Bill Curtis: Everybody ready?
Ed Larson: Mm- hmm ( affirmative).
Bill Curtis: Welcome to Politics, Meet Me in the Middle. I'm Bill Curtis. Well, firstly, our co- hosts are Pulitzer prize- winning historian, bestselling author, worldwide lecturer, and widely quoted socially distant and zoomed- in authority of everything historical and constitutional, Professor Ed Larson. How are you doing, Ed?
Ed Larson: Hello. Nice to be with you and Jane, but especially wonderful to see Paul.
Bill Curtis: Okay. And also zooming in, we've got Jane Albrecht. She's an international trade attorney, who's represented U. S. interest to high- level government officials all over the world. And she's been involved with several U. S. presidential campaigns and in full disclosure, she's also president of the local Malibu Democratic Club. Jane, it's nice to remote see you again too.
Jane Albrecht: It's always a pleasure and honor to be here.
Bill Curtis: Can you say that again, but pull into your microphone?
Jane Albrecht: Yeah, is the microphone a problem? Yeah, we didn't really do a final sound test. Is that working?
Bill Curtis: Yep.
Jane Albrecht: It's always a pleasure, a delight and an honor to be here.
Bill Curtis: And Paul Rosenzweig, we are honored to have the founder of the Homeland Security consulting company, Red Branch Consulting and senior advisor to the Chertoff Group. He was the first deputy assistant secretary for policy in the Department of Homeland Security and he's an author, he's a consistent contributor to the Atlantic and he's frequently the authority on CNN and in full disclosure, Paul considers himself a Republican. Welcome, Paul.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, not any more. I actually changed my political affiliation a while ago. I'm now officially an independent. But I think it's fair to say I consider myself a conservative still.
Bill Curtis: Well, so you're in the middle. We'll still find the middle here someplace.
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes.
Ed Larson: I'm with you, Paul. I switched to an independent.
Bill Curtis: I think that the last few years has changed a lot of people's stance on some of that. That's just what our show is all about. So Paul, let's go back a little bit. When formed originally, specifically, what was the role of the Department of Homeland Security and how was it formed?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, the Department of Homeland Security quite obviously was a response to the tragedy of 9/ 11 and the death of 3000 Americans or less that day. But more concretely, it was a response to the perceived lack of coordination of the Government's anti- terrorism, counter terrorism and border security efforts, which were, at that time, distributed across a number of different agencies. The coast guard guarded the maritime border and it was in the Department of Transportation. Customs and Border Patrol where... Customs was in the Department of Treasury, Border Patrol was in the Department of Justice. It was basically a-
Bill Curtis: Just kind of a coordination structure?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yeah. A lack of a coordination structure. It was a nightmare. And so the idea, which mostly grew out of the 9/ 11 Commission's review of what went wrong on September 11th, was to create a overarching superstructure of coordination that would bind all of these different things together in a way that would create a unity of effort and a locus for the focus of our counter- terrorism efforts. Especially, since at that time, we all thought that the Al Qaeda attacks of 9/ 11 were the first of a series. And happily that has not proven the [crosstalk 00:03:57].
Bill Curtis: So it was quickly assembled after 9/ 11?
Paul Rosenzweig: No, not very quickly at all. It took a couple years before the department was actually created. The very first thing that happened was that President Bush created an office of Homeland Security in the White House, which was intended to be a coordinating function, much like the National Security Council is intended to knit together the Department of Defense and the Department of State and all of our foreign and international engagements, including the International Trade Commission, I guess.
Bill Curtis: I'm curious, Paul, why wasn't the FBI involved in that group?
Paul Rosenzweig: In the office of Homeland Security? It was initially. They had a major counter- terrorism mission. And indeed one of the reasons that the actual formation of the Department of Homeland Security was delayed was that many people thought that the FBI should move over to the new office of Homeland Security. And there was, in typical Washington parlance, a bureaucratic knife fight over that one with a lot of blood spilled on the floor.
Bill Curtis: Interesting. So Jane, I think you had had a slightly different opinion of how the FBI and, I don't know, did the CIA end up part of this thing?
Jane Albrecht: Right. Yeah. I think I was in Washington at the time and recall everything that Paul is saying and he's basically right. There was bureaucratic fighting. I always believe in quality government and efficient government and I have never been convinced, and this is nothing with respect to you, Paul, because you worked hard and tried to do good. I've never been convinced the Department of Homeland Security was an effective and good idea to solve the problems. Paul is right. The main problem with 9/ 11 was the failure of particularly our various agencies, FBI, State, CIA DIA, to share, effectively, certain information, all of which they had, but sometimes they guarded it jealously and sometimes it was just not effective communication.
Bill Curtis: So after the creation of Homeland Security, Jane, did the communication improve?
Jane Albrecht: Well, that's...
Bill Curtis: Or maybe Paul?
Jane Albrecht: Paul could say that better, but the problem is that the creation of the Department of Homeland Security did not solve the communication problem. What you really needed was an executive order saying everybody report to the NSA and that's a different matter. So this is not to-
Bill Curtis: Paul, what do you think of that?
Paul Rosenzweig: I tend to agree with Jane that the department has been more promising and less delivery than we would like. The one area where it has been successful is probably in the unity of effort at the border itself, knitting together, customs, the agricultural inspection agency, the border immigration pieces, like border patrol. So there's now a kind of seamless border around the country, plus the coast guard at the maritime edges. But most of the rest of it has been less successful than we wanted, mostly because we've made it the center of DHS has no power at all. The secretary doesn't have a lot of authority.
Jane Albrecht: Well, on top of that, Paul, you were absolutely-
Bill Curtis: Yeah, Ed?
Jane Albrecht: Yeah, go ahead, Ed. Did you want to say something?
Ed Larson: Sure. Part of the problem, I think, as Paul's suggesting, is it didn't end up including the best intelligence gatherers. And what it is you're supposed to share that intelligence. And while I agree, I think the border is where it works best because they're the key organizations involving the border, including the coast guard, are involved. But CIA, the military intelligence and the FBI are the key intelligence gatherers and if they're not part of it, you've got the old problem just continuing. And then how closely you have an oversight organization, an individual who tries to listen to what the FBI and the CIA and the military intelligence is gathering and coordinate that, but it's not Homeland Security.
Bill Curtis: So Paul, let me ask you before the formation of Homeland Security, which sounds like it was a difficult coordination job. Were some of these agencies in possession of knowledge that could have saved us from 9/ 11?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, that's obviously a counterfactual that can't be proven, but the 9/ 11 Commission identified a wall, a barrier between the law enforcement community and the intelligence community that it says did contribute to missing the blinking red signals. That was The Lights were Flashing Red was the title of one of the chapters of the 9/ 11 Commission report. There were famously a number of FBI agents, one named Coleen Rowley and another whose name escapes me at the moment, who wrote about how if they'd only known X, they would have been able to do Y and that would have worked out much better. One involved Zachariah Moussaoui, who was the fellow who took only takeoff lessons, not landing lessons, which ought to have been a cue to somebody. So all of that was part and parcel of an effort to create DHS and also some other structures. For example, the National Counter Terrorism Center, the NCTC isn't is an all threats, all information center that was built out in Virginia now where they take streams from DIA and CIA and NSA and DHS, and they try and merge it all together, again, with some success, but not necessarily all success.
Bill Curtis: Let me ask all of you, if I may, how has the Department of Homeland Security changed in the last 20 years?
Jane Albrecht: I think Paul would know best about that, wouldn't you Paul?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, I would say that the arc of the agency began with five to seven years of just trying to do integration. When you do that kind of big an organization, just pulling it all together and making sure everybody knows where the bathrooms are, metaphorically speaking.
Bill Curtis: Must be a massive amount of data sharing that had to go on.
Jane Albrecht: Data sharing, with incommensurate systems, it took them two years to get everybody on the same email server, I think. No joke, but we laugh, but that's emblematic of it. So the first five years, I would say, from when president Bush started it till the end of the Bush administration in '09 was basically foundation building. And then the Obama administration began to be able to take advantage of some of the synergies and take this newly created car out for a little bit of a ride, for example. One good example of was that they did a, from my perspective, very good job in coordinating cyber security issues across the Government in ways that might not have been as successful if DHS hadn't existed. And then in the last four years, obviously the focus of the department has changed at presidential direction. It's mostly become a department of immigration enforcement. It's all about immigration enforcement and not even about customs, not really about cyber, very little about emergency management and response, not a lot about aviation security, certainly not about pandemic planning. And so what we've seen in the last four years, I would say is a regression of the department back from its all- threats perspective, which is how we used to think of it, to one that is much more narrowly focused, exclusively on a single- threat stream, the immigration- threat stream. And that obviously is... Well, the polite way to say, it's a product of president Trump's unique focus on that as a critical issue.
