Aaron: This episode of the Cascadian Beer Podcast has been made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty, leave inspired at thebcaletrail. ca. Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name's Aaron and I'm a Cascadian. In this podcast series, I profile unique breweries around Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence on the international beer scene. If this your first time here, welcome. I really hope you enjoy this episode and I hope you hit subscribe in your favorite podcast app. That way you'll never miss an episode. And if you do enjoy this episode, please share it with another beer loving friend. It really helps support this podcast. In the Okanagan Valley, there's a small British Columbia town of Penticton. In recent years, this town has seen a boom in local breweries opening their doors. So much so, that lonely planet named Penticton, Canada's craft beer capital for the year 2020. In this episode we're going to hear from two different breweries. In a little bit, we'll hear from Bad Tattoo, but up first I stopped in to visit the team at Cannery Brewing.
Ross Thompson: My name is Ross Thompson. I am the head brewer and one of the partners of Cannery Brewing.
Aaron: Alright. Cannery Brewing, I'm in the Okanagan, it is so nice to be back in the Okanagan. We used to spend summers up here.
Ross Thompson: Okay, got you.
Aaron: So I'm familiar with the area.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: So how long have you been in operation for?
Ross Thompson: I moved to the Okanagan, I think it was in 2008. Joined Cannery Brewing then. They'd already been in operation since 2001. Yeah, they brewed their first batch on April Fool's Day of 2001, which is awesome. We just had our 18th birthday, whatever it was a week and a bit ago.
Aaron: We're taping this in April, so happy birthday.
Ross Thompson: Thank you very much.
Aaron: Yeah.
Ross Thompson: And yeah, they purchased the equipment from Wild Horse Brewing, which ran, I'm not sure how many years here on main street in Penticton. The idea with them was they were just going to brew beer and sell it to their Ski Hill restaurants that they owned. Not sure what happened, but then Pat and Ron, who bought the equipment, they just decided to open a brewery. I'm not really sure what the reason was. They had a sous chef in the restaurant that they owned in Naramata and he loved to home brew, so they just decided to open a brewery. And yeah, they ran a five star restaurant in Naramata for 30 years and just decided to switch it up I guess.
Aaron: Sweet. So for the name of the brewery, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark, slightly educated guess here saying that was this building a previous canning facility or something like that?
Ross Thompson: Yeah, the building that the brewery originally started in was an old Al Meyer canning facility.
Aaron: Okay. So we've moved since then.
Ross Thompson: Yeah. So it's about five blocks across town from our current location. We moved down here to Ellis Street almost four years ago. So we've been sort of hitting our rhythm here in the last couple of years. It's a big challenge to get everything moved over and in operation again.
Aaron: I mean it's a big space and I mean I had a little peek back there and, but once you start getting those pallets of cans in that space disappears, doesn't it?
Ross Thompson: Yeah, we just knew we needed some space and that's sort of a luxury that we have in the Okanagan is we have a little more space than the lower mainland. So we knew we wanted to go a little bit bigger and have some room to grow. And yeah, it's been fantastic.
Aaron: All right, so how did beer find you?
Ross Thompson: I really have no idea. I came to the Okanagan, I followed my wife here. She wanted to get into wine and I just followed her down here. And I had a Naramata Nut Brown sitting in the Naramata Pub when I first moved here. And I was just like, this is phenomenal. I never tasted anything like this before, needed a job. So I just went and harassed Pat for nearly two months probably to hire me and kindly she caved and hired me. I knew nothing.
Aaron: Right.
Ross Thompson: I had started home brewing as soon as I moved to the Okanagan, so I had a little bit of a background there, but nothing to speak of.
Aaron: So you have that Nut Brown, did you immediately go out and buy home brew kit or did you apply for the job here first or try to get a job here first?
Ross Thompson: It all sort of happened at the same time. I was like, I knew I wanted to get into beer at that point, and so I was like, how do I do this? And found an ad in the newspaper. Somebody was selling all their equipment and went and bought it and just kind of jumped headfirst into it.
Aaron: Sweet.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: Do you remember your first batch?
Ross Thompson: I think it was a spruce tip winter.
Aaron: Wow. That's pretty ambitious.
Ross Thompson: Yeah. The crazy thing was is it was the best batch that we brewed.
Aaron: Right.
Ross Thompson: Pretty much in that whole year.
Aaron: Right.
Ross Thompson: Was that first one.
Aaron: That was kind of like my first batch of home brew. I did a Munich lager and I was like, man, this is great. And then several failures after that.
