Speaker 1: From CurtCo Media.
Wade Davis: America has always been the best of all things and the worst of all things, which is kind of its glory and its charisma. Don't get me wrong, I love the United States. I chose to become an American, I raised my girls in the United States. I found my education, my career could never have happened in a million years in Canada. There was a great line in the Irish Times that said the emotions towards America have been various since 1945, good, bad, loving, hateful, whatever, but never before has the world felt one emotion for America, and that was pity.
Bill Curtis: Wade Davis has traveled to the farthest corners of the globe. He's beautifully photographed and deeply studied societies of all kinds and he's written two dozen compelling books about it. His talent for observing people and their life drivers is simply unmatched. Now, here with a marvelous eloquence, he is casting a light on the apparent direction of America. It may be hard to hear, it certainly has been for me, but absolutely everything he will describe about our current challenge as a country and as a people is simply undeniable. So buckle in and listen to this remarkable man, but as you do, make a conscious choice, because it is our reaction to these revelations that can set a tone for our future. We can get angry, we can deny, we can accept his view as inevitable and lazily go back to posting nonsense on our TikTok accounts, or we can do the hard thing, we can change our future. Maybe, just maybe, Wade's comprehensive catalog of America's ills can be a wake- up call to you and to me. We can take each of his observations and we can do the work, open our hearts, take some responsibility for the lives of our neighbors, nurture our workforces and have gratitude for our coworkers. But I have a theory, it's a wild one, but it just may be true. Wade Davis is actually the reincarnation of Charles Dickens and his Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come as he darkly displays to a scared and broken Scrooge all of his sins and his terrible fate. While Wade Davis catalogs our sins and points us to our sad and terrible fate, ask yourself is it really inevitable or is it possible that he's doing us a great favor? Is there still time, like with Ebeneezer? Can we change our future and save ourselves, our country, and what we've always wanted to stand for? Does Wade's revelation come to us, well, just in time? Welcome to Politics: Meet Me in the Middle. I'm Bill Curtis. Welcome to our panel. Firstly, our cohost, a Pulitzer Prize- winning historian, best- selling author, worldwide lecturer, and the widely- quoted human, historical and political encyclopedia, Professor Ed Larson. Nice to see you Zoomed in, Ed.
Ed Larson: Nice to see you too, and nice to have Wade here.
Wade Davis: Nice to meet you, Ed. Thanks very much.
Bill Curtis: Also, remotely Zooming in, Jane Albrecht. She's an international trade attorney who fought for US economic and business interests to high- level government officials all over the world. Hi, Jane. Nice to see you too.
Jane Albrecht: Delighted to be here and delighted to be with you too, Wade.
Wade Davis: Thank you very much, Jane.
Bill Curtis: And our special guest, Wade Davis, a writer, photographer, a filmmaker. After his 13 year tenure as explorer- in- residence at the National Geographic Society, he took his current post as professor of anthropology at the University of British Columbia. He has authored 22 books, all of which you must acquire. He holds degrees in anthropology, biology, a PhD from Harvard. He has been awarded 11 honorary degrees and too many awards and medals to list. You simply must visit DavisWade. com and experience, at very least, his remarkable photography. He's written so many articles, including in Rolling Stone, The Unraveling of America, which is the subject for us to explore today. Welcome, Wade. It's really an honor to have you here.
Wade Davis: Well, thanks very, very much, Bill. I think it was Forbes Magazine said anthropology was the most pointless undergraduate discipline to engage if you actually wanted to both get a job and have a role in the world. I can't think of anything sillier because anthropology is the study of us, it's a study of humanity. Its fundamental mission has been to reveal to the world the interconnectedness of humanity, which has now been reaffirmed by genetics. We know that the genetic endowment of humanity is a continuum. Race has been proven to be an utter fiction, we're all cut from the same genetic cloth.
Bill Curtis: You wrote this remarkable essay that was published in Rolling Stone, The Unraveling of America.
Wade Davis: I think the thing we have to always remember, and this piece I wrote in Rolling Stone is by no means a critique of America in a gratuitous sense, I think of it more as a kind of a love letter. If you have a family member in trouble, the first step in the successful intervention is to hold a mirror to them to show how far they've fallen and that realization becomes the first step on the path of rehabilitation, of regeneration. It's astonishing to recall what America did in the Second World War. It's not hyperbole to say that it literally saved civilization from going down a dark hole of oblivion, beyond anything in our imaginings, had that war been lost. Here's a great statistic. For every four pounds of material that the Japanese Empire of the Sun got to a frontline troop, the Americans got two tons across 13, 000 kilometers of open sea.
