S1: From Kerkow media
S2: coming up on the show, and I think, again, the biggest way that this changes my practice is to just have that much more empathy for our patients and our providers go through together. And so I'm really hoping that once we can get through some of the severity of this and have more of it behind us, I really do think that as a system we'll be able to look back and not just think about what needs to change, but how proud we are of how we stepped up and saved a lot of people, I think. Dr..
S3: Well, we continue with our special Johns Hopkins series focused on practitioners and processes, on the absolute cutting edge of medicine. This episode, we're exploring an aspect of care that goes well beyond the types of physical medical care that comes to mind when thinking of treatments for severe illness or injury. One of the reasons that Johns Hopkins is among the highest regarded health care institutions in the country is that they treat the whole patient, not just the physical, but also the mind, the psyche, the emotions of a patient and the journey to recovery. Today, you'll meet another Johns Hopkins specialist. But this doctor brings us the edge of the art in patient psychological care. This is medicine we're still practicing. I'm Bill Kurtis. First, of course, my co-host, the quadruple board certified doctor of
S4: internal medicine, pulmonary
S3: disease, critical care and neuro critical care. And my very best friend, Dr. Stephen Tayback. How are you doing, Steve?
S1: Hey, Bill. Good to see you.
S3: Nice to see you. Looking forward to seeing you in person very soon.
S1: Right around the corner. It sounds like
S3: our special guest, Dr. Megan Hosie, is an assistant professor at Johns Hopkins Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. She specializes in helping patients adjust to chronic illness, critical illness, critical illness, survivorship, acute and chronic pain management, neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation, fatigue management and health psychology intervention. Welcome, Megan. It's nice to have you here.
S2: It's great to be here. Thanks so much.
S3: So, Megan, you mind if we get attacked some of the unique situations that covid has brought us? Because I'd be interested in some of the new challenges that covid has brought your work?
S2: Yeah, sure. So just to give you a framework for what I usually get to do, I usually get to work in our medical intensive care unit where our patients are mechanically ventilated and they may be on medications keeping them alive. Things like these oppressor's. And of course, they need life
S4: support that might help other end
S2: organ function like
S4: kidneys, etc..
S2: I get called in to work with the team when we have patients who are
S4: coping with anxiety, delirium, hospital
S2: demoralisation,
S4: any of these things
S2: that might get in the way of their participation with the medical
S4: team or
S2: with their rehab engagements. And in the wake of covid, things have been different in a few ways. So of course, we have everyone taking on and off this PPE and that can be quite scary for patients. I know. And some of your previous podcasts, you might have been talking with my
S4: colleagues about ICU delirium.
S2: Just as a refresher, this is these changes in attention, increases in hallucinations and delusions that patients might have as a result of things like infection, medications,
S4: just being
S2: in a bizarre hospital environment. So any time we're walking in for these patients in this bizarre PPE,
S4: we've
S2: been finding that a really important tweak is to remind people what it
S4: is, along with the
S2: general reorientation that we're doing. So, for example, we'll tell people where they are, why they're there, and we'll say, I'm wearing these masks. And that's to protect us from infection, for example,
S4: because
S2: patients having hallucinations and delusions don't really understand what that is.
S1: And that that actually is very counterproductive. Right. I mean, you're already hallucinatory and
S4: delusional and suddenly
S1: somebody comes in with a paper or whatever you're using for your PPE that would only fuel one's delusion and paranoia, I would assume, at that time.
S2: We think it's still very early in the process. So we haven't
S4: been able to debrief or
S2: talk this through with a lot of our patients. But what we know from previous SARS and H1N1 epidemics is that people do report those hallucinations and delusions in the PPE as well as the isolation
S4: are additional
S2: risk factors for negative mental health outcomes.
S1: Aside from introducing yourself any other techniques that can give you leverage on a patient who might be half in and half out of
S4: reality to help ease
S1: their mind and their psyche?
