Aaron: This episode of the Cascadian Beer Podcast has been made possible by the BC Ale Trail. Arrive thirsty, leave inspired at the bcaletrail. ca. Welcome to the Cascadian Beer Podcast. My name is Aaron and I'm at Cascadia. In this podcast series, I profile the breweries around Cascadia, a region that has a strong presence in the international beer scene. If this is your first time here, welcome. I hope you enjoy this episode. I do hope you subscribe wherever you listen to this podcast, that way you'll never miss an episode. And feel free to share it with your friends. That's how this podcast series grows and we help support our local breweries. In today's episode of the podcast, I'm focusing on a single community on Vancouver Island. The city of Port Alberni is located pretty much in the center of Vancouver Island. With the drive time being just over an hour from the Nimmo, I'll be speaking with both breweries who've opened up here in recent years. First up, a brewery who is established in 2016. It's Twin Cities Brewing.
Aaron Colyn: My name is Aaron Colyn. I am the owner and brew master of Twin City Brewing in Port Alberni, BC.
Aaron: Port Alberni. Beautiful. It was a beautiful drive up today.
Aaron Colyn: It is a pretty cool drive, especially going through Cathedral Grove around Cameron Lake.
Aaron: A lot of people at the lake today. I can only imagine that gets pretty busy in the summertime.
Aaron Colyn: Oh, yeah. It does. It's basically highway straight through Port Alberni all the way to Tofino and it's always been a lot of people making that trip.
Aaron: Well, I mean, the question that I like starting off with is how did beer find you?
Aaron Colyn: I think beer was an escape for me. During university, I was going to Vancouver Island University and the Nimmo. And I was doing microbiology and trying to do undergraduate stuff for medical school. Just so happened to find most of my weekends and evenings hanging out in the pub with friends. Longwood was close by and that was kind of the time where things are really taking off in BC as far as ... Especially on the island, Phillips was doing a lot and (inaudible) and Driftwood were really just starting to show what they can do. I just was telling someone about all the beers I used to drink and Red Racer IPA was just like an epiphany to try that compared to some of the beers that people were used to. So it was something started to pull me in that direction and I think it was the science behind it. Some of the stuff that was like, " Well, it might be a cool hobby to try home brewing. I wonder if I can make beer as good as some of my favorites that I'm enjoying right now." You know, bombers were huge. Everyone had seasonal bombers coming out. It was the battle of who could make the coolest new beer. It just seemed like a different landscape for beer back then. But looking back, it was kind of planting the seeds. I think for a lot of people that were like, " Man, the beer industry is really cool. Making beer is really cool." It's a fun thing to be a part of the events. Just the people involved are just great. I can't speak any more highly than I do about how great the industry is and what it's like getting to do events and things with those kind of people. I think that was it for me. Something started to tapped me on the shoulder going, " Hey, you're really liking this stuff and the stuff that goes into it." I basically decided third year into my undergraduate degree, I'm like, " I'm going to finish this degree but med school isn't for me. Just my heart isn't in it." And pretty much decided really quickly after that, that I wanted to move back to my hometown where I was born and raised. I want to do something cool in the community and provide a space for people to enjoy really good beer and hang out and kind of come together as a community. I think that was something that Port Alberni was maybe lacking. It just all of a sudden sparked this passion. It was like, " Oh, yeah, Port Alberni needs a space where people can come together and just hang out and plan the amazing things they're going to do in their community, events and fundraisers and things like that. Just meeting a friend over a beer." I think I used to say, there's so many times you can look back in history, it was like people met over a beer, chat about something. It was the ...
Aaron: I've met a lot of cool people over beer.
Aaron Colyn: Yeah. It's the small beginnings for a lot of really cool stuff. So providing that space, doing something that I was passionate about and really letting people enjoy that and create this welcoming, comfortable environment.
Aaron: Right. Around that time when you're thinking about this, there was just nothing between the Nimmo and Tofino, right? Tofino brewing was open and then some stuff and then Nimmo and that was it, right?
