Aaron: This episode of the Cascadian Beer Podcast has been made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty, leave inspired at thebcaletrail. ca. Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm a Cascadian. In this podcast series, I profile the breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. Cascadia is a bioregion in the Pacific Northwest on the North American continent. It's made up of the US States of Washington and Oregon, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia. If this is your first time here, welcome. I hope you enjoy this episode of the podcast. And if you like it, please hit subscribe in your favorite podcast app. That way you'll never miss an episode. Earlier this year, I was very fortunate to travel to a region of the province I've always wanted to visit. I hit the road and headed north to Valemount, British Columbia. In this small town in the interior, they have an award winning brewery and a pretty awesome beer festival as well. I sat down with the general manager of Three Ranges Brewing.
Michael Lewis: I am Michael Lewis, general manager of Three Ranges Brewing Company.
Aaron: And Three Ranges, yeah, I think this is the farthest north brewery now I've done.
Michael Lewis: Oh really? No, you were in Rupert.
Aaron: Oh yeah, well, okay. Yeah. I really need to work on my geography here.
Michael Lewis: Probably a couple of minutes more north than we are.
Aaron: Okay. Rupert still holds the title. There we go.
Michael Lewis: Yeah. Well, no. Well yeah, Rupert still holds the title, but if you talk to, you won't visit it, but Fort Saint John's going to be here this weekend with Mighty Peace.
Aaron: Yeah. Well yeah, I need to go up there to talk to them too.
Michael Lewis: Just a couple hours more, right?
Aaron: There we go. So the second furthest north brewery to date is on this taping here in beautiful Valemount. So I had a lot of people ask me when I was coming up, " Where is that?" So, I think it's best that a local can try and describe it here. Where are we?
Michael Lewis: We are in the middle of everywhere, close to nowhere.
Aaron: Right. That is a beautiful way to describe where we are.
Michael Lewis: We're three hours north of Kamloops.
Aaron: Yep. That was a beautiful drive up, I literally just did that.
Michael Lewis: Three hours east of Prince George and five hours- ish, just a little under five hours west of Edmonton.
Aaron: Right.
Michael Lewis: Jasper is an hour and a half from here. Beautiful, awesome place. But we're still just super remote in the middle of the mountains.
Aaron: Yeah. And just straight drive up, it was just so beautiful. So, Three Ranges, I guess the obvious question is why did you get the name?
Michael Lewis: Valemount sits very precisely at the junction of three mountain ranges. So to our east you have the Rockies, which continue running a little more kind of north, northwest, to our west you have the Caribous, or the Premiers, as folks call them. And right to the south is the very tip end of the Monashees, the northern tip end of the Monashees. So we have three mountain ranges that converge right on town here.
Aaron: They just all decided to stop here.
Michael Lewis: Yes, yes they did.
Aaron: So then we got to talk about beer now. So how did beer find you?
Michael Lewis: Oh, I'm a retired US military guy and I met a Canadian girl as I was retiring and moved to Canada. And I came up here to meet her folks the first time and I looked around and I went, " Man, what a beautiful place." If you come here though, there's no jobs. So semi- retirement, what's the job you bring? And about halfway on our drive home, she said, " You drink enough beer, why don't you make it?"
Aaron: Brilliant.
Michael Lewis: And I went, " Okay. Game on." So we built what was kind of a poorly structured 10 year plan to start a brewery, because it was semi not very serious.
Aaron: The life passion project, right? Was that the idea?
Michael Lewis: Yeah, essentially, because she worked for federal parks, and in the budget cuts of 2012 her job was eliminated. So we all of a sudden ended up with a 10 year plan to execute in two years. And here we are.
Aaron: Here we are. So how long have you been open then?
Michael Lewis: December, 2013.
Aaron: December, 2013.
Michael Lewis: Five and a half years.
Aaron: Five and a half years now. I mean, this is a beautiful building. Fifth Avenue, that's the main-
Michael Lewis: That's the main drag.
Aaron: That's the main drag.
Michael Lewis: It's actually main street. But it's not really the name.
Aaron: But nobody uses it.
Michael Lewis: Yeah. Well, no people do. But Fifth Avenue is now the main drag, because they repositioned the highway some 40 years ago or 30 years ago.
Aaron: Okay. Right. And so what's the size of your tasting room out the front?
Michael Lewis: Currently we have 72 seats and we're adding 28 more as soon as our patio expansion gets approved.
Aaron: All right, cool. And what is the size of this brewhouse?
Michael Lewis: The brewhouse is a three hectoliter brewhouse. So we do 300 liters at a pop. And we have five 12- hectoliters fermentors and one 650... Or sorry. Yeah, 12-hectoliter fermentors and one six and a half hec.
Aaron: So kind of home brew advanced, right?