S2: I think the main thing that we spend time telling patients
S4: is you're at Johns Hopkins. And in the context
S2: of conversation, we might say, and now that it's noon at Johns Hopkins, we'll do X and Y and Z, for example, if the nurse is breathing or providing a medication, they'll remind them what they're about to do. They will briefly mention that they're breathing with the help of events because often patients don't really have a sense of what's happening with that. And then finally, a really important one in the wake of covid is reminding people that their loved ones may not be in the
S4: hospital because of the
S2: visitor restrictions
S4: and letting
S2: them know, hopefully, that all of their loved ones are safe. A common delusion for patients is for them to think that something really terrible has happened to a loved one.
S1: You know, been in practice for twenty nine years and I've not seen your
S4: position in any
S1: hospital. I've. Work that and I've worked with several over the years and actually what happens in the academic center is it takes time to filter down to the community and ultimately it should, because that's the whole point.
S4: And so right
S1: now, we're in the process of trying to minimize delirium by keeping our patients awake at all times and minimizing sedation. But what we don't have is you the
S4: resource from the psychological
S1: support. And so that's something that's being taken care of as
S4: best we can by nurses
S1: and
S4: physicians. So what advice do you
S1: have to us? Who are we are in this watershed area where we're trying to keep our patients awake, but then how are we going to give them the same kind of support that you were giving when we really don't have those resources?
S2: I think that right
S4: now my perception
S2: is that we're in a space where we don't give the nurses and docs a whole lot of time to be doing this extra emotional support. So that's a big shift just from a basic psychological and behavioral perspective. Whenever we ask a person to change their behavior, to stop doing something, we have to give them something else to be able to do instead.
S4: Right. And so I
S2: think ABCDE F model is one of the most common things that we
S4: rely on. So involving family, perhaps
S2: including things
S4: like Zoome and allowing
S2: the family to be a part of the patient's care whenever possible. Again, that providing really basic reorientation for patients who are delirious,
S4: ensuring
S2: that the
S4: environment is conducive as
S2: it can be to keeping people alert and awake. So that means the setting matches the time of day.
S4: So if it's morning, we
S2: have shades open. If it's evening were quiet and really promoting sleep, I think that that also means just a mindset that says this person might be having one of the very worst days of their life. And so
S4: when they're awake, alert
S2: and potentially not fully engaging with us or sort of what we would say, like refusing or being non adherent, sort of thinking through with the patients about why
S4: that might be, and sort of
S2: eliciting some ways that we can
S4: change that if the patient's
S2: not delirious.
S3: So getting back to a place that has nurses who have lots of other things to worry about, who do you suggest hop in and try to accomplish some of your recommendations?
S2: Well, I think what we're increasingly finding
S4: is that a lot of these efforts
S2: are what we call transdisciplinary.
S4: So just
S2: knowing the basics of the ABCDE
S4: F Bundall
S2: is something that can be known and acknowledged team wide. So if anybody comes into the room and notices this patient hasn't talked to their family member in over forty eight hours or this patient is sort of sitting in the dark and appearing delirious, what are the basic environmental strategies that we can do? I think that that's something that everybody on a care team can start to pick up. My area of research is in looking at self-management protocols, meaning can we teach the patients how to manage their own anxiety, how to ask the questions in a really focused way so that they get the information that they're looking for, for their docs? Can we give them ways to do self-monitoring of symptoms as they start to go home to reduce readmissions?
S4: So we're hoping that
S2: partnering with a
S4: psychologist can help the
S2: patients learn to self manage. But we need more data on that. And I think once we have the data, then we'll be able to have more places advocate to have somebody
S4: like me that will help
S2: from not only a monetary standpoint to help administrators understand why you might need somebody taking care of the mental health aspects of the patient. But it also would give the teams more confidence that they don't have to feel
S4: like they have to do all of these
S2: parts. Right. As you were mentioning, the nurses are being asked to do more and more things all the time. And so implementing a relaxation strategy or being with the
S4: patient for the full course of event weening
S2: trial is really a lot to
S4: ask them. And so what
S2: we're starting to say is, can we flesh out that members of the team and make this a more transdisciplinary
S4: effort?