Aaron Colyn: Yeah. That's really, I mean, I loved what Longwood was doing because they really ... I wasn't involved in the Victoria beer scene too much. I know Spinnakers has brought a lot of that English style beer to people and to their community. And then Nimmo was that kind of for me, because that's just ... I didn't end up going that far south when I was really getting into beer. So that introduction to all these English styles and some of the history behind it. Yeah, there wasn't really anything like that. It took a really long time even for private liquor stores to pick up on the craft beer trend in Port Alberni and it's just something we weren't seeing. So getting those crumbs that made you want more and then you could chase down what was really happening in craft beer.
Aaron: Right. Around what time was this? Like how many years ago when it has the ...
Aaron Colyn: This is about eight years ago.
Aaron: Right. Then from idea until breaking ground, what was that timeframe like?
Aaron Colyn: That was a roller coaster. I finished my degree and I started working on a business plan. I was like, "You know what, brewery is what I want to do. Let's start there." I started a business plan, I ended up pouring a lot of time and energy into this thing. It was 30 pages. It was as much detail as I could think of, I just wanted to be scrupulous. I realized really quickly that the type of brewery I wanted to be was going to be something that the community got behind, something that they supported and they felt like a part of. What I did is I started a crowdfunding campaign to buy a pilot system. I was using a Coleman Igloo cooler mash time and a turkey fryer stockpot. I was home brewing the way a lot of people start home brewing and I was like," You know what? I think my beer is good." Everyone around you tells you your beers good because they're like drinking it for free.
Aaron: Yeah. Hey, buddy.
Aaron Colyn: Yeah. Exactly. Show up at a party with a couple of kegs and people aren't going to tell you it's bad.
Aaron: I mean, if somebody doesn't think that, you're not their best friend I mean when you turn up with kegs at a party.
Aaron Colyn: Exactly. Yeah. We decided, " You know what? Let's really gauge the community's reaction to this idea. Let's see if they're going to support it." You don't really know what the community's response is going to be like, especially when it comes to an alcohol establishment and what people perceive that to be. So we did this Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign and we're like, "You know what? The goal is we're going to raise money, we're going to buy a pilot system that is really ..." It's a way for us to build our recipes and hone the skills to make them transferable to large scale. So we can go, " Okay, we're down to the science on this. We know we're making this type of beer. We can easily scale that up and it will work in our community." The Indiegogo thing was cool. We had over 100 contributors to it. Ended up raising over $7, 000 which bought this really nice pilot system. People were able to get T- shirts, bottle openers, all sorts of coasters and things like that just for being a part of it. It really helped us cement some of the support in what our plan would end up being. That was cool because then people knew what we basically said what we were going to do and the community could hold us accountable. After that, everything was kind of serendipitous. I mean, we found this space and it just lined up perfectly to buy so we bought the building. I started doing weekend and evening rentals until I thought I was gonna go crazy on my own with no money. Just shopping that business plan around, looking for the right people to be involved with. You know, a fresh out of university student that has no ...
Aaron: Never owned a business before.
Aaron Colyn: Never owned a business, but we were really passionate and we really thought we had a tight plan. We ended up just getting the right people involved over time and they, to this day, have all been so great to us. It helped us get things to the next level. It helped us rethink some ideas that we thought we knew, but maybe we needed to re- plan a bit. By the time we ordered the equipment, I was so confident in what we were doing. We opened our doors and just never looked back. That was three years ago coming up on the 24th.
Aaron: All right. 24th of March?
Aaron Colyn: Yeah.
Aaron: Well, happy early, at the time of taping, anniversary here. About that equipment. What is the size of the brew house back there?
Aaron Colyn: We have a 1, 200 liter brew system. It is Chinese. We were, like I said, trying to do things in a way that wasn't going to break the bank. We basically were on a shoestring budget opening and we tried really hard to make the most of that. We did buy from China. We really did a lot of shopping when it came to our brew house and our tanks. I think it worked for us. I don't know if it'll work for everyone. We just kind of figured, "You know what? If we're careful enough, we know what the limits of it. We can make good beer if we're clean enough and we're watching things carefully." Yeah, it's been great.