Ross Thompson: And I don't know if it's just because we just sort of get comfortable and we don't focus so much on it.
Aaron: I think that's it. You get a little overconfident because it turns out so good the first time, right?
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: So then how long did you have home brewing then until you actually started brewing here then? What was that window?
Ross Thompson: I was pretty much thrown right into the mix as soon as I started working here. At that point there was only one brewer that was working here and then another guy in packaging. So I kind of just got thrown into absolutely everything. And learning curve was pretty steep but managed to hold it together.
Aaron: When did you take over the head brewing position then?
Ross Thompson: Ah, pretty much five years ago, I would say. So right before our move over to here I sort of was running the show, coming up with some new recipes and beers and yeah, it was a lot of fun. Somewhat stressful.
Aaron: I bet.
Ross Thompson: In a company that had been running for so many years and so successful and had really solid core beers to be thrown into the position of trying to come up with stuff that could hold its own with those was definitely a challenge, right.
Aaron: It was such a reputation too.
Ross Thompson: Right.
Aaron: Then it's like, oh, now I'm the captain of the ship.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: Yeah, yeah.
Ross Thompson: Yeah. And I had the backing to it too, right? We had the ingredients, we had the good quality hops, we had all that stuff was already in line. So it was very nice to be able to have all of that. Had the experience of the other brewer that was there. And Pat and Ron, her husband, obviously had all their experience as well. And palate, running a restaurant for so many years, they have the palate to be like, yeah, this tastes, this is what we want, right. So that was pretty nice.
Aaron: All right. So if somebody was to ask, what is a Cannery beer, how would you best describe it?
Ross Thompson: We like to say balance. For us, we don't really make anything that is out there and strange and weird. Not yet anyways. We try to keep it balanced. Being in the interior, we still battle with the Budweiser and the Old Milwaukee drinkers, right? So we try to pull them in and we kind of figured out that if we kept stuff balanced, not too bitter, not too dark, not too we could draw them in and get them hooked on craft beer.
Aaron: But still being seasonal at the same time though, right?
Ross Thompson: Right. Yeah, for sure.
Aaron: So what's the number one seller then in the summertime here?
Ross Thompson: I would have to say our Naramata Nut Brown, which blows me away all the time. The volume of a brown ale that we go through year- round, whether it's summertime, wintertime, it doesn't matter. It is an absolute staple for us. And I look at other breweries that are starting and we've got delicious pilsners and IPAs and then our number one seller core beer is a brown ale is kind of an interesting phenomenon. Right. Especially being in the interior too. Right?
Aaron: Yeah. Very unique. It stands out.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: So we have this lovely tasting room space here with the kitchen in the back. Is there a lot of collaboration between the beers you're doing and the kitchen? Do you do any pilot batches to test things out here?
Ross Thompson: The guys in the kitchen, they're pulling beer off the top all the time to cook with and add to the restaurant. And we do do pilot batches in the back. We used to do them weekly but as we've grown and as we've gotten more busy we just, we don't have the time to do it. In the wintertime we do a few and usually we try to run anything new that we're brewing through that pilot system first obviously, to just test it out and see if it's something we want to do.
Aaron: So you've been in the Okanagan for a few years now. If somebody was to travel to the Okanagan, what are some things to do besides visiting you guys? Some nice attractions in the area that you enjoy?
Ross Thompson: I always push people towards beer. I mean, we're lucky enough now by the end of this coming year, we'll have seven breweries in Penticton, which is phenomenal.
Aaron: That's nuts.
Ross Thompson: I am so excited because drinking in your own establishment, it's not the same as going and relaxing and having a good beer somewhere else too. Right. So, we've had Bad Tattoo in town I think for three years now or so, and just a wonderful place to go and have a pizza and have a beer. And yeah, it's going to be a wonderful scene. And having the wine in the region as well, you can't argue with that. Being able to on a Sunday, go out and hit five wineries within an hour, it's pretty great.
Aaron: And then tons of great food in general in the area too.
Ross Thompson: Yeah. The restaurant scene, all the wineries usually have really good food. There's some good restaurants in town. Recreation is also huge. You've got the two lakes on either side of Penticton, so boating and fishing and hiking and biking and all that kind of stuff. And then, yeah, like I said, now to be able to finish the day at one of the seven breweries in town is pretty amazing too.
Aaron: Right. What is your favorite style of beer to brew and then consume on your own? Besides the Nut Brown, besides the Nut Brown.