S1: So what strategies do you implement for patients who are actually in the ICU in terms of anxiety, awareness and perhaps self-control versus when they finally get out of the ICU?
S4: But what is the difference there?
S1: Or are they are they similar?
S2: So there are some differences. And of course, we can't treat the anxiety until delirium is treated. So that's sort of my first step.
S4: Always when I get
S2: to meet the patient is to sort of make sure they're not delirious.
S4: The next step
S2: might be to learn about what their life was like before they came to the hospital, including if they have any mental health history like depression or anxiety and learning about what they were using to do to help themselves relax or feel like they
S4: had control
S2: over their
S4: environment before.
S2: So those are all
S4: some of the basics for
S2: patients
S4: who might be having
S2: difficulty liberating from the vents. And if the team thinks that the primary driver of that is anxiety, mostly what we're talking about is distraction. So for people with really acute anxiety. In the face of trouble, liberating from the vents, we don't work on relaxation
S4: techniques, we don't
S2: focus on
S4: breathing, because the
S2: paradoxical thing is the more the patient thinks about that, the more scared they get. So we really put into place a
S4: plan to do
S2: things like zoom with a family member
S4: to get music
S2: going that they really like to have some other stimulating activity,
S4: like coloring anything
S2: else to get their mind off the breathing until they can liberate from the bends. Once people are liberated from the vent, it becomes a different ball of wax. Then we're talking about breathing,
S4: retraining, relaxation
S2: strategies and something that we call exposure to overcome anxiety. The exposure is something that I get to partner with physical therapists and sometimes physicians on. We acknowledge that the patient is feeling more scared. Getting back to doing stuff after you've had breathing difficulty is inherently scary. We take it bit by bit
S4: and say breathing is
S2: going to feel
S4: weird.
S2: It might feel like you're a bit dizzy or hypertensive, but every day we're going to push it a little harder and you're going to gain your confidence in your body back.
S1: What are some of the mistakes that US health care workers, physicians, nurses do at the bedside? What are our
S4: biggest infractions,
S1: if you will, that actually
S4: cause your job to
S1: be harder and escalate the patient's anxiety as opposed to alleviating?
S2: You know, I think that nurses and docs are really doing anything specifically wrong. Again, I think that this is some of the environment that pulls for some of the challenges for patients.
S4: So any time we're
S2: moving around really fast and doing stuff without incorporating
S4: them is a time when
S2: we're setting somebody up for anxiety. So, for example, any time we're thinking about placing a catheter, any time we're thinking about doing take care, any time we're thinking about administering a med on the provider side, this is something that we do day in and day out all the time. But for
S4: patients, this is all
S2: brand
S4: new. And so any
S2: time we have the
S4: opportunity to even do
S2: something as simple as next, I'm going to take and then explain whatever the medication is. This is going to help you with X and then as a result, you'll experience Y. So, for example, today we're going to help put in a catheter.
S4: This is going to help you pee.
S2: You know, it's going to feel like a pinch for a second and then you might not notice it after that. You know, these kinds of very simple, looping them into whatever we're doing throughout the day can help people stay
S4: oriented, stay confident
S2: and still feel like they have some control.
S3: But we're going to take a very quick break. We'll be right back with the psychological side of ICU stays with Johns Hopkins, Dr. Megan Hosie.
S2: A moment of your time, a new podcast from Kerkow Media, currently 21 years old. And today, like magic, extended from her fingertips down to the blood to take care of
S1: yourself because the world needs you and you, me.
S2: Every do gooder that asked about me was ready to spit on my dream fingers
S3: who are facing you feel like your purpose in your worth is really being done to stop me from playing the piano.
S2: She buys walkie talkies, wonders to whom she should give the second dose.
S1: Don't love
S3: humans. We never did. We never will be just fine. Well, you do have
S1: rock climbing is that you can only focus on what's right in life and so are American life begins.
S2: We may need to stay apart, but let's create together available on all podcast platforms. Submit your piece at Kerkow Dotcom, slash a moment of your time.