Aaron: Well, with that system, do you have some challenges like if parts are breaking and stuff like that, has there been downtime as a result or you're able to resolve that?
Aaron Colyn: Yeah, a little bit. I mean, the one thing is we brought all this equipment in and then it showed up and our electrician told us none of it was certified for use in Canada. So we had a mini heart attack. But we actually ended up getting someone involved that was able to certify the equipment. They looked at it all and they're like, " Oh, no. This is actually visceral parts that are used in North America. It's not like they were using really cheap stuff." They're like, " Yeah," they looked it over. They looked over all the circuits, they looked over everything before it was hooked up and they put their stamp on it and it was certified. So it wasn't as big of a headache as we thought. But that was one of the challenges. I mean, we tried to think ahead and be ... Our kettle is electric. So extra elements, please send us spare sets of everything you can imagine. We always have something in the back waiting in case we had any issue. But for the most part, we've had a lot of help from places like Specific Mechanical, they've been able to kind of augment our needs. We're still very happy that we have someone local like that who can splice for things when an emergency arrives. Yeah, t's been pretty good so far. We've been very fortunate.
Aaron: Right. Then the ingredients, where are they coming from? Are they being sourced from the island at all?
Aaron Colyn: We try to when we can. I mean, most of our ingredients are coming from (inaudible) because it's super convenient. They have access so much for us. We've really been happy with everything we've gotten. We do make a couple of beers that we feel are very location dependent. We make a British pale ale and for us, it's like, "No, you got to use the imported Maris Otter and you got to bring in the the hops from the UK. We just feel like it's just creating that diversity across our beers so that things don't all take taste the same. That being said, we, for a very long time never did any lagers because we just thought that was what everyone was going to expect. To us at the time, it wasn't the most exciting thing we could make. That being said, we never said we wouldn't. So we started dabbling in some longer term lagering and some cool historic beer styles. For that, as well, we wanted to reach out and get those ingredients from where they originally were made and malted and stuff like that. So German pilsners, we bring in the German malt to use that, we're bringing in the hops to do that. We just really want to showcase a variety in our beer. I think as a small community brewery, we're kind of in this position where we feel forced to have to do everything good. You know what I mean? We can't be the sour brewery, we can't be the Belgian brewery, we can't be the hazy brewery. We're catering to a community that has a lot of diverse tastes and doesn't have access to a huge diverse market.
Aaron: And also tourism dependent, too. Right?
Aaron Colyn: Exactly. We take that challenge and we enjoy it. You know, right now, I mean, we've got a sour, we've got a hazy, we've got a Munich helles. We've got a lot of different varieties on our beer list but that's fun, that keeps it interesting and we find out the stuff we really like. If it has a cool story behind the style, if it has a cool story behind the ingredients or the technique used to make it, that's exciting to us. We relay that excitement to our customers and be like, " This is why this beer is exciting. This is why we're excited to make it." That's pretty cool to be able to curate that list of beers for the community and yeah, it's been really great. We've got a lot of new stuff on the way. We're really excited about this coming spring and summer where it's going to be pushing our production heavily. We're excited for that. To really push the limits of styles we do and how many seasonal beers we can crank out of our small brewery. So it's exciting.
Aaron: Yeah. Then how was the community's response when you finally opened?
Aaron Colyn: The community's response was awesome. I mean, we had people knocking on our door way before we were open. The way with opening a brewery, and I'm sure a lot of people have had this happen to them, the goalpost keeps moving as far as when you're going to open.
Aaron: Did you make the mistake of printing a sign saying, " Coming this spring," and then you opened in the fall or put ...
Aaron Colyn: We said, " Coming soon." That was appropriate. I don't think by many people's standards, that was really soon by the time we actually opened. We really purposely avoided a hard date. Our idea was when things are perfect, we will open. I don't want to be forced, by the community. I don't want to be forced by our financial needs. I don't want to be forced by anything to open. I just want everything to be perfect and has to be happy with it.