Bill Curtis: You're using these as comparisons to where we've come, obviously, to try to outline to us and wake us up a little bit as to how we need to reboot.
Wade Davis: America has shown through its history that it's capable of overcoming any impediment, any challenge, once it comes together in common purpose. I think the bigger point in trying to understand the issues raised in this Rolling Stone piece is to recognize that out of the disaster of the Second World War, with Europe and Asia prostrate, America inherited the mantle of world leadership. In that moment, in which 4% of the world's population generated 50% of the world's economy, making 90% of the world's automobiles, it critically allowed for a truce between labor and capital that gave us a middle class, it gave us the weekend. It gave us a time when a single breadwinner could support a wife, a family, buy a house, buy a car, and look forward to a bright future.
Bill Curtis: Jumping to today now, by comparison, you also wrote that this pandemic has had an absolutely devastating impact on the reputation and international standing of the United States of America. You said that COVID has reduced to tatters the illusion of American exceptionalism.
Wade Davis: What I mean by that is the nation that once spat out jet planes by the hour suddenly in the wake of COVID was found to not be able to even manufacture the basic needs of the frontline workers. A nation- state that had led the way in medical innovation, defeating polio and smallpox, found itself led by an individual who was advocating the use of disinfectants for the treatment of disease, that he intellectually could not understand. A nation woke up to the fact that every day 2, 000 people were dying, that one American is dying every hour of every day from a disease that we had completely missed the boat on. That's what I sort of meant in the idea that COVID revealed the challenges that American now faces today.
Bill Curtis: Not everything has been great for this country. I mean, let's be honest, we built this country on the economy of slavery. We suppressed anyone who we felt was a little different, whether racially or gender, or-
Wade Davis: I mean, America has always been the best of all things and the worst of all things, which is kind of its glory and its charisma. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the United States. I chose to become an American, I raised my girls in United States. I found my education, my career could never have happened in a million years in Canada. My father- in- law was almost us president, my son- in- law is serving as an active member of your military as we speak. None of what I'm saying is anti- American. Let me just cite one statistic. On July 30th of this summer, when America announced close to 60,000 new cases of COVID, just shy of that, the total number of COVID cases in all the hospitals in British Columbia, where I live, there were only five cases of COVID.
Bill Curtis: As an anthropologist, I've got to ask you, Wade, why is that? What was the root cause?
Wade Davis: When you politicize something as fundamental as using a mask to protect your fellow citizens from yourself, when you rush off to beaches as a political statement or to conventions, Americans sort of think that's a celebration of freedom, but it's actually a demonstration of weakness, the weakness of the people who lack the stoicism to endure the pandemic, or the fortitude to defeat it. David Frum had a great article where he gave a personal account of crossing the border into the United States and then back into Canada. He went into Maine and all he was asked is, " Do you have any booze," or these standard questions. He comes back into Canada, and of course at the US border nobody's wearing masks, you come back into Canada, my daughter just went through quarantine here, it is deadly serious. We have fines of up to three quarters of a million dollars for anyone who breaks quarantine, and jail time. My daughter came home, Bill, my wife and I were not even able to pick her up at the airport. She works for the defense department in DC and was able to bring her work home because of COVID, and then she had to present the customs people with an absolute plan as to how she was going to quarantine, where, her phone number, and the health authorities called her up to make sure she was, in fact, following the protocols. I know from anecdotal information that had she not been there to receive those phone calls, we would have gotten a visit from the police. This isn't police harassment, this is the collective needs of the society being met. That's why we had five COVID cases in British Columbia when you announced 60, 000.
Bill Curtis: But basically you're saying that under a circumstance like pandemic, the Canadian method actually brings society together with a certain amount of discipline that, no question, America lacks.
Jane Albrecht: Bill, I think what Wade is talking about is a shift in our culture that has happened since the 1950s and 1960s. Yes, America has always been about rugged individualism, but there's a balance between the individual and society that has tipped from more balanced in the '50s, '60s to very much towards it's all about me, which started in the 1980s. It's not a matter of whether Canada is disciplined and America's not, it's a view of our freedom.