Bill Curtis: Well, I noticed that during your tenure at Homeland Security, a couple of your focuses were very interesting to me. One of which was international riles for data protection. Is that another term for cyber security?
Paul Rosenzweig: Actually, no. Rules for international data protection were rules about when we, as the U. S. Government could or should share information with say our partners in Europe or when Europeans would share information with us, more limitedly with other nations like Brazil or India.
Bill Curtis: What type of information?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, the main locus of that information at the time was large- scale data sets about things like who's moving money around and who's traveling. It turns out that the best ways to kind of get a handle on terrorist activity are through following their communications, which was NSA's job, following their money movement, which was Treasury's job and following their travel, which was DHS' job. Since the three things you needed to do to become a terrorist, were talk to each other, have enough money to buy what you needed to do it, and then actually get to where you want it to go to blow stuff up. And so strategically our goal was to get better insight into how terrorists were moving around the globe, including through Europe. The problem with that is that in order to get insight into terrorist movement, you have to collect information about the movement of everybody. There are, last I looked, 80 million arrivals in the U. S. from overseas every year, nobody-
Bill Curtis: Help me understand why you would need to track everybody's movement in order to track certain targets that you've identified as potentially dangerous?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, first off, often we don't identify them until after they've traveled. So if we don't have a historic record of who's entered the United States in the last six months, say, I can't look back and say, " I just found out that the [ Mohammed Attar 00: 15:10] arrive, who is a terrorist, and he may have arrived sometime in the last six months. So that's the first bit of it, but the other more innovative and also candidly intrusive aspect of it was that we wanted to build a system that would build connections between people. So for example, if we knew that Mohammed Attar was a terrorist, we would also want to know something about the person who made a reservation with the same travel agency on the same day as Mohammed Attar.
Bill Curtis: I understand that but how does it help the knowledge of how they travel if you're also tracking Jane Albrecht?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, it doesn't help to know that Jane Albrecht is traveling, but we don't know about that connection until afterwards. The theory is [inaudible 00:16:06], it's a big data thing. I collected all then I sift it and I discard Jane because she's an innocent lady, but then I look at the thing and say, "Attar, a bad guy," seated on the airplane next to Ed Larson. Maybe all of a sudden I should be interested in Ed.
Bill Curtis: That's not a surprise really.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, no, in this case, not. But the challenge of course is you have to trust the Government to discard Jane and also to discard Ed after we've looked at him briefly and said, " That was just an accident. He happened..." Because on the other side of Ed was Ed's wife and they had the aisle in the middle and Mohammed had the window. So tough beings for Ed.
Bill Curtis: So one of the things that I remember back then, because two decades ago doesn't seem like that far from me anymore, we were concerned that the tools used to track potential terrorists targets could also be used to track, I don't know , the other political party, for example.
Paul Rosenzweig: That's exactly what the problem was with the collection in the first instance that they... the department took the view that the terrorist threat was sufficiently real and that risk was small. So we were urging that we go forward with it. Your concern was very real because I could just as readily say, " Let's track Jane because she's the head of the Democratic Party in Malibu and follow all the people that she knows and build a profile on her." The Europeans were very reluctant to share information with the United States on exactly that basis. For example, they thought that we might target labor union members or people with disabilities or any sorts of other things. And so we had to do a lot of work to assure them that we were actually going to be respectful of European privacy. And then the last point I'll mention is this is still going on. Just last month, the European Court of Justice struck down the latest agreement between the United States and the European Union. Something known as the privacy shield, which was a promise from the U. S. Government to not use commercial data collected in Europe to target Europeans. The Court of Justice for the European Union said that the American promises of this was written in the Obama administration were insufficient and struck the agreement down. So all the commercial people are going crazy right now, trying to figure out what to do.
Bill Curtis: So it sounds like at least back then you weren't focused on, I'm going to say that again because I whacked my microphone. It sounds like back then, you weren't really focused on cyber security, but now cyber security could actually be a method of terrorism now, couldn't it?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes, it could. By the way, I was focused and the international data sharing was just one part of my portfolio. I worked on President Bush's first comprehensive national cyber security initiative, which was classified top secret at the time.
Bill Curtis: So tell me really, is China really listening right now?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes.
Bill Curtis: What does that mean to us?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, right now, I think it means absolutely nothing. There's nothing I'm saying now that, that the Chinese would be that interested in.
Bill Curtis: I don't necessarily mean in this program. I hope they're listening to this program.
Paul Rosenzweig: I do too.
Bill Curtis: Are they actually stealing our secrets and our data and have they basically hacked our systems?
Paul Rosenzweig: Pretty much. Four or five years ago, the Chinese breached the Office of Personnel Management, which was the repository for all of the information about people in America who hold top secret and secret clearances. And in order to get the clearance, we have to disclose to the government, everything about us, all of our peccadilloes.
Bill Curtis: The NOC list on Mission Impossible.
Paul Rosenzweig: Right. It's not quite the NOC because it's not [inaudible 00:20:13], but yes, basically. My SF- 86, which is the standard form 86, disclosed everything about my life from high school forward, including the last time I used narcotics, which was happily far enough in the past not to really matter. In my instance, it did not disclose that I'd had any mental illnesses because I have not. But in other instances, if you disclose that and it's not a barrier, they just want to know. And the Chinese stole that out from under us. And so they have everything about me personally that I disclose to the U. S. government. So, I'm hosed, baby.
Bill Curtis: Well, but okay, you're hosed. With all the data that supposedly China has hacked their way into. Is there really a method of mining, such a massive amount of information and learning anything from it?
Jane Albrecht: Yes.
Bill Curtis: Yes.
Paul Rosenzweig: Surely.
Bill Curtis: So give me some examples, Ed.
Ed Larson: Well, all they have to do is focus on who they have to deal with on a particular issue. If they're dealing with a sir, if they have to look at this person, they can look. If Paul is actually getting involved with something in the next administration and they're having to deal with them, they can look up right where his weaknesses might be, might how they want to deal with them. So because these are all individualized information, they can focus in on anybody they want. Then beyond that they can run sort of large searches for certain issues and see who pops up on those issues. So those are at least two different ways that they can readily use it. And Paul can easily add a few more.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, it's actually very simple. I mean, you can find out what my hobbies are. And so, and it is a commonplace that is known in the intelligence means that you're much more vulnerable to people who share your interests. It happens that you would learn that I'm a baseball fan. Go nets.
Bill Curtis: No, go Dodgers.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, okay.
Jane Albrecht: No, go Cards.
Paul Rosenzweig: Go Cards? Hopefully they get to play sometime soon.
Jane Albrecht: Yeah, exactly.
Paul Rosenzweig: But I have always known that I'm much more personally responsive to somebody with whom I want to start talking about how good Clayton Kershaw is. We can have that discussion, whether Clayton Kershaw is better than Strasburg or Strasburg is better than Kershaw, you and I can have a fun discussion for the next 20 minutes. And at the end of it, I'll like you. And then I will trust you. And it doesn't matter. And because of that, when you come to me sometime and ask me something, I might slip.
Bill Curtis: So it basically helps in the act of spying?
Paul Rosenzweig: Definitely helps in the act of spying.
Jane Albrecht: But you asked how, Bill. And how is very sophisticated search programs. It's the same possibly better, we don't know how far it's advanced, search technology that NSA uses to monitor our emails and sometimes phone calls and that's [crosstalk 00:23:21].
Bill Curtis: But what they're looking for-
Paul Rosenzweig: Or they could use this to figure out what you're interested in.
Ed Larson: Think back how the famous historical example of this would have been in the forties and fifties, when they worried about anybody who was homosexual, because they could so easily blackmail them back then when that was a black ball. Well, the same way now, suppose they look through those forms and find that you admitted to an affair that you've never told your spouse about. There's other things that you can use to sort of blackmail them. So I agree both the affiliation, how you work out affections, like Paul's talking about, that is you're both pretend to be a baseball fan and work out friendship with him or find out about what stocks they own or what their personal life is, and then use it for good or for ill. Think of what if they found out that one of our senators was closetly gay and active, and then they could use that to threaten to expose that person. So you can use these things in a lot of ways. It just depends. You you just have to think like a spy and think like somebody who will do this.
Jane Albrecht: But, of course, that's why when you go into the government, the important thing is to disclose all your peccadilloes because they can only blackmail you and extort you if you've got secrets, that's one reason what [crosstalk 00:24:46].