Aaron: And open with more than one or two beers on tap here.
Aaron Colyn: Exactly, yeah. We were able to open with our four core beers on and a full kitchen menu. It wasn't like, " Food's coming soon." It was like, " No, these are the foods we do and we're doing them just as good as we will in the next couple months," right on day one.
Aaron: Right. In that time, what have you learned from the community's response?
Aaron Colyn: So much, so much. I think, as an owner, I've taken a hardcore fast crash course on everything you can imagine. I know how our pizza oven works and I know how to replace parts on that. A lot of plumbing, electrical, and brew house related things that I wouldn't have really been technical enough to know, I just know. I know our mill, taking our mill apart, taking our heat exchanger apart. The things that like you don't realize but you become an expert on the things that break really frequently or cause you hiccup. There's a lot of that technical knowledge. But I think we have a team now of 19 people here and working with such a dynamic team. There's so many different people, they communicate differently, they have different needs, they don't all respond the same way. I mean, it's a beautiful thing because it's what makes our team so lively and engaging for our customers too, because we have such deep relationships with a lot of the regulars that come in here. Working with that many people, everyday is a learning process. There's so many opportunities to figure out the best ways to communicate with people and the best ways to tackle any conflicts or issues that arise. It's something every business owner has to deal with. I'm really happy with our team and how we really look out for each other and see everything from each other's point of view. That's been really inspiring, as well as just this huge opportunity to learn these people skills that you might not have had access to otherwise.
Aaron: Right. Then what about the beer then? Are you packaging anything sending it anyway or is it just out of here?
Aaron Colyn: We made the decision really early on with help from a couple other breweries on the island that really pointed us in the direction of what model makes sense right now. For us, it was no packaging. So we were really inspired by those breweries that just worked so hard to keep their local community happy. I have to give a shout out to Cumberland Brewing Company because they've been doing this for a very long time. They have such a close knit community. They have the mountain biking community over there and they're so supportive of each other. It just builds this relationship where the community loves them and they love spending time there and they love the food. That was what we wanted. We wanted our local community to support us and we'll be looking out for them and they'll be looking out for us and everything else is just a cherry on top. In the tourism heavy season, we're very excited that new people are going to experience things and we love everyone coming and stopping in. We take care of our community and they'll take care of us. That was our model and that included before shipping pallets of cans or pallets of bombers across the province, I think, for some breweries that really works well, for us, I think it's a big loss of control. I feel I don't know what's going to happen with that beer, how it's going to be stored, how it's going to be perceived. I don't get to talk to the person that's taking a sip and tell them what went into it and why it's cool or why we're excited about it. It's just that opportunity to have a conversation and tell a story with people. That they try our beer is something we love. So if you come in, we're going to tell you about every single one of our beers, we're going to let you try them. We're going to tell you what went into them and we love that relationship with our customers. That being said, we have looked into perhaps doing limited runs because we have more and more people that want to take ... It's not about us sending, it's about people wanting to take it and show their friends and families. They're going on trips and they can't bring a growler and they would love some ...
Aaron: Or they would go into the coast and ...
Aaron Colyn: Exactly. They want to be a little more lightweight when they're bringing beer around than a growler. But so that's something we're looking into and it might be something that we end up looking at.
Aaron: Like a crowler option or something like that?
Aaron Colyn: Yeah. A lot of people are doing the crowler thing. I'm on the fence about crowlers just because I'm such a stickler for that repeatable, consistent, low oxygen. I want the beer to be in the best condition it possibly can be. Again, because once it leaves the building, we no longer have control over that experience when someone has the beer. I think, I've always liked ... 473 milk cans might be something we look at in the future.
Aaron: All right, cool. Well, if somebody was wanting to go down the path of opening up a brewery themselves would piece of advice you could give them?