Ed Larson: Jane made a very good point when she talked about how America exists in a tension, the American dream exists in a tension between community and individualism, and that's always been true.
Jane Albrecht: When you think about it, I don't think there's probably ever been a time in America where there has been more me- ism. I think me- ism is not the same as rugged individualism. When you look at our frontier, there was always rugged individualism, but when those settlers went out and settled that frontier, there was an intense understanding of you being part of a community. You needed it to survive. In World War II, there was rationing and everybody sacrificed to make all that possible.
Ed Larson: I do agree with you that we had a moment when we celebrated the world of Capra, but I just think that we have a tension. We do have a myth of community, but we also have a myth of the rugged individualism.
Jane Albrecht: This me- ism I'm talking about is not the same as rugged individualism. It is, " It's all about me. I don't want to pay for schools for anybody else's kids. I don't want to pay for healthcare for anybody else's kids. And if I'm rich, it's all because of what I did," no acknowledgement that it's related to anything else that society provides you. It's different.
Bill Curtis: Ed, the sacrifice that America took at the time of World War II, did everybody just hop on without question or was there actually some challenge at that time as well? Because I have a feeling that there's a lot less change here than some of you are describing.
Ed Larson: That's a great question, because you look back at the rising challenge of Europe, of Hitler and of fascism and of Japan, and leaders do matter. I totally agree with Wade, leaders matter. You look at the times of American crises and up pop our three greatest leaders, Washington, Lincoln, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. They took times of enormous divide. As some people say, there are better angels and there are worse devils, and pulling on those better angels has always been an enormous challenge for America.
Wade Davis: But you know, I think you're right. I mean, if you look at Washington, who famously couldn't tell a lie, the current president can't recognize the truth. That Lincoln celebrated charity toward all and malice toward none, Trump has inverted that to supporting malice towards all and charity for none. If you analyze the election of 2016, 62 million literally elected to use their precious vote to vote their indignations, personal indignation.
Ed Larson: I take a somewhat different view of the election, as Jane knows. People vote their hopes, and I don't think that Hillary Clinton gave them anything to hope for.
Wade Davis: Given that those were their motivations in 2016, and believe me, I had had trouble voting for another Clinton myself, but what I don't understand is why, given that he didn't deliver on any of those promises, are they feel so bonded to him?
Bill Curtis: Guys, I think that's a great question for when we return. We'll be back in 30 seconds.
Speaker 6: ( singing).
Speaker 7: On Medicine, We're Still Practicing, join Dr. Steven Taback and Bill Curtis, for real conversations with the medical professionals who have their finger on the pulse of healthcare in the modern world. Available on all your favorite podcasting platforms, produced by CurtCo Media.
Speaker 6: ( singing).
Bill Curtis: Okay, we're back with my co- hosts, Jane Albrecht, Ed Larson, and our special guest, Wade Davis. Wade, ask that question again, because I think that was really profound.
Wade Davis: I totally reject the idea that every Trump voter in 2016 was somebody who crawled out from beneath the stone as is portrayed in the liberal media or in the Democratic ranks, but what I don't understand is how that cohort, given that he did not deliver on a single one of those promises with the possible exception of stacking the judiciary with conservatives, why do they cling to him with such tenacity to this day?
Bill Curtis: Actually, we had a previous show here on Meet Me in the Middle with some gentlemen that I thought were really profound, who actually defined the mindset of the conservative voter. They said that the most powerful driver was fear of chaos. It's clear that they are simply trying to avoid the chaos that they feel the Democrats will bring, or at least that's what the rhetoric is.
Jane Albrecht: I do think the people who voted for Trump, a good chunk of them, were frustrated by the non- responsiveness of the system to their needs for a long time. This was basically their Hail Mary pass. What happens in 2020 will be another question.
Bill Curtis: Wade, I think that your message actually was probably well- delivered at the right time, when America, as a society, as a community, can make a decision to make a change.
Wade Davis: One of the things that's interesting, I guess, is the response to this bloody article. I mean, I did it on spec, nobody expected it to take off as it did. The responses, which kind of fall predictably into two camps, are interesting. The people who are fundamentally sympathetic with the arguments respond with, maybe predictably, deep sadness and resolve, like, " Okay, we've been woken up. Let's think about these things, let's correct these things," and I think that's wonderful. The vitriolic communications that have come my way are remarkable in their singular unwillingness to deal with any of the issues, any of the questions.
