Speaker 1: From Kurt Coe media. What are you gonna do about.
Speaker 2: Welcome to politics. Meet me in the middle. I'm Jane Albrecht filling in for our regular host Bill Kurtis. If the presidential campaigns have your head spinning or even worse ready to tear your hair out or if you're worried about what all this is going to lead to on election night then you've tuned into the right podcast. Today we're lucky to have with us an award winning journalist and veteran of eleven presidential campaigns.
Speaker 3: He will help us make sense of it all. We'll be talking about the dance between the presidency and the media how media coverage of presidential campaigns has changed over the years and how ratings pressures on our news outlets affects what news we get and how that news gets presented to us. We'll also talk about what you can expect on election night.
Speaker 2: So let's get started. First our co-host. Pulitzer Prize winning historian best selling author Broadway lecturer and one man encyclopedia on the history of American politics professor Ed Larson. Nice to see you Ed. Thanks Jane. And now for our special guest Walter Shapiro. Walters a fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University and a celebrated journalist.
Speaker 3: He's written for Roll Call The Guardian Washington Post Time Magazine Newsweek and USA Today. He also lectures in political science at Yale University. He is covering this presidential campaign for The New Republic. Early in his career Walter ran for Congress and later was the speechwriter for Jimmy Carter. One of the more fun things about Walter is that he performed standup comedy for many years.
Speaker 2: In 1998 the Times of London described him as one of Manhattan's leading political centrists. Welcome Walter. It's our honor and pleasure to have you with us today.
Speaker 4: Oh this could be fun. Walter you've written about our television press that it likes conflict and drama. They do so because conflict and drama gets ratings. I actually get a chuckle when I see promos for the presidential debates. They flash its candidate's face on the screen as if it were a heavyweight boxing match.
Speaker 5: Though I would love to watch Trump come in for a in.
Speaker 4: Yes that would be fun yes. So how has the evolution of the media from the first presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon to the advent of social media changed presidential campaigns and how the media covers those campaigns.
Speaker 6: Well I mean the thing that stays in my mind is that the first presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon in 1960 took place in the studios of the Chicago TV station WPP. There was no studio audience. There was no wild applause. It was just two candidates moderators questioners from the media and two lecterns and the overproduced sets that we got particularly during the primary debates are just a comic expansion of what used to be but much more importantly the whole thing is everything is a profit center. Once the media discovered politics shelves there's a reason why the publications called Politico rather than the podiatrist. I believe CNN claimed they had to make this public this is part of the sale of Time Warner media that they made an additional 1 billion dollars in unanticipated profits during 2016. Les Moonves now the different president of the company that oversees CBS said in February 2016 they say Donald Trump isn't good for America but he has been great for CBS. So I say bring it on Donald.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Ed as a historian how do you see presidential campaigns have changed since 1960.
Speaker 7: I think social media has changed presidential campaigns before in the 1960s. We had just three broadcast networks and that candidate had to go through that media. Now you have that rather than news sources like CBS or Mutual Broadcasting who tried to get as broad an audience as possible. Now you have things like MSNBC and Fox that can narrowcast to a narrow audience and therefore feed a particular viewpoint. Plus with social media you can have sub communities and with that group they can foment and foster and develop their various viewpoints and that's not really a comment to right or left. So I think the social media on top of the cable news networks and the various different new sources of information has.
Speaker 5: From a media point changed American politics since 1960 what Ed said got me thinking about something I teach a course at Yale on presidential politics the news media and we always start the course with making of the President 1960 that even 60 years later is still probably the most influential book on political campaigns ever written for the first time Theodore White revealed the machinations that got Kennedy the nomination and as a result it really changed the dominant medium of 1960 which was in TV. It was still print and for the most part it was journalism as stenography. And what happened between 1960 and the boys on the bus of 1972 and the new journalism and the breakdown of traditional journalistic mores in the 60s and 70s is we got interpretive print journalism very similar to what we have today. By the mid 70s.
Speaker 4: You know Walter has the press really come to grips particularly our television press come to grips with the role they played in the making of this president to a large extent TV now has an excuse all presidents dominate TV coverage.