Bill Curtis: Let's talk to our listeners for a second. I don't know. Maybe we have 100 or 200, 000 people listening and that nice woman who makes my coffee at Starbucks. I'm just curious, before we freak her out by saying your- Before we freak her out by saying, you're being watched and listened to and exposed, are regular people that are not in the government and not actually involved in negotiations. I'm going to say this again when the helicopter passes.
Jane Albrecht: Oh, so there's a helicopter monitoring you, huh?
Bill Curtis: All right. Yes. Are regular people who are not involved in the government and not involved in negotiations with China, are they at risk here or is that really pretty much just noise? Because you're not going to closely monitor individuals who are making coffee at Starbucks, are you?
Paul Rosenzweig: That's correct. There are however, two ways in which the barista at Starbucks needs to be aware of this. The first is that we've been talking at a governmental level about risks to national security. There's another level that almost every American has experienced, which is the risk of identity theft and cyber crime. On average, 30% to 40% of Americans have had to change a password, change a credit card, had their data stolen from target or Home Depot and have experienced some of that. So, that's a real risk for everybody. It's not the same existential risk as national security in China in the Trump or Bush administrations. But what it is, is a risk to them for their money and their personal identity. I actually had a friend recently whose account was hacked on Facebook and the hacked account sent out this horrifically racist and antisemitic screed that was totally inconsistent with the person I knew. But which caused no amount of anguish for him because he had to convince everybody that it really wasn't him, that he'd been hacked and that he hadn't just gotten drunk one day and revealed his true self. So, that's the first way in which it's relevant. The second way in which it's relevant is really in the aggregate, which is to say that information about Americans as a group or any society as a group allows people to manipulate our social systems in ways that are disruptive of our political discourse in American norms. The classic case of this is the Russians. In 2016, who were on both sides of Black Lives Matter, advocating for Black Lives Matter with some fake accounts and talking to all those people about how their issue wasn't being taken seriously and then advocating for Blue Lives Matter and saying to all the pro police, pro order people that their issue wasn't being taken seriously. They spun people up with fake accounts and fake meetings, and fake anger, anguish that was mostly derived from collecting, mining our social media and figuring out what our weak points are.
Bill Curtis: An interesting strategy. Are we as good at infiltrating the cyber systems in China as they are at infiltrating ours?
Paul Rosenzweig: Probably. The answer to that is, I'm sure classified and I don't know it. If I did, I wouldn't answer it. But the honest answer is probably. Where we're very good, we tend to be smaller. China acts at scale. So they've got 3 million hackers where we've got 3, 000 but ours tend to kind of come from a slightly higher cream.
Bill Curtis: Ed?
Ed Larson: Again, I'm like Paul, I have no way to have inside information on this, but the countries you might think about using would be probably less China though maybe you do it with Hong Kong somewhat. But some other country like Iran, try to use this sort of collected information to figure out who might be on one side, who might be on the other, and then try to disrupt situations in Iran or Venezuela or Nicaragua or other countries, maybe Cuba. That we have more immediate issues with, sort of like Russia did to the United States.
Bill Curtis: Interesting. So, we can act incredibly indignant that some other countries are listening to us and taking our data, but we're all doing it, aren't we?
Paul Rosenzweig: We are, though it's at least worth noting that the official American policy, that as announced by President Obama and actually reaffirmed by President Trump publicly, is that we will not steal Chinese data for the economic benefit of American companies, or anybody's data. Now, you may not believe them, which that's an interesting question. But if you do accept that, that puts us in a slightly different category than much of the Chinese efforts. I've actually had clients whose intellectual property was taken by China and six months later, knock offs were arriving on the boat in Seattle at two thirds the price and putting them under severe economic pressure.
Bill Curtis: But Paul, we like many other countries have agreed in principle that we wouldn't use torture in wartime and I'm not sure that we stuck to that principle.
Paul Rosenzweig: Like I said, you can believe them or not.
Ed Larson: And you should also remember the key word in what Paul said, they affirm to not use it for economic purpose. That is, they won't steal how TikTok works and give it to Microsoft or something like that. But they didn't say the same thing about for political reasons and of course, what Russia did was steal it for political reasons and I presume China does as well. Whenever president Trump gets asked this question about something the Russians do, he immediately replies, well, we're no angels either, we do it too, and he probably knows. So, there you got Trump affirming that we do it.
Jane Albrecht: There's no question that in the past, and currently, we've tried to influence Russian elections. No one likes to say it, but we have, and other countries as well. The CIA did that and it was considered okay, because it was much less costly in terms of money and human lives to try to influence an election than to do assassination or worse, invasion. We do it, we're just not used to other people doing it to us. I'm not saying I approve of what Trump does, I'm just saying it's a fact.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, interesting. That noted. Let's take a quick break. We'll be back with Paul Rosenzweig in just a minute. Everybody take a breath. How are we doing. Hey, Jay or Mike do you need anything so far?
Speaker 1: No, we're good. Good for me.
Paul Rosenzweig: Do you hear the-
Bill Curtis: Are you on a laptop by any chance?
Paul Rosenzweig: I am.
Bill Curtis: Can you tilt the screen down a little bit? We have your head like towards the, yeah. Yeah, just stay that's perfect. Thank you.
Paul Rosenzweig: My pleasure. I actually have a Razer Kiyo, which they sent it to me so I could do a CNN. It's a high highfalutin camera and I have a snowball.
Bill Curtis: Yeah. You didn't tell us. So who is they?
Paul Rosenzweig: Our street Institute where I'm a senior fellow likes it when I do CNN. So I first started coming down here. They set me up with, it's not a home recording studio, but I've got a really spiffy camera that's better than your average laptop camera. It even has a little independent light that I sometimes put on when it's darker. And they gave me this giant microphone.
Bill Curtis: You know that it's all Chinese made, right?
Paul Rosenzweig: Oh yes, absolutely. But I've reached the conclusion that if I've got grits, I keep them on something other than an electronic system.
Bill Curtis: A file cabinet. I remember those.
Jane Albrecht: What about keeping it on a computer that you don't connect to the internet?
Paul Rosenzweig: Not all computers that are not, you don't connect to the internet don't connect to the internet. I can install on your computer, not me personally, I'm not good enough. But one can install on your computer, a system that if it has the capability, right, if you have a WIFI, if you have an antenna, which every laptop does right now, you can turn it on while not knowing that and connect same true with your phone. Even if you've turned off the... you see this phone it's off right now.
Bill Curtis: But it knows where you are in, and it's tracking you.
Paul Rosenzweig: And it could be on for all I know. There are programs that can turn this on, but maintain a dark screen. Actually, one of my favorite stories is that those programs use a fair bit of energy. So the first way that people first noticed that they existed was that you turn off your phone and it would have a full battery. And when you turned it on, it didn't have 50%. And people would go like, shit, my battery's not working. And eventually they figured out that there was a drain. So now they come with a little sub- routine that marks what your battery symbol was when they start and then puts that back up and then slowly drops it down to where it actually is at just more rapidly than you would notice.
Bill Curtis: Pretty crazy. Okay. Shall we restart?
Jane Albrecht: Okay.
Bill Curtis: Everybody take a breath. So we're back with Paul Rosenzweig talking Homeland Security. Paul I also noticed in your bio that you had a focus back in Homeland Security on avian flu. Was that because you saw it as a potential weaponized disease?
Paul Rosenzweig: No, it was because we were concerned about it as a pandemic. Avian flu, you may remember in the mid bodies is transmitted by birds and from people to people. And when it initially appeared in China or Vietnam it seemed to grow like Topsy. And we were worried about it being communicated to the United States. So we were trying to figure out both what its risk was to humans, as opposed to birds and what its propagation would look like, and whether or not we could prevent its entry into the United States. So it was very much pandemic planning of the sort that would have been useful to have done more of in the run up to COVID- 19.
Bill Curtis: So is Homeland Security involved in today's challenge?
Paul Rosenzweig: They should be. They have a lot of the emergency planning and response capabilities. Obviously the medical side of this, the epidemiology side of this is outside of their expertise. They have a small office of health affairs that has 50 kind of doctor and epidemiology types. But America's expertise in that is in Centers for Disease Control, the Asheville Institutes for Health and the Health and Human Services, HHS. So that's where people who know stuff about that are residing. What DHS has or what it did in the avian flu experience and what it has today is experienced in a, stopping things from coming in at borders. We've missed that boat already with COVID- 19, but that would have been a possible. And b, about the distribution of emergency supplies and communication and emergency communications to people who are suffering in times of crisis. They develop that mostly from earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, that sort of thing. But also through the distribution of vaccines and other critical goods, right? They have a whole plan for distributing food, for distributing water during times of crisis. So they have basically the logistical chain that is going to be the next most important part of our response to COVID- 19. On the day we get the vaccine, that doesn't mean everybody's got it, right? We've got to manufacture 350 million of them. Not being the rough population in the United States. Got to vaccinate everybody, which means that if we vaccinate three and a half million people a day, it's going to take us 100 and three and a half million vaccines a day is a lot of vaccines. You need enough people to give it. You got distributed in vials with syringes on trucks. I mean, I don't know, but maybe the vaccine will need to be refrigerated, or maintain the room temperature.
