feeling good it's my kids that cop it. Right. And I don't think and I don't think that's fair. You know they don't deserve that. Because because because I've made a wrong choice that's not their fault but it's.
Speaker 11: So yeah. I mean like the margin I mean so I think about myself and my energy and I know that been like I've got that margin of having been in my corner. So on those days where I'm like I've given too much and I'm not great to be around I think he's there and then you had to completely recalibrate to to a point where like you said your boundaries would be the most important part of managing that because there is no buffer No.
Speaker 1: And I'd become really good because my kids are slightly older now than when they were when talkfest died. Like now we've had a few years that could well be four years in January and we communicate really well and I know I know when I'm empty and I I'll say to them before I flipped out my book. I know that I'm in a space where they push me and all that that I eat that is not going to go it's not going to be pretty and it's going to end badly. You know we may kind of like yelling or losing my temper or just you know being somebody's mommy or something like that. I can feel that we need me I can feel it's like that a little gaggle of a bald guy I like I can feel my emotional imbalance in me and I've become really aware of that. And really good at recognizing that ahead of time now. So I say to the kids you guys need to know that I am empty this afternoon or tonight I have nothing left to give. Please just take it easy on me. Cut me some slack. Don't ask anything extra of me because I'm not going to manage it well and by knowing that you know what that means that you know that old man he's got the money he's got the twitch it or.
Speaker 12: Come on. He'll grab dog Come on no let's go it's you know it's like it's going to like yeah let's give me some space and you're like they really good at acknowledging it because they know that if they don't respect that it goes bad right. Which affects everyone it takes everyone because you know I. I all then kind of you know lose the plot you know I have a big screen no one's happy everyone's kind of disjointed from it and then I go into extreme levels of money guilt because I've just lost much it's and it's just this is just like you know the best thing to do is just for me to communicate ahead of time that doesn't mean to say that it doesn't happen it just means to say that.
Speaker 11: I mean it happens a lot less frequently and it happens I've just become really good at recognizing that space ahead of time and giving my kids warning like giving them a heads up to kind of guy you push me I'm going to this machine was just like yeah I guess it sounds like it's obviously communication as you said and also went you know awareness just developing that personal awareness and you know you figure out your body's and your brain's language and the warning signs that they give you over time by necessity one of the other things that I wanted to talk to you about before we wrap up is our shared love of journaling as self care ritual. So when do you journal I.
Speaker 1: I think journaling probably looks different for every single person who does it as a regular practice for me. It looks nothing like Dear Diary. This is what I did today. Not. You know like my journal is it's a brain dump place. It's the place where I'll workshop stuff like I. It keeps me saying you know I like it clears my head like I Oh I'll write down insights in it. I'll write down a quiet that I've come across that really resonates with me all especially probably seem to like a podcast or if I and I listen to a lot of audiobooks instead of reading books just because I like to knit and you know a kind of things that I can do to it and if something strikes me in that audio a you know I'll just put down the knitting for a minute and pick up my journal and I'll just pause it and I'll write it down like you know I just stuff like that like it's and it's a place where where troubleshoot issues like I'll pull my heart out like you know if something's really hard and I you know and I've not on it and stuff. It's part of my process of finding a solution. You know like. Can you keep the dog. Sorry. It's sort of a delivery is just go up up eight points on. So it's muffled for me but I'm sure it's much louder if you're in. Yeah it's also a place where. You know if. Something really amazing has happened or something just really kind of quirky has happened like you know one of the kids comes out with something that I'll just guy with a heart attack come from like it was something I'll want to remember. So that's the sort of thing in google my general like I may not pick up my journal for a couple of weeks and then I may have like a bean session where I'm just writing my journal constantly for several days at a time. And then you know like it's always at hand. Otherwise my way Magento is and it's never far away. I always always have a notebook with me in my bag that you know it goes and you know you had that kind of thing. It's not unknown for me to pull over while I'm driving because something has popped into my head and I have to get it out.
Speaker 2: I don't like having I don't like trying to retain a good thought if I've got a good thought that's formulated in my head such a bad analogy but I have to say it's like a projectile vomit have to get stuck and you know you'll feel better once it is good.
Speaker 12: Yes exactly because not only Devi I know that if I say for example I'm on the way to school pick up I know that you can't get to school pick up a parent told me all my kids talk to me that's gone that rubble is gone and it will bug me so much because it was phrased exactly like it would be necessarily for an article or for anything in particular it'll just be a formulation of words that I think explain something really well I don't know. This is just the way my brain works.
Speaker 1: I need to be active and my brain my mind is constantly active and journaling as well as you know going for walks and being out in nature and getting regular doses that that is part of myself care for just quarantining the noise because it's too loud in there.
Speaker 9: You know I hear my head's exactly the same. And I find that if I go too long without journaling that noise it's it's like a really gradual build up I don't necessarily know that it's happening until I have one of those days where I'm irrational and irritated and my Oh well that's because everything is up in my head. I haven't I haven't kind of bloodlust you know and that's kind of what it feels like for me it's just like releasing the pressure because I generate a stream of consciousness right. Like I just blurt whatever and if I have nothing to write I say I have nothing to write until I have something to write yeah you know and it's just it's an energy thing I think for me and I guess what I'm like as you're talking I'm also hearing you kind of describe essentially another way of helping you maintain your boundaries as well. And that's something that you've become aware of over the years. I think it's it's brilliant. And I think that journaling honestly is one of the most powerful tools that anyone has to hand to help deal with that sense of overwhelm to help deal with good situations bad situations situations that we can used about I think so often I don't realize I'm thinking something until I've written it down. Yeah and it's phenomenal how often that happens and then also how different you feel and it's not necessarily like a solution has just appeared in front of me. It's just that it's given space.
Speaker 1: But like my brain has been given space that deep space. Yeah. Because otherwise it's just starting clotted.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Exactly. Mental clutter. We gotta get it out. So that I would honestly love to talk to you for hours because I feel like you've got so much to share and I mean we've barely scratched the surface. I think of what the last few years have held for you and your family and you know you and I were talking earlier about this year.
Speaker 11: But I want to thank you for just showing up and being honest and being open and answering all my questions. Having such a great conversation it's been really genuinely wonderful talking to you.
Speaker 13: Oh thank you again. It's it's been really fulfilling. If they wondered was the feeling conversations I've had in a long time. Thank you. I'm really happy to hear that.
Speaker 14: You can't hide pass.