Speaker 5: It was true of Ronald Reagan. It was true of Bill Clinton. It was true of Barack Obama. So when you have both the spectacle of Donald Trump combined with the reality that he's an incumbent president it is really hard for television and the media in general clean up their act. So the fact is that we are living in a dominated by Donald Trump is less a function of TV the way it was in 2016 and more the cult of the imperial presidency that has grown up since Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Isn't there an inherent conflict between ratings pressures on our news which means giving the public what they want and true journalism which requires solid reporting of the facts.
Speaker 5: Aren't they sort of at odds with each other part of it is that we have metrics that we never had before when I was a columnist for USA Today and then America's largest paper from 1995 to 2004. I assume that every person who read the paper all two or three million copies read my column eagerly. The only way USA Today could measure this at that time was to do focus groups in shopping malls and show people parts of the papers and say Do you remember reading that. But right now in a web world Oh my God the readership of your piece has dropped significantly in the last nine minutes. Let's put something else up on the home page. Let's flog something else. If not only television everybody knows exactly what the metrics are. In many newsrooms they are actually showing these pressures cannot be ignored. Maybe they explain why the news coverage in the New York Times that probably gone to the left. It is certainly more sensitive to Black Lives Matter and other issues than one would have imagined five years ago. And in the same way The Wall Street Journal is much more clipped about politics even though the news coverage of the journal is still old fashioned follow the rules. News coverage.
Speaker 4: Do you have any thoughts about this age we're in and have there been other ages where the news has been as unreliable as it can be today from various outlets where there's no fact checking and things like that.
Speaker 8: I certainly think this would be true in the early ages of the Republic at the rise of the partisan newspapers. You had a collection of highly partisan self-funded newspapers and basically every Middlesex village in town in by then 15 states and they presented the news in a totally partisan fashion. They recreated the facts. I think that continued through the rise of the world of Hearst and Pulitzer it at sort of though disappeared with the Second World War more than anything and you had an era of seemingly even handed news.
Speaker 4: Why do you think there's so much hostility towards the press and distrust of the press in general even before Trump.
Speaker 9: There has been a war by the Republican right on the press for the last 15 years. Yeah it has been a hallmark of the 21st century. Rather than Trump only phenomena even though it has been exaggerated that's part of it. Part of it is we didn't used to have a liberal TV network and an ultra conservative TV network. We didn't have bright bars. We didn't have the Huffington Post 20 years ago that to a large extent there has been a outgrowth of partisan media.
Speaker 4: Is there any hope and I addressed this both Ed and Walter for our news media in the current climate to come back to where people have solid sources of reliable information.
Speaker 8: I don't see the route out because I believe that there are fundamental market forces and fundamental American forces and fundamental bits of psychology that has driven us to where we are. And I don't necessarily see them coming back together because there will be that same commercial interest that same drive after the election no matter who wins during this period.
Speaker 5: The New York Times has significantly gained circulation. The Washington Post has significantly gained circulation. There is a large audience for newspapers and mostly through their Web sites. In addition although it's not nearly as sexy as what happened on Hannity last night or what Rachel Maddow said at 9:00 p.m. Eastern there are about 25 million Americans who tune in every night to watch the old fashion evening newscasts on the three legacy broadcast networks at six thirty. We don't focus enough on the appetite in this country for serious journalism because it's not as beguiling leading new and alarming as the fake news hyper partisan discussion that we have constantly on. Oh my God Fox News has MSNBC gone too far to the left.
Speaker 10: All of those questions let's hold that thought. We're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 11: Coming up after the break depending right now on what polls you look at. There have never been fewer undecided voters since we started polling in the 1970s wearing an era of intense partisanship which means people are much less likely to turn on a debate and say you know I never thought of that before.
Speaker 12: On medicine we're still practicing. Join Dr. Stephen pare back and Bill Kurtis for real conversations. But the medical professionals who have their finger on the pulse of health care in the modern world. Available on all your favorite podcasting platforms produced by critical media.
Speaker 2: So what's he gonna do about it.
Speaker 3: We're back with Walter Shapiro. And at last.
