Aaron: This episode of the Cascadian Beer Podcast has been made possible by the BC Ale trail. Arrive thirsty leave inspired at bcaletrail. ca. Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm a Cascadian. In this podcast series, I profile the breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. If this is your first time here, welcome. I hope you enjoy this episode of the podcast and I sure hope you subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. That way you'll never miss an episode. Cascadia is a bile region in the Pacific Northwest in the North American Continent. It's made up of the US States of Washington and Oregon, as well as the Canadian Province of British Columbia. In this podcast series, I highlight the breweries of Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the International Beer scene. Last summer I was enjoying and slightly melting in the heat of the Okanagan, while visiting Kelowna, BC. Kettle River Brewing Company is a small batch neighborhood brewery and it's seen great support from the community as well as the local industry. Opening their doors in 2016, they've since expanded and added to their location. I sat down with some of the team from Kettle River Brewing.
Chris Didinsky: My name is Chris Didinsky. I'm one of the partners at Kettle River and your General Manager around here. I float between the back and the front.
Wilson: I'm Wilson and I brew.
Russ: My name's Russ. I'm the other half of the partners and I do a lot of the administrative stuff and then anything else, maintenance wise. Whatever needs to be done around here.
Aaron: Sweet. We're at Kettle River and beautiful Kelowna. Thank you so much. This is three panels. Yeah, I think I've only had one other episode here with three guests. So you know we're doing good here.
Chris Didinsky: Yes, we showed up in force.
Aaron: So the first question is how long have you been open here?
Chris Didinsky: Will be three years. July 16th I think.
Aaron: Cool. And a question for all of you. How did beer find you?
Russ: I guess my beer tastes kind of just evolved over the past. Well before starting this over say half a dozen years before starting this you just started with the gateway beers and then you get into it. And of course like fat tug was one of the big ones for me. And then what really got me into the brewery scene was going down to visit Chris in Vancouver. He lived in East van and the breweries around there were just great and walking distance and it came to the point where it was like, why don't we have this in Kelowna? And that's kind of where they start...
Aaron: Because it was just tree at that time right? When you were thinking about this?
Russ: Yeah, and then I think about probably eight months before we opened, no, probably more than that, a year before we opened BNA started.
Aaron: Cool. How about you Wilson, beer find you?
Wilson: Hieroglyphs.
Aaron: Right.
Wilson: Hieroglyphics.
Aaron: You're a man from the past?
Wilson: Nah, no, seriously. I was in Australia and there's a brewpub there and had that be a timeline and this is hieroglyphics on the wall. And I was like, Oh, I got so researched in the history of beer. I've always been in the industry, most doing a lot of hospitality in managing bars and the brew revolution happened during that period and it kind of swept me under its wing and here I am.
Aaron: All right, Chris, how about you?
Chris Didinsky: I came to it and I don't know a little bit of a roundabout way. I mean, being in Vancouver, there's lots of stuff like Phillip's around I was enjoying that. And my background previous was in advertising, so I was enjoying beers like say Granville Island or something, maybe a little bit bigger. And then like Russell was saying, Harold 49 opened up about a block from me and that kind of changed everything and...
Aaron: Slightly.
Chris Didinsky: Hooked ever since.
Aaron: Right. Cool. So just the idea of Kettle River, how did that start? How did the conversation start?
Chris Didinsky: Yeah, Russell fill this one.
Russ: I mean the idea for the brewery, it's itself just starting a brewery. It was kind of Chris and I siting on my back deck and we were talking about how great the beer scene in Vancouver is and why we don't have it here. And we were like, well you know I'm good at fixing things and you're really good at the advertising side of things or the marketing side of things. Maybe if we find a brewer, we could start our own brewery.
Aaron: And then Chris, how did you find Wilson then?
Chris Didinsky: Wilson came serendipitously. Since opening we, we've moved through a few different brewers and it just so happened that Brad who has been here kind of since we opened, was leaving to start his own thing. And within a very short time span, Wilson had reached out and it felt like the right move as soon as we met him. So far so good.
Aaron: Perfect timing on your part.