S3: OK, we're back with Johns Hopkins, Dr. Megan Hosie. Megan, let's talk about covid for a minute. So let's start here with how you manage the family, the fact that you couldn't visit your loved one, you were apart, and you needed minute by minute reports on how they were doing and you wanted to interact with them. How did you deal with the stresses on the family?
S2: So for me, the families
S4: were our most valuable asset, again, with
S2: our patients being more deeply sedated in the early
S4: stages of covid recovery.
S2: The families were really our only window to who these folks were before they became ill. It was the case
S4: until we opened up our
S2: visitor restrictions within the last week or
S4: so that I would spend an
S2: hour on the phone with
S4: families learning about
S2: who their loved one was, what
S4: they were up to
S2: on a day to day basis before they came to stay with us and really trying to figure out how can we help this person
S4: be more comfortable now that they're
S2: with us. So learning about things like what brings them joy, what brings them comfort, what brings them relaxation?
S4: From my vantage point, your work with
S1: family, I think is
S4: paramount because the
S1: families are equally sometimes more anxious than the
S4: patients are, and they
S1: will convey that anxiety
S4: unintentionally to their loved
S1: one when they talk to them in the ICU or when they zoome with them in the ICU. So if you can allay the family's fears and concerns
S4: enough or instruct
S1: them on how to communicate with their loved one that's in the ICU, it's really a game changer. I applaud what you're doing.
S4: We need to clone you and
S1: distribute you to multiple hospitals in the area.
S2: Well, thank you. I hope that's the case. And I totally agree with what you're saying.
S4: Family members in most
S2: instances, so want to advocate for their loved ones, so want them to get the best care possible.
S4: And so there are just a
S2: few things
S4: families do that are
S2: very modifiable, I find.
S4: So a first one
S2: is sometimes patients and families might follow the lead of providers and get really hung up on specific medications or specific lab values and really want to be invested in that. When there are other bigger picture
S4: issues going on in other different
S2: ways, they can support the patient. And so in those instances, I might say something like, I know how hard this is. I know you're advocating for your loved one and that this is scary.
S4: But for just
S2: a few minutes, I'm going to ask you to take off this medicine hat, this physician hat, this nurse hat, and I'm going to ask you to put your wife hat on. Another thing we often
S4: see either if the
S2: patient's family member is on Zoome or if they're in person is quizzing.
S4: So, you know, the
S2: patient might look uncomfortable. And if we haven't done enough coaching for the family to say, look, when we go in, you're going to see X, Y and
S4: Z, and sometimes
S2: that means the patient looks breathless or the catheter might not be sitting quite the right way. So they might look like they need adjusting these types of things. If we don't do that ahead of time, you might see a family member walk in and do something that looks like this. Are you having a hard time breathing? Do you need to get up? Do you need your pillow adjusted? Are your underwear too tight? And then the patient is completely flooded and overwhelmed.
S4: So just coaching the
S2: family on how to follow the patient's lead, how to keep quiet, calm environment, just knowing that patients follow us if we're scared, they're going to be scared. So us being confident and calm is the number one way to go.
S4: What we see is our
S1: biggest one of our biggest challenges is Dr.
S4: Google is you have family
S1: members who want to control the situation. They know more than we do because they've read it online.
S4: And so they have
S1: all sorts of a checklist for the physicians. Why are you not doing X, Y, Z? It says online you're supposed
S4: to be, which is
S1: fine for them to question me as a physician. I'm OK with that. I'm happy to feel those questions. But oftentimes well-meaning, they'll say to the patient lying in the bed, your doctor is doing the wrong thing because I just read it online. You're supposed to be doing X, Y, Z. How unnerving is that for a patient lying in bed thinking that they're with the health
S4: care system that's ignoring
S1: what needs to be done?
S2: Yeah, in those situations, I think exactly what you're seeing. I'm happy to take any questions
S4: you have, and I want us
S2: to think together about how to help your loved ones feel the most comfortable in this situation. Some of this stuff is in their control,
S4: like when they get
S2: up for pity, when they do oral
S4: care, some of this stuff is
S2: not in their control.