Bill Curtis: Paul this seems like a somewhat broadened sensibility for an organization like Department of Homeland Security that was put together to combat terrorism.
Paul Rosenzweig: It is, but it isn't. The idea was that all of our responses to crises look the same after the crisis happens, whether or not it's a nuclear weapon exploding in New York or a plane flying into the World Trade Center, or a hurricane hitting Miami. In the immediate aftermath, the cleanup is going to involve mostly not exclusively, but mostly the same things. Yeah. Clearing away the rubble, bringing food in, getting communications back up and running, giving people places to shelter. There are some unique pieces of it like decontaminating a nuclear bomb site that don't happen in every instance. But the assessment was and we may or may not be have been right. But the assessment was that by and large, our response to mass catastrophes looks more alike than it does different even given different causes. And so they put all of the emergency response and preparation, planning, and response, and recovery in DHS for that reason.
Bill Curtis: So why is department of Homeland Security have virtually nothing to do with COVID?
Paul Rosenzweig: It is FEMA Jane, that's what FEMA.
Bill Curtis: Can you say that again? So I'm not interrupting you Jane.
Jane Albrecht: Everything you've mentioned is FEMA, it's not the rest of the.
Paul Rosenzweig: Mostly, I mean, one of the brilliant (inaudible) of DHS that we haven't realized was the idea of being able to take other resources and bring them to bear on a crisis. For example, in hurricanes, it's very frequently the coast guard that is a responder, right. Coast guard helicopters and things like that. In many of the other instances, for example, it's aviation stuff that has to be flown in. So that involves TSA. Plus the whole idea was to give the secretary of Homeland Security, the unique coordinating role for all of the federal government. So he could then call in national guard troops from DOD, Department of State has a role coordinating federal donations of a significant fraction of what we get to respond to a hurricane is the kindness of people in Germany or Japan. Right. So that's a state department thing. So the idea was to create this one locus for coordination, which was DHS, with FEMA carrying the main load, using the immediate resources of DHS for the next outermost ring, and then broadening it out to DOD state department of justice, FBI, whatever,
Bill Curtis: Paul, you're going to move immediately know where I'm going with this, but I'm going to ask Ed a historian to talk to us a little bit about when have federal troops been used and deployed inside the United States for the purposes of enforcing local laws.
Ed Larson: Not very often, what is much more common is the use of federal troops often actually not the army, often actually the federalized state militia or national guard, but federalized under federal control have been used to domestically enforce federal law. That's the much more common all the way back to George Washington, leading a militia of thousands of men to enforce the federal tax laws in Pennsylvania and the so called whiskey rebellion. And then you can just go right just forward. I mean, Colonel Robert Lee and forced a protection of Harpers Ferry, a federal institution from the attacks of John Brown during reconstruction. Federal troops were all over the South enforcing federal civil rights laws to protect African Americans or the Pullman Strike in the so- called Gilded era. There are several railroad strikes where federal troops were using the depression era. Federal troops were used to monitor the veterans marshes. And then of course, Eisenhower famously used the federal troops to enforce court ordered desegregation. So you have a lawful lot of examples. And once the federal troops are there ostensibly and primarily to enforce federal law, they of course have a general police presence that will enforce state law as well, therefore local law and state law. The other example that you do have historically is when a governor will call upon the federal government to send in troops, such as in, during the riots between various riots, massive riots that occurred in the mid- 1960s. Whether it be Los Angeles or Detroit, you had governors or local officials calling for help to send in federal troops.
Bill Curtis: Didn't that have to get signed off.
Ed Larson: Usually those are the examples.
Bill Curtis: Didn't that have to get signed off by both the governor and the president [crosstalk 00:44:43]?
Ed Larson: No, the governor had to request it. It wasn't signed off. It was a government governor initiating the request. Now, of course often the federal government had said, we're ready to do it if you ask for us. So really the examples you have are using federal troops domestically to enforce federal law. And that of course, was a claim in Portland recently because what they kept saying is we're here to protect the federal courthouse. And the question is, how far beyond did those troops go? And then you have the alternative examples such as the LA riots of sending in federal troops at the request of the local officials or the governor who signed off and indeed asked for it. So those are the historic examples.
Bill Curtis: I'm sorry. In Portland the governor asked for it?
Ed Larson: No. In Portland was the other example.
Bill Curtis: Exactly.
Ed Larson: It was the example of using federal troops domestically to enforce federal law in case protecting the federal courthouse. That's like sending Colonel Robert E. Lee into Harpers Ferry to protect the armory after John Brown attacked it. Now, the question is, is that all they did? How far did they go beyond it? But that was the legal precedent that they would use?
Bill Curtis: Okay, devil's in the details. So Paul, has there been circumstances where these kinds of troops were deployed by the federal government actually in spite of the local governors not wanting those troops to appear?
Paul Rosenzweig: So I'm going to start with a gentle disagreement with the phrase. I wouldn't call them troops, right? Because none of these were national guard troops of the sort that Ed's history was accurately describing. Either federal troops or national guardsman who had been federalized.
Bill Curtis: Who are these guys?
Paul Rosenzweig: These guys were law enforcement officers, sworn law enforcement officers who exercised federal law enforcement authority. The most militarized of which, the ones you saw in the camouflage with the night goggles and the really heavy armons were a group known as BORTAC. BORTAC stands for Border Tactical Unit. The Border Tactical Unit was created probably 15, 20 years ago in response to the increasingly dangerous arms being used by drug cartels on the Southwest border. The typical border patrol agent has a revolver, maybe a rifle, right? And he was turning out to be facing a bunch of cartel guys with AK- 47, machine guns, all sorts of armaments that... He was outgunned. So BORTAC was essentially a quasar militarized law enforcement agency that was created for the very purpose of being armed to equate themselves to the drug cartels. And their training was for low grade combat that was not quite war, but it was a lot more than arresting mules, druggies on the border. It certainly was never any training for dealing with protesters who were exercising their rights to protest and or engaging in illegal civil disobedience involving threats to federal property. That was not part of their training. Most of the people, almost all of the people that they interacted with were non- Americans who we could talk a long time about the difference in the legal rights of non- Americans and Americans. And it's very detailed, but suffice it to say that non- Americans illegally entering the United States have a lot less due process protection, broadly speaking, that's a generalization I know, but that's okay.
Bill Curtis: It didn't seem like the protestors in Portland had a whole lot of civil rights protection. They were held for quite a while in a parking lot without having their rights handed to them.
Paul Rosenzweig: That's exactly right. The BORTAC units that we saw on video were not very experienced in operating in situations where the threats to them were less. Their protesters not armed with machine guns, right. And where the people they were interacting with were people who brought with them a bucket of rights, First Amendment rights mostly that had some value here. I mean, that's not to defend them all of them, there were lots of people in Portland who were... Not to defend them, all of them. There were lots of people in Portland, who were throwing Molotov cocktails, and they deserved a more of-
Bill Curtis: Direct approach.
Paul Rosenzweig: Fueled response. By all reports, those were a minority within the larger group, so in some ways, this actually recapitulates the discussion we had earlier about picking Ed Larson and Mohamed Attar out from a group, that has Jane Albrecht in it, right. It's really the same problem, in a different context, and these guys were not trained to do that, and so they just lumped Jane right in there with the Jane, being in this case, my metaphor for the Portland moms.
Bill Curtis: So-
Paul Rosenzweig: And-
Bill Curtis: Why was this group chosen for this task of protecting the federal properties in Portland?
Paul Rosenzweig: That's a truly excellent question, to which we don't have an answer yet, for which I would advocate Congress seeking an answer.
Bill Curtis: Take a stab at it, Paul.
Jane Albrecht: I'll take a stab at it, if you want. I think, generally, it's fairly clear that Trump tried to use the military in Washington to put down protests, and the military rebelled as much as military can rebel, and said, " That's not our job and we won't do it." As you know, he was strongly rebuked and paid a political price. So he wanted to, essentially try to do the same thing and the Department of Homeland Security, if I'm correct, has more law enforcement resources at its disposal than any other agency, and he's got a lot more power over that, particularly if he has an appointee, who's sympathetic to them, but basically he couldn't use the military, so he grabbed these law enforcement officers to do the same thing.