Chris Didinsky: We haven't killed each other yet.
Aaron: Right. So what, what were you dealing with Wilson when you came here, like the styles changed much under your reign and what are you trying to tend to focus on?
Wilson: Lets say it has say change, you know that the core beers are here. We've, I've added a few little bits and pieces, but I think just the way that we do things a little bit different. There was a lot of stuff here that, you know is very good. The core brands, the Loose Canoe and the ABC, the Pal Ale and things like that. But just to add a little bit more variety, we have looked at some of the styles and we have just perfected them and we have added a few things that we think that will be a crowd pleasers.
Aaron: I am a big fan of your ESB,
Wilson: Thank you very much. And yeah, that was kind of a group effort, it was something we about and this is what we do. We figure these things out between us and then we just try and implement them and try and make them work for the people out there.
Aaron: Right. So how was opening day then Chris? Like, how were you received by the community?
Chris Didinsky: Oh, opening day was nuts. I mean there was and still is quite a demand for craft beer and people are really excited about it in town. Right from the opening there was a whole bunch of people that were lined up and ready to go and as a few other spots in town have opened. We've kind of seen the community grow and seen people get excited and learn more about (crosstalk)
Aaron: Diminish and participation just more awareness right?
Chris Didinsky: Totally. Yeah, it's been maintained since opening and we are doing our best to make changes now to, keep the excitement going along with all the new spots in town.
Aaron: And what would some of those changes be?
Chris Didinsky: Well, we're looking at, I guess the biggest one is a kitchen space. Since opening, we were working with the girls from the Croatian food truck who are good friends of ours and they're going to move in here and take over an awesome new kitchen under the title of Provisions. So we are super excited about that and that's going to be open, in the next couple of weeks here as soon as we can. And then along with that we're doing some changes with our, kind of tasting room area that'd be a bit more accommodating to food service as well as expanding our patio. We have a little strip outside right now that's about a car parking space, it's going to be the whole front and a little bit more comfortable to hang out and enjoy the sun.
Aaron: Exactly. So then do you guys package your products at all?
Russ: We have previously in kind of the off season when it is a bit slower. Kelowna is a pretty good tourism town. So we try and offset some of our sales through previously, bomber bottles and moving them to a few select liquor stores around town moving into this winter where we're looking at maybe a few different options. We haven't quite settled on it yet due to what's been keeping us busy currently with the renovation and everything. But you can expect to see a small amount of package product.
Aaron: Yep. But like with that package, product also comes volume demands, right? So like what's the size of your brewhouse and like what do you need to do to accommodate that?
Wilson: Work harder, brew faster, it's going to be something that we have to work out, work through. But at the moment we just about keeping up, we have had a few issues just because of volume. We just sending a lot more products out the front. So in the autumn hopefully we will be able to make a plan and see if we... I mean we are not going to talk about expansions yet, but we have got a lot of things going on but, [crosstalk 00:08: 27].
Aaron: What's the size that you're currently dealing with?
Wilson: Oh, it's five barrels. Yeah, we have got five fermenters.
Chris Didinsky: We operate like a brew pub. So we're really not interested in trying to take over the world with distribution. But we would really like to offer some takeaway product for our guests.
Aaron: So maybe like on the form crowler, something like that.
Chris Didinsky: You got it. That would be the most realistic in here for you to see, kind of rolling into fall and through this winter.
Aaron: I'm in conversation with Kettle River Brewing. Now Kelowna is a big booming craft beer region in the province and the best way to discover what else you can find is by visiting the BC Ale trail. ca, the BC Ale trail showcase as many parts of the province and on the website you'll find recommended itineraries for each region, a comprehensive list of every craft brewery in BC, a calendar of beer events, and a blog with lots of great stories. The regional ailed trails include local breweries, pubs and restaurants along with other activities the area has to offer. So whether you're planning a weekend trip or being a tourist in your own backyard at the BC ale trail, guide you to your next beer adventure arrived thirsty, leave inspired at bcaletrail. ca. All right, let's jump back in the conversation with Kettle River. In terms of the three years that you've been opened, how much of this change have you seen in Kelowna? Like is there quite a wide variety in terms of beer styles, in terms of what is on offer or is it kind of still kind of middle of the road in terms of what everybody's doing?