Aaron Colyn: I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is who are you doing it for? Is it for the local community? Is it so you can send beer across BC? Across Canada? Figure out who the people are that you want to keep as your customers and figure out why. I think, a lot of people now we're getting to the point where there's a lot of breweries and you have to be very careful about what your plan of attack is for opening. What need are you filling? Where do you see yourself in the market? Are you pushing other people out or you're finding a new spot that isn't being ... A new kind of section in the market that's not being met? I just think it's now the time that we need to be careful about what kind of breweries we open or we're going to see more and more closing.
Aaron: If somebody was to come and visit Port Alberni, what's one of your favorite things to do around here when you're not here at the brewery?
Aaron Colyn: There's a lot of cool stuff here. This is the thing that I always push to people when they come to Port Alberni, if they're making like a trip out of it, something really neat is there's a tugboat that has been converted into a bed and breakfast. It sits down at the harbor. A lovely couple, Dan and Bushra, own it. They do a dinner party where you can buy seats to this three- course, four- course dinner. They only see 12 people a night. It's not like a menu you get to choose from, you just get what they make. She is a classically trained French Moroccan chef. The food is amazing. It's a cool experience. Dan is very into Belgian beers. He's got some really neat stuff in his collection. It's just always, just an amazing time that you wouldn't expect to have in a small community like Port Alberni. It's really classy and it's so weird to be on a tugboat having that experience but it's very cool. It's called Swept Away Inn. That's something that I always like people to at least do some research on and look into it because it's so cool.
Aaron: All right. Brilliant. Thanks, Aaron. First double double Aaron episode that I've done.
Aaron Colyn: Aarons, yeah.
Aaron: I know, right.
Aaron Colyn: Right.
Aaron: Thank you so much for your time.
Aaron Colyn: Yeah. Thanks for having me.
Aaron: Big thanks to Aaron for his time. Had a great time there and I had a great lunch as well. I'm really looking forward to going back and visiting the brewery again. All right, time to check out the second brewery that's located in Port Alberni. I stopped by Dog Mountain Brewing.
Andy Richards: Andy Richards, President and Co- Owner of Dog Mountain Brewing.
Robin Miles: Robin Miles, Vice President and Head Brewer at Dog Mountain Brewing.
Aaron: All right. Dog Mountain in Port Alberni, beautiful location. How long have you guys been open for?
Andy Richards: We opened on December 28th, 2019.
Aaron: Right. So just a few weeks.
Andy Richards: Yeah. A couple months.
Aaron: Couple of months.
Robin Miles: 10 weeks to be exact.
Andy Richards: Right. At the time of taping.
Aaron: At the time of taping, yes. How long is this project been in the works for?
Andy Richards: We purchased the building in June of 2018. Then went through our permitting process and renovations and all that. It took about a year and a half from when we started the planning to opening day.
Aaron: How did beer find you?
Robin Miles: Well, the very first thing, I guess, to say about how beer found us is for Christmas, 2015 maybe, I bought Andy a very low quality Mr. Beer Home Brew Kit and he made a terrible Mexican lager. Like the (inaudible) people we are, we drank it and it was really bad. But it was a lot of fun and we really liked creating beer. Even before that, we both really liked drinking beer. I guess that's how this whole project found us.
Aaron: I mean, that's quite a leap from a Mr. Beer to a brewery. I mean, was there anything in between that?
Andy Richards: Yes. We were living in Alberta for ... I was there for nine years and I'm from the islands so we knew we wanted to move back here at some point. We decided, while we were in Alberta, that Robin would need something to do when we moved out here and jobs can be a little more difficult to get here so we kind of knew we had to open our own business. We really had a decision to make on what we wanted it to be and what we wanted to do with our time. We love beer and Robin's a scientist so we decided Robin would go to school and become a brewer.
Aaron: A beer scientist.
Robin Miles: Well, I have a biological science degree from the University of Alberta. While I was there, I managed a yeast biotechnology lab. So I learned a lot about the process, just yeast in general, everything about it. And I interacted with a lot of very, very smart people there. I learned a lot there. Then yeah, I ran a store at the U of A, a central store as well, departmental, inside sales kind of thing. So I had a little bit of sales and purchasing kind of experience.