Bill Curtis: You know what, Wade? Can we just talk about your signs of progressive change for a minute, because I have a theory about one of the ills of our society that was best described by you and the reaction to your article. The reality is that once upon a time the smallest minds in America could influence the people within shouting distance. Now, social media has given them a massive megaphone, where they can react to someone like you to millions of people, and they have this massive microphone and can have a massive audience. That's one of the biggest problems with our society. That's not a change, those people have existed throughout our history. They just happen to have a platform now. What are we to do about it?
Wade Davis: Yeah, there's an incredible, as I'm sure that both Jane and Ed have seen in their own careers, the democratization of opinion, the disappearance of discretion, the anonymity of the internet allowing you to say whatever you feel like saying, and the fact that most Americans now get their news from Facebook, not from the traditional media, and the algorithms of course collect our values together into cohorts so that we never speak to anyone who doesn't already agree with us. This is the most pernicious influence of social media.
Bill Curtis: But what should we do about it, Wade? We are where we are.
Wade Davis: We have to regulate the internet. I hate to say that. You cannot have institutions as powerful as Facebook paying lip service to these issues and eliminating the odd bit of hate commentary.
Ed Larson: It used to be whether you were in a small town America or whether you were in a neighborhood in New York, social control sort of limited what you could say and what you could do because you were in a community and the community could exert control. Now, you can find your own extreme community spread out over the world. Rather than necessarily go to governmental regulation of this, federal law was passed, as you know, basically immunizing the content purveyors, be it the Facebooks or whoever of the world, from liability for what was said on their platforms. If you got rid of that law and allowed there to be liability for people injured by the content that is knowingly carried on Facebook, well, then the legal system itself would go a long way toward regulating that without having to trust some government to come in and regulate. That might be a more logical way to do it, since it was the government that gave that immunity to those content providers simply because those content providers pay great big contributions to the members of Congress, both parties, this a nonpartisan comment, to give them that immunity from liability. Now, if they were liable for the content that was spread, they might start self- regulating that content.
Wade Davis: I think that's a really good point. I mean, the minute you try to regulate through government intervention you can create political dispute and inefficiencies. When you can just simply say take away that regulation and you can liberate the thing like that, that's the way to go.
Jane Albrecht: I'm not talking about heavy regulation. I think you need a combination of two, and I think one reason Mark Zuckerberg wants it is to provide this sort of base level playing field so that if they get liability they know where that lies.
Wade Davis: You know, Bobby Kennedy is a good friend of mine. What he wrote about the fairness doctrine is so true. When the airways came along, the question was who owned them? You could own a radio station, but the airways were public domain. The fairness doctrine gave us Walter Cronkite and the idea that news was balanced.
Ed Larson: I don't know if we can really trust government to effectively regulate. That's where you're referenced to the fairness doctrine was so nice, because the government simply said you've got to have fairness, you've got to have balance. Actually, that law was designed by Herbert Hoover when he was Secretary of Commerce.
Bill Curtis: Wade, your essay at first read could feel like it's hopeless, and yet it's clearly and soberly written and therefore giving us kind of a 20/ 20 vision to look back at our mistakes and also embrace some of our triumphs that we've achieved. What should we do now with this new education and our new clarity, our new vision, especially in an election year?
Wade Davis: Well, thank you for giving me this opportunity, Bill, in general. It's been a delight to be with both Jane and ed. It's actually one of the most fun interviews I've ever done because it's-
Jane Albrecht: Oh, good.
Wade Davis: ... it's kind of fun. We're actually having a conversation. Rolling Stone actually asked me to do a follow- up, which is kind of a roadmap of hope, like what do we actually do, and one of the things we've been talking about is going out on the road and doing a kind of ethnography of America, almost like Robert Frank's The Americans. One of the things that I pride myself on is that I don't believe in enemies, only solutions to any issue. I guess this is partly the Canadian in me. I really believe in consilience and finding a way to find common ground. As an anthropologist who, especially when I had the position as being a social anthropologist of The National Geographic, I was traveling all the time and having the good fortune to spend time with not just one or two indigenous societies, but with literally scores and scores of indigenous peoples all around the world. So I like the idea of trying to reach out to all corners of America and be a conduit to common good and common ground.