Chris Didinsky: I'd call it fairly general, but there's definitely some people that are pushing towards style specific production. Like if you look at our friends up at Wild Ambition, they're doing some really cool sour wild stuff that is really specific to them and worth going out there to check them out. And if you go to all eight Boundary Brewing, he's doing German specific styles and we are a bit more on the West coast end of things. So there are different range as far as consumers go, I think people are pretty open to whatever right now. You definitely still get some of the folks that walk in and ask for your lightest closest to Budweiser. But then you also get someone who's really excited about a barrel aged barley wines. So a little bit everything.
Aaron: All right, sweet. Just expansion plans. I mean that is pretty much where you're going. Is the kitchen at the moment... I'm looking at possible packaging things and you're just happy with the size you're not looking to build a second location or anything like that or?
Chris Didinsky: No, definitely no desire to make a second location. I think you can expect to see from us once these renovations are done and we've kind of work through the front of house changes to be looking at some, additional volume in the back so we can, be a bit more consistent on the different skews are producing as well as how we roll out that bit of package product. So it's available and not just here for a week and then gone for six weeks or something like that. So moving into our production schedule on the back this fall is going to be, a lot of our focus.
Aaron: So in terms of opening up a brewery, what would be some advice that you could give somebody who is looking to do that?
Chris Didinsky: Let Russ you this one?
Russ: I don't know. Find a bunch of money. That's the biggest thing. When we started this, we kind of just asked our moms and aunts and uncles for a little bit of investment and had a little bit of our own cash and it was the hard way to do it. We started really small and we started on, what was it? Like one barrel basically or last brew kit was one barrel. We had 16 one barrel fermentors and that's how we rolled into our first, I guess one and a half years.
Aaron: It must've been a relief with the five barrels?
Russ: Five barrels was huge. But, it's just the way we could do it with what we had. I mean obviously the more resources you have, the better. I don't know. I'm sure there're tons of things that we could tell you that we did wrong.
Chris Didinsky: The list is bottomless. I think some good advice that is to be as handy as you can or know folks that can help you fix things. Whether it's, your glycol unit or I don't know if your boiler's acting up or something. You can do a better, but if you've got a buddy that can come and have a look I that goes a long way. And we've been really lucky with a lot of, close friends that have been able to step in and help us out or neighboring breweries or what have you.
Aaron: And a Wilson, what could somebody do to make better beer?
Wilson: Make better beer? Just believe, be consistent, do research, think about all the variables, and dream there's a lot of dreaming. Just be exciting, trying to do things differently. There's a lot of good beers out there and there's a lot that aren't. So I think just practice what you know, try and do it well. Be consistent and just be interesting.
Aaron: Cool. Well thank you very much gentlemen for your time. Really appreciate it.
Wilson: Thank you.
Chris Didinsky: Yeah, thanks for coming by.
Russ: Thanks.
Aaron: Huge thank you to Chris, Wilson and Russ for their time, especially since construction was going on. So since this taping of this episode, they have since opened the provisions kitchen and expanded their patio outside. So lots has happened and you know what I saw on their Instagram the other day. There's some cans sneaking around, so everything that we're talking about they've done. So there we go. So be sure to check them out. They're in Kelowna can't wait to go and visit them again. I checked out the expanded patio a few months ago and you know want, I'm looking forward to just spending some more time there because really loved the guys at Kettle River. Thanks a lot again guys and thanks again to the BCL trail for making this episode possible. You can visit them at bcaletrail. ca. If you want to follow along with this podcast series, you can by going to the website cascadian. beer. What do you know? You can also follow us on social media by going to facebook. com/ cascading and beer or on Twitter at Cascadia and beer and on Instagram at Cascadia and beer podcast. Thank you so much again for your time. I really hope you subscribe to the show and your favorite podcast app so you won't miss the next episode and hope you share it with a friend too. I really appreciate your time and until next time, remember, support your local.