Aaron: Inventory.
Robin Miles: Yeah, yeah. Then when we moved, leaving Edmonton, we were like, " Well, we can't move directly to the island. We had no jobs or anything." Andy was lucky enough to get a good transfer within his company to a different section to Surrey. So we moved to Maple Ridge, which was beautiful but not at all what we were going for. We wanted to move out of Edmonton to get to live on the beautiful island and live the island life. While we were there, Andy worked and paid all the bills and I went to SFU and I did the Craft Beer Fundamentals Program, which was fantastic. While there, we both met some really great people through the Van Brewers actually and made some connections and I got a job offer at Russell. I went on as the third assistant brewer only for maybe four months, because in that time, we were looking for this building and we found it and we moved immediately. We only lived in Maple Ridge for six months and we got the heck out of there.
Aaron: All right. You said from the island, so Port Alberni is your original home?
Andy Richards: I grew up in Victoria. I lived in Victoria until I was 25. Then I was studying to be a heavy duty mechanic so I went to college at Camosun College in Victoria and decided that ... At that time, the market in Alberta was strong in the oil and gas sector so I went out there and did my apprenticeship out there in that sector and ended up managing a shop and having a few employees that way and kind of getting my feet wet in the management side there and then I got into sales selling truck engine parts to truck dealers. That was about it. We moved out to the mainland and the rest, I guess is history.
Aaron: Right. Was there any other communities on the island that you were looking for a brewery spot at?
Andy Richards: Yeah. We looked everywhere on the island. I followed real estate prices in all areas of the island for the entire time I was gone because I knew we were going to come back. Then we actually had plans to go to Cumberland and we had a purchase lined up for a building there that ended up falling through. We didn't really plan to come to Port Alberni, it was just like here and their building popped up and the price was right so we quickly came here and looked at it. Actually, the realtor brought me out back and showed me what the view could be from the patio. Just as he was saying the words rooftop patio, it dawned on me that this was the perfect building for us to buy and build a giant rooftop patio on.
Aaron: And it is a giant rooftop patio. Yeah, yeah. What do you have squeezed in the back there, Robin, in terms of the brew house and stuff?
Robin Miles: Well, we got a really a good deal on some (inaudible) equipment. We put in a seven barrel brew house. It's a three vessels system so we have a great big HLT that's good for all our hot water needs. We have five, well, I guess you would call them seven barrel fermenters but we jam as much in there as possible. We often have very messy blowouts. Yeah, it's all electric. We had to do some major, major upgrades for the electrical to the building. We have 800 amps coming to the building now, but it's worth it because the system is fantastic. No makeup air or anything like that. We have a little test batch system that we love to use. That's what we were brewing on when we were home brewing, too. It's a little 10 gallon system. We have a lot of fun with that.
Aaron: Did you have a certain style of beer in mind when you were opening and has that changed since opening?
Robin Miles: I would say that we decided quite early on ... Even though there are a lot of really fantastic crazy beers out there that a lot of people like, we found when we did our market research that the island might be a little bit of a different market just based on the breweries that are here. You can forget about Victoria because they're a totally different animal. But everywhere else craft beer is still quite new and we didn't want to come up here and assume that everybody wanted to have milkshake IPAs, which are great but it's a different market here. So we decided that we really wanted to make beer that people want to drink, beer that everybody can drink. We do have people coming in here that are like, " I drink Lucky, what can I have?" We have a really great lager on tap and we plan on having it all the time, year round, always in the tank. That's kind of, I guess, the direction we're taking. All that being said though, Andy just designed a really nice recipe to make a dry hops sour this morning. So we are going to be making other beers but to get off the ground, just a good solid lineup. A lot of these beers that we have on now, we have room for 12 taps. We plan on carrying a lot of them, maybe four of them all the time. It's hard to say which ones for sure just because we've only been open for a couple of months, but ...