Michael Lewis: Well, it started out very home brew. So if you see that little plastic, that's our grist hopper. But that was the size of our first fermentors. So we were single batching and then I had one double batch tank, and in four months we pulled two of the little singles out and added two double batch and two months after that we added two double batch. And then now it's grown to our, first full year in business we did 320 hectoliters. I think last year we did 1, 050.
Aaron: Right. So you're pumping out beer now. Yeah.
Michael Lewis: And it's just been a situation of like a lot of challenges that just came at us from different angles that you don't really expect. But I feel like we've hopefully gotten our worst challenges out of the way in the first couple of years of business. But it puts us in a position, like we brew three batches a day to fill a single fermentor and we do that three to four days a week in the summer.
Aaron: Right. Then so talking about challenges, I mean, I'm sure one of the challenges would be this community because there was no other brewery here, right?
Michael Lewis: Oh, yeah.
Aaron: And being craft, I mean, just kind of by nature there's more flavor in the beer. So what were you thinking in terms of the styles of beers when you first opened? Where was that middle ground almost of trying to serve the local community but then also be crafty?
Michael Lewis: Yeah. And at the time, in our business research a little bit I had driven up to Smithers and visited Plan B Brewing. And Mark shut down the January before we opened, and so trying to kind of look at a little bit of what he had done and figuring out the North. And then I did a lot of intense market research. I got essentially 1/ 10th of the population of Valemount, between online and standing in front of the liquor store. And I understood that I needed a light beer because it was a Budweiser town, so we came out with a Pilsner right off the bat. I need a nice compliment of other flavorful beers. So we started out with the pale and the brown ale as well, kind of standard fare, especially five years ago. I'm an IPA drinker, my wife's an IPA drinker.
Aaron: You won first place for your IPA.
Michael Lewis: Thanks.
Aaron: At the BC Beer Awards.
Michael Lewis: Thank you. And we had just moved up from Victoria up to here.
Aaron: Which it's kind of an IPA town.
Michael Lewis: It is. It is a bit of an IPA town. So yeah, coming up here that was kind of my beer of choice at the time. So I made the Pilsner knowing that it would help pay for the IPA.
Aaron: Right. But then, how long did it take for the IPA to catch on then?
Michael Lewis: It has been a really good seller right from the get go, but I would say last year before the BC Beer Awards, so like towards the middle to end of summer, our IPA became our number one seller. And yeah, people love it. Right now we've taken the Pilsner off for the summer because I need that extra time in the tank as a consumer. So we've started doing a Kolsch for the summer, and those two are pretty neck and neck any given day in the tap room. And we probably brew each one of those beers every week, if not every other week.
Aaron: Yeah, especially on the size that you're at, right?
Michael Lewis: Well, exactly.
Aaron: So expansion plans are in the works, no doubt. Right?
Michael Lewis: I'm working on it. I'm working on it. We have to make a small addition because I have to get an electrical upgrade and a few other things, and then it's a matter of shoehorning a big brewhouse.
Aaron: Right. Cool. I'm in conversation with Michael from Three Ranges. I just want to thank the BC Ale Trail real quick for making this episode possible. And you can check them out at thebcaletrail. ca. There's recommended itineraries for local things you can do in different regions of the province, there's a blog with lots of great stories, and a calendar of all the beer events that are going on around BC. So whether you're planning your next trip to visit us here in British Columbia or you're just wanting to be a tourist in your own backyard, let the BC Ale Trail guide you to your next beer adventure. Arrive thirsty, leave inspired at thebcaletrail. ca. Now let's jump back into the conversation with Three Ranges Brewing. So breweries like this, like you are the brewery here for quite a while, right?
Michael Lewis: Oh yeah.
Aaron: Yeah. In terms of driving distance. And with that, becomes quite the communal hub. So what do you guys do in participating with the local community?
Michael Lewis: Well, I'm huge into our local community. I couldn't survive without our community. And it's kind of funny because I'm very beholden to the people that keep us alive, and that for us in the winters are outside accounts and throughout the year is our front of house sales when it comes to our locals. Like we have a Mug Club. We try to hold about a monthly event that engages with the community, gets people in here and brings a certain attention to our community as well. We support our bike park. We've got a really growing bike park that kind of really kicked off two years ago. So we have a beer we make just for the bike park.
Aaron: Is that a private operation or just kind of like a communal run thing?
Michael Lewis: Well, no. I mean, it's run by our Valemount Area Recreation Development Association. Their website is ridevalemount, and they manage both sledding in the winter and biking in the summer. And they do a great job of it. It's really well organized and really well managed, and you couldn't ask for anything better. The amount of bike traffic that we've gotten through here in the brewery, because it's just a natural tie together, it's amazing. And then the other thing we support, I'm a veteran so we're a huge advocate for veterans causes and raising money for veterans charities and so forth.