Bill Curtis: But can the federal government deploy troops to a place where the local governors don't want the help?
Jane Albrecht: I would say, no. My argument would be no. Ed ?
Ed Larson: Well, historically they certainly can and have, when it's the-
Jane Albrecht: Right.
Ed Larson: Defense and protection of federal law, not domestic law-
Jane Albrecht: Correct.
Ed Larson: But federal law. And so when you have federal law, I mean the Southern Governors didn't want troops there and Reconstruction, but they were defending federal law. Certainly George Wallace didn't want the troops defending the desegregation of The University of Alabama, or the Governor of Arkansas didn't want Eisenhower to send federalized National Guard in to desegregate Little Rock schools. But since it was federal law, or in some of those cases, federal Court Orders, the federal government has the power to do it and so that raised the question first that was raised up, " Okay, where they defending federal property?" There's a law saying the federal government can defend federal property.
Bill Curtis: (crosstalk) Sounds like Paul is saying that they might have been, they went much farther than that while they were there.
Ed Larson: Well, that's where the questions. And I agree with Paul on both of the points he was making on that. First, if they were pushing out far beyond the courthouse itself, to rough up people that weren't threatening the courthouse. And second, the types of troops they enforced, they were not army. Absolutely. They were not technically federal troops or nationalized, Oregon National Guard, they were other groups. But the Border Patrol has a long history, that goes way back a hundred years of being really rough at the border, really rough. And so you take those people who work out in the desert, with a history of what we would view as, questionable activities, that only a rogue police department would engage in, and then throw them into a setting, which they weren't trained to do with the equipment that was designed for other uses, as Paul describes it. You have a recipe for really troubling activities.
Bill Curtis: But you know what? That's really interesting Ed, because here we are, we're looking for a view from the middle. So, I think what I'm hearing is, it's reasonable to think that the federal government could want to protect federal property while people are tossing Molotov cocktails and shouldn't be. The problem, could very well be just a management problem, not actually a conceptual problem where maybe it's reasonable to protect federal property, but the management of a group of people who were likely Trump's only solution. It was very difficult and resulted in a whole lot of video that we've all watched and-
Paul Rosenzweig: Wow, I really got a finger up here-
Jane Albrecht: Okay. Let me, let me clarify my-
Bill Curtis: Paul, how about you go first?
Jane Albrecht: Yeah.
Paul Rosenzweig: Jane wants to clarify first, go ahead Jane.
Jane Albrecht: I do not believe it was legal, to send federal law enforcement officers in, to enforce state or local law. Yes, they have the right to protect federal property. But if I was the Governor of Oregon, I would have ordered the federal troops out and I would have used the state, my state troops over which I have authority. I would have surrounded the federal building and said, " You take one step off of federal property. You've got a problem with us."
Bill Curtis: Okay. I didn't. And Jane, I would expect you to have that position. So Paul, let's get you a point of view.
Paul Rosenzweig: That's a great, we actually game- played that out Jane, at a little (inaudible) I was doing with people. And the obvious response is for President Trump to nationalize the Oregon National Guard now, put them under his control and order them to disperse. And apparently, there's no authority for a Governor to refuse a nationalization order like that. So yeah, we've been having-
Jane Albrecht: But, I'm not talking about the state National Guard. I'm talking about the state highway patrol.
Paul Rosenzweig: Ah, well then, then we would have had a shootout at the O. K. Corral.
Jane Albrecht: And I think Trump would have backed down because (crosstalk) the state versus federal, it would have played so badly in red states.
Bill Curtis: (crosstalk) But conceptually, if this is federal property, people shouldn't ought to be throwing Molotov cocktail, and try to destroy federal property. And perhaps the reasonableness of the response, is greater than any of us feel is appropriate, but a response could very well be appropriate.
Paul Rosenzweig: That's fair. I mean, had President Trump brought in other members of the Federal Protective Service, which is the group that is responsible for protecting federal property, Federal Protective Service, had he brought... And those people are trained, both to protect federal property, and to deal with American citizens, because all federal property or not all, but most of our property is on American soil. Had he brought them in to Portland, from Nashville or Atlanta or Big Sky, Montana or LA, probably they would have responded better. They would have not pushed their perimeter out. They would not have engaged in activity that seem to be purporting to enforce state and local law, which is beyond their remit. And they probably wouldn't have wound up, as it seems to be the case, serially violating people's Civil Rights. I think truthfully, this is yet another example of the biggest paradigmatic problem that Trump has shown a light on, which is to say that all of the structures of American law involve broad rules and executive discretion to ignore, violate, extend, modify those laws. Whether it's tariffs on steel or emergency funding to build a military facility or moving people to defend federal property in Portland. The problem with all those, is that we rely upon the good judgment and probity and discretion of the President to exercise that authority normally. That he won't call Canada a terror threat, that he won't take the money to build a wall that Congress has twice rejected. And that he won't take that, instead of taking the Federal Protective Services. He won't take [inaudible 00: 08: 59].
Bill Curtis: Ed?
Ed Larson: Historically the agency that he would have picked on, if you go all the way back 150 years, it would have been the Federal Marshals and the Federal Marshals are probably strong enough to have, if sufficiently deployed from around the nation, to defend the courthouse. They were, who were used in bleeding Kansas, which was sort of a state federal issue. I mean, they've been used for all these years and it goes back and let me just reinforce what Paul said. You can go back to the actual debates when they wrote the constitution in Philadelphia. And you had people like Benjamin Franklin and Governor Randolph of Virginia who offered the original Virginia plan and George Mason and the future Vice President of the United States, Jerry from Massachusetts. And they all said, " We've given too much arguable power to the President." Now, this will only work, you will only keep a Republic if your President has virtue and Republican virtue. And that's why Franklin went along. He made a famous last speech, he said, " This can be abused." They had in mind, somebody like a Patrick Henry or later on, an Aaron Burr, who would have been a living example of overusing this possible power. It's there, it's arguably constitutional. But, if you have somebody as Franklin used, the example of George Washington, this'll work. But there's this risk here, of the checks and balances being disrupted by a President who pushes the limit of their power. And so, that's why we have the stories of people like Eisenhower or Roosevelt or Washington, of course, recognizing how you have to practice as President, if you push all the limits, what you can arguably do. And then if you can arguably do it, who can stop you, it takes forever to get an issue through the courts. Who is stopping you?
Bill Curtis: So let me ask you a question, Ed, and actually Paul as well with what you just said before. I'm jumping ahead and I realized that this is probably a whole show in itself, and we don't have time for it. What happened to constitutional checks and balances? Where is everybody? You know, I know there are groups like the Lincoln Project but how is it that virtually no Republican seemed to be concerned with checks and balances?
Paul Rosenzweig: That's a great question. Probably a historian like Ed can give you the long answer of it. I-
Bill Curtis: Certainly Ed can give me the answer of it.
Paul Rosenzweig: Yeah. Sorry, Ed. From my perspective, you've identified the approximate cause, which is that members in Congress see themselves, less as advocates for the institution and its role, and more as advocates for the Party and as defenders of their party, if that happens to be the party in power-
Bill Curtis: Don't they realize that if they give the President too much power that, next time it might be a Democratic President?
Paul Rosenzweig: It used to be the case, that that was the case, that people, as recently as Robert Byrd, the Senator from West Virginia, who was pretty famous in trying to want to call Bill Clinton to account, for a number of things including his affair with Monica Lewinsky. But, saying that the Senate has a role, he didn't care about the house very much, but that was unique and different in protecting these things. I would say that a lot of this, has eroded over a long history of time. Of one example and I don't know if other people will agree, but one example that I think of is, we all thought that having popularly elected Senators was a good thing, but actually it turns out making them less independent, and more responsive to populism and so they no longer stand as a bulwark. And that's happened over the last 100 years, since the Amendment changed that, it's a slow process. We thought that courts, up until the 1950s, people who were nominated to courts never appeared for hearings, right? They didn't come and defend their political philosophy. The only question was, are they experienced enough to do the job? Yes. They get the job. Now you have to, I mean, Josh Holly just said, " I'm not going to allow anybody on court who doesn't vote, promise to vote against Roe versus Wade." And we've tried, we're slowly transforming them into a political, just a baby legislature. If we don't recover it, that way lies inevitable politicization of everything.