S4: And so if we kind of let
S2: them have control over the things that they can and sort of shield them from this other stuff that's not in their control, we think that that's going to be better for their mental health outcomes and for their ability to sort of work with us as we move forward.
S4: How important is
S3: injecting or helping to
S4: inject a positive
S3: attitude into the patient?
S2: So from my perspective,
S4: it's not as
S2: important for the patient to have a positive attitude. I think the most important thing that a patient should have is a set of goals and a team of people who can sort of help them strive towards the goals. And positive attitudes are things that kind of come
S4: and go throughout
S2: hospitalization. It's totally normal if a patient feels really great about where they're at one day, have a medical backslide and feel a little bit
S4: pessimistic the next
S2: day, I think that that's totally
S4: part of the process. The most important
S2: thing I think, to help people cope again is to just listen to where they're trying to get
S4: to and make sure that
S2: we're doing everything in
S4: our power to get them
S2: to that outcome or to that goal.
S1: I think an adjunct to that which I actually learned when my father developed
S4: cancer now 20
S1: some odd years ago, and I was going to give him honestly, this is what you have the statistics
S4: and I could see the color drain
S1: from his face. And my mother look at me and I realized what was missing from me trying to be honest, was I was taking away all hope. And what you're getting at, Bill, is positive attitudes are going to come and go, right? You're going to have good days, bad days, discouraging days at the bottom line of the whole thing. I think it's important that patients feel hope and that you are able to convey to
S4: them that you have
S1: today. We backslid, but don't let that take you down a rabbit hole.
S4: This is normal.
S1: You're going to get better and worse, better and worse and sort of an undulating, oscillating fashion until we get to the finish line and you will get to the finish line. Obviously, you don't say these things if it's clear that there is no hope.
S4: You don't want to mislead patients.
S1: You don't want to do that. But one can't know for sure on your patients.
S4: Even if they're on multiple
S1: pressors and their kidneys are
S4: failing, there's still reason
S1: for hope. Otherwise, we wouldn't be in the ICU doing what we're doing. And it's important, I think, to
S4: continually communicate
S1: the fact that we are hopeful
S4: that we have seen people worse than you
S1: who are walking around today and living normal lives. And that's what we're going to get you to. That's our goal, is to take you there.
S4: You can't take
S1: away that hope that we all feel as practitioners.
S3: So, Megan, during the year and change of covid, how did you deal with the
S4: idea that a patient
S3: was watching television and they were watching mortality rates and
S4: sometimes commentators
S3: on TV who really didn't know what they were talking about and the patient either losing hope or let's be honest, there were people who weren't in the hospital and they coughed and they suddenly said, oh, I'm going to die of covid. So now you multiply. This time someone who is actually in the ICU, they're watching CNN with all the numbers on the right hand side and all of a sudden you're competing with the media for the attention of the patient. Was that happening a lot during the process?
S2: This is triggering a memory of of May for me. So I remember one of our amazing nurse practitioners in the medical intensive care unit saying there was a period of time where we were calling it fall off a cliff. Right. They were managing at home, managing at home, and then all of a sudden they were in the E.D. and they were being intubated with this. And it would
S4: happen within hours.
S2: So we were having a series of patients
S4: who were sedated
S2: for a longer period of time, were starting to wake up and we were having conversations with them
S4: that, you know, you've been in the
S2: hospital for this long. You're now a bit weak physically, and we're helping you train to get off the vent. So they would be having these very strong reactions to how long they'd been sedated. How did I even wind up here? And there were a couple of points where the nurse practitioner
S4: said people are
S2: panicking when they when we tell them that they're here because of
S4: covid like they didn't do
S2: this. But there were points where the nurse practitioner was saying is, is it worse to tell them that they're here because of covid? So it was scary for a while. And what I will say is that really quickly,
S4: once people were coming
S2: off the sedation, were recovering, we were pretty able to say, like, we think you're stable and you're going to have a good
S4: outcome in a lot of
S2: those situations. We saw a lot
S4: of I think
S2: I would call it like a double edged sword. So we saw a lot of gratitude and patients just going. I mean, I was one of the
S4: few who made it in these early
S2: days.