Aaron: Spring tourism season (crosstalk)
Robin Miles: Yeah. It's going to be a little different and harder to keep up with some of the tourists that come in, I think.
Aaron: Are there plans to package your beer or is it just going to serve the taproom? What are you doing?
Andy Richards: We're focused mostly on ourselves because we have a small system for brewing and a large capacity on our rooftop patio. Packaged product is definitely secondary for us. We've started selling to some hospitality customers. We haven't really chased it too hard. I mean, we're new but our thing is kind of taking care of ourselves first. And we don't want to sign on a bunch of people on draft accounts and then disappoint them in the summertime when we can't meet that demand anymore.
Aaron: Yeah, because you just haven't experienced that yet.
Andy Richards: Yeah, exactly. Ourselves first and then if we can ... My goal is to have a couple draft accounts in each town along the island but we have no plans to can a bunch of beer and ship it to the interior or trans province or anything like that.
Aaron: Right.
Robin Miles: We do however have a very well- used single can seamer that we canned all of our homebrew stuff in and a pallet of tall cans and labels that have been approved. So we do have this little fridge here. We're going to be offering cans to go from here only. We are the last spot to pick up any liquor on the way to Bamfield. They got to drive up this road. We're going to maybe start pushing that here if we can get some cans in the fridge. I think that would be a ... You know, not making us a whole bunch of money but I think it's a really good service to offer to people then we'll get them coming back when they come back through.
Aaron: I mean, it's only been a few weeks but how's the community's response been?
Andy Richards: Really, really good. Yeah, it's been awesome. Yeah, we're just so happy with how the community has embraced us. We weren't from here. We came here specifically to do this project and it's been really great. While we were doing construction, we would have people driving by yelling at us and honking their horns. It's such a great community. When you come to a small town like this, they really embrace you, and you're probably not going to get your picture in the paper in Vancouver if you open another brewery. It's just it's been really great here.
Aaron: Then along with your beers, you do have this kitchen in the back. What are you serving up out of the kitchen?
Andy Richards: We have a fairly simple but delicious menu. Our mainstay is our donair that we make ourselves in house. We have the donair, we have a bunch of grilled sandwiches and stir fry Buddha Bowl and pretzel and beer cheese. It's all really good stuff. Butcher quality meats, bakery, breads, really local produce. It's great.
Robin Miles: I do want to say that we do have vegan and gluten- free options. That was something that, as we were opening, people on social media and friends were telling us we needed to do all this stuff. Everybody's full of all this advice, and you're like, " Oh, my God. Stop. I need to plan the business." We thought that people were ... I didn't believe that we would have as many vegetarian people or vegans or people that needed gluten- free. I'm really glad that we did listen to a few of those people so we do have those options now and it turns out it's quite important to have. Andy and I both are meatatarians. It's one of those things where I was like, " Nobody will want a vegan sandwich." Well, it turns out they do so I think that's good to know.
Aaron: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Totally. The patio is not 100% done yet, but how many people can you get up there? And are there going to be any attractions in the summer that you're doing up there?
Andy Richards: Yeah. So we have a capacity of 124 on the rooftop patio. We currently have seating for 50 to 60. We have integrated some benches around the outside and we have a bunch of picnic tables under cover. It's about 40% covered and heated. Then we're in the process of building seating for another about 40 people. So we should comfortably seat our capacity of 124. Whether or not we allow it to get to that and are able to serve enough beer and food for that many people comfortably is yet to be determined.
Aaron: Yeah. I should know there is a downstairs bar and an upstairs bar so you don't have to keep going up and down, up and down.
Andy Richards: Yeah. It was really the focus of our project, was building that rooftop patio. Well, we definitely put far more into building the patio than we did the interior of the building. So the interior is kind of utilitarian and the patio is very nicely finished and rustic, finished with style. We have a bar with the same 12 taps as we do in the tap room. We have two bathrooms, we have the provisions for live music, which is going to be a staple of the summertime. It's just going to be great.
Aaron: The sunset is right on your patio, too.