Bill Curtis: Of course, not too long ago, you were on CNN and you were talking about the idea of Presidential power and how possibly even Bill Barr, our Attorney General believes that the authority of the President is total. You apparently felt very differently about it. And you felt differently about Bill Barr's powers and function as well. Do you want to describe that a little here?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, yeah. I mean, let me restart that, the Department of Justice is headed by a political appointee and that political appointee necessarily gets the right to set priorities for the Department of Justice. The Obama administration can decide, it's going to put more resources into enforcing Civil Rights, and anti- gun legislation. And the Bush administration before that, decides that it wants to focus on counter narcotics and counter terrorism. That's what political people get to do. What they don't get to do, is determine that the Department of Justice will essentially serve as the handmaiden for the elected President, enforcing his political desires and moving to support his political agenda for re- election.
Bill Curtis: (crosstalk) Could that not happen? He serves at the pleasure of the President.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, traditionally it has not. I mean, to greater or lesser degree, we've had bad Attorneys General like John Mitchell, who went to jail for doing that exact thing, right?
Bill Curtis: That's interesting.
Paul Rosenzweig: But mostly there's been a a strong norm against political interference in the day to day operations of the Department of Justice. Stu Gerson, who I know from his time when he was assistant Attorney General and then acting Attorney General in the Bush and Reagan era, tells this wonderful story about how one day he was called in by the political guy, about somebody who pulled some political strings and gotten a meeting. And the political guy said, " Tell me about this case?" And Stewart explained it to him and said, " This is a righteous case." And the fellow said, " That's all I need to hear. Go ahead, go do what's right." And that's the end of it. Right? Yeah, the political appointee asks a question, gets an answer and that's it, right? The White House does not call down and say, " I want you to start an investigation of Amazon, because I hate Jeff Bezos because he owns the Washington Post." The President does not get to pick up the phone and call the Attorney General and say, " We need an investigation into the origins of the investigation of my campaign, so that I have an October surprise to play." He does not-
Bill Curtis: But he apparently can call the Attorney General if he wants to take a walk over to a local church and hold up a Bible.
Paul Rosenzweig: Exactly. I mean, this is fundamental to the idea of blind justice. It's the idea, that there are and ought to be Firewalls, but against political interference in the normal course of Department of Justice activity. Of course, it's not perfect. That's leaked all the time in the past, it happens. But when it happens in the past, we all yell and scream and said, " This is terrible."
Jane Albrecht: It's an obstruction of justice.
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes. Today we're saying, " Go for it."
Jane Albrecht: What Paul's talking about, with the normal operation is he's talking about, it's not legal, permissible or acceptable for the President to interfere with the actual ongoing criminal investigation. And that's what's been happening here. And he has been using it to prosecute his political enemies or try to do so, and free his friends with, the Michael Flynn investigation and the Roger Stone, being two of the most outrageous examples.
Bill Curtis: That's great example. Ed's got his finger up though.
Ed Larson: And a related issue I would just add to that is, with the current Attorney General, he has a view, an ideological view that goes way back, about the power a President should have. To me, it strikes me like a medieval King, a pre- Vatican to medieval King, and that's what his beliefs are, it seems to be. And I don't think it accords with the historical view of the power that should be as a President. We have historically, Congress should have the highest power and the President execute the law. That's what I think the founders had in mind. But if that's not the way the Attorney General believes. And if the Attorney General believes that the President has basically the Divine right of Kings, then that Attorney General is more willing to carry out whatever those powers are, and it's that policy that we serve the President. It's different than the way another Attorney General who would be trying to, " Okay, the President sets the basic policy viewpoints, but still the President's operating within his power or her power to execute the laws of Congress." Now you get the example, just to give an example, " The Congress debates and debates, and decides how much money it's going to give to build the wall. The president signs it and then he turns around and issues an Executive Order taking money appropriated for an entirely different purpose, to build his wall." Well, maybe you can say that's arguably constitutional. Maybe Bill Barr thinks the President should have that power, but I believe it flies in the face of the checks and balances that were designed, where-
Bill Curtis: That leads us to our question Ed, " Why do we appear to have no checks and balances?
Jane Albrecht: I'd say, Ed is being too kind. In the case of Bill Barr, I think Bill Barr is behaving as the perfect conciliary to a Mafia boss. He's not above lying and he's not above doing whatever it calls. I'm actually a moderate person, I'm actually not such a radical partisan there [crosstalk 01:10:48].
Bill Curtis: You know Jane, we have had vice Presidents before, that will go unnamed Chaney, who used to run absolutely everything, everywhere. So there have been unprecedented situations before.
Jane Albrecht: There's power, there's people in positions of power, but that's not what I'm talking about with what Bill Barr does.
Paul Rosenzweig: Okay, I want to continue this conversation. We take a 32 second break. I've got to go close some windows, because the rain is blowing in.
Bill Curtis: We can, I was about to, and if you'd let me just do that real quick. Okay. Let's put a pin in that right there. Take another quick break. We'll be back with Paul Rosenzweig in just a minute.
Paul Rosenzweig: I'll be back in a minute. I got to close a couple of windows.
Ed Larson: You Jane, you're just tougher than I am.
Jane Albrecht: Sorry for interjecting that. I said you're too kind [crosstalk 01:11:28].
Bill Curtis: She's just angrier than you are, Ed.
Jane Albrecht: That's not angry.
Ed Larson: Sounds like Mike Thomas.
Jane Albrecht: This has not to do with Republican or Democrat. This has to do-
Bill Curtis: Of course it does.
Jane Albrecht: What I consider to be illegal behavior by an Attorney General. I think he's at least as bad as Mitchell.
Bill Curtis: Oh, what Mitchell did by comparison is child's play.
Ed Larson: But he's a lot smarter and he's a lot cleverer. And there you had the Republicans in Congress, many of them bite back and say like, Goldwater, this, " You just can't do this."
Jane Albrecht: Well. And what's the problem there is-
Ed Larson: That were such a partisan government that except for maybe Mitt Romney and maybe occasionally the good Senator from Alaska, they all just roll over and, you might have Collins of Maine saying, " Well, they'll learn their lesson and they won't do it again. And I talked to them," but nobody really standing up.
Jane Albrecht: Yeah. I mean, this really does come back to having a Senate. That's just a lapdog to a President who has done the longest list of impeachable offenses that I can ever imagine. Except, he hasn't shot anybody on Fifth Avenue yet.
Bill Curtis: Well, he promised to, we just weren't listening.
Jane Albrecht: Exactly.
Bill Curtis: Mike, I'm sorry that I've got a bolt of light coming in at me. I don't know if I can do anything about it.
Ed Larson: No, you look like an angel with angelic light tone.
Jane Albrecht: If you could just get the light to be behind you, you'd have like a halo.
Paul Rosenzweig: If you want to see what it looks like now.
Jane Albrecht: Yeah.
Paul Rosenzweig: It's (crosstalk) pelting down.
Bill Curtis: Next time we have one of these Paul, I think you should do it from that jacuzzi.
Paul Rosenzweig: In the normal course I do a lot of my meeting outdoors, but I saw the rain coming in, and if I were out there right now, I'd be, well I'd be wet.
Bill Curtis: Paul, do you have another 15 minutes?
Paul Rosenzweig: I do, and I'd be delighted to share them with you. If I don't put down the screen, the rain screen, the house is built to be outside in and the entire house gets-
Bill Curtis: Oh, I understand. Do you want to go do that now?
Paul Rosenzweig: Or that's why I just did, see?
Bill Curtis: Okay. Oh, you went out and you're all wet.
Paul Rosenzweig: Yeah. Well a little.
Bill Curtis: You know, not a figuratively what you're saying is all wet, but you personally are all wet.
Paul Rosenzweig: Indeed, but I'm yours now. (crosstalk) One more second.
Jane Albrecht: Okay. I will note Bill that Paul said he agreed with me about Barr. It wasn't so angry.
Bill Curtis: That's true.
Jane Albrecht: I just said we were just talking while you were gone about Barr. I said, please note that Paul agreed with me for the most part about Barr. It's not such an angry comment. It's a comment of a lawyer who understands.
Paul Rosenzweig: Yeah.
Jane Albrecht: What the limits should be to be the Attorney General.
Paul Rosenzweig: No, I think the Attorney General... Ask me about the ethics complaint against the Attorney General when we restart.
Jane Albrecht: Okay. I didn't realize there was one.
Bill Curtis: (crosstalk) Actually Jane why don't you ask the question.
Jane Albrecht: No, you go ahead and, Bill.
Bill Curtis: I don't know enough about it to form a good question.
Paul Rosenzweig: Just say you understand there was an ethics complaint filed against the Attorney General. What is that all about?
Bill Curtis: Okay.
Paul Rosenzweig: Now you'll and then you'll know, because I'll tell you.