S4: And the other side of
S2: the sword was a bit of survivor's guilt. I think,
S4: like what made me so
S2: lucky. Why did I get to make it, especially in the early days? Again, we're seeing this less
S4: now, but where we would
S2: have multiple family members affected and perhaps one died and one didn't.
S1: Dr. Hosie, how has this changed your life and your perspective on practice? And are you suffering? Do you feel any PTSD from what you've been through the past year?
S2: I've never seen anything like this ever. And I think the way that it's
S4: changed my life
S2: is I feel very grateful for the medical system that I work in. I'm very inspired by all of the practitioners that I get to work with. I mean, people who in the early days said I might be negatively affected by this, but I'm going to put on my PPE and I'm going to do the best I can anyway.
S4: That's very
S2: inspiring. I think the way that it
S4: changes my practice
S2: in
S4: that it deepens
S2: some of the things that we already knew, how vulnerable it can feel to be in the hospital, how somebody whose prognosis or trajectory can change in
S4: a day in either
S2: direction. I think these are things we knew already, but have seen so much more of it now. I think you're your final question
S4: was about PTSD.
S2: I mean, I would say
S4: in May and June,
S2: I was having some irritability
S4: and I was
S2: having some
S4: dreams about
S2: my patients and their families. And I think the things that made it easiest to cope with were my colleagues. So I have a bunch of psychologist colleagues. I have Dale Needham and Marty Brodsky, who you've had the opportunity to talk to already. So and all of the colleagues in the McHugh. So having that
S4: contingent of people
S2: made it
S4: really OK to like unpack knowing that there
S2: were other people who sort of understood what was happening and would be able to talk to them about it, made it
S4: better. What made it
S2: harder at that time, though? I think all of this is getting easier, made it harder. That time was to go to
S4: work and see the things
S2: we were seeing and hear the things we were hearing and then have loved ones or family members kind of say, well, is it really that big a deal?
S4: Is this really
S2: as hard as everyone says it
S4: is? But I think that there
S2: was some real scary early days. But I think I'm OK now.
S4: And people like
S2: Dr. Tayback know how to treat this so much better than we did in the
S4: beginning. At least here at Hopkins, we now have a funnel of support to
S2: pass our patients along to our most
S4: acute covid team can catch
S2: patients on the other side, which makes us feel a little bit more confident about their recoveries.
S4: And I think
S2: that, again, the biggest way that this changes my practice is to just have that much more empathy for our patients and our providers go through together. And so I'm really hoping that once we can get through some of the severity of this and have more of it behind us, I really do think that as
S4: a system we'll be able to look
S2: back and not just think about what needs to
S4: change, but how proud we are of how we stepped up
S2: and saved a lot of people. I think,
S1: you know, I just spoke a little bit to our medical staff and our nursing staff. And I think that was one of the things that really impressed me the most is I mean, I always make the comparison to to the military and there's some training about being forward deployed.
S4: We had no training. One day
S1: you're on your couch watching TV and you're enjoying your life with your family and then
S4: suddenly you're at war
S1: and nobody asked you. But you are on the front lines.
S4: Certainly the nursing staff is amazing to me how they
S1: just
S4: stepped up, put their
S1: PPE on, stayed at the bedside of the doctors, and we would jump in the room and out of the room. You know,
S4: quickly, the nurses are
S1: there feeding patients 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and they're just accepting the realities and accepting the
S4: risks and taking care of
S1: people like they always do. And you do get this renewed and heightened sense of respect and admiration for the people that you work with.
S3: Let me ask you this. After some major battles in a war, one of the things that the VA has to deal with is PTSD, sometimes a year or years later
S4: when it really hits, who's going to take
S3: care of the health care workers and focus on making sure that after they return from this battle that they're taking care of.