Speaker 4: Walter we talked earlier about the Nixon and Kennedy debates and we're going to be facing several debates in this coming election. It was said that the Nixon Kennedy debate was really dispositive in terms of who won that election. To think that the debates coming up between Biden and Trump will determine the outcome of this election.
Speaker 5: No. Let me explain why. In 1960 going back to some of the things Ed said about the fact that we were much less partisan country and political parties were made up of big coalitions that there were many more undecided voters. There were many more voters who did not know based on just party I.D. who they would vote for. We had just come out of two Eisenhower landslides in a row following 20 years of Democratic control of the White House. So to a large extent it was a volatile electorate with many swing voters depending right now on what polls you look at. There have never been fewer undecided voters since we started polling in the 1970s that depending on your poll you're talking three to five percent undecided even before Trump in 2012. When Obama and Mitt Romney was breathtakingly stable. So to a large extent we're in an era of intense partisanship which means people are much less likely to end on a debate and say you know I never thought of that before. I know that Donald Trump has a lot to say for himself. I think the odds are high that nothing before the debates have moved the polls significantly since March not the epidemic not black lives matter not the Republican and Democratic conventions. So the safe guess is that nothing as you move very much progressed in the debates despite the fact that the impulse of all press is to merely say ah ha that's a game changing moment.
Speaker 4: Walter two national polls really mean anything our president gets elected by electors and how electors are picked are determined not only state by state but often precinct by precinct. So one thing that drives me crazy is in August they promote all these national polls to try to keep the contest going.
Speaker 5: It is cheaper to do one national poll than to do a separate poll for Pennsylvania. A separate poll for Wisconsin. A separate poll for Michigan. The sampling is roughly the same whether you're talking about a universe of 10 million voters or University of 130 million voters where national polls are really overhyped is during the presidential primaries because not only do individual states vote in the primaries but individual states vote in sequence at least in the fall election. All the votes are geared towards one election not 50 separate primary elections.
Speaker 4: With respect to covert How has the pandemic combined with the current news affected coverage of the campaigns.
Speaker 9: First of all the pandemic has been one of the few good sides other than the growth of home banking has been that this is a wonderful boost for pollsters because suddenly people are at home they're bored and they're actually answering the telephone. But polling questions are by nature a little rough a little a blunderbuss lie can you keep people on the phone long enough. They often posed choices on issues that don't fit the way somebody actually thinks. So I really love having free form conversations with voters in swing states say in a diner outside of Columbus Ohio. The point is that that is not possible during a pandemic because no one wants a stranger plopping down next to them while they're eating dinner in a diner. I don't want to spend time indoors.
Speaker 5: We don't know what effect the absence of campaigning has really had on the election because the major effect of a campaign appearance is for both the Challenger and the incumbent president to dominate local media. But again we don't have a good hand on what the absence of campaigning has really done to this election.
Speaker 4: What do you think the impact of the pandemic will be on Americans view of governance. I know Ed you're a historian not a not a futurist but there's been a lot of talk about this pandemic changing people's views of government and the role of government. Do you see it staying the same or changing.
Speaker 7: I see it driving people apart even more because I just like Walter I talk with different people and they each have their own narrative. There are people who believe that this shows that the federal government is corrupt that the only functional government is at the county level. I hear that from many people the CDC can't be trusted none of them can be trusted and therefore weakening their faith in government where another group takes the opposite you point and say that no no. We needed government we need government to step in. And so you're going to see that narrative driven by their own separate media and they'll have their own narratives driving them to different ways. And because of the so-called failed response in America it will even feed the two narratives even more.
Speaker 4: Walter until the pandemic you were on the road a lot. What's your stance.
Speaker 13: What's my sense is that I think if Biden is elected and certainly looks that way the biggest challenge he will face is creating faith in government to handle the pandemic competently and how he would handle the rollout for the vaccine which I hope is coming in early next year and how we would handle safety precautions and how we would handle massively expanding testing is really probably the biggest challenge of the Biden presidency. And if he's successful with it I think we would take a totally different view of government. If he is unsuccessful with it then I think we are on a downward slide of this trust.
Speaker 4: What do you think we should expect on election night November 3rd.
Speaker 14: Everywhere you turn there's somebody else with another dystopian scenario of what could happen on election night. Trump will declare victory when the absentees are counted there'll be a blue shift and that this will be seen as a corrupt way of changing the election outcomes.