Bill Curtis: In the past few years, there's been an outpouring of protests and new voices speaking up for the rights of a diverse number of Americans who have felt voiceless until now. What would a healthy leadership look like in our country today, at a time when while the economy and the climate are battered down and it certainly is a striking, challenging moment in our society, describe what the right leader could do for this country.
Wade Davis: The right leader would bring us together, who would find the better angels of our nature, as Lincoln said, who would leave no doubt whatsoever that it was time to eliminate the original sin of the Republic, which is struggles with race, who would expose to all people that race is an utter fiction, and at the same time, not allow a culture of grievance to dominate the public discourse, to create some kind of sense that to be an American is not to be oneself, but to be part of something greater than oneself and not a kind of flag drape patriotism, which is so easy to evoke, but rather something deeper than that, a true commitment and knowledge, very much as Jane said, is that the roads we drive on weren't paid for by you, the hospitals we build, the national parks that we have. There is a great grand American experiment that has always been the beacon of hope for the world, and believe me, when one of the points I make in that article is that if and when the hinge of history opens to Asia and the torch passes to China, this will not be a time to gloat. It will not be a moment to celebrate. If and when the torch of history passes into the hands of a communist party with such a contempt for democracy, such treatment of ethnicities, creating a social capital index to monitor their lives of their own citizenry, we will be very nostalgic for the best years of the American century. Let's all hope that everything I described in this article can be addressed, and let's just hope that the hint in the article that this may be the end of the American era, there is no one in the world who would rather be proved to be wrong than myself,
Bill Curtis: Wade, I'm willing to make you a bet. This election in November, America will have the greatest number of voter voices in the history of our nation, which shows that there's still an awareness, still a concern, and still a path forward for our country, because of people like you, who point out that this is the moment for which we need it. I want to thank you for being here today and I want to thank you so much for spending this time. Oh boy, I'd love to have you come back again. But first, we have a rare opportunity before we leave, because you've got a book called Magdalena: River of Dreams, which launched yesterday. It's a biography of Columbia. Give us a preview of what we can expect when we get that book.
Wade Davis: Well, Hector Abad, the great Colombian writer, called it a love letter to his nation. I think there is a parallel to what's going on in the United States and that no country was more divided at war with itself in Columbia, and yet the people have found a way to a peace, a tentative peace, a precarious peace, but peace nevertheless. Here's a country that has had a three- way civil war fueled exclusively by the proceeds of the cocaine trade. The country has nevertheless maintained democracy, civil society, greened its cities, created millions of acres of national park, and paved the way for an incredible economic renaissance as two generations of young Colombians, forced to flee, are coming back to their country. We all have a kind of obligation, because remember that the fuel of the has always been cocaine, think about this. At the height of the cartel, the Medellin cartel was budgeting a thousand dollars a week to buy elastic bands just to wrap the money in the. The war on drugs has been responsible for Columbia's agonies. Now, just think about this. How would Americans feel if Canada had patterns of drug consumption in the bars and boardrooms of our country, laws that created the mafia facilitated its wealth, and yet our enforcement did nothing to curtail the distribution of the drug, such that 85 million Americans were driven from their homes? Well, that is exactly what happened in Columbia. In that sense, it behooves us to pay attention to this country as it struggles to find its way forward. The world is falling apart, but happily, Columbia is falling together. The book is a celebration of a nation that is not a place of violence and war, but is home to the greatest biological ecological diversity on the planet.
Bill Curtis: Thank you to Wade Davis for joining us. Don't forget to follow him at DavisWade. com. Of course my co- hosts, Jane Albrecht and Ed Larson. If you're inspired by this edition of Meet Me in the Middle, please send the link to your friends and plan a Zoom discussion, perhaps over a good single malt. This is a bunch of very important subjects that are worthy of your consideration and your discussion with your friends. Also, please leave a comment about our show. Special thanks to our general manager, Stuart Halperin, for bringing Wade to us today, and our producer, Mike Thomas. Sound design by Michael Kennedy, and the music for Meet Me in the Middle is composed and performed by Celleste and Eric Dick. By the way, if you haven't listened to last's week show with economist Daron Acemoglu, a Nobel Prize- bound economist, do yourself a favor and load that one up next. Bye- bye, everybody. Don't forget to vote.
Speaker 6: ( singing).
Speaker 1: CurtCo Media, media for your mind.