Bill Curtis: We're back with Paul Rosen-
Paul Rosenzweig: And then you'll know because I'll tell you.
Bill Curtis: We're back with Paul Rosenzweig talking Homeland Security and a few other things now. Paul, what was the ethics complaint against the... sorry. Ethics complaint against.
Paul Rosenzweig: Attorney General Barr.
Jane Albrecht: Bill Barr.
Bill Curtis: Paul, what was the ethics complaint against Bill Barr?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well actually, an interesting recent development, 27 lawyers, including several former heads of the DC Bar and former ethics lawyers for the DC Bar Association filed an ethics complaint with the DC Bar, arguing that Bill Barr should be disciplined. And the reason they argued he should be disciplined was not because of political disagreements about his views, about the president's authority, because that's not a ground for discipline. What they argued was, that he had systematically lied to the American public about matters relating to his activities, and that those lies made him untrustworthy and therefore unfit to continue to have a law license. They specified that he lied about the contents of Mueller's Report about President Trump's activities, that he lied about an inspector, the contents of an inspector general report about the FBI's investigation of President Trump. That he lied about his actions in Lafayette Square. So they just laid out point by point, and it's not like a two page thing. It's 27, 28 pages with footnotes and facts, kind of demonstrating all the different ways in which he lied to the American public, and thus calling into question his fitness to continue to be a lawyer much less his [crosstalk 01:16:53].
Bill Curtis: So what happened with all of this? I mean, he testified not too long ago in front of Congress and mentioned a number of those things that you just touched on. It still seems like nothing has happened discipline- wise.
Ed Larson: Paul, was he under oath when he testified before Congress?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes. The things that he repeated under oath before Congress, are potentially fit subjects for a perjury investigation. I mean, it won't happen, in part because the perjury investigation will be conducted by the same Department of Justice that he runs right now. Which is why another really interesting fundamental Meet Me in the Middle type topic is how do we find an independent way to monitor the executive that is effective. Congress has failed on its authority. As Ed said, judicial process takes way too long, right? And independent counsel laws have been struck down, have been eliminated. So where does an American go for some independent check. Quis custodes custodiet, who will watch the watchman?
Bill Curtis: I've had discussions with Ed and Jane over the last year during this show. My frustration with the concept of checks and balances, but it seems that they really don't exist. Nobody is exercising them, and as a result, maybe they were badly formed, badly conceived.
Paul Rosenzweig: I would disagree. I mean, for many, many years, Congress was quite effective in oversight. As recently as the 1980s, I appeared as a witness in front of John Dingell and I swear to you, I was peeing my pants. Can I say that? Oh [crosstalk 00:03: 39].
Bill Curtis: You can say whatever you want.
Paul Rosenzweig: I was peeing in my pants out of fear.
Bill Curtis: Yeah, just don't do it, right.
Paul Rosenzweig: There were eras in which the... in the aftermath of the Civil War, in which the Speaker of the House was probably more powerful than the President of the United States. I, one of the things I do on the side is I work part time at a think tank called the R Street Institute and we have a project it's called Make Congress Great Again, yeah. And [crosstalk 01:19:14].
Bill Curtis: How is it going?
Jane Albrecht: I agree with Bill that I think the concept of checks and balances is a very good idea. One of my greatest concerns right now is not the strength of the fourth estate, but the true independence of the judiciary. And while, for example, the Federalist Society, there's nothing wrong in them promoting judges that are good jurists and have a certain attitude towards legislative construction. But I'm really getting worried, particularly with this administration that they're appointing too many judges that'll just rule the right way regardless of the facts before them. And that if we lose the independence of our judiciary, and of course it also takes, it also means that they're not going to exercise their oversight over the executive branch. And that's also a problem.
Bill Curtis: Ed.
Ed Larson: I think part of this problem that Paul's talking about and Jane is underscoring simply comes from simply partisanship. That if we turn out, instead of having a institutional government, a government, which Madison and Hamilton and Franklin thought they were creating, where institutions would protect their own independence. And Paul adds to that when you made the Senate answerable to the states and the states appointing it rather than elected by the people, that was part of those institutional protections. Now, if you change to everything, it's just tied to partisanship. So you have partisan judges, you have partisan senators. And instead of following their institutional biases and norms defending their own and therefore fighting against each other for power, the Senate fighting with the House, and the Senate and the House fighting with the president, and the courts sort of being independent empires. If they all just follow what partisan, and I liked the point Jane made, because you can have judges picked for ideological purpose. Like you pick ones that care a lot about abortion rights or right to life. That's one thing, but that's not a partisan issue. If they're just going to follow a partisan line and then the president sets the partisan tone and suddenly senators will just ask how high they're supposed to jump. Not the like people like you were mentioning, Burt of West Virginia or Mitt Romney, trying to make an institutional decision or their own judgment as senators used to do or congresspeople. Then if you get everything aligned politically, if you get the judges dominated by one party's judges and both houses of Congress is dominated by the same ones and they obey partisan rules, well, then you have the recipe for a president having a powers like the president of Turkey now has, or the president of Brazil. Authoritarian powers, and that flies in the face of this idea of institutional checks and balances.
Jane Albrecht: But Ed, I would even take issue with you on the ideological issues, whether it be abortion or something else. If you have a judge appointed who promises to rule a certain way, one way or the other, and they know that's the price of their getting an appointment, you've got a judge predisposed to decide a case, not on the facts before them and the law, but on ideological principles. It's even worse when it comes to oversight of the executive branch and there, they won't do it. And I'll say it, with Kavanaugh, I think he's a good jurist in many respects, but he was also shown to be intensely partisan. And I say that in an... from a nonpartisan perspective.
Bill Curtis: But he's actually shown up, hasn't he Jane?
Jane Albrecht: I'm not sure, I'm not sure because if, let's.
Bill Curtis: No, no. Look at the last huge... the last few cases that have gone by, I bet he surprised you pretty good.
Jane Albrecht: Not entirely, no. And what really worries me is when the election coming up, that there's challenges to the election, Kavanaugh knows that he is intensely indebted to Trump for going to extraordinary lengths to back him to get him that seat on the thing [crosstalk 01:23:23].
Bill Curtis: Well, I'm glad you bring this up, Jane, because as we wrap this up, and by the way, I think this is turning into two shows. And Paul, I thank you for all your time, but-
Paul Rosenzweig: My pleasure.
Bill Curtis: ... I can't help but bring up the 800- pound elephant in the room. So got to go back to speaking about Homeland Security. Would the safety and security of an election, be something that depart... Would the safety insecurity of an election, be something that the Department of Homeland Security would look into?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yes. They're spending a fair amount of effort into it now, which I'll talk about in just a second. I would say that the biggest problem for DHS right now in doing that is that there isn't any interest in the safety and security of the election at higher levels, which is to say that the people at [crosstalk 01:24:19].
Bill Curtis: The higher levels seem to want to delay it until, I don't know, four years from now?
Paul Rosenzweig: I'm trying to be polite, but the truth of the matter is that in government, people focus, and the things that the president and the Secretary of Homeland Security want done get the most attention. And right now election security is not on that list.
Bill Curtis: Was it while you were there?
Paul Rosenzweig: That would have been before we realized it was a problem. So I would have said the answer is no. Because in 2008, 2009, 2010, nobody would have thought of this as a real issue. And we were just beginning to figure out that cybersecurity was an issue and we hadn't broadened it to information security in the social media space. And we certainly hadn't broadened it to the physical security of the electronic ballots. In fact, our main effort was the opposite, was to get people to use electronic ballots because our most recent experience was the hanging chads and pieces of paper in Florida that we thought sucked. And we thought, oh, electronics will actually stop all this. So we rushed in where angels fear to tread. So today, the election security is a major focus of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which is a component of DHS. And they're thinking both about information security and combating disinformation, and also about the electronic security of the actual machines themselves. They need more money. They need more attention. The people who are doing it are doing their best jobs, because they are actually really good civil servants who really care about this. But above a certain level, there is an I don't care, they're focused on protecting Portland or the border or whatever. And President Trump is actually sort of undermining their efforts a bit. So [crosstalk 00:11: 09].
Bill Curtis: So in your role as an officer of these security companies, help me understand something. Isn't it more possible that there could be corruption and hacking of electronic voting than even the mailing?