Aaron: Yeah. Fantastic. With the brewery here and everything else in Valemount, I'm up here because there's quite a big event going on this weekend, but also I wanted to come up and visit you guys. I've met you a couple of times now at some different festivals. But just quietly, a lot of the breweries that I've been visiting in the last couple of years have been like, " Oh, you got to go to Valemount. It's the best festival. It's the best festival." So tell me a little bit about the Valemount Craft Beer Experience. How did that happen?
Michael Lewis: So I had this idea that I thought it would be great to have a beer festival. And for me, initially it was dedicated to raise money for veterans charities. That was the whole thought behind it and I kind of offhandedly mentioned it to someone in our tourism office. And I thought, you know, in another year or two this would be something really great we could put on and we could bring a bunch of breweries in and have people and we could do it at this location. And I got a phone call the next day from the economic development officer. He was like, " Hey, we want you to come in and tell us about the festival."
Aaron: Give us your pitch. Yeah.
Michael Lewis: Exactly. I want to say that was in November, and lo and behold, we put the first one on the next June, with lots of chaos and lots of craziness and just learning. Same way it's been with business. I was a government employee for 20 years and now I run a business.
Aaron: And so what year is this again?
Michael Lewis: This will be year three for the festival.
Aaron: Year three. Awesome. And we're really looking forward to it.
Michael Lewis: Well, thanks. It's a great event there. Some of the breweries who, if they had their druthers, they might not ever do another event but come to this one. And we keep it very small because as a brewer, I know what it's like going to do all these events, and I want to make it really a positive-
Aaron: Even just getting to the event, right?
Michael Lewis: Well, exactly.
Aaron: Yeah, yeah.
Michael Lewis: But in the same respect too, in the North we're super tight. But Wheelhouse drives down here every year for it and they won't ever miss it. And I love them for it because I know it's a lot of work to get it done.
Aaron: Yeah. I did that in a straight shot on the way back last time and I'm like, "Holy moly, this is a long drive."
Michael Lewis: It is. It is. No, we have a really good event. The town loves it. I don't think they'd ever really seen anything like it before, and well, you'll see tonight. It's out in the middle of nowhere. It's very reminiscent. We bus everybody out to the airport and they get to hang out on the apron, look at the mountains, watch the sunset, listen to music and drink great beer.
Aaron: Beautiful. Really looking forward to it. So if somebody was wanting to open up their own brewery in a community kind of like this size or something, what would be some advice that you can give them? You're shaking your head so much at that question.
Michael Lewis: No. You know what? I love this job and I love our business. I don't think people ever realize how challenging it is in this industry, and especially in the explosion piece where the market is being hammered with all amazing beers. And so trying to figure out your products and figure out your niche and things like that are really challenging, so you really got to do your research. And you've got to be honest too. We just went to the Great Okanagan Beer Festival a couple of weeks ago and it was an awesome event. And you get out there and you see beers that I of course never see up here. So I get her around and you're tasting a beer here, a beer there, and you're thinking, man, holy smokes. You got to realize that if you're going to do a small community brewery, you need to be a small community brewery. In your local market is where your niche is, and the struggle is getting real in so much that there's so many of us. And it's awesome to see and it's awesome to see this conversion though. You know, I think we still hold steady at around 10% of the market share across the board, but it seems like this mass conversion of people coming into craft beer. And I love every one of my brothers and sisters in brewing that helped create that because every one of them turns into a customer for me, and I do the same for them. And it's just that fact of like, if you're going to do it and you want to succeed, what's your niche? Where do you fit in the pie?
Aaron: Yep. Well, thank you so much Michael for your time. This is just lovely and I've only been here like 20 minutes now. I'm really looking forward to the festival tonight. So happy to finally make it up to your brewery too, and I think I need a beer.
Michael Lewis: Well, thank you very much for coming, and I can do that.
Aaron: Thanks. Big thank you to Michael and the rest of the Three Ranges crew, and also all the volunteers that made the Valemount Craft Beer Experience happen and all the breweries that turned up. That was such a great weekend. And a little update though, for 2020, they're going to skip this year for the festival and hopefully it'll be back in 2021. But it was such a great time and I can't thank everyone enough for just an amazing weekend up there in Valemount. Big thanks again to the BC Ale Trail for making this episode possible. And you can check them out at thebcaletrail. ca. I hope you hit subscribe in your favorite podcast app so you'll never miss an episode, and if you really liked the episode, why not share it with a friend? That helps the podcast grow and I really do appreciate it. If you want to follow us along on social media, you can by going to facebook. com/ cascadianbeer. We're on Twitter @ cascadianbeer and on Instagram @ cascadianbeerpodcast. You can also check out the website for previous episodes and a whole lot more by going to cascadian. beer. Thank you so much again for your time. I really do appreciate it. And until next time, have fun, be safe, and remember, support your local.