Speaker 13: But all of this assumes the TV networks will call states based on incomplete returns on election night. I think that is very unlikely. Even Fox News has really prided itself on a totally professional decision desk. I think the difference from a normal election night is that instead of a massive number of red and blue states we're going to have a number of key states that are white for undecided. I'm really hoping that the networks will be very precise in saying we only have 56 percent of the vote in Ohio. We only have 48 percent of the vote in Pennsylvania rather than doing the deceptive ninety nine percent of precincts reporting. Because what that implies is that these are ninety nine percent of the votes. When really it's ninety nine percent of the day of reports from the precincts but the much more important thing is while it is looking like the count may be slow in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin there are states to start counting absentee ballots well in advance of Election Day. Florida for all the controversy of 2000 and the hanging chads is a fast counting state. You just happen to be evenly divided in 2000. Arizona is another fast counting state. North Carolina is a third fast counting state. And the point is that we show that Biden has on election night that Biden has won Florida whereas one North Carolina and Arizona and lost Florida it is almost impossible for Donald Trump to cobble together enough states to win.
Speaker 15: We may not have the 270 and the ball coming down on election night but we will have a very clear idea of who's ahead at any comments on that I just add that I hope Walter's right.
Speaker 7: I'm not as optimistic because I think that regardless of what the media does the president may call it for himself. And there are states states like Arizona and Florida and even in a way Wisconsin and North Carolina where the legislature is firmly in control of the Republican Party a party that might be responsive to Trump's claims. Now I don't know that's true. Again I've often said I'm not a prophet.
Speaker 14: I'm a historian and I will be ready to analyze it after the fact to some extent Ed you were referring in part to a Atlantic Monthly article by Barton Gellman that talked about legislators setting their own set of electors to Washington. But what gets complicated here is even if all Republicans who will go along in these states which I'm still somewhat dubious about there are Democratic governors in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan and North Carolina in Arizona there is a Democratic secretary of state.
Speaker 13: These possibilities are far from unequivocal. And I think to some extent we have gotten ourselves into so caught up in two new dystopian Trump induced fears that we are beginning to confuse what could in theory happen with what will happen. And while these are not impossible scenarios are low probability scenarios.
Speaker 4: But each one of them is treated as likely the last question is not so much on our topic but I know we're running out of time Walter. You were a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter. How many speech writers were there and how did that process go.
Speaker 14: It was impressive group. Chris Matthews was there. Jim Fallows was there recruits Berg of the New Yorker was there I was there. I was very much a junior speechwriter my friend Jonathan Alter has a biography of Jimmy Carter coming out of rush hour now. And I've reviewed it. Oddly enough the opening anecdote in the book is about Jimmy Carter giving a speech in June 1979 unveiling the first White House solar panels. And it happens to be in my speech and admittedly in that speech Jimmy Carter said there William Henry Harrison who governed for one month in 1841 was the president who brought all elected president to the White House because obviously he was the grandson Benjamin Harrison but all the way through. I wrote William Henry Harrison and it survived five different levels of vetting and Jimmy Carter repeated it. And it wasn't until the New York Times the next day pointed out that William Henry Harrison had died about three years before Thomas Edison inventor of the electric light bulb was born. And it is telling that I never heard a peep.
Speaker 3: Walter Shapiro Ed Larson thank you Walter. How can our viewers find you online and on social media. Let us merely recommend.
Speaker 14: At Mr. Walter Shapiro Twitter is the best way.
Speaker 16: But there is also archives of my work. If you've been just a Google Walter Shapiro New Republic. Walter Shapiro roll call. And Walter Shapiro burning center you will each come to a perfect insomnia might collect this wonderful.
Speaker 2: I'd also like to thank our producers Mike Thomas and A.J. Mosley sound engineering was done by Michael Kennedy music for politics. Meet me in the middle is composed and performed by Celeste and Eric Dick. And thanks to our listeners for tuning in today please share the podcast with your friends and family. And tune in next week for our next episode of politics. Meet me in the middle.
Speaker 1: From Kurkov media media for your mind.