Ross Thompson: I always tend to lean towards the lighter beer. So pilsners lagers. Being a brewer, they are the most challenging style to brew. Everything has to be literally perfect from yeast health to ingredients to bitterness. They have to literally be perfect in order for it to be above average. Right? So it's a challenge and I guess that's what we all sort of look for is to do something that challenges what we do.
Aaron: Yeah. It's funny that the simplest of beers is the most complicated to make too.
Ross Thompson: Right.
Aaron: Yeah.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: In terms of growth, I mean you guys are in the space, you've been here for a few years now. Are you are kind of happy at this level or are there plans to expand and kind of keep going from here?
Ross Thompson: I mean we are lucky enough that we're seeing really consistent growth over the last four years. Something that's really manageable so that we're not just scrambling to keep our heads above water, but we're always looking to grow. And like we were talking before about how we play the balance beer role sort of, right. The last little while we've been trying to step outside of that. We're dabbling in the sour realm.
Aaron: You have tons of great fruit in the region to try.
Ross Thompson: Yeah, so the fruited sour thing is sort of, we're going towards that. We did our first barrel aged beer here this year. And yeah, we just have it on the books to try and do some more extreme but keep it within what we still do. Right? We still want to create a beer that is consumable. Right? We all drink those beers that are just like, this is amazing, but I can only drink four ounces of it because it is so extreme.
Aaron: Yeah.
Ross Thompson: So yeah, we're definitely going to try to step, and having the new breweries in town too. You have some very qualified, very good brewers come into town. We're going to have to step up our game too and join in on everything they're doing too. Right?
Aaron: Well, I mean it's only good for the local community really.
Ross Thompson: Right? We look at that and it's just, it's going to push us and we're going to push them and it's just going to be a, it's just going to elevate Penticton in general as far as beer goes. So it's going to be an interesting couple of years coming through to Penticton. Yeah.
Aaron: So we, I mentioned the cans earlier. So you guys do package, you do ship it out. How far does that distribution net go?
Ross Thompson: We are pretty much Manitoba to the Yukon. We send a little bit of product North, but most of our product is consumed in BC and Alberta. We send a fair amount to Alberta, but they sort of get the short end of the stick when we get busy and everything starts to get hyper local, everything gets, your distribution pulls in.
Aaron: So yeah, just very regular on the lower mainland and out to the island too, right?
Ross Thompson: Yeah. And we're lucky we have great following, great support in the Valley. I would say 80% of what we make gets consumed in this Valley, which we're super blessed to have that following.
Aaron: Right. So if somebody was wanting to get into brewing beer themselves, would be some advice that you can give them?
Ross Thompson: Like home brewing or professionally?
Aaron: Both sides.
Ross Thompson: Both sides. Yeah. I mean, the first start is you have to have a palate, you have to, if you love good food, if you love that sort of thing, it'll be a natural fit to start brewing and following beers that you like. And I think that's an important thing is if you do get into brewing is to brew the things that you like to drink. And we try really hard to do that here where we, if you start brewing things that you're just like, eh, I don't regularly drink that, it will definitely show. So yeah. And education, at Kwantlen College, there's some really cool things going on in BC as far as education goes. And that's a very good step. But when we hire people here at Cannery, we look for people that are well rounded. They have other life experiences, whether it is food or industry or that sort of thing. I don't think to this date we've ever hired anybody that has education, like formal brewery education, but it's definitely on the list. We know we need to look at those well qualified people as well.
Aaron: All right, cool. What are you brewing next?
Ross Thompson: We just did our seasonal saison that we do. It's called Meadowlark. We're just trying to keep up. We just released our apricot wheat. We have a sun blinked berry sour, which has blown up on us. We just can't keep it in tanks. So it's sort of hard to be looking towards what's next when you can't even keep things in inventory that you already are making. Right? We are just a little bit of a sneak peek doing some work on our brand and so there'll be some cool stuff coming up here shortly in the next three or four months.
Aaron: Sweet.
Ross Thompson: They'll be a good change to some of our core things. So can't wait to share that with everybody.
Aaron: Yeah. Looking forward to that.
Ross Thompson: Yeah.
Aaron: And who inspires you to brew beers? What sort of other breweries do you look up to?