S4: So I want to stay
S2: humble about what all this is going to look like. I will say so if you want to read some interesting stuff on psychological recovery after
S4: trauma or potentially
S2: traumatic events, there's this guy at Columbia
S4: called George Bonanno
S2: and he
S4: researches what we called
S2: trajectories of recovery,
S4: meaning that a certain
S2: proportion of
S4: patients or people
S2: hit a traumatic event and they had already been kind of struggling. Right. So we would call those people who have chronic challenges. There were a proportion of people who are doing just fine before and they might persist and
S4: be find during
S2: a traumatic event. There might be people who take an early hit in their anxiety,
S4: depression, PTSD
S2: levels, but then sort of normalize.
S4: And long story
S2: short, his research suggests that the majority of people
S4: will return to
S2: some
S4: sense of of
S2: normalcy and not have PTSD, anxiety and depression. So the lessons that I. For that from this hour, for providers to just be honest with themselves, if you're struggling a little bit before the pandemic or if you had
S4: any inklings
S2: towards mental health challenges before, this was probably not going to help. And so getting your self care and acknowledging that and getting the people around you who will support you and not judge you on that is going to be very important.
S4: Right.
S2: So if you had something
S4: before, this probably isn't going to be super helpful.
S2: I say for everybody, if you are having trouble with your function, like you're dreading going to work, and that's new. Like if you never dreaded going to work before and that persists six months after, this is sort of more behind us.
S4: That's something to talk
S2: to somebody
S4: about. If you are
S2: having lots of trouble in your relationship in the wake of all of this. That's something to talk to your partner and potentially
S4: get some help about.
S2: Just, again, if it's really impacting an important part of your life in a negative way, get help.
S1: I think that's great advice because, you know, we still live in a
S4: culture where, you know, just
S1: suck it up and stiff upper lip and go do what you're supposed to do. And that doesn't really work here.
S4: These are different times.
S1: These are
S4: probably
S1: the greatest cultural adversities that we've all been
S4: facing and we're facing it together.
S1: Getting help probably is not a bad recommendation for most of us.
S4: Yeah, and I think that
S2: that's a, you know,
S4: stressed, anxious,
S2: uncertain. I think that those are all extremely
S4: normal responses
S2: to all of this. Like I mentioned, I mean, May and June, I definitely noticed a change in myself and reached out to help for some colleagues and and stuff. And my red flags, again, just in case it helps somebody, is that I was I was feeling irritable,
S4: you know,
S2: in that looked like snapping at loved ones that I don't usually then that's not usually
S4: me, you know, dreams and
S2: nightmares about patients and families that was
S4: new and just kind of chronically
S2: worrying about this stuff and not being able to put it away. So those were my red flags to kind of reach out for help.
S4: And so that's what I would invite
S2: folks to do, is just if you're looking at your day to day and
S4: seeing this is how
S2: I don't feel like myself or this is the way my loved ones or the people around me have been giving me, cuz I think that that's when it might be time to get some help.
S3: Dr. Megan Hosie, thank you so much for joining us today. This was enlightening. How can people follow you?
S2: Well I am on Twitter so you can follow me at Dr. Megan who's OK.
S3: Well, we're trying to inch toward the close of the show, but I've got to ask you for a health care provider who doesn't feel comfortable going to their own institution. Do we know of any directions that they can turn for help?
S2: I really think going to your own physician is really a good first step. And there are a couple of organizations now that can link medical providers who are struggling in the wake of covid with a psychotherapist free of service. So I would be happy to send you the links for those.
S3: We'll put that on our website as well. Thank you so much, Dr. Megan Hosie. And of course, to my very best friend, Dr. Steven Tayback. Thank you. Always a pleasure. Getting a chance to spend time with you, even if it is through these remote methods. I look forward to getting back to our brunches. We're Still Practicing is produced and edited by A.J. Mosley, mastering by Steve Rexburg Music for We're Still Practicing as composed and performed by Celeste Anorectic. Don't forget to hit the follow button so you don't have to hunt around for our next episode. And to all of you in the field of health care. Thank you for all you've done and all you continue to do. We'll catch you next week at. From Kerkow media media for your mind.