Andy Richards: Yeah. The sun sets directly in front of us and we have a view of the Alberni Valley and the inlet that is absolutely stunning.
Aaron: Yes. Yes, it is. If somebody was to come here and visit, what would be the experience you want them to leave with? The idea stuck in their mind?
Robin Miles: Wow. That's kind of hard to say. We've had a lot of people come through and they come in the tasting room and it's full and they're a little disappointed. Then once we say, " Well, there's room on the patio," and everybody is very surprised. They go up there and, nowhere to lie, everybody is amazed. They walk around that corner from the stairs and they see the cover and the lighting and the tables. We really hit that part, I think. For us, I want people to come here and frankly, maybe some low expectations. It doesn't look extraordinary down here. Our draft tower is pretty cool down here.
Aaron: That's a very creative venue, too so (crosstalk)
Robin Miles: But then I want them to leave amazed. They're going to go upstairs, they're going to be like, " What?" Then they get table service so that's a different thing we do upstairs, too. We really are focused on customer service up there. Not standing at the bar, waiting for your drinks and things like that. Sit down, get comfortable, enjoy the view. We'll bring you beer. I want them to leave surprised, to be like they never expected this. Because there's nothing else like it here. There's not very many places like that. Specifically our patio on the island and we really tried to be different and we want people to leave remembering that and thinking that.
Aaron: Yeah. Well, cool. If somebody was wanting to open up a brewery themselves, what would be some advice you can give them?
Andy Richards: I would say, find a community that you know is going to embrace you and maybe doesn't have a lot of breweries in it already. Choose a spot that is in the worst location that you can find so that you get a good deal on your real estate and try to buy the building. That has been the footing of our business. It's allowed us to have more stable and favorable loans. It's going to build you wealth over the long term and it's just a better investment than making some landlord rich in downtown Vancouver.
Aaron: Yeah. Robin, as a yeast specialist, do you have any special strains back there that you haven't used yet or any particular yeast that you're going to work in the mix here?
Robin Miles: Well, I don't know. I would just say that we're very lucky that we were able to modify some of our recipes that we had already been home brewing and test batching and use a lot of the new Norwegian strains that are out there. It's hard for breweries that are already established. Possibly, tasting rooms haven't been around, the lounges for a very long time and they're all stuck doing a lot of production so they can't just change their recipe and use a yeast that makes your beer grain to glass in five days. We're doing a lot of work with different strains, really having a lot of fun with that. But other than that, not really. There's nothing really weird back there. We're staying away from things like Brettanomyces. We try to have, like I said, a lot ofvery clean, sessionable beers, low alcohol and God forbid, we did get an infection, it's just not ... We're not interested in doing that.
Aaron: Because a very tiny space, it'd be rampant quickly back there.
Robin Miles: Yes. We have a very strict cleaning protocol. If you saw it, it's tight back there. We got to keep things clean and organized.
Aaron: All right. Well, thank you very much for your time. Really appreciate it. Definitely going to come back when the patio is completely finished and really enjoy that. But I mean, I'm going to enjoy it now in the sunshine. I mean, I'd be ridiculous if I ran away.
Robin Miles: Awesome.
Andy Richards: Right on. Thank you.
Robin Miles: Thanks for coming.
Aaron: Thanks to Andy and Robin for their time. Really appreciate it. It was a beautiful day there and that was such an awesome patio. I cannot wait to go back and see that patio fully done and be able to enjoy the view and just look down the valley with some really nice beer and something from their awesome kitchen as well. We're really looking forward to going back and visiting both Twin City and Dog Mountain Brewing. Just before we go, I want to thank the BC Ale Trail again for making this episode possible. Check them out. As well as the other new app at bcaletrail. ca. If you like what you heard today I do hope you get subscribed wherever you've been listening to this podcast. If you want more details about other Brewery's past episodes, anything of that matter, go to the website, cascadian. beer. Thank you so much again for your time and listening to this podcast series. I really do appreciate it. And until next time, remember, support your local.