Ross Thompson: The peers, whether it's somebody that's been in the game for just a few years or when I first started I was lucky enough to meet people like Paul Hatfield and Gary Lowen and people like that who, they're there when you talk about craft beer in BC and sort of where it sort of took off. They're the ones that are sort of responsible for that. So there's sort of the old guard in the sense of BC craft beer. And they've grown exponentially. Like central city has just, from where they were in that little brewpub when I first went to the first ever cast festival that they had and where they are now, it's just amazing. So that stuff sort of, yeah, definitely it's inspirational to see that kind of growth in a province that is. It's going to continue to grow. We've got a whole bunch starting in Colona and yeah, it's going to be really cool to see where we go. We're headed to the CBAs here in a couple of weeks, Canadian Brewing Awards. And it's always just mind blowing when you go out there. And even from year to year, we sort of get focused on what's going on in BC and then you see what's happening in Canada in general is amazing. They're working on Canada wide Craft Brewers Guild now too, right? So it's just going to make the industry just that much more solid and have that much more influence. Right? It's going to be great.
Aaron: Well thanks Ross. I mean it's a busy day, but thank you so much for your time.
Ross Thompson: You bet.
Aaron: All right. Thank you so much to the team of Cannery Brewery. It was a great time when I was out there visiting. And yeah, guys, I'm looking forward to getting back to visiting you soon. Before we get into our next interview, I just want to take a moment and talk about the BC Ale Trail and thank them again for making this episode possible. Recently named Canada's craft beer capital by lonely planet, Penticton has a long history of craft brewing going back more than two decades. The best way to learn more about this gorgeous small town in the heart of the Okanagan Valley is by visiting bcaletrail. ca. And now you can also download the BC Ale Trail app. The BC Ale Trail showcases many parts of the province on their website. And you'll find recommended itineraries for each region, a comprehensive list of every craft brewery in BC, a calendar of beer events, and a blog with lots of great stories. The regional ale trails include local breweries, pubs, and restaurants along with other activities the area has to offer. The app gives the users the ability to collect rewards by visiting the breweries and related businesses or events, which can be redeemed for merchandise and other discounts at participating locations. So whether you're planning a weekend trip or just being a tourist in your own backyard, let the BC Ale Trail guide you to your next beer adventure. Arrive thirsty, leave inspired at thebcaletrail. ca. All right time now for my second brewery that I visited while in Penticton and it was none other than Bad Tattoo Brewing.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. My name is Liam Hutcheson. I'm the head brewer at Bad Tattoo Brewing Company in Penticton.
Aaron: And so right off the bat I have to ask you, do you have a bad tattoo?
Liam Hutcheson: I can't really mix like show you it, but pain is a word for sure. It's not the best tattoo. I will tell you that.
Aaron: Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, that's all. That's all you got to know man. Yeah, we'll leave it at that.
Aaron: Okay, I'll leave it at that. All right, so we're in Penticton and my favorite question to start with is how did beer find you?
Liam Hutcheson: Funny enough, beer found me through, I grew up in Penticton here and we had this new brewery opening up. I was actually 18 at the time and I just thought that was the coolest thing ever. I just, for some reason it just pulled me in. And then when I was legal at 19, I finally had my first beer and I decided this is something I could get along with.
Aaron: And was it craft?
Liam Hutcheson: It was craft. Yeah. It was Bad Tattoo West Coast IPA.
Aaron: Bang.
Liam Hutcheson: That's really what sucked me in.
Aaron: Right. So did you go home and buy a home brew kit? What did you do?
Liam Hutcheson: Did do a little bit of home brewing but just the malt kits. So I didn't necessarily do all grain brewing.
Aaron: But that's a good starter for anybody that's getting into it, right?
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, just getting to know what fermentation is, the whole, just how you brew basically. Just the basic steps of it. And after that it was just learning on the job and reading books was pretty much how I got to where I am now.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: Right. So you're the brewer here. How long was that window then of learning and coming up to where you are now?
Liam Hutcheson: So to start, I labeled bottles one at a time in the fridge. Did that for about...
Aaron: Was that a roller or did you have to peel it off and put it on by hand?
Liam Hutcheson: It was a little roller.
Aaron: Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: One bottle at a time. So 720 bottles, that's two hours worth of bottling or labeling. So did that for about four months and after that began to learn how to brew under the head brewer.
Aaron: Right. And who was that?
Liam Hutcheson: That was Robert Theroux, he's from Montreal. Great guy. Love him.
Aaron: Right. So Bad Tattoo, do you know where the name comes from?
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. And that I also can't speak about, that was an owner's bad tattoo.
Aaron: Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: It must be really bad.
Liam Hutcheson: It's bad.
Aaron: Oh, okay. Have you seen the bad tattoo?
Liam Hutcheson: I have. I'm not going to...
Aaron: Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: I'm not going to say anything about it though.