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, that's a great question. I have a whole 30- minute lecture on it. If you want, you can go to Teaching Company: They're Hacking The Election. Oh, it's free on YouTube, you don't even have to pay for it. But, the answer is this, the risks to the electronic systems of voting are real. That's why every scientist, every person who's looked at like the National Academy of Sciences recommend systems that have paper ballot backups, right? And they also recommend something called risk limiting audits, which is to say, we take a sample of those paper ballots and we compare it to the reported result. And if they align, closely, statistically closely enough, we're happy. If the ballots are 56 for Biden and 44 for Trump and the paper ballots coming 55, 45, we're happy. If the paper ballot is coming 55, 45, Trump beating Biden, we know that something went wrong and somebody played with it, played games with it. Everybody believes that that's the case. The other thing that really needs a lot more securing is the pre- election process. The single most vulnerable thing that's out there right now, our state registration databases, where voting IDs are collected. And if hypothetically, the voting database in North Carolina were degraded tomorrow, right? Or destroyed tomorrow, the election officials in North Carolina simply would not have time to recreate it. I mean, no matter how much they wanted to, they wouldn't be able to. And they are desperately underfunded to the tune that I wrote a report with some others to the tune of hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars. And that's why more election funding is one of the red lines the Nancy Pelosi has in the current negotiations.
Bill Curtis: So, apparently the state of Washington and Montana have had tremendous success with mail- in ballots. Georgia, on the other hand, forgive me, screwed the pooch. What is your opinion in your industry, looking at the type of security that we need to have faith in the election of the whole country, having a successful and secure election during a pandemic.
Paul Rosenzweig: I have a high degree of confidence in the overall independence and well- meaning of state and local election officials. It's not universal, but in (Agalaga) County, Mississippi, the head of the Board of Elections there is just as interested in doing it right as anybody else in the nation. They are under extreme pressure. George's failure was not... was maybe partially a political failure, but mostly it was the fact that they went from 40,000 to 1. 25 million mail- in ballots, in a two year period. And I don't care how good you are, no government can choke down that kind of change at that time scale. Montana, Washington, they've been doing it. Washington has been doing it since 2000, I think, or Oregon in 2000 watching [ crosstalk 00:01:29:58].
Bill Curtis: Can't we just go to school on those states?
Paul Rosenzweig: Yeah, we can. We should have started six, eight, 12 months ago. It's very [ crosstalk 01:30:09].
Jane Albrecht: Oh, so how is.
Bill Curtis: So is there justification to say, we're not ready.
Paul Rosenzweig: No. Postponing the election would be the worst thing in the world. I mean, not to quote Donald Rumsfeld, but you go to war with the army you have, right? Not the one you wish you have.
Jane Albrecht: Paul, how does DHS help with the elections? I know, not the cyber, checking for cyber threats, but since the elections are the providence of the states, how would DHS get involved with the elect... with voting machines, for example.
Paul Rosenzweig: DHS, that's a great question. DHS in coordination with a small commission known as the Election Administration Commission, the EAC. I may have that wrong because it's a three letter acronym, right? They do a lot of best practices stuff. So they tell people best ways to secure voting. For example, one of the things that DHS has done in the last four years is talk about the physical security of machines. Four years ago, machines were probably stored in warehouses, behind shingling fences with nobody giving a fig's worth to stopping you or me from breaking in and messing with them. Today, much better. They talk about things like verified identity on the network, so that the Twitter account for the California Secretary of State needs to have a little blue check mark next to it, right?
Jane Albrecht: So if Congress, if.
Ed Larson: Wait, wait, wait, just a second, Jane.
Jane Albrecht: Go ahead, yeah.
Ed Larson: Historically, we've held elections in very difficult times. In the middle of the Civil War, we were delivering ballots to the battlefields. In the middle of the Second World War, states were having to deliver ballots to the middle of the battlefields in the Pacific islands and in Europe for hundreds of thousands of troops. In the middle of the pandemic, the much worse pandemic than we're facing today, in 1918, we conducted elections that changed that the House and the Senate dramatically and undercut the power of the president, President Wilson. Now, all those cases, there were problems. There was a tremendous cut in voting, trying to vote in the middle of a pandemic. Yes, there were problems. There were problems in the Civil War. There were problems in the revolutionary war. But if you look at what's the most fundamental right in America. Oh, sure. Freedom of religion, freedom of speech, property rights are all important. But if you ask all the founders, what is the foundation of a Republican government? It's free and fair elections. And we do the best we can. And we have them. Oh, in England, they put them off during the Second World War, we don't. The constitution mandates them, and if we don't go through with them, well, our constitutional democracy is finished.
Bill Curtis: Ed. I'm pretty sure I heard a choir behind you while you were saying that as well. Jane, let me ask you this last question on this subject. Why is it assumed that the potential corruption of mailed- in ballots would be an advantage for the Democrats?
Jane Albrecht: I actually I'm one Democrat who is not so sanguine that mail- in ballots are necessarily a benefit to the Democrats. And that's because to the challenge... The challenge with democratic, getting Democrats elected is getting out the vote. When voter turnout is higher, generally Democrats win. With, normally getting out the votes is a process of getting a person on a particular date or particular 10 days to show up once at an election location. And if they need help for that, you can knock on doors and drive people. With the mail- in ballots, you have to ensure essentially that three or four things are going to happen. One, if they need to request them, if they're in a state where they need to request it, that they make the request and do it on time. Secondly, you have to ensure that they actually get the ballot. Things do get lost in the mail. Third, you've got to be sure that they are comfortable filling out the ballot and fourth, you've got to be sure that they mail it. So to me, it's a mixed blessing. Maybe you're getting ballots to more people, but actually getting them to getting those votes in, I think, is a bigger challenge. And that's just my personal view, it's not the view of.
Bill Curtis: Paul, how about you? Is your role of keeping our country secure? And it sounds like you're comfortable with the idea of largely mailing ballots for this election and how Ed so eloquently just brought us to the point where clearly we should have an election. Tell us why Trump believes that mail- in ballots will be bad for him.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, you're asking me to speculate as to the thinking of a man whom I don't understand very well. That's putting it politely. I have been given to understand that he thinks that higher turnout is bad and that the more people vote, the more Democrats will vote and that it will differentially impact him. Like Jane, I actually think that the evidence of that is weak and quite possibly wrong. In many places like Florida, where aged people vote, we've seen lots of seniors who like to vote, which it probably explains why Trump said yesterday, mail- in balloting Florida was great, but not in Nevada. So I think it's just his reptilian little brain thinking, win- loss. The truth of the matter is that there are risks in mail- in balloting. And there are risks in in- person balloting of fraud. There are risks... Both of those, I should add by the way, hail in comparison to internet balloting, which I am deeply and vigorously against because we can't secure the ballot that way. That's what actual governance is. It's not Trump being, do what I want because I win that way, it's assessing comparative risks and by and large, the comparative risks of mail- in balloting are a little less or comparable to in- person balloting. And every piece of evidence we have for the last 30, 40 years says that. So, in a risk management scenario, I say do both, especially when you layer on top, pandemic, because I don't think anybody should have to risk dying to exercise their fundamental ballot right.
Jane Albrecht: Absolutely, I agree.
Bill Curtis: Ed, do you want to bring this home?
Ed Larson: Yeah. Historically, as Paul's noted, historically, mail- in balloting has actually helped the Republican Party, because the elderly and foreign troops, soldiers overseas, were the main users of mail- in ballots. And they vote, tend to vote more Republican. Trump, of course, there's a possibility that this year will be different because of a pandemic and other people where you've brought out to vote. We don't know if that's the case. Now, what he could be doing is not really deep down, have any question about mail ballots at all. He just may be wanting to sow doubts about the outcome of the election that then he'll use after it happens. And the easy target for him to do is what's changed about this election. Well, it's going to be more mailing. And therefore, if the goal is not a question about mail- in ballots, per se, but just simply wanting to sow doubts about the election, and I don't think President Trump is beyond just doing that, then he looks at whatever the change will be. And so he picks on mail- in ballots.
Bill Curtis: Well, let's put a pin in it there. Paul Rosenzweig, I hope you will come back and join us again, you've been fabulous, and I really appreciate it. And Jane Albrecht, and of course, Ed Larson, you round out our group wonderfully. And Paul, tell our listeners how they can follow you if they want to keep up with your philosophies.
Paul Rosenzweig: Well, great. I'm on Twitter as @ RosenzweigP , R- O- S- E- N- Z- W- E- I- G, and then initial P. I sometimes write at the Lawfare blog, which is a blog about national security and Homeland Security law and policy. And I also write at the R Street Institute, where most of my media appearances will eventually be clipped and put up. And I'm delighted to have been here. Thank you for having me. It was a really great and fun conversation. And I hope when this is comes out, you'll send me the links so I can put them out on those social media as well.
Bill Curtis: Absolutely. Well, this is Politics: Meet Me in the Middle . Thanks for joining.