Aaron: But it's bad.
Liam Hutcheson: It's bad.
Aaron: You can just confirm that it's bad.
Liam Hutcheson: We'll confirm that, yeah.
Aaron: Okay, so how long has this brewery been open then?
Liam Hutcheson: We've been open nearly five years as of July, 2019 and we started, the idea was just to have a brewery with a little pizzeria tasting slice with your beer. On day one, we realized that people really like pizza.
Aaron: I like pizza.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, pizza and beer is a pretty good combination.
Aaron: It's the best marriage around pizza and beer.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, it's pretty good. We hit the nail on the head.
Aaron: Right. And so then tell me about the pizza. Is there a custom oven back there, is it wood- fired, what's going on back there?
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. So we have an eight pizza, Italian forno oven, cooking pizzas at 730 degrees.
Aaron: I haven't had a pizza yet.
Liam Hutcheson: Have you not?
Aaron: No, I'm going to go get a pizza next.
Liam Hutcheson: Oh yeah. Yeah. Get the mango chicken one.
Aaron: Mango chicken.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: That sounds good because I used to live in New Zealand and there was this nightclub that had a pizzeria that we did shows at every Thursday. They had a Thai chicken satay pizza.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, dude.
Aaron: Yeah.
Liam Hutcheson: I might tell the head cook about that. We're going to do that next year.
Aaron: Okay. For sure. Or I can come up and collab, I do an IPA jerk chicken.
Liam Hutcheson: Dude.
Aaron: Yeah.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. You should come collab.
Aaron: Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: All right, we'll do that. I won't collab on a beer, just pizza.
Liam Hutcheson: Just pizzas, yeah.
Aaron: Just pizzas.
Liam Hutcheson: Fair.
Aaron: Right. So when you took over were you, I mean obviously you were making your core beers. First off, what are those?
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, so we have five main flagship beers. We have our Los Muertos Cerveza Negra, which is a dark Mexican lager basically. And it's super refreshing. A nice intro beer to craft beer. We have our West Coast IPA, which is a super nice hoppy, piney West Coast IPA.
Aaron: And what are those hops in there?
Liam Hutcheson: We have a nice six varieties in there. We have Centennial, Nuggets, Cascade, Falconer's Flight, Ahtanum and Zythos. So just a nice all around West Coast IPA. We also, our next one up is the Tramp Stamp Pale Ale, which we have a lot of fun with because it's, we call it the Tramp Stamp because it's from down under. All the hops are Australian.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: So that's kind of where we went with that one. Super nice and fruity. That's kind of what we went for.
Aaron: And I do have to clarify because I lived in New Zealand for eight years. So you're not sneaking in any Nelson hops in there?
Liam Hutcheson: No man, no.
Aaron: They're totally Australian?
Liam Hutcheson: All Australian.
Aaron: Okay. All right. Okay.
Liam Hutcheson: The kicker is the galaxy.
Aaron: Yes.
Liam Hutcheson: That's a classic obviously.
Aaron: Yeah. Yeah.
Liam Hutcheson: We also have our Vagabond Pilsner. All checks as hops. Super does style, nice and crisp. Can't ask for anything better. We also have our Full Sleeve Stout, which is nice and mild palate, not overly heavy, can drink five or six of them if you really want to, which I do. Yeah.
Aaron: If its been a long week.
Liam Hutcheson: If its been a long week.
Aaron: Yeah. Yeah. So what was the first beer that you got to experiment with and introduce?
Liam Hutcheson: Last year I was fortunate enough to go to Europe and I toured around Europe and Belgium and decided I wanted to make a Belgium Tripel. So when I got home, that was the first beer that I ever was given the opportunity to make it the brewery.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: Is that kind of on the regular lineup as it were now?
Liam Hutcheson: It'll probably make a return next year.
Aaron: Because it's a bit of a commitment to brew.
Liam Hutcheson: It is a commitment. Yes, it's a lot of work but I personally really enjoy Belgian style beer and I don't think that's huge in BC beer.
Aaron: No.
Liam Hutcheson: Kind of want to keep that around. Yeah, we brew saison this year, we're going to do, we might do a hefe, which is more German but just kind of keeping that nice European classic styles alive.
Aaron: Right. And so how the community's response to the brewery, are they kind of open for that experimentation? And obviously you've been here a while.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: So it seems like you've got a following.
Liam Hutcheson: I definitely think in Penticton it's been five years since we've been open, but I think from then until now people have opened their imaginations and minds with beer. I think the coast was way ahead of us on that and we're maybe a year or two behind what they do. So sours in style down in the coast. The next year is when that's our big boom for that style beer.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: So it's very interesting just to see how that came about.
Aaron: Yeah. And you're about to have seven breweries here.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. Seven breweries in little Penticton is pretty insane to me. I mean we were the fourth brewery to open up.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: We had a fifth three years ago and two opening up this year. So we're more than excited. We get to collab with people and we get to have a lot of fun.
Aaron: It's like you got a little brewery district going on here because it seems like it's like all kind of within this block.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. We're going for a district. Literally two doors down from us is a new neighborhood brewing and we're having a lot of fun already. We just collabed on a beer and it's just nice to be able to work with someone who is close by.
Aaron: They're literally at the end of the street.
Liam Hutcheson: Literally down the road. If we need hops, we'll go talk to them. They need hops, they'll come talk to us. Whatever we need, it's all friendly.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: It's very cool.
Aaron: So what do you like to drink? What's your go to style?
Liam Hutcheson: I would say IPA, but I'd been really getting out there and just trying whatever beer comes to me. I think the best way to learn about beer. So I'm learning to enjoy everything that I can.
Aaron: Right. Yeah. My to go to Cali Common.
Liam Hutcheson: Cali Common.
Aaron: All the time.
Liam Hutcheson: Interesting.
Aaron: Yeah, yeah.
Liam Hutcheson: That's, it's a good style. I just haven't drank a lot of it.
Aaron: Yeah and it's hard to get right too. So it's like when you find a good one, you want to stick to it, right?
Liam Hutcheson: Cool. Yeah, we're doing one later this year, so I got to keep working on that.
Aaron: All right, well keep drinking up and send me some.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, I will. I will for sure.
Aaron: So if anybody's getting into brewing themselves, what would be some advice that you can give them?
Liam Hutcheson: My best advice would be start reading books, pick up the books from John Palmer, the Hops, Yeast, Water and Malt book.
Aaron: Yep. Got to give a shout out to Papazian, the original home brew book there.
Liam Hutcheson: Okay. Yeah.
Aaron: The Joy of Homebrewing. Yeah.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. And I think reading is the best way to learn. I didn't do any schooling, but I didn't know I'd be here right now as the head brewer, but I read books and that's what got me to where I'm at.
Aaron: And then plus you had the practical experience. You came off the labeling line.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. I was very fortunate to have the onward experience. But I think if it's a passion you have, start with home brewing and see where it takes you and just keep learning.
Aaron: Right. Are there any expansion plans for the brewery at all? Or were you very comfortable at the size at the moment?
Liam Hutcheson: We are very comfortable at this size and I think that's often the future. But right now we're super happy with where we're at and we'll see where the industry goes. If it keeps picking up and more breweries open up, then we're exactly where we want to be. We don't need to, there's so much beer now. So we have our nice slice of the pie and where we're happy with that.
Aaron: Right. So if somebody was to come to Penticton and visit here, what's your favorite non- beer activity to do locally?
Liam Hutcheson: Personally, my favorite, which trying to get into more of this year, I really want to try more, is rock climbing.
Aaron: Right.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah. We have some pretty killer rock climbing spots.
Aaron: Because we're kind of in a valley, right?
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah.
Aaron: You got some steep slopes on either side.
Liam Hutcheson: You can go anywhere you want to go climb a rock or also just hanging out on the beaches. We got two beach on either side of the city. So it's a perfect summer destination.
Aaron: It gets hot here.
Liam Hutcheson: And it gets really, really hot. So yeah, just hanging out, it's a good city for that.
Aaron: All right, cool. Well, sweet man. Thank you so much for your time.
Liam Hutcheson: Yeah, thank you.
Aaron: Huge thank you to Liam at Bad Tattoo first time and Ross at Cannery Brewery. That was our first interview in this episode. Thank you both guys. Really appreciate your time. It was a big weekend when I was in town and had lots of fun hanging out with all the Penticton crew. Can't wait to go back and visit again. I love the Okanagan Valley in the summertime. Also, big thanks again to the BC Ale Trail for making this episode possible. Be sure to check them out at thebcaletrail. ca. If you want to follow this podcast series along on social media, you can by going to Facebook at facebook. com/ cascadianbeer or on Instagram at Cascadianbeerpodcast and on Twitter at Cascadian Beer. For more information, previous episodes, some photos of my travels, you can go to the website at cascadian. beer. And thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate you listening to this episode and supporting this podcast. And until next time